Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Zucchini Boats

Aka stuffed zucchini.

I was going to make these for dinner tomorrow but found some marked down
stew meat while shopping. Will make stew instead and these the next day.

I have seen Italian type recipes that use bread crumbs and call for the
scooped out insides to be mixed back in and restuffed. But... I am going to
do a Mexican version. The recipe calls for corn, brown rice, beans, salsa
and other things. I will be adding ground beef as well.

But my question? What to do with the scooped out insides? Should I toss this
stuff out or can I use it in some way? Would it be too watery to add to my
stew or to try to use in zucchini bread? Is there another use for it? No
biggie if I do toss it out as I got the squash for very cheap.

Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> Aka stuffed zucchini.
>
> I was going to make these for dinner tomorrow but found some marked
> down stew meat while shopping. Will make stew instead and these the
> next day.
>
> I have seen Italian type recipes that use bread crumbs and call for
> the scooped out insides to be mixed back in and restuffed. But... I
> am going to do a Mexican version. The recipe calls for corn, brown
> rice, beans, salsa and other things. I will be adding ground beef as
> well.
>
> But my question? What to do with the scooped out insides? Should I
> toss this stuff out or can I use it in some way? Would it be too
> watery to add to my stew or to try to use in zucchini bread? Is there
> another use for it? No biggie if I do toss it out as I got the squash
> for very cheap.
>
> Thanks.

Hi Julie, it would work well in any vegetable broth. It can also work
in the stew but you reduce the ot6her liquids by the same volume. So
say your stew wanted 4 cups of broth, reduce that by the volume of the
pulp and use it instead.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Aka stuffed zucchini.
>>
>> I was going to make these for dinner tomorrow but found some marked
>> down stew meat while shopping. Will make stew instead and these the
>> next day.
>>
>> I have seen Italian type recipes that use bread crumbs and call for
>> the scooped out insides to be mixed back in and restuffed. But... I
>> am going to do a Mexican version. The recipe calls for corn, brown
>> rice, beans, salsa and other things. I will be adding ground beef as
>> well.
>>
>> But my question? What to do with the scooped out insides? Should I
>> toss this stuff out or can I use it in some way? Would it be too
>> watery to add to my stew or to try to use in zucchini bread? Is there
>> another use for it? No biggie if I do toss it out as I got the squash
>> for very cheap.
>>
>> Thanks.

> Hi Julie, it would work well in any vegetable broth. It can also work
> in the stew but you reduce the ot6her liquids by the same volume. So
> say your stew wanted 4 cups of broth, reduce that by the volume of the
> pulp and use it instead.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 20:52:34 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Aka stuffed zucchini.
>
>I was going to make these for dinner tomorrow but found some marked down
>stew meat while shopping. Will make stew instead and these the next day.
>
>I have seen Italian type recipes that use bread crumbs and call for the
>scooped out insides to be mixed back in and restuffed. But... I am going to
>do a Mexican version. The recipe calls for corn, brown rice, beans, salsa
>and other things. I will be adding ground beef as well.
>
>But my question? What to do with the scooped out insides? Should I toss this
>stuff out or can I use it in some way? Would it be too watery to add to my
>stew or to try to use in zucchini bread? Is there another use for it? No
>biggie if I do toss it out as I got the squash for very cheap.
>
>Thanks.

Isn't the pulp where the seeds are?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>Julie Bove wrote:
>
>>Aka stuffed zucchini.
>>
>>I was going to make these for dinner tomorrow but found some marked down
>>stew meat while shopping. Will make stew instead and these the next day.
>>
>>I have seen Italian type recipes that use bread crumbs and call for the
>>scooped out insides to be mixed back in and restuffed. But... I am going to
>>do a Mexican version. The recipe calls for corn, brown rice, beans, salsa
>>and other things. I will be adding ground beef as well.
>>
>>But my question? What to do with the scooped out insides? Should I toss this
>>stuff out or can I use it in some way? Would it be too watery to add to my
>>stew or to try to use in zucchini bread? Is there another use for it? No
>>biggie if I do toss it out as I got the squash for very cheap.
>>
>>Thanks.

>Isn't the pulp where the seeds are?

Unless zukes are baseball bat size the seeds are inconsequential.
The scooped out pulp can be sauted to reduce, then mixed into the
stuffing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 20:52:34 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>
>>Aka stuffed zucchini.
>>
>>I was going to make these for dinner tomorrow but found some marked down
>>stew meat while shopping. Will make stew instead and these the next day.
>>
>>I have seen Italian type recipes that use bread crumbs and call for the
>>scooped out insides to be mixed back in and restuffed. But... I am going
>>do a Mexican version. The recipe calls for corn, brown rice, beans, salsa
>>and other things. I will be adding ground beef as well.
>>
>>But my question? What to do with the scooped out insides? Should I toss
>>this
>>stuff out or can I use it in some way? Would it be too watery to add to my
>>stew or to try to use in zucchini bread? Is there another use for it? No
>>biggie if I do toss it out as I got the squash for very cheap.
>>
>>Thanks.

> Isn't the pulp where the seeds are?

Yes. Is there something wrong with the seeds?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>>Aka stuffed zucchini.
>>>
>>>I was going to make these for dinner tomorrow but found some marked down
>>>stew meat while shopping. Will make stew instead and these the next day.
>>>
>>>I have seen Italian type recipes that use bread crumbs and call for the
>>>scooped out insides to be mixed back in and restuffed. But... I am going
>>>do a Mexican version. The recipe calls for corn, brown rice, beans, salsa
>>>and other things. I will be adding ground beef as well.
>>>
>>>But my question? What to do with the scooped out insides? Should I toss
>>>this
>>>stuff out or can I use it in some way? Would it be too watery to add to
>>>my
>>>stew or to try to use in zucchini bread? Is there another use for it? No
>>>biggie if I do toss it out as I got the squash for very cheap.
>>>
>>>Thanks.

>>Isn't the pulp where the seeds are?

> Unless zukes are baseball bat size the seeds are inconsequential.
> The scooped out pulp can be sauted to reduce, then mixed into the
> stuffing.

I figured there would be enough other stuff in the stuffing. Plus I wanted
some zucchini in the stew. I wound up preparing only one (so far) to stuff.
It was so large that I had to cut it in half. It was longer than a dinner
plate. I think I will do what you said with some of the pulp. I'll either
throw the rest out or if I can fit it in the freezer, save it for the next
batch of soup or stew.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> > > Isn't the pulp where the seeds are?

> > Unless zukes are baseball bat size the seeds are inconsequential.
> > The scooped out pulp can be sauted to reduce, then mixed into the
> > stuffing.

> I figured there would be enough other stuff in the stuffing. Plus I
> wanted some zucchini in the stew. I wound up preparing only one (so
> far) to stuff. It was so large that I had to cut it in half. It was
> longer than a dinner plate. I think I will do what you said with some
> of the pulp. I'll either throw the rest out or if I can fit it in the
> freezer, save it for the next batch of soup or stew.

You can also composte it if you like. If you don't heat it enough to
kill the seeds though, you are apt to grow your own fresh zukes on the
compose pile ;-)
Carol
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> You can also composte it if you like. If you don't heat it enough to
> kill the seeds though, you are apt to grow your own fresh zukes on the
> compose pile ;-)

"Not there's anything wrong with that."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 10:57:52 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>cshenk wrote:
>>
>> You can also composte it if you like. If you don't heat it enough to
>> kill the seeds though, you are apt to grow your own fresh zukes on the
>> compose pile ;-)

>"Not there's anything wrong with that."

I don't think Julie gardens so she has no use for compost... plus
composting zukes yields a miniscule amount of compost, zukes are
mostly water. I usually circumsize zukes, I slice their very tips
off... they get tossed out my window along with all other veggie
scraps, by morning it's gone.

We compost but not produce that's mostly water, in fact we have two
composters going but primarily for more solid organics, like coffee
grounds and tea bags.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> cshenk wrote:
> >
> > You can also composte it if you like. If you don't heat it enough
> > to kill the seeds though, you are apt to grow your own fresh zukes
> > on the compose pile ;-)

> "Not there's anything wrong with that."

Nope! Not at all!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>

>> > wrote in message

>> > Unless zukes are baseball bat size the seeds are inconsequential.
>> > The scooped out pulp can be sauted to reduce, then mixed into the
>> > stuffing.

>> I figured there would be enough other stuff in the stuffing. Plus I
>> wanted some zucchini in the stew. I wound up preparing only one (so
>> far) to stuff. It was so large that I had to cut it in half. It was
>> longer than a dinner plate. I think I will do what you said with some
>> of the pulp. I'll either throw the rest out or if I can fit it in the
>> freezer, save it for the next batch of soup or stew.

> You can also composte it if you like. If you don't heat it enough to
> kill the seeds though, you are apt to grow your own fresh zukes on the
> compose pile ;-)

I don't have a compost pile.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Apr 2018 10:57:52 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>cshenk wrote:
>>>
>>> You can also composte it if you like. If you don't heat it enough to
>>> kill the seeds though, you are apt to grow your own fresh zukes on the
>>> compose pile ;-)

>>"Not there's anything wrong with that."

> I don't think Julie gardens so she has no use for compost... plus
> composting zukes yields a miniscule amount of compost, zukes are
> mostly water. I usually circumsize zukes, I slice their very tips
> off... they get tossed out my window along with all other veggie
> scraps, by morning it's gone.

I don't compost but my food scraps do get composted. I am growing lettuce,
spinach, onions, radishes, tomatoes and herbs.

<snip>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/22/2018 6:55 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>>
>> You can also composte it if you like.Â* If you don't heat it enough to
>> kill the seeds though, you are apt to grow your own fresh zukes on the
>> compose pile ;-)

> I don't have a compost pile.

Then what does this statement from another of your replies mean? "I
don't compost but my food scraps do get composted."

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 4/22/2018 6:55 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> You can also composte it if you like. If you don't heat it enough to
>>> kill the seeds though, you are apt to grow your own fresh zukes on the
>>> compose pile ;-)

>> I don't have a compost pile.

> Then what does this statement from another of your replies mean? "I don't
> compost but my food scraps do get composted."

I have explained this umpteen times! We are required to compost food scraps
here. If we don't do it ourselves, they go in the bin with the yard waste.
This is sent to a company that composts it and makes fertilizer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 16:13:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> I don't have a compost pile.

>> Then what does this statement from another of your replies mean? "I don't
>> compost but my food scraps do get composted."

>I have explained this umpteen times! We are required to compost food scraps
>here. If we don't do it ourselves, they go in the bin with the yard waste.
>This is sent to a company that composts it and makes fertilizer.

Julie, just because you have explained something in the past doesn't
necessarily mean that everyone has read those posts.

I frequently take time off from the newsgroup and I miss a lot of
stuff - not to mention that I rarely read every post. I missed the
yard waste stuff. Maybe Jill missed it as well.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Doris Night" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 16:13:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:

>>> Then what does this statement from another of your replies mean? "I
>>> don't
>>> compost but my food scraps do get composted."

>>I have explained this umpteen times! We are required to compost food
>>scraps
>>here. If we don't do it ourselves, they go in the bin with the yard waste.
>>This is sent to a company that composts it and makes fertilizer.

> Julie, just because you have explained something in the past doesn't
> necessarily mean that everyone has read those posts.
>
> I frequently take time off from the newsgroup and I miss a lot of
> stuff - not to mention that I rarely read every post. I missed the
> yard waste stuff. Maybe Jill missed it as well.

Jill didn't miss it. I've said it repeatedly. She's just picking at me
again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 6:18:22 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> Jill didn't miss it. I've said it repeatedly. She's just picking at me
> again.

Whine some more you retarded bitch.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/27/2018 7:18 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Doris Night" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 16:13:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>> I have explained this umpteen times! We are required to compost food
>>> scraps
>>> here. If we don't do it ourselves, they go in the bin with the yard
>>> waste.
>>> This is sent to a company that composts it and makes fertilizer.

>> Julie, just because you have explained something in the past doesn't
>> necessarily mean that everyone has read those posts.
>>
>> I frequently take time off from the newsgroup and I miss a lot of
>> stuff - not to mention that I rarely read every post. I missed the
>> yard waste stuff. Maybe Jill missed it as well.

> Jill didn't miss it.Â* I've said it repeatedly. She's just picking at me
> again.

Your statement was poorly written (there, now I'm picking at you). I
have no idea what the rules are for your waste/trash pickup.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> On 4/27/2018 7:18 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Doris Night" > wrote in message
>>> On Thu, 26 Apr 2018 16:13:45 -0700, "Julie Bove"

>>> Julie, just because you have explained something in the past doesn't
>>> necessarily mean that everyone has read those posts.
>>>
>>> I frequently take time off from the newsgroup and I miss a lot of
>>> stuff - not to mention that I rarely read every post. I missed the
>>> yard waste stuff. Maybe Jill missed it as well.

>> Jill didn't miss it. I've said it repeatedly. She's just picking at
>> me again.

> Your statement was poorly written (there, now I'm picking at you). I
> have no idea what the rules are for your waste/trash pickup.
>
> Jill

You know damn well there are very complicated, twisted rules. After all,
it's Bothel, and she's the Bove.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 10:39:16 PM UTC-4, Hank Rogers wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

> >> Jill didn't miss it. I've said it repeatedly. She's just picking at
> >> me again.

> > Your statement was poorly written (there, now I'm picking at you). I
> > have no idea what the rules are for your waste/trash pickup.
> >
> > Jill

> You know damn well there are very complicated, twisted rules. After all,
> it's Bothel, and she's the Bove.

Biobags! Biobags!

Who could forget the biobags? Here's a post from two years ago:

I have mentioned the food disposal going
back years ago when I asked here about fruit flies in the kitchen compost
bin. I just quit using that. I now use a small plastic trash can that is
emptied at least once a day. Or in some cases when prepping food, just put
the scraps in a Biobag and take that out to the green bin. I no longer
bother using those in the little trash can. Why? They break down very
quickly so by the time we have trash pickup, they're dissolved. I can use
paper bags as well but I don't often have them.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 10:39:16 PM UTC-4, Hank Rogers wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote:

> > > Your statement was poorly written (there, now I'm picking at you). I
> > > have no idea what the rules are for your waste/trash pickup.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > You know damn well there are very complicated, twisted rules. After all,
> > it's Bothel, and she's the Bove.

> Biobags! Biobags!
>
> Who could forget the biobags? Here's a post from two years ago:
>
> I have mentioned the food disposal going
> back years ago when I asked here about fruit flies in the kitchen compost
> bin. I just quit using that. I now use a small plastic trash can that is
> emptied at least once a day. Or in some cases when prepping food, just put
> the scraps in a Biobag and take that out to the green bin. I no longer
> bother using those in the little trash can. Why? They break down very
> quickly so by the time we have trash pickup, they're dissolved. I can use
> paper bags as well but I don't often have them.

You can split this group dow the middle into those who have a
functioning brain and memory, and the others.

Janet UK

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/28/2018 9:38 AM, Janet wrote:
> In article >,
> says...

>>> You know damn well there are very complicated, twisted rules. After all,
>>> it's Bothel, and she's the Bove.

>> Biobags! Biobags!
>>
>> Who could forget the biobags? Here's a post from two years ago:
>>
>> I have mentioned the food disposal going
>> back years ago when I asked here about fruit flies in the kitchen compost

(snip)

> You can split this group dow the middle into those who have a
> functioning brain and memory, and the others.
>
> Janet UK

I have a pretty good memory but I tend not to retain things which are
incredibly boring... such as how Julie disposes of or is required to
dispose of food scraps. LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 9:01:06 PM UTC-6, Julie Bove wrote:
> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> > On Fri, 20 Apr 2018 20:52:34 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>Aka stuffed zucchini.
> >>
> >>I was going to make these for dinner tomorrow but found some marked down
> >>stew meat while shopping. Will make stew instead and these the next day.
> >>
> >>I have seen Italian type recipes that use bread crumbs and call for the
> >>scooped out insides to be mixed back in and restuffed. But... I am going
> >>do a Mexican version. The recipe calls for corn, brown rice, beans, salsa
> >>and other things. I will be adding ground beef as well.
> >>
> >>But my question? What to do with the scooped out insides? Should I toss
> >>this
> >>stuff out or can I use it in some way? Would it be too watery to add to my
> >>stew or to try to use in zucchini bread? Is there another use for it? No
> >>biggie if I do toss it out as I got the squash for very cheap.
> >>
> >>Thanks.

> > Isn't the pulp where the seeds are?

> Yes. Is there something wrong with the seeds?

There is very little hope for you IF you don't know what to do with the Zucchini seeds. It is imperative for all cooks to have this knowledge.
Let us hope that someone comes to your rescue and provides some faint glimmer
of salvation for you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 28 Apr 2018 14:38:34 +0100, Janet > wrote:

> You can split this group dow the middle into those who have a
>functioning brain and memory, and the others.

Don't worry Janet. You have your talents too, I'm sure. Maybe you're
really good at making scones?