Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What do you do with brown rice?

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 23:58:22 -0400, Doris Night
> wrote:

>On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 18:22:04 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>>My friend Susan fixes meals for from 7-15 every time. It's a big
>>extended family and they all live within 4-5 houses of each other.
>>While some of it is a family 'pot luck style' (where others take turns
>>bring things), they also contribute to the budget.
>>
>>As a result, Susan does a lot of 'cook once, eat many' type dishes.
>>Commonly ground beef will be cooked right away and drained then frozen
>>in suitable amounts. This not only in the long run saves time in her
>>case, but it also takes up less space since the fat has been drained
>>off.
>>
>>When cooking one ham, she says she's apt to cook a second at the same
>>time then break it down and freeze the 2nd one for other dishes.

>I do the ground beef thing. It's hard to find a package of ground beef
>less than 500 grams, and that's to much for us, so I'll fry it all up
>and freeze half for a different meal.

500 grams of ground beef is barely enough for two skimpy burgers for
us... I typically prepare 12 ounce burgers.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 4:27:06 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> 500 grams of ground beef is barely enough for two skimpy burgers for
> us... I typically prepare 12 ounce burgers.

That's appalling. Most gluttons would be satisfied with a half pound burger - in each hand.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 20 Mar 2018 10:34:20 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 4:27:06 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> 500 grams of ground beef is barely enough for two skimpy burgers for
>> us... I typically prepare 12 ounce burgers.

>That's appalling. Most gluttons would be satisfied with a half pound burger - in each hand.

You must be a very tiny wimp.

A 12 oz burger isn't much, after it's cooked it's like a cooked 12oz
steak, in fact that's what it's called at greasy spoons, a 12 oz
chopped steak... on the blue plate special it comes with a baked spud
and a veggie, usually includes a salad too.
We only get to eat about 3/4 of those 12 oz burgers because the cats
get a share too. I don't understand how those fast food joints
advertise 1/4 pounders like they're some big deal meal... to me a 1/4
pounder is a burger for a six year old... normal 8 year olds can eat
two w/fries no problem and can still down a shake.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 4:27:06 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> 500 grams of ground beef is barely enough for two skimpy burgers for
>> us... I typically prepare 12 ounce burgers.

> That's appalling. Most gluttons would be satisfied with a half pound burger - in each hand.

I guess he does this to fit the giant buns he bakes ... probably 8-10
inches wide.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, March 20, 2018 at 9:06:05 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> You must be a very tiny wimp.
>
> A 12 oz burger isn't much, after it's cooked it's like a cooked 12oz
> steak, in fact that's what it's called at greasy spoons, a 12 oz
> chopped steak... on the blue plate special it comes with a baked spud
> and a veggie, usually includes a salad too.
> We only get to eat about 3/4 of those 12 oz burgers because the cats
> get a share too. I don't understand how those fast food joints
> advertise 1/4 pounders like they're some big deal meal... to me a 1/4
> pounder is a burger for a six year old... normal 8 year olds can eat
> two w/fries no problem and can still down a shake.

Beats the heck out of me how yoose can guess my size by the fact that yoose make hamburgers of unreasonable proportions. Why the heck are yoose feeding dose cats ground and cooked meat? Does yoose hate cats?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Wherer is the lie? Do you want me to repost my Haiku about Baklava? That
>> one
>> the USA today Haiku contest. I'm sure Gary remembers it. Every response
>> that
>> I made after I posted it before was written as Haiku. He is the one that
>> told me to stop.

> haha Julie I *DO* remember that time when every response you
> made to all picking on you (mostly) was in Haiku format. That was
> quite a few years ago. You were cracking me up with that. I don't
> remember asking you to stop but if I did it was most likely said
> in the spirit of fun. Like someone being so funny that you beg
> them to stop so you can stop laughing. :-D
>
> Back on the Subject line. I went for about 2 years eating quite a
> bit of brown rice in various recipes. I finally got so damn sick
> of that taste that I quit and haven't bought any in quite a few
> years now. The few times I make rice now, it's just plain long
> grain white rice.
>
> About the only thing I use rice for lately is the occasional
> Chinese food or with stuffed peppers which is also a rarety here.

Yeah. I can't eat it every night. That's why I am looking for things to do
with it, so they won't get bored.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue 20 Mar 2018 02:44:51p, l not -l told us...
>penmart01 wrote:
>>dsi1 wrote:
>>>penmart wrote:
>>>
>>>500 grams of ground beef is barely enough for two skimpy
>>>burgers for us... I typically prepare 12 ounce burgers.

>>> You must be a very tiny wimp.
>>>
>>> A 12 oz burger isn't much, after it's cooked it's like a cooked
>>> 12oz steak, in fact that's what it's called at greasy spoons, a
>>> 12 oz chopped steak... on the blue plate special it comes with a
>>> baked spud
>>> and a veggie, usually includes a salad too.
>>> We only get to eat about 3/4 of those 12 oz burgers because the
>>> cats get a share too. I don't understand how those fast food
>>> joints advertise 1/4 pounders like they're some big deal meal...
>>> to me a 1/4
>>> pounder is a burger for a six year old... normal 8 year olds
>>> can eat
>>> two w/fries no problem and can still down a shake.

>> And that's why there is a childhood obesity problem.

Childhood obesity is primarily due to the only activity most kids do
is working a keyboard, and their parents making them play dates at an
arcade where they stuff their face.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-21 11:10 AM, wrote:
> On Tue 20 Mar 2018 02:44:51p, l not -l told us...

>>> And that's why there is a childhood obesity problem.

> Childhood obesity is primarily due to the only activity most kids do
> is working a keyboard, and their parents making them play dates at an
> arcade where they stuff their face.

There is no one thing that is responsible for childhood obesity. It is
usually a combination of two or more factors. High sugar and high fat
food certainly contributes to the problem. There is a lot of shelf space
devoted to soda pop, snack foods, candy and sugared cereals. Lack of
exercise denies the kids the opportunity to burn off those extra
calories. Activity develops muscle, which will help to burn off more.
Fit, well muscled children tend to enjoy exercise and will work harder
to be better.The unfit and overweight kids have to work so much harder
for half the accomplishment and lose interest.

Parents also keep a tight leash on their kids these days. The kids get
bored. We had bicycles and backpacks, so we went off on long hikes or
bicycle rides. We either came back for lunch or we packed a lunch, and
we had to be back for supper. Later on I had to be back for my paper
route. My neighour used to drive her kids to catch the school but... at
the end of their driveway, and she would drive down and wait for the
bus, even when they were in high school. Lucky them that they did not
have to walk that 125 yards.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/21/2018 11:26 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Parents also keep a tight leash on their kids these days. The kids get
> bored. We had bicycles and backpacks, so we went off on long hikes or
> bicycle rides.Â* We either came back for lunch or we packed a lunch, and
> we had to be back for supper. Later on I had to be back for my paper
> route. My neighour used to drive her kids to catch the school but... at
> the end of their driveway, and she would drive down and wait for the
> bus, even when they were in high school. Lucky them that they did not
> have to walk that 125 yards.

If younger kids stray from the front of the house parents are charged
with neglect. In MD, police investigated because kids walk home from school
http://wjla.com/news/local/silver-sp...e-alone-112094

When I was 8, I could go to my grandparents house by taking a bus,
train, then trolley. Today my parents would be arrested for letting me
go. At 10 we rode our bikes across a mile long bridge to another state
to visit a former class mate.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-21 11:57 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/21/2018 11:26 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> If younger kids stray from the front of the house parents are charged
> with neglect. In MD, police investigated because kids walk home
> from school
> http://wjla.com/news/local/silver-sp...e-alone-112094
>

> When I was 8, I could go to my grandparents house by taking a bus,
> train, then trolley. Today my parents would be arrested for letting
> me go. At 10 we rode our bikes across a mile long bridge to another
> state to visit a former class mate.

I was about that age when my mother drove me and my 5 year old brother
to Toronto and dropped us of off at the street car terminal in the west
end of city to go and visit with my grandparents who live up in what was
then the north east corner of the city. She had written down
instructions and telephone numbers in case we got into trouble.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 5:57:38 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> If younger kids stray from the front of the house parents are charged
> with neglect. In MD, police investigated because kids walk home from school
> http://wjla.com/news/local/silver-sp...e-alone-112094
>
> When I was 8, I could go to my grandparents house by taking a bus,
> train, then trolley. Today my parents would be arrested for letting me
> go. At 10 we rode our bikes across a mile long bridge to another state
> to visit a former class mate.

Things have certainly changed in a few decades. What's common in Japan would terrify most Westerners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkVvXVDs5aI
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-21 9:26 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Parents also keep a tight leash on their kids these days. The kids get
> bored. We had bicycles and backpacks, so we went off on long hikes or
> bicycle rides.Â* We either came back for lunch or we packed a lunch, and
> we had to be back for supper. Later on I had to be back for my paper
> route. My neighour used to drive her kids to catch the school but... at
> the end of their driveway, and she would drive down and wait for the
> bus, even when they were in high school. Lucky them that they did not
> have to walk that 125 yards.

Those days are long gone and ain't coming back. I was about 6 and my
sister about 4 when we wandered about a mile out of the village to watch
the village soccer team. We arrived home when it was almost dark, being
November, and although my parents were surprised about where we had
been, they weren't a bit worried.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 3/21/2018 11:26 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Parents also keep a tight leash on their kids these days. The kids get
>> bored. We had bicycles and backpacks, so we went off on long hikes or
>> bicycle rides. We either came back for lunch or we packed a lunch, and
>> we had to be back for supper. Later on I had to be back for my paper
>> route. My neighour used to drive her kids to catch the school but... at
>> the end of their driveway, and she would drive down and wait for the bus,
>> even when they were in high school. Lucky them that they did not have to
>> walk that 125 yards.
>>

> If younger kids stray from the front of the house parents are charged with
> neglect. In MD, police investigated because kids walk home from school
> http://wjla.com/news/local/silver-sp...e-alone-112094
>
> When I was 8, I could go to my grandparents house by taking a bus, train,
> then trolley. Today my parents would be arrested for letting me go. At
> 10 we rode our bikes across a mile long bridge to another state to visit a
> former class mate.

Yes, at 9 (me) and 11 (brother) we were at the river, running high bluffs
every day in the summer. Now, we laugh and say we wonder what our parents
could have been thinking, but that was pretty much the norm in the mid 50's.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 5:57:38 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> If younger kids stray from the front of the house parents are charged
> with neglect. In MD, police investigated because kids walk home from
> school
> http://wjla.com/news/local/silver-sp...e-alone-112094
>
> When I was 8, I could go to my grandparents house by taking a bus,
> train, then trolley. Today my parents would be arrested for letting me
> go. At 10 we rode our bikes across a mile long bridge to another state
> to visit a former class mate.

Things have certainly changed in a few decades. What's common in Japan would
terrify most Westerners.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkVvXVDs5aI

==

My life was pretty much the same as Ed describes when I was young. My boys
were allowed much more freedom in that way then my daughter was.

I doubt I would see that now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-21 11:28 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1"Â* wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 5:57:38 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> If younger kids stray from the front of the house parents are charged
>> with neglect.Â* In MD, police investigated because kids walk home from
>> school
>> http://wjla.com/news/local/silver-sp...e-alone-112094
>>

>> When I was 8, I could go to my grandparents house by taking a bus,
>> train, then trolley.Â* Today my parents would be arrested for letting me
>> go.Â* At 10 we rode our bikes across a mile long bridge to another state
>> to visit a former class mate.

> Things have certainly changed in a few decades. What's common in Japan
> would terrify most Westerners.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkVvXVDs5aI
>
> ==
>
> My life was pretty much the same as Ed describes when I was young.Â* My
> boys were allowed much more freedom in that way then my daughter was.
>
> I doubt I would see that now.

When I was young, not many people had cars so village communities like
mine were somewhat "enclosed". The village had a shoe shop and a shoe
repairer as well as a bicycle repair shop.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-21 11:28 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 5:57:38 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> If younger kids stray from the front of the house parents are charged
>> with neglect. In MD, police investigated because kids walk home from
>> school
>> http://wjla.com/news/local/silver-sp...e-alone-112094
>>
>> When I was 8, I could go to my grandparents house by taking a bus,
>> train, then trolley. Today my parents would be arrested for letting me
>> go. At 10 we rode our bikes across a mile long bridge to another state
>> to visit a former class mate.

> Things have certainly changed in a few decades. What's common in Japan
> would terrify most Westerners.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkVvXVDs5aI
>
> ==
>
> My life was pretty much the same as Ed describes when I was young. My
> boys were allowed much more freedom in that way then my daughter was.
>
> I doubt I would see that now.

When I was young, not many people had cars so village communities like
mine were somewhat "enclosed". The village had a shoe shop and a shoe
repairer as well as a bicycle repair shop.

==

Sounds very familiar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-21 1:04 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-03-21 9:26 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> Parents also keep a tight leash on their kids these days. The kids get
>> bored. We had bicycles and backpacks, so we went off on long hikes or
>> bicycle rides.Â* We either came back for lunch or we packed a lunch,
>> and we had to be back for supper. Later on I had to be back for my
>> paper route. My neighour used to drive her kids to catch the school
>> but... at the end of their driveway, and she would drive down and wait
>> for the bus, even when they were in high school. Lucky them that they
>> did not have to walk that 125 yards.
>>

> Those days are long gone and ain't coming back. I was about 6 and my
> sister about 4 when we wandered about a mile out of the village to watch
> the village soccer team. We arrived home when it was almost dark, being
> November, and although my parents were surprised about where we had
> been, they weren't a bit worried.

I said something to my mother years later about our long leash and she
said she always knew where we were. Okay. If she wanted to believe
that. I don't think she had any idea how far we roamed.

When I was a teen I used to hitchhike a lot. In my first year of high
school my best friend moved about 40 miles north of Toronto and a few
months later we moved down to Niagara. I used to hitchhike up there and
and back a couple times a month, usually going up Friday night and
returning Sunday night. On the weekends in between another friend and I
spent a lot of time in Toronto. I would tell my parents I was going
downtown. I think they assumed I meant downtown St.Catharines. Nope, it
was downtown Toronto.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Tue 20 Mar 2018 02:44:51p, l not -l told us...
>>penmart01 wrote:

>>> And that's why there is a childhood obesity problem.

> Childhood obesity is primarily due to the only activity most kids do
> is working a keyboard, and their parents making them play dates at an
> arcade where they stuff their face.

Arcade? Do they still have those?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"graham" > wrote in message
news
> On 2018-03-21 11:28 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>> On Wednesday, March 21, 2018 at 5:57:38 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>>
>>> If younger kids stray from the front of the house parents are charged
>>> with neglect. In MD, police investigated because kids walk home from
>>> school
>>> http://wjla.com/news/local/silver-sp...e-alone-112094
>>>
>>> When I was 8, I could go to my grandparents house by taking a bus,
>>> train, then trolley. Today my parents would be arrested for letting me
>>> go. At 10 we rode our bikes across a mile long bridge to another state
>>> to visit a former class mate.

>> Things have certainly changed in a few decades. What's common in Japan
>> would terrify most Westerners.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkVvXVDs5aI
>>
>> ==
>>
>> My life was pretty much the same as Ed describes when I was young. My
>> boys were allowed much more freedom in that way then my daughter was.
>>
>> I doubt I would see that now.
>>

> When I was young, not many people had cars so village communities like
> mine were somewhat "enclosed". The village had a shoe shop and a shoe
> repairer as well as a bicycle repair shop.

Within one block of my house we had a grocery store, supermarket, drug
store, plant nursery that also sold candle making supplies, coin op laundry,
7-11, KFC, dry cleaners, hair salon, gas station, dentist office and a
restaurant. There was another restaurant and library a block further. If you
were to go a little further but still less than a mile away, there were all
sorts of things. Two five and dimes, a department store, more supermarkets,
another drugstore, ice cream shop, donut shop, more restaurants and other
businesses. Also two movie theaters. I was quite spoiled.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Doris Night wrote:

> On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 18:22:04 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > My friend Susan fixes meals for from 7-15 every time. It's a big
> > extended family and they all live within 4-5 houses of each other.
> > While some of it is a family 'pot luck style' (where others take
> > turns bring things), they also contribute to the budget.
> >
> > As a result, Susan does a lot of 'cook once, eat many' type dishes.
> > Commonly ground beef will be cooked right away and drained then
> > frozen in suitable amounts. This not only in the long run saves
> > time in her case, but it also takes up less space since the fat has
> > been drained off.
> >
> > When cooking one ham, she says she's apt to cook a second at the
> > same time then break it down and freeze the 2nd one for other
> > dishes.

> I do the ground beef thing. It's hard to find a package of ground beef
> less than 500 grams, and that's to much for us, so I'll fry it all up
> and freeze half for a different meal.
>
> And I sometimes will pre-cook meat if I've had it out of the freezer
> for a bit too long. I got out a package of chicken breasts a couple of
> days ago and put them in the fridge. For various reasons, I didn't use
> them. So I diced them up and sauteed them, then stuck them in ziploc
> bags and put them back in the freezer.
>
> Doris

THat makes sense doris and is similar to what Susan does. I was at her
house once as we got back from a shopping trip. It was funny to watch 3
others use both her stove tops to brown down 10lbs of ground beef as we
split up some spices (we got a bulk set with some for each of us).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/18/2018 6:14 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> I don't think she has any objection to cooking brown rice. She just
>>> doesn't want to precook it for dishes like stuffed peppers.Â* Heaven
>>> only knows why she seems resistant to that.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> She certainly doesn't sound like she wants to cook the rice, for
>> whatever reason.
>>
>> For all her posts about rice, brown, white, whatever, it appears she
>> really has no idea what to do with it.Â* Except for "mexican rice" and
>> stuff like that.Â* Lots of beans involved.Â* Sorry but I don't live off
>> rice and beans.
>>
>> I've already told her as did you and others about rice pilaf.Â* It's
>> futile but fun!

> Pilaf is something I'm not too familiar with. I did have it in a
> restaurant once. Not sure what made it pilaf. Seemed like regular rice
> with perhaps some herbs in it. No veggies.

Look it up. There are tons of recipes for rice pilaf.

When it was suggested you cook rice and freeze it you wondered why. How
about that stir-fry you mentioned? Stir-fried rice is *never* made with
freshly cooked rice. Day old, refrigerated rice at best. If you want
to use brown, whatever... it would still be similar to day old rice if
thawed from frozen. Of course it is not normal to make stir-fry with
brown rice.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/18/2018 1:45 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "John Kuthe" > wrote in message
>> On Friday, March 16, 2018 at 5:09:08 AM UTC-5, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> I know. You'll probably say that you don't eat it. I also know that
>>> you can
>>> usually sub it for things you would put white rice in but for some
>>> things,
>>> you'd have to cook it first.
>>>
>>> For the most part, I seem to go back and forth between Asian dishes,
>>> such as
>>> fried rice or stir fries or Teriyaki with rice on the side. Or
>>> Mexican/Spanish type things. I either make it a main dish with beans and
>>> chicken or ground beef with appropriate seasonings, or as a side dish
>>> with
>>> some Mexican seasonings.
>>>
>>> I am wanting to branch out with it, such as side dishes. Steak is a real
>>> winner for a meal here so perhaps something that might go with that.
>>> I am
>>> thinking that things like Rici e Bisi (or however it's spelled) wouldn't
>>> work well with the brown rice.
>>>
>>> I do put it in soup, especially when there is just a little left
>>> over, and I
>>> intend to do vegetarian type sides with it such as peppers or zucchini
>>> stuffed with beans and rice and perhaps some cheese.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions? I don't have to eat it myself so anything goes,
>>> except for
>>> mushrooms or yogurt as those are not well liked here. Thanks!

>> I make big batches of brown rice, it's the only rice I cook and eat. I
>> cook up a big pot of it then cool it off and store it in the
>> refrigerator. I have a batch in there right now I just made yesterday.

> But what do you do with it?

I'm guessing, he waits for his Indian "roomates" do do something with it.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 3/18/2018 6:14 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> She certainly doesn't sound like she wants to cook the rice, for
>>> whatever reason.
>>>
>>> For all her posts about rice, brown, white, whatever, it appears she
>>> really has no idea what to do with it. Except for "mexican rice" and
>>> stuff like that. Lots of beans involved. Sorry but I don't live off rice
>>> and beans.
>>>
>>> I've already told her as did you and others about rice pilaf. It's
>>> futile but fun!

>> Pilaf is something I'm not too familiar with. I did have it in a
>> restaurant once. Not sure what made it pilaf. Seemed like regular rice
>> with perhaps some herbs in it. No veggies.

> Look it up. There are tons of recipes for rice pilaf.
>
> When it was suggested you cook rice and freeze it you wondered why. How
> about that stir-fry you mentioned? Stir-fried rice is *never* made with
> freshly cooked rice. Day old, refrigerated rice at best. If you want to
> use brown, whatever... it would still be similar to day old rice if thawed
> from frozen. Of course it is not normal to make stir-fry with brown rice.

Yes but since I am cooking rice nearly every day, I just cook extra when I
need to. I can put it in the fridge till the next day.

I did make a pilaf the other day. I couldn't eat it as it contained almonds.
I did try it for seasonings prior to the almonds and it was good. Was
chicken flavored with mushrooms and carrots. I used fresh mushrooms and far
fewer than it called for.

As for the "normal", do you really think I care? I once told someone that I
wouldn't know normal if it bit me. And that's true. Does anyone even really
know what normal is? I think it only matters when we are looking at
something to see if it might be dangerous or even unhealthy. Such as... It's
not normal to find rat poop in our container of rice. Or... It's not normal
for the cooked and refrigerated rice to be covered with fuzzy green mold.
AFAIK, nobody ever got sick from using brown rice in fried rice. In fact,
for this part of the country, that actually *is* fairly normal. Most of the
Asian restaurants offer brown rice now and will even make fried rice out of
it.

I forge my own way in the world. I do what is right for me and those around
me. I don't much care about normal.