Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Jill's Stuffed Fish (was Dinner 4/18/18 Will Be...)

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 12:28:48 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> lol thanks) So, is it actually some kind of Spam?

It's a thickish kind of sausage that not dried or aged. It has a tangy taste
from a light fermentation or the addition of lactic or citric acid. It's
kind of a cheap sausage.

==

Ok, thanks

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 6:29:15 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I suspect we might classify it as "summer sausage".
>
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_sausage>
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I would too. My guess is that the term doesn't mean much to a Brit. Mostly
it's a sausage that one wouldn't buy except to pass it over to some other
poor sod as a gift.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/e1e...b7fbfc3.jp eg

==

lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 10:37:47 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > Incidentally, I realised that musubi is that thing with the spam
> > and rice I
> > make. What do you call that sauce that I use with the Red Chicken?

> I've never tried mixing barbecue sauce and shoyu together. I don't
> know why people here don't do that though.
>
> ==
>
> Actually i was referring to the sauce I made with the Red Chicken.
> 1 cup light soy sauce
> 1 cup dark soy sauce
> 1/2 cup Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
> 1/2 cup brown sugar or 1/3 cup Chinese rock sugar
> 4 cups water
> Dried mushrooms
> Onions
> leeks
>
> That is D's absolute favourite.
>
> What would you call that?

Loo sauce.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Ophelia wrote:

> >> No, nori is a seaweed like Kombu, Bonito is fish. Nori can be used
> >> to make Dashi in place of Kombu when you have access only to Nori
> >> (common in the USA).
> > >
> >> If it helps, this page is pretty good at explaining it.
> > >
> >> https://umamimart.com/blogs/main/japanify-seaweed
> > >
> >> I tried to translate a bit in that very old MM post.
> > >
> >> ==
> > >
> >> Thanks very much for that! I have saved it
> > >
> >> I have been making very different foods lately than I have made
> >> before. I think most of the recipes are Japanese (which you will
> >> know), Chinese or Hawaiian.
> > >
> >> Dsi1 has turned us on to new foods and to my immense surprise, D
> >> just loves them)
> > >
> >> It feels very odd because he was always very conservative in the
> >> foods he liked) I am very happy too because it is lovely to

> learn >> something new)
> >
> > Well, I won't know all the Japanese ones! I wil try though. Japan
> > is a long thin country separated by many islands so something
> > 'common' in Okinawa may be known a bit in Kyushu but not at all as
> > north as Tokyo.
> >
> > I agree, it is fun to try something new. I don't get upset if it
> > didn't fit something we want, but instead laugh and try something
> > else.
> >
> > You will probably find this amusing, but Shepards Pie is very alien
> > to me. I've an interest but never seen one in real life. I have a
> > feeling that I am trying to make it fancier and getting it wrong due
> > to that.
> >
> > I think if my Mom had tried it, it's one she would have made. It has
> > the simplicity of basic ingredients with minimal spicing (she only
> > had 3: salt, pepper, cinnimon which was mixed with sugar and used on
> > buttered toast).
> >
> > Of course like most kids, I rebeled a bit and am a spice hound as a
> > result, but I like to think I came back to a more even keel with the
> > simple foods of Kyshu that shine the best of a fresh ingredient with
> > nothing to obscure it. So, I am a mix-n-match cook. Sometimes plain
> > as can be, and sometimes quite spicy.
> >
> > I am thinking 'fish ball' (will take a bit later to explain) may
> > suit you well to try out. It can be made many ways but if you do
> > not mind my best guess, you'd like it steamed.
> >
> > ====
> >
> > But if I were to steam it, how would the rice ball stick together?
> >
> > As for Shepherd's pie, why not give it a try? Do you like mashed
> > potato? Do you like minced beef? Do you like veg? Do you like
> > gravy?
> >
> > )

> Grin, it's not rice ball, but wheat ball made steamed ovr rice. The
> fishball is fish and wheat dough.
>
> ==
>
> Oh! It looks like rice1

Not sure what you googled but here are a variety of fishball views.
Definately not riceballs though they may be served with rice as well as
the wheat based fishballs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_ball

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 10:37:47 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > Incidentally, I realised that musubi is that thing with the spam
> > and rice I
> > make. What do you call that sauce that I use with the Red Chicken?

> I've never tried mixing barbecue sauce and shoyu together. I don't
> know why people here don't do that though.
>
> ==
>
> Actually i was referring to the sauce I made with the Red Chicken.
> 1 cup light soy sauce
> 1 cup dark soy sauce
> 1/2 cup Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
> 1/2 cup brown sugar or 1/3 cup Chinese rock sugar
> 4 cups water
> Dried mushrooms
> Onions
> leeks
>
> That is D's absolute favourite.
>
> What would you call that?

Loo sauce.

==

LOL you know what we call the 'loo' in UK??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> [...]

> > as can be, and sometimes quite spicy.
> >
> > I am thinking 'fish ball' (will take a bit later to explain) may
> > suit you well to try out. It can be made many ways but if you do
> > not mind my best guess, you'd like it steamed.
> >
> > ====
> >
> > But if I were to steam it, how would the rice ball stick together?
> >
> > As for Shepherd's pie, why not give it a try? Do you like mashed
> > potato? Do you like minced beef? Do you like veg? Do you like
> > gravy?
> >
> > )

> Grin, it's not rice ball, but wheat ball made steamed ovr rice. The
> fishball is fish and wheat dough.
>
> ==
>
> Oh! It looks like rice1

Not sure what you googled but here are a variety of fishball views.
Definately not riceballs though they may be served with rice as well as

No, not that. I can't remember what they are called. Dsi1 could tell you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote:
>
> Ophelia wrote:
> > What would you call that?

> Loo sauce.
>
> ==
>
> LOL you know what we call the 'loo' in UK??

Funny! :-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 10:37:47 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > >
> >> Incidentally, I realised that musubi is that thing with the spam
> >> and rice I
> >> make. What do you call that sauce that I use with the Red Chicken?

> > I've never tried mixing barbecue sauce and shoyu together. I don't
> > know why people here don't do that though.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Actually i was referring to the sauce I made with the Red Chicken.
> > 1 cup light soy sauce
> > 1 cup dark soy sauce
> > 1/2 cup Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
> > 1/2 cup brown sugar or 1/3 cup Chinese rock sugar
> > 4 cups water
> > Dried mushrooms
> > Onions
> > leeks
> >
> > That is D's absolute favourite.
> >
> > What would you call that?

> Loo sauce.
>
> ==
>
> LOL you know what we call the 'loo' in UK??

LOL, yes but that is what the sauce is called. There are many
variations, and many use worstershire in addition now but it's ancient
chinese (pretty sure).

It's a 'boiling sauce' and can also be used in 'loo'd beef' (American
accent makes that one pretty funny). It actually is reused with
refridgeration between. It gets defatted between uses (fridge chill,
lift off).

It's extremely inexpensive to do that if reused and not a health hazard
at all if fridged then defatted bwtween uses.

It's not that I am too cheap to make a new batch, it's that I worry
about waste so fridge it and lift any far off then reuse it. I note
the flavor gets better after a few uses.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Sat 28 Apr 2018 01:05:11a, Ophelia told us...
>

> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Ophelia wrote:
> >

> >> "dsi1" wrote in message

> >> I've never tried mixing barbecue sauce and shoyu together. I
> >> don't know why people here don't do that though.
> > >
> >> ==
> > >
> >> Actually i was referring to the sauce I made with the Red
> >> Chicken. 1 cup light soy sauce
> >> 1 cup dark soy sauce
> >> 1/2 cup Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
> >> 1/2 cup brown sugar or 1/3 cup Chinese rock sugar
> >> 4 cups water
> >> Dried mushrooms
> >> Onions
> >> leeks
> > >
> >> That is D's absolute favourite.
> > >
> >> What would you call that?

> > Loo sauce.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > LOL you know what we call the 'loo' in UK??
> >

> Let's hope it doesn't smell or taste like that. :-)))

LOL, no it doesn't. Jeff Smith's Frugal Gourmet cooks 3 ancient
cuisines has it on page 203. Looing Sauce. It's almost indentical to
your post.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 12:28:48 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> lol thanks) So, is it actually some kind of Spam?

Here's a whole bunch of kinds of Spam. It's happening today in Waikiki. I'm not going because I stay out of Waikiki. There's no Spam pie. Too bad.

https://www.frolichawaii.com/stories...-spam-jam-2018

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 7:46:31 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Thanks, I have saved it and will have a look
> later. I will get back to you on it)

Here's a story about your sauce. I don't buy it myself. Sounds like a story the Chinese tell the gwai lo.

"The Story: I read that in China you cooked in a sauce, using it again and again for different meats, until it was your personal ambrosia. Then, in your final hours, you passed it on to your kin. The sauce never died, it went on for decades, and it was always becoming something more - at least that was the story.

The story was true. Master sauce, under different names, changes from one part of China to another, but all share a quintet of soy sauce, rice wine, ginger, star anise and sugar. In the traditional Canton-style sauce of Chinese author Eileen Yin-Fei Los, the quintet joins up with a caravan of spices including a nutmeg-like Chinese seasoning, licorice root and Sichuan peppercorns along with a big piece of pork shoulder for extra richness."

https://www.splendidtable.org/recipe...e-master-sauce
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Ophelia wrote:

> used >>> to make Dashi in place of Kombu when you have access only
> to Nori >>> (common in the USA).

> >learn >> something new)
> > >
> >> Well, I won't know all the Japanese ones! I wil try though. Japan
> >> is a long thin country separated by many islands so something
> >> 'common' in Okinawa may be known a bit in Kyushu but not at all as
> >> north as Tokyo.
> > >
> >> I agree, it is fun to try something new. I don't get upset if it
> >> didn't fit something we want, but instead laugh and try something
> >> else.
> > >
> >> You will probably find this amusing, but Shepards Pie is very alien
> >> to me. I've an interest but never seen one in real life. I have a
> >> feeling that I am trying to make it fancier and getting it wrong

> due >> to that.
> > >
> >> I think if my Mom had tried it, it's one she would have made. It

> has >> the simplicity of basic ingredients with minimal spicing (she
> only >> had 3: salt, pepper, cinnimon which was mixed with sugar and
> used on >> buttered toast).
> > >
> >> Of course like most kids, I rebeled a bit and am a spice hound as a
> >> result, but I like to think I came back to a more even keel with

> the >> simple foods of Kyshu that shine the best of a fresh
> ingredient with >> nothing to obscure it. So, I am a mix-n-match
> cook. Sometimes plain >> as can be, and sometimes quite spicy.
> > >
> >> I am thinking 'fish ball' (will take a bit later to explain) may
> >> suit you well to try out. It can be made many ways but if you do
> >> not mind my best guess, you'd like it steamed.
> > >
> >> ====
> > >
> >> But if I were to steam it, how would the rice ball stick together?
> > >
> >> As for Shepherd's pie, why not give it a try? Do you like mashed
> >> potato? Do you like minced beef? Do you like veg? Do you like
> >> gravy?
> > >
> >> )

> > Grin, it's not rice ball, but wheat ball made steamed ovr rice.
> > The fishball is fish and wheat dough.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Oh! It looks like rice1

> Not sure what you googled but here are a variety of fishball views.
> Definately not riceballs though they may be served with rice as well
> as the wheat based fishballs.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fish_ball
>
> ==
>
> No, not that. I can't remember what they are called. Dsi1 could
> tell you.

Ok! We may be mixing things then. (I am trying to unblock DS1 but no
luck yet so please quote him if replying, hos is an accidental block).

There are 'rice balls' and 'fish balls'.

Rice balls are generally rice formed about a core of something with
seasoning mixed in. They may just have dried seasoning like plum or
fruit if rice ball. Rice balls tend to be sweet or savory but meat
(seafood = meat there) free.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 7:46:31 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Thanks, I have saved it and will have a look
> later. I will get back to you on it)

Here's a story about your sauce. I don't buy it myself. Sounds like a story
the Chinese tell the gwai lo.

"The Story: I read that in China you cooked in a sauce, using it again and
again for different meats, until it was your personal ambrosia. Then, in
your final hours, you passed it on to your kin. The sauce never died, it
went on for decades, and it was always becoming something more - at least
that was the story.

The story was true. Master sauce, under different names, changes from one
part of China to another, but all share a quintet of soy sauce, rice wine,
ginger, star anise and sugar. In the traditional Canton-style sauce of
Chinese author Eileen Yin-Fei Los, the quintet joins up with a caravan of
spices including a nutmeg-like Chinese seasoning, licorice root and Sichuan
peppercorns along with a big piece of pork shoulder for extra richness."

https://www.splendidtable.org/recipe...e-master-sauce

==

Hmmm should I write it up in my will? )))) That is a bit different to
mine though

I freeze mine after cooking the chicken in it and serve a little with the
chicken. The rest I freeze. When I want to use it again, I always add
more shoyu, sugar and chopped leek and onion. It comes out great)

Did I tell you I don't do a whole chicken any more? Just a bunch of chicken
thighs They come out great and I don't need to worry about having to keep
turning it

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 10:37:47 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > >
> >> Incidentally, I realised that musubi is that thing with the spam
> >> and rice I
> >> make. What do you call that sauce that I use with the Red Chicken?

> > I've never tried mixing barbecue sauce and shoyu together. I don't
> > know why people here don't do that though.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Actually i was referring to the sauce I made with the Red Chicken.
> > 1 cup light soy sauce
> > 1 cup dark soy sauce
> > 1/2 cup Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
> > 1/2 cup brown sugar or 1/3 cup Chinese rock sugar
> > 4 cups water
> > Dried mushrooms
> > Onions
> > leeks
> >
> > That is D's absolute favourite.
> >
> > What would you call that?

> Loo sauce.
>
> ==
>
> LOL you know what we call the 'loo' in UK??

LOL, yes but that is what the sauce is called. There are many
variations, and many use worstershire in addition now but it's ancient
chinese (pretty sure).

It's a 'boiling sauce' and can also be used in 'loo'd beef' (American
accent makes that one pretty funny). It actually is reused with
refridgeration between. It gets defatted between uses (fridge chill,
lift off).

It's extremely inexpensive to do that if reused and not a health hazard
at all if fridged then defatted bwtween uses.

It's not that I am too cheap to make a new batch, it's that I worry
about waste so fridge it and lift any far off then reuse it. I note
the flavor gets better after a few uses.

==

Yes, I think so too)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 12:28:48 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> lol thanks) So, is it actually some kind of Spam?

Here's a whole bunch of kinds of Spam. It's happening today in Waikiki. I'm
not going because I stay out of Waikiki. There's no Spam pie. Too bad.

https://www.frolichawaii.com/stories...-spam-jam-2018

==

My goodness! That is a LOT of spam recipes))

Why don't you go to Waikiki?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 12:28:48 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> lol thanks) So, is it actually some kind of Spam?

> Here's a whole bunch of kinds of Spam. It's happening today in Waikiki.
> I'm
> not going because I stay out of Waikiki. There's no Spam pie. Too bad.
>
> https://www.frolichawaii.com/stories...-spam-jam-2018
>
> ==
>
> My goodness! That is a LOT of spam recipes))
>
> Why don't you go to Waikiki?

I'd like all of them, not at once though.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 12:28:48 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> lol thanks) So, is it actually some kind of Spam?

> Here's a whole bunch of kinds of Spam. It's happening today in Waikiki.
> I'm
> not going because I stay out of Waikiki. There's no Spam pie. Too bad.
>
> https://www.frolichawaii.com/stories...-spam-jam-2018
>
> ==
>
> My goodness! That is a LOT of spam recipes))
>
> Why don't you go to Waikiki?

I'd like all of them, not at once though.

Cheri

==

LOL good point)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Friday, April 27, 2018 at 12:28:48 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > lol thanks) So, is it actually some kind of Spam?

> Here's a whole bunch of kinds of Spam. It's happening today in
> Waikiki. I'm not going because I stay out of Waikiki. There's no Spam
> pie. Too bad.

https://www.frolichawaii.com/stories...-spam-jam-2018

> ==
>
> My goodness! That is a LOT of spam recipes))
>
> Why don't you go to Waikiki?

Most don't go there often. Its all about tourist but it can be fun if
you limit it to once a year.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 8:01:22 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> My goodness! That is a LOT of spam recipes))
>
> Why don't you go to Waikiki?

Them tourists give me the creeps! Even my home town has turned into a tourist town. I do not like that.

https://www.coastalliving.com/travel...lua-beach-oahu
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 8:01:22 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> My goodness! That is a LOT of spam recipes))
>
> Why don't you go to Waikiki?

Them tourists give me the creeps! Even my home town has turned into a
tourist town. I do not like that.

https://www.coastalliving.com/travel...lua-beach-oahu

==

Yes I can understand that What a shame, that is a beautiful place.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 9:00:14 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> Yes I can understand that What a shame, that is a beautiful place.

I really don't care much about it. I don't live there anymore. My guess is that our little town could be next. The only only question I got is how am I going to get my paws on some of that tourist money?

I made some tomato, sausage, and cheese, hand pies. I also made a pizza with tomato, cheese, and pepperoni. I was thinking about how the box pizza kit over 50 years ago was the start of it all. Thanks Chef Boyardee!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...ipLj3zEIjj31k4
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 9:00:14 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> Yes I can understand that What a shame, that is a beautiful place.

I really don't care much about it. I don't live there anymore. My guess is
that our little town could be next. The only only question I got is how am I
going to get my paws on some of that tourist money?

I made some tomato, sausage, and cheese, hand pies. I also made a pizza with
tomato, cheese, and pepperoni. I was thinking about how the box pizza kit
over 50 years ago was the start of it all. Thanks Chef Boyardee!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...ipLj3zEIjj31k4

==

Yumm that looks great) Were you thinking of making some to sell to the
tourists? ;-)

btw I have never seen a 'box pizza kit'!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 15:32:45 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"dsi1" wrote in message
>
>On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 9:00:14 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> ==
>>
>> Yes I can understand that What a shame, that is a beautiful place.

>I really don't care much about it. I don't live there anymore. My guess is
>that our little town could be next. The only only question I got is how am I
>going to get my paws on some of that tourist money?
>
>I made some tomato, sausage, and cheese, hand pies. I also made a pizza with
>tomato, cheese, and pepperoni. I was thinking about how the box pizza kit
>over 50 years ago was the start of it all. Thanks Chef Boyardee!
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...ipLj3zEIjj31k4
>
>==
>
>Yumm that looks great) Were you thinking of making some to sell to the
>tourists? ;-)
>
>btw I have never seen a 'box pizza kit'!

I had to Google it to see if it was still made. It is. It is a small
unassuming box, probably on the top shelf. Not anything like the size
of a pizza.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"dsi1" wrote in message
>
>On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 9:00:14 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> ==
>>
>> Yes I can understand that What a shame, that is a beautiful place.

>I really don't care much about it. I don't live there anymore. My guess is
>that our little town could be next. The only only question I got is how am
>going to get my paws on some of that tourist money?
>
>I made some tomato, sausage, and cheese, hand pies. I also made a pizza
>with
>tomato, cheese, and pepperoni. I was thinking about how the box pizza kit
>over 50 years ago was the start of it all. Thanks Chef Boyardee!
>
>https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...ipLj3zEIjj31k4
>
>==
>
>Yumm that looks great) Were you thinking of making some to sell to the
>tourists? ;-)
>
>btw I have never seen a 'box pizza kit'!

I had to Google it to see if it was still made. It is. It is a small
unassuming box, probably on the top shelf. Not anything like the size
of a pizza.

==

Ok I just Googled it too. I am not really much wiser

So, do they provide the base and the topping?

I have to say, I don't fancy it much)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 16:44:07 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 15:32:45 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>>On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 9:00:14 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Yes I can understand that What a shame, that is a beautiful place.

>>I really don't care much about it. I don't live there anymore. My guess is
>>that our little town could be next. The only only question I got is how am
>>going to get my paws on some of that tourist money?
>>
>>I made some tomato, sausage, and cheese, hand pies. I also made a pizza
>>with
>>tomato, cheese, and pepperoni. I was thinking about how the box pizza kit
>>over 50 years ago was the start of it all. Thanks Chef Boyardee!
>>
>>https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...ipLj3zEIjj31k4
>>
>>==
>>
>>Yumm that looks great) Were you thinking of making some to sell to the
>>tourists? ;-)
>>
>>btw I have never seen a 'box pizza kit'!

>I had to Google it to see if it was still made. It is. It is a small
>unassuming box, probably on the top shelf. Not anything like the size
>of a pizza.
>
>==
>
>Ok I just Googled it too. I am not really much wiser
>
>So, do they provide the base and the topping?
>
>I have to say, I don't fancy it much)

there's a mix to make the crust with addition of water. There's a can
of sauce and a package of cheese to sprinkle on top. Anything else is
up to you. I know my mother brought it home once.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 15:32:45 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>>On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 9:00:14 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Yes I can understand that What a shame, that is a beautiful place.

>>I really don't care much about it. I don't live there anymore. My guess is
>>that our little town could be next. The only only question I got is how am
>>going to get my paws on some of that tourist money?
>>
>>I made some tomato, sausage, and cheese, hand pies. I also made a pizza
>>with
>>tomato, cheese, and pepperoni. I was thinking about how the box pizza kit
>>over 50 years ago was the start of it all. Thanks Chef Boyardee!
>>
>>https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...ipLj3zEIjj31k4
>>
>>==
>>
>>Yumm that looks great) Were you thinking of making some to sell to the
>>tourists? ;-)
>>
>>btw I have never seen a 'box pizza kit'!

>I had to Google it to see if it was still made. It is. It is a small
>unassuming box, probably on the top shelf. Not anything like the size
>of a pizza.
>
>==
>
>Ok I just Googled it too. I am not really much wiser
>
>So, do they provide the base and the topping?
>
>I have to say, I don't fancy it much)

there's a mix to make the crust with addition of water. There's a can
of sauce and a package of cheese to sprinkle on top. Anything else is
up to you. I know my mother brought it home once.
Janet US

==

Thanks. How did it taste?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 16:44:07 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

> > "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
> >
> > On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 15:32:45 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:

> place.
> > >
> > > I really don't care much about it. I don't live there anymore. My
> > > guess is that our little town could be next. The only only
> > > question I got is how am I
> > > going to get my paws on some of that tourist money?
> > >
> > > I made some tomato, sausage, and cheese, hand pies. I also made a
> > > pizza with
> > > tomato, cheese, and pepperoni. I was thinking about how the box
> > > pizza kit over 50 years ago was the start of it all. Thanks Chef
> > > Boyardee!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...ipLj3zEIjj31k4

> > > ==
> > >
> > > Yumm that looks great) Were you thinking of making some to
> > > sell to the tourists? ;-)
> > >
> > > btw I have never seen a 'box pizza kit'!

> > I had to Google it to see if it was still made. It is. It is a
> > small unassuming box, probably on the top shelf. Not anything like
> > the size of a pizza.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Ok I just Googled it too. I am not really much wiser
> >
> > So, do they provide the base and the topping?
> >
> > I have to say, I don't fancy it much)
> >

> there's a mix to make the crust with addition of water. There's a can
> of sauce and a package of cheese to sprinkle on top. Anything else is
> up to you. I know my mother brought it home once.
> Janet US

I think my Mom got it once too but it was too complicated (grin).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 18:09:06 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 16:44:07 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
. ..

>>On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 15:32:45 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:

>>>I really don't care much about it. I don't live there anymore. My guess is
>>>that our little town could be next. The only only question I got is how am
>>>going to get my paws on some of that tourist money?
>>>
>>>I made some tomato, sausage, and cheese, hand pies. I also made a pizza
>>>with
>>>tomato, cheese, and pepperoni. I was thinking about how the box pizza kit
>>>over 50 years ago was the start of it all. Thanks Chef Boyardee!
>>>
>>>https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...ipLj3zEIjj31k4
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>Yumm that looks great) Were you thinking of making some to sell to the
>>>tourists? ;-)
>>>
>>>btw I have never seen a 'box pizza kit'!

>>I had to Google it to see if it was still made. It is. It is a small
>>unassuming box, probably on the top shelf. Not anything like the size
>>of a pizza.
>>
>>==
>>
>>Ok I just Googled it too. I am not really much wiser
>>
>>So, do they provide the base and the topping?
>>
>>I have to say, I don't fancy it much)
>>

>there's a mix to make the crust with addition of water. There's a can
>of sauce and a package of cheese to sprinkle on top. Anything else is
>up to you. I know my mother brought it home once.
>Janet US
>
>==
>
>Thanks. How did it taste?

all right I guess. We didn't know anything about pizza back then. No
Italians around. It was pretty dull as I recall.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 16:44:07 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>

>>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
. ..

>>On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 15:32:45 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:

>>>I really don't care much about it. I don't live there anymore. My guess
>>>is
>>>that our little town could be next. The only only question I got is how
>>>am
>>>going to get my paws on some of that tourist money?
>>>
>>>I made some tomato, sausage, and cheese, hand pies. I also made a pizza
>>>with
>>>tomato, cheese, and pepperoni. I was thinking about how the box pizza kit
>>>over 50 years ago was the start of it all. Thanks Chef Boyardee!
>>>
>>>https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...ipLj3zEIjj31k4
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>Yumm that looks great) Were you thinking of making some to sell to the
>>>tourists? ;-)
>>>
>>>btw I have never seen a 'box pizza kit'!

>>I had to Google it to see if it was still made. It is. It is a small
>>unassuming box, probably on the top shelf. Not anything like the size
>>of a pizza.
>>
>>==
>>
>>Ok I just Googled it too. I am not really much wiser
>>
>>So, do they provide the base and the topping?
>>
>>I have to say, I don't fancy it much)
>>

>there's a mix to make the crust with addition of water. There's a can
>of sauce and a package of cheese to sprinkle on top. Anything else is
>up to you. I know my mother brought it home once.
>Janet US
>
>==
>
>Thanks. How did it taste?

all right I guess. We didn't know anything about pizza back then. No
Italians around. It was pretty dull as I recall.
Janet US

==

I bet when you taste your own ... )))

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>
> On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 18:09:06 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

> > "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
> >
> > On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 16:44:07 +0100, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:
> >

> > > "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
> > >
> > > On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 15:32:45 +0100, "Ophelia"

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...ipLj3zEIjj31k4

> > > I had to Google it to see if it was still made. It is. It is a
> > > small unassuming box, probably on the top shelf. Not anything
> > > like the size of a pizza.
> > >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > Ok I just Googled it too. I am not really much wiser
> > >
> > > So, do they provide the base and the topping?
> > >
> > > I have to say, I don't fancy it much)
> > >

> > there's a mix to make the crust with addition of water. There's a
> > can of sauce and a package of cheese to sprinkle on top. Anything
> > else is up to you. I know my mother brought it home once.
> > Janet US
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Thanks. How did it taste?
> >

> all right I guess. We didn't know anything about pizza back then. No
> Italians around. It was pretty dull as I recall.
> Janet US
>
> ==
>
> I bet when you taste your own ... )))

Funny thing is I am making pizza dough right now.

I wanted to leave some for the family for when I'm in Millington all
next week. Making them 2 balls they can defrost and use. One is with
hard grated cheeses added and the other is with itailain seasonings and
a fair amount of black pepper.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 4:32:51 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> Yumm that looks great) Were you thinking of making some to sell to the
> tourists? ;-)
>
> btw I have never seen a 'box pizza kit'!

Yes, I'm thinking of a pastie filled with kalua pig and poi. Yum!

You can still buy box pizza kit in the stores in the US but you'd find it pretty unimpressive. Back in the day, it was a real treat. A small box pizza could feed our whole family.

We lived a sheltered monk-like existence although I didn't realize it at the time. I did most of the cooking when I was a kid. I don't remember what the mechanism for meal planning was. My mom bought stuff and I did the cooking. It must have been a big help for a working mom to have her kid do the cooking. I really enjoyed it. These days, I am so ready to pass on the torch..

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...mZfWPrsVmfKfNa
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com

Ah! Got you again! Had to remove that from the spam filter. Sorry my
friend if it took me a bit to find it. Now back to our normal chatting
ok?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 5:44:21 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> Ok I just Googled it too. I am not really much wiser
>
> So, do they provide the base and the topping?
>
> I have to say, I don't fancy it much)

Back in the day, the dough mix had yeast right in it and it came packed in the box in another skinny box. A small can of sauce and a can of cheese-like substance was also included. Tiny cans of cheeze are very cool. You can use it even under combat conditions. Hoo ha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvKZTYP-t6w

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 4:32:51 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > ==
> >
> > Yumm that looks great) Were you thinking of making some to sell
> > to the tourists? ;-)
> >
> > btw I have never seen a 'box pizza kit'!

> Yes, I'm thinking of a pastie filled with kalua pig and poi. Yum!
>
> You can still buy box pizza kit in the stores in the US but you'd
> find it pretty unimpressive. Back in the day, it was a real treat. A
> small box pizza could feed our whole family.
>
> We lived a sheltered monk-like existence although I didn't realize it
> at the time. I did most of the cooking when I was a kid. I don't
> remember what the mechanism for meal planning was. My mom bought
> stuff and I did the cooking. It must have been a big help for a
> working mom to have her kid do the cooking. I really enjoyed it.
> These days, I am so ready to pass on the torch.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...mZfWPrsVmfKfNa

Ohh! We called that 'finger pizza' when I was a kid. No real reason
for the name that I recall. That was in Miami Florida.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Apr 2018 15:54:07 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>dsi1 wrote:
>
>> glegroupsg2000goo.googlegroups.com

>Ah! Got you again! Had to remove that from the spam filter. Sorry my
>friend if it took me a bit to find it. Now back to our normal chatting
>ok?

lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 4:32:51 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> Yumm that looks great) Were you thinking of making some to sell to the
> tourists? ;-)
>
> btw I have never seen a 'box pizza kit'!

Yes, I'm thinking of a pastie filled with kalua pig and poi. Yum!

You can still buy box pizza kit in the stores in the US but you'd find it
pretty unimpressive. Back in the day, it was a real treat. A small box pizza
could feed our whole family.

We lived a sheltered monk-like existence although I didn't realize it at the
time. I did most of the cooking when I was a kid. I don't remember what the
mechanism for meal planning was. My mom bought stuff and I did the cooking.
It must have been a big help for a working mom to have her kid do the
cooking. I really enjoyed it. These days, I am so ready to pass on the
torch.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...mZfWPrsVmfKfNa

==

Your family were very lucky) The first time I saw a pizza was when we
were living in Malta and an Italian friend took us to a Pizzeria

I thought I was in heaven) I soon learned to make them myself after
that)

That pic looks jolly good)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 5:44:21 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> ==
>
> Ok I just Googled it too. I am not really much wiser
>
> So, do they provide the base and the topping?
>
> I have to say, I don't fancy it much)

Back in the day, the dough mix had yeast right in it and it came packed in
the box in another skinny box. A small can of sauce and a can of cheese-like
substance was also included. Tiny cans of cheeze are very cool. You can use
it even under combat conditions. Hoo ha!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvKZTYP-t6w

==

D says he never saw anything like that when he was serving Hmmm he thinks
I should stick to the ones I make lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 30, 2018 at 12:35:42 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> D says he never saw anything like that when he was serving Hmmm he thinks
> I should stick to the ones I make lol

Once a person has reached the age of 16, they probably should stay away from this product. It's like Easy Bake Oven cooking for older kids. You get to make stuff that looks sort of like real food - but isn't.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, April 30, 2018 at 12:35:42 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> D says he never saw anything like that when he was serving Hmmm he
> thinks
> I should stick to the ones I make lol

Once a person has reached the age of 16, they probably should stay away from
this product. It's like Easy Bake Oven cooking for older kids. You get to
make stuff that looks sort of like real food - but isn't.

==

I can't say I ever lived through that. Probably too old)