Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooking quantities

On 2/28/2018 3:21 PM, graham wrote:

> Thank you Wayne! Getting the outside form is one thing but I enjoy the
> technical challenge of hollowing out the interior through a small
> opening. I finished the one to the rear right a few days ago and managed
> to get a wall thickness of ~3mm.

Not much room for error there with a shape. Good job.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

graham wrote:

>Getting the outside form is one thing but I enjoy the
>technical challenge of hollowing out the interior through a small
>opening. I finished the one to the rear right a few days ago and managed
>to get a wall thickness of ~3mm.

I've done more precision turning than I'd care to remember... It's a
lot easier to hollow out the center first and then place the piece on
a mandril to turn the exterior. Mostly I've turned exotic alloys but
I've turned plenty of wood, plastics, and other exotic materials. Some
of the lathes we had in the shop were verticals, some in excess of 24'
diameter.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-28 2:33 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 2/28/2018 3:21 PM, graham wrote:
>
>> Thank you Wayne! Getting the outside form is one thing but I enjoy the
>> technical challenge of hollowing out the interior through a small
>> opening. I finished the one to the rear right a few days ago and
>> managed to get a wall thickness of ~3mm.

> Not much room for error there with a shape.Â* Good job.

Thanks Ed! I did hold my breath from time to time:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 8:35:11 AM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

> itsjoannotjoann wrote:
>
> >Whole nutmegs are not expensive and you can rasp it fresh with a
> >microplane.

> Was a time Penseys included whole nutmegs, cinnamon sticks, and a ton
> of bay leaves as packing material... I'm still using those nutmegs,
> will never use them all as no recipe calls for much nutmeg.
> They are easy to grate on a kitchen grater... can even use a small
> metal nailfile.

My microplane has the fine blades and it does a very good job with
nutmegs, garlic, and citrus zest.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 9:49:02 AM UTC-6, graham wrote:

> I've given all but one away and it is *very* utilitarian in form. Lately
> I've been concentrating on deep, hollow turnings. These are forms
> hollowed out through a small hole in the top. The bigger in the photo
> below are about 9" (230mm) tall.
>
> https://postimg.org/image/xrlmd6px1/

Those are very, very pretty and in the picture they look like alabaster.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 17:46:12 -0000, Janet > wrote:

> I use a simple SS nutmeg grater like this. A whole nutmeg can be
>stored in the top.
>
> https://www.tesco.com/direct/kitchen...-steel-nutmeg-
>spice-grater-carded/426-9567.prd?source=others

I have one of those. I think I've had it for 45 years.

Doris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 11:46:18 AM UTC-6, Janet wrote:

> I use a simple SS nutmeg grater like this. A whole nutmeg can be
> stored in the top.
>
> https://www.tesco.com/direct/kitchen...-steel-nutmeg-
> spice-grater-carded/426-9567.prd?source=others
>
> Janet

I haven't seen one of those in a hundred years.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 3:20:38 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:

> I have a guitar made of burled maple. It's actually a thick bookmarked laminate. Beautiful stuff! I also use to have a bass guitar with a burled wood finish but I was dismayed to find out it was lithographed onto the wood. I gave it to my nephew because it had 5 strings instead of 4. That was too confusing for this old dog to play.
>
> https://www.talkbass.com/attachments...-1-jpg.355938/

That is REALLY unusual looking!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 12:01:21 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 3:20:38 PM UTC-6, dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > I have a guitar made of burled maple. It's actually a thick bookmarked laminate. Beautiful stuff! I also use to have a bass guitar with a burled wood finish but I was dismayed to find out it was lithographed onto the wood.. I gave it to my nephew because it had 5 strings instead of 4. That was too confusing for this old dog to play.
> >
> > https://www.talkbass.com/attachments...-1-jpg.355938/
> >

> That is REALLY unusual looking!

It was very pretty. Hopefully, my nephew plays that thing! That would be wonderful.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2/28/2018 10:48 AM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-02-27 10:13 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Tue 27 Feb 2018 09:28:44p, graham told us...

>> I'd love to see a picture of the ones you've made.Â* In my experience
>> folks who do that type of wood working create beautiful work.
>>

> I've given all but one away and it is *very* utilitarian in form. Lately
> I've been concentrating on deep, hollow turnings. These are forms
> hollowed out through a small hole in the top. The bigger in the photo
> below are about 9" (230mm) tall.
>
> https://postimg.org/image/xrlmd6px1/

You MADE those?? They're gorgeous.

nancy, impressed
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> On 2/28/2018 10:48 AM, graham wrote:
> > On 2018-02-27 10:13 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >> On Tue 27 Feb 2018 09:28:44p, graham told us...

> >> I'd love to see a picture of the ones you've made. In my experience
> >> folks who do that type of wood working create beautiful work.
> >>

> > I've given all but one away and it is *very* utilitarian in form. Lately
> > I've been concentrating on deep, hollow turnings. These are forms
> > hollowed out through a small hole in the top. The bigger in the photo
> > below are about 9" (230mm) tall.
> >
> > https://postimg.org/image/xrlmd6px1/

> You MADE those?? They're gorgeous.
>
> nancy, impressed

they really do look very nice and professionally made, Graham.
What are they used for? Look like nice lamp bases but probably
not since you hollowed them out. Storage things for some
products? Or just maybe nice ornamental thingies. The wood is
amazing.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Nancy Young wrote:

> On 2/28/2018 10:48 AM, graham wrote:
> > On 2018-02-27 10:13 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> >> On Tue 27 Feb 2018 09:28:44p, graham told us...

> >> I'd love to see a picture of the ones you've made. In my experience
> >> folks who do that type of wood working create beautiful work.
> >>

> > I've given all but one away and it is *very* utilitarian in form. Lately
> > I've been concentrating on deep, hollow turnings. These are forms
> > hollowed out through a small hole in the top. The bigger in the photo
> > below are about 9" (230mm) tall.
> >
> > https://postimg.org/image/xrlmd6px1/

> You MADE those?? They're gorgeous.
>
> nancy, impressed

they really do look very nice and professionally made, Graham.
What are they used for? Look like nice lamp bases but probably
not since you hollowed them out. Storage things for some
products? Or just maybe nice ornamental thingies. The wood is
amazing.
==

For me they don't need to be used for anything other than display. I would
be proud to display one. They are really beautiful!

I could never make anything like that)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> they really do look very nice and professionally made, Graham.
> What are they used for? Look like nice lamp bases but probably
> not since you hollowed them out. Storage things for some
> products? Or just maybe nice ornamental thingies. The wood is
> amazing.
> ==
>
> For me they don't need to be used for anything other than display. I would
> be proud to display one. They are really beautiful!

Very nice looking.

BTW, O....how is your little transplanted basil plant doing?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> "Gary" wrote:
> they really do look very nice and professionally made, Graham.
> What are they used for? Look like nice lamp bases but probably
> not since you hollowed them out. Storage things for some
> products? Or just maybe nice ornamental thingies. The wood is
> amazing.
> ==
>
> For me they don't need to be used for anything other than display. I
> would
> be proud to display one. They are really beautiful!

Very nice looking.

BTW, O....how is your little transplanted basil plant doing?

==

Oh I think I did something wrong I had it in the shade and it was ok.
Then I moved it to partial shade and it was not happy. I put it back again
but it was too late

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Wed, 28 Feb 2018 17:46:12 -0000, Janet > wrote:
>
> > I use a simple SS nutmeg grater like this. A whole nutmeg can be
> >stored in the top.

https://www.tesco.com/direct/kitchen...-steel-nutmeg-
> >spice-grater-carded/426-9567.prd?source=others

> I have one of those. I think I've had it for 45 years.

Mine is about the same vintage :-)

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-02-28 8:22 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 2/28/2018 10:48 AM, graham wrote:
>> On 2018-02-27 10:13 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>>> On Tue 27 Feb 2018 09:28:44p, graham told us...

>>> I'd love to see a picture of the ones you've made.Â* In my experience
>>> folks who do that type of wood working create beautiful work.
>>>

>> I've given all but one away and it is *very* utilitarian in form.
>> Lately I've been concentrating on deep, hollow turnings. These are
>> forms hollowed out through a small hole in the top. The bigger in the
>> photo below are about 9" (230mm) tall.
>>
>> https://postimg.org/image/xrlmd6px1/

> You MADE those??Â* They're gorgeous.
>
> nancy, impressed

Thanks, Nancy!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-01 5:37 AM, Gary wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> I've given all but one away and it is *very* utilitarian in form. Lately
>>> I've been concentrating on deep, hollow turnings. These are forms
>>> hollowed out through a small hole in the top. The bigger in the photo
>>> below are about 9" (230mm) tall.
>>>
>>> https://postimg.org/image/xrlmd6px1/

>> You MADE those?? They're gorgeous.
>>
>> nancy, impressed

> they really do look very nice and professionally made, Graham.
> What are they used for? Look like nice lamp bases but probably
> not since you hollowed them out. Storage things for some
> products? Or just maybe nice ornamental thingies. The wood is
> amazing.

Thanks for your comments, Gary!
Function? They just are! Purely ornamental. However, they will be
donated to Beads of Courage (http://www.beadsofcourage.org/) and
although the opening is too small for kid's hands, they could be used
for storing the beads if a child doesn't make it:-(
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-01 5:37 AM, Gary wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> I've given all but one away and it is *very* utilitarian in form. Lately
>>> I've been concentrating on deep, hollow turnings. These are forms
>>> hollowed out through a small hole in the top. The bigger in the photo
>>> below are about 9" (230mm) tall.
>>>
>>> https://postimg.org/image/xrlmd6px1/

>> You MADE those?? They're gorgeous.
>>
>> nancy, impressed

> they really do look very nice and professionally made, Graham.
> What are they used for? Look like nice lamp bases but probably
> not since you hollowed them out. Storage things for some
> products? Or just maybe nice ornamental thingies. The wood is
> amazing.

Thanks for your comments, Gary!
Function? They just are! Purely ornamental. However, they will be
donated to Beads of Courage (http://www.beadsofcourage.org/) and
although the opening is too small for kid's hands, they could be used
for storing the beads if a child doesn't make it:-(
Graham

==

I take it that it is for raising funds? Those will surely make plenty)

Well done! You can be very proud of them)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-01 2:06 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "graham"Â* wrote in message news >
> On 2018-03-01 5:37 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> You MADE those??Â* They're gorgeous.
>>>
>>> nancy, impressed

>> they really do look very nice and professionally made, Graham.
>> What are they used for? Look like nice lamp bases but probably
>> not since you hollowed them out. Storage things for some
>> products? Or just maybe nice ornamental thingies. The wood is
>> amazing.
>>

> Thanks for your comments, Gary!
> Function? They just are! Purely ornamental. However, they will be
> donated to Beads of Courage (http://www.beadsofcourage.org/) and
> although the opening is too small for kid's hands, they could be used
> for storing the beads if a child doesn't make it:-(
> Graham
>
> ==
>
> I take it that it is for raising funds?Â* Those will surely make plenty)
>
> Well done!Â* You can be very proud of them)

I decided long ago not to sell anything as it would be too much trouble
to declare the added income and all the expenses associated with the
tools and machinery.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-01 2:06 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "graham" wrote in message news >
> On 2018-03-01 5:37 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> You MADE those?? They're gorgeous.
>>>
>>> nancy, impressed

>> they really do look very nice and professionally made, Graham.
>> What are they used for? Look like nice lamp bases but probably
>> not since you hollowed them out. Storage things for some
>> products? Or just maybe nice ornamental thingies. The wood is
>> amazing.
>>

> Thanks for your comments, Gary!
> Function? They just are! Purely ornamental. However, they will be
> donated to Beads of Courage (http://www.beadsofcourage.org/) and
> although the opening is too small for kid's hands, they could be used
> for storing the beads if a child doesn't make it:-(
> Graham
>
> ==
>
> I take it that it is for raising funds? Those will surely make plenty)
>
> Well done! You can be very proud of them)

I decided long ago not to sell anything as it would be too much trouble
to declare the added income and all the expenses associated with the
tools and machinery.

==

What a shame. You could have made a living from making those wee beauties.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 21:40:10 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"graham" wrote in message news >
>On 2018-03-01 2:06 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "graham" wrote in message news >>

>>> they really do look very nice and professionally made, Graham.
>>> What are they used for? Look like nice lamp bases but probably
>>> not since you hollowed them out. Storage things for some
>>> products? Or just maybe nice ornamental thingies. The wood is
>>> amazing.
>>>

>> Thanks for your comments, Gary!
>> Function? They just are! Purely ornamental. However, they will be
>> donated to Beads of Courage (http://www.beadsofcourage.org/) and
>> although the opening is too small for kid's hands, they could be used
>> for storing the beads if a child doesn't make it:-(
>> Graham
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I take it that it is for raising funds? Those will surely make plenty)
>>
>> Well done! You can be very proud of them)
>>

>I decided long ago not to sell anything as it would be too much trouble
>to declare the added income and all the expenses associated with the
>tools and machinery.
>
>==
>
>What a shame. You could have made a living from making those wee beauties.

Yes, they look great. Of course, it depends how long it takes to make
one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-01 2:53 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 21:40:10 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>> "graham" wrote in message news >>
>> On 2018-03-01 2:06 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Thanks for your comments, Gary!
>>> Function? They just are! Purely ornamental. However, they will be
>>> donated to Beads of Courage (http://www.beadsofcourage.org/) and
>>> although the opening is too small for kid's hands, they could be used
>>> for storing the beads if a child doesn't make it:-(
>>> Graham
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> I take it that it is for raising funds? Those will surely make plenty)
>>>
>>> Well done! You can be very proud of them)
>>>

>> I decided long ago not to sell anything as it would be too much trouble
>> to declare the added income and all the expenses associated with the
>> tools and machinery.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> What a shame. You could have made a living from making those wee beauties.

> Yes, they look great. Of course, it depends how long it takes to make
> one.

That's the problem! The one on the right took the better part of 2 days
to make but I am very fussy about some aspects of the process and a real
pro would probably take much less than a day. It's not economically
viable as a business.
The real pros make a lot from demos, writing books and articles and
selling equipment. One top class pro reckons that if you can't make a
salad bowl in 40 minutes, you can't make a living - and that time
includes chain-sawing the log to get the blank! However, he has been
active for over 50 years so has had some time to practise.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 15:24:51 -0700, graham > wrote:

>On 2018-03-01 2:53 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 21:40:10 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>>

>>> "graham" wrote in message news >>>
>>> I decided long ago not to sell anything as it would be too much trouble
>>> to declare the added income and all the expenses associated with the
>>> tools and machinery.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> What a shame. You could have made a living from making those wee beauties.

>> Yes, they look great. Of course, it depends how long it takes to make
>> one.
>>

>That's the problem! The one on the right took the better part of 2 days
>to make but I am very fussy about some aspects of the process and a real
>pro would probably take much less than a day. It's not economically
>viable as a business.
>The real pros make a lot from demos, writing books and articles and
>selling equipment. One top class pro reckons that if you can't make a
>salad bowl in 40 minutes, you can't make a living - and that time
>includes chain-sawing the log to get the blank! However, he has been
>active for over 50 years so has had some time to practise.

You obviously can't charge 2 days worth of time for one bowl. Or even
one day if you got it down to that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-01 4:20 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 28 Feb 2018 10:53:50a, Wayne Boatwright told us...
>
>> On Wed 28 Feb 2018 08:48:49a, graham told us...
>>

>> Graham, those are absolutely beautiful. Truly works of art!
>> Thank you for sending the picture.
>>
>> Later today or tomorrow I will send you puctures of my nutmeg
>> grater. As you will see, it is very utilitarian but it gets the
>> job done :-)
>>

> Graham, here are two pictures of my nutmeg grinder. Sorry, but the
> pictures are a little fuzzy.
>
> https://postimg.org/gallery/1com9ewb2/

The one I kept for myself is similar. The mechanisms are more difficult
to get these days presumably due to a very small market for the finished
product. Yours opens from the top with a fixed bottom cutting plate. In
the mechanisms that I use, the bottom plate is removed to insert a
nutmeg and it's very awkward.
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/1/2018 4:13 PM, graham wrote:

>> I take it that it is for raising funds?Â* Those will surely make plenty)
>>
>> Well done!Â* You can be very proud of them)
>>

> I decided long ago not to sell anything as it would be too much trouble
> to declare the added income and all the expenses associated with the
> tools and machinery.

I'd do it for cash and skip all of that but still won't sell anything.
Once you agree to accept money you have an obligation for time, design,
etc. I do woodworking as a hobby, not a job. Only once did I accept
the cost of material for a cypress bench I built.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-01 5:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/1/2018 4:13 PM, graham wrote:
>

>>> I take it that it is for raising funds?Â* Those will surely make
>>> plenty)
>>>
>>> Well done!Â* You can be very proud of them)
>>>

>> I decided long ago not to sell anything as it would be too much
>> trouble to declare the added income and all the expenses associated
>> with the tools and machinery.

> I'd do it for cash and skip all of that but still won't sell anything.
> Once you agree to accept money you have an obligation for time, design,
> etc.Â* I do woodworking as a hobby, not a job.Â* Only once did I accept
> the cost of material for a cypress bench I built.

The trouble is that people think that your time and material is worth
bugger all. A piece of wood for a salad bowl could cost as much as $50
or $60. If you've acquired it from a downed tree for nothing, you still
have to think of replacement cost. Add on your time, finishing
materials, machinery costs and you are looking at $150 - $200 if the
wood is particularly nice. $250 for a larger one. I was once asked for a
quote for a salad bowl and I think she expected it would be $20-30. That
wouldn't come close to the cost of the wood.
"But you must get pleasure from making!"
By that logic, lawyers must really hate their jobs!
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-01 2:53 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 1 Mar 2018 21:40:10 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>> "graham" wrote in message news >>
>> On 2018-03-01 2:06 PM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Thanks for your comments, Gary!
>>> Function? They just are! Purely ornamental. However, they will be
>>> donated to Beads of Courage (http://www.beadsofcourage.org/) and
>>> although the opening is too small for kid's hands, they could be used
>>> for storing the beads if a child doesn't make it:-(
>>> Graham
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> I take it that it is for raising funds? Those will surely make
>>> plenty)
>>>
>>> Well done! You can be very proud of them)
>>>

>> I decided long ago not to sell anything as it would be too much trouble
>> to declare the added income and all the expenses associated with the
>> tools and machinery.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> What a shame. You could have made a living from making those wee
>> beauties.

> Yes, they look great. Of course, it depends how long it takes to make
> one.

That's the problem! The one on the right took the better part of 2 days
to make but I am very fussy about some aspects of the process and a real
pro would probably take much less than a day. It's not economically
viable as a business.
The real pros make a lot from demos, writing books and articles and
selling equipment. One top class pro reckons that if you can't make a
salad bowl in 40 minutes, you can't make a living - and that time
includes chain-sawing the log to get the blank! However, he has been
active for over 50 years so has had some time to practise.

==

Maybe when you finally retire you can make them as a hobby. It won't be so
urgent to me making a living from them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-01 10:18 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Many yeas ago when I worked as a designer I often dealt with
> craftsmen who created various types of custom work. My clients were
> sometimes surprised at the price of pieces they were contracting to
> be made. People often have no concept of pennies for dollars.

When I managed a consulting company we had to do costing exercises to
determine charge-out rates for the professional employees and came up
with a figure that was about 2.5x base salary. This turned out to be in
line with the professional body with which we had to be registered that
recommended 2.5 - 3x base salary. This included overheads such as office
rent, insurances, non-earning staff salaries, equipment and depreciation
and of course, a modest profit margin of 15%.
If people complain about the call-out rates that, say, plumbers charge,
here's how to do your own.
You have to divide base salary by days worked as a starting point. That
figure is:
365-104(weekends)-15(vacation)-12(public holidays)-4(potential sick
days) = 230
Take a modest salary of say $50k, add on those overhead expenses and the
hourly rate balloons to $68/hour.
If you think 2.5x base salary is excessive, you would be surprised how
much overheads can add up to. A self employed person must include
pension provisions and, in the US, health care premiums among other costs.

It all adds up!
Graham
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 6:59:00 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> When I managed a consulting company we had to do costing exercises to
> determine charge-out rates for the professional employees and came up
> with a figure that was about 2.5x base salary. This turned out to be in
> line with the professional body with which we had to be registered that
> recommended 2.5 - 3x base salary. This included overheads such as office
> rent, insurances, non-earning staff salaries, equipment and depreciation
> and of course, a modest profit margin of 15%.
> If people complain about the call-out rates that, say, plumbers charge,
> here's how to do your own.
> You have to divide base salary by days worked as a starting point. That
> figure is:
> 365-104(weekends)-15(vacation)-12(public holidays)-4(potential sick
> days) = 230
> Take a modest salary of say $50k, add on those overhead expenses and the
> hourly rate balloons to $68/hour.
> If you think 2.5x base salary is excessive, you would be surprised how
> much overheads can add up to. A self employed person must include
> pension provisions and, in the US, health care premiums among other costs.
>
> It all adds up!
> Graham

Human resources are terribly expensive. This is why they must be replaced with robots as soon as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1mZ7_kZppM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 1:12:46 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 6:59:00 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> > When I managed a consulting company we had to do costing exercises to
> > determine charge-out rates for the professional employees and came up
> > with a figure that was about 2.5x base salary. This turned out to be in
> > line with the professional body with which we had to be registered that
> > recommended 2.5 - 3x base salary. This included overheads such as office
> > rent, insurances, non-earning staff salaries, equipment and depreciation
> > and of course, a modest profit margin of 15%.
> > If people complain about the call-out rates that, say, plumbers charge,
> > here's how to do your own.
> > You have to divide base salary by days worked as a starting point. That
> > figure is:
> > 365-104(weekends)-15(vacation)-12(public holidays)-4(potential sick
> > days) = 230
> > Take a modest salary of say $50k, add on those overhead expenses and the
> > hourly rate balloons to $68/hour.
> > If you think 2.5x base salary is excessive, you would be surprised how
> > much overheads can add up to. A self employed person must include
> > pension provisions and, in the US, health care premiums among other costs.
> >
> > It all adds up!
> > Graham

> Human resources are terribly expensive. This is why they must be replaced with robots as soon as possible.

Thus leaving the unemployed with more time to drink.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 1, 2018 at 12:24:59 PM UTC-10, graham wrote:

> That's the problem! The one on the right took the better part of 2 days
> to make but I am very fussy about some aspects of the process and a real
> pro would probably take much less than a day. It's not economically
> viable as a business.
> The real pros make a lot from demos, writing books and articles and
> selling equipment. One top class pro reckons that if you can't make a
> salad bowl in 40 minutes, you can't make a living - and that time
> includes chain-sawing the log to get the blank! However, he has been
> active for over 50 years so has had some time to practise.

Woodworking takes a certain kind of temperament, patience, and focus of attention. Of course, I possess none of these qualities. That's the breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, March 2, 2018 at 11:10:28 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Thus leaving the unemployed with more time to drink.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

This is wonderful news for alcoholics. They will, no doubt, utilize these new advances in technology to its fullest. Also trending will be putting a bullet in your head and blowing your goddamn brains all over the carpeting.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Thursday, March 1, 2018 at 12:24:59 PM UTC-10, graham wrote:
>
> > That's the problem! The one on the right took the better part of 2
> > days to make but I am very fussy about some aspects of the process
> > and a real pro would probably take much less than a day. It's not
> > economically viable as a business.
> > The real pros make a lot from demos, writing books and articles and
> > selling equipment. One top class pro reckons that if you can't make
> > a salad bowl in 40 minutes, you can't make a living - and that time
> > includes chain-sawing the log to get the blank! However, he has
> > been active for over 50 years so has had some time to practise.

> Woodworking takes a certain kind of temperament, patience, and focus
> of attention. Of course, I possess none of these qualities. That's
> the breaks.

One of the things our whole family loves, is to get projects off
Freecycle and fiz them up to lovely pieces then put them back ot on
freecycle. No charge, no time line to stick to. Ok, we may spend 10$
here and there to fix it up, but most spend more on their hobbies a
month and we are gifting back something to others that we had fun doing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Feb 2018, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Tue, 27 Feb 2018 17:47:15 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>> On Tue 27 Feb 2018 10:39:30a, KenK told us...
>>
>>> I often wonder about the items in recipes that are in very low
>>> quantity. Like a pinch of this or that - often salt. Or a quarter
>>> or half teaspoon of something. If a strong spice than I can see
>>> the small amount, but otherwise... Or a teaspoon of something
>>> other than a spice that seems unrelated to the rest of the items.
>>>
>>> Sometimes I skip these items or forget to add them and mostly
>>> haven't tasted any difference.
>>>
>>> TIA
>>>

>> There is no spice or herb that I would consider adding if less than a
>> half teaspoon, with the possible exception of cayenne pepper.

> how about nutmeg in a sauce?
> Janet US

It's always too much. Any nutmeg more than a smidge is too much, in my
world at least.