Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Switching to 5/19/18 a tad late (WAS May 5th)

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Thu, 24 May 2018 08:44:34 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
> > jmcquown wrote:
> >
> >> Like the line from Pink Floyd (The Wall) says: "You can't have any
> >> pudding if you don't eat your meat!"

> > I'm not familiar with that song but....

> It's only their most popular song ever.

If that's so, I'd probably recognize the music, just not the
lyrics. Back in the day, I usually tuned out the lyrics of a song
and listened to the instrument parts. Many old popular songs, I
have no idea what they were singing about - didn't care. Also, I
was never a Pink Floyd fan but I did like and buy, "Dark Side of
the Moon." album. I bought that one on an 8-track.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 12:54:11 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:

> If that's so, I'd probably recognize the music, just not the
> lyrics. Back in the day, I usually tuned out the lyrics of a song
> and listened to the instrument parts. Many old popular songs, I
> have no idea what they were singing about - didn't care. Also, I
> was never a Pink Floyd fan but I did like and buy, "Dark Side of
> the Moon." album. I bought that one on an 8-track.

"Dark Side of the Moon" has that effect on people. I was never a fan but buying the CD seemed like a no-brainer. One of their most iconic cuts on the album, "The Great Gig in the Sky" had no lyrics.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Gig_in_the_Sky

Remarkably, that album has been on the Billboard charts for a total of 18 years. The world's a better place because of DSotM. OTOH, the world's a bleaker place because of their eleventh album, "The Wall" so I guess it all evens out in the end.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.bbc.com/food/programmes/b010n3q1

>>> I'm not familiar with that song but with Pink Floyd, I loved the
>>> song, "Dark Side of the Moon." Reminded me of many old Moody
>>> Blues music. Good stuff all.

>> That's the name of an album, not a song.

> Yes, although one of the songs on it (Brain Damage) contains the lyrics
> "see you on the dark side of the moon".
>
> As well, the album contains the song "Money".
>
> My husband listens to Pink Floyd when he's stressed. If I come home
> and "Welcome to the Machine" is playing, I just leave him the hell
> alone.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

LOL! At least he gives you a heads up.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Hank Rogers wrote:
> Alex wrote:
>> Gary wrote:

https://www.bbc.com/food/programmes/b010n3q1

>>> I'm not familiar with that song but with Pink Floyd, I loved the
>>> song, "Dark Side of the Moon." Reminded me of many old Moody
>>> Blues music. Good stuff all.

>> That's the name of an album, not a song.

> Wasn't the song called "money"? At least it was about money. I liked
> it too. I bought the dark side of the moon album; I think it was in
> the early 1970's, maybe about 1972 or 73.
>
> I think they were quite different from Moody blues, which I also liked
> very much.

That was one song on the album and probably the most popular.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Sqwertz wrote:

>> > I'm not familiar with that song but....

>> It's only their most popular song ever.

> If that's so, I'd probably recognize the music, just not the
> lyrics. Back in the day, I usually tuned out the lyrics of a song
> and listened to the instrument parts. Many old popular songs, I
> have no idea what they were singing about - didn't care. Also, I
> was never a Pink Floyd fan but I did like and buy, "Dark Side of
> the Moon." album. I bought that one on an 8-track.

You must know the song. Got tons of air play. Still does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 12:54:11 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> >
> > If that's so, I'd probably recognize the music, just not the
> > lyrics. Back in the day, I usually tuned out the lyrics of a song
> > and listened to the instrument parts. Many old popular songs, I
> > have no idea what they were singing about - didn't care. Also, I
> > was never a Pink Floyd fan but I did like and buy, "Dark Side of
> > the Moon." album. I bought that one on an 8-track.

> "Dark Side of the Moon" has that effect on people. I was never a fan but buying the CD seemed like a no-brainer. One of their most iconic cuts on the album, "The Great Gig in the Sky" had no lyrics.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Gig_in_the_Sky

I need to listen to this album again to see what song I really
liked. It wasn't "Money." That was my least favorite but it was a
radio hit.

The one I'm remembering was slower and surreal (?) It did remind
me of an old Moody Blues song.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 12:33:22 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:

> I need to listen to this album again to see what song I really
> liked. It wasn't "Money." That was my least favorite but it was a
> radio hit.
>
> The one I'm remembering was slower and surreal (?) It did remind
> me of an old Moody Blues song.

You might be thinking about "Us and Them."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3OdanjBYoM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/26/2018 6:34 AM, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> On Friday, May 25, 2018 at 12:54:11 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
>>>
>>> If that's so, I'd probably recognize the music, just not the
>>> lyrics. Back in the day, I usually tuned out the lyrics of a song
>>> and listened to the instrument parts. Many old popular songs, I
>>> have no idea what they were singing about - didn't care. Also, I
>>> was never a Pink Floyd fan but I did like and buy, "Dark Side of
>>> the Moon." album. I bought that one on an 8-track.

>> "Dark Side of the Moon" has that effect on people. I was never a fan but buying the CD seemed like a no-brainer. One of their most iconic cuts on the album, "The Great Gig in the Sky" had no lyrics.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Gig_in_the_Sky

> I need to listen to this album again to see what song I really
> liked. It wasn't "Money." That was my least favorite but it was a
> radio hit.
>
> The one I'm remembering was slower and surreal (?) It did remind
> me of an old Moody Blues song.

The song (from the ALBUM Dark Side of the Moon) was called 'Brain
Damage', as a few others have pointed out.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Saturday, May 26, 2018 at 12:33:22 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> >
> > I need to listen to this album again to see what song I really
> > liked. It wasn't "Money." That was my least favorite but it was a
> > radio hit.
> >
> > The one I'm remembering was slower and surreal (?) It did remind
> > me of an old Moody Blues song.

> You might be thinking about "Us and Them."

I downloaded the mp3 of that yesterday. It rules and is one of
the good songs on that album.

However, Steve's suggestion of "Brain Damage" was the one I
remembered. I downloaded that one too yesterday. Since it does
contain the lyrics "dark side of the moon," that's why I thought
the song was named the same as the album.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, May 27, 2018 at 2:30:19 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:

> I downloaded the mp3 of that yesterday. It rules and is one of
> the good songs on that album.
>
> However, Steve's suggestion of "Brain Damage" was the one I
> remembered. I downloaded that one too yesterday. Since it does
> contain the lyrics "dark side of the moon," that's why I thought
> the song was named the same as the album.

I'm glad you found what you were looking for. I've been listening to the Alan Parsons Project. Mr. Parsons was responsible for the the general sound of Dark Side of the Moon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x8hY7_9XbU