Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default "Chinese Hamburgers"

This is a recipe my mother gave me. They're delicious. I'm not sure
how truly "Chinese" they are, nor do I much care. Mom likely got the
recipe from one of the officer's wives when we lived in Bangkok.

1 lb. ground beef
1/4 c. sliced mushrooms*
1 c. sliced water chestnuts*
1 egg
2 Tbs. cornstarch

"sauce"
3 Tbs. soy sauce
1 Tbs. sherry
1/4 tsp. salt
dash of MSG
1 tsp. sugar
1 clove minced garlic
1/2 tsp. ginger powder

Combine the beef, mushrooms, water chestnuts (*I minced them), egg and
cornstarch togther in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix the "sauce"
ingredients. Add it into the beef mixture. I mixed it all together by
hand like meatloaf. Put on gloves if you're squeamish. The mixture is
moist so sprinkle more cornstarch as needed. Form into 6 patties and
let them chill on waxed paper to set in the fridge for about an hour.
Then grill, broil or pan fry "until done". Not a very specific
instruction but I know what it means.

I prefer these burgers grilled (over charcoal) and served on a nice
toasted bun. With some potato chips on the side. The burgers don't
really need any embellishment. Feel free to add lettuce, tomato,
whatever. But please keep in mind there's already a "sauce" built into
the burger. It probably doesn't need additional condiments.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 17 May 2018 22:28:59 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>This is a recipe my mother gave me. They're delicious. I'm not sure
>how truly "Chinese" they are, nor do I much care. Mom likely got the
>recipe from one of the officer's wives when we lived in Bangkok.
>
>1 lb. ground beef
>1/4 c. sliced mushrooms*
>1 c. sliced water chestnuts*
>1 egg
>2 Tbs. cornstarch
>
>"sauce"
>3 Tbs. soy sauce
>1 Tbs. sherry
>1/4 tsp. salt
>dash of MSG
>1 tsp. sugar
>1 clove minced garlic
>1/2 tsp. ginger powder

Apart from the sherry, which was probably a replacement for shoaxing
rice wine, all the ingredients are part of Chinese cuisine.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>This is a recipe my mother gave me. They're delicious. I'm not sure
>how truly "Chinese" they are, nor do I much care. Mom likely got the
>recipe from one of the officer's wives when we lived in Bangkok.
>
>1 lb. ground beef
>1/4 c. sliced mushrooms*
>1 c. sliced water chestnuts*
>1 egg
>2 Tbs. cornstarch
>
>"sauce"
>3 Tbs. soy sauce
>1 Tbs. sherry
>1/4 tsp. salt
>dash of MSG
>1 tsp. sugar
>1 clove minced garlic
>1/2 tsp. ginger powder
>
>Combine the beef, mushrooms, water chestnuts (*I minced them), egg and
>cornstarch togther in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix the "sauce"
>ingredients. Add it into the beef mixture. I mixed it all together by
>hand like meatloaf. Put on gloves if you're squeamish. The mixture is
>moist so sprinkle more cornstarch as needed. Form into 6 patties and
>let them chill on waxed paper to set in the fridge for about an hour.
>Then grill, broil or pan fry "until done". Not a very specific
>instruction but I know what it means.
>
>I prefer these burgers grilled (over charcoal) and served on a nice
>toasted bun. With some potato chips on the side. The burgers don't
>really need any embellishment. Feel free to add lettuce, tomato,
>whatever. But please keep in mind there's already a "sauce" built into
>the burger. It probably doesn't need additional condiments.
>
>Jill

copied and saved, thanks
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>This is a recipe my mother gave me. They're delicious. I'm not sure
>how truly "Chinese" they are, nor do I much care. Mom likely got the
>recipe from one of the officer's wives when we lived in Bangkok.
>
>1 lb. ground beef
>1/4 c. sliced mushrooms*
>1 c. sliced water chestnuts*
>1 egg
>2 Tbs. cornstarch
>
>"sauce"
>3 Tbs. soy sauce
>1 Tbs. sherry
>1/4 tsp. salt
>dash of MSG
>1 tsp. sugar
>1 clove minced garlic
>1/2 tsp. ginger powder
>
>Combine the beef, mushrooms, water chestnuts (*I minced them), egg and
>cornstarch togther in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix the "sauce"
>ingredients. Add it into the beef mixture. I mixed it all together by
>hand like meatloaf. Put on gloves if you're squeamish. The mixture is
>moist so sprinkle more cornstarch as needed. Form into 6 patties and
>let them chill on waxed paper to set in the fridge for about an hour.
>Then grill, broil or pan fry "until done". Not a very specific
>instruction but I know what it means.
>
>I prefer these burgers grilled (over charcoal) and served on a nice
>toasted bun. With some potato chips on the side. The burgers don't
>really need any embellishment. Feel free to add lettuce, tomato,
>whatever. But please keep in mind there's already a "sauce" built into
>the burger. It probably doesn't need additional condiments.
>
>Jill

Nice recipe... I'd try it with ground pork too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Thu, 17 May 2018 22:28:59 -0400, jmcquown wrote:
>
> > This is a recipe my mother gave me. They're delicious. I'm not sure
> > how truly "Chinese" they are, nor do I much care. Mom likely got the
> > recipe from one of the officer's wives when we lived in Bangkok.
> >
> > 1 lb. ground beef
> > 1/4 c. sliced mushrooms*
> > 1 c. sliced water chestnuts*
> > 1 egg
> > 2 Tbs. cornstarch
> >
> > "sauce"
> > 3 Tbs. soy sauce
> > 1 Tbs. sherry
> > 1/4 tsp. salt
> > dash of MSG
> > 1 tsp. sugar
> > 1 clove minced garlic
> > 1/2 tsp. ginger powder

> I made something similar one time and turned them into baguette
> sliders. The sauce seems to be some sort of sriracha mayo with
> green onion and maybe some other stuff.
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...in/photostream
>
> Eeek, 6 years ago! Funny how it only seems like 5.5 years ago.
>
> -sw

Please remind me to order a half dozen of those whenever you
finally open your restaurant. Nice looking!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/18/2018 9:27 AM, wrote:
> On Thu, 17 May 2018 22:28:59 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> This is a recipe my mother gave me. They're delicious. I'm not sure
>> how truly "Chinese" they are, nor do I much care. Mom likely got the
>> recipe from one of the officer's wives when we lived in Bangkok.
>>
>> 1 lb. ground beef
>> 1/4 c. sliced mushrooms*
>> 1 c. sliced water chestnuts*
>> 1 egg
>> 2 Tbs. cornstarch
>>
>> "sauce"
>> 3 Tbs. soy sauce
>> 1 Tbs. sherry
>> 1/4 tsp. salt
>> dash of MSG
>> 1 tsp. sugar
>> 1 clove minced garlic
>> 1/2 tsp. ginger powder
>>
>> Combine the beef, mushrooms, water chestnuts (*I minced them), egg and
>> cornstarch togther in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix the "sauce"
>> ingredients. Add it into the beef mixture. I mixed it all together by
>> hand like meatloaf. Put on gloves if you're squeamish. The mixture is
>> moist so sprinkle more cornstarch as needed. Form into 6 patties and
>> let them chill on waxed paper to set in the fridge for about an hour.
>> Then grill, broil or pan fry "until done". Not a very specific
>> instruction but I know what it means.
>>
>> I prefer these burgers grilled (over charcoal) and served on a nice
>> toasted bun. With some potato chips on the side. The burgers don't
>> really need any embellishment. Feel free to add lettuce, tomato,
>> whatever. But please keep in mind there's already a "sauce" built into
>> the burger. It probably doesn't need additional condiments.
>>
>> Jill

> Nice recipe... I'd try it with ground pork too.

That could work! It might even make ground turkey taste good.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 18 May 2018 12:12:14 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/18/2018 9:27 AM, wrote:
>> On Thu, 17 May 2018 22:28:59 -0400, jmcquown >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> This is a recipe my mother gave me. They're delicious. I'm not sure
>>> how truly "Chinese" they are, nor do I much care. Mom likely got the
>>> recipe from one of the officer's wives when we lived in Bangkok.
>>>
>>> 1 lb. ground beef
>>> 1/4 c. sliced mushrooms*
>>> 1 c. sliced water chestnuts*
>>> 1 egg
>>> 2 Tbs. cornstarch
>>>
>>> "sauce"
>>> 3 Tbs. soy sauce
>>> 1 Tbs. sherry
>>> 1/4 tsp. salt
>>> dash of MSG
>>> 1 tsp. sugar
>>> 1 clove minced garlic
>>> 1/2 tsp. ginger powder
>>>
>>> Combine the beef, mushrooms, water chestnuts (*I minced them), egg and
>>> cornstarch togther in a bowl. In a separate bowl mix the "sauce"
>>> ingredients. Add it into the beef mixture. I mixed it all together by
>>> hand like meatloaf. Put on gloves if you're squeamish. The mixture is
>>> moist so sprinkle more cornstarch as needed. Form into 6 patties and
>>> let them chill on waxed paper to set in the fridge for about an hour.
>>> Then grill, broil or pan fry "until done". Not a very specific
>>> instruction but I know what it means.
>>>
>>> I prefer these burgers grilled (over charcoal) and served on a nice
>>> toasted bun. With some potato chips on the side. The burgers don't
>>> really need any embellishment. Feel free to add lettuce, tomato,
>>> whatever. But please keep in mind there's already a "sauce" built into
>>> the burger. It probably doesn't need additional condiments.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Nice recipe... I'd try it with ground pork too.
>>

>That could work! It might even make ground turkey taste good.
>
>Jill

Gobble, Gobble... nah... I don't even care much for roast turkey,
I only roast a turkey on Thanksgiving because it's tradional.

Your Oriental style recipe may work with coarsely ground shrimp...
just no cheese! heheheh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Nice recipe... I'd try it with ground pork too.
>>>

>> That could work! It might even make ground turkey taste good.
>>
>> Jill

> Gobble, Gobble... nah... I don't even care much for roast turkey,
> I only roast a turkey on Thanksgiving because it's tradional.

You know I don't actually care for turkey. I only mention it because
there are a few folks who still buy ground turkey. For some reason they
think it's more healthy. Hope they're reading the labels. Ground
turkey often includes the skin which is where the fat is.

This recipe would be a way to make it taste better.

> Your Oriental style recipe may work with coarsely ground shrimp...
> just no cheese! heheheh

LOL! I'm not likely to make shrimp burgers. I've never made them but I
have tasted shrimp burgers in some local restaurants. I'm not impressed
enough to want to make them at home. Despite being a major industry in
the area, I'm not crazy about shrimp.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Nice recipe... I'd try it with ground pork too.
>>>

>> That could work! It might even make ground turkey taste good.
>>
>> Jill

> Gobble, Gobble... nah... I don't even care much for roast turkey,
> I only roast a turkey on Thanksgiving because it's tradional.

You know I don't actually care for turkey. I only mention it because
there are a few folks who still buy ground turkey. For some reason they
think it's more healthy. Hope they're reading the labels. Ground
turkey often includes the skin which is where the fat is.

This recipe would be a way to make it taste better.

> Your Oriental style recipe may work with coarsely ground shrimp...
> just no cheese! heheheh

LOL! I'm not likely to make shrimp burgers. I've never made them but I
have tasted shrimp burgers in some local restaurants. I'm not impressed
enough to want to make them at home. Despite being a major industry in
the area, I'm not crazy about shrimp.

Jill

====

I ought to have said, those burgers look great and when I am back home I
will be making some)

Thanks.

"Manly" hamburgers John Kuthe[_2_] General Cooking 14 15-02-2014 07:26 PM
"Manly" hamburgers gtr General Cooking 3 15-02-2014 12:48 AM
The secret of McDonald's "hamburgers" revealed MR b0R rehpyC General Cooking 11 02-12-2007 06:05 PM