Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default May 5th

On Saturday, May 5, 2018 at 7:43:17 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> How are you faring with that volcano erupting... stay safe.

It's on a different island so there's not any danger at all - except maybe from a tsunami generated by the earthquakes. That volcano has been erupting for 35 years although this is the first time that cracks have appeared in someone's backyard and lava started spewing out of it. It makes an interesting sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=K7MsmbmrVFU
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-05-05 11:58 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, May 5, 2018 at 7:43:17 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> How are you faring with that volcano erupting... stay safe.

> It's on a different island so there's not any danger at all - except maybe from a tsunami generated by the earthquakes. That volcano has been erupting for 35 years although this is the first time that cracks have appeared in someone's backyard and lava started spewing out of it. It makes an interesting sound.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=K7MsmbmrVFU

But it's along the fracture line that's visible on Google Earth. What
possessed the authorities to allow that subdivision to be developed
there? Didn't they get any geological input?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 May 2018 10:58:55 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Saturday, May 5, 2018 at 7:43:17 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> How are you faring with that volcano erupting... stay safe.

>It's on a different island so there's not any danger at all - except maybe
>from a tsunami generated by the earthquakes. That volcano has been erupting
>for 35 years although this is the first time that cracks have appeared in
>someone's backyard and lava started spewing out of it.
>It makes an interesting sound.

I imagine it sounds like hot wet sex. LOL
However it's not something to joke about, looks mighty dangerous and
not over with yet.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=K7MsmbmrVFU

The woman in the video looks like she'd be lots of fun... if I knew my
world was coming to a climax I'd want to spend my last eruption with
her.
https://youtu.be/K7MsmbmrVFU?t=55
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 5 May 2018 12:15:12 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 2018-05-05 11:58 AM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Saturday, May 5, 2018 at 7:43:17 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
>>>
>>> How are you faring with that volcano erupting... stay safe.

>> It's on a different island so there's not any danger at all - except maybe from a tsunami generated by the earthquakes. That volcano has been erupting for 35 years although this is the first time that cracks have appeared in someone's backyard and lava started spewing out of it. It makes an interesting sound.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=K7MsmbmrVFU
>>

>But it's along the fracture line that's visible on Google Earth. What
>possessed the authorities to allow that subdivision to be developed
>there? Didn't they get any geological input?

Everywhere on those islands is very risky, not somewhere I'd choose to
live. Knowing what I know now I'd not want to be in California
either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 5, 2018 at 8:15:17 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:

> But it's along the fracture line that's visible on Google Earth. What
> possessed the authorities to allow that subdivision to be developed
> there? Didn't they get any geological input?

The Kilauea lava flows have all been moving away from the Leilani Estates. There have been a couple of towns that were affected by the eruption of Kilauea. The Eastern side has been relatively untouched in recent times. Historically, it's been considered safe. The latest flow was something new and unexpected. OTOH, you might have access to better geological maps.

If you want to see an interesting geological feature, check out the Northeastern side of Oahu on Google Earth. You see a large debris field radiating out from the island. This is the collapsed rim of a huge crater that once existed. It left behind the awesome mountain range that runs across the length of the island. The range is a very popular and dramatic feature that's used in movies these days. The collapse of the crater rim much have created a tsunami of epic proportions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-05-05 1:58 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, May 5, 2018 at 8:15:17 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
>
>> But it's along the fracture line that's visible on Google Earth. What
>> possessed the authorities to allow that subdivision to be developed
>> there? Didn't they get any geological input?

> The Kilauea lava flows have all been moving away from the Leilani Estates. There have been a couple of towns that were affected by the eruption of Kilauea. The Eastern side has been relatively untouched in recent times.

Look at the south east corner of the island and you will see a lava flow
that took place in ~1960. That's recent. The thing is, anywhere along
that line appears to be vulnerable.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Sat, 5 May 2018 12:15:12 -0600, graham > wrote:

>>> It's on a different island so there's not any danger at all - except maybe from a tsunami generated by the earthquakes. That volcano has been erupting for 35 years although this is the first time that cracks have appeared in someone's backyard and lava started spewing out of it. It makes an interesting sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=K7MsmbmrVFU

>> But it's along the fracture line that's visible on Google Earth. What
>> possessed the authorities to allow that subdivision to be developed
>> there? Didn't they get any geological input?

> Everywhere on those islands is very risky, not somewhere I'd choose to
> live. Knowing what I know now I'd not want to be in California
> either.

Yep, Noo yawk is the only place to live. The whole world missed out, an
dey should have all gone to live with yoose and mammy Penfart up dere in
Noo Yawk heaven.

Ahh the life they could have had ... hunting down and killing homos;
sexually assaulting women; making a general ass of themselves, all with
complete immunity.

Lawsy, we sho nuf missed the boat, Popeye!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 5, 2018 at 11:17:30 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:

> Look at the south east corner of the island and you will see a lava flow
> that took place in ~1960. That's recent. The thing is, anywhere along
> that line appears to be vulnerable.

Humans aren't too concerned with events that might happen on a geological timescale. If they were, nobody would live in much of California, or the Pacific Northwest and other areas that have the potential to one day, explode, turn to rubble, or fall into the sea.

The reality is that there's not much chance of one's house being destroyed or being killed by a volcano in Hawaii. We got lots of other things though. Stuff like hurricanes, flash floods, and tsunamis. We've been hit by several devastating hurricanes in the last few decades. We had epic flooding on Kauai a couple of weeks ago. The Governor sent a request to Trump a few days ago, requesting some assistance. I'm not holding my breath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT7V3C8-BK0
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 5, 2018 at 11:17:30 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:

> Look at the south east corner of the island and you will see a lava flow
> that took place in ~1960. That's recent. The thing is, anywhere along
> that line appears to be vulnerable.

Humans aren't too concerned with events that might happen on a geological timescale. If they were, nobody would live in much of California, or the Pacific Northwest and other areas that have the potential to one day, explode, turn to rubble, or fall into the sea.

The reality is that there's not much chance of one's house being destroyed or being killed by a volcano in Hawaii. We got lots of other things though. Stuff like hurricanes, flash floods, and tsunamis. We've been hit by several devastating hurricanes in the last few decades. We had epic flooding on Kauai a couple of weeks ago. The Governor sent a request to Trump a few days ago, requesting some assistance. I'm not holding my breath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT7V3C8-BK0
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, May 5, 2018 at 7:43:17 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> How are you faring with that volcano erupting... stay safe.

It's on a different island so there's not any danger at all - except maybe
from a tsunami generated by the earthquakes. That volcano has been erupting
for 35 years although this is the first time that cracks have appeared in
someone's backyard and lava started spewing out of it. It makes an
interesting sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=K7MsmbmrVFU

==

Well that's a relief! I have been watching it on tv and was concerned
because I hadn't seen you posting!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 5, 2018 at 10:03:39 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Well that's a relief! I have been watching it on tv and was concerned
> because I hadn't seen you posting!

We were supposed to be there this weekend for a convention but I couldn't figure out a way to swing it financially. Too bad, that would have been something to see.

I made a canned corned beef sandwich the other day. I used Palm corned beef - that stuff is just great. The corned beef was fried until the water was gone and the beef was starting to brown. I fried up some bread I made that had layers of Dubliner cheese. Some coleslaw was put on the bread and the corned beef was put on top of the slaw. What happens when you put together 3 things rich in umami flavor? You get a wonderful, intense, experience. It was almost too overpowering!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...FXv9LoY1lJSAF6
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, May 5, 2018 at 10:03:39 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Well that's a relief! I have been watching it on tv and was concerned
> because I hadn't seen you posting!

We were supposed to be there this weekend for a convention but I couldn't
figure out a way to swing it financially. Too bad, that would have been
something to see.

I made a canned corned beef sandwich the other day. I used Palm corned
beef - that stuff is just great. The corned beef was fried until the water
was gone and the beef was starting to brown. I fried up some bread I made
that had layers of Dubliner cheese. Some coleslaw was put on the bread and
the corned beef was put on top of the slaw. What happens when you put
together 3 things rich in umami flavor? You get a wonderful, intense,
experience. It was almost too overpowering!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...FXv9LoY1lJSAF6
==

Wow! I just made a bunch of corned beef hash for the freezer!!!!!!!!!!
)))

I'll show D what you made and see if he likes it Thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 6 May 2018 14:05:08 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"dsi1" wrote in message
>
>On Saturday, May 5, 2018 at 10:03:39 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Well that's a relief! I have been watching it on tv and was concerned
>> because I hadn't seen you posting!

>We were supposed to be there this weekend for a convention but I couldn't
>figure out a way to swing it financially. Too bad, that would have been
>something to see.
>
>I made a canned corned beef sandwich the other day. I used Palm corned
>beef - that stuff is just great. The corned beef was fried until the water
>was gone and the beef was starting to brown. I fried up some bread I made
>that had layers of Dubliner cheese. Some coleslaw was put on the bread and
>the corned beef was put on top of the slaw. What happens when you put
>together 3 things rich in umami flavor? You get a wonderful, intense,
>experience. It was almost too overpowering!
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...FXv9LoY1lJSAF6
>==
>
>Wow! I just made a bunch of corned beef hash for the freezer!!!!!!!!!!
>)))
>
>I'll show D what you made and see if he likes it Thanks

Looks tasty only I'm not fond of canned corned beef... I'd sub SPAM.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 3:05:16 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Wow! I just made a bunch of corned beef hash for the freezer!!!!!!!!!!
> )))
>
> I'll show D what you made and see if he likes it Thanks

Canned corned beef is quite different from beef you cook for yourself. I really like the canned stuff because it's convenient and easy to make. If you try to make one, make sure to get Palm corned beef. Canned corned beef varies greatly in quality and Palm is the best. It's the favorite of Samoans and thousands of Samoans can't be wrong. Well, I suppose they could be wrong but I sure as heck ain't going to be the one to tell them that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ytuP04nE0
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 May 2018 02:21:27 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 3:05:16 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Wow! I just made a bunch of corned beef hash for the freezer!!!!!!!!!!
>> )))
>>
>> I'll show D what you made and see if he likes it Thanks

>Canned corned beef is quite different from beef you cook for yourself. I really like the canned stuff because it's convenient and easy to make. If you try to make one, make sure to get Palm corned beef. Canned corned beef varies greatly in quality and Palm is the best. It's the favorite of Samoans and thousands of Samoans can't be wrong.

Average life expectancy of Samoan men: 70.9
Average life expectancy of Samoan women: 77.5

I think they're wrong about just about everyting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> I made a canned corned beef sandwich the other day. I used Palm corned beef - that stuff is just great. The corned beef was fried until the water was gone and the beef was starting to brown. I fried up some bread I made that had layers of Dubliner cheese. Some coleslaw was put on the bread and the corned beef was put on top of the slaw. What happens when you put together 3 things rich in umami flavor? You get a wonderful, intense, experience. It was almost too overpowering!
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...FXv9LoY1lJSAF6

I just looked at that. Looks tasty! :-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 3:05:16 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Wow! I just made a bunch of corned beef hash for the freezer!!!!!!!!!!
> )))
>
> I'll show D what you made and see if he likes it Thanks

Canned corned beef is quite different from beef you cook for yourself. I
really like the canned stuff because it's convenient and easy to make. If
you try to make one, make sure to get Palm corned beef. Canned corned beef
varies greatly in quality and Palm is the best. It's the favorite of Samoans
and thousands of Samoans can't be wrong. Well, I suppose they could be wrong
but I sure as heck ain't going to be the one to tell them that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ytuP04nE0

===

Yes, we know canned corned beef That is what I use for corned beef
hash) Can't say I've ever hears of 'Palm' though.

I don't like corned beef anyway, but D loves it and that is why I make the
hash)

BTW he says that fried corned beef sounds really good, but he would prefer
on it's own in a toasted sandwich, so thank you)

Guess what I will be making sometime next week)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote in message ...

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 3:05:16 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Wow! I just made a bunch of corned beef hash for the freezer!!!!!!!!!!
> )))
>
> I'll show D what you made and see if he likes it Thanks

Canned corned beef is quite different from beef you cook for yourself. I
really like the canned stuff because it's convenient and easy to make. If
you try to make one, make sure to get Palm corned beef. Canned corned beef
varies greatly in quality and Palm is the best. It's the favorite of Samoans
and thousands of Samoans can't be wrong. Well, I suppose they could be wrong
but I sure as heck ain't going to be the one to tell them that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ytuP04nE0

===

Yes, we know canned corned beef That is what I use for corned beef
hash) Can't say I've ever hears of 'Palm' though.

I don't like corned beef anyway, but D loves it and that is why I make the
hash)

BTW he says that fried corned beef sounds really good, but he would prefer
on it's own in a toasted sandwich, so thank you)

Guess what I will be making sometime next week)

==

Oops I missed out the cheese He loves the cheese part)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> Yes, we know canned corned beef That is what I use for corned beef
> hash) Can't say I've ever hears of 'Palm' though.
>
> I don't like corned beef anyway, but D loves it and that is why I make the
> hash)
>
> BTW he says that fried corned beef sounds really good, but he would prefer
> on it's own in a toasted sandwich, so thank you)
>
> Guess what I will be making sometime next week)

Maybe try a bit of that can to make
corned beef hash...fried along with potatoes and onions.
Bet your husband would like that.

I generally use leftover ham for hash though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
>dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> I made a canned corned beef sandwich the other day. I used Palm corned beef - that stuff is just great. The corned beef was fried until the water was gone and the beef was starting to brown. I fried up some bread I made that had layers of Dubliner cheese. Some coleslaw was put on the bread and the corned beef was put on top of the slaw. What happens when you put together 3 things rich in umami flavor? You get a wonderful, intense, experience. It was almost too overpowering!
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...FXv9LoY1lJSAF6

>I just looked at that. Looks tasty! :-D

Food can't look tasty... no eyeball taste buds... food can look
appetizing. That does not look appetizing to me. I've tried canned
corned beef a few times, upon opening the can the odor and appearance
made me lose my appetite... Alpo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 May 2018 13:32:44 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"dsi1" wrote in message
>
>On Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 3:05:16 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Wow! I just made a bunch of corned beef hash for the freezer!!!!!!!!!!
>> )))
>>
>> I'll show D what you made and see if he likes it Thanks

>Canned corned beef is quite different from beef you cook for yourself. I
>really like the canned stuff because it's convenient and easy to make. If
>you try to make one, make sure to get Palm corned beef. Canned corned beef
>varies greatly in quality and Palm is the best. It's the favorite of Samoans
>and thousands of Samoans can't be wrong. Well, I suppose they could be wrong
>but I sure as heck ain't going to be the one to tell them that.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ytuP04nE0
>
>===
>
>Yes, we know canned corned beef That is what I use for corned beef
>hash) Can't say I've ever hears of 'Palm' though.
>
>I don't like corned beef anyway, but D loves it and that is why I make the
>hash)
>
>BTW he says that fried corned beef sounds really good, but he would prefer
>on it's own in a toasted sandwich, so thank you)
>
>Guess what I will be making sometime next week)

I bet your dog would enjoy your share. lol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 May 2018 13:39:56 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Ophelia" wrote in message ...
>

>"dsi1" wrote in message
>
>On Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 3:05:16 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Wow! I just made a bunch of corned beef hash for the freezer!!!!!!!!!!
>> )))
>>
>> I'll show D what you made and see if he likes it Thanks

>Canned corned beef is quite different from beef you cook for yourself. I
>really like the canned stuff because it's convenient and easy to make. If
>you try to make one, make sure to get Palm corned beef. Canned corned beef
>varies greatly in quality and Palm is the best. It's the favorite of Samoans
>and thousands of Samoans can't be wrong. Well, I suppose they could be wrong
>but I sure as heck ain't going to be the one to tell them that.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ytuP04nE0
>
>===
>
>Yes, we know canned corned beef That is what I use for corned beef
>hash) Can't say I've ever hears of 'Palm' though.
>
>I don't like corned beef anyway, but D loves it and that is why I make the
>hash)
>
>BTW he says that fried corned beef sounds really good, but he would prefer
>on it's own in a toasted sandwich, so thank you)
>
>Guess what I will be making sometime next week)
>
>==
>
>Oops I missed out the cheese He loves the cheese part)

I've no idea how corned beef with cheese would taste... the best
Jewish delis in NY serve great corned beef but never any cheese.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Mon, 7 May 2018 13:39:56 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>>"Ophelia" wrote in message ...
>>

>>"dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>>On Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 3:05:16 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> Wow! I just made a bunch of corned beef hash for the freezer!!!!!!!!!!
>>> )))
>>>
>>> I'll show D what you made and see if he likes it Thanks

>>Canned corned beef is quite different from beef you cook for yourself. I
>>really like the canned stuff because it's convenient and easy to make. If
>>you try to make one, make sure to get Palm corned beef. Canned corned beef
>>varies greatly in quality and Palm is the best. It's the favorite of
>>Samoans
>>and thousands of Samoans can't be wrong. Well, I suppose they could be
>>wrong
>>but I sure as heck ain't going to be the one to tell them that.
>>
>>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ytuP04nE0
>>
>>===
>>
>>Yes, we know canned corned beef That is what I use for corned beef
>>hash) Can't say I've ever hears of 'Palm' though.
>>
>>I don't like corned beef anyway, but D loves it and that is why I make the
>>hash)
>>
>>BTW he says that fried corned beef sounds really good, but he would prefer
>>on it's own in a toasted sandwich, so thank you)
>>
>>Guess what I will be making sometime next week)
>>
>>==
>>
>>Oops I missed out the cheese He loves the cheese part)

> I've no idea how corned beef with cheese would taste... the best
> Jewish delis in NY serve great corned beef but never any cheese.

You have never heard of Swiss cheese on corned beef and rye for instance?

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 12:23:15 PM UTC-4, Cheri wrote:
> > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 7 May 2018 13:39:56 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> > wrote:
> >

> >>"Ophelia" wrote in message ...

> >>Canned corned beef is quite different from beef you cook for yourself. I
> >>really like the canned stuff because it's convenient and easy to make. If
> >>you try to make one, make sure to get Palm corned beef. Canned corned beef
> >>varies greatly in quality and Palm is the best. It's the favorite of
> >>Samoans
> >>and thousands of Samoans can't be wrong. Well, I suppose they could be
> >>wrong
> >>but I sure as heck ain't going to be the one to tell them that.
> >>
> >>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ytuP04nE0
> >>
> >>===
> >>
> >>Yes, we know canned corned beef That is what I use for corned beef
> >>hash) Can't say I've ever hears of 'Palm' though.
> >>
> >>I don't like corned beef anyway, but D loves it and that is why I make the
> >>hash)
> >>
> >>BTW he says that fried corned beef sounds really good, but he would prefer
> >>on it's own in a toasted sandwich, so thank you)
> >>
> >>Guess what I will be making sometime next week)
> >>
> >>==
> >>
> >>Oops I missed out the cheese He loves the cheese part)

> > I've no idea how corned beef with cheese would taste... the best
> > Jewish delis in NY serve great corned beef but never any cheese.

> You have never heard of Swiss cheese on corned beef and rye for instance?

Before Sheldon comes back with his usual mild-mannered reply,
I'll point out that Kosher delis wouldn't serve beef and cheese
together.

A not-statistically-significant sample of one Kosher deli in New
York reveals that they have no cheese anywhere on the menu.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 12:23:15 PM UTC-4, Cheri wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>> > I've no idea how corned beef with cheese would taste... the best
>> > Jewish delis in NY serve great corned beef but never any cheese.

>> You have never heard of Swiss cheese on corned beef and rye for instance?

> Before Sheldon comes back with his usual mild-mannered reply,
> I'll point out that Kosher delis wouldn't serve beef and cheese
> together.
>
> A not-statistically-significant sample of one Kosher deli in New
> York reveals that they have no cheese anywhere on the menu.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

He said he has no idea what it would taste like so I was wondering if he had
ever heard of corned beef, rye, and swiss cheese, which is very good. I
don't care what kind of response he comes back with, it's a simple question.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> Yes, we know canned corned beef That is what I use for corned beef
> hash) Can't say I've ever hears of 'Palm' though.
>
> I don't like corned beef anyway, but D loves it and that is why I make the
> hash)
>
> BTW he says that fried corned beef sounds really good, but he would prefer
> on it's own in a toasted sandwich, so thank you)
>
> Guess what I will be making sometime next week)

Maybe try a bit of that can to make
corned beef hash...fried along with potatoes and onions.
Bet your husband would like that.

I generally use leftover ham for hash though.

==

I am using the recipe for the hash he grew up with, which I suspect it part
of the attraction

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"dsi1" wrote in message
>
>On Sunday, May 6, 2018 at 3:05:16 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Wow! I just made a bunch of corned beef hash for the freezer!!!!!!!!!!
>> )))
>>
>> I'll show D what you made and see if he likes it Thanks

>Canned corned beef is quite different from beef you cook for yourself. I
>really like the canned stuff because it's convenient and easy to make. If
>you try to make one, make sure to get Palm corned beef. Canned corned beef
>varies greatly in quality and Palm is the best. It's the favorite of
>Samoans
>and thousands of Samoans can't be wrong. Well, I suppose they could be
>wrong
>but I sure as heck ain't going to be the one to tell them that.
>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ytuP04nE0
>
>===
>
>Yes, we know canned corned beef That is what I use for corned beef
>hash) Can't say I've ever hears of 'Palm' though.
>
>I don't like corned beef anyway, but D loves it and that is why I make the
>hash)
>
>BTW he says that fried corned beef sounds really good, but he would prefer
>on it's own in a toasted sandwich, so thank you)
>
>Guess what I will be making sometime next week)

I bet your dog would enjoy your share. lol

===

Very likely but she is not allowed onions!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/7/2018 12:22 PM, Cheri wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 7 May 2018 13:39:56 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> "Ophelia"* wrote in message ...

>>> Canned corned beef is quite different from beef you cook for yourself. I
>>> really like the canned stuff because it's convenient and easy to
>>> make. If
>>> you try to make one, make sure to get Palm corned beef. Canned corned
>>> beef
>>> varies greatly in quality and Palm is the best. It's the favorite of
>>> Samoans
>>> and thousands of Samoans can't be wrong. Well, I suppose they could
>>> be wrong
>>> but I sure as heck ain't going to be the one to tell them that.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5ytuP04nE0
>>>
>>> ===
>>>
>>> Yes, we know canned corned beef* That is what I use for corned beef
>>> hash)* Can't say I've ever hears of 'Palm' though.
>>>
>>> I don't like corned beef anyway, but D loves it and that is why I
>>> make the
>>> hash)
>>>
>>> BTW he says that fried corned beef sounds really good, but he would
>>> prefer
>>> on it's own in a toasted sandwich, so thank you)
>>>
>>> Guess what I will be making sometime next week)
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Oops I missed out the cheese* He loves the cheese part)

>> I've no idea how corned beef with cheese would taste... the best
>> Jewish delis in NY serve great corned beef but never any cheese.

> You have never heard of Swiss cheese on corned beef and rye for instance?
>
> Cheri

Corned beef & swiss is a great combo!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 5/7/2018 12:22 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> I've no idea how corned beef with cheese would taste... the best
>>> Jewish delis in NY serve great corned beef but never any cheese.

>> You have never heard of Swiss cheese on corned beef and rye for instance?
>>
>> Cheri

> Corned beef & swiss is a great combo!
>
> Jill

Yes, it is great.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/7/2018 7:37 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> You have never heard of Swiss cheese on corned beef and rye for
>>> instance?
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Corned beef & swiss is a great combo!
>>
>> Jill

> Yes, it is great.
>
> Cheri

The thing is, Sheldon limits his experience to kosher delis in Brooklyn.
We all know there are reasons why they wouldn't have served meat with
cheese. That limits his imagination and his experience.

Personally, one of the best things I've ever tasted was a corned beef
and swiss sandwich. It was at a sub shop somewhere in Memphis that
offered some nice hot sandwiches with a cup of soup.

I've made this many times myself. Not on rye bread but on a buttered,
lightly toasted crusty "french roll". Toasted under the oven broiler.
Delicious! And not at all kosher. Nor from Brooklyn. LOL

Thinly sliced corned beef on a toasty roll with melted swiss cheese is
delicious. Other folks add some sort of spread/sauce and perhaps
saurkraut and hey... might call it a reuben! Heh.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 2:12:29 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:

> I just looked at that. Looks tasty! :-D

I never was a big fan of canned corned beef but recently the idea popped into my head that a canned corned beef sandwich would be tasty. I imagined it, I tried it, and it was a good thing. This worked out well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 2:32:54 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ===
>
> Yes, we know canned corned beef That is what I use for corned beef
> hash) Can't say I've ever hears of 'Palm' though.
>
> I don't like corned beef anyway, but D loves it and that is why I make the
> hash)
>
> BTW he says that fried corned beef sounds really good, but he would prefer
> on it's own in a toasted sandwich, so thank you)
>
> Guess what I will be making sometime next week)

Good luck with that. If you keep on trying new things, you're bound to get a hit sometimes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-05-07 9:56 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 2:12:29 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
>>
>> I just looked at that. Looks tasty! :-D

> I never was a big fan of canned corned beef but recently the idea
> popped into my head that a canned corned beef sandwich would be
> tasty. I imagined it, I tried it, and it was a good thing. This
> worked out well.

I was fed a lot of canned corned beef sandwiches when I was a kid. I
liked them, Later on they came out with deli corned beef in freezer
packs that could be heated up in boiling water. There was no looking
back, but every once in a while i am tempted to get a can and making
sandwiches with it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-05-07 9:56 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 2:12:29 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
>>>
>>> I just looked at that. Looks tasty! :-D

>> I never was a big fan of canned corned beef but recently the idea
>> popped into my head that a canned corned beef sandwich would be
>> tasty. I imagined it, I tried it, and it was a good thing. This
>> worked out well.
>>

> I was fed a lot of canned corned beef sandwiches when I was a kid. I
> liked them, Later on they came out with deli corned beef in freezer
> packs that could be heated up in boiling water. There was no looking
> back, but every once in a while i am tempted to get a can and making
> sandwiches with it.

Yep, it's not bad, especially with lots of mustard. Easy to take camping
or hunting too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 4:25:22 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> I was fed a lot of canned corned beef sandwiches when I was a kid. I
> liked them, Later on they came out with deli corned beef in freezer
> packs that could be heated up in boiling water. There was no looking
> back, but every once in a while i am tempted to get a can and making
> sandwiches with it.

The canned corned beef in the trapezoidal can that we consumed back in the day is different now. These days it's some kind of mushy, slushy, pasty, material. The Palm & Ox brand is quite similar to the product back in the 60's. Palm brand corned beef is pretty much what it should have been all the time. All the canned stuff has more grease than in the old days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 2:12:29 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:

> I just looked at that. Looks tasty! :-D

I never was a big fan of canned corned beef but recently the idea popped
into my head that a canned corned beef sandwich would be tasty. I imagined
it, I tried it, and it was a good thing. This worked out well.

==

Having read your post, D has decided to made a toasted sandwich with corned
beef and cheese)

We have a toasting machine which seals the edges and heats up the filling.
I don't know what you call it.

It's a bit like this:

https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/towe...yABEgKllPD_BwE

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 4:25:22 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> I was fed a lot of canned corned beef sandwiches when I was a kid. I
> liked them, Later on they came out with deli corned beef in freezer
> packs that could be heated up in boiling water. There was no looking
> back, but every once in a while i am tempted to get a can and making
> sandwiches with it.

The canned corned beef in the trapezoidal can that we consumed back in the
day is different now. These days it's some kind of mushy, slushy, pasty,
material. The Palm & Ox brand is quite similar to the product back in the
60's. Palm brand corned beef is pretty much what it should have been all the
time. All the canned stuff has more grease than in the old days.

==

I can't remember what ours is called, but we buy it in Lidl. Not mushy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 2:32:54 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ===
>
> Yes, we know canned corned beef That is what I use for corned beef
> hash) Can't say I've ever hears of 'Palm' though.
>
> I don't like corned beef anyway, but D loves it and that is why I make the
> hash)
>
> BTW he says that fried corned beef sounds really good, but he would prefer
> on it's own in a toasted sandwich, so thank you)
>
> Guess what I will be making sometime next week)

Good luck with that. If you keep on trying new things, you're bound to get a
hit sometimes.

==

He loves both corned beef and cheese so it will never be a miss <g>

I had never made the hash until he told me about something he used to eat as
a child.

I had a couple of attempts and then he told me I had it spot on!!

So that is what I make)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 7 May 2018 20:02:47 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 5/7/2018 7:37 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> Corned beef & swiss is a great combo!
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Yes, it is great.
>>
>> Cheri

>The thing is, Sheldon limits his experience to kosher delis in Brooklyn.
> We all know there are reasons why they wouldn't have served meat with
>cheese. That limits his imagination and his experience.
>
>Personally, one of the best things I've ever tasted was a corned beef
>and swiss sandwich. It was at a sub shop somewhere in Memphis that
>offered some nice hot sandwiches with a cup of soup.
>
>I've made this many times myself. Not on rye bread but on a buttered,
>lightly toasted crusty "french roll". Toasted under the oven broiler.
>Delicious! And not at all kosher. Nor from Brooklyn. LOL
>
>Thinly sliced corned beef on a toasty roll with melted swiss cheese is
>delicious. Other folks add some sort of spread/sauce and perhaps
>saurkraut and hey... might call it a reuben! Heh.
>
>Jill

The corned beef at restaurants other than a Jewish deli I found to be
awful... they'd have good cheese but not good corned beef... in fact
they'd have lousy rye bread too.