Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default not a potluck

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 3/18/2018 3:11 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 2:54:01 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
>>>
>>> Military pot lucks aren't the only ones that add plastic utentils, etc.
>>> to potluck signup sheets. The civilian corporate world does it, too.
>>> Reason being, no one should have to bring their own eating utensils from
>>> their home/barracks (don't tell me no one has a field mess kit) to the
>>> "work" pot luck.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Our company always has boxes of plastic flatware in the break room.
>>

> As the departments expanded the company started providing the utensils,
> paper plates, etc. The folks who didn't cook had to figure something else
> out.
>
>> One bachelor who worked for the company for 50 years always brought
>> pickles to the potlucks.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

> At least he brought something. There was always one guy who never
> contributed anything but sure ate his share of the food! This was the
> same guy who would wander around to the various other departments every
> morning just in case someone somewhere had brought donuts.
>
> Jill

There's usually at least one in every crowd.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.avg.com

>It doesn't matter to me what word she used. All I know is that she's
>looking for food suggestions. My suggestions would be appropriate for a
>clown party or a public hanging i.e., light finger foods.

I'm not a a she

and the subject says "not a pot luck"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>"jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> On 3/17/2018 10:16 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Sat 17 Mar 2018 07:04:22a, Nancy Young told us...

>>> In most places I've lived it was not uncommon to request that someone
>>> bring a particlar category of food so as not to over duplicate. In
>>> fact in some cases I've seen sign-up lists for a persons name and
>>> what they planned to bring.
>>>

>> That's the way the pot lucks (not fancy enough to be called "receptions")
>> at the office were conducted. Without categories there would have been an
>> over-abundance of desserts. Ours were the sign-up list sort of thing.
>>
>> I can't figure out if tert is being *told* what category or what. I
>> missed a huge thing - his original post. LOL

>I think only some people were asked to bring things.

Everyone is being asked to bring something. The categories are appetizer
(finger food), dessert, non-alcoholic beverage, and alcoholic beverage.

It's a reception following a musical performance next Sunday March 25.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-19 10:09 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>> At least he brought something.Â* There was always one guy who never
>> contributed anything but sure ate his share of the food!Â* This was the
>> same guy who would wander around to the various other departments
>> every morning just in case someone somewhere had brought donuts.
>>
>> Jill

> There's usually at least one in every crowd.

I worked in an all male environment, so that sort of thing rarely
happened. One guy's wife loved to back so he would occasionally bring in
some cookies. We had one guy who would have been running around your guy
to look for freebies. Andy would drive for miles to meet up with us at
meal time. He would always order way more food than us, and when it came
time to pay he never had enough money to pay his bill. We started asking
him before he joined us if he had money, and he still managed to order
more than he could afford. It got so bad that we started making him show
us his money before we let him come along. We were on expense accounts,
so it's not like he was actually going to have to pay for his food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-19 1:08 PM, tert in seattle wrote:
> writes:

>>> That's the way the pot lucks (not fancy enough to be called "receptions")
>>> at the office were conducted. Without categories there would have been an
>>> over-abundance of desserts. Ours were the sign-up list sort of thing.
>>>
>>> I can't figure out if tert is being *told* what category or what. I
>>> missed a huge thing - his original post. LOL

>> I think only some people were asked to bring things.

> Everyone is being asked to bring something. The categories are appetizer
> (finger food), dessert, non-alcoholic beverage, and alcoholic beverage.
>
> It's a reception following a musical performance next Sunday March 25.

So when people show up with whatever they made for the reception, each
bringing enough for 25, you will know what they made. That sounds a lot
like potluck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 7:10:06 AM UTC-10, tert in seattle wrote:

> I'm not a a she
>
> and the subject says "not a pot luck"

I don't need any help in deciphering and reading the subject line and I still don't care what word you used. Sorry about the mistaken sexual identity, dude.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:

>>> Everyone is being asked to bring something. The categories are
>>> appetizer (finger food), dessert, non-alcoholic beverage, and
>>> alcoholic beverage.
>>>
>>> It's a reception following a musical performance next Sunday
>>> March 25.
>>>

>> So when people show up with whatever they made for the reception,
>> each bringing enough for 25, you will know what they made. That
>> sounds a lot like potluck.

Canadians!

>I would love it if 25 pies shows up at this affair. It doesn't sound
>very well organized.
>
>For Tert: Have you finalized what you're going to take yet? When
>I'm faced with this sort of thing and the selections were not
>specified, I will make up my mind within the first day or two what
>I'm going to bring. My recipe software, Mastercok, has a database of

huhuhuhuhuh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 6:01:09 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > Our company always has boxes of plastic flatware in the break
> > > room.
> > >
> > > One bachelor who worked for the company for 50 years always
> > > brought pickles to the potlucks.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > Were they good tasting pickles?

> Just regular jarred pickles. I'm not sure I ever tasted them.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Ah but those can be good too!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 3/18/2018 3:11 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> > On Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 2:54:01 PM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:
> > >
> > > Military pot lucks aren't the only ones that add plastic
> > > utentils, etc. to potluck signup sheets. The civilian corporate
> > > world does it, too. Reason being, no one should have to bring
> > > their own eating utensils from their home/barracks (don't tell me
> > > no one has a field mess kit) to the "work" pot luck.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > Our company always has boxes of plastic flatware in the break room.
> >

> As the departments expanded the company started providing the
> utensils, paper plates, etc. The folks who didn't cook had to figure
> something else out.
>
> > One bachelor who worked for the company for 50 years always brought
> > pickles to the potlucks.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> At least he brought something. There was always one guy who never
> contributed anything but sure ate his share of the food! This was
> the same guy who would wander around to the various other departments
> every morning just in case someone somewhere had brought donuts.
>
> Jill

LOL!

Me, I randomly bring fresh bread of various types. Folks crawl out of
the woodwork then but I don't mind.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2018-03-19 10:09 AM, Cheri wrote:
> >"jmcquown" > wrote in message

> > > At least he brought something.Â* There was always one guy who
> > > never contributed anything but sure ate his share of the food!Â*
> > > This was the same guy who would wander around to the various
> > > other departments every morning just in case someone somewhere
> > > had brought donuts.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > There's usually at least one in every crowd.

> I worked in an all male environment, so that sort of thing rarely
> happened. One guy's wife loved to back so he would occasionally bring
> in some cookies. We had one guy who would have been running around
> your guy to look for freebies. Andy would drive for miles to meet up
> with us at meal time. He would always order way more food than us,
> and when it came time to pay he never had enough money to pay his
> bill. We started asking him before he joined us if he had money, and
> he still managed to order more than he could afford. It got so bad
> that we started making him show us his money before we let him come
> along. We were on expense accounts, so it's not like he was actually
> going to have to pay for his food.

WOW, odd that one! Then again, I'm in my first job that is mostly male
(I'm actually the only female of 10 that does my specific job). I think
we run about 5% female across the set of some 50 of us. No, not
sexism, just a field that requires specific experience and few woman
have the 20+ years at it yet to get these senior jobs. Anyways, the
guys bring in random stuff too but it't usually from the grocery store.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/19/2018 9:55 AM, jmcquown wrote:

> At least he brought something.Â* There was always one guy who never
> contributed anything but sure ate his share of the food!Â* This was the
> same guy who would wander around to the various other departments every
> morning just in case someone somewhere had brought donuts.

Somehow we worked with the Same Guy. How he found free food even
in the next building, I'll never know. But he'd brag that his
contribution to whatever food thing was a pound cake ... because
he could find a mix for $1.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

So funny that I came across this column today:

Office Potlucks Attract More Eaters Than Contributors
Mar 19, 2018 -

DEAR ABBY: This may seem minor in the scheme of things, but it's driving
me crazy. Occasionally we have a potluck day at work. The problem is,
while there are always people who eat, others never bring food to share.
It's usually the men in our office -- those who hold higher positions
and make far more money than the rest of us. They are also the ones who
eat the most. They go back for seconds before the rest of us have eaten.
If they do occasionally bring anything, it's usually a bag of chips.

I'm tired of paying for their lunches when they are more than capable of
providing something -- takeout from a deli or even asking their wives to
help. I'm also tired of going to get my lunch and discovering most of
the food is already gone. I would welcome your advice or any tips your
readers may have. -- FED UP IN DES MOINES

DEAR FED UP: Try this: Assign a list of what people need to bring to the
potluck so there won't be duplication. And when you do, specify that
only those who participate can eat the food.

POTLUCK No Name General Cooking 6 05-07-2007 07:20 AM
Mail-in Potluck bulka General Cooking 4 15-12-2006 06:18 AM
Potluck gaohclee General Cooking 3 15-02-2006 06:44 PM
Potluck gaohclee General Cooking 0 14-02-2006 05:20 AM
PotLuck Aria Mexican Cooking 5 20-10-2003 02:37 AM