Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default The "perfect" shepherd's pie - Recipe

Mike_Duffy wrote:
>itsjoannotjoan wrote:

>>Foil is completely unnecessary.

>The end goal is more the latter-day home fries than the initial bake/roast,
>although usually we will eat a few right away. With no foil, they end up
>too dry & thus too hard when fried later.

Someone named Mike Duffy has to be a Mick, a spud maven, and only eats
spuds one way, pilfered, wrapped in newspaper and baked in an open
pit... Mickies!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 03:04:36 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 6:24:29 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 10:08:00 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>> >Maybe he should stay away from sharp objects, including pencils. ;-)
>> >Cheri

>> 'Zactly! Gary's snowflake hands are more tender than a baby's tush.

>For which the ladies are grateful, I'm sure.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Real women do not appreciate faggot hands. Real women like real man's
hands so long as they are clean.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 12:27:11 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>penmart wrote

>> Skilled at what... LYING... I've seen nothing most have cooked.

>We've never seen your dick; does that mean you're lying about your
>sexual exploits?
>
> Janet UK SLUT

And yoose ****s say I'm crude.
Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. . . .
I've been happily married for 27 years and never think about cheating
.... you'd **** any dick happens by and I'm positive you do, UK SLUT.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 13:08:48 -0400, Cheri >
wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 12:27:11 +0100, Janet > wrote:
>>
>> >In article >, penmart01
>> says...

>> > We've never seen your dick; does that mean you're lying about your
>> >sexual exploits?

>> Careful, please!
>>

>He's a needle dick bug ****er.

If I put my dick in your face you'd faint from fear.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 13:08:48 -0400, Cheri >
> wrote:
>
>>In article >,
says...

>>> says...

>>> Careful, please!
>>>

>>He's a needle dick bug ****er.

> If I put my dick in your face you'd faint from fear.

You should obviously know that I DID NOT WRITE THAT!!! Can you not see the
"invalid" in the addy? At least you should know whose face you're putting it
in, I'm sure it's some silly male freak who would not faint, but would enjoy
it.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/23/2018 2:02 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> OK, we're not talking about the same thing here, there is no low,
>>> sounds like a blender instead of a food processor like Cuisinart.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Well, it sounds like a quick way to clean a FP.* I have an old
>> Hamilton Beach FP.* I honestly couldn't tell you how many settings it
>> has.* I rarely use it.* But in this case I don't think the brand or
>> the settings matter.* We're just talking swishing around hot water in
>> an FP (or a blender, for that matter) with some dish soap.* I would
>> then (carefully, Gary!) remove the blade, rinse it and the bowl and
>> let them both dry in the dish rack.* Certainly sounds feasible to me.
>>
>> Jill

> I don't understand what you mean I guess. Why would you swish water
> around in a FP instead of simply removing the bowl and washing it with
> soapy water. How does anyone wash a butcher knife without the same
> problem then?
>
> Cheri

I was merely being descriptive. Of course you run it to do the
high-powered swishing. LOL Just add hot water and dish soap. (Don't
forget to put the top on!) Then run it again with clean hot water to rinse.

Me, I always disassemble mine and wash it by hand. I was merely saying,
since Gary seems to cut himself, this method should work well.

I'd still remove the blade and the bowl and let them dry separately.
And the lid with the chute, of course.

I've said before, I don't use my FP very often. I've never tried using
it to mince meat. Never anything that would tend to gunk it up.

I think the last time I used it was when I wanted to quickly, evenly and
easily *slice* a quantity of yellow crookneck squash. For my squash
casserole. (Yum!) It didn't require much of a cleaning. Pretty much
just a good rinsing. And hey, I didn't cut myself washing the slicing
blade!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 16:15:37 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 13:08:48 -0400, Cheri >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>In article >,
says...

>>>He's a needle dick bug ****er.

>> If I put my dick in your face you'd faint from fear.

>You should obviously know that I DID NOT WRITE THAT!!! Can you not see the
>"invalid" in the addy? At least you should know whose face you're putting it
>in, I'm sure it's some silly male freak who would not faint, but would enjoy
>it.

Lol. Do you think there are many people in this newsgroup who think
you've become quite foulmouthed lately?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 4/23/2018 2:02 AM, Cheri wrote:

>>> Well, it sounds like a quick way to clean a FP. I have an old Hamilton
>>> Beach FP. I honestly couldn't tell you how many settings it has. I
>>> rarely use it. But in this case I don't think the brand or the settings
>>> matter. We're just talking swishing around hot water in an FP (or a
>>> blender, for that matter) with some dish soap. I would then (carefully,
>>> Gary!) remove the blade, rinse it and the bowl and let them both dry in
>>> the dish rack. Certainly sounds feasible to me.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I don't understand what you mean I guess. Why would you swish water
>> around in a FP instead of simply removing the bowl and washing it with
>> soapy water. How does anyone wash a butcher knife without the same
>> problem then?
>>
>> Cheri

> I was merely being descriptive. Of course you run it to do the
> high-powered swishing. LOL Just add hot water and dish soap. (Don't
> forget to put the top on!) Then run it again with clean hot water to
> rinse.
>
> Me, I always disassemble mine and wash it by hand. I was merely saying,
> since Gary seems to cut himself, this method should work well.
>
> I'd still remove the blade and the bowl and let them dry separately. And
> the lid with the chute, of course.
>
> I've said before, I don't use my FP very often. I've never tried using it
> to mince meat. Never anything that would tend to gunk it up.
>
> I think the last time I used it was when I wanted to quickly, evenly and
> easily *slice* a quantity of yellow crookneck squash. For my squash
> casserole. (Yum!) It didn't require much of a cleaning. Pretty much just
> a good rinsing. And hey, I didn't cut myself washing the slicing blade!
>

> Jill

OK, I was just saying that it sounds much more time consuming to clean a FP
that way, especially when they are so easy to clean. Now, a blender is a
different story IMO.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 16:15:37 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
> wrote in message
. ..
> [...]
says...

>>> If I put my dick in your face you'd faint from fear.

>>You should obviously know that I DID NOT WRITE THAT!!! Can you not see the
>>"invalid" in the addy? At least you should know whose face you're putting
>>it
>>in, I'm sure it's some silly male freak who would not faint, but would
>>enjoy
>>it.

> Lol. Do you think there are many people in this newsgroup who think
> you've become quite foulmouthed lately?

I hope not. I can be testy at times, but I would never write garbage like
that.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:
>
>> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>> > On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 16:15:37 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> > wrote:

>> your

>> > Lol. Do you think there are many people in this newsgroup who think
>> > you've become quite foulmouthed lately?

>> I hope not. I can be testy at times, but I would never write garbage
>> like that.
>>
>> Cheri

> Don't worry Cheri,
>
> We know a real post from a fake one.

I hope so, you would think the "cellar dwellers" would tire of it, or at
least get out of their teen years.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:

> >(now >>>>> > that my favorite store closed yesterday). ;-(

> >some >>>>> > good strip steaks instead. Anyone here ever tried that?
> >Without >>>>> > a meat grinder, just cut up some beef and pulse it a
> >few times >>in >>> > a food processor?

> slime'. >>>> >

> would >> > probably be more useful.

> >> I've been eyeing small food processors here for a bit. The sort
> >> that do about 2-3 cups max. So far, I hand chop or I have a small
> >> Japanese brand blender (don't ask me model, can't read Japanese
> >> script).
> > >
> >> The blender works for soups and making hummus nicely though it took
> >> several runs to do the 8oz of lentils and matching tahini

> yesterday. >> (I made up a lb of lentils with Tandoori seasoning
> yesterday and >> Charlotte took about 1/2 and made Dal.)
> > >
> >> The blender has pulse, low, and high. Holds about 4-4.5 cups but
> >> for tahini, you have to use pulse and it works best if you at least
> >> partly crush the sesame seeds in a mortar and pestle first. Then
> >> once to a decent paste, add the beans (lentils this time so not
> >> sure if some would call it 'hummus' or not.). I am thinking a real
> >> food processor might make it easier?
> > >
> >> I don't need more than 2 cups for a food processor but I gather

> they >> work better if you size up one cup capacity for what you
> normally >> make.
> > >
> >> Suggestions on brands welcome here! I am pretty sure the main use
> >> will be pulse mode and some chopping/shredding where the size of
> >> the results don't have to be very distinct.

> > I love the Cuisinart Basic, though they have discontinued it, and I
> > certainly never paid that for it. I believe it was around 50.00 or
> > so dollars at the time.
> >
> > https://www.cuisinart.com/discontinu...cessors/dlc-5/
> > ==
> >
> > Mine is very similar to that, but it is a Kenwood.

> Thanks! I looked it up and liked the model.
>
> For the moment, I'm in no rush but I keep eyeing 2 small units on
> Amazon that seem my size of use.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000I0DV6W
>
> That one I keep coming back to. I know it's an inexpensive version,
> but it seems to have what I need here.
>
> I have had several 'food processors' that my MIL kept getting me at
> various yardsales and they gathered dust until I passed them on via
> Freecycle because they were just too big for my uses.
>
> It's an odd thing perhaps but except for cabbage, I don't think I ever
> chop more than 1 cup of anything here?
>
> ==
>
> The one I have now is much smaller than the one I had when the
> children were still at home, but it is fine for us.
>
> I have an old Kenwood Chef and always used to use the attachments ie
> blender, mincer etc etc but it is too clunky for me now. I just use
> the dough hook, paddle and whisk. The new stuff is much easier.

Thats what it seems to me. I need smaller unit and they got closer to
what I want now. They may not last as long but then, I don't have to
work with a unit that weighs 20lbs which I can't lift and makes way too
much food for a meal in my home.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 4:02:09 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 03:04:36 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 6:24:29 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:

> >> 'Zactly! Gary's snowflake hands are more tender than a baby's tush.

> >For which the ladies are grateful, I'm sure.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> Real women do not appreciate faggot hands. Real women like real man's
> hands so long as they are clean.

Might I ask: what's the difference between a real woman and an
"unreal" woman?

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 4:07:26 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 4:02:09 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> > On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 03:04:36 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> > > wrote:

> > >For which the ladies are grateful, I'm sure.
> > >
> > >Cindy Hamilton

> > Real women do not appreciate faggot hands. Real women like real man's
> > hands so long as they are clean.

> Might I ask: what's the difference between a real woman and an
> "unreal" woman?
>
> Cindy Hamilton

While he is at it maybe he would like to explain what a "real" man is so we
can appreciate them as well. Sheldon has so many hang-ups about relationships
that he is BORING to say the least.
====
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 4:07:26 AM UTC-6, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 4:02:09 PM UTC-4, Sheldon wrote:
> > > On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 03:04:36 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton

> > > Real women do not appreciate faggot hands. Real women like real man's
> > > hands so long as they are clean.

> > Might I ask: what's the difference between a real woman and an
> > "unreal" woman?
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> While he is at it maybe he would like to explain what a "real" man is so we
> can appreciate them as well. Sheldon has so many hang-ups about relationships
> that he is BORING to say the least.
> ====

His ass sucks canal water.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Mon 23 Apr 2018 07:57:47p, Mike_Duffy told us...
>
>> On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 17:33:15 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, the interior is fluffy and dry the way it's supposed to be.
>>> Roasted potatoes are a different matter altogether.

>> Probably that is what you call what I do: Peel, roll in oil, then
>> wrap in foil.
>> The texture is not fluffy nor dry; rather they are almost gooey.
>> Usually, we do not eat most of them directly. I always cook an
>> exaggerated quantity most of which are room-cooled, the foil is
>> removed, then they are fridge cooled overnight, then sliced
>> (~0.25"), then pan-fried.
>>
>> The oil is mostly to facilitate defoiling.

> I would probably not like those potatoes, especially if they've been
> cooked in foil. The texture, too, is not what I prefer. Dry and
> fluffy for me. :-)

Same here, Wayne. I never bake potatoes in foil. I rub the skin with
butter or oil and sprinkle generously with coarse salt. I like a nice
crispy potato skin. Can't achieve that when they're wrapped in foil.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> you might not believe it but I do have a good sense of
> humor.

I do believe it but I've learned how to push some of your
buttons to transform you into evil Cheri, girlgang Cheri.
Husband learns to behave and go along or else.
After that one talk, I'll bet you grimace now when your
beloved husband meets his buddies at McDonald's for
coffee and fellowship. My apologies to him for giving
you a head's up on that.

Also, men together do talk trash sometimes but even then
I never knew any to cheat on wives. I never did.
It's just talk and not all men do that.

:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/24/2018 6:07 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 10:57:52 PM UTC-4, Mike_Duffy wrote:
>> On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 17:33:15 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, the interior is fluffy and dry the way it's supposed to be.
>>> Roasted potatoes are a different matter altogether.

>> Probably that is what you call what I do: Peel,

> But the peel is the best part. I usually scrape out most of the
> center and eat the outsides of the baked potato.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Yes indeed! I rub the peel with butter, sprinkle generously with coarse
salt, then bake. The crispy, salty potato skins are quite tasty.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> But the peel is the best part. I usually scrape out most of the
> center and eat the outsides of the baked potato.

But do you eat the scraped out insides too?
I put mine in a bowl and slice and dice the
entire potato peels and insides, then add butter and S&P.

With sweet potatoes though, I only eat the insides. No peel.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Cheri wrote:
>>
>> you might not believe it but I do have a good sense of
>> humor.

> I do believe it but I've learned how to push some of your
> buttons to transform you into evil Cheri, girlgang Cheri.
> Husband learns to behave and go along or else.
> After that one talk, I'll bet you grimace now when your
> beloved husband meets his buddies at McDonald's for
> coffee and fellowship. My apologies to him for giving
> you a head's up on that.
>
> Also, men together do talk trash sometimes but even then
> I never knew any to cheat on wives. I never did.
> It's just talk and not all men do that.
>
> :-)

And as I've told you many times, I don't care what men talk about when
they're together, any more than my dh would care about what we women talk
about when we're together. Now, if he was talking like that to other men
with me present, that would be a different story, but he has more class than
that. I am, and always have been,very secure in my marriage of 54 years, so
not a problem.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Might I ask: what's the difference between a real woman and an
> "unreal" woman?

Start with Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner.
Good grief! One seriously messed up individual, imo.

Politically correct everything now, my ass.
The MAN is seriously brain damaged.
He's also a dirt-ugly fake woman too.
Wonder if "she" has a boyfriend? lololol
That would be another seriously ill fellow.
YMMV.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Yes indeed! I rub the peel with butter, sprinkle generously with coarse
> salt, then bake. The crispy, salty potato skins are quite tasty.

I assume you pick off all the cat hairs first?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:
> I am, and always have been,very secure in my marriage of 54 years, so
> not a problem

Very cool. I love successful marriage stories. My parents were
married 67 years then dad died last year. I worry about her
dealing with it but so far all seems ok. I email her every day,
talk for 2 hours once per week. She's always known she can come
live with me but so far my sister is living there even though
she's gone most of the time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Cheri wrote:
>> I am, and always have been,very secure in my marriage of 54 years, so
>> not a problem

> Very cool. I love successful marriage stories. My parents were
> married 67 years then dad died last year. I worry about her
> dealing with it but so far all seems ok. I email her every day,
> talk for 2 hours once per week. She's always known she can come
> live with me but so far my sister is living there even though
> she's gone most of the time.

Yes, I'm sure it was/is very hard on her even with putting a good face on
it, you're a good son.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 11:26:32 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > But the peel is the best part. I usually scrape out most of the
> > center and eat the outsides of the baked potato.

> But do you eat the scraped out insides too?

No. I throw them away. I don't need that much starch. As seldom
as I eat baked potatoes, the waste is negligible.

> I put mine in a bowl and slice and dice the
> entire potato peels and insides, then add butter and S&P.
> With sweet potatoes though, I only eat the insides. No peel.

If I'm served sweet potato fries with the peel on, I eat the
peel. Otherwise, I don't eat the peel. It's just a little
too intense for me.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 11:31:17 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > Might I ask: what's the difference between a real woman and an
> > "unreal" woman?

> Start with Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner.
> Good grief! One seriously messed up individual, imo.
>
> Politically correct everything now, my ass.
> The MAN is seriously brain damaged.
> He's also a dirt-ugly fake woman too.
> Wonder if "she" has a boyfriend? lololol
> That would be another seriously ill fellow.
> YMMV.

I'm pretty sure that's not what Sheldon means. Or, at least, that
while Jenner might be included in his definition, it's not all
there is to it. Remember that the context is:

"Real women do not appreciate faggot hands. Real women like real man's hands so long as they are clean."

Still, I'll wait to read what he writes on the subject.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-25 12:35 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 11:26:32 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>>
>>> But the peel is the best part. I usually scrape out most of the
>>> center and eat the outsides of the baked potato.

>> But do you eat the scraped out insides too?

> No. I throw them away. I don't need that much starch. As seldom
> as I eat baked potatoes, the waste is negligible.

You and I could share baked potatoes. I like the inside and usually
scrape it out and discard the skin.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 11:12:27 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/24/2018 6:07 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Probably that is what you call what I do: Peel,

>> But the peel is the best part. I usually scrape out most of the
>> center and eat the outsides of the baked potato.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>Yes indeed! I rub the peel with butter, sprinkle generously with coarse
>salt, then bake. The crispy, salty potato skins are quite tasty.

Today on The Chew, they made crispy potato skins from potato peelings.
Tossed them with EVOO & salt, laid them out on a parchment-lined sheet
pan, then baked 'em for 15 minutes at 400.

They looked really good. I'm going to try that the next time I have to
peel potatoes.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> Cheri wrote:
> > I am, and always have been,very secure in my marriage of 54 years,
> > so not a problem

> Very cool. I love successful marriage stories. My parents were
> married 67 years then dad died last year. I worry about her
> dealing with it but so far all seems ok. I email her every day,
> talk for 2 hours once per week. She's always known she can come
> live with me but so far my sister is living there even though
> she's gone most of the time.

32 years and climbing here. We both are first marriage but married
later than many. 10 year age separation between us but it never
mattered. What mattered was we matched after decade/s of dating.