Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Call it what you will...

On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 9:13:10 AM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> In the USA a "recepton" where the food is being contributed by some or
> all of the guests or attendees, it can easily be construed as a
> potluck. It doesn't matter whether its comprised of appetizes, main
> dishes or desserts. If it's catered or all provided by one source
> (family, company, etc.) then it's simply a reception of some sort.
> There are numerous references on the Internet to "potluck receptionss".
> Regardless of what Tert calls it, in my book it still sounds like a
> potluck.

Maybe I'm wrong but I've always considered any reception, get together,
gathering, etc. when you are requested to bring a dish of your choosing
a potluck. If he's told to bring a specific dish, and you're told to
bring a specific dish, Jill is told to bring a specific dish, Cheri is
also told to bring a certain dish, and I'm told to bring a certain dish,
then no, I would not call that a potluck.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 10:57:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:
> On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 9:13:10 AM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >
> > In the USA a "recepton" where the food is being contributed by some or
> > all of the guests or attendees, it can easily be construed as a
> > potluck. It doesn't matter whether its comprised of appetizes, main
> > dishes or desserts. If it's catered or all provided by one source
> > (family, company, etc.) then it's simply a reception of some sort.
> > There are numerous references on the Internet to "potluck receptionss".
> > Regardless of what Tert calls it, in my book it still sounds like a
> > potluck.
> >

> Maybe I'm wrong but I've always considered any reception, get together,
> gathering, etc. when you are requested to bring a dish of your choosing
> a potluck. If he's told to bring a specific dish, and you're told to
> bring a specific dish, Jill is told to bring a specific dish, Cheri is
> also told to bring a certain dish, and I'm told to bring a certain dish,
> then no, I would not call that a potluck.

A potluck is where everybody brings something. Tert's description sounded
like a subset of the attendees were bringing something. So, not a
potluck.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 9:13:10 AM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> In the USA a "recepton" where the food is being contributed by some or
>> all of the guests or attendees, it can easily be construed as a
>> potluck. It doesn't matter whether its comprised of appetizes, main
>> dishes or desserts. If it's catered or all provided by one source
>> (family, company, etc.) then it's simply a reception of some sort.
>> There are numerous references on the Internet to "potluck receptionss".
>> Regardless of what Tert calls it, in my book it still sounds like a
>> potluck.
>>

> Maybe I'm wrong but I've always considered any reception, get together,
> gathering, etc. when you are requested to bring a dish of your choosing
> a potluck. If he's told to bring a specific dish, and you're told to
> bring a specific dish, Jill is told to bring a specific dish, Cheri is
> also told to bring a certain dish, and I'm told to bring a certain dish,
> then no, I would not call that a potluck.

I agree with all of that, so if you're wrong, so am I. I hope the specific
dish you're told to bring is harder to make than the one I'm told to bring.
;-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 10:57 AM, wrote:
> On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 9:13:10 AM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> In the USA a "recepton" where the food is being contributed by some or
>> all of the guests or attendees, it can easily be construed as a
>> potluck. It doesn't matter whether its comprised of appetizes, main
>> dishes or desserts. If it's catered or all provided by one source
>> (family, company, etc.) then it's simply a reception of some sort.
>> There are numerous references on the Internet to "potluck receptionss".
>> Regardless of what Tert calls it, in my book it still sounds like a
>> potluck.
>>

> Maybe I'm wrong but I've always considered any reception, get together,
> gathering, etc. when you are requested to bring a dish of your choosing
> a potluck. If he's told to bring a specific dish, and you're told to
> bring a specific dish, Jill is told to bring a specific dish, Cheri is
> also told to bring a certain dish, and I'm told to bring a certain dish,
> then no, I would not call that a potluck.

I don't think you are wrong. Even if you are asked to bring a dessert, a
salad, an appetizer..... as long as the dish is not specifically named,
they get what you bring.... potluck.

This is different from the party that my brother's friends were invited
to. After accepting the invitation she was asked to bring specific
items. She was asked to bring two roasted beef tenderloins. Note that
was two entire roasted loins. She was also asked two bottles of wine, a
red and a white. The hostess <?> told her which wines she wanted her to
bring, and they expensive. Never mind that this friend rarely drinks
and that her husband does not drink at all, they were looking at
$175-200 to buy the items she was asked to contribute to the hostess'
husband's birthday party. She made up an excuse to make it to the party.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 10:19:22 AM UTC-5, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 10:57:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:
>
> > Maybe I'm wrong but I've always considered any reception, get together,
> > gathering, etc. when you are requested to bring a dish of your choosing
> > a potluck. If he's told to bring a specific dish, and you're told to
> > bring a specific dish, Jill is told to bring a specific dish, Cheri is
> > also told to bring a certain dish, and I'm told to bring a certain dish,
> > then no, I would not call that a potluck.

> A potluck is where everybody brings something. Tert's description sounded
> like a subset of the attendees were bringing something. So, not a
> potluck.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Still sounds like a potluck to me. He was requested to bring something of
his choosing, not a specific dish. A potluck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 12:33:46 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> This is different from the party that my brother's friends were invited
> to. After accepting the invitation she was asked to bring specific
> items. She was asked to bring two roasted beef tenderloins. Note that
> was two entire roasted loins. She was also asked two bottles of wine, a
> red and a white. The hostess <?> told her which wines she wanted her to
> bring, and they expensive. Never mind that this friend rarely drinks
> and that her husband does not drink at all, they were looking at
> $175-200 to buy the items she was asked to contribute to the hostess'
> husband's birthday party. She made up an excuse to make it to the party.

Do I dare ask what wifey was contributing to this feast and the others
as well?

Please tell me she told her friend to take a flying leap.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 11:19 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 10:57:49 AM UTC-4, wrote:
>> On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 9:13:10 AM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>>
>>> In the USA a "recepton" where the food is being contributed by some or
>>> all of the guests or attendees, it can easily be construed as a
>>> potluck. It doesn't matter whether its comprised of appetizes, main
>>> dishes or desserts. If it's catered or all provided by one source
>>> (family, company, etc.) then it's simply a reception of some sort.
>>> There are numerous references on the Internet to "potluck receptionss".
>>> Regardless of what Tert calls it, in my book it still sounds like a
>>> potluck.
>>>

>> Maybe I'm wrong but I've always considered any reception, get together,
>> gathering, etc. when you are requested to bring a dish of your choosing
>> a potluck. If he's told to bring a specific dish, and you're told to
>> bring a specific dish, Jill is told to bring a specific dish, Cheri is
>> also told to bring a certain dish, and I'm told to bring a certain dish,
>> then no, I would not call that a potluck.

> A potluck is where everybody brings something. Tert's description sounded
> like a subset of the attendees were bringing something. So, not a
> potluck.

A potluck dinner would be one where everyone is expected to bring
something, and the result is enough for everyone to have a complete
meal... and leftovers. In that case, potluck is the adjective for the
dinner. That is different from a coordinated group dinner where people
bring specific items.

I know who potlucks work out in various situations. A good friend used
to have potluck dinner parties and he invited only people he knew who
made interesting contributions. At the other end is people like Cheap
Bob who was invited to a potluck BBQ along with a number of other
friends. Other people brought nuns, salads, desserts etc. Cheap Bob
showed up with his brother, two sisters and their spouses, and one can
of beer between them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 1:49 PM, wrote:
> On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 12:33:46 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> This is different from the party that my brother's friends were invited
>> to. After accepting the invitation she was asked to bring specific
>> items. She was asked to bring two roasted beef tenderloins. Note that
>> was two entire roasted loins. She was also asked two bottles of wine, a
>> red and a white. The hostess <?> told her which wines she wanted her to
>> bring, and they expensive. Never mind that this friend rarely drinks
>> and that her husband does not drink at all, they were looking at
>> $175-200 to buy the items she was asked to contribute to the hostess'
>> husband's birthday party. She made up an excuse to make it to the party.
>>

> Do I dare ask what wifey was contributing to this feast and the others
> as well?

I never knew that, but our friend talked to some of the other neighbours
and it seems that they had been asked to make similar contributions.
One said that as soon as she heard what she was expected to bring she
declined the invitation.

> Please tell me she told her friend to take a flying leap.

She is not the type to do that. She called back to check the date and
realized they already had something going on that night.

It is a pretty good scam for throwing a big, lavish party. Nothing but
the best ingredients, and all at the expense of your friends and
neighbours. FWIW, the birthday boy was a chef. If he is used to
partying like that he must be liberating the goodies from his restaurant
because most chefs don't make enough to entertain like that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 07:57:44 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 9:13:10 AM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>
>> In the USA a "recepton" where the food is being contributed by some or
>> all of the guests or attendees, it can easily be construed as a
>> potluck. It doesn't matter whether its comprised of appetizes, main
>> dishes or desserts. If it's catered or all provided by one source
>> (family, company, etc.) then it's simply a reception of some sort.
>> There are numerous references on the Internet to "potluck receptionss".
>> Regardless of what Tert calls it, in my book it still sounds like a
>> potluck.
>>

>Maybe I'm wrong but I've always considered any reception, get together,
>gathering, etc. when you are requested to bring a dish of your choosing
>a potluck. If he's told to bring a specific dish, and you're told to
>bring a specific dish, Jill is told to bring a specific dish, Cheri is
>also told to bring a certain dish, and I'm told to bring a certain dish,
>then no, I would not call that a potluck.

In Upstate NY when a church celebrates something and all its
parishiners/sheeple bring a dish they call that a "Feed". I've
attended a few but most of the food is not cooked, typically a lot of
salads and plenty sandwiches made with cheapo bologna and Kraft
singles, There's yallow mustard and mayo. Salads are tossed garden,
slaws, tater, and pasta.. only thing is to me all are inedable 'cause
they load em up with raw onyun. Some bring a large tureen of
excellent baked beans. Dont get me wrong, I like raw onion in a
garden salad, only not when it was prepped the night before and the
onyun reeks... I do not appreciate onyun in slaws, tater, and pasta
salads... 'specially when prepped the day before. They do set out
huge tubs of ice filled with soft drinks and brewskis. They set up
tables in the church side yard, saw horses and plywood, with
mismatched tablecloths, any passerbys are welcome... an Upstate Feed
has lots of food. Oh, and a lot of baked items too... I'm not much
for pies (I detest pie crust) but I can pig out on sticky buns. My
third wife was from upstate NY, Little Falls, her family lived there
so we visited often and attended many Feeds. Only thing I miss about
her are her sticky buns.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 1:11:09 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> It is a pretty good scam for throwing a big, lavish party. Nothing but
> the best ingredients, and all at the expense of your friends and
> neighbours. FWIW, the birthday boy was a chef. If he is used to
> partying like that he must be liberating the goodies from his restaurant
> because most chefs don't make enough to entertain like that.

If wifey wanted to throw him a lavish party then she should have opted
for some fancy restaurant they had not visited before; her idea, her
expense. But you know some people have more nerve than a bum tooth.

If I were the friend and asked to fork over that much money for items,
I'd have to say this is just getting out of hand and I'm going to have
to decline. Husband being a chef would have made me uncomfortable as
I'd feel like he was critiquing everything on the table.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 2:18:51 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> In Upstate NY when a church celebrates something and all its
> parishiners/sheeple bring a dish they call that a "Feed". I've
> attended a few but most of the food is not cooked, typically a lot of
> salads and plenty sandwiches made with cheapo bologna and Kraft
> singles, There's yallow mustard and mayo. Salads are tossed garden,
> slaws, tater, and pasta.. only thing is to me all are inedable 'cause
> they load em up with raw onyun. Some bring a large tureen of
> excellent baked beans. Dont get me wrong, I like raw onion in a
> garden salad, only not when it was prepped the night before and the
> onyun reeks... I do not appreciate onyun in slaws, tater, and pasta
> salads... 'specially when prepped the day before.

Yes, onion can be rather potent in some salad type dishes. When I make
potato or tuna salad I've found a small to medium small shallot is just
right. Very mild onion flavor that doesn't take over the whole dish and
I chop it rather fine, too. An added benefit to shallots is you don't
wake up with 'dragon breath' the next morning.

A year or two ago I made potato salad and had a brain fart and forgot to
buy a shallot. But I did have fresh chives on hand and snipped a bit
more than a tablespoon into the bowl. It was the perfect amount and
perfect flavoring, too, and made the dish rather purty as well.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 9:18:51 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> In Upstate NY when a church celebrates something and all its
> parishiners/sheeple bring a dish they call that a "Feed". I've
> attended a few but most of the food is not cooked, typically a lot of
> salads and plenty sandwiches made with cheapo bologna and Kraft
> singles, There's yallow mustard and mayo. Salads are tossed garden,
> slaws, tater, and pasta.. only thing is to me all are inedable 'cause
> they load em up with raw onyun. Some bring a large tureen of
> excellent baked beans. Dont get me wrong, I like raw onion in a
> garden salad, only not when it was prepped the night before and the
> onyun reeks... I do not appreciate onyun in slaws, tater, and pasta
> salads... 'specially when prepped the day before. They do set out
> huge tubs of ice filled with soft drinks and brewskis. They set up
> tables in the church side yard, saw horses and plywood, with
> mismatched tablecloths, any passerbys are welcome... an Upstate Feed
> has lots of food. Oh, and a lot of baked items too... I'm not much
> for pies (I detest pie crust) but I can pig out on sticky buns. My
> third wife was from upstate NY, Little Falls, her family lived there
> so we visited often and attended many Feeds. Only thing I miss about
> her are her sticky buns.

So the concept that beggars can't be choosers is just a quaint old-fashioned notion? It's a good thing you didn't have to pay for any of that feed. Praise the Lord!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 3:41 PM, wrote:
> On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 1:11:09 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> It is a pretty good scam for throwing a big, lavish party. Nothing but
>> the best ingredients, and all at the expense of your friends and
>> neighbours. FWIW, the birthday boy was a chef. If he is used to
>> partying like that he must be liberating the goodies from his restaurant
>> because most chefs don't make enough to entertain like that.
>>

> If wifey wanted to throw him a lavish party then she should have opted
> for some fancy restaurant they had not visited before; her idea, her
> expense. But you know some people have more nerve than a bum tooth.

So true. I was stunned by the magnitude of the request. I don't know
what it costs for a beef tenderloin where you live, but around here at
the time you would be lucky to find on on sale for less than $60. Two of
those and another $60 for wine? .... and that was just one of the people
she was invited to cater her party.

> If I were the friend and asked to fork over that much money for items,
> I'd have to say this is just getting out of hand and I'm going to have
> to decline. Husband being a chef would have made me uncomfortable as
> I'd feel like he was critiquing everything on the table.

Funny thing is..... a person who would have the nerve to expect that
from a neighbour she hardly knows would probably feel entitled to be
upset that her invitation had been declined.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2018 4:34 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> So true.Â* I was stunned by the magnitude of the request.Â* I don't know
> what it costs for a beef tenderloin where you live, but around here at
> the time you would be lucky to find on on sale for less than $60. Two of
> those and another $60 for wine? .... and that was just one of the people
> she was invited to cater her party.

That's a funny thing, like people having a gathering at a restaurant
and the 'guests' are expected to pick up the tab. You can't say you're
the one throwing the party, it's the guests who wind up being the hosts.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" wrote in message ...

On 3/17/2018 4:34 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

> So true. I was stunned by the magnitude of the request. I don't know
> what it costs for a beef tenderloin where you live, but around here at the
> time you would be lucky to find on on sale for less than $60. Two of those
> and another $60 for wine? .... and that was just one of the people she was
> invited to cater her party.

That's a funny thing, like people having a gathering at a restaurant
and the 'guests' are expected to pick up the tab. You can't say you're
the one throwing the party, it's the guests who wind up being the hosts.

nancy

==

It is not something I have ever come across If I did, they certainly
wouldn't be allowed to take advantage like that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Sat 17 Mar 2018 01:59:52p, Ophelia told us...
>

>> "Nancy Young" wrote in message
>>
>> On 3/17/2018 4:34 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>> So true. I was stunned by the magnitude of the request. I don't
>>> know what it costs for a beef tenderloin where you live, but
>>> around here at the time you would be lucky to find on on sale for
>>> less than $60. Two of those and another $60 for wine? .... and
>>> that was just one of the people she was invited to cater her
>>> party.

>> That's a funny thing, like people having a gathering at a
>> restaurant and the 'guests' are expected to pick up the tab. You
>> can't say you're the one throwing the party, it's the guests who
>> wind up being the hosts.
>>
>> nancy
>>
>> ==
>>
>> It is not something I have ever come across If I did, they
>> certainly wouldn't be allowed to take advantage like that!
>>

> I've only had that happen to me once and I replied that I wouldn't be
> ble to do that. There's no point in being somebody's fool.

I was at a BBQ event that was publicized as "hosted by so and so". We
show up, and they are taking money per head. OK, no biggie, but I later
told them exactly what "hosted" meant, and to advertise properly next time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 9:18:51 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> In Upstate NY when a church celebrates something and all its
>> parishiners/sheeple bring a dish they call that a "Feed". I've
>> attended a few but most of the food is not cooked, typically a lot of
>> salads and plenty sandwiches made with cheapo bologna and Kraft
>> singles, There's yallow mustard and mayo. Salads are tossed garden,
>> slaws, tater, and pasta.. only thing is to me all are inedable 'cause
>> they load em up with raw onyun. Some bring a large tureen of
>> excellent baked beans. Dont get me wrong, I like raw onion in a
>> garden salad, only not when it was prepped the night before and the
>> onyun reeks... I do not appreciate onyun in slaws, tater, and pasta
>> salads... 'specially when prepped the day before. They do set out
>> huge tubs of ice filled with soft drinks and brewskis. They set up
>> tables in the church side yard, saw horses and plywood, with
>> mismatched tablecloths, any passerbys are welcome... an Upstate Feed
>> has lots of food. Oh, and a lot of baked items too... I'm not much
>> for pies (I detest pie crust) but I can pig out on sticky buns. My
>> third wife was from upstate NY, Little Falls, her family lived there
>> so we visited often and attended many Feeds. Only thing I miss about
>> her are her sticky buns.

> So the concept that beggars can't be choosers is just a quaint old-fashioned notion? It's a good thing you didn't have to pay for any of that feed. Praise the Lord!

Most of those upstate nooyawk church shendigs are ***/homosexual
affairs. Mostly friendly get togethers by innocent people. Not for sex,
just friendship.

Penfart crashes those gatherings. One day this crude man is going to
prison for the hate stuff he does.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 3:37:12 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:

> Most of those upstate nooyawk church shendigs are ***/homosexual
> affairs. Mostly friendly get togethers by innocent people. Not for sex,
> just friendship.
>
> Penfart crashes those gatherings. One day this crude man is going to
> prison for the hate stuff he does.

It's fairly obvious that these things ain't about the food - mostly it's for the fellowship and sharing. Some goofballs must mistake it for a wine/cheese tasting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 18:22:42 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 17 Mar 2018 10:36:10a, Dave Smith told us...
>
>> On 2018-03-17 10:57 AM, wrote:

>>> Maybe I'm wrong but I've always considered any reception, get
>>> together, gathering, etc. when you are requested to bring a dish
>>> of your choosing a potluck. If he's told to bring a specific
>>> dish, and you're told to bring a specific dish, Jill is told to
>>> bring a specific dish, Cheri is also told to bring a certain
>>> dish, and I'm told to bring a certain dish, then no, I would not
>>> call that a potluck.
>>>

>> I don't think you are wrong. Even if you are asked to bring a
>> dessert, a salad, an appetizer..... as long as the dish is not
>> specifically named, they get what you bring.... potluck.
>>
>> This is different from the party that my brother's friends were
>> invited to. After accepting the invitation she was asked to bring
>> specific items. She was asked to bring two roasted beef
>> tenderloins. Note that was two entire roasted loins. She was
>> also asked two bottles of wine, a red and a white. The hostess <?>
>> told her which wines she wanted her to bring, and they expensive.
>> Never mind that this friend rarely drinks and that her husband
>> does not drink at all, they were looking at $175-200 to buy the
>> items she was asked to contribute to the hostess' husband's
>> birthday party. She made up an excuse to make it to the party.

>If I were askeed to bring all of that, I certainl would not have
>gone. That's unreasonable, and being taken advantage of.

If I were asked to bring something like that, I would have arranged to
be a last-minute no-show.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 19:02:17 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 3:37:12 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:
>>
>> Most of those upstate nooyawk church shendigs are ***/homosexual
>> affairs. Mostly friendly get togethers by innocent people. Not for sex,
>> just friendship.
>>
>> Penfart crashes those gatherings. One day this crude man is going to
>> prison for the hate stuff he does.

>It's fairly obvious that these things ain't about the food - mostly it's for the fellowship and sharing. Some goofballs must mistake it for a wine/cheese tasting.

Hank the crank is into peepee tasting.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2018 10:06 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 18:22:42 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> On Sat 17 Mar 2018 10:36:10a, Dave Smith told us...
>>

>>> This is different from the party that my brother's friends were
>>> invited to. After accepting the invitation she was asked to bring
>>> specific items. She was asked to bring two roasted beef
>>> tenderloins. Note that was two entire roasted loins. She was
>>> also asked two bottles of wine, a red and a white.

>> If I were askeed to bring all of that, I certainl would not have
>> gone. That's unreasonable, and being taken advantage of.

> If I were asked to bring something like that, I would have arranged to
> be a last-minute no-show.

Evil. I like the way you think! Heh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 10:06 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 18:22:42 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

>> If I were askeed to bring all of that, I certainl would not have
>> gone. That's unreasonable, and being taken advantage of.

> If I were asked to bring something like that, I would have arranged to
> be a last-minute no-show.

You probably would not be invite to another one there, but that would
just save you from having to make up an excuse.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Samstag, 17. März 2018 19:11:09 UTC+1 schrieb Dave Smith:
> On 2018-03-17 1:49 PM, wrote:
> > On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 12:33:46 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> >>
> >> This is different from the party that my brother's friends were invited
> >> to. After accepting the invitation she was asked to bring specific
> >> items. She was asked to bring two roasted beef tenderloins. Note that
> >> was two entire roasted loins. She was also asked two bottles of wine, a
> >> red and a white. The hostess <?> told her which wines she wanted her to
> >> bring, and they expensive. Never mind that this friend rarely drinks
> >> and that her husband does not drink at all, they were looking at
> >> $175-200 to buy the items she was asked to contribute to the hostess'
> >> husband's birthday party. She made up an excuse to make it to the party.
> >>

> > Do I dare ask what wifey was contributing to this feast and the others
> > as well?

> I never knew that, but our friend talked to some of the other neighbours
> and it seems that they had been asked to make similar contributions.
> One said that as soon as she heard what she was expected to bring she
> declined the invitation.
>

> > Please tell me she told her friend to take a flying leap.

> She is not the type to do that. She called back to check the date and
> realized they already had something going on that night.
>

> It is a pretty good scam for throwing a big, lavish party. Nothing but
> the best ingredients, and all at the expense of your friends and
> neighbours. FWIW, the birthday boy was a chef. If he is used to
> partying like that he must be liberating the goodies from his restaurant
> because most chefs don't make enough to entertain like that.

By the looks of it, he wanted to stock up the restaurant's pantry - why
else would a sane person demand those enormous amounts of food per
person?
Did the restaurant go out of business shortly afterwards? ;->

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Sonntag, 18. März 2018 03:06:13 UTC+1 schrieb Doris Night:
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 18:22:42 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

> >> I don't think you are wrong. Even if you are asked to bring a
> >> dessert, a salad, an appetizer..... as long as the dish is not
> >> specifically named, they get what you bring.... potluck.
> >>
> >> This is different from the party that my brother's friends were
> >> invited to. After accepting the invitation she was asked to bring
> >> specific items. She was asked to bring two roasted beef
> >> tenderloins. Note that was two entire roasted loins. She was
> >> also asked two bottles of wine, a red and a white. The hostess <?>
> >> told her which wines she wanted her to bring, and they expensive.
> >> Never mind that this friend rarely drinks and that her husband
> >> does not drink at all, they were looking at $175-200 to buy the
> >> items she was asked to contribute to the hostess' husband's
> >> birthday party. She made up an excuse to make it to the party.

> >If I were askeed to bring all of that, I certainl would not have
> >gone. That's unreasonable, and being taken advantage of.

> If I were asked to bring something like that, I would have arranged to
> be a last-minute no-show.

I would have given that "hostess" a fair share of my mind and certainly
wouldn't call her a friend.
With that amount of money, we'd rather spend a nice evening in a decent
restaurant and still will save some - even when entertaining some friends!

Bye, Sanne.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Taxed and Spent" wrote in message news
> On Sat 17 Mar 2018 01:59:52p, Ophelia told us...
>

>> "Nancy Young" wrote in message
>>
>> On 3/17/2018 4:34 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>>> So true. I was stunned by the magnitude of the request. I don't
>>> know what it costs for a beef tenderloin where you live, but
>>> around here at the time you would be lucky to find on on sale for
>>> less than $60. Two of those and another $60 for wine? .... and
>>> that was just one of the people she was invited to cater her
>>> party.

>> That's a funny thing, like people having a gathering at a
>> restaurant and the 'guests' are expected to pick up the tab. You
>> can't say you're the one throwing the party, it's the guests who
>> wind up being the hosts.
>>
>> nancy
>>
>> ==
>>
>> It is not something I have ever come across If I did, they
>> certainly wouldn't be allowed to take advantage like that!
>>

> I've only had that happen to me once and I replied that I wouldn't be
> ble to do that. There's no point in being somebody's fool.

I was at a BBQ event that was publicized as "hosted by so and so". We
show up, and they are taking money per head. OK, no biggie, but I later
told them exactly what "hosted" meant, and to advertise properly next time.

==

Good for you!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sanne" wrote in message

Am Sonntag, 18. März 2018 03:06:13 UTC+1 schrieb Doris Night:
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 18:22:42 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

> >> I don't think you are wrong. Even if you are asked to bring a
> >> dessert, a salad, an appetizer..... as long as the dish is not
> >> specifically named, they get what you bring.... potluck.
> >>
> >> This is different from the party that my brother's friends were
> >> invited to. After accepting the invitation she was asked to bring
> >> specific items. She was asked to bring two roasted beef
> >> tenderloins. Note that was two entire roasted loins. She was
> >> also asked two bottles of wine, a red and a white. The hostess <?>
> >> told her which wines she wanted her to bring, and they expensive.
> >> Never mind that this friend rarely drinks and that her husband
> >> does not drink at all, they were looking at $175-200 to buy the
> >> items she was asked to contribute to the hostess' husband's
> >> birthday party. She made up an excuse to make it to the party.

> >If I were askeed to bring all of that, I certainl would not have
> >gone. That's unreasonable, and being taken advantage of.

> If I were asked to bring something like that, I would have arranged to
> be a last-minute no-show.

I would have given that "hostess" a fair share of my mind and certainly
wouldn't call her a friend.
With that amount of money, we'd rather spend a nice evening in a decent
restaurant and still will save some - even when entertaining some friends!

Bye, Sanne.

==

Amen to that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doris Night wrote:

> On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 18:22:42 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

> >> I don't think you are wrong. Even if you are asked to bring a
> >> dessert, a salad, an appetizer..... as long as the dish is not
> >> specifically named, they get what you bring.... potluck.
> >>
> >> This is different from the party that my brother's friends were
> >> invited to. After accepting the invitation she was asked to bring
> >> specific items. She was asked to bring two roasted beef
> >> tenderloins. Note that was two entire roasted loins. She was
> >> also asked two bottles of wine, a red and a white. The hostess <?>
> >> told her which wines she wanted her to bring, and they expensive.
> >> Never mind that this friend rarely drinks and that her husband
> >> does not drink at all, they were looking at $175-200 to buy the
> >> items she was asked to contribute to the hostess' husband's
> >> birthday party. She made up an excuse to make it to the party.

> > If I were askeed to bring all of that, I certainl would not have
> > gone. That's unreasonable, and being taken advantage of.

> If I were asked to bring something like that, I would have arranged to
> be a last-minute no-show.
>
> Doris

I'd have told them no right up front. 'Thank you and we like you but I
don't have the time or money to handle that list I am requested to
bring'.

Simple, sends the point and isn't leaving them waiting for part of the
meal.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Doris Night wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 18:22:42 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > On Sat 17 Mar 2018 10:36:10a, Dave Smith told us...

>> > If I were askeed to bring all of that, I certainl would not have
>> > gone. That's unreasonable, and being taken advantage of.

>> If I were asked to bring something like that, I would have arranged to
>> be a last-minute no-show.
>>
>> Doris

> I'd have told them no right up front. 'Thank you and we like you but I
> don't have the time or money to handle that list I am requested to
> bring'.
>
> Simple, sends the point and isn't leaving them waiting for part of the
> meal.

I'm with you. No means no, no excuses needed. Sort of like the JW when they
come to the door, no reason to lie, be rude etc. Simply say no, I am not
interested.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-18 1:57 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Doris Night wrote:

> I'd have told them no right up front. 'Thank you and we like you but I
> don't have the time or money to handle that list I am requested to
> bring'.

You can skip the first part of the rejection. She barely knew the
hostess. AFAIK, she never had anything to do with her after that.

> Simple, sends the point and isn't leaving them waiting for part of the
> meal.

True perhaps, but if someone has the nerve to invite a person they
hardly know to attend a party and to provide close to $200 worth of
expensive beef and wine for her dinner party, she is setting herself up
for a huge disappointment. I not sure I could do that, but I sure
couldn't fault someone else for doing it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2018 1:53 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-03-17 11:19 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 10:57:49 AM UTC-4,
>> wrote:

>>> Maybe I'm wrong but I've always considered any reception, get together,
>>> gathering, etc. when you are requested to bring a dish of your choosing
>>> a potluck.Â* If he's told to bring a specific dish, and you're told to
>>> bring a specific dish, Jill is told to bring a specific dish, Cheri is
>>> also told to bring a certain dish, and I'm told to bring a certain dish,
>>> then no, I would not call that a potluck.

>> A potluck is where everybody brings something.Â* Tert's description
>> sounded
>> like a subset of the attendees were bringing something.Â* So, not a
>> potluck.
>>

> A potluck dinner would be one where everyone is expected to bring
> something, and the result is enough for everyone to have a complete
> meal... and leftovers. In that case, potluck is the adjective for the
> dinner.Â* That is different from a coordinated group dinner where people
> bring specific items.
>
> I know who potlucks work out in various situations.Â* A good friend used
> to have potluck dinner parties and he invited only people he knew who
> made interesting contributions.Â*Â* At the other end is people like Cheap
> Bob who was invited to a potluck BBQ along with a number of other
> friends. Other people brought nuns,

LOLOL They brought nuns? (just kidding)

Jill

salads, desserts etc.Â* Cheap Bob
> showed up with his brother, two sisters and their spouses, and one can
> of beer between them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2018 11:08 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 3/17/2018 10:06 PM, Doris Night wrote:
>> On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 18:22:42 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> On Sat 17 Mar 2018 10:36:10a, Dave Smith told us...

>>> If I were askeed to bring all of that, I certainl would not have
>>> gone.Â* That's unreasonable, and being taken advantage of.

>> If I were asked to bring something like that, I would have arranged to
>> be a last-minute no-show.

> Evil.Â* I like the way you think!Â* Heh.
>
> nancy

Evil, but fitting! I'm betting those beef tenderloins were intended to
be the crowning gem on the table. The hostess would wind up looking
like exactly what she was: an idiot. I wonder if she wrangled one of
the other guests into providing them?

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-19 3:01 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 19 Mar 2018 08:13:20a, jmcquown told us...
>

>> Evil, but fitting! I'm betting those beef tenderloins were
>> intended to be the crowning gem on the table. The hostess would
>> wind up looking like exactly what she was: an idiot. I wonder if
>> she wrangled one of the other guests into providing them?
>>
>> Jill
>>

> Given the attitude and greed of the hosts, I hope he affair was a
> collasal failure and embarrassmenet.

If our friend got herself out of the "invitation" and another neighbour
did the same, I wonder how many other friends she could manage to suck
into catering her lavish party for free. I might have liked to think
that she asked her to do the roast tenderloins because she had liked
them so much at our friend's house and really only wanted her to cook
them and would reimburse her for them. Her asking them to bring two
specific and expensive wines kills any thought of that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2018-03-18 1:57 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Doris Night wrote:

> > I'd have told them no right up front. 'Thank you and we like you
> > but I don't have the time or money to handle that list I am
> > requested to bring'.

> You can skip the first part of the rejection. She barely knew the
> hostess. AFAIK, she never had anything to do with her after that.
>
> > Simple, sends the point and isn't leaving them waiting for part of
> > the meal.

> True perhaps, but if someone has the nerve to invite a person they
> hardly know to attend a party and to provide close to $200 worth of
> expensive beef and wine for her dinner party, she is setting herself
> up for a huge disappointment. I not sure I could do that, but I sure
> couldn't fault someone else for doing it.

Well, if someone I barely knew sent an invite with that type of price
tag, I'd just have laughed (to myself) and politely refused.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-19 6:01 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 19 Mar 2018 02:47:55p, Dave Smith told us...
>

>> If our friend got herself out of the "invitation" and another
>> neighbour did the same, I wonder how many other friends she could
>> manage to suck into catering her lavish party for free. I might
>> have liked to think that she asked her to do the roast tenderloins
>> because she had liked them so much at our friend's house and
>> really only wanted her to cook them and would reimburse her for
>> them. Her asking them to bring two specific and expensive wines
>> kills any thought of that.
>>

> This "hostess" has probably done similar before. It's probabaly
> standare operating procedure for her.

Perhaps, but I cannot imagine it having worked well enough a first time
for her to have tried it a second time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, cshenk1
@cox.net says...
> Subject: Call it what you will...
> From: cshenk >
> Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
>
> Dave Smith wrote:
>
> > On 2018-03-18 1:57 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > > Doris Night wrote:

> > > I'd have told them no right up front. 'Thank you and we like you
> > > but I don't have the time or money to handle that list I am
> > > requested to bring'.

> > You can skip the first part of the rejection. She barely knew the
> > hostess. AFAIK, she never had anything to do with her after that.
> >
> > > Simple, sends the point and isn't leaving them waiting for part of
> > > the meal.

> > True perhaps, but if someone has the nerve to invite a person they
> > hardly know to attend a party and to provide close to $200 worth of
> > expensive beef and wine for her dinner party, she is setting herself
> > up for a huge disappointment. I not sure I could do that, but I sure
> > couldn't fault someone else for doing it.

> Well, if someone I barely knew sent an invite with that type of price
> tag, I'd just have laughed (to myself) and politely refused.

Nah, the best revenge would be to accept the invitation but not turn
up, (no warning, no notice) leaving the hostess high and dry at the last
minute with no beef or booze.

She'll never ask you again. Win-win.

Janet UK

---
http://www.avg.com

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Bruce wrote:
>> > Look at it this way: Gary's still on dial-up. He's paying $10 a month
>> > just to download Wayne's signatures.

>> I can see that this would be a major concern for you. If you are so
>> worried about Gary's dial-up costs to d/l Wayne's signatures you might
>> want to think about how much it costs him to download two dozen of your
>> posts each day that include a lot quoted text only to add a short
>> comment that you seem to have convinced yourself is quite brilliant.

> As I just said in previous message....I pay a set fee per month
> for unlimited internet access. I don't pay by bandwidth or by the
> hour. I have no problem with others writing or quoting long
> things. All should do pretty much want they want on usenet. If I
> happen to see a very long download coming, I don't sit here
> waiting for it. There's always something else around here to do.
> People adapt to what they have and I never miss what I don't
> have.

That's a great attitude Gary.

Cheri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Look at it this way: Gary's still on dial-up. He's paying $10 a month
> just to download Wayne's signatures.

Dial-up isn't that cheap and I still have it but probably not for
long. I also have neighborhood fast wifi but I don't trust it for
secure things....like bank account things. Even though it
requires a password and range is only about 1/2 block, there is
also about 24 people nearby that can use it.

Wayne's sig file doesn't affect me for download time. Simple
extra text sig amounts to .5 second if even that much. I do hate
seeing peoples same ol same ol sigs all the time though. It gets
old very fast. SF always used the same old (yawn) sig too.

You want to see some seriously annoying ones, goto a political
group or a kook group.

Anyway, my dial-up time doesn't affect me. I download full
messages all at one time and then can hang up the phone and read
and respond offline if I care to. Might take a few minutes to
download if I have many messages like 100+ but I just go do
something else while it's downloading. I never sit here tapping
my finger waiting for something long to come in.

Oh well...it's just what you get used to.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Bruce wrote:
> > Look at it this way: Gary's still on dial-up. He's paying $10 a month
> > just to download Wayne's signatures.

> I can see that this would be a major concern for you. If you are so
> worried about Gary's dial-up costs to d/l Wayne's signatures you might
> want to think about how much it costs him to download two dozen of your
> posts each day that include a lot quoted text only to add a short
> comment that you seem to have convinced yourself is quite brilliant.

As I just said in previous message....I pay a set fee per month
for unlimited internet access. I don't pay by bandwidth or by the
hour. I have no problem with others writing or quoting long
things. All should do pretty much want they want on usenet. If I
happen to see a very long download coming, I don't sit here
waiting for it. There's always something else around here to do.
People adapt to what they have and I never miss what I don't
have.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-21 1:03 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Mar 2018 09:55:38 -0400, Dave Smith

>> I can see that this would be a major concern for you. If you are so
>> worried about Gary's dial-up costs to d/l Wayne's signatures you might
>> want to think about how much it costs him to download two dozen of your
>> posts each day that include a lot quoted text only to add a short
>> comment that you seem to have convinced yourself is quite brilliant.

> How do you know that? Maybe I'm very insecure about the quality of my
> posts and that's why I keep practicing.

That's certainly possible. You have good reason to be. They are nowhere
near as funny or helpful as you seem to think they are.

Do not call James Silverton[_3_] General Cooking 170 17-10-2012 10:38 PM
call me JL[_3_] General Cooking 0 02-11-2010 09:25 PM
The Japanese call him "Filth Man". We just call him "Cappy the lying captard and proven shit eater". Sniper .308 General Cooking 0 08-02-2008 09:31 AM
MasterCook - don't call us, we'll call you.... cathyxyz General Cooking 2 10-10-2005 10:52 PM