Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default inedible meals

jmcquown wrote:

> Yikes! I can't imagine trying to stretch eggs with tomato paste and
> water but I'll give you the excuse you were 17.

Do you remember the very old sitcom called, "That Girl," starring
Marlo Thomas. In one of the first episodes, she was broke so went
into a restaurant and asked for a coffee cup of hot water. She
got that cheap or maybe even for free. She sat down at a table
and opened a few packs of ketchup and squeezed into the cup, then
she added salt and pepper. Made a cheap cup full of tomato soup.
lol.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 8 Apr 2018 11:15:15 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 4/8/2018 9:51 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
>
>> * My mother had the ability to turn a nice chuck roast into something
>> closely resembling shoe leather . I also learned to cook out of self
>> defense .
>>

>My mother bought pepperoni once to try it. No matter how long she
>boiled it, the sausage did not get soft.

Sabrett has hot sausage that's really an overly thick but slightly
shorter hotdog, not awful but I'd not buy it again. I usually buy
Sabrett's natural casins hotdogs but they were all out so I tried the
Hots.
https://www.instacart.com/bjs/produc...-15-ct-48-0-oz
BJ's usually has the Natural Casing Frankfurters in a 48 oz pack... I
think they're the best hotdog out there, the same ones sold from NYC's
umbrella carts:
https://sabrett.com/works/sabrett-na...furters-12-oz/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

8 Apr 2018 11:15:15 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>On 4/8/2018 9:51 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
>
>> My mother had the ability to turn a nice chuck roast into something
>> closely resembling shoe leather . I also learned to cook out of self
>> defense .

>My mother bought pepperoni once to try it. No matter how long she
>boiled it, the sausage did not get soft.

Like a 14 year old boy! LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-08 12:30 PM, Gary wrote:
> songbird wrote:

> heheh If your goal is to lose weight, you might want to stop
> baking cookies for a start. lol But I know how you feel. Just
> eating less calories each day is a good start. Make your cookies
> but eat 2 instead of 3 each time.

When I was on a strict diet after surgery I was allowed to have a cookie
with dessert. I could still lose weight with one cookie for dessert, but
would gain a little if I had two.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2018 1:43 PM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Yikes! I can't imagine trying to stretch eggs with tomato paste and
>> water but I'll give you the excuse you were 17.

> Do you remember the very old sitcom called, "That Girl," starring
> Marlo Thomas. In one of the first episodes, she was broke so went
> into a restaurant and asked for a coffee cup of hot water. She
> got that cheap or maybe even for free. She sat down at a table
> and opened a few packs of ketchup and squeezed into the cup, then
> she added salt and pepper. Made a cheap cup full of tomato soup.
> lol.

I've heard that tale. I've maybe even seen a few episodes of that show
(Marlo's father was Danny Thomas). Can't say I've ever used a cup of
water and ketchup to try to stretch an egg. Uggg!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 8 Apr 2018 11:40:37 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/8/2018 9:51 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
>> On 4/8/2018 8:36 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>>> Mom could cook some fine meals when she felt like it but she really
>>> did not like to cook.* When convenience meals came along (Banquet
>>> family size portions of things like sliced beef or turkey in gravy)
>>> she was thrilled!* Just make a batch of instant mashed potatoes or
>>> minute rice and open a can of some vegetable and that was dinner.* I
>>> think I learned how to cook in self-defense.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> * My mother had the ability to turn a nice chuck roast into something
>> closely resembling shoe leather . I also learned to cook out of self
>> defense .
>>

>One thing my mother could cook nicely was a chuck roast. Her sister
>told her to cook it on the stovetop in a deep skillet with a lid.
>Tender, delicious every time. She browned then braised it. (She did
>still serve it with instant mashed potatoes. LOL)
>
>I don't ever recall her cooking chuck roast in the oven; I suspect if
>she had it would have turned to leather, too.
>
>Jill

Last week the market in town had a big sale on 20 different cuts of
meat at BOGO.... of course they jacked up the price to $7.49/lb so I
didn't see it as a sale.
The only one looked good to me was the boneless chuck roast (not part
of BOGO), got a 3.5 pounder at $3.99/lb. But I didn't feel like doing
pot roast so I ground it and made burgers... folks keep saying chuck
makes good burgers, well I think they are WRONG, they were too fatty
for us, we much prefer those I make with top round. Boneless chuck
roasts are on sale this week at $3.99/lb, and top round at $3.99/lb...
guess which I will buy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, April 6, 2018 at 4:34:24 AM UTC-10, songbird wrote:
> i consider a person a good cook if they
> rarely make things that can't be eaten.
>
> i consider someone an excellent cook if
> that happens once in a few thousand meals.
>
> since i'm pretty sure of what i don't like
> and don't cook that sort of thing it is very
> very rare that i can't eat what i cook.
>
> i'm not an excellent cook though because i
> don't take on-demand requests and try to
> satisfy someone else.
>
> that pre-amble said: what have you made
> that was horrid?
>
> for me, liver soup, i don't know what i
> was thinking. slabs of liver in a tomato
> based soup. could not be rescued... the
> worms ate that... this was like 30yrs
> ago.
>
> lesson very well learned.
>
> it's a cold and blustery early spring day
> here, tell me stories.
>

> songbird

Here's a couple of fails:

Meatloaf stuffed with ramen:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...ubuWEhyCpmB83R

Spam pie:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...XDpppRjA5JaFu2
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 8 Apr 2018 07:43:40 -0500, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 4/8/2018 12:08 AM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 7 Apr 2018 22:37:57 -0500, Terry Coombs >
>> wrote:

>>> * Have you considered replacing the sugar with honey ? Honey has many
>>> benefits besides being sweet , and local honey can help if you have
>>> pollen allergies . The wife has a spoonful in her tea every morning ,
>>> has cut back a lot on allergy meds . Our honey is very local , the hives
>>> are out in our garden .

>> I'd rather take the meds than get hives.

>Have you paid your dues for this year's membership in the ID 10 T club ?
>I was talking about bee hives , as you well know and tried to spin .

Make up your mind. Either I knew it or I'm an idiot. Not both.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 8 Apr 2018 10:53:49 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 4/7/2018 12:22 PM, Gary wrote:
>> tert in seattle wrote:
>>>
>>> I did something wrong with okra about 25 years ago

>> Oh yeah. I have a funny one about okra. Years ago, I had only had
>> okra once and it was an ingredient in a stew of some kind. Seemed
>> like a nice enough vegetable.
>>
>> So one day, I saw a bag of frozen sliced okra and I bought it.
>> Well, I cooked it by itself and put it on the plate as a
>> vegetable side. At dinner time, I scooped some up with a fork and
>> watched as a slime trail developed from the plate up to my mouth.
>> WTF???
>>

>LOL How could you not know okra is slimey? It's fine in gumbo because
>you pretty much don't notice the slime, what with all the other
>ingredients. The only way I like okra (outside of in gumbo) is
>fried. It needs a nice flour/cornmeal coating.

When okra isn't allowed to grow too large (pick pods at no more than
3") and is eaten fresh picked it's not slimey. Once the pods reach 5"
they turn to wood.
When I grow okra we eat it raw in salads. Okra plants are tall and
attractive with gorgeous yellow flowers... should grow very well in
the Carolinas as it likes a long hot season. Some years the growing
season is too short here so I'm lucky to just get the blossoms. can
eat those too.
Campbells vegetable soup contains okra.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-08 9:56 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 4/8/2018 9:40 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Terry Coombs wrote:
>>> Â* ÂÂ* Have you considered replacing the sugar with honey ? Honey has many
>>> benefits besides being sweet , and local honey can help if you have
>>> pollen allergies . The wife has a spoonful in her tea every morning ,
>>> has cut back a lot on allergy meds . Our honey is very local , the hives
>>> are out in our garden .

>> This interests me. So local honey helps with her allergies, you
>> say. I can see that as her body would be getting used to the
>> local pollen by eating that local honey. But the local honey does
>> not set off her allergies? Or just maybe at first but now she's
>> building a tolerance to it?

> Â*Â*Â* I have no idea what the mechanism is , just that since she started
> using our honey
> Â*in her tea she's taking less allergy medication during the usual times
> - like right now .
>>
>> You say the bee hives are in your garden. Your own hives or are
>> you allowing a local bee keeper to put them there in exchange for
>> honey as rent?Â* Just wondering.
>>
>> Bees get a bad rap for the stinging but I've learned (from life
>> experience) that they are all friendly enough and they only sting
>> when they feel threatened. Even wasps that are a natural enemy of
>> the cute honey bees.

> Â* These are our bees , we got them in June of 2015 . We bought from a
> local breeder that has developed a line of varroa-resistant bees , I use
> no chemicals in my hives .

Don't you use a bit of sulpha drug to keep AFB at bay?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Friday, April 6, 2018 at 4:34:24 AM UTC-10, songbird wrote:
> i consider a person a good cook if they
> rarely make things that can't be eaten.
>
> i consider someone an excellent cook if
> that happens once in a few thousand meals.
>
> since i'm pretty sure of what i don't like
> and don't cook that sort of thing it is very
> very rare that i can't eat what i cook.
>
> i'm not an excellent cook though because i
> don't take on-demand requests and try to
> satisfy someone else.
>
> that pre-amble said: what have you made
> that was horrid?
>
> for me, liver soup, i don't know what i
> was thinking. slabs of liver in a tomato
> based soup. could not be rescued... the
> worms ate that... this was like 30yrs
> ago.
>
> lesson very well learned.
>
> it's a cold and blustery early spring day
> here, tell me stories.
>

> songbird

Here's a couple of fails:

Meatloaf stuffed with ramen:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...ubuWEhyCpmB83R

Spam pie:

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...XDpppRjA5JaFu2

==

How did you make that spam pie? )

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Sonntag, 8. April 2018 20:24:09 UTC+2 schrieb Wayne Boatwright:
> On Sun 08 Apr 2018 09:11:40a, Nancy Young told us...
>
> > On 4/8/2018 11:15 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >
> >> My mother bought pepperoniÂ* once to try it. No matter how long
> >> she boiled it, the sausage did not get soft.

> > That's funny stuff. Now that I think of it, are there sausages
> > that become softer with cooking?
> >
> > Reminds me of the people who returned a gooseneck gourd to the
> > farmer's market because they cooked it forever and it never
> > got soft.
> >
> > nancy

> LOL They should have made a birdhouse out of it. :-)
>
> One sausage that comes to mind is Weisswurst, a white German
> sausage. It's often grilled,

Rarely. Nowadays the Weißwurst for sale is already cooked and only needs
heating up carefully - if you intend to grill it, you should peel
it first.
There's another sausage that's called "G'schwollene" (bloated one) or
"Nackerte" (nude one) which is skinless.

The Brät (veal mostly in former times) was for Bratwurst, but once upon a
time, the innkeeper who planned to serve Bratwurst on Mardi Gras ran out
of the small thin intestines usually used for the small Münchner Bratwurst
(the size reminds of Nürnberger "broadwashed" ;-)) and used larger ones
instead. Too thick to grill them properly, therefore he simmered them in
water. That's how the Weißwurst came into this world.

> but more commonly simmered in water,

Yes.

> sometimes along with white wine.

Not here in Munich where the Weißwurst was invented.

> It's very tender texture when
> simmered. Many fresh uncured or un-smoked sausages can be prepared
> by simmering and are quite tender when served. I've bought a
> variety of sausages from my local German sausage shop that were
> similar, but I can't remember the names of them. (All German
> names.)

Maybe you meant "G'schwollene" all along?

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
songbird wrote:
*about liver soup*

> Someone wrote it down. Songbird found it and tried it. Didn't work out
> so well.

in my defense, i did not find it or look it up in a
book, i just did it. well, ok, maybe that's not really
a defense for much of anything...

> I'm pretty sure most recipes (good or bad) started out with someone just
> trying a little something different. Some of them worked and became
> classics. Others were just plain bad, but they're still out there.

there are some things that tomatoes go well with and
a few are borderline IMO. like shrimp. i can only remember
a few dishes where tomatoes and shrimp were ok for me.
seviche, a chili&tomato sauce and kabobs, the rest i
could do without. i'm borderline on most of the rice
and tomato and spice dishes from the south. they're
just not big on my list of things to eat. if i want
shrimp or sausage i'm not going to ruin it by putting
it in rice or spice it too much with other things.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2018 2:20 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-04-08 9:56 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
>>> This interests me. So local honey helps with her allergies, you
>>> say. I can see that as her body would be getting used to the
>>> local pollen by eating that local honey. But the local honey does
>>> not set off her allergies? Or just maybe at first but now she's
>>> building a tolerance to it?

>> Â*Â*Â*Â* I have no idea what the mechanism is , just that since she
>> started using our honey
>> Â*Â*in her tea she's taking less allergy medication during the usual
>> times - like right now .
>>>
>>> You say the bee hives are in your garden. Your own hives or are
>>> you allowing a local bee keeper to put them there in exchange for
>>> honey as rent?Â* Just wondering.
>>>
>>> Bees get a bad rap for the stinging but I've learned (from life
>>> experience) that they are all friendly enough and they only sting
>>> when they feel threatened. Even wasps that are a natural enemy of
>>> the cute honey bees.

>> Â*Â* These are our bees , we got them in June of 2015 . We bought from
>> a local breeder that has developed a line of varroa-resistant bees ,
>> I use no chemicals in my hives .

> Don't you use a bit of sulpha drug to keep AFB at bay?

Â* Nothing , not a drop or speck of any chemical is introduced into the
hives by me . I have no control over what they may bring in on nectar
and pollen , and neither does any other beekeeper . I'm lucky to be in
an area that has very few honey bees - and AFAIK all the beekeepers near
me have bees from the same breeder . Until I brought them into The
Holler there hadn't been a bee seen here for years . This is good ,
because the best vector for bee diseases is ..... wait for it ..... bees
.. What often happens is a hive will collapse under a disease or parasite
(varroa mites , small hive beetles , wax moths) load . Bees from other
hives will rob out any honey left in the dead hive and carry the
problems home along with the honey . The only hives my bees get to rob
are each other ... but that's a whole other subject .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
> songbird wrote:
>>
>> because i sure have a sweet tooth and would like to get
>> back to 150-155lbs in the next few years. the extra weight
>> is tough to carry when it gets hot outside and i want to
>> do things in the gardens.
>>
>> oh and i'm also trying to get away from eating raw
>> cookie dough. i'm going to be severely tempted today...

> heheh If your goal is to lose weight, you might want to stop
> baking cookies for a start. lol But I know how you feel. Just
> eating less calories each day is a good start. Make your cookies
> but eat 2 instead of 3 each time.

i'm not baking them. Mom was because she was going
out of town next week to visit a friend. got a call
this morning that the trip is cancelled so we have a few
hundred cookies to give away. and as it goes we know
plenty of people who'll take them so that is a problem
already solved. Mom doesn't usually cook small amounts
of anything. there's five pans of cheesy potatoes and
ham waiting for delivery on Monday too along with some
other stuff i'm not looking at...

once gardening season gets going i can eat whatever
i want and still lose weight. winter is a whole
different hill of beans...

songbird

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sanne wrote:
> Maybe you meant "G'schwollene" all along?

making me hungry...

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> Here's a couple of fails:
>
> Meatloaf stuffed with ramen:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...ubuWEhyCpmB83R
>
> Spam pie:
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...XDpppRjA5JaFu2

would try both of those at least once...

i used to really like eating raw ramen noodles
right out of the package.

and spam with a lot of sugar wouldn't be that
far from maple flavored sausage or candied ham.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2018 10:15 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 4/8/2018 9:51 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
>
>> Â*Â* My mother had the ability to turn a nice chuck roast into
>> something closely resembling shoe leather . I also learned to cook
>> out of self defense .
>>

> My mother bought pepperoniÂ* once to try it. No matter how long she
> boiled it, the sausage did not get soft.

Â* Ah , pepperoni ... I love the stuff , so does the wife . I like to
sit down with some pepperoni , saltines , and some sharp cheddar .
Reminds me of my dad , that was often our lunch/snack while out deer
hunting . He bought stick pepperoni , and cut slices with his pocket
knife .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-08 4:18 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 4/8/2018 2:20 PM, graham wrote:
>>>
>>> Â*Â*Â*Â* I have no idea what the mechanism is , just that since she
>>> started using our honey
>>> Â*Â*in her tea she's taking less allergy medication during the usual
>>> times - like right now .

>>> Â*Â* These are our bees , we got them in June of 2015 . We bought from
>>> a local breeder that has developed a line of varroa-resistant bees ,
>>> I use no chemicals in my hives .

>> Don't you use a bit of sulpha drug to keep AFB at bay?

> Â* Nothing , not a drop or speck of any chemical is introduced into the
> hives by me . I have no control over what they may bring in on nectar
> and pollen , and neither does any other beekeeper . I'm lucky to be in
> an area that has very few honey bees - and AFAIK all the beekeepers near
> me have bees from the same breeder . Until I brought them into The
> Holler there hadn't been a bee seen here for years . This is good ,
> because the best vector for bee diseases is ..... wait for it ..... bees
> . What often happens is a hive will collapse under a disease or parasite
> (varroa mites , small hive beetles , wax moths) load . Bees from other
> hives will rob out any honey left in the dead hive and carry the
> problems home along with the honey . The only hives my bees get to rob
> are each other ... but that's a whole other subject .

Do you have to get your hives inspected every year? We had to when we
kept bees and the main reason for the inspection was AFB.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, songbird
> wrote:

> it's a cold and blustery early spring day
> here, tell me stories.

A couple of years ago, I made ham and limas (yum) and then I added
sliced cabbage (yech and ruined the pot). I believe one or more people
here warned me not to do it, but I was prideful.

leo

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/8/2018 7:42 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-04-08 4:18 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

>>> Don't you use a bit of sulpha drug to keep AFB at bay?

>> Â*Â* Nothing , not a drop or speck of any chemical is introduced into
>> the hives by me . I have no control over what they may bring in on
>> nectar and pollen , and neither does any other beekeeper . I'm lucky
>> to be in an area that has very few honey bees - and AFAIK all the
>> beekeepers near me have bees from the same breeder . Until I brought
>> them into The Holler there hadn't been a bee seen here for years .
>> This is good , because the best vector for bee diseases is ..... wait
>> for it ..... bees . What often happens is a hive will collapse under
>> a disease or parasite (varroa mites , small hive beetles , wax moths)
>> load . Bees from other hives will rob out any honey left in the dead
>> hive and carry the problems home along with the honey . The only
>> hives my bees get to rob are each other ... but that's a whole other
>> subject .
>>

> Do you have to get your hives inspected every year? We had to when we
> kept bees and the main reason for the inspection was AFB.

Â* No regular inspections here . I think the only time you have to have
them inspected is when you're going out of state . I think many diseases
and pests can also be traced back to having the hives trucked around for
pollination . Almonds are a biggie , trucks come from all across the USA
to California to pollinate - and share problems - then go either home or
on to another crop to pollinate . We have one or maybe 2 guys that ship
hives out to pollinate , I don't know where they send them . Luckily for
me those guys have bee yards that are way too far away to affect my bees
here .

--
Snag
Ain't no dollar sign on

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 23>, Wayne
Boatwright > wrote:

> Except for my own spicy cocktail sauce, I don't like any form of
> fish or seafood when combined or sauced with anything containing
> tomaties.

Leo's extra secret cold peeled shrimp dipping sauce
Shhhh!

Ingredients:

Gob of mayo
Third of a gob of catsup
Quarter gob of creamed horseradish

Method:

Stir vigorously in a two gob sized bowl until salmon colored

Variation:

More horseradish

Tips:

May be prepared in advance

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote in message
> In article 23>, Wayne
> Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> Except for my own spicy cocktail sauce, I don't like any form of
>> fish or seafood when combined or sauced with anything containing
>> tomaties.

> Leo's extra secret cold peeled shrimp dipping sauce
> Shhhh!
>
> Ingredients:
>
> Gob of mayo
> Third of a gob of catsup
> Quarter gob of creamed horseradish
>
> Method:
>
> Stir vigorously in a two gob sized bowl until salmon colored
>
> Variation:
>
> More horseradish
>
> Tips:
>
> May be prepared in advance
>
> leo

A favorite potluck dish where I used to work was a block of cream cheese
with a can of little shrimp dumped over it and a jar of cocktail sauce
poured over. Serve with Ritz. Did not appeal to me at all so I never tried
it but others seemed to love it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Julie Bove
> wrote:

> A favorite potluck dish where I used to work was a block of cream cheese
> with a can of little shrimp dumped over it and a jar of cocktail sauce
> poured over. Serve with Ritz. Did not appeal to me at all so I never tried
> it but others seemed to love it!

That's a famous old party offering and tasty too. Itty bitty cooked
frozen shrimp work as well, but I started eating it with canned, and
Ritz are a must. Now, all I have to do is remember it.
Canned shrimp in white sauce on buttered toast is another favorite of
mine.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 9:49:16 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> How did you make that spam pie? )

It's a pecan pie using Spam instead of pecans. I suppose you could use anything in that pie. I'm thinking graham crackers and chocolate chips. At the last 5 minutes or so you top that mess with marshmallows and continue baking. S'mores pie.

I had a Doritos taco salad today. It's a small bag of tortilla chips with shredded lettuce, taco meat, sliced olives, tomatoes, cheese, black beans, and jalapenos. The stuff is dumped into the bag and eaten from the bag. It's quite good. It's a deconstructed taco that's super fast to make and it comes with a disposable plate. Brilliant!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 12:36:24 PM UTC-10, songbird wrote:

> would try both of those at least once...
>
> i used to really like eating raw ramen noodles
> right out of the package.
>
> and spam with a lot of sugar wouldn't be that
> far from maple flavored sausage or candied ham.
>

> songbird

There's a couple of ways of eating raw ramen. Crush the noodles in the bag, take out the soup packet, and sprinkle on top of the noodles. You could also just eat the noodle cake out of the bag with the soup base sprinkled on top. If you're health-conscious, don't use use the soup base. If you're super health-conscious, don't eat the noodles either.

You could also sprinkle the crushed noodles on top of salads too for some crunch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 9:49:16 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> How did you make that spam pie? )

It's a pecan pie using Spam instead of pecans. I suppose you could use
anything in that pie. I'm thinking graham crackers and chocolate chips. At
the last 5 minutes or so you top that mess with marshmallows and continue
baking. S'mores pie.

I had a Doritos taco salad today. It's a small bag of tortilla chips with
shredded lettuce, taco meat, sliced olives, tomatoes, cheese, black beans,
and jalapenos. The stuff is dumped into the bag and eaten from the bag. It's
quite good. It's a deconstructed taco that's super fast to make and it comes
with a disposable plate. Brilliant!

==

Have my share and enjoy)

About that spam pie. Would it work with diced spam and a musubi sauce, or
maple syrup and was that a pastry base?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 > wrote:

>There's a couple of ways of eating raw ramen. Crush the noodles in the bag, take out the soup packet, and sprinkle on top of the noodles. You could also just eat the noodle cake out of the bag with the soup base sprinkled on top. If you're health-conscious, don't use use the soup base. If you're super health-conscious, don't eat the noodles either.
>You could also sprinkle the crushed noodles on top of salads too for some crunch.

You need a triple dose of Metamucil.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/9/2018 2:21 AM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
> In article >, Julie Bove
> > wrote:
>
>> A favorite potluck dish where I used to work was a block of cream cheese
>> with a can of little shrimp dumped over it and a jar of cocktail sauce
>> poured over. Serve with Ritz. Did not appeal to me at all so I never tried
>> it but others seemed to love it!

> That's a famous old party offering and tasty too. Itty bitty cooked
> frozen shrimp work as well, but I started eating it with canned, and
> Ritz are a must. Now, all I have to do is remember it.

Kind of reminds me of Sau Sea Shrimp cocktail. My aunt would ask me
to walk down to the corner store to get that. I don't see it around
any more, not that I've looked, but I remember it fondly.

Didn't have it over cream cheese.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/9/2018 10:33 AM, l not -l wrote:
> On 9-Apr-2018, wrote:

>> Kind of reminds me of Sau Sea Shrimp cocktail. My aunt would
>> ask me
>> to walk down to the corner store to get that. I don't see it
>> around
>> any more, not that I've looked, but I remember it fondly.

> As do I, if it is what I recall. I don't remember the name; but,
> what I enjoyed long ago was tiny shrimp, in cocktail sauce,
> frozen in a small, hour-glass shaped jar and sold four to a
> carton.

Exactly.

> I think I still may have a couple of the jars around,
> they made nice little juice glasses.

You betcha those were her juice glasses! Hee. They were the
perfect size, and meant to be reused.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-09 10:40 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 4/9/2018 10:33 AM, l not -l wrote:
>
>> As do I, if it is what I recall.Â* I don't remember the name; but,
>> what I enjoyed long ago was tiny shrimp, in cocktail sauce,
>> frozen in a small, hour-glass shaped jar and sold four to a
>> carton.

> Exactly.
>
>> I think I still may have a couple of the jars around,
>> they made nice little juice glasses.

> You betcha those were her juice glasses!Â* Hee.Â* They were the
> perfect size, and meant to be reused.

I had forgotten about those things. I had to dig way, way back to awaken
a memory of those things. We only had them a couple times, and that was
how we ended up with those little juice glasses. That was back in the
days when the only way we ever had shrimp was in shrimp cocktail or as
ready made breaded and deep fried.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 9, 2018 at 2:51:44 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Have my share and enjoy)
>
> About that spam pie. Would it work with diced spam and a musubi sauce, or
> maple syrup and was that a pastry base?

Spam pie with a shoyu based filling? That might work. What would probably work fine is Spam with a cheese and egg filling i.e., Spam quiche. The crust was a standard pie crust made with shortening.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 9 Apr 2018 09:54:22 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>On 4/9/2018 2:21 AM, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>> In article >, Julie Bove
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> A favorite potluck dish where I used to work was a block of cream cheese
>>> with a can of little shrimp dumped over it and a jar of cocktail sauce
>>> poured over. Serve with Ritz. Did not appeal to me at all so I never tried
>>> it but others seemed to love it!

>> That's a famous old party offering and tasty too. Itty bitty cooked
>> frozen shrimp work as well, but I started eating it with canned, and
>> Ritz are a must. Now, all I have to do is remember it.

>Kind of reminds me of Sau Sea Shrimp cocktail. My aunt would ask me
>to walk down to the corner store to get that. I don't see it around
>any more, not that I've looked, but I remember it fondly.
>
>Didn't have it over cream cheese.
>
>nancy

The last time I ate Sau Sea Shrimp Cocktail I was a young teen... mom
used them as an appetizer to gussy up a simple meal... dad and my
brother wouldn't eat it and our sister was a year or two old so was
too young, more for mom and me. I remember it was packaged in a
footed cocktail glass. Thinking about it I don't remember seeing it
anywhere since.
I swearI didn't see this until after I wrote the above:
http://www.kitchenencounters.typepad...cocktail-.html

Seems Sau-Sea is still in business but they don't sell the shrimp
cocktail, they only sell the sauce:
https://www.sauseafoods.com/
These are the Sau-Sea Shrimp Cocktail glasses I remember:
https://img0.etsystatic.com/041/0/63...32112_c8d6.jpg
https://search.aol.com/aol/image?q=s... &action=click
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/9/2018 11:39 AM, l not -l wrote:
> On 9-Apr-2018, Nancy Young > wrote:

>>> what I enjoyed long ago was tiny shrimp, in cocktail sauce,
>>> frozen in a small, hour-glass shaped jar and sold four to a
>>> carton.

>> Exactly.

> Long ago, on my first full-time job, I would sometimes take one
> in my lunch. It would thaw just enough to be ready to eat at
> lunch, where, if no utensil was handy, I'd eat the shrimp with a
> toothpick, then, eat the extra sauce with my finges (if nobody
> was around to see, of course).

Funny. They were kind of a tasty snack, I guess we used spoons.

> About 10 years ago, I came across them in the freezer case at a
> local supermarket I rarely shop. I couldn't resist. They were
> as good, or at least the fond memory made them as good, as I
> recalled.

They were sweet and spicy as I recall, but it's been a very long
time since I've had those. Two foods I remember from my elderly
Irish relatives who'd emigrated to Da Bronx, Sau Sea and canned
fruit cocktail.

Probably as close as they came to actual cocktails, I think they
were teetotalers.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> There's a couple of ways of eating raw ramen. Crush the noodles in the bag, take out the soup packet, and sprinkle on top of the noodles. You could also just eat the noodle cake out of the bag with the soup base sprinkled on top. If you're health-conscious, don't use use the soup base. If you're super health-conscious, don't eat the noodles either.
>
> You could also sprinkle the crushed noodles on top of salads too for some crunch.

i hardly ever have ramen noodles any more.

i just took the slabs out of the package
and ate them, no need to break them up my
teef worked for that well enough.

way back, before i found my taste for them in
the crunchy form i used to have them for dinner
with a can of tuna and a squirt of hot sauce
several times a week.

i hardly ever have canned tuna any more
either. when the prices went rediculous like
sardines i switched to more vegetables/beans.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, April 9, 2018 at 2:51:44 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Have my share and enjoy)
>
> About that spam pie. Would it work with diced spam and a musubi sauce, or
> maple syrup and was that a pastry base?

Spam pie with a shoyu based filling? That might work. What would probably
work fine is Spam with a cheese and egg filling i.e., Spam quiche. The crust
was a standard pie crust made with shortening.

==

Hmm interesting. He is hooked on shoyu atm so I guess if I made it, it
would need to be that LOL

I gave him that plum sauce with some spring rolls yesterday. He said he
liked it but he would have preferred it with shoyu <g>

You do know this is All Your Fault don't you?? ))

<g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>songbird wrote:

>> it's a cold and blustery early spring day
>> here, tell me stories.

> A couple of years ago, I made ham and limas (yum) and then I added
> sliced cabbage (yech and ruined the pot). I believe one or more people
> here warned me not to do it, but I was prideful.

that sounds good. i love cabbage in about any
form (and all the related vegetables). turnips
are about all that grow here that don't get ruined
by bugs. i can't cook them often, but i do like
them at times when i can get away with it.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, April 9, 2018 at 8:31:56 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Hmm interesting. He is hooked on shoyu atm so I guess if I made it, it
> would need to be that LOL
>
> I gave him that plum sauce with some spring rolls yesterday. He said he
> liked it but he would have preferred it with shoyu <g>
>
> You do know this is All Your Fault don't you?? ))
>
> <g>

I'd say that most peculiar things are afoot in Scotland. Next you'll be telling me that firemen are rushing in from the pouring rain. Very strange.

We eat those fried rolls with a light sweet sauce made with vinegar and fish sauce. Sometimes it will be a sweet, thicker, sauce with chilies and garlic. If you get the rolls at a Chinese restaurant, you might get a thick, bright red, sweet and sour sauce. That's kinda weird. I don't order egg rolls in Chinese restaurants. People here like to order crispy gau gee and dip that in soy sauce and Chinese mustard.

https://www.foodland.com/recipe/crispy-gau-gee

Sandra's Money Saving Meals: One Pot Meals Ubiquitous General Cooking 8 31-08-2009 12:04 AM
OOT meals Chemiker General Cooking 3 26-07-2009 02:03 PM
Some meals modom (palindrome guy)[_2_] General Cooking 0 01-12-2007 10:39 PM
Best meals to eat before you die Nancy Young General Cooking 75 08-02-2006 04:01 AM
Meals in a jar andicee Preserving 4 21-04-2005 03:33 AM