Old 16-05-2018, 10:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner Tonight 5/16/18

Spinach & Feta quiche. I make this particular combo as quiche a couple
of times a year. It's so easy (especially since I don't screw it up
making my own pie crust). Quite tasty. The great thing about quiche is
it works for any meal. Breakfast, lunch, dinner. I also like broccoli
quiche (works with a bunch of different cheeses). Quiche lorraine or
even just a simple egg & cheese quiche. I just happen to love quiche.

Got anything planned for dinner this Wednesday evening?

Jill

Old 16-05-2018, 11:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/16/2018 4:25 PM, jmcquown wrote:
Spinach & Feta quiche.* I make this particular combo as quiche a
couple of times a year.* It's so easy (especially since I don't screw
it up making my own pie crust).* Quite tasty.* The great thing about
quiche is it works for any meal.* Breakfast, lunch, dinner.* I also
like broccoli quiche (works with a bunch of different cheeses).*
Quiche lorraine or even just a simple egg & cheese quiche.* I just
happen to love quiche.

Got anything planned for dinner this Wednesday evening?

Jill

* I put a bigass chunk of top round in the slow cooker at 1:30 . Just
added the taters and carrots a few minutes ago . The missus will be home
from another shitty day (I visited with her at work earlier , picked up
a few things so she wouldn't have to) at Walmart around 7:20 . I still
have time to make some dinner rolls ... from scratch . Or I could get
some rolls out of the freezer . They just won't be fresh baked .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Old 17-05-2018, 12:30 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 12:16:45 PM UTC-10, Terry Coombs wrote:

* I put a bigass chunk of top round in the slow cooker at 1:30 . Just
added the taters and carrots a few minutes ago . The missus will be home
from another shitty day (I visited with her at work earlier , picked up
a few things so she wouldn't have to) at Walmart around 7:20 . I still
have time to make some dinner rolls ... from scratch . Or I could get
some rolls out of the freezer . They just won't be fresh baked .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on
peace of mind - Zac Brown

At the risk of seeming presumptuous, I'd say that the possibility exists that you are a good and supportive husband.

You could always make some butter dipped biscuits. It's stupidly fast and simple. They're damn tasty.

https://www.thecountrycook.net/butter-dip-biscuits/
Old 17-05-2018, 12:52 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/16/2018 6:30 PM, dsi1 wrote:
[...]

* Actually , she's trying to shed a few avoirdupois , a better choice
would be a nice green salad . With 350 calories of salad dressing on it
.... I'll slice her some bread if she wants . She's stood by me thru
thick and (very) thin for 45 years , the least I can do is take as good
care of her as I can . Oh shit , I'm drunk and maudlin ...

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Old 17-05-2018, 01:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 1:52:09 PM UTC-10, Terry Coombs wrote:

* Actually , she's trying to shed a few avoirdupois , a better choice
would be a nice green salad . With 350 calories of salad dressing on it
... I'll slice her some bread if she wants . She's stood by me thru
thick and (very) thin for 45 years , the least I can do is take as good
care of her as I can . Oh shit , I'm drunk and maudlin ...

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on
peace of mind - Zac Brown

You'll never find these biscuits on any weight watchers menu anywhere in the world. That's for sure. OTOH, they are just wonderful and possess the power to bring happiness and joy into one's life. What harm could just one piece do?

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...upFqGE6wReaDg6

Old 17-05-2018, 01:35 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/16/2018 5:25 PM, jmcquown wrote:
Spinach & Feta quiche. I make this particular combo as quiche a couple
of times a year. It's so easy (especially since I don't screw it up
making my own pie crust). Quite tasty. The great thing about quiche is
it works for any meal. Breakfast, lunch, dinner. I also like broccoli
quiche (works with a bunch of different cheeses). Quiche lorraine or
even just a simple egg & cheese quiche. I just happen to love quiche.

Got anything planned for dinner this Wednesday evening?

Jill

I love quiche! I asked my daughter to make her ham and broccoli quiche for
Mother's day brunch. Even thought rain made it a dinner, I'm glad she did
not change the menu and had quiche with salad and a wonderful strawberry
trifle that my grand daughter made for dinner. A perfect day!

Old 17-05-2018, 01:41 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 4:25:40 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

Spinach & Feta quiche. I make this particular combo as quiche a couple
of times a year. It's so easy (especially since I don't screw it up
making my own pie crust). Quite tasty.

Jill

Share your spinach and feta quiche recipe, please.

Old 17-05-2018, 09:05 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message news
On 5/16/2018 6:30 PM, dsi1 wrote:
[...]

===

Nothing wrong with what you are saying. You sound just as loving and caring
as my husband

Old 17-05-2018, 12:23 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/16/2018 7:13 PM, dsi1 wrote:
On Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 1:52:09 PM UTC-10, Terry Coombs wrote:
* Actually , she's trying to shed a few avoirdupois , a better choice
would be a nice green salad . With 350 calories of salad dressing on it
... I'll slice her some bread if she wants . She's stood by me thru
thick and (very) thin for 45 years , the least I can do is take as good
care of her as I can . Oh shit , I'm drunk and maudlin ...

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on
peace of mind - Zac Brown

You'll never find these biscuits on any weight watchers menu anywhere in the world. That's for sure. OTOH, they are just wonderful and possess the power to bring happiness and joy into one's life. What harm could just one piece do?

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...upFqGE6wReaDg6

* Tell me , were you ever a "pusher" ? " The first one;s free ! " grins

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Old 17-05-2018, 02:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Spinach & Feta Quiche (WAS: Dinner Tonight 5/16/18)

On 5/16/2018 8:41 PM, wrote:
On Wednesday, May 16, 2018 at 4:25:40 PM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

Spinach & Feta quiche. I make this particular combo as quiche a couple
of times a year. It's so easy (especially since I don't screw it up
making my own pie crust). Quite tasty.

Jill

Share your spinach and feta quiche recipe, please.

It's a recipe from The Frugal Gourmet's first book. I've been making
this for years.

Spinach and Feta Quiche

1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen chopped spinach, defrosted
4 eggs, beaten
3/4 c. cream
1-1/4 c. milk
salt & pepper to taste
2 Tbs. lemon juice
2 Tbs. parsley, chopped
1/4 lb. feta cheese, crumbled
1 quiche crust (I use a pre-prepared frozen deep dish pie crust)
3 Tbs. freshly grated parmesan or romano cheese

Drain the spinach and squeeze out as much moisture as possible; it
should be fairly dry. Mix the eggs, cream and milk. Add the salt,
pepper, lemon juice and parsley. Stir in the spinach and feta cheese.
Fill the crust and sprinkle the parmesan or romano on top. Bake at 375F
for 30-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out dry.
Cool for 10 minutes before serving. May be served at room temp.
Serves 6.

MY NOTES: I use a collapsible veggie steamer to squeeze the excess
moisture from the defrosted spinach. I don't bother adding the mere 2
Tbs. of parsley. I use slightly less cream and milk.

Jill

Old 17-05-2018, 02:46 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/16/2018 10:34 PM, l not -l wrote:
On 16-May-2018, jmcquown wrote:

Spinach & Feta quiche. I make this particular combo as quiche a couple
of times a year. It's so easy (especially since I don't screw it up
making my own pie crust). Quite tasty. The great thing about quiche is
it works for any meal. Breakfast, lunch, dinner. I also like broccoli
quiche (works with a bunch of different cheeses). Quiche lorraine or
even just a simple egg & cheese quiche. I just happen to love quiche.

Got anything planned for dinner this Wednesday evening?

Jill

I have never made a quiche and only rarely have eaten quiche. I'm not sure
why that is; I love eggs and egg dishes. Maybe because I eat omelets for
breakfast so often, I just don't think to eat an egg dish for other meals.
I will have to rectify that soon.

You sound like my SO. He eats eggs nearly every morning for breakfast.
I like eggs but not well enough to eat them every day or even a few
times a week, regardless of ingredient variations.

Dinner for me was a pattymelt and coleslaw with a couple of tangerines for
dessert.

Sounds good but you may have my share of the coleslaw.

Jill
Old 17-05-2018, 02:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:

dsi1 wrote:
You'll never find these biscuits on any weight watchers menu anywhere in the world. That's for sure. OTOH, they are just wonderful and possess the power to bring happiness and joy into one's life. What harm could just one piece do?

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...upFqGE6wReaDg6

Tell me , were you ever a "pusher" ? " The first one;s free ! " grins

McDonald's make a pretty tasty sausage biscuit. That and one hash
brown only costs $2.00. For that price, I suspect you'll never
get a better tasting treat.

If you want some killer dinner rolls, try this and you'll never
want a different roll. Takes longer to make but well worth the
time.

https://newengland.com/today/food/parker-house-rolls/
Old 17-05-2018, 04:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/17/2018 10:17 AM, l not -l wrote:
On 17-May-2018, jmcquown wrote:

[...]

Sadly, I did; I ate much more slaw than I should have, not because I needed
it to be full, but because it was very tasty. 8-)

I've never met a coleslaw [recipe] I liked. I love cabbage, just can't
stand coleslaw. I'm glad you and many others enjoy it. More for you!

Jill
Old 17-05-2018, 06:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/17/2018 12:03 PM, l not -l wrote:
On 17-May-2018, jmcquown wrote:

Dinner for me was a pattymelt and coleslaw with a couple of tangerines
for
dessert.

Sounds good but you may have my share of the coleslaw.

Sadly, I did; I ate much more slaw than I should have, not because I
needed
it to be full, but because it was very tasty. 8-)

I've never met a coleslaw [recipe] I liked. I love cabbage, just can't
stand coleslaw. I'm glad you and many others enjoy it. More for you!

Jill

I may encounter a slaw I don't like this evening; but, maybe I will like it
- we'll see. I'm making jicama slaw to go with dinner tonight. Jicama,
carrot, lime juice and a couple of things I'm not remembering off the top of
my head.

Ah, but you have an interesting and convenient Asian market nearby. You
probably walk by a market that sells jicama nearly every day. I'd have
to go looking for it and so far, no reason.

I've always had the impression jicama is similar in taste and texture to
water chestnuts. Am I at all close?

I do like water chestnuts, although they aren't something I think about
often. Just so happens I have a can of them in the pantry. I cannot
remember when I bought them.

I've got a recipe for "Oriental Hamburgers" written out by my mother.
She likely picked this up from another O-Wife when we were in Thailand.
It calls for canned, drained and chopped water chestnuts. Add to ground
beef along with ginger, garlic, chopped mushrooms, soy sauce. It's been
a long time since I made them so this is off the top of my head.

It's actually a very moist mixture so cornstarch is added to hold the
patties together. They were patted out by hand, then left to chill on
waxed paper before grilling. Absolutely delicious.

If anyone would like I'll dig up the recipe for "Oriental Burgers" and
post it again. They really are very tasty. It's definitely a lot of
work for hamburgers. But maybe worth it.

Jill
Old 17-05-2018, 06:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message news:UYiLC.176036

I've always had the impression jicama is similar in taste and texture to
water chestnuts. Am I at all close?

To me it's more like a potato texture wise.

Cheri