Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default inedible meals

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 4:27:52 PM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 6:08:22 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > I didn't know what it was so I Googled it. I came across this copycat
> > recipe. Any use for you?
> >
> > http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/...ing-mix-306717

> Stovetop Stuffing is one of the great American inventions. Now, anybody
> can
> have stuffing in minutes. We don't have to roast a turkey to have
> stuffing.
> It's simply brilliant! I can make stuffing from scratch but I'd rather
> just
> dump a box of stuff into a pan of boiling water. It's instant stuffing. I
> like to make it in the rice cooker.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL4Lck5eZ8s
>
> ---
>
> Good grief, is that THAT good?? lol

No. It isn't. I used to eat it frequently but then I took
a hiatus. Now it tastes of nothing but chemicals.

I much prefer freezing leftover bread stuffing (or making
some just to freeze); it tastes better and is even easier
to prepare on a weeknight.

> Well, it's not something I have seen here We do have packets of
> stuffing
> though. Perhaps I ought to try some
>
> I can't say it's something I've ever wanted to try though. I have always
> made my own.

Keep on doing so.

Cindy Hamilton
==

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote :

> I didn't know what it was so I Googled it. I came across this copycat
> recipe. Any use for you?
>
> http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/...ing-mix-306717

Thanks for that from me too but,
if I make my own, I won't copy that. I make better myself.

Stovetop is just a quick fix side dish when time or desire
to cook is short. Same thing as a quick and easy frozen dinner.
Or a few McDonald's burgers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> I much prefer freezing leftover bread stuffing (or making
> some just to freeze); it tastes better and is even easier
> to prepare on a weeknight.

I agree completely - your way is best.
But that doesn't work in my area.
Bread stuffing is one of my favorites and while I save some,
it doesn't last long enough to freeze. Not a chance.
My freezer has never known leftover bread stuffing.

I'll even use it for sandwiches - fresh white bread, mayo,
stuffing. yum! I almost always enhance the stovetop stuffing to
varying degrees. Always use homemade chicken broth rather than
water. At least some sauteed mushrooms are nice too. Toss in some
onions and some sage. I have a box here and I'm waiting until I
buy some mushrooms. Good mouth feel and they are an excellent
substitute for meat too, imo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 6:04:07 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > I much prefer freezing leftover bread stuffing (or making
> > some just to freeze); it tastes better and is even easier
> > to prepare on a weeknight.

> I agree completely - your way is best.
> But that doesn't work in my area.
> Bread stuffing is one of my favorites and while I save some,
> it doesn't last long enough to freeze. Not a chance.
> My freezer has never known leftover bread stuffing.

Perhaps a bit of self-control would pay off later in available
homemade stuffing.

> I'll even use it for sandwiches - fresh white bread, mayo,
> stuffing. yum! I almost always enhance the stovetop stuffing to
> varying degrees. Always use homemade chicken broth rather than
> water. At least some sauteed mushrooms are nice too. Toss in some
> onions and some sage. I have a box here and I'm waiting until I
> buy some mushrooms. Good mouth feel and they are an excellent
> substitute for meat too, imo.

I think we've established that our eating habits are quite different.
A starch-on-starch sandwich has no appeal for me.

It's odd that you'll take the time to make homemade chicken broth,
and then waste it on Stovetop stuffing, when you could just make
homemade stuffing. Well, your tastebuds aren't mine. I think
Stovetop tastes horrible.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote :

> I didn't know what it was so I Googled it. I came across this copycat
> recipe. Any use for you?
>
> http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/...ing-mix-306717

Thanks for that from me too but,
if I make my own, I won't copy that. I make better myself.

Stovetop is just a quick fix side dish when time or desire
to cook is short. Same thing as a quick and easy frozen dinner.
Or a few McDonald's burgers.

==

So do I, but I was offering a recipe for those who say they like it best if
they couldn't find it.

I Googled it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > https://raincoasttrading.com/
> > He did mention that it costs about twice as much but
> > it might be worth the cost?
> >

> Their site says it's available at Walmart across the USA. Or
> you can order a case (12 cans) for just under $80.

Thanks for that, Joan. I hadn't seen their website when I wrote
that. Old computer and browsers wouldn't work but I did look it
up on my laptop this morning.

Anyway, I was very impressed with the tour of the place and saw
how they packed it, etc. I plan a trip to Walmart within the week
and I'll take a look and probably buy one but maybe just one
time. Sounds very expensive and more than twice as much. I will
try one though if my Walmart has them. If so, I'll send a review
and say what I think.

I certainly won't pull "a Julie" and order a case of something
I've never tried.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

>The wettest spot in the US could be Big Bog on the island of Kauai.
> https://www.wunderground.com/blog/we...iscovered.html

I had never heard of that although there is a Big Bog State park
in Minnesota or so. That one has 500 square miles of peat bog.
whoa.

So I looked up yours. It's in Maui, not Kauai. It's a beautiful
place though and sometimes up to 500" of rain. My shoes got soggy
just looking it up on the computer. heheh Super steep and tall
cliffs! Impressive to see.

Have you ever visited any of your other islands? Just wondering.
Probably no need to as you already live in a good piece of
"Paradise of the Pacific."

http://www.earthplanetravel.com/site...5-original.jpg
Now this pic they say is Kauai, not Maui. I'm all confused. Maybe
they are both the 2 wettest spots on earth or maybe Google people
are confusing islands.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 3:07:25 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:

> I had never heard of that although there is a Big Bog State park
> in Minnesota or so. That one has 500 square miles of peat bog.
> whoa.
>
> So I looked up yours. It's in Maui, not Kauai. It's a beautiful
> place though and sometimes up to 500" of rain. My shoes got soggy
> just looking it up on the computer. heheh Super steep and tall
> cliffs! Impressive to see.
>
> Have you ever visited any of your other islands? Just wondering.
> Probably no need to as you already live in a good piece of
> "Paradise of the Pacific."
>
> http://www.earthplanetravel.com/site...5-original.jpg
> Now this pic they say is Kauai, not Maui. I'm all confused. Maybe
> they are both the 2 wettest spots on earth or maybe Google people
> are confusing islands.

You're right about Big Bog being on Maui. Mount Waialeale is on Kauai - it used to be called the wettest spot in the world but now it seems to be the 2nd wettest spot in the US. Big Bog is now claiming to be the wettest spot in the US. I have never heard of Big Bog and assumed that it was on Kauai. Thanks for the heads up.

I have been to the other islands. We'll be going to Hilo, on the big island of Hawaii in May. Hilo was hit by a couple of big tidal waves back in 1946 and 1960. Downtown Hilo is pretty much the remains of what was left after these events. It is a snapshot of Hawaii back in the late 50's.

We'll probably check out the live volcano there too. It's a snapshot of Hawaii back 700,000 years ago.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 16:57:45 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 11:30:21 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 6:08:22 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> >
>> > I didn't know what it was so I Googled it. I came across this copycat
>> > recipe. Any use for you?
>> >
>> > http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/...ing-mix-306717

>> Stovetop Stuffing is one of the great American inventions. Now, anybody can have stuffing in minutes. We don't have to roast a turkey to have stuffing.
>>

>Why roast a turkey to have dressing?
>>

>It's simply brilliant! I can make stuffing from scratch but I'd rather just dump a box of stuff into a pan of boiling water. It's instant stuffing. I like to make it in the rice cooker.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL4Lck5eZ8s
>>

>Honestly, I don't see how you can stand mushy mess. Smells great but
>gawd, the mouth feel.

Stove Top Stuffing isn't much worse than home made stuffing and it's
very easy to vary the instructions on the box so that STS isn't wet
and gloppy, even homemade will be gloppy when too much liquid is used.
And one can add whatever ingredients (mushrooms, etc.), herbs/spices.
We don't like any stuffing, it's mushy/oily croutons... for many years
now I prepare kasha varnishkas instead... and we have it several times
during the year, not just with Thanksgiving turkey. In fact whenever
I prepare it I make a double or even a triple batch as it freezes very
well, there're several containers in the freezer now, we think it goes
very well with roast beef.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 2:25:39 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 6:26:01 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> >
> > Mine won't be horrible, mushy, goo or some clumpy, pasty, ball, of dough.
> > I'M controlling all the ingredients going into the dish.

> Well you certainly are dedicated to the idea of homemade stuffing. OTOH, I don't make mushy, horrible, cornbread either. It's fairly easy to do if you're not shoveling it into a bird.

I don't stuff birds. For thing there's not enough stuffing for everyone.
Second, I've had it that way and it was no better than dressing made in
a casserole dish. So, as far as I'm concerned that belief that it's
better when made inside the bird because it gets juices from the bird as
it's cooking is a myth to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 8:06:38 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> " wrote:
> >
> > Gary wrote:
> > > https://raincoasttrading.com/
> > > He did mention that it costs about twice as much but
> > > it might be worth the cost?
> > >

> > Their site says it's available at Walmart across the USA. Or
> > you can order a case (12 cans) for just under $80.

> Thanks for that, Joan. I hadn't seen their website when I wrote
> that. Old computer and browsers wouldn't work but I did look it
> up on my laptop this morning.

You're welcome.

> Anyway, I was very impressed with the tour of the place and saw
> how they packed it, etc. I plan a trip to Walmart within the week
> and I'll take a look and probably buy one but maybe just one
> time. Sounds very expensive and more than twice as much. I will
> try one though if my Walmart has them. If so, I'll send a review
> and say what I think.

I'm the same way. Maybe I won't be buying some expensive food item
on a regular basis, but I do like to try things that have been give
5 star rave reviews at least once.

> I certainly won't pull "a Julie" and order a case of something
> I've never tried.

What?!?!? You disappoint me. ;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 17:25:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 1:57:49 PM UTC-10, wrote:

>> > Stovetop Stuffing is one of the great American inventions. Now, anybody can have stuffing in minutes. We don't have to roast a turkey to have stuffing.
>> >

>> Why roast a turkey to have dressing?
>> >

>> It's simply brilliant! I can make stuffing from scratch but I'd rather just dump a box of stuff into a pan of boiling water. It's instant stuffing. I like to make it in the rice cooker.
>> >
>> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL4Lck5eZ8s
>> >

>> Honestly, I don't see how you can stand mushy mess. Smells great but
>> gawd, the mouth feel.

>My guess is that people don't typically have stuffing unless they got something to stuff. Stovetop Stuffing pretty much changed all that. Of course, I don't have any stats on that. If you have any info on that, I'd be obliged to be set straight.

I've never used stuffing/dressing to stuff anything, I've always
prepared it in a casserole dish, as did most people I know... it's
easier but more importantly it's a lot safer, people tend to over
stuff poultry and so the poultry rarely cooks well enough to be
safe... several imbeciles stuff their turkey a day or two prior to
roasting, then every one comes down with the shits,
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 12:45:04 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> Stove Top Stuffing isn't much worse than home made stuffing and it's
> very easy to vary the instructions on the box so that STS isn't wet
> and gloppy, even homemade will be gloppy when too much liquid is used.
> And one can add whatever ingredients (mushrooms, etc.), herbs/spices.
> We don't like any stuffing, it's mushy/oily croutons.

I think that is why I don't care for StoveTop. It's mushy and made with
croutons and/or bread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 7:47:25 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> I don't stuff birds. For thing there's not enough stuffing for everyone.
> Second, I've had it that way and it was no better than dressing made in
> a casserole dish. So, as far as I'm concerned that belief that it's
> better when made inside the bird because it gets juices from the bird as
> it's cooking is a myth to me.

I don't stuff birds either. That just screws up the cooking time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 12:56:22 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 7:47:25 AM UTC-10, wrote:
>
> > I don't stuff birds. For thing there's not enough stuffing for everyone.
> > Second, I've had it that way and it was no better than dressing made in
> > a casserole dish. So, as far as I'm concerned that belief that it's
> > better when made inside the bird because it gets juices from the bird as
> > it's cooking is a myth to me.

> I don't stuff birds either. That just screws up the cooking time.

Yep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 2:00:35 PM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> I will occasionally buy a box of the Cornbread Stovetop Stuffing. I
> always add sautéed onion, celenry, some broken pecans and canned
> chicken broth, dried cranberries, etc. Possibly other additions.
>
> The one step it eliminates is baking the cornbread and let it dry
> overnight. Of course, homemde is always better than boxed.

I don't even let my skillet of cornbread dry overnight. I do let it
cool for an hour or so. But letting it dry overnight is a waste of
time. You'll be adding broth or some sort of liquid to the cornbread
then into the oven it goes. So any 'drying time' is defeated by the
addition of liquid.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 2:25:39 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 6:26:01 PM UTC-10,
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Mine won't be horrible, mushy, goo or some clumpy, pasty, ball, of
>> > dough.
>> > I'M controlling all the ingredients going into the dish.

>> Well you certainly are dedicated to the idea of homemade stuffing. OTOH,
>> I don't make mushy, horrible, cornbread either. It's fairly easy to do if
>> you're not shoveling it into a bird.
>>

> I don't stuff birds. For thing there's not enough stuffing for everyone.
> Second, I've had it that way and it was no better than dressing made in
> a casserole dish. So, as far as I'm concerned that belief that it's
> better when made inside the bird because it gets juices from the bird as
> it's cooking is a myth to me.

I like it both ways, I usually stuff the bird and then make a side pan of
stuffing as well if I am having more people.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> I have been to the other islands. We'll be going to Hilo, on the big island of Hawaii in May. Hilo was hit by a couple of big tidal waves back in 1946 and 1960. Downtown Hilo is pretty much the remains of what was left after these events. It is a snapshot of Hawaii back in the late 50's.
>
> We'll probably check out the live volcano there too. It's a snapshot of Hawaii back 700,000 years ago.

I've seen documentaries about all that..the volcano, the tsunamis
in Hilo. You do live in an amazing place. I think it's the most
isolated place in the world? I learned about your rock(s) many
years ago just with my surfing interest and Hawaii is pretty much
the favorite place to go for surfers. One of the very first
books I ever bought...and I still have it... is Duke Kahanamoku's
"World of Surfing." (C-1968). It's a keeper. He ended up being a
pretty famous guy!

As I've mentioned before...James Michener's "Hawaii" is also a
good book and gives a nice history of it all. Very interesting
reading, imo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> I like it both ways, I usually stuff the bird and then make a side pan of
> stuffing as well if I am having more people.

I do the same thing, Cheri, even if no extra people here.
I always make a huge batch of stuffing, fill the bird, then quite
a bit of leftovers go into a deep dish casserole.

As far as stuffing the bird, I do think it's a bit better cooked
that way.
I love the stuffing so much, I could happily toss the bird and
just eat the stuffing if given a choice between the two. heheh

As I said before, no stuffing has ever seen the inside of my
freezer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 3:25:52 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:

> I've seen documentaries about all that..the volcano, the tsunamis
> in Hilo. You do live in an amazing place. I think it's the most
> isolated place in the world? I learned about your rock(s) many
> years ago just with my surfing interest and Hawaii is pretty much
> the favorite place to go for surfers. One of the very first
> books I ever bought...and I still have it... is Duke Kahanamoku's
> "World of Surfing." (C-1968). It's a keeper. He ended up being a
> pretty famous guy!
>
> As I've mentioned before...James Michener's "Hawaii" is also a
> good book and gives a nice history of it all. Very interesting
> reading, imo.

Mostly the appeal of Hawaii's waves is that it's easily accessible. I think it's likely that the biggest waves in the world are out there but nobody but the locals know about it. Maybe these spots are known only to the local fishes. My brother-in-laws were friends with Jeff Clarke who surfed Mavericks for over a decade before it got the attention of the big wave surfers. Then there's Nazare...

https://www.surfer.com/surfing-magaz...t-nazare-ever/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> That would make a big difference to me. Except for cold boiled
> shrimp or deep fried shrimp, I'm just not fnd of shrimp.:-)

Where I live, shrimping is a huge business (much of the movie 'Forrest
Gump' was filmed in this area - Savannah, GA, Beaufort and Lady's
Island), but shrimp is not my favorite when it comes to seafood. I
never did care for cold boiled shrimp with cocktail dipping sauce.
Butterflied, breaded and fried, yep.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/12/2018 1:53 PM, wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Apr 2018 17:25:32 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> My guess is that people don't typically have stuffing unless they got something to stuff. Stovetop Stuffing pretty much changed all that. Of course, I don't have any stats on that. If you have any info on that, I'd be obliged to be set straight.

> I've never used stuffing/dressing to stuff anything, I've always
> prepared it in a casserole dish, as did most people I know... it's
> easier but more importantly it's a lot safer, people tend to over
> stuff poultry and so the poultry rarely cooks well enough to be
> safe... several imbeciles stuff their turkey a day or two prior to
> roasting, then every one comes down with the shits,

I always cook dressing (aka stuffing) on the side. From what I
understand the "danger" of stuffing a bird is not that the bird won't
cook through. The problem is you can't get all the stuffing out of the
nooks and crannies of the bird. It's a perfect environment for breeding
bacteria inside the cavity, even in the refrigerator.

However, that's not why I cook mine in a casserole dish or glass loaf
pan. I like the top to be a tad browned and have some crunch to it.
Stuffing/dressing cooked inside a bird doesn't offer that option.

As for Stovetop Stuffing, it's not really a time-saver either, unless
you count not having to chop vegetables. IF you add vegetables to your
stuffing/dressing.

I'm sure dsi1 could find packaged dried stuffing crumbs in a
supermarket. That's what's in that box of Stovetop Stuffing. He'd have
to be a good enough cook to figure out what to do next. The basic
instructions are on the bag of stuffing crumbs and pretty much mimic the
ones on a box of Stove Top Stuffing.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 13, 2018 at 12:41:19 PM UTC-10, Jill McQuown wrote:
> I always cook dressing (aka stuffing) on the side. From what I
> understand the "danger" of stuffing a bird is not that the bird won't
> cook through. The problem is you can't get all the stuffing out of the
> nooks and crannies of the bird. It's a perfect environment for breeding
> bacteria inside the cavity, even in the refrigerator.
>
> However, that's not why I cook mine in a casserole dish or glass loaf
> pan. I like the top to be a tad browned and have some crunch to it.
> Stuffing/dressing cooked inside a bird doesn't offer that option.
>
> As for Stovetop Stuffing, it's not really a time-saver either, unless
> you count not having to chop vegetables. IF you add vegetables to your
> stuffing/dressing.
>
> I'm sure dsi1 could find packaged dried stuffing crumbs in a
> supermarket. That's what's in that box of Stovetop Stuffing. He'd have
> to be a good enough cook to figure out what to do next. The basic
> instructions are on the bag of stuffing crumbs and pretty much mimic the
> ones on a box of Stove Top Stuffing.
>
> Jill

I don't know how yoose guys can presume that I don't know how to make stuffing. I have eaten and made stuffing. It's not rocket science. The truth is that the Hawaiians ain't into stuffing. It's not really a part of the local culture. We take foods seriously here but stuffing is not typically a big blip on our radar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 4/9/2018 6:20 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> > That would make a big difference to me. Except for cold boiled
> > shrimp or deep fried shrimp, I'm just not fnd of shrimp.:-)

> Where I live, shrimping is a huge business (much of the movie 'Forrest
> Gump' was filmed in this area - Savannah, GA, Beaufort and Lady's
> Island), but shrimp is not my favorite when it comes to seafood. I
> never did care for cold boiled shrimp with cocktail dipping sauce.
> Butterflied, breaded and fried, yep.

Shrimp might be my favorite seafood. I like all but in order
of favorites -
- shrimp and crab
- clams and oysters
- the rare lobster
- fish is good but still last on my list

As for shrimp, I always do a shrimp boil
That's equal mix of vinegar and water plus plenty
of Old Bay Seasoning and a nip of salt.
You don't need to cover the shrimp with it, just
enough to not boil away. A few times during the very brief
cooking, just open the lid and stir. This way shrimp is cooked
in the water and also steamed for a bit.

Served hot and just as is is what I love. Used to always mix up
some cocktail sauce but then rarely used it so I quit. It does
overpower the shrimp taste and I love it plain.

That's my usual way but I also love fried shrimp, butterflied and
cooked in garlic oil.
For cold leftovers (leftovers are rare here), a good sandwich
is - cold and chopped a bit and put on fresh white bread with
mayo.
Also cold with cocktail sauce but rare here "in my area"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-14 8:20 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>> Where I live, shrimping is a huge business (much of the movie 'Forrest
>> Gump' was filmed in this area - Savannah, GA, Beaufort and Lady's
>> Island), but shrimp is not my favorite when it comes to seafood. I
>> never did care for cold boiled shrimp with cocktail dipping sauce.
>> Butterflied, breaded and fried, yep.

> Shrimp might be my favorite seafood. I like all but in order
> of favorites -
> - shrimp and crab
> - clams and oysters
> - the rare lobster
> - fish is good but still last on my list

I don't know how you can put all fish at the bottom of the list. There
are many different species, all with their own characteristics, and so
many different ways to cook them.

I would also put shrimp at the top of the list. Crab is good but it is
hard to find around here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/13/2018 11:45 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> I don't know how yoose guys can presume that I don't know how to make stuffing. I have eaten and made stuffing. It's not rocket science. The truth is that the Hawaiians ain't into stuffing. It's not really a part of the local culture. We take foods seriously here but stuffing is not typically a big blip on our radar.

Well then, that explains the uncivilized natives.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/14/2018 8:20 AM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> On 4/9/2018 6:20 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> That would make a big difference to me. Except for cold boiled
>>> shrimp or deep fried shrimp, I'm just not fnd of shrimp.:-)

>> Where I live, shrimping is a huge business (much of the movie 'Forrest
>> Gump' was filmed in this area - Savannah, GA, Beaufort and Lady's
>> Island), but shrimp is not my favorite when it comes to seafood. I
>> never did care for cold boiled shrimp with cocktail dipping sauce.
>> Butterflied, breaded and fried, yep.

> Shrimp might be my favorite seafood. I like all but in order
> of favorites -
> - shrimp and crab
> - clams and oysters
> - the rare lobster

I'll take my lobster well done.

> - fish is good but still last on my list

I love all kinds of fish but, perhaps oddly, salmon is my least favorite
except for the canned stuff to make salmon patties.

> As for shrimp, I always do a shrimp boil
> That's equal mix of vinegar and water plus plenty
> of Old Bay Seasoning and a nip of salt.

Old Bay seasoning or the shrimp & crab boil? I've got both. I like the
powdered seasoning mix sprinkled on baked or grilled fish.

> You don't need to cover the shrimp with it, just
> enough to not boil away. A few times during the very brief
> cooking, just open the lid and stir. This way shrimp is cooked
> in the water and also steamed for a bit.
>
> Served hot and just as is is what I love. Used to always mix up
> some cocktail sauce but then rarely used it so I quit. It does
> overpower the shrimp taste and I love it plain.
>
> That's my usual way but I also love fried shrimp, butterflied and
> cooked in garlic oil.
> For cold leftovers (leftovers are rare here), a good sandwich
> is - cold and chopped a bit and put on fresh white bread with
> mayo.
> Also cold with cocktail sauce but rare here "in my area"

Mom always served cold shrimp cocktail as an appetizer on holidays.
When we lived in land-locked states, she'd buy a bag of frozen shrimp.
When they moved down here Dad would net up his own shrimp. He had a
crab trap, too. I remember going out with him to check the trap and
having a mess of boiled blue crab for dinner. Picking the crab meat was
messy work for what little you get, but tasty!

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/14/2018 9:57 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> He had a crab
> trap, too.Â* I remember going out with him to check the trap and having a
> mess of boiled blue crab for dinner.Â* Picking the crab meat was messy
> work for what little you get, but tasty!
>
> Jill

Crabs were a meal, but more important, it was a social gathering. We'd
go catch crabs at the Jersey shore and boil them that afternoon on the
outdoor fireplace. Usually a family gathering and we'd be at the picnic
tables eating them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 14, 2018 at 3:10:29 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski

> Well then, that explains the uncivilized natives.

The missionaries tried to ban poi and get us to eat stuffing instead. Jesus, shoes, and muumus, are fine with us but you go too far with this thing you call "stuffing." Even the name is awful!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, April 11, 2018 at 6:08:22 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > I didn't know what it was so I Googled it. I came across this
> > copycat recipe. Any use for you?

http://www.geniuskitchen.com/recipe/...ing-mix-306717

> Stovetop Stuffing is one of the great American inventions. Now,
> anybody can have stuffing in minutes. We don't have to roast a turkey
> to have stuffing. It's simply brilliant! I can make stuffing from
> scratch but I'd rather just dump a box of stuff into a pan of boiling
> water. It's instant stuffing. I like to make it in the rice cooker.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL4Lck5eZ8s
>
> ---
>
> Good grief, is that THAT good?? lol
>
> Well, it's not something I have seen here We do have packets of
> stuffing though. Perhaps I ought to try some
>
> I can't say it's something I've ever wanted to try though. I have
> always made my own.

LOL! Loved the video!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> > wrote in message
> > On Thursday, April 12, 2018 at 2:25:39 AM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:

> of > dough. >>> I'M controlling all the ingredients going into the
> dish.
> > >
> > > Well you certainly are dedicated to the idea of homemade
> > > stuffing. OTOH, I don't make mushy, horrible, cornbread either.
> > > It's fairly easy to do if you're not shoveling it into a bird.
> > >

> > I don't stuff birds. For thing there's not enough stuffing for
> > everyone. Second, I've had it that way and it was no better than
> > dressing made in a casserole dish. So, as far as I'm concerned
> > that belief that it's better when made inside the bird because it
> > gets juices from the bird as it's cooking is a myth to me.
> >

> I like it both ways, I usually stuff the bird and then make a side
> pan of stuffing as well if I am having more people.
>
> Cheri

Someplace along the way, we stopped stuffing the birds. We do however
stuff large squid all the time! They get baked and it works for us.
For poultry, we bake it along side most of the time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:
>
>> > wrote in message

>> of > dough. >>> I'M controlling all the ingredients going into the
>> dish.

>> > I don't stuff birds. For thing there's not enough stuffing for
>> > everyone. Second, I've had it that way and it was no better than
>> > dressing made in a casserole dish. So, as far as I'm concerned
>> > that belief that it's better when made inside the bird because it
>> > gets juices from the bird as it's cooking is a myth to me.
>> >

>> I like it both ways, I usually stuff the bird and then make a side
>> pan of stuffing as well if I am having more people.
>>
>> Cheri

> Someplace along the way, we stopped stuffing the birds. We do however
> stuff large squid all the time! They get baked and it works for us.
> For poultry, we bake it along side most of the time.

Yes, many people do the side most of the time these days, when I was a kid
everyone stuffed the birds. I think maybe food safety took over.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/14/2018 11:00 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 4/14/2018 9:57 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>
>> He had a crab trap, too.Â* I remember going out with him to check the
>> trap and having a mess of boiled blue crab for dinner.Â* Picking the
>> crab meat was messy work for what little you get, but tasty!
>>
>> Jill

> Crabs were a meal, but more important, it was a social gathering.Â* We'd
> go catch crabs at the Jersey shore and boil them that afternoon on the
> outdoor fireplace.Â* Usually a family gathering and we'd be at the picnic
> tables eating them.

That's a nice memory! Family picnics weren't part of my upbringing.
Nor the Jersey shore. Yet for some reason I own a couple of picnic
baskets. They're in the garage.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-14 12:07 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "cshenk" > wrote in message

>> Someplace along the way, we stopped stuffing the birds.Â* We do however
>> stuff large squid all the time!Â* They get baked and it works for us.
>> For poultry, we bake it along side most of the time.

> Yes, many people doÂ* the side most of the time these days, when I was a
> kid everyone stuffed the birds. I think maybe food safety took over.

I always thought that people started doing stuffing in the side because
there was often not enough inside the bird to feed a large crowd, so
some went into a pan and was done alongside. Then they came out with
stove top stuffing and people started to thing of it as something to be
done that way instead of in the bird. It is not unlike pancake mix or
Bisquick. If people don't have the mix in hand they can't do it.

The food safety issue is mainly the problem with stuffing the bird hours
ahead of time and making a bacteria factory before it goes into the oven.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> On 2018-04-14 12:07 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "cshenk" > wrote in message

>>> Someplace along the way, we stopped stuffing the birds. We do however
>>> stuff large squid all the time! They get baked and it works for us.
>>> For poultry, we bake it along side most of the time.

>> Yes, many people do the side most of the time these days, when I was a
>> kid everyone stuffed the birds. I think maybe food safety took over.

> I always thought that people started doing stuffing in the side because
> there was often not enough inside the bird to feed a large crowd, so some
> went into a pan and was done alongside. Then they came out with stove top
> stuffing and people started to thing of it as something to be done that
> way instead of in the bird. It is not unlike pancake mix or Bisquick. If
> people don't have the mix in hand they can't do it.
>
> The food safety issue is mainly the problem with stuffing the bird hours
> ahead of time and making a bacteria factory before it goes into the oven.

True, but in the old days (my day) people defrosted their turkeys on the
counter overnight or so, people don't do that anymore, at least not anyone I
know, so food safety did become an issue with a lot of things that weren't a
known issue then.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 14, 2018 at 2:02:12 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> I always thought that people started doing stuffing in the side because
> there was often not enough inside the bird to feed a large crowd, so
> some went into a pan and was done alongside.

I've never seen a stuffed bird at anyone's house. The only time I've ever
seen one is on TV, never in the flesh.

> The food safety issue is mainly the problem with stuffing the bird hours
> ahead of time and making a bacteria factory before it goes into the oven.

Or the bird is so packed the stuffing mixture doesn't have a chance to get
thoroughly cooked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, April 14, 2018 at 1:23:21 PM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Look at the physics of it. The heat has to travel from the outside
> through the breast to the center of the stuffing. Good chance the
> breast meat will be dried out in the meantime.

If you cook your bird for 4 or 5 hours, that's plenty of time for the stuffing to get heated up. OTOH, I don't see why stuffing needs to be cooked anyway. By the time you making the stuffing, it's almost fully cooked.

My mom cooked her bird from early morning till noonish. It was quite a shock to find out that I could cook a bird over twenty pounds in an hour and fifty minutes. My mom would have loved how I cook my turkey. Her turkey was a "wee bit dry."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Spmqbs8YCW8

Sandra's Money Saving Meals: One Pot Meals Ubiquitous General Cooking 8 31-08-2009 12:04 AM
OOT meals Chemiker General Cooking 3 26-07-2009 02:03 PM
Some meals modom (palindrome guy)[_2_] General Cooking 0 01-12-2007 10:39 PM
Best meals to eat before you die Nancy Young General Cooking 75 08-02-2006 04:01 AM
Meals in a jar andicee Preserving 4 21-04-2005 03:33 AM