Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Eggs

WaPo article:
http://tiny.cc/nttvry

I still prefer deeply coloured yolks though.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2018 11:18 AM, graham wrote:
> WaPo article:
> http://tiny.cc/nttvry
>
> I still prefer deeply coloured yolks though.
> Graham

WaPo wants a buck to read the article. F'em.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 9:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/17/2018 11:18 AM, graham wrote:
>> WaPo article:
>> http://tiny.cc/nttvry
>>
>> I still prefer deeply coloured yolks though.
>> Graham

> WaPo wants a buck to read the article.Â* F'em.

Really?
I read the WaPo every day and never pay a cent.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 9:49 AM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-03-17 9:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 3/17/2018 11:18 AM, graham wrote:
>>> WaPo article:
>>> http://tiny.cc/nttvry
>>>
>>> I still prefer deeply coloured yolks though.
>>> Graham

>> WaPo wants a buck to read the article.Â* F'em.

> Really?
> I read the WaPo every day and never pay a cent.

Furthermore, I just checked that Tiny URL and it took me straight to the
article - no paywall.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2018 11:49 AM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-03-17 9:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 3/17/2018 11:18 AM, graham wrote:
>>> WaPo article:
>>> http://tiny.cc/nttvry
>>>
>>> I still prefer deeply coloured yolks though.
>>> Graham

>> WaPo wants a buck to read the article.Â* F'em.

> Really?
> I read the WaPo every day and never pay a cent.

For free?

Get access to this story, and every story, on the web and in our apps
with our Basic Digital subscription.
Keep reading for $10 $1

You will be charged $1 for the initial 4 week term and $10 every 4 weeks
thereafter until you cancel. Sales tax may apply. If the rate for your
subscription changes, we will notify you of the new amount at least 10
days in advance of the date of your next payment. By subscribing, you
agree to the above terms, the Terms of Service, Digital Products Terms
of Sale & Privacy Policy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 9:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/17/2018 11:18 AM, graham wrote:
>> WaPo article:
>> http://tiny.cc/nttvry
>>
>> I still prefer deeply coloured yolks though.
>> Graham

> WaPo wants a buck to read the article. F'em.

Really?
I read the WaPo every day and never pay a cent.

==

Odd that. It didn't ask me to pay either.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 9:51 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/17/2018 11:49 AM, graham wrote:

>>> WaPo wants a buck to read the article.Â* F'em.

>> Really?
>> I read the WaPo every day and never pay a cent.

> For free?
>
> Get access to this story, and every story, on the web and in our apps
> with our Basic Digital subscription.
> Keep reading for $10 $1
>
> You will be charged $1 for the initial 4 week term and $10 every 4 weeks
> thereafter until you cancel. Sales tax may apply. If the rate for your
> subscription changes, we will notify you of the new amount at least 10
> days in advance of the date of your next payment. By subscribing, you
> agree to the above terms, the Terms of Service, Digital Products Terms
> of Sale & Privacy Policy.

I just go to their website: https://www.washingtonpost.com/
and all the headlines are there. I can read up to 4 articles before they
pull down the curtain but I just close my browser, re-open it and go
back to read another 4.
Same with the NYT.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2018 9:00 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "graham" wrote in message news >
> On 2018-03-17 9:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 3/17/2018 11:18 AM, graham wrote:
>>> WaPo article:
>>> http://tiny.cc/nttvry
>>>
>>> I still prefer deeply coloured yolks though.
>>> Graham

>> WaPo wants a buck to read the article. F'em.

> Really?
> I read the WaPo every day and never pay a cent.
>
> ==
>
> Odd that. It didn't ask me to pay either.

They know you can't afford it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Duck eggs are what we need.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 5:43:20 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> WaPo wants a buck to read the article. F'em.

Indeed. The article was pretty shallow stuff. You'd feel cheated if you paid a dollar to read it. I'm fairly disappointed about having read it myself and I didn't pay nuttin'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Taxed and Spent" wrote in message news
On 3/17/2018 9:00 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "graham" wrote in message news >
> On 2018-03-17 9:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 3/17/2018 11:18 AM, graham wrote:
>>> WaPo article:
>>> http://tiny.cc/nttvry
>>>
>>> I still prefer deeply coloured yolks though.
>>> Graham

>> WaPo wants a buck to read the article. F'em.

> Really?
> I read the WaPo every day and never pay a cent.
>
> ==
>
> Odd that. It didn't ask me to pay either.

They know you can't afford it.
==

lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 5:43:20 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> WaPo wants a buck to read the article. F'em.

Indeed. The article was pretty shallow stuff. You'd feel cheated if you paid
a dollar to read it. I'm fairly disappointed about having read it myself and
I didn't pay nuttin'.

==

Ahhh so did they know you couldn't afford it either ? ;p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 6:53:14 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Ahhh so did they know you couldn't afford it either ? ;p

Well, mostly I think everything should be free. That's probably a very poor attitude in these modern times. I should get with the program. Hee hee.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 3/17/2018 11:49 AM, graham wrote:

> >> WaPo wants a buck to read the article.Â* F'em.

> > Really?
> > I read the WaPo every day and never pay a cent.

> For free?
>
> Get access to this story, and every story, on the web and in our apps
> with our Basic Digital subscription.
> Keep reading for $10 $1
>
> You will be charged $1 for the initial 4 week term and $10 every 4 weeks
> thereafter until you cancel. Sales tax may apply. If the rate for your
> subscription changes, we will notify you of the new amount at least 10
> days in advance of the date of your next payment. By subscribing, you
> agree to the above terms, the Terms of Service, Digital Products Terms
> of Sale & Privacy Policy.

Earlier in the year Amazon Prime offered a free six - month WaPo sub, my free ride ends in July...don't know if the offer is still extant.

[ I HATE paywalls, or publications that ask you to "whitelist" them in order to gain access...]

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
news
> WaPo article:
> http://tiny.cc/nttvry
>
> I still prefer deeply coloured yolks though.
> Graham

I'm the opposite, I don't care for deep colored yolks.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "graham" wrote in message news > On 2018-03-17 9:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 3/17/2018 11:18 AM, graham wrote:
>>> WaPo article:
>>> http://tiny.cc/nttvry
>>>
>>> I still prefer deeply coloured yolks though.
>>> Graham

>> WaPo wants a buck to read the article. F'em.

> Really?
> I read the WaPo every day and never pay a cent.
>
> ==
>
> Odd that. It didn't ask me to pay either.

Me either.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 11:19 AM, l not -l wrote:
> On 17-Mar-2018, graham > wrote:

>>> WaPo wants a buck to read the article.ÂÂ* F'em.

>> Really?
>> I read the WaPo every day and never pay a cent.

> I was able to read the article; but, was told I had almost
> exhausted my free articles for the month and was asked if I'd
> like to subscribe.

Clean out your browser of cookies etc. Then go back in for another 4
free ones.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> On 3/17/2018 11:18 AM, graham wrote:
> > WaPo article:
> > http://tiny.cc/nttvry
> >
> > I still prefer deeply coloured yolks though.
> > Graham

> WaPo wants a buck to read the article. F'em.

Try a different browser. I just read the article free using
ancient Firefox version 2 on this old Win98 computer. Nothing new
to worry about....just old news concerning different types of
chicken eggs. You've already heard it long ago.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 6:53:14 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Ahhh so did they know you couldn't afford it either ? ;p

Well, mostly I think everything should be free. That's probably a very poor
attitude in these modern times. I should get with the program. Hee hee.

==

)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> Duck eggs are what we need.

Think large like Sheldon.....use ostrich eggs! :-D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 10:50:40 AM UTC-5, graham wrote:

> On 2018-03-17 9:49 AM, graham wrote:

> >> WaPo wants a buck to read the article.Â* F'em.

> > Really?
> > I read the WaPo every day and never pay a cent.

> Furthermore, I just checked that Tiny URL and it took me straight to the
> article - no paywall.

Me, too. I clicked on the link and the article opened right up.
No problems reading it at all.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 11:32:42 AM UTC-5, wrote:

> Duck eggs are what we need.

Duck eggs tend to be slightly waxy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 11:49 AM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-03-17 9:43 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 3/17/2018 11:18 AM, graham wrote:
>>> WaPo article:
>>> http://tiny.cc/nttvry
>>>
>>> I still prefer deeply coloured yolks though.
>>> Graham

>> WaPo wants a buck to read the article.Â* F'em.

> Really?
> I read the WaPo every day and never pay a cent.

I was not asked for money.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 12:37 PM, Gary wrote:
> graham wrote:
>>
>> WaPo article:
>> http://tiny.cc/nttvry
>>
>> I still prefer deeply coloured yolks though.

> From what I've read though, it's a visual thing only.
> I do know that what you feed chickens will affect the taste of
> their eggs.
>
> I had a couple of fried eggs one morning from home raised
> chickens that were fed ground fish meal. Oh man were they nasty.

I bought some eggs that were supposedly rich in Omega 3. To get that
they were fed fish meal.
I used them to make brioche. Fish-flavoured bread anyone?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 2:37 PM, Gary wrote:
> graham wrote:
>
> From what I've read though, it's a visual thing only.
> I do know that what you feed chickens will affect the taste of
> their eggs.
>
> I had a couple of fried eggs one morning from home raised
> chickens that were fed ground fish meal. Oh man were they nasty.
> Those fresh eggs tasted like fish gone bad.
> aarghthtioutoihgkn##&!!!!! >;-[]
>
> That was around 1983 and I haven't eaten breakfast since! lol

I used to get eggs from my next door neighhour. They had free range
chickens. They did a fair amount of their ranging on my property and
seemed to like my raspberries. I don't know how much of the colour of
the yolk was from the berries, but those yolks were a extremely bright.
Scrambled eggs and omelets made from those eggs were orange.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2018 12:51 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Taxed and Spent"Â* wrote in message news > On 3/17/2018 9:00 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "graham"Â* wrote in message news >>

>>> WaPo wants a buck to read the article.Â* F'em.

>> Really?
>> I read the WaPo every day and never pay a cent.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Odd that.Â* It didn't ask me to pay either.
>>

> They know you can't afford it.
> ==
>
> lol

They allow an article or two and then hit you for money. I used my limit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 12:21 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/17/2018 12:51 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Taxed and Spent"Â* wrote in message news >> On 3/17/2018 9:00 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Really?
>>> I read the WaPo every day and never pay a cent.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Odd that.Â* It didn't ask me to pay either.
>>>

>> They know you can't afford it.
>> ==
>>
>> lol
>>

> They allow an article or two and then hit you for money.Â* I used my limit.

I close Firefox, which automatically wipes my browsing history etc, then
re-open and visit WaPo for another 4 free articles.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:

>WaPo article:
>http://tiny.cc/nttvry
>
>I still prefer deeply coloured yolks though.

Find a source for duck eggs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:

> WaPo article:
> http://tiny.cc/nttvry
>
> I still prefer deeply coloured yolks though.

From what I've read though, it's a visual thing only.
I do know that what you feed chickens will affect the taste of
their eggs.

I had a couple of fried eggs one morning from home raised
chickens that were fed ground fish meal. Oh man were they nasty.
Those fresh eggs tasted like fish gone bad.
aarghthtioutoihgkn##&!!!!! >;-[]

That was around 1983 and I haven't eaten breakfast since! lol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

On 3/17/2018 12:51 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Taxed and Spent" wrote in message news > On 3/17/2018 9:00 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "graham" wrote in message news >>

>>> WaPo wants a buck to read the article. F'em.

>> Really?
>> I read the WaPo every day and never pay a cent.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Odd that. It didn't ask me to pay either.
>>

> They know you can't afford it.
> ==
>
> lol

They allow an article or two and then hit you for money. I used my limit.

===

Understood! I guess many places will do that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 12:21 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/17/2018 12:51 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Taxed and Spent" wrote in message news >> On 3/17/2018 9:00 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Really?
>>> I read the WaPo every day and never pay a cent.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Odd that. It didn't ask me to pay either.
>>>

>> They know you can't afford it.
>> ==
>>
>> lol
>>

> They allow an article or two and then hit you for money. I used my limit.

I close Firefox, which automatically wipes my browsing history etc, then
re-open and visit WaPo for another 4 free articles.

==

When you say 'browsing history' is that the same as cookies? I use
CCleaner every evening when I close down. It certainly get rid of a lot of

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 1:21 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "graham"Â* wrote in message news >
> On 2018-03-17 12:21 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> They know you can't afford it.
>>> ==
>>>
>>> lol
>>>

>> They allow an article or two and then hit you for money.Â* I used my
>> limit.

> I close Firefox, which automatically wipes my browsing history etc, then
> re-open and visit WaPo for another 4 free articles.
>
> ==
>
> When you say 'browsing history' is that the same as cookies?

Part of it, afaik

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 1:05:51 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 6:53:14 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > Ahhh so did they know you couldn't afford it either ? ;p

> Well, mostly I think everything should be free. That's probably a very poor attitude in these modern times. I should get with the program. Hee hee.

Are you willing to give away for free the product of your labor?

That said, most news web sites are paid for by advertising. The
advertisers are the customers and you are the product being sold.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, says...

> On 2018-03-17 9:49 AM, graham wrote:

http://tiny.cc/nttvry

> >> WaPo wants a buck to read the article.* F'em.

> > Really?
> > I read the WaPo every day and never pay a cent.

> Furthermore, I just checked that Tiny URL and it took me straight to the
> article - no paywall.

I get a message from the WP

"Get access to this story, and every story, on the web and in our apps.
Try 4 weeks for $1, then just $6/4 weeks after that."

Janet UK

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 14:21:59 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 3/17/2018 12:51 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "Taxed and Spent"* wrote in message news >> On 3/17/2018 9:00 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Really?
>>> I read the WaPo every day and never pay a cent.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Odd that.* It didn't ask me to pay either.
>>>

>> They know you can't afford it.
>> ==
>>
>> lol
>>

>They allow an article or two and then hit you for money. I used my limit.

If you use "Private Browsing" (Firefox) or an "Incognito Window"
(Chrome), you can read the maximum allowable number of articles, then
close that window and start over again with a new one. I do that all
the time with WaPo and NYT.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.44...

On Sat 17 Mar 2018 12:28:26p, graham told us...

> On 2018-03-17 1:21 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "graham"Â wrote in message news >>

>>> They allow an article or two and then hit you for money. I
>>> used my limit.

>> I close Firefox, which automatically wipes my browsing history
>> etc, then re-open and visit WaPo for another 4 free articles.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> When you say 'browsing history' is that the same as cookies?

> Part of it, afaik

No, browsing history is a list of the sites you visited. It could
be from only one day or a range of days depend on how much history is
defined. Browsing history can be helpful in locating a site you've
looked at and now have trouble finding again.

OTOH, cookies are special small files that can contain personal data,
information about the site you visited, login information about that
particular site, a program that tracks your usage, programs that can
install other software that you may not want, and many other bits of
information. Some software that you use are necessary to keep
depending on its association with the software. Many cookies can be
destructive and can actually contain viruses.

It's wise to wipe both categories from your machine to be on the safe
side.

Wayne Boatwright

==

Interesting, thanks. I use the CCleaner because otherwise, adverts appear
on the screen from anywhere I have searched.

How does one clean off the browsing history?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 10:26:33 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"graham" > wrote in message
>news
>> WaPo article:
>> http://tiny.cc/nttvry
>>
>> I still prefer deeply coloured yolks though.
>> Graham

>I'm the opposite, I don't care for deep colored yolks.

Snowflake.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 17:30:08 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 17-Mar-2018, graham > wrote:
>
>> WaPo article:
>> http://tiny.cc/nttvry
>>
>> I still prefer deeply coloured yolks though.
>> Graham

>While they may all be nutritionally the same or similar, I much
>prefer the free-range eggs. We appreciate food with all our
>senses and the aesthetics of the free-range make them taste
>better to me. I like the taller, more deeply colored yolks,
>which, IMO, are creamier in texture.

Very refreshing compared to the 1 dollar for a dozen crowd.