Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stuff

wrote:

>>On Sat, 26 May 2018 03:11:14 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri 25 May 2018 07:51:42p, U.S. Janet B. told us...

om...

>>>I prefer not discussing either religion or politics with anyone,
>>>individuals or groups. If I'm with a group of friends and either of
>>>those topics become a discussion I simply leave the room.

>>We had a group of friends in the 80s and we all did dinner parties for
>>the express reason of sitting down and discussing religion, sex and
>>politics, normally the three verboten subjects. We had some wild
>>conversations, it was great fun and nobody fell out over it.

>In other words you all sat around enjoyng a good out-lying each other.

No, it meant that instead of having filthy mouths like you, we could
discuss those things without having apoplectic fits and behaving like
8 year old kids.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 May 2018 07:52:41 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Sat, 26 May 2018 06:47:05 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>>> Exactly.
>>> Janet US

>>You two are twisting my words again and are understandably
>>resentful.
>>I'm not proud of my outburst but 3 "ladies" here deserved it.
>>Remember, you drew "first blood."
>>
>>Kick your friendly pet dog enough times and it will will bite you
>>too.
>>Don't then blame the dog for being evil.

>Get over yourself little man. The conversation has gone way past you
>and your little remark. Other more intelligent people are involved in
>a more broad concept now than -- what was it again that you said?

Correct - it did cause me, at the time, to revise my opinion of Gary
but he should not be surprised by that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 May 2018 10:03:21 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>On 5/26/2018 9:43 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> trump has no control and no brain

>+1
>
>nancy

+ 50 million
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 2:14:31 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> I have a severe grass allergy and am disabled so I need to hire someone to
> do at least some of then yard work and climb ladders and such.

What a shame that 'disability' does not include your fingers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 8:39:45 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Sat, 26 May 2018 03:23:52 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
> >I can remember dining with Catholics who were
> >offended that I ate meat on a Friday. Oh well. Methodists can eat what we
> >want. We just don't drink.

> You must have had some really rude Catholic friends. I never had a
> Catholic friend of mine even mention what I ate when we went out
> together on Fridays.
> Janet US

Nor I. Sounds like yet another one of Julie's bullshit tales she's so
fond of sharing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove > wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
>> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> That's a shame. Grandmom is usually better than the best daycare.

>> The year my daughter was age 12-13 she thought she could stay
>> alone while I worked but I didn't agree. I didn't want to leave
>> her alone at that age. Luckily, my mom and dad moved here for a
>> year and gramma took care of my daughter while I had to work.
>> Going to gramma's that summer while I worked didn't seem like a
>> babysitter to my daughter. It was perfect timing. Saved me lot's
>> of money too.

> Wow. I was babysitting at 12.

So was I.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-05-26 12:12 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 26 May 2018 04:45:54a, Ed Pawlowski told us...

>> Use of the term Sabbath mode has been made by manufacturers and
>> does not always guarantee full compliance with religious
>> requirements. Appliances sold with certification from a halachic
>> certification authority will have been audited and judged to be
>> compliant with that authority€„¢s requirement
>>

> My electric range has a Sabbath mode but I've never needed or wanted
> to use it. I'm aware of the practice of having a third party turning
> on lights or appliances for someone who observes the Sabbath.

I would have to say that is a pretty cheap trick. If they truly believe
that the appliance should not be used in the Sabbath, it should not be
used by anyone. If they really believe that they should not work on the
Sabbath, they should not have servants or anyone else doing any work.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-05-25 8:58 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>
>> Are you saying that "To each their own" also applies to religion?
>> Can't we have an opinion about anything at all? That's hard!

> Telling someone their religion is nonsense is not an opinion, it's an
> attack.

Telling someone they need religion and preaching at people is also an
attack. Praying for non believers is, IMO, offensive.

I used to work with a guy who had a serious religion problem. You could
not have any sort of conversation with the guy without him bringing God
and Jesus into it. He once had to have a meeting with our supervisor
and some from HR and he wanted them to get down on their knees and pray
with him before they started the meeting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 7:19:54 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> Telling someone they need religion and preaching at people is also an
> attack. Praying for non believers is, IMO, offensive.
>
> I used to work with a guy who had a serious religion problem. You could
> not have any sort of conversation with the guy without him bringing God
> and Jesus into it. He once had to have a meeting with our supervisor
> and some from HR and he wanted them to get down on their knees and pray
> with him before they started the meeting.

Everybody has their own religion. It's either one of God/nature or it's the religion of themselves. Personally, I'd feel safer around people that believe that there's something bigger than themselves.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On Sat, 26 May 2018 06:47:05 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>>> Exactly.
>>> Janet US

>>You two are twisting my words again and are understandably
>>resentful.
>>I'm not proud of my outburst but 3 "ladies" here deserved it.
>>Remember, you drew "first blood."
>>
>>Kick your friendly pet dog enough times and it will will bite you
>>too.
>>Don't then blame the dog for being evil.

>Get over yourself little man. The conversation has gone way past you
>and your little remark. Other more intelligent people are involved in
>a more broad concept now than -- what was it again that you said?

And more pomposity. We have two winners: Wayne and Janet US. Mr and
Mrs Pompous.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 May 2018 09:48:31 -0400, wrote:

>On Sat, 26 May 2018 13:29:10 +1000, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 25 May 2018 17:58:05 -0700, "Cheri" >
>>wrote:

>>>Telling someone their religion is nonsense is not an opinion, it's an
>>>attack.

>>He didn't say their whole religion was nonsense, but certain aspects
>>of it.

>That's still an attack.

I think the little snowflakes will survive.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 May 2018 07:47:39 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Fri, 25 May 2018 17:58:05 -0700, "Cheri" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Are you saying that "To each their own" also applies to religion?
>>> Can't we have an opinion about anything at all? That's hard!

>>Telling someone their religion is nonsense is not an opinion, it's an
>>attack.
>>
>>Cheri

>I don't like labeling. All it does is identifies groups of people
>that we can hate and abuse for no reason at all. Labeling makes
>pulling a
>knife and a taser on a couple of Egyptian Muslim exchange students
>eating a McDonalds burger in their car just fine and dandy.
>Janet US

Can I label people as pompous, though? I promise I won't hurt them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 May 2018 09:43:47 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 2:14:31 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> I have a severe grass allergy and am disabled so I need to hire someone to
>> do at least some of then yard work and climb ladders and such.
>>

>What a shame that 'disability' does not include your fingers.

So much hatred. There must be something wrong in your life.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 May 2018 12:38:21 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 7:19:54 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>>

>> Telling someone they need religion and preaching at people is also an
>> attack. Praying for non believers is, IMO, offensive.
>>
>> I used to work with a guy who had a serious religion problem. You could
>> not have any sort of conversation with the guy without him bringing God
>> and Jesus into it. He once had to have a meeting with our supervisor
>> and some from HR and he wanted them to get down on their knees and pray
>> with him before they started the meeting.

>Everybody has their own religion. It's either one of God/nature or it's the religion of themselves. Personally, I'd feel safer around people that believe that there's something bigger than themselves.

Even though most violent crimes are committed by people who believe
that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/26/2018 3:38 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> Everybody has their own religion. It's either one of God/nature or it's the religion of >themselves. Personally, I'd feel safer around people that believe that there's something >bigger than themselves.

Because someone who thinks he's got a higher being wouldn't hurt anyone?

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
>dsi1 wrote:
>
>> Everybody has their own religion. It's either one of God/nature or it's the religion of >themselves. Personally, I'd feel safer around people that believe that there's something >bigger than themselves.

>Because someone who thinks he's got a higher being wouldn't hurt anyone?
>
>nancy

That wou.ld be idiotic considering more people have been murdered in
the name of religion than for all other reasons combined.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/26/2018 4:17 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 5/26/2018 3:38 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>
>> Everybody has their own religion. It's either one of God/nature or
>> it's the religion of >themselves. Personally, I'd feel safer around
>> people that believe that there's something >bigger than themselves.

> Because someone who thinks he's got a higher being wouldn't hurt anyone?
>
> nancy

Much snippage above, I don't know what dsi1 is talking about. I'm a
nature lover but I don't worship nature. Seeing a lovely cloud or a
rainbow doesn't make me ponder about a diety. I enjoy the moment.
Might write or talk about it. That's about it.

People who believe in "higher beings" often hurt other people. I call
them religious fanatics.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-05-26 3:38 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 7:19:54 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

>> I used to work with a guy who had a serious religion problem. You
>> could not have any sort of conversation with the guy without him
>> bringing God and Jesus into it. He once had to have a meeting with
>> our supervisor and some from HR and he wanted them to get down on
>> their knees and pray with him before they started the meeting.

> Everybody has their own religion. It's either one of God/nature or
> it's the religion of themselves. Personally, I'd feel safer around
> people that believe that there's something bigger than themselves.

I don't feel very safe around people who think it is their duty to
convert or kill people who don't buy into their religion. I don't feel
comfortable in a community where there are silly laws based on religious
beliefs. There are simply too many different religions, each with their
own Us vs. Them Good vs. Evil issues.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 May 2018 17:16:16 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-05-26 3:38 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 7:19:54 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> I used to work with a guy who had a serious religion problem. You
>>> could not have any sort of conversation with the guy without him
>>> bringing God and Jesus into it. He once had to have a meeting with
>>> our supervisor and some from HR and he wanted them to get down on
>>> their knees and pray with him before they started the meeting.

>> Everybody has their own religion. It's either one of God/nature or
>> it's the religion of themselves. Personally, I'd feel safer around
>> people that believe that there's something bigger than themselves.

>I don't feel very safe around people who think it is their duty to
>convert or kill people who don't buy into their religion. I don't feel
>comfortable in a community where there are silly laws based on religious
>beliefs. There are simply too many different religions, each with their
>own Us vs. Them Good vs. Evil issues.

The good news today was that Ireland has finally decided to change its
abortion laws. When they went to interview the anti abortion side, it
was a man who said it was a very sad day for Ireland - really!!

It is interesting that the RC church is losing its thrall there,
almost its last bastion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 May 2018 18:35:56 -0300, wrote:

>On Sat, 26 May 2018 17:16:16 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>> Everybody has their own religion. It's either one of God/nature or
>>> it's the religion of themselves. Personally, I'd feel safer around
>>> people that believe that there's something bigger than themselves.

>>I don't feel very safe around people who think it is their duty to
>>convert or kill people who don't buy into their religion. I don't feel
>>comfortable in a community where there are silly laws based on religious
>>beliefs. There are simply too many different religions, each with their
>>own Us vs. Them Good vs. Evil issues.
>>

>The good news today was that Ireland has finally decided to change its
>abortion laws. When they went to interview the anti abortion side, it
>was a man who said it was a very sad day for Ireland - really!!
>
>It is interesting that the RC church is losing its thrall there,
>almost its last bastion.

You forget South America, parts of the third world, Poland etc etc.
Ireland is a totally insignificant speck on the map.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-05-26 5:35 PM, wrote:
> On Sat, 26 May 2018 17:16:16 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>> I don't feel very safe around people who think it is their duty to
>> convert or kill people who don't buy into their religion. I don't feel
>> comfortable in a community where there are silly laws based on religious
>> beliefs. There are simply too many different religions, each with their
>> own Us vs. Them Good vs. Evil issues.
>>

> The good news today was that Ireland has finally decided to change its
> abortion laws. When they went to interview the anti abortion side, it
> was a man who said it was a very sad day for Ireland - really!!

Bear in mind that reporters covering controversial social issues bend
over backwards to find the most radical people to interview. I am not
exactly pro-abortion, but I am definitely pro-Choice. I don't think
that abortion should be used as birth control. I would prefer that
people be taught about birth control and use it rather than resorting to
a medical procedure that carries some risks. I want abortion to be
legal so that women have the option of obtain safe abortions.

The anti abortion crowd is not all male. One of the few people I know
who is opposed to abortion in one of my sisters in law. She is not
involved with any anti abortion groups, but has supported them.

Then there are people like the ex wife of an old friend of mine who
proudly announced that she had had 5 abortions. Maybe she was trying to
make a statement that would get her labelled as a liberal, but it just
made me think she was an idiot. I would have expected that, like most
women who have had unwanted pregnancies, that she would have learned
from her mistake the first time.

> It is interesting that the RC church is losing its thrall there,
> almost its last bastion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 May 2018 17:49:03 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>The anti abortion crowd is not all male. One of the few people I know
>who is opposed to abortion in one of my sisters in law. She is not
>involved with any anti abortion groups, but has supported them.
>
>Then there are people like the ex wife of an old friend of mine who
>proudly announced that she had had 5 abortions. Maybe she was trying to
>make a statement that would get her labelled as a liberal, but it just
>made me think she was an idiot. I would have expected that, like most
>women who have had unwanted pregnancies, that she would have learned
>from her mistake the first time.

I wouldn't even let my cat have an abortion, let alone a human if I
had any say over it. It's too close to murder for me. But to each
their own.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 May 2018 07:47:36 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Sat, 26 May 2018 18:35:56 -0300, wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 26 May 2018 17:16:16 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>>>I don't feel very safe around people who think it is their duty to
>>>convert or kill people who don't buy into their religion. I don't feel
>>>comfortable in a community where there are silly laws based on religious
>>>beliefs. There are simply too many different religions, each with their
>>>own Us vs. Them Good vs. Evil issues.
>>>

>>The good news today was that Ireland has finally decided to change its
>>abortion laws. When they went to interview the anti abortion side, it
>>was a man who said it was a very sad day for Ireland - really!!
>>
>>It is interesting that the RC church is losing its thrall there,
>>almost its last bastion.

>You forget South America, parts of the third world, Poland etc etc.
>Ireland is a totally insignificant speck on the map.

No, I didn't forget them, I meant last bastion in the so-called 'first
world' - but things are not too great now either in the so-called
'third world' with priests being outed regularly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 26 May 2018 17:49:03 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-05-26 5:35 PM, wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 May 2018 17:16:16 -0400, Dave Smith
>> > wrote:

>>> I don't feel very safe around people who think it is their duty to
>>> convert or kill people who don't buy into their religion. I don't feel
>>> comfortable in a community where there are silly laws based on religious
>>> beliefs. There are simply too many different religions, each with their
>>> own Us vs. Them Good vs. Evil issues.
>>>

>> The good news today was that Ireland has finally decided to change its
>> abortion laws. When they went to interview the anti abortion side, it
>> was a man who said it was a very sad day for Ireland - really!!

>Bear in mind that reporters covering controversial social issues bend
>over backwards to find the most radical people to interview. I am not
>exactly pro-abortion, but I am definitely pro-Choice. I don't think
>that abortion should be used as birth control. I would prefer that
>people be taught about birth control and use it rather than resorting to
>a medical procedure that carries some risks. I want abortion to be
>legal so that women have the option of obtain safe abortions.

We certainly don't need a return to coat hanger days, agreed. However
I believe it is a myth that some women use abortion as birth control,
if in fact, they did, I doubt they would make great mothers. Taking a
pill looks great (either birth control pills or morning after) rather
than a surgical procedure.

>The anti abortion crowd is not all male. One of the few people I know
>who is opposed to abortion in one of my sisters in law. She is not
>involved with any anti abortion groups, but has supported them.

When Henry Morgentaler came to Halifax to open the first clinic there
was a big demo when he spoke at the Dal Student Union. I went with
two or three friends, it was bitter cold and on the other side of the
road the pro choicers arrived, we started out shouting them and the
young man beside me suddenly looked up at the placard I was carrying
which said 'I don't let a man in Rome decide what I do' and said
'hell, I'm on the wrong side of the road' he started to cross over and
we got a yell going for him to have a nice pregnancy

>Then there are people like the ex wife of an old friend of mine who
>proudly announced that she had had 5 abortions. Maybe she was trying to
>make a statement that would get her labelled as a liberal, but it just
>made me think she was an idiot. I would have expected that, like most
>women who have had unwanted pregnancies, that she would have learned
>from her mistake the first time.

Agreed - I would not have responded nicely had she said that to me,
hopefully it wasn't true, just something she thought would win her
some kudos.

>> It is interesting that the RC church is losing its thrall there,
>> almost its last bastion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 27 May 2018 07:53:45 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Sat, 26 May 2018 17:49:03 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>The anti abortion crowd is not all male. One of the few people I know
>>who is opposed to abortion in one of my sisters in law. She is not
>>involved with any anti abortion groups, but has supported them.
>>
>>Then there are people like the ex wife of an old friend of mine who
>>proudly announced that she had had 5 abortions. Maybe she was trying to
>>make a statement that would get her labelled as a liberal, but it just
>>made me think she was an idiot. I would have expected that, like most
>>women who have had unwanted pregnancies, that she would have learned
>>from her mistake the first time.
>>

>I wouldn't even let my cat have an abortion, let alone a human if I
>had any say over it. It's too close to murder for me. But to each
>their own.

Well don't impregnate a woman because I don't think you get the final
say in Oz.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabbath_mode
>> Halakha forbids Jews from doing creative work on the Shabbat.

> And what about home computers that are frequently left on 24/7?
> Since it's already powered on does that preclude the user from using
> the keyboard?

If you cannot do creative work, then no computer. De[ends on how you
want to twist interpretation.

Stuff George Shirley[_3_] Preserving 0 06-10-2017 10:43 PM
Can't stop dipping stuff into other stuff Christopher M.[_5_] General Cooking 85 14-01-2014 03:46 PM
Old stuff George Leppla General Cooking 18 01-03-2010 11:19 PM
just stuff elaine General Cooking 10 18-03-2007 01:13 PM
What do I do with this stuff? Silver Beetle Asian Cooking 2 16-01-2006 08:24 PM