Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default French baker fined for opening 7 days per week:-)

http://tiny.cc/oouvry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" wrote in message news
http://tiny.cc/oouvry

==

Strange! Sounds like the UK wayyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 17 Mar 2018 09:54:37a, Ophelia told us...
>

>> "graham" wrote in message news >>
>> http://tiny.cc/oouvry
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Strange! Sounds like the UK wayyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day

> That was true us much of the USA, too. Here they were called "Blue
> Laws" and most came about during the 1800s, and lasted into the
> 1960s. Most retail stores were not open. Liquor could be served
> after 1:00 p.m. but not sold in liquor stores.
>
> Many retail stores, including supermarkets closed at 5:00 p.m. 6 days
> a week and closed all day on Sunday.

Ha Ha, I remember those days. In a medium sized town about 50 miles
away, the manager of one of the K-marts defied the law, and opened up
the store each sunday, got arrested and hauled off to jail. He kept it
up for quite a while. It was on the news the first few times. It was
called the week's "blue light special", since Kmart had those flash
sales with blue strobe lights near the items on special, and because the
cops had blue lights on their cars. Some folks would go down on sunday
to watch the rigmarole.

It wasn't too many years afterward that the laws were changed. I guess
people *finally* figured out that gawd wouldn't smote them for shopping
on sunday

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "graham" wrote in message news >
> http://tiny.cc/oouvry
>
> ==
>
> Strange! Sounds like the UK wayyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day

France is generally regressive when it comes to business - positive attitudes, Ms. O, which is why they lag behind the UK, Germany, etc...France has over 9% unemployment, the UK a bit over 4%, Germany under 4%...

And they simply lack our Protestant Northern European work ethic, too, Ms. O....

;-)

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve 'Chihuahua' Wertz" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "graham" wrote in message news >
> http://tiny.cc/oouvry
>
> ==
>
> Strange! Sounds like the UK wayyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day

France is generally regressive when it comes to business - positive
attitudes, Ms. O, which is why they lag behind the UK, Germany, etc...France
has over 9% unemployment, the UK a bit over 4%, Germany under 4%...

And they simply lack our Protestant Northern European work ethic, too, Ms.
O....

;-)

Best
Greg

==

Good thing we live where we do then, eh? <g>

Oddly enough, I never think to do my shopping on Sundays. I always do mine-
some on Saturday and the big one on Monday)

Maybe it is old habits dying hard)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2018 9:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "graham" wrote in message news >
> http://tiny.cc/oouvry
>
> ==
>
> Strange! Sounds like the UK wayyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day

Seems odd, since with all the regulation and taxes those that choose to
still work have to work extra hard to make up for all those who choose
not to and, of course, get taken care of anyway since they are "in need".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Taxed and Spent wrote:

> On 3/17/2018 9:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> > "graham" wrote in message news > >
> > http://tiny.cc/oouvry
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Strange! Sounds like the UK wayyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day
> >

> Seems odd, since with all the regulation and taxes those that choose to
> still work have to work extra hard to make up for all those who choose
> not to and, of course, get taken care of anyway since they are "in need".

France needs a Maggie Thatcher...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Taxed and Spent" wrote in message news
On 3/17/2018 9:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "graham" wrote in message news >
> http://tiny.cc/oouvry
>
> ==
>
> Strange! Sounds like the UK wayyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day

Seems odd, since with all the regulation and taxes those that choose to
still work have to work extra hard to make up for all those who choose
not to and, of course, get taken care of anyway since they are "in need".

==

Oh yes! I know just what you mean!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Taxed and Spent wrote:

> On 3/17/2018 9:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> >

> > "graham" wrote in message news > >
> > http://tiny.cc/oouvry
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Strange! Sounds like the UK wayyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day
> >

> Seems odd, since with all the regulation and taxes those that choose to
> still work have to work extra hard to make up for all those who choose
> not to and, of course, get taken care of anyway since they are "in need".

France needs a Maggie Thatcher...

Best
Greg

==

Every country could use a Maggie) I wish we had one now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Steve 'Chihuahua' Wertz" wrote in message
>
> Taxed and Spent wrote:
>
> > On 3/17/2018 9:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> > >

> > > "graham" wrote in message news > > >
> > > http://tiny.cc/oouvry
> > >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > Strange! Sounds like the UK wayyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day
> > >

> > Seems odd, since with all the regulation and taxes those that choose to
> > still work have to work extra hard to make up for all those who choose
> > not to and, of course, get taken care of anyway since they are "in need".

> France needs a Maggie Thatcher...
>
> Best
> Greg
>
> ==
>
> Every country could use a Maggie) I wish we had one now.

I miss her, and also Ronald Reagan...weren't those GREAT times, Ms. O....!!!??? They really did save the world - along with Pope John Paul II and Gorby...

In one of my history books there's a scene recounted: Reagan is in his office, Maggie is on the phone from Downing Street, and she is shouting at him about some point or other...he gleefully holds the phone up to his aides, saying, "Hear that...isn't she just WONDERFUL...!!!???" They were great friends, and that allowed them to have their differences. They always understood each other...

Yes, wonderful times...

;-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2018 4:52 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Steve 'Chihuahua' Wertz"Â* wrote in message
>
> OpheliaÂ* wrote:
>
>> "graham"Â* wrote in message news >>
>> http://tiny.cc/oouvry
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Strange!Â* Sounds like the UK wayyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day

> France is generally regressive when it comes to business - positive
> attitudes, Ms. O, which is why they lag behind the UK, Germany,
> etc...France has over 9% unemployment, the UK a bit over 4%, Germany
> under 4%...
>
> And they simply lack our Protestant Northern European work ethic, too,
> Ms. O....
>
> ;-)
>

> Best
> Greg
>
> ==
>
> Good thing we live where we do then, eh?Â* <g>
>
> Oddly enough, I never think to do my shopping on Sundays.Â* I always do
> mine- some onÂ* Saturday and the big one on Monday)
>
> Maybe it is old habits dying hard)

For better or worse, the world has changed. Supermarkets used to be
closed on Sunday and now it is the busiest day of the week.

In ancient times when we were kids, Sunday was for visiting relatives,
dinner with grandma sort of thing but that was replaced with going to
the mall. In my entire life, I've worked maybe 3 Sundays under unusual
circumstances. My choice, the government should not be telling me I
can't do as I see fit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 2:23 PM, Steve 'Chihuahua' Wertz wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>
>> "graham" wrote in message news >>
>> http://tiny.cc/oouvry
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Strange! Sounds like the UK wayyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day

> France is generally regressive when it comes to business - positive attitudes, Ms. O, which is why they lag behind the UK, Germany, etc...France has over 9% unemployment, the UK a bit over 4%, Germany under 4%...
>
> And they simply lack our Protestant Northern European work ethic, too, Ms. O....

Which is why Boeing worries about Airbus:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Steve 'Chihuahua' Wertz" wrote in message
>
> Taxed and Spent wrote:
>
> > On 3/17/2018 9:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> > >

> > > "graham" wrote in message news > > >
> > > http://tiny.cc/oouvry
> > >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > Strange! Sounds like the UK wayyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day
> > >

> > Seems odd, since with all the regulation and taxes those that choose to
> > still work have to work extra hard to make up for all those who choose
> > not to and, of course, get taken care of anyway since they are "in
> > need".

> France needs a Maggie Thatcher...
>
> Best
> Greg
>
> ==
>
> Every country could use a Maggie) I wish we had one now.

I miss her, and also Ronald Reagan...weren't those GREAT times, Ms.
O....!!!??? They really did save the world - along with Pope John Paul II
and Gorby...

In one of my history books there's a scene recounted: Reagan is in his
office, Maggie is on the phone from Downing Street, and she is shouting at
him about some point or other...he gleefully holds the phone up to his
aides, saying, "Hear that...isn't she just WONDERFUL...!!!???" They were
great friends, and that allowed them to have their differences. They always
understood each other...

Yes, wonderful times...

;-)

Best
Greg

==

LOL aye lad, them were't good days)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 2:55 PM, Steve 'Chihuahua' Wertz wrote:
> Taxed and Spent wrote:
>
>> On 3/17/2018 9:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>>

>>> "graham" wrote in message news >>>
>>> http://tiny.cc/oouvry
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Strange! Sounds like the UK wayyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day
>>>

>> Seems odd, since with all the regulation and taxes those that choose to
>> still work have to work extra hard to make up for all those who choose
>> not to and, of course, get taken care of anyway since they are "in need".

> France needs a Maggie Thatcher...

CHRIST NO!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 3:10 PM, Steve 'Chihuahua' Wertz wrote:
> Ophelia wrote:
>
>> "Steve 'Chihuahua' Wertz" wrote in message
>>
>> Taxed and Spent wrote:

>>> Seems odd, since with all the regulation and taxes those that choose to
>>> still work have to work extra hard to make up for all those who choose
>>> not to and, of course, get taken care of anyway since they are "in need".

>> France needs a Maggie Thatcher...
>>
>> Best
>> Greg
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Every country could use a Maggie) I wish we had one now.

> I miss her, and also Ronald Reagan...weren't those GREAT times, Ms. O....!!!??? They really did save the world - along with Pope John Paul II and Gorby...

Yes and they really ****ed up the economy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

On 3/17/2018 4:52 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Steve 'Chihuahua' Wertz" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>
>> "graham" wrote in message news >>
>> http://tiny.cc/oouvry
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Strange! Sounds like the UK wayyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day

> France is generally regressive when it comes to business - positive
> attitudes, Ms. O, which is why they lag behind the UK, Germany,
> etc...France has over 9% unemployment, the UK a bit over 4%, Germany under
> 4%...
>
> And they simply lack our Protestant Northern European work ethic, too, Ms.
> O....
>
> ;-)
>

> Best
> Greg
>
> ==
>
> Good thing we live where we do then, eh? <g>
>
> Oddly enough, I never think to do my shopping on Sundays. I always do
> mine- some on Saturday and the big one on Monday)
>
> Maybe it is old habits dying hard)

For better or worse, the world has changed. Supermarkets used to be
closed on Sunday and now it is the busiest day of the week.

In ancient times when we were kids, Sunday was for visiting relatives,
dinner with grandma sort of thing but that was replaced with going to
the mall. In my entire life, I've worked maybe 3 Sundays under unusual
circumstances. My choice, the government should not be telling me I
can't do as I see fit.

==

Yes, those days were for visiting So far as I can seeour 'our'
governments are not telling us what to do, but it seems the French one is
with their people.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 2:55 PM, Steve 'Chihuahua' Wertz wrote:
> Taxed and Spent wrote:
>
>> On 3/17/2018 9:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>>

>>> "graham" wrote in message news >>>
>>> http://tiny.cc/oouvry
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Strange! Sounds like the UK wayyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day
>>>

>> Seems odd, since with all the regulation and taxes those that choose to
>> still work have to work extra hard to make up for all those who choose
>> not to and, of course, get taken care of anyway since they are "in need".

> France needs a Maggie Thatcher...

CHRIST NO!!

==

LOL I was waiting for that lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 14:10:12 -0700 (PDT), "Steve 'Chihuahua' Wertz"
> wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>
>> "Steve 'Chihuahua' Wertz" wrote in message
>>
>> Taxed and Spent wrote:

>> > Seems odd, since with all the regulation and taxes those that choose to
>> > still work have to work extra hard to make up for all those who choose
>> > not to and, of course, get taken care of anyway since they are "in need".

>> France needs a Maggie Thatcher...
>>
>> Best
>> Greg
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Every country could use a Maggie) I wish we had one now.

>I miss her, and also Ronald Reagan...weren't those GREAT times, Ms. O....!!!??? They really did save the world - along with Pope John Paul II and Gorby...
>
>In one of my history books there's a scene recounted: Reagan is in his office, Maggie is on the phone from Downing Street, and she is shouting at him about some point or other...he gleefully holds the phone up to his aides, saying, "Hear that...isn't she just WONDERFUL...!!!???" They were great friends, and that allowed them to have their differences. They always understood each other...
>
>Yes, wonderful times...
>
>;-)

Thatcher got the UK on the brink of bankrupcy. Only the very
right-wing idealize her. Same for Reagan, who was already going senile
when he was elected. But I hope y'all enjoy your right-wing fantasies

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 15:24:57 -0600, graham > wrote:

>On 2018-03-17 2:55 PM, Steve 'Chihuahua' Wertz wrote:
>> Taxed and Spent wrote:

>>> Seems odd, since with all the regulation and taxes those that choose to
>>> still work have to work extra hard to make up for all those who choose
>>> not to and, of course, get taken care of anyway since they are "in need".

>> France needs a Maggie Thatcher...
>>

>CHRIST NO!!

The French need to modernise, but Thatcher would be a huge step
backwards.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 5:20 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/17/2018 4:52 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

> For better or worse, the world has changed.Â* Supermarkets used to be
> closed on Sunday and now it is the busiest day of the week.
>
> In ancient times when we were kids, Sunday was for visiting relatives,
> dinner with grandma sort of thing but that was replaced with going to
> the mall.Â* In my entire life, I've worked maybe 3 Sundays under unusual
> circumstances. My choice, the government should not be telling me I
> can't do as I see fit.

I like the idea of a common day off. Shoppers don't have any more money
for shopping just because stores are open an extra day. It is just one
more case of pressure on small business by big corporations. The
argument for Sunday shopping here was that it was available across the
border in NY, and local stores were losing money due to the cross border
shopping.

If I ran the world I would allow Sunday shopping if people demanded it,
but it would have to involve making everything else 7 day a week
operations. Schools, doctors, dentists, lawyers, courts, construction.
If people want the lowest paid sector to be open on Sunday to cater to
their shopping wants, then they should have to give up their weekends too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 21:00:15 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Steve 'Chihuahua' Wertz" wrote in message
>
>Taxed and Spent wrote:
>
>> On 3/17/2018 9:54 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> >

>> > "graham" wrote in message news >> >
>> > http://tiny.cc/oouvry
>> >
>> > ==
>> >
>> > Strange! Sounds like the UK wayyyyyyyyyyyy back in the day
>> >

>> Seems odd, since with all the regulation and taxes those that choose to
>> still work have to work extra hard to make up for all those who choose
>> not to and, of course, get taken care of anyway since they are "in need".

>France needs a Maggie Thatcher...
>
>Best
>Greg
>
>==
>
>Every country could use a Maggie) I wish we had one now.

Ophelia's so right wing, she falls off the scale
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2018 3:01 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 21:00:15 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>> "Steve 'Chihuahua' Wertz" wrote in message
>>
>> Taxed and Spent wrote:

>>> Seems odd, since with all the regulation and taxes those that choose to
>>> still work have to work extra hard to make up for all those who choose
>>> not to and, of course, get taken care of anyway since they are "in need".

>> France needs a Maggie Thatcher...
>>
>> Best
>> Greg
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Every country could use a Maggie) I wish we had one now.

> Ophelia's so right wing, she falls off the scale

Right into my arms!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 17:07:28 -0700, Taxed and Spent
> wrote:

>On 3/17/2018 3:01 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 21:00:15 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:

>>> France needs a Maggie Thatcher...
>>>
>>> Best
>>> Greg
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Every country could use a Maggie) I wish we had one now.

>> Ophelia's so right wing, she falls off the scale
>>

>Right into my arms!

lol, birds of a feather...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 00:04:06 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 17 Mar 2018 02:00:15p, Ophelia told us...
>

>> "Steve 'Chihuahua' Wertz" wrote in message
>>
>> Taxed and Spent wrote:

>>> Seems odd, since with all the regulation and taxes those that
>>> choose to still work have to work extra hard to make up for all
>>> those who choose not to and, of course, get taken care of anyway
>>> since they are "in need".

>> France needs a Maggie Thatcher...
>>
>> Best
>> Greg
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Every country could use a Maggie) I wish we had one now.
>>

>I wish the US did now! Just look what we're stuck with!!!

Is there a big difference? Trump's more entertaining, that's true.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 17 Mar 2018 02:40:40p, Dave Smith told us...
>
>> On 2018-03-17 5:20 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>> On 3/17/2018 4:52 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>>>

>>> For better or worse, the world has changed. Supermarkets used
>>> to be closed on Sunday and now it is the busiest day of the week.
>>>
>>> In ancient times when we were kids, Sunday was for visiting
>>> relatives, dinner with grandma sort of thing but that was
>>> replaced with going to the mall. In my entire life, I've worked
>>> maybe 3 Sundays under unusual circumstances. My choice, the
>>> government should not be telling me I can't do as I see fit.

>> I like the idea of a common day off. Shoppers don't have any more
>> money for shopping just because stores are open an extra day. It
>> is just one more case of pressure on small business by big
>> corporations. The argument for Sunday shopping here was that it
>> was available across the border in NY, and local stores were
>> losing money due to the cross border shopping.
>>
>> If I ran the world I would allow Sunday shopping if people
>> demanded it, but it would have to involve making everything else 7
>> day a week operations. Schools, doctors, dentists, lawyers,
>> courts, construction. If people want the lowest paid sector to be
>> open on Sunday to cater to their shopping wants, then they should
>> have to give up their weekends too.
>>

> But you don't run the world, Dave, and that's probably a good thing.
> :-)

I'd vote for him if the only other candidate was PenFart