Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dubliner cheese?

On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 18:26:12 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-04-03 6:02 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 11:18:43 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> It sounds nice in theory that there are people willing to travel to
>>> far away places to work with the local people and teach them a
>>> better way. Too many of them are a little to religiously motivated.
>>> I know people who have done mission work because they had skills
>>> that were useful and would be of benefit to the third world. Then
>>> there are those who are only in it to spread their particular
>>> version of religion.

>> The Hawaiians were eager to learn the new ways of the strange aliens
>> that invaded their land. Beats me why they were so open to having
>> their culture thrown away.

>Some people fall hard for religion. It has been a major motivation for
>exploration. We all learned the old in 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean
>blue. It was also the time that Ferdinand and Isabella married and their
>united kingdoms had the strength to oust the Moors and Jews and start
>the Inquisition. They funded Columbus in order to spread Catholicism.
>It was only later that the conquistators joined the ventures to loot the
>new world of its gold and silver.
>
>It was Christian thinking that convinced westerners that they could use
>slaves, and that black slaves could be owned cradle to grave because
>they weren't white Christians, but many black Americans fell hard for
>Christianity. Gospel Christianity is an important part of the lives of
>many black Americans.

It's weird. They're more christian than the whites. They've adopted
the religion of the oppressor and slave owner. With a vengeance. Talk
about being pawned.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-03 6:46 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 18:26:12 -0400, Dave Smith

>> It was Christian thinking that convinced westerners that they could use
>> slaves, and that black slaves could be owned cradle to grave because
>> they weren't white Christians, but many black Americans fell hard for
>> Christianity. Gospel Christianity is an important part of the lives of
>> many black Americans.

> It's weird. They're more christian than the whites. They've adopted
> the religion of the oppressor and slave owner. With a vengeance. Talk
> about being pawned.

Thriving on persecution is a Christian trait.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-03 6:44 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 18:28:03 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>>> You seem to divide the world between superior white man and inferior
>>> fuzzy-wuzzies (my new word for the month). It's a bit off.
>>>

>> I do? I just pointed out the number of people from there who are
>> trying to get here.

> It's your entire stance of white, Anglo supremacy.

Nah. It would appear to be their perception. Africa is a huge continent
with more than a billion of people. Over the last few years, more than a
million of them have overwhelmed European border controls. There must be
something about the white western culture that would lead them to make
that journey.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 19:12:24 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2018-04-03 6:44 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> I do? I just pointed out the number of people from there who are
>>> trying to get here.

>> It's your entire stance of white, Anglo supremacy.

>Nah. It would appear to be their perception. Africa is a huge continent
>with more than a billion of people. Over the last few years, more than a
>million of them have overwhelmed European border controls. There must be
>something about the white western culture that would lead them to make
>that journey.

The Scandinavian countries and Switzerland are always in the top ten
of best countries to live. They're very white and very western style
civilised. I'd be bored to death there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-04-03 5:06 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-04-03 6:46 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 18:26:12 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> It was Christian thinking that convinced westerners that they could use
>>> slaves, and that black slaves could be owned cradle to grave because
>>> they weren't white Christians, but many black Americans fell hard for
>>> Christianity. Gospel Christianity is an important part of the lives of
>>> many black Americans.

>> It's weird. They're more christian than the whites. They've adopted
>> the religion of the oppressor and slave owner. With a vengeance. Talk
>> about being pawned.

> Thriving on persecution is a Christian trait.

Religion really does poison everything!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, April 3, 2018 at 5:31:04 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 3 Apr 2018 17:21:16 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

> >> Hawaii had these missionaries. They were very odd people. They wanted
> >> to put clothes on the Hawaiians and keep them from dancing and make
> >> them wear shoes. Always with the shoes, what is it with the shoes and
> >> missionaries? Why not sandals or rubbah slippahs?
> >>

> >It sounds nice in theory that there are people willing to travel to far
> >away places to work with the local people and teach them a better way.

> What if the locals were happier before strangers came to teach them "a
> better way"?

I wonder if the missionaries were a mitigating influence on the whalers
that used Hawaii as a port. Probably a choice between measles and
syphilis.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 8:17:56 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> ==
>
> We call them 'flip flops'

That's what they call rubbah slippas on the mainland too. Old guys call them "zoris."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/4/2018 2:31 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 8:17:56 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> ==
>>
>> We call them 'flip flops'

> That's what they call rubbah slippas on the mainland too. Old guys call them "zoris."

That's what I used to call them too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-15 19:16:05 +0000, Ed Pawlowski said:

> On 3/15/2018 2:31 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 7:58:19 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
>>>
>>> They have a very good reputation regarding the way they treat their
>>> staff, unlike Walmart.
>>> My needs are small so I only shop there when I have guests who are members.

>> The Costco employees at the Honolulu location seem perkier and more
>> focused than Sam's Club employees i.e., they have a higher level of
>> morale. Beats me how that's even possible since the traffic at Costco
>> seems to be about 3 times that of Sam's. I'd sure like to know how
>> Costco does this since it seems to defy logic.
>>

> Pay them a fair wage for a start.

Pay them what it costs to replace them.

--
Tim May

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 8:17:56 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> ==
>
> We call them 'flip flops'

That's what they call rubbah slippas on the mainland too. Old guys call them
"zoris."

==

)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 8:35:47 AM UTC-10, S Viemeister wrote:

> That's what I used to call them too.

Zori is the all-natural version of the flip-flop. I believe that flip-flops were originally made in Brazil - but I could be wrong.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 4 Apr 2018 14:35:36 -0400, S Viemeister
> wrote:

>On 4/4/2018 2:31 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 8:17:56 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> We call them 'flip flops'

>> That's what they call rubbah slippas on the mainland too. Old guys call them "zoris."
>>

>That's what I used to call them too.

I've been wearing flip flops for for as long as I can remember...
these days Crocks offers the best most long lasting flip flops.