Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Corned beef (sous vide)

>On 2018-03-13 3:28 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2018-03-13 2:20 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>> On Tuesday, March 13, 2018 at 12:54:54 PM UTC-4, Gary wrote:

>>> Because it's tasty. Of course, it's even better smoked as
>>> pastrami. I've pretty much given up corned beef in favor
>>> of pastrami. Granted, I've never liked corned beef except
>>> in sandwiches. "New England Boiled Dinner" was one of my
>>> childhood scourges.

>> Despite being part Irish, I have never been able to celebrate St.
>> Patrick's Day with the traditional corned beef, boiled potatoes and
>> cabbage dinner because, quite frankly, the whole thing sucks.
>>
>> Since everyone else these days reserves the right to be offended, I am
>> going to express my disapproval of people using the day honouring a
>> blessed saint

In the US there really isn't much Irish about how the day is
celebrated, for one thing there is nothing Irish about corned
beef and cabbage.

https://www.history.com/news/hungry-...-and-meatballs
http://www.delish.com/food/news/a389...cks-day-foods/

I posted this some 15 years ago:
Corned Beef & Cabbage

Choose a good grade of thin-cut corned beef (I prefer Nathan's).
Cook in the largest pot you own. Seriously, cook in lots of water.
First, rinse corned beef and and discard spices if present (old spices
were used up), or save spice packet if present. Start in cold water.
Bring to the boil (uncovered). Simmer 1/2 hour, dump water! Yes,
discarding water removes excess salt/nitrites. Okay, now the actual
cooking begins. Start in cold water (again? yes, again!). Add spice
packet (if none exists or since you dumped the first batch, add new
pickling spices (use a mesh tea ball to make removal easy). Bring to
the boil, lower heat to low simmer. Simmer aproximately 1 hour and
add peeled carrots (whole) and unpeeled potatoes (whole), bring to
simmer again and add cabbage wedges. Simmer til veggies are tender
and remove. Continue simmering til corned beef is tender yet firm;
test with fork (your forking may vary). Remove corned beef to roasting
pan fat side up, cover liberally with brown sugar, tent loosely with
foil, and place in 325 F oven for 30-45 minutes. Remove corned beef
from oven (now place veggies in oven to reheat). Let corned beef rest
uncovered 15 minutes. With sharp knife slice thinly accross grain, and
serve with veggies, mustard, and beer.
---

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 10:46:21 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>> In the US there really isn't much Irish about how the day is
>> celebrated, for one thing there is nothing Irish about corned
>> beef and cabbage.

>There may not be much Irish about it, but it has become a North American
>tradition for many people to eat it on St. Patrick's Day.

Most all holiday foods that became traditional were not always so,
because those foods were not available where the holiday originated.
Most Eastern Europeans eat potato dishes on holidays but not until
they arrived from the New World.

>It is also an excuse for people to go out and get drunk.

That's a falsehood, drunks need no excuse.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 07:44:35 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>>> In the US there really isn't much Irish about how the day is
>>> celebrated, for one thing there is nothing Irish about corned
>>> beef and cabbage.

>> There may not be much Irish about it, but it has become a North American
>> tradition for many people to eat it on St. Patrick's Day. It is also an
>> excuse for people to go out and get drunk.

>Some people don't need an excuse.
>
>Cheri

Drunks never need an excuse, Cheri.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/14/2018 11:01 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> In the US there really isn't much Irish about how the day is
>>> celebrated, for one thing there is nothing Irish about corned
>>> beef and cabbage.

>> There may not be much Irish about it, but it has become a North
>> American tradition for many people to eat it on St. Patrick's Day.
>> It is also an excuse for people to go out and get drunk.
>>

> I know more people who do not go out and get drunk than those who do.
> AFAIC, there's no correlation between drinking and eating corned beef
> and cabbage. That's just silly. Just because you don't like it
> doesn't make it so.

Most don't but the few that do seem to make the news. There are drunken
slobs at just about every holiday celebration shown on TV

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> There may not be much Irish about it, but it has become a North American
>>> tradition for many people to eat it on St. Patrick's Day. It is also an
>>> excuse for people to go out and get drunk.

>> Some people don't need an excuse.
>>
>> Cheri

> Drunks never need an excuse, Cheri.

Sure lets all jump on the denial train. I said that it has become a
North American tradition for people to eat corned beef and cabbage and
an excuse to go out and get drunk.

According to this site:
https://wallethub.com/blog/st-patricks-day-facts/10960/

- 60% of Americans plan to celebrate St.Patrick's Day.

- $5.9 Billion will be spent on St. Patrick's Day

- The average spent on celebrations will be $40

- 83% of celebrants will be wearing green.

- it is the 4th most popular drinking celebration.

- there will be 13 million pints of Guiness consumed.

- 152% more beer is sold on St.Patrick's Day than usual.

- 819% more Guiness is sold than usual.

- 75% of fatal car crashes on St. Patrick's involved a driver with
double the legal alcohol level.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 15:01:49 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>>> In the US there really isn't much Irish about how the day is
>>> celebrated, for one thing there is nothing Irish about corned
>>> beef and cabbage.

>> There may not be much Irish about it, but it has become a North
>> American tradition for many people to eat it on St. Patrick's Day.
>> It is also an excuse for people to go out and get drunk.
>>

>I know more people who do not go out and get drunk than those who do.
>AFAIC, there's no correlation between drinking and eating corned beef
>and cabbage.

A typical sot's commentary/alibi.
Everyone who goes out on St. Paddy's day to eat cornbeef and cabbage
also gets loaded because only gin mills serve corned beef and cabbage,
and usually all one can eat for free... just buy the booze. Same with
the Kraut's Octoberfest, free sauerbraten with the booze they buy.
Btw, not much difference between corned beef and sauerbraten.
It's always the drunks who make commentary that everyone else is a
drunk... a Sot's Rationalization.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-14 10:33 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> -Â* 60% of Americans plan to celebrate St.Patrick's Day.
>
> -Â* $5.9 Billion will be spent on St. Patrick's Day
>
> - The average spent on celebrations will be $40
>
> - 83% of celebrants will be wearing green.

Not Me!!!
I'll wear orange!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

$40... what a bunch of cheap *******s.

>> - 83% of celebrants will be wearing green.
>>

>Not Me!!!
>I'll wear orange!

I've never gone out on St. Paddy's Day, nor do I celebrate the
holiday. Even when I cook corned beef at home it's not a celebration.
No one I know eats corned beef... I'd be the only one which is why I
didn't bother last year nor will I bother this year.
At home I'll wear my usual navy blue sweat pants with whatevr color
tee shirt is on top of the heap. I don't own any green clothing...
the only green I use is Irish Spring Soap, Mennen After Shave, & US
Dollars.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-14 12:51 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-03-14 10:33 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>

>> -Â* 60% of Americans plan to celebrate St.Patrick's Day.
>>
>> -Â* $5.9 Billion will be spent on St. Patrick's Day
>>
>> - The average spent on celebrations will be $40
>>
>> - 83% of celebrants will be wearing green.
>>

> Not Me!!!
> I'll wear orange!

There is an old joke about a guy who wore his Orangeman regalia to a
St.Patrick's Day parade.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-14 10:33 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> - 83% of celebrants will be wearing green.

Clothing made from old potato sacks would be more appropriate! :-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Mittwoch, 14. März 2018 17:46:09 UTC+1 schrieb Sheldon:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 15:01:49 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

> >> There may not be much Irish about it, but it has become a North
> >> American tradition for many people to eat it on St. Patrick's Day.
> >> It is also an excuse for people to go out and get drunk.
> >>

> >I know more people who do not go out and get drunk than those who do.
> >AFAIC, there's no correlation between drinking and eating corned beef
> >and cabbage.

> A typical sot's commentary/alibi.
> Everyone who goes out on St. Paddy's day to eat cornbeef and cabbage
> also gets loaded because only gin mills serve corned beef and cabbage,
> and usually all one can eat for free... just buy the booze. Same with
> the Kraut's Octoberfest, free sauerbraten with the booze they buy.
> Btw, not much difference between corned beef and sauerbraten.
> It's always the drunks who make commentary that everyone else is a
> drunk... a Sot's Rationalization.

Lol.

Show me one beer tent that serves Sauerbraten at the Oktoberfest - let
alone all you can eat and for free. And as you talk about "Krauts",
you have to refer to the Munich original - otherwise, you'd have to
call Trump a "Kraut", too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 13:28:22 -0700 (PDT), sanne
> wrote:

>Am Mittwoch, 14. März 2018 17:46:09 UTC+1 schrieb Sheldon:
>> On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 15:01:49 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >On Wed 14 Mar 2018 07:46:21a, Dave Smith told us...

>> >I know more people who do not go out and get drunk than those who do.
>> >AFAIC, there's no correlation between drinking and eating corned beef
>> >and cabbage.

>> A typical sot's commentary/alibi.
>> Everyone who goes out on St. Paddy's day to eat cornbeef and cabbage
>> also gets loaded because only gin mills serve corned beef and cabbage,
>> and usually all one can eat for free... just buy the booze. Same with
>> the Kraut's Octoberfest, free sauerbraten with the booze they buy.
>> Btw, not much difference between corned beef and sauerbraten.
>> It's always the drunks who make commentary that everyone else is a
>> drunk... a Sot's Rationalization.

>Lol.
>
>Show me one beer tent that serves Sauerbraten at the Oktoberfest - let
>alone all you can eat and for free. And as you talk about "Krauts",
>you have to refer to the Munich original - otherwise, you'd have to
>call Trump a "Kraut", too.

Shelley has no clue what's going on in his own country, let alone in
other countries.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, March 14, 2018 at 5:51:54 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 13:28:22 -0700 (PDT), sanne
> > wrote:
>
> >Am Mittwoch, 14. März 2018 17:46:09 UTC+1 schrieb Sheldon:
> >> On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 15:01:49 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

> >> A typical sot's commentary/alibi.
> >> Everyone who goes out on St. Paddy's day to eat cornbeef and cabbage
> >> also gets loaded because only gin mills serve corned beef and cabbage,
> >> and usually all one can eat for free... just buy the booze. Same with
> >> the Kraut's Octoberfest, free sauerbraten with the booze they buy.
> >> Btw, not much difference between corned beef and sauerbraten.
> >> It's always the drunks who make commentary that everyone else is a
> >> drunk... a Sot's Rationalization.

> >Lol.
> >
> >Show me one beer tent that serves Sauerbraten at the Oktoberfest - let
> >alone all you can eat and for free. And as you talk about "Krauts",
> >you have to refer to the Munich original - otherwise, you'd have to
> >call Trump a "Kraut", too.

> Shelley has no clue what's going on in his own country, let alone in
> other countries.

I'd like to think that he's talking about German-American and
Irish-American festivals in the U.S. Still, he's wrong. The food
isn't free.

He's also wrong about corned beef and cabbage being served only in
"gin mills" on St. Patrick's day. Many restaurants serve it as
a special on March 17. Some restaurants serve it every day.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 03:20:37 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, March 14, 2018 at 5:51:54 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 13:28:22 -0700 (PDT), sanne
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Show me one beer tent that serves Sauerbraten at the Oktoberfest - let
>> >alone all you can eat and for free. And as you talk about "Krauts",
>> >you have to refer to the Munich original - otherwise, you'd have to
>> >call Trump a "Kraut", too.

>> Shelley has no clue what's going on in his own country, let alone in
>> other countries.

>I'd like to think that he's talking about German-American and
>Irish-American festivals in the U.S. Still, he's wrong. The food
>isn't free.

Yes, you might be right. That's very America-centric thinking, though.
When discussing German food and culture, I'd look at Germany, not at
the US.

>He's also wrong about corned beef and cabbage being served only in
>"gin mills" on St. Patrick's day. Many restaurants serve it as
>a special on March 17. Some restaurants serve it every day.

I think his brain stopped taking in new information in the 50s or 60s.
All his misconceptions and prejudices seem to date from that era.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sanne" wrote in message

Am Mittwoch, 14. März 2018 17:46:09 UTC+1 schrieb Sheldon:
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 15:01:49 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

> >> There may not be much Irish about it, but it has become a North
> >> American tradition for many people to eat it on St. Patrick's Day.
> >> It is also an excuse for people to go out and get drunk.
> >>

> >I know more people who do not go out and get drunk than those who do.
> >AFAIC, there's no correlation between drinking and eating corned beef
> >and cabbage.

> A typical sot's commentary/alibi.
> Everyone who goes out on St. Paddy's day to eat cornbeef and cabbage
> also gets loaded because only gin mills serve corned beef and cabbage,
> and usually all one can eat for free... just buy the booze. Same with
> the Kraut's Octoberfest, free sauerbraten with the booze they buy.
> Btw, not much difference between corned beef and sauerbraten.
> It's always the drunks who make commentary that everyone else is a
> drunk... a Sot's Rationalization.

Lol.

Show me one beer tent that serves Sauerbraten at the Oktoberfest - let
alone all you can eat and for free. And as you talk about "Krauts",
you have to refer to the Munich original - otherwise, you'd have to
call Trump a "Kraut", too.

==

Do you make it? If so, will you share the recipe, please?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Donnerstag, 15. März 2018 11:35:40 UTC+1 schrieb Ophelia:
> "sanne" wrote in message
>
> Am Mittwoch, 14. März 2018 17:46:09 UTC+1 schrieb Sheldon:
> > On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 15:01:49 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >On Wed 14 Mar 2018 07:46:21a, Dave Smith told us...

> > >I know more people who do not go out and get drunk than those who do.
> > >AFAIC, there's no correlation between drinking and eating corned beef
> > >and cabbage.

> > A typical sot's commentary/alibi.
> > Everyone who goes out on St. Paddy's day to eat cornbeef and cabbage
> > also gets loaded because only gin mills serve corned beef and cabbage,
> > and usually all one can eat for free... just buy the booze. Same with
> > the Kraut's Octoberfest, free sauerbraten with the booze they buy.
> > Btw, not much difference between corned beef and sauerbraten.
> > It's always the drunks who make commentary that everyone else is a
> > drunk... a Sot's Rationalization.

> Lol.
>
> Show me one beer tent that serves Sauerbraten at the Oktoberfest - let
> alone all you can eat and for free. And as you talk about "Krauts",
> you have to refer to the Munich original - otherwise, you'd have to
> call Trump a "Kraut", too.
>
> ==
>
> Do you make it? If so, will you share the recipe, please?

Rarely - I use one recipe for poultry necks more often.
The original (Rheinischer) Sauerbraten was to turn the dead horses from a
battlefield into something palatable for a starving population...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerbraten - just skip the ginger... ;-)

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sanne" wrote in message

Am Donnerstag, 15. März 2018 11:35:40 UTC+1 schrieb Ophelia:
> "sanne" wrote in message
>
> Am Mittwoch, 14. März 2018 17:46:09 UTC+1 schrieb Sheldon:
> > On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 15:01:49 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > > wrote:
> >
> > >On Wed 14 Mar 2018 07:46:21a, Dave Smith told us...

> > >I know more people who do not go out and get drunk than those who do.
> > >AFAIC, there's no correlation between drinking and eating corned beef
> > >and cabbage.

> > A typical sot's commentary/alibi.
> > Everyone who goes out on St. Paddy's day to eat cornbeef and cabbage
> > also gets loaded because only gin mills serve corned beef and cabbage,
> > and usually all one can eat for free... just buy the booze. Same with
> > the Kraut's Octoberfest, free sauerbraten with the booze they buy.
> > Btw, not much difference between corned beef and sauerbraten.
> > It's always the drunks who make commentary that everyone else is a
> > drunk... a Sot's Rationalization.

> Lol.
>
> Show me one beer tent that serves Sauerbraten at the Oktoberfest - let
> alone all you can eat and for free. And as you talk about "Krauts",
> you have to refer to the Munich original - otherwise, you'd have to
> call Trump a "Kraut", too.
>
> ==
>
> Do you make it? If so, will you share the recipe, please?

Rarely - I use one recipe for poultry necks more often.
The original (Rheinischer) Sauerbraten was to turn the dead horses from a
battlefield into something palatable for a starving population...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerbraten - just skip the ginger... ;-)

Bye, Sanne.

==

Hmm thanks. Unfortunately we don't get any dead horses where I am ... ;p

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Donnerstag, 15. März 2018 14:29:04 UTC+1 schrieb Ophelia:
> "sanne" wrote in message
>
> Am Donnerstag, 15. März 2018 11:35:40 UTC+1 schrieb Ophelia:
> > "sanne" wrote in message
> >
> > Am Mittwoch, 14. März 2018 17:46:09 UTC+1 schrieb Sheldon:
> > > On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 15:01:49 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

> > > A typical sot's commentary/alibi.
> > > Everyone who goes out on St. Paddy's day to eat cornbeef and cabbage
> > > also gets loaded because only gin mills serve corned beef and cabbage,
> > > and usually all one can eat for free... just buy the booze. Same with
> > > the Kraut's Octoberfest, free sauerbraten with the booze they buy.
> > > Btw, not much difference between corned beef and sauerbraten.
> > > It's always the drunks who make commentary that everyone else is a
> > > drunk... a Sot's Rationalization.

> > Lol.
> >
> > Show me one beer tent that serves Sauerbraten at the Oktoberfest - let
> > alone all you can eat and for free. And as you talk about "Krauts",
> > you have to refer to the Munich original - otherwise, you'd have to
> > call Trump a "Kraut", too.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Do you make it? If so, will you share the recipe, please?

> Rarely - I use one recipe for poultry necks more often.
> The original (Rheinischer) Sauerbraten was to turn the dead horses from a
> battlefield into something palatable for a starving population...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerbraten - just skip the ginger... ;-)

> Bye, Sanne.
>
> ==
>
> Hmm thanks. Unfortunately we don't get any dead horses where I am ... ;p

Nah - they're too dumped up with drugs nowadays...
Use beef instead.

Bye, Sanne.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sauerbraten (WAS: Corned beef (sous vide) )

On 3/15/2018 9:53 AM, sanne wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 15. März 2018 14:29:04 UTC+1 schrieb Ophelia:
>>

>>> Do you make it? If so, will you share the recipe, please?

>> Rarely - I use one recipe for poultry necks more often.
>> The original (Rheinischer) Sauerbraten was to turn the dead horses from a
>> battlefield into something palatable for a starving population...
>>
>> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerbraten - just skip the ginger... ;-)
>>
>> Bye, Sanne.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Hmm thanks. Unfortunately we don't get any dead horses where I am ... ;p

> Nah - they're too dumped up with drugs nowadays...
> Use beef instead.
>
> Bye, Sanne.

Dead horse history aside , the only sauerbraten I've ever had was made
using a rump roast. As the article indicates, it's a great way to cook
a rather tough cut of beef. The red wine vinegar and wine and long
marinating serves to tenderize the beef.

Since you mention ginger it looks like you go with (according to the
wiki link) the alleged "less commonly" used spices in the marinade. I'm
sure the marinate I had included the first batch: "peppercorns, juniper
berries, cloves, nutmeg, and bay leaves". Aside from the peppercorns,
I'm not sure what other spices she'd need to omit.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Am Donnerstag, 15. März 2018 15:21:42 UTC+1 schrieb Jill McQuown:

> >> Rarely - I use one recipe for poultry necks more often.
> >> The original (Rheinischer) Sauerbraten was to turn the dead horses from a
> >> battlefield into something palatable for a starving population...
> >>
> >> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerbraten - just skip the ginger... ;-)
> >>
> >> Bye, Sanne.
> >>
> >> ==
> >>
> >> Hmm thanks. Unfortunately we don't get any dead horses where I am ... ;p

> > Nah - they're too dumped up with drugs nowadays...
> > Use beef instead.
> >
> > Bye, Sanne.
> >

> Dead horse history aside , the only sauerbraten I've ever had was made
> using a rump roast. As the article indicates, it's a great way to cook
> a rather tough cut of beef. The red wine vinegar and wine and long
> marinating serves to tenderize the beef.
>
> Since you mention ginger it looks like you go with (according to the
> wiki link) the alleged "less commonly" used spices in the marinade. I'm
> sure the marinate I had included the first batch: "peppercorns, juniper
> berries, cloves, nutmeg, and bay leaves". Aside from the peppercorns,
> I'm not sure what other spices she'd need to omit.

Nope; I go with the common spices except for the juniper berries - all-spice
works fine here - and the nutmeg. Love it elsewhere.

Bye, Sanne.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2018 10:21 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 3/15/2018 9:53 AM, sanne wrote:

>>> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerbraten - just skip the ginger...
>>> ;-)
>>>
>>> Bye, Sanne.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Hmm thanks.Â* Unfortunately we don't get any dead horses where I am
>>> ... ;p

>> Nah - they're too dumped up with drugs nowadays...
>> Use beef instead.
>>
>> Bye, Sanne.
>>

> Dead horse history aside , the only sauerbraten I've ever had was made
> using a rump roast.Â* As the article indicates, it's a great way to cook
> a rather tough cut of beef.Â* The red wine vinegar and wine and long
> marinating serves to tenderize the beef.
>
> Since you mention ginger it looks like you go with (according to the
> wiki link) the alleged "less commonly" used spices in the marinade.Â* I'm
> sure the marinate I had included the first batch: "peppercorns, juniper
> berries, cloves, nutmeg, and bay leaves".Â* Aside from the peppercorns,
> I'm not sure what other spices she'd need to omit.
>
> Jill

No dead horses here either, but I do like rump roast for pot roast.
I'll have to give this a try. I'd use a little ginger, but it would be
light.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 sanne wrote:

>Nah - they're too dumped up with drugs nowadays...
>Use beef instead.
>
>Bye, Sanne.

I was preparing to cook a dead horse for St. Paddy's Day:
https://postimg.org/image/4lijq8odn/
A dead horse needs a big pot:
https://postimg.org/image/y22r6q4sr/
Cooked some dead cow too:
https://postimg.org/image/c2wcjo8kr/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 10:30:50 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> Nah - they're too dumped up with drugs nowadays...
>>> Use beef instead.
>>>
>>> Bye, Sanne.
>>>

>> Dead horse history aside , the only sauerbraten I've ever had was made
>> using a rump roast.* As the article indicates, it's a great way to cook
>> a rather tough cut of beef.* The red wine vinegar and wine and long
>> marinating serves to tenderize the beef.
>>
>> Since you mention ginger it looks like you go with (according to the
>> wiki link) the alleged "less commonly" used spices in the marinade.* I'm
>> sure the marinate I had included the first batch: "peppercorns, juniper
>> berries, cloves, nutmeg, and bay leaves".* Aside from the peppercorns,
>> I'm not sure what other spices she'd need to omit.
>>
>> Jill

>No dead horses here either, but I do like rump roast for pot roast.
>I'll have to give this a try. I'd use a little ginger, but it would be
>light.

I remember cooking sauerbraten with a gravy that included ginger
snaps.
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...auerbraten-863

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sanne" wrote in message

Am Donnerstag, 15. März 2018 14:29:04 UTC+1 schrieb Ophelia:
> "sanne" wrote in message
>
> Am Donnerstag, 15. März 2018 11:35:40 UTC+1 schrieb Ophelia:
> > "sanne" wrote in message
> >
> > Am Mittwoch, 14. März 2018 17:46:09 UTC+1 schrieb Sheldon:
> > > On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 15:01:49 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

> > > A typical sot's commentary/alibi.
> > > Everyone who goes out on St. Paddy's day to eat cornbeef and cabbage
> > > also gets loaded because only gin mills serve corned beef and cabbage,
> > > and usually all one can eat for free... just buy the booze. Same with
> > > the Kraut's Octoberfest, free sauerbraten with the booze they buy.
> > > Btw, not much difference between corned beef and sauerbraten.
> > > It's always the drunks who make commentary that everyone else is a
> > > drunk... a Sot's Rationalization.

> > Lol.
> >
> > Show me one beer tent that serves Sauerbraten at the Oktoberfest - let
> > alone all you can eat and for free. And as you talk about "Krauts",
> > you have to refer to the Munich original - otherwise, you'd have to
> > call Trump a "Kraut", too.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Do you make it? If so, will you share the recipe, please?

> Rarely - I use one recipe for poultry necks more often.
> The original (Rheinischer) Sauerbraten was to turn the dead horses from a
> battlefield into something palatable for a starving population...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerbraten - just skip the ginger... ;-)

> Bye, Sanne.
>
> ==
>
> Hmm thanks. Unfortunately we don't get any dead horses where I am ... ;p

Nah - they're too dumped up with drugs nowadays...
Use beef instead.

Bye, Sanne.

==

Righteo ;-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> "sanne" wrote:
> The original (Rheinischer) Sauerbraten was to turn the dead horses from a
> battlefield into something palatable for a starving population...
>
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerbraten - just skip the ginger... ;-)
>
> Bye, Sanne.
>
> ==
>
> Hmm thanks. Unfortunately we don't get any dead horses where I am ... ;p

Contact Sheldon. He occasionally has some available when he puts
his leftover dinners out in the yard for the critters to eat.....
http://www.hostpic.org/images/1711242248520094.jpg

:-D

==

Awwwwwwww
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "sanne" wrote:
> The original (Rheinischer) Sauerbraten was to turn the dead horses from a
> battlefield into something palatable for a starving population...
>
> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerbraten - just skip the ginger... ;-)
>
> Bye, Sanne.
>
> ==
>
> Hmm thanks. Unfortunately we don't get any dead horses where I am ... ;p

Contact Sheldon. He occasionally has some available when he puts
his leftover dinners out in the yard for the critters to eat.....
http://www.hostpic.org/images/1711242248520094.jpg

:-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> I remember cooking sauerbraten with a gravy that included ginger
> snaps.

TIAD ! No wonder they kicked you out of the navy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 14:08:40 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> Hmm thanks. Unfortunately we don't get any dead horses where I am ... ;p

>Contact Sheldon. He occasionally has some available when he puts
>his leftover dinners out in the yard for the critters to eat.....
> http://www.hostpic.org/images/1711242248520094.jpg
>
> :-D

Talking about dead horses... Here's a horse that was attacked by feral
dogs. It had to be put down:

http://oi65.tinypic.com/2jbt7ba.jpg

If only Gary was here to eat those dogs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 14:08:40 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "sanne" wrote:
>> The original (Rheinischer) Sauerbraten was to turn the dead horses from a
>> battlefield into something palatable for a starving population...
>>
>> https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerbraten - just skip the ginger... ;-)
>>
>> Bye, Sanne.
>> ==
>> Hmm thanks. Unfortunately we don't get any dead horses where I am ... ;p

>Contact Sheldon. He occasionally has some available when he puts
>his leftover dinners out in the yard for the critters to eat.....
> http://www.hostpic.org/images/1711242248520094.jpg
>
> :-D

Went into town today to get my ears lowered... stopped at Tops Market
and bought a 3 lb package of plump chicken breasts at $1.99/lb...
Mishe was trying mightily to steal some, he made me proud, he's
obviously a breast man. Trimmed away the fatty parts for the crows
and sliced each into three cutlets... Miche will get some manana.
Meanwhile my wife returned from her watercolor painting class up near
Albany with a big carton filled with Chinese from The Golden Coin...
Miche and Jilly ate most of the pork bits from my chow mein and fly
lice.... cats have squinty eyes so they are obviously the original
Asians.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 14:08:40 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> "sanne" wrote:
>>> The original (Rheinischer) Sauerbraten was to turn the dead horses from a
>>> battlefield into something palatable for a starving population...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sauerbraten - just skip the ginger... ;-)

>>> Bye, Sanne.
>>> ==
>>> Hmm thanks. Unfortunately we don't get any dead horses where I am ... ;p

>> Contact Sheldon. He occasionally has some available when he puts
>> his leftover dinners out in the yard for the critters to eat.....
>> http://www.hostpic.org/images/1711242248520094.jpg
>>
>> :-D

> Went into town today to get my ears lowered... stopped at Tops Market
> and bought a 3 lb package of plump chicken breasts at $1.99/lb...
> Mishe was trying mightily to steal some, he made me proud, he's
> obviously a breast man. Trimmed away the fatty parts for the crows
> and sliced each into three cutlets... Miche will get some manana.
> Meanwhile my wife returned from her watercolor painting class up near
> Albany with a big carton filled with Chinese from The Golden Coin...
> Miche and Jilly ate most of the pork bits from my chow mein and fly
> lice.... cats have squinty eyes so they are obviously the original
> Asians.

OOOh. I bet yoose ejaculated at tops market when yoose seen dem
breastes. Cleanup on Aisle 4 !

Did yoose wife watercolor paint some breasts for yoose? Bet yoose
squirted again. Here's a towel, Popeye. Wipe that little wet nub off
before it drips on yoose brand new pantaloons.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Ophelia
> wrote:

> Hmm thanks. Unfortunately we don't get any dead horses where I am ... ;p

Surely a horse drops dead somewhere near you occasionally, doesn't one?
Maybe a pony? Or a stillborn foal? Mmm...sauerbraten ;-)

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" wrote in message

In article >, Ophelia
> wrote:

> Hmm thanks. Unfortunately we don't get any dead horses where I am ... ;p

Surely a horse drops dead somewhere near you occasionally, doesn't one?
Maybe a pony? Or a stillborn foal? Mmm...sauerbraten ;-)

leo

==

Not seen one lately but will keep an eye open ...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "sanne" wrote in message
>
> Am Mittwoch, 14. März 2018 17:46:09 UTC+1 schrieb Sheldon:
> > On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 15:01:49 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed 14 Mar 2018 07:46:21a, Dave Smith told us...

> > > I know more people who do not go out and get drunk than those who
> > > do. AFAIC, there's no correlation between drinking and eating
> > > corned beef and cabbage.

> > A typical sot's commentary/alibi.
> > Everyone who goes out on St. Paddy's day to eat cornbeef and cabbage
> > also gets loaded because only gin mills serve corned beef and
> > cabbage, and usually all one can eat for free... just buy the
> > booze. Same with the Kraut's Octoberfest, free sauerbraten with
> > the booze they buy. Btw, not much difference between corned beef
> > and sauerbraten. It's always the drunks who make commentary that
> > everyone else is a drunk... a Sot's Rationalization.

> Lol.
>
> Show me one beer tent that serves Sauerbraten at the Oktoberfest - let
> alone all you can eat and for free. And as you talk about "Krauts",
> you have to refer to the Munich original - otherwise, you'd have to
> call Trump a "Kraut", too.
>
> ==
>
> Do you make it? If so, will you share the recipe, please?

MMMMM----------------CYBEREALM BBS (315)786-1120---------------------
* * * * *
5 lb Corned beef brisket
1 lg Onion stuck with 6 whole -
-cloves
6 Carrots, peeled and sliced
8 Potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 ts Dried Thyme
1 sm Bunch Parsley
1 Head Cabbage (about 2 lbs)-
-cut in quarters
* * * * * *

MMMMM---------------------HORSERADISH SAUCE--------------------------
1/2 pt Whipping Cream
2 tb -to 3T prepared horseradish

Put beef in a large pot and cover with cold water. Add all other
ingredients except cabbage and bring to a boil with the lid off the
pot. Turn to simmer and cook for 3 hours. Skim fat from top as it
rises. Remove the thyme, parsley and onion. Add cabbage. Simmer for
20 minutes until cabbage is cooked. Remove the meat and cut into
pieces. Place on center of a large platter. Strain the cabbage and
season it heavily with black pepper. Surround the beef with the
cabbage, carrots and potatoes. Serve with horseradish sauce.

Horseradish Sauce: Whip cream until it stand in peaks. Fold in
horseradish.

Source: "The Cookin' O'The Green" - February '94 edition - Family
magazine

Typed for you by Lois Flack, CYBEREALM BBS, Watertown, NY.

File
ftp://ftp.idiscover.co.uk/pub/food/m...s/mmcyber4.zip

MMMMM

I skipped the sauce part. Not required.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> "sanne" wrote in message
>
> Am Mittwoch, 14. März 2018 17:46:09 UTC+1 schrieb Sheldon:
> > On Wed, 14 Mar 2018 15:01:49 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
> >
> > > On Wed 14 Mar 2018 07:46:21a, Dave Smith told us...

> > > I know more people who do not go out and get drunk than those who
> > > do. AFAIC, there's no correlation between drinking and eating
> > > corned beef and cabbage.

> > A typical sot's commentary/alibi.
> > Everyone who goes out on St. Paddy's day to eat cornbeef and cabbage
> > also gets loaded because only gin mills serve corned beef and
> > cabbage, and usually all one can eat for free... just buy the
> > booze. Same with the Kraut's Octoberfest, free sauerbraten with
> > the booze they buy. Btw, not much difference between corned beef
> > and sauerbraten. It's always the drunks who make commentary that
> > everyone else is a drunk... a Sot's Rationalization.

> Lol.
>
> Show me one beer tent that serves Sauerbraten at the Oktoberfest - let
> alone all you can eat and for free. And as you talk about "Krauts",
> you have to refer to the Munich original - otherwise, you'd have to
> call Trump a "Kraut", too.
>
> ==
>
> Do you make it? If so, will you share the recipe, please?

MMMMM----------------CYBEREALM BBS (315)786-1120---------------------
* * * * *
5 lb Corned beef brisket
1 lg Onion stuck with 6 whole -
-cloves
6 Carrots, peeled and sliced
8 Potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 ts Dried Thyme
1 sm Bunch Parsley
1 Head Cabbage (about 2 lbs)-
-cut in quarters
* * * * * *

MMMMM---------------------HORSERADISH SAUCE--------------------------
1/2 pt Whipping Cream
2 tb -to 3T prepared horseradish

Put beef in a large pot and cover with cold water. Add all other
ingredients except cabbage and bring to a boil with the lid off the
pot. Turn to simmer and cook for 3 hours. Skim fat from top as it
rises. Remove the thyme, parsley and onion. Add cabbage. Simmer for
20 minutes until cabbage is cooked. Remove the meat and cut into
pieces. Place on center of a large platter. Strain the cabbage and
season it heavily with black pepper. Surround the beef with the
cabbage, carrots and potatoes. Serve with horseradish sauce.

Horseradish Sauce: Whip cream until it stand in peaks. Fold in
horseradish.

Source: "The Cookin' O'The Green" - February '94 edition - Family
magazine

Typed for you by Lois Flack, CYBEREALM BBS, Watertown, NY.

File
ftp://ftp.idiscover.co.uk/pub/food/m...s/mmcyber4.zip

MMMMM

I skipped the sauce part. Not required.

==

Thank you My brisket is lounging in the fridge in a curing mix of my own
devising <g> It is destined for the sous vide in a few days time. But
yours was most interesting, thank you

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > "sanne" wrote in message
> >
> > Am Mittwoch, 14. März 2018 17:46:09 UTC+1 schrieb Sheldon:

> Day. >>>> It is also an excuse for people to go out and get drunk.

> >> A typical sot's commentary/alibi.
> >> Everyone who goes out on St. Paddy's day to eat cornbeef and

> cabbage >> also gets loaded because only gin mills serve corned beef
> and >> cabbage, and usually all one can eat for free... just buy the
> >> booze. Same with the Kraut's Octoberfest, free sauerbraten with
> >> the booze they buy. Btw, not much difference between corned beef
> >> and sauerbraten. It's always the drunks who make commentary that
> >> everyone else is a drunk... a Sot's Rationalization.

> > Lol.
> >
> > Show me one beer tent that serves Sauerbraten at the Oktoberfest -
> > let alone all you can eat and for free. And as you talk about
> > "Krauts", you have to refer to the Munich original - otherwise,
> > you'd have to call Trump a "Kraut", too.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Do you make it? If so, will you share the recipe, please?

> MMMMM----------------CYBEREALM BBS (315)786-1120---------------------
> * * * * *
> 5 lb Corned beef brisket
> 1 lg Onion stuck with 6 whole -
> -cloves
> 6 Carrots, peeled and sliced
> 8 Potatoes, peeled and cubed
> 1 ts Dried Thyme
> 1 sm Bunch Parsley
> 1 Head Cabbage (about 2 lbs)-
> -cut in quarters
> * * * * * *
>
> MMMMM---------------------HORSERADISH SAUCE--------------------------
> 1/2 pt Whipping Cream
> 2 tb -to 3T prepared horseradish
>
> Put beef in a large pot and cover with cold water. Add all other
> ingredients except cabbage and bring to a boil with the lid off the
> pot. Turn to simmer and cook for 3 hours. Skim fat from top as it
> rises. Remove the thyme, parsley and onion. Add cabbage. Simmer for
> 20 minutes until cabbage is cooked. Remove the meat and cut into
> pieces. Place on center of a large platter. Strain the cabbage and
> season it heavily with black pepper. Surround the beef with the
> cabbage, carrots and potatoes. Serve with horseradish sauce.
>
> Horseradish Sauce: Whip cream until it stand in peaks. Fold in
> horseradish.
>
> Source: "The Cookin' O'The Green" - February '94 edition - Family
> magazine
>
> Typed for you by Lois Flack, CYBEREALM BBS, Watertown, NY.
>
> File

ftp://ftp.idiscover.co.uk/pub/food/m...s/mmcyber4.zip

> MMMMM
>

> I skipped the sauce part. Not required.
>
> ==
>
> Thank you My brisket is lounging in the fridge in a curing mix of
> my own devising <g> It is destined for the sous vide in a few days
> time. But yours was most interesting, thank you

Welcome! It was very simple to pull together and the flavor was very
good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote:

> [...]

> season it heavily with black pepper. Surround the beef with the
> cabbage, carrots and potatoes. Serve with horseradish sauce.
>
> Horseradish Sauce: Whip cream until it stand in peaks. Fold in
> horseradish.
>
> Source: "The Cookin' O'The Green" - February '94 edition - Family
> magazine
>
> Typed for you by Lois Flack, CYBEREALM BBS, Watertown, NY.
>
> File

ftp://ftp.idiscover.co.uk/pub/food/m...s/mmcyber4.zip

> MMMMM
>

> I skipped the sauce part. Not required.
>
> ==
>
> Thank you My brisket is lounging in the fridge in a curing mix of
> my own devising <g> It is destined for the sous vide in a few days
> time. But yours was most interesting, thank you

Welcome! It was very simple to pull together and the flavor was very

I shall keep it for another time It is 'corned beef'? I didn't know it
could have cream in it.

I was actually asking Sanne for her Sauerbraten recipe, was that
Sauerbraten??