Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Calzones anyone?

Â*So I've got this dough in the freezer from my last pizza - it worked
swell the first time so I now make double batches and freeze half . And
I've got enough pizza sauce to do two calzones or one pizza ... And I'm
thinking that I'm going to give it a whirl . The wife can't have dairy ,
so it works out well , I'm thinking shrooms , onions , beef , black
olives , and pepperoni , maybe some ham too . Oven I think will be the
same temp at 450°F , but on convection since I want the crust to brown
nicely - I'll also have the pizza thingy (stone? but it's ceramic or
something)in there , I like what it does for the bottom of the crust .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/21/2018 11:02 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
> Â*So I've got this dough in the freezer from my last pizza - it worked
> swell the first time so I now make double batches and freeze half . And
> I've got enough pizza sauce to do two calzones or one pizza ... And I'm
> thinking that I'm going to give it a whirl . The wife can't have dairy ,
> so it works out well , I'm thinking shrooms , onions , beef , black
> olives , and pepperoni , maybe some ham too . Oven I think will be the
> same temp at 450°F , but on convection since I want the crust to brown
> nicely - I'll also have the pizza thingy (stone? but it's ceramic or
> something)in there , I like what it does for the bottom of the crust .

Sounds like stromboli, either way, it's delicious. I do an egg wash
on stromboli to give the nice browned appearance.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/21/2018 10:28 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 4/21/2018 11:02 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
>> Â*Â*So I've got this dough in the freezer from my last pizza - it
>> worked swell the first time so I now make double batches and freeze
>> half . And I've got enough pizza sauce to do two calzones or one
>> pizza ... And I'm thinking that I'm going to give it a whirl . The
>> wife can't have dairy , so it works out well , I'm thinking shrooms ,
>> onions , beef , black olives , and pepperoni , maybe some ham too .
>> Oven I think will be the same temp at 450°F , but on convection since
>> I want the crust to brown nicely - I'll also have the pizza thingy
>> (stone? but it's ceramic or something)in there , I like what it does
>> for the bottom of the crust .

> Sounds like stromboli, either way, it's delicious.Â* I do an egg wash
> on stromboli to give the nice browned appearance.
>
> nancy

Â* I was wondering if I might need something like that ... if I don't
get the crust like I want it this time I'll try that next time . That
convection oven is dandy for browning stuff . I'm still learning it's
capabilities .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" > wrote in message
news
> So I've got this dough in the freezer from my last pizza - it worked swell
> the first time so I now make double batches and freeze half . And I've got
> enough pizza sauce to do two calzones or one pizza ... And I'm thinking
> that I'm going to give it a whirl . The wife can't have dairy , so it
> works out well , I'm thinking shrooms , onions , beef , black olives , and
> pepperoni , maybe some ham too . Oven I think will be the same temp at
> 450°F , but on convection since I want the crust to brown nicely - I'll
> also have the pizza thingy (stone? but it's ceramic or something)in there
> , I like what it does for the bottom of the crust .

Nice!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:

> So I've got this dough in the freezer from my last pizza - it worked
>swell the first time so I now make double batches and freeze half . And
>I've got enough pizza sauce to do two calzones or one pizza ... And I'm
>thinking that I'm going to give it a whirl . The wife can't have dairy ,
>so it works out well , I'm thinking shrooms , onions , beef , black
>olives , and pepperoni , maybe some ham too . Oven I think will be the
>same temp at 450°F , but on convection since I want the crust to brown
>nicely - I'll also have the pizza thingy (stone? but it's ceramic or
>something)in there , I like what it does for the bottom of the crust.

Great idea... I like calzone better than pizza... only so far I've not
eaten calzone without cheese. I've not eaten pizza without cheese
either. Add some good Genoa salami too
Let us know the results.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/24/2018 4:05 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 21 Apr 2018 10:02:59 -0500, Terry Coombs wrote:
>
>> Â*So I've got this dough in the freezer from my last pizza - it worked
>> swell the first time so I now make double batches and freeze half . And
>> I've got enough pizza sauce to do two calzones or one pizza ... And I'm
>> thinking that I'm going to give it a whirl . The wife can't have dairy ,
>> so it works out well , I'm thinking shrooms , onions , beef , black
>> olives , and pepperoni , maybe some ham too . Oven I think will be the
>> same temp at 450°F , but on convection since I want the crust to brown
>> nicely - I'll also have the pizza thingy (stone? but it's ceramic or
>> something)in there , I like what it does for the bottom of the crust .

> You can't call it calzone without ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan
> (or romano). What she's getting is a baked panino.
>
> And this is a much more valid authenticity observation than your
> stupid Cincinnati chile whine.
>
> =sw

Â* (yawn) Nice try at trolling . Just can't stand anyone that doesn't
fall into line and do as you do can you ...

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/24/2018 11:02 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 08:17:55 -0500, Terry Coombs wrote:

>>> You can't call it calzone without ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan
>>> (or romano). What she's getting is a baked panino.
>>>
>>> And this is a much more valid authenticity observation than your
>>> stupid Cincinnati chile whine.

>> Â* (yawn) Nice try at trolling . Just can't stand anyone that doesn't
>> fall into line and do as you do can you ...

> You realize how ironic that sounds coming from you, right? You're the
> one that started that M.O. in several different threads. But I still
> maintain that only a idiot smokes pork butts at 200F (or was it
> 180F?). Any accomplished smoker will that you the same thing. You
> apparently made that all up in attempt to impress us, while not
> knowing that it doesn't work in reality.
>
> -sw

OhMyGod , Squirtz says I've been doing it wrong all these years ! I'm so
shattered ! Dude , I've cooked for large groups and nobody complained -
except when we ran out and they wanted more . To date , NOBODY has
refused to eat my Q because it wasn't cooked to your standards . You
just go ahead cooking yours so the result is a tough chewy piece of meat
dripping fat all over , I'll keep cooking mine so it almost literally
melts in your mouth and all the grease ends up in a drip pan underneath
.. It's called "pulled pork" because it's so tender you can shred it with
a fork - I usually use a plastic fork to make the point .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 23:02:23 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 08:17:55 -0500, Terry Coombs wrote:

>>> You can't call it calzone without ricotta, mozzarella, and parmesan
>>> (or romano). What she's getting is a baked panino.
>>>
>>> And this is a much more valid authenticity observation than your
>>> stupid Cincinnati chile whine.

>> * (yawn) Nice try at trolling . Just can't stand anyone that doesn't
>> fall into line and do as you do can you ...

>You realize how ironic that sounds coming from you, right? You're the
>one that started that M.O. in several different threads. But I still
>maintain that only a idiot smokes pork butts at 200F (or was it
>180F?). Any accomplished smoker will that you the same thing. You
>apparently made that all up in attempt to impress us, while not
>knowing that it doesn't work in reality.
>
>-sw

Didn't all the old smoking books advocate 185F? It seems like I
remember that. Nowadays everything is 200 - 225F. Pretty much the
same as you would do in an oven. Maybe his smoker won't go any
higher.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2018 8:51 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 23:02:23 -0500, Sqwertz >
> wrote:

>>> Â* (yawn) Nice try at trolling . Just can't stand anyone that doesn't
>>> fall into line and do as you do can you ...

>> You realize how ironic that sounds coming from you, right? You're the
>> one that started that M.O. in several different threads. But I still
>> maintain that only a idiot smokes pork butts at 200F (or was it
>> 180F?). Any accomplished smoker will that you the same thing. You
>> apparently made that all up in attempt to impress us, while not
>> knowing that it doesn't work in reality.
>>
>> -sw

> Didn't all the old smoking books advocate 185F? It seems like I
> remember that. Nowadays everything is 200 - 225F. Pretty much the
> same as you would do in an oven. Maybe his smoker won't go any
> higher.
> Janet US

Â* My smoker will go as high as 400-500° if I choose to open the dampers
all the way . I generally run between 185°-200° , nowhere near the 300°+
Squirtz is recommending . As I said , this is how I've been doing pork
butts and shoulders for over 20 years . He apparently has had a bad
experience with dry/tough/unsatisfactory smoked pork , and thinks that
cooking faster means juicier . That ain't so , IF you use a good rub mix
.. The brown sugar in my SnagRub forms a crust or glaze that keeps the
meat moist during those long cooking times . The only times I have had
complaints is when I tried to do it (sorta) his way with higher temps
and shorter cook times . Ended up with tough and greasy meat that I
didn't like . Quality takes time , and there are no short cuts .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 09:53:33 -0500, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 4/25/2018 8:51 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 23:02:23 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> You realize how ironic that sounds coming from you, right? You're the
>>> one that started that M.O. in several different threads. But I still
>>> maintain that only a idiot smokes pork butts at 200F (or was it
>>> 180F?). Any accomplished smoker will that you the same thing. You
>>> apparently made that all up in attempt to impress us, while not
>>> knowing that it doesn't work in reality.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Didn't all the old smoking books advocate 185F? It seems like I
>> remember that. Nowadays everything is 200 - 225F. Pretty much the
>> same as you would do in an oven. Maybe his smoker won't go any
>> higher.
>> Janet US

> * My smoker will go as high as 400-500° if I choose to open the dampers
>all the way . I generally run between 185°-200° , nowhere near the 300°+
>Squirtz is recommending . As I said , this is how I've been doing pork
>butts and shoulders for over 20 years . He apparently has had a bad
>experience with dry/tough/unsatisfactory smoked pork , and thinks that
>cooking faster means juicier . That ain't so , IF you use a good rub mix
>. The brown sugar in my SnagRub forms a crust or glaze that keeps the
>meat moist during those long cooking times . The only times I have had
>complaints is when I tried to do it (sorta) his way with higher temps
>and shorter cook times . Ended up with tough and greasy meat that I
>didn't like . Quality takes time , and there are no short cuts .

I do pork butt and brisket at 225F and they couldn't be juicier. The
butt slides apart. I don't see any point to just have the smoker
running for 13-18 hours to stand around and drink beer and feed the
smoker. I'm just sayin' times have changed,. For safety sake, it is
better to get meat and poultry up away from bacteria heaven.
Why on earth would you want a smoker to go to 500F?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2018 1:06 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 09:53:33 -0500, Terry Coombs >
> wrote:
>
>> On 4/25/2018 8:51 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> Didn't all the old smoking books advocate 185F? It seems like I
>>> remember that. Nowadays everything is 200 - 225F. Pretty much the
>>> same as you would do in an oven. Maybe his smoker won't go any
>>> higher.
>>> Janet US

>> Â* My smoker will go as high as 400-500° if I choose to open the dampers
>> all the way . I generally run between 185°-200° , nowhere near the 300°+
>> Squirtz is recommending . As I said , this is how I've been doing pork
>> butts and shoulders for over 20 years . He apparently has had a bad
>> experience with dry/tough/unsatisfactory smoked pork , and thinks that
>> cooking faster means juicier . That ain't so , IF you use a good rub mix
>> . The brown sugar in my SnagRub forms a crust or glaze that keeps the
>> meat moist during those long cooking times . The only times I have had
>> complaints is when I tried to do it (sorta) his way with higher temps
>> and shorter cook times . Ended up with tough and greasy meat that I
>> didn't like . Quality takes time , and there are no short cuts .

> I do pork butt and brisket at 225F and they couldn't be juicier. The
> butt slides apart. I don't see any point to just have the smoker
> running for 13-18 hours to stand around and drink beer and feed the
> smoker. I'm just sayin' times have changed,. For safety sake, it is
> better to get meat and poultry up away from bacteria heaven.
> Why on earth would you want a smoker to go to 500F?
> Janet US

Â* Some like to sear things , then turn the heat down . I don't .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/25/2018 12:22 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 07:51:48 -0600, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 23:02:23 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:

>>> You realize how ironic that sounds coming from you, right? You're the
>>> one that started that M.O. in several different threads. But I still
>>> maintain that only a idiot smokes pork butts at 200F (or was it
>>> 180F?). Any accomplished smoker will that you the same thing. You
>>> apparently made that all up in attempt to impress us, while not
>>> knowing that it doesn't work in reality.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> Didn't all the old smoking books advocate 185F? It seems like I
>> remember that. Nowadays everything is 200 - 225F. Pretty much the
>> same as you would do in an oven. Maybe his smoker won't go any
>> higher.

> The finished temperature of pulled pork is supposed to be 195-200F.
> How do you get to that final temp if you only smoke at 185F?
>
> Everybody but the ignorant old-timers know that you don't smoke
> anything at less than 225F. And there's no benefit in cooking at 225F
> rather than 275F, unless you WANT to wait longer for your food. Meat
> only absorbs smoke for the first 2-3 hours. You can do 225F for the
> first couple of hours. But it ain't gonna going to get any better
> cooking it low and slow after that - just collect creosote and dry
> out. Crank up that temperature.
>
> And a pork butt stall at around ~165F. If you're smoking at 185F, that
> internal temperature is not going to rise more than 1 degree for about
> 6 hours - a total waste of time. But my guess is that his magical
> pork doesn't stall, either.
>
> Anyway, arguing this is stupid. I wouldn't have to do this any
> smoking or BBQ forum because it's all common knowledge. I'm done
> here.
>
> -sw

Â* Good ! You won't be missed .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 20:29:40 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 15:56:52 -0500, Terry Coombs wrote:
>
>> On 4/25/2018 12:22 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
>>
>>> Anyway, arguing this is stupid. I wouldn't have to do this any
>>> smoking or BBQ forum because it's all common knowledge. I'm done
>>> here.

>> * Good ! You won't be missed .

>You should just killfile me. That way I can correct your advice and
>let people decide for themselves without all your nonsense bickering
>and your admitted trolling.

What's a killfile?

Tomato Calzones Kathy[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 19-08-2008 03:10 AM
Pizza Calzones Jenn Bartimus[_3_] Recipes (moderated) 0 23-12-2007 02:20 PM
Mexican Calzones jacqueline austin Recipes (moderated) 0 20-05-2007 03:06 PM
Cheese Calzones Duckie ® Recipes 0 04-06-2006 04:49 PM
what to serve with calzones? Yvonne General Cooking 24 25-02-2004 04:58 PM