Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default sous vide

On Fri, 02 Mar 2018 15:42:20 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>In article >,
> wrote:
>
>> Also, when I cook a steak on top of the stove with a cast iron pan
>> (too bloody cold to bbq) I get spatter all over the stove top to clean
>> later. What's not to like about the vide method.

>Forty eight hours.
>
>leo

I get no spatter to clean from frying, I use a deeper than usual pan,
I have a six qt pan with 4" high sides, perfect for pan frying meats.
And I use some heavy duty aluminum foil as protection around the
burner, just cut a hole in the foil... and I save that foil to use
again. For larger frying jobs I have this... a great piece of
cookware with many uses:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=sr_1_3&sr=8-3
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Mar 2018 07:51:25 -0500, Gary > wrote:

wrote:

>> On Fri, 02 Mar 2018 15:42:20 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell
>> > wrote:

>> >Forty eight hours.
>> >
>> >leo

>> Mine says 3 hrs but this time I am trying two as I found it over
>> cooked for my liking.

>My point with steak is that I can cook one perfectly starting
>from raw to medium rare in very few minutes, not hours. I just
>don't get it. It sounds like another cooking utensil fad to me.
>
>So you precook it but then you still have to thaw and sear both
>sides to serve. And wouldn't that still spatter your stovetop?
>Only about 6 more minutes would do that with a fresh steak
>without the hours precook thing. wth?
>
>I'm just playing the devil's advocate here but it really does
>sound like a cooking fad to me that will go away soon enough.
>Restaurants, it might be good for but for homeowners....nah..just
>a fad, imo.

Sous vide is for those who really don't know how to cook... for those
who think "Paint By Numbers" is art.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> On Fri, 02 Mar 2018 15:42:20 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell

>>> Mine says 3 hrs but this time I am trying two as I found it over
>>> cooked for my liking.

>> My point with steak is that I can cook one perfectly starting
>>from raw to medium rare in very few minutes, not hours. I just
>> don't get it. It sounds like another cooking utensil fad to me.
>>
>> So you precook it but then you still have to thaw and sear both
>> sides to serve. And wouldn't that still spatter your stovetop?
>> Only about 6 more minutes would do that with a fresh steak
>> without the hours precook thing. wth?
>>
>> I'm just playing the devil's advocate here but it really does
>> sound like a cooking fad to me that will go away soon enough.
>> Restaurants, it might be good for but for homeowners....nah..just
>> a fad, imo.

> I'm not cooking to freeze - I will simply prepare my supper at
> lunchtime, viz placing in bags and sealing, then as the times come up,
> add bags to machine and at supper time all I have to do is go to the
> kitchen, take my supper out of the machine and put on plate. If I
> waited until supper time, the desire to eat a bit better has generally
> left me.
>
> I was looking for a method to basically cook ahead yet come up with a
> fresh meal with some goodness in it.

Heston Blumenthal has popularised the low slow method for beef joints.
You quickly brown the outside and then roast at a low temp (?200F) for 6
or 7 hours. The result is a rare but very tender meat. I think he
finishes his off with a blow torch:-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> My point with steak is that I can cook one perfectly starting
>>>from raw to medium rare in very few minutes, not hours. I just
>>> don't get it. It sounds like another cooking utensil fad to me.
>>>
>>> So you precook it but then you still have to thaw and sear both
>>> sides to serve. And wouldn't that still spatter your stovetop?
>>> Only about 6 more minutes would do that with a fresh steak
>>> without the hours precook thing. wth?
>>>
>>> I'm just playing the devil's advocate here but it really does
>>> sound like a cooking fad to me that will go away soon enough.
>>> Restaurants, it might be good for but for homeowners....nah..just
>>> a fad, imo.

>> I'm not cooking to freeze - I will simply prepare my supper at
>> lunchtime, viz placing in bags and sealing, then as the times come up,
>> add bags to machine and at supper time all I have to do is go to the
>> kitchen, take my supper out of the machine and put on plate. If I
>> waited until supper time, the desire to eat a bit better has generally
>> left me.
>>
>> I was looking for a method to basically cook ahead yet come up with a
>> fresh meal with some goodness in it.
>>

>Heston Blumenthal has popularised the low slow method for beef joints.
>You quickly brown the outside and then roast at a low temp (?200F) for 6
>or 7 hours. The result is a rare but very tender meat. I think he
>finishes his off with a blow torch:-)

Lol Julia Child frequently brandished a blow torch
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-03 1:44 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 03 Mar 2018 11:29:26a, told us...

>> Lol Julia Child frequently brandished a blow torch
>>

> Blow torches are very handy in the kitchen, especially those designed
> for kitchen use. Among other things I use it to create a crispy
> layer of sugar on creme brulee, as well as meringues. I also used it
> brown the exterior of a roast that was properly cooked but not as
> brown as I would have liked.

I have always wondered about the benefit of the torches designed for
kitchen use and the best I can come up with is that some people don't
have a regular propane torch. The hardware model can do whatever the
kitchen model can, but not the other way around.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 9:51:18 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> I have always wondered about the benefit of the torches designed for
> kitchen use and the best I can come up with is that some people don't
> have a regular propane torch. The hardware model can do whatever the
> kitchen model can, but not the other way around.

Mostly it dissociates one from those kinds of people that would use a regular torch. Barbarians that show their ass-crack when using their filthy flame torches. Frankly, those kitchen torches seem kind of wimpy. Pretty though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 03 Mar 2018 18:29:04 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sat 03 Mar 2018 05:26:06a, told us...
>
>> On Fri, 02 Mar 2018 15:42:20 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell
>> > wrote:

>>>Forty eight hours.
>>>
>>>leo

>> Mine says 3 hrs but this time I am trying two as I found it over
>> cooked for my liking.
>>

>The method of sous vide does not appeal to me, especially when the
>meat requires further preparation; e.g., browning or grilling afte
>the fact. I'm also not keen on spending money on the equipment since
>I have little room to store it and I doubt I'd used it with any
>frequency. I'm also not fond of medium-rare or rare meat.

I replaced a 30 some years old slow cooker with this sous vide/slow
cooker combo. I didn't see any need for doing more to the food when I
took it out of the package. Plus, of course, the steak and mushrooms
cooking now leave no odour in the place. It also does not mean you
have to have the steak rare, trick seems to be learning how long to
cook to have it the way you like it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-03 4:07 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 03 Mar 2018 12:53:31p, Dave Smith told us...
>
>> I have always wondered about the benefit of the torches designed
>> for kitchen use and the best I can come up with is that some
>> people don't have a regular propane torch. The hardware model can
>> do whatever the kitchen model can, but not the other way around.
>>

> That's all well and good, but I have no use for a hardware model.

Mine has been used to solder plumbing joints, light BBQs, fires, to make
creme brulee, Elmira peach pie and many other things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 3 Mar 2018 16:38:28 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-03-03 4:07 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Sat 03 Mar 2018 12:53:31p, Dave Smith told us...
>>
>>> I have always wondered about the benefit of the torches designed
>>> for kitchen use and the best I can come up with is that some
>>> people don't have a regular propane torch. The hardware model can
>>> do whatever the kitchen model can, but not the other way around.
>>>

>> That's all well and good, but I have no use for a hardware model.

>Mine has been used to solder plumbing joints, light BBQs, fires, to make
>creme brulee, Elmira peach pie and many other things.

I just recently bought a Porta-Cable heat gun for thawing the
tractor's hydraulic cables in sub zero weather, it can get stupid
hot... would likely work for food use but I don't do that. The beast
sure beats a wimpy hair dryer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 3:44:20 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 9:51:18 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > I have always wondered about the benefit of the torches designed for
> > kitchen use and the best I can come up with is that some people don't
> > have a regular propane torch. The hardware model can do whatever the
> > kitchen model can, but not the other way around.

> Mostly it dissociates one from those kinds of people that would use a regular torch. Barbarians that show their ass-crack when using their filthy flame torches. Frankly, those kitchen torches seem kind of wimpy. Pretty though.

Don't make me post a photo of me sweating copper pipe. People will be
poking out their eyes.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 03:55:41 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 3:44:20 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Saturday, March 3, 2018 at 9:51:18 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>> >
>> > I have always wondered about the benefit of the torches designed for
>> > kitchen use and the best I can come up with is that some people don't
>> > have a regular propane torch. The hardware model can do whatever the
>> > kitchen model can, but not the other way around.

>> Mostly it dissociates one from those kinds of people that would use a regular torch. Barbarians that show their ass-crack when using their filthy flame torches. Frankly, those kitchen torches seem kind of wimpy. Pretty though.

>Don't make me post a photo of me sweating copper pipe. People will be
>poking out their eyes.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

Plumbers don't solder copper tubing anymore, there are new fittings
that they use a compression tool on. They cost a bit more but take a
lot less time plus no leakers to do over, and time is money.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 9:25:24 AM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 03:55:41 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:

> >> Mostly it dissociates one from those kinds of people that would use a regular torch. Barbarians that show their ass-crack when using their filthy flame torches. Frankly, those kitchen torches seem kind of wimpy. Pretty though.

> >Don't make me post a photo of me sweating copper pipe. People will be
> >poking out their eyes.
> >
> >Cindy Hamilton

> Plumbers don't solder copper tubing anymore, there are new fittings
> that they use a compression tool on. They cost a bit more but take a
> lot less time plus no leakers to do over, and time is money.

Actually, we've switched to PEX.

Cindy Hamilton