Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Desserts - a tip on sugar use

lenona321 wrote:

>> > Raw?
>> >

>> You just proved to me you cannot cook

>I do just fine, thank you, with almost any recipe that doesn't call for a professional's skills.
>
>All I'm saying is, I can't seem to make fried potatoes TENDER, the way they often are in diners,
>as opposed to nothing but crunchy, without boiling them first - or by deep-frying,

Homefries are dead easy, they practically cook themselves. Just go
slooow, no high heat. In fact I have a big panful cooking right now,
gonna be a potato omelet for tonight's dindin.
All tender, no crispness:
https://postimg.cc/image/r0hyqec97/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 2:39:28 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> Homefries are dead easy, they practically cook themselves. Just go
> slooow, no high heat. In fact I have a big panful cooking right now,
> gonna be a potato omelet for tonight's dindin.
> All tender, no crispness:
> https://postimg.cc/image/r0hyqec97/

I'll have a serving right now, please.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 1:25:16 PM UTC-4, wrote:

> > > Raw?
> > >

> > You just proved to me you cannot cook

> I do just fine, thank you, with almost any recipe that doesn't call for a professional's skills. The only time I fail is when someone (very rarely) says that something I made is "interesting." (As someone pointed out, that's what Americans say whenever they don't like something, whether it's food or something else.) Otherwise, they tend to praise what I made, whether it's chocolate raspberry truffle ice cream, salmon souffle, fried rice, plum pudding, Turkish rice dishes, devil's-food cake, crepes suzette, etc. Yes, I've made all of those.
>
> All I'm saying is, I can't seem to make fried potatoes TENDER, the way they often are in diners, as opposed to nothing but crunchy, without boiling them first - or by deep-frying, which I don't want to do. Y

Diners commonly use frozen hash browns, which are blanched prior to freezing
(i.e., partially cooked).

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 4:04:58 PM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Diners commonly use frozen hash browns, which are blanched prior to freezing
> (i.e., partially cooked).

I might have known. Thank you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 4:23:33 PM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 4:04:58 PM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>

> > Diners commonly use frozen hash browns, which are blanched prior to freezing
> > (i.e., partially cooked).

> I might have known. Thank you.

Not to mention that when you're using frozen potatoes, that would suggest there's a little more water present than what the potato already had.

Lenona.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 3:04:58 PM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Diners commonly use frozen hash browns, which are blanched prior to freezing
> (i.e., partially cooked).
>
> Cindy Hamilton

When I do hash browns at home I use the cubed frozen ones. I'll removed
what I want to cook to a parchment lined paper plate and nuke them for 3
minutes at 30% power. They're thawed and just barely warm and into the
skillet they go.

The parchment paper ensures they slide right into the skillet. Warmed
on a paper plate results in sticking to the plate, grrrrrr.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lemonade, it is easy to pay-fry or sauté raw potatoes if they are sliced, like for what we call
American fries, or home fries...often along with sliced onions. Brown them first and then put
a cover on the pan and let them cook through at a lower heat.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 22, 2018 at 7:24:30 PM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:

> Lemonade, it is easy to pay-fry or sauté raw potatoes if they are sliced, like for what we call
> American fries, or home fries...often along with sliced onions. Brown them first and then put
> a cover on the pan and let them cook through at a lower heat.
>
> N.

https://s14.postimg.cc/nx042t51d/Thumps_up.gif
Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/603329.Soul_Food
>> Â* (reader reviews)
>>
>> The top half, btw, is custard made with milk, eggs, cornstarch,
>> gelatin, and bourbon - or rum, as you prefer.
>>
>> Ferguson grew up in Philadelphia and in 1967, became a member of the
>> soul music group The Three Degrees. She left in 1986. For about a
>> quarter-century, she lived in England (that explains the tips in the
>> cookbook for English readers) but she moved to the island of Majorca
>> (Spain) in 2008.
>>
>> You can see her singing "When Will I See You Again" here (she's the
>> lead singer):
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6fVDAjs9f0
>>

>> Lenona.
>>

> I don't claim to be any kind of expert on the deep south or soul food
> but I've never heard of Black Bottom Pie.Â* I'm glad you were able to
> adjust the recipe to the sweetness you desired.
>
> Jill

I grew up in northeast Ohio (close to Amish country). I learned about
Black Bottom Pie, Apple Pan Dowdy, and similar items at that time (but
only when we visited Dutch restaurants). I have lived in east Texas for
many years, and I have never heard of those desserts since I moved here.

MaryL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-23 5:36 PM, MaryL wrote:

> I grew up in northeast Ohio (close to Amish country). I learned about
> Black Bottom Pie, Apple Pan Dowdy, and similar items at that time (but
> only when we visited Dutch restaurants).Â* I have lived in east Texas for
> many years, and I have never heard of those desserts since I moved here.

It is interesting how some foods become national and international
standards while others remain local. When we were vacationing on PA we
had shoo fly pie a few times and I loved it. I never see it anywhere
else. I will have to make it myself one of these days.

Buffalo is famous for hot chicken wings and that one has spread across
the continent. They have another wonderful local fish that never seemed
to catch on outside of the Buffalo and western New York area..... Beef
on Wick.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 12:32:58 -0400, Gary > wrote:

wrote:

>>At any rate, there was definitely a problem with another
>>recipe in the same book, but when fixed, it's delicious
>>if one likes limas; I've made it several times.
>>
>> 2 cups dried limas
>> 4 slices bacon or salt pork
>> 1 medium onion
>> 1 green pepper
>> 1 cup canned tomatoes
>> 2 tsps. salt
>> 1 tsp. mustard
>> 2 Tbs. brown sugar
>>
>> "Soak beans overnight. Drain, add 2 quarts of fresh water and boil until
>> tender. Pour beans into buttered casserole. Add minced pepper, onion,
>> tomatoes and seasoning and mix. Put bacon or salt pork on top and bake,
>> covered. Add water if necessary. Bake two hours at 325 F. Uncover for
>> the last 20 minutes."
>>
>> The problem? It should be more like two CUPS of water, not two quarts! Three cups at the most, I say. No need to add water while baking, with three cups.

>That sounds to me like a basic baked bean recipe using limas.
>Once soaking beans overnight. Yes drain them then add 2 quarts of
>water or so and cook them until tender.
>
>Once cooked until tender, you are supposed to pour off
>all of that water too. Not use it. Hello? You were making
>baked lima bean soup.

That sounds like my baby lima bean stewp with smoked ham hocks,
collards, etc.... doesn't get more soul food:
https://postimg.cc/image/9thqqoimz/
https://postimg.cc/image/92p0la63f/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 6:19:54 PM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> On Mon 23 Apr 2018 02:36:25p, MaryL told us...
>
> > I grew up in northeast Ohio (close to Amish country). I learned
> > about Black Bottom Pie, Apple Pan Dowdy, and similar items at that
> > time (but only when we visited Dutch restaurants). I have lived
> > in east Texas for many years, and I have never heard of those
> > desserts since I moved here.
> >
> > MaryL

> Shoo Fly Pie would be more Amish. There are a lot of Amish
> communities in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Indiana.

I had shoo fly pie while in Pennsylvania several years ago and was very
unimpressed. I'm sure there are many desserts in the South that people
don't care for, too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 6:19:54 PM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> On Mon 23 Apr 2018 02:36:25p, MaryL told us...
>>
>> > I grew up in northeast Ohio (close to Amish country). I learned
>> > about Black Bottom Pie, Apple Pan Dowdy, and similar items at that
>> > time (but only when we visited Dutch restaurants). I have lived
>> > in east Texas for many years, and I have never heard of those
>> > desserts since I moved here.
>> >
>> > MaryL

>> Shoo Fly Pie would be more Amish. There are a lot of Amish
>> communities in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Indiana.
>>

> I had shoo fly pie while in Pennsylvania several years ago and was very
> unimpressed. I'm sure there are many desserts in the South that people
> don't care for, too.

It's not meant to be eaten, although some people do. It's to be used as bait
to attract the flies and keep them away from your good food!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 1:12:59 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:

> > wrote in message
>
> > I had shoo fly pie while in Pennsylvania several years ago and was very
> > unimpressed. I'm sure there are many desserts in the South that people
> > don't care for, too.

> It's not meant to be eaten, although some people do. It's to be used as bait
> to attract the flies and keep them away from your good food!

I knew you were a ****tard and now I have absolute proof. No wonder
your husband divorced your dumb ass. Congratulations to him!!!

You are undoubtedly the most stupid person who has ever posted here.
A liar and ignorant, what a combination!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 10:17:37 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 1:12:59 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> > wrote in message
>>
>> > I had shoo fly pie while in Pennsylvania several years ago and was very
>> > unimpressed. I'm sure there are many desserts in the South that people
>> > don't care for, too.

>> It's not meant to be eaten, although some people do. It's to be used as bait
>> to attract the flies and keep them away from your good food!
>>

>I knew you were a ****tard and now I have absolute proof. No wonder
>your husband divorced your dumb ass. Congratulations to him!!!
>
>You are undoubtedly the most stupid person who has ever posted here.
>A liar and ignorant, what a combination!

Yes, Christians are clearly better people. No doubt about it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 12:32:24 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> lenona wrote:
> >
> >At any rate, there was definitely a problem with another
> >recipe in the same book, but when fixed, it's delicious
> >if one likes limas; I've made it several times.
> >
> > 2 cups dried limas
> > 4 slices bacon or salt pork
> > 1 medium onion
> > 1 green pepper
> > 1 cup canned tomatoes
> > 2 tsps. salt
> > 1 tsp. mustard
> > 2 Tbs. brown sugar
> >
> > "Soak beans overnight. Drain, add 2 quarts of fresh water and boil until
> > tender. Pour beans into buttered casserole. Add minced pepper, onion,
> > tomatoes and seasoning and mix. Put bacon or salt pork on top and bake,
> > covered. Add water if necessary. Bake two hours at 325 F. Uncover for
> > the last 20 minutes."
> >
> > The problem? It should be more like two CUPS of water, not two quarts! Three cups at the most, I say. No need to add water while baking, with three cups.

> That sounds to me like a basic baked bean recipe using limas.
> Once soaking beans overnight. Yes drain them then add 2 quarts of
> water or so and cook them until tender.
>
> Once cooked until tender, you are supposed to pour off
> all of that water too. Not use it. Hello? You were making
> baked lima bean soup.

What's the point of draining off the HOT water when that would mean having to hover over the oven to see whether or not water had to be added every 15 minutes - for two hours?

What's more, the recipe did NOT say to drain off the hot water.

I tried it again recently and I would say you should use at least 2.5 cups water if you don't want them more than slightly dry.

Lenona.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-24 4:55 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Tue 24 Apr 2018 01:40:26p, Dave Smith told us...
>
>>> You are undoubtedly the most stupid person who has ever posted
>>> here. A liar and ignorant, what a combination!

>> Don't hold back. Tell us what you really think. It is amazing
>> that there are still a few people here who take here seriously.
>>

> I'm surprised that anyone here takes he seriously. Unfortutnately
> she posts ad nauseum and is one of the most annoying people I've ever
> heard of. It's easy enough to block her posts but it's just as bad
> that others here continue to reply or quote her. Her presence is as
> bad as the black plague.

Nothing surprises me around here. I caught a lot of grief when I started
calling her out on her bullshit and exposed her as having a narcissistic
personality disorder, and there are still a few twits here who will harp
about bullying her, but I figure that she enjoys the negative feedback
more than she would like to be ignored.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 3:22:12 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> Yes, Christians are clearly better people. No doubt about it.

Nothing was said about Christians or any sort of religion. Try to stay
on topic and you won't sound so muddled and confused.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 4:08:59 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-04-24 4:55 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
> > I'm surprised that anyone here takes he seriously. Unfortutnately
> > she posts ad nauseum and is one of the most annoying people I've ever
> > heard of. It's easy enough to block her posts but it's just as bad
> > that others here continue to reply or quote her. Her presence is as
> > bad as the black plague.

> Nothing surprises me around here. I caught a lot of grief when I started
> calling her out on her bullshit and exposed her as having a narcissistic
> personality disorder, and there are still a few twits here who will harp
> about bullying her, but I figure that she enjoys the negative feedback
> more than she would like to be ignored.

OhFeelMe rushes to her defense that I'm beginning to wonder if they're
the same person or she's queer for her.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> I knew you were a ****tard and now I have absolute proof. No wonder
>>> your husband divorced your dumb ass. Congratulations to him!!!
>>>
>>> You are undoubtedly the most stupid person who has ever posted here.
>>> A liar and ignorant, what a combination!

>> Don't hold back. Tell us what you really think. It is amazing that
>> there are still a few people here who take here seriously.
>>

> I think I know why he divorced her. He was tired of living with such a
> clueless dumb ass. She's an embarrassment to the human race.

Yet, there a a few members of the sisterhood of stupidity who are
lauding her for getting rid of him. If it really was her who dumped him
I would say he was the one who came out ahead. One of her old
complaints about him was that when he came home he would stop at a
restaurant on the way home to get a meal at a restaurant. At the time
she mentioned that she also posted about how she would buy meat, take it
home and cook it right away and then freeze it. I can't help but to
feel sorry for a guy who would get such bad food at home that he would
have to stop at a restaurant to get something decent.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 17:08:39 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-04-24 4:55 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Tue 24 Apr 2018 01:40:26p, Dave Smith told us...

>>> Don't hold back. Tell us what you really think. It is amazing
>>> that there are still a few people here who take here seriously.
>>>

>> I'm surprised that anyone here takes he seriously. Unfortutnately
>> she posts ad nauseum and is one of the most annoying people I've ever
>> heard of. It's easy enough to block her posts but it's just as bad
>> that others here continue to reply or quote her. Her presence is as
>> bad as the black plague.

>Nothing surprises me around here. I caught a lot of grief when I started
>calling her out on her bullshit and exposed her as having a narcissistic
>personality disorder, and there are still a few twits here who will harp
>about bullying her, but I figure that she enjoys the negative feedback
>more than she would like to be ignored.

Why do you give her negative feedback if you feel that way?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 20:14:51 -0400, Dave Smith

wrote:

>>> Yet, there a a few members of the sisterhood of stupidity

>> That's Sisterhood of Stupidity with capitals, please.

>Sorry, but no. You guys are not worthy of capitals.

Even Donald Trump gets 2 capitals!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 5:30:01 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 14:20:05 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >I think I know why he divorced her. He was tired of living with such a
> >clueless dumb ass. She's an embarrassment to the human race.

> I find posts like this one much more embarrassing.

No one has glued your face to your screen and forcing you to read
them; you're free to ignore me at any time. You might say the
same thing to me about our resident narcissistic resident idiot but
she chose to reply to me with more of her dipshit drivel.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 19:16:05 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 5:30:01 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 14:20:05 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I think I know why he divorced her. He was tired of living with such a
>> >clueless dumb ass. She's an embarrassment to the human race.

>> I find posts like this one much more embarrassing.
>>

>No one has glued your face to your screen and forcing you to read
>them; you're free to ignore me at any time. You might say the
>same thing to me about our resident narcissistic resident idiot but
>she chose to reply to me with more of her dipshit drivel.

I just don't understand who an otherwise sane adult can write posts
like that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-25 2:30 AM, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 19:16:05 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 at 5:30:01 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> On Tue, 24 Apr 2018 14:20:05 -0700 (PDT), "

>>> I find posts like this one much more embarrassing.
>>>

>> No one has glued your face to your screen and forcing you to read
>> them; you're free to ignore me at any time. You might say the
>> same thing to me about our resident narcissistic resident idiot but
>> she chose to reply to me with more of her dipshit drivel.

> I just don't understand who an otherwise sane adult can write posts
> like that.

Where's the evidence that she's sane?:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 7:53:13 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:

> On 2018-04-25 2:30 AM, Bruce wrote:
> > I just don't understand who an otherwise sane adult can write posts
> > like that.
> >

> Where's the evidence that she's sane?:-)

Both of you can either deal with it or ignore me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-24, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> I'm surprised that anyone here takes he seriously. Unfortutnately
> she posts ad nauseum and is one of the most annoying people I've ever
> heard of. It's easy enough to block her posts but it's just as bad
> that others here continue to reply or quote her. Her presence is as
> bad as the black plague.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoofly_pie

nb