Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dubliner cheese?

Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-03-16 12:33 PM, wrote:
>> On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 09:50:20 -0400, Nancy Young >
>> wrote:

>>> I guess he figured being a native guy he was entitled to a free can of
>>> oil.

>> That statement makes no sense, something only a madman could dream up.
>>
>> Actually chain saws are typically sold packaged with a bottle of bar
>> oil and a bottle of oil to mix with the gas. Most combustion engine
>> tools are packaged with the appropriate oil.

> Bullshit. I have bought a number of chain saws over the years, and they
> never included 2 cycle oil or chain oil. In fact, I bought a Stihl
> chainsaw last year and the warranty was doubled if I bought a package of
> a half dozen bottles of 2 cycle oil.
>
> In the case I referred to, the clerk had apparently seen the guy stash
> the oil in the carrying case.
>

>> The sales person was a
>> jerk, didn't realize that a new chain saw would come with the oil in
>> the case.

> No. The saw did not come with the saw. The guy claimed that he opened up
> the case to check on the fuel to oil ratio.... and son of a gun, left
> the oil in the case.
>

>> When I bought my chain saw it didn't come with a case, that was extra,
>> but came with a bar cover so I didn't need the case... a case is only
>> necessary if one is going to transport teh saw from place to place,
>> mine never leaves my property. The salesman included a quart of bar
>> oil and a six pack of premeasured oil to mix with the gas, each bottle
>> for a gallon of fuel. Jonsered makes fantastic chain saws , I have
>> this one:

> Okay... the salesman threw in a quart of oil. That is different from
> suggesting that all 2 cycle engine tools come with free oil.

What you fail to realize is when Penfart experiences any event, he
extrapolates it into a universal truth, which applies to all situations
in the entire universe. *Nobody* can ever experience any event which is
even slightly different, *ever*

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>What you don't have, you'll never miss. No worries - just do what
>>>you've always done.
>>>
>>>Costco here in my area but not close and I have no urge for one
>>>either. Costco plostco splatco....no big deal or certainly
>>>nothing to lose sleep over.
>>>
>>>IMO, these pay-for membership stores are a joke. They only
>>>survive now because dummies pay them for a membership. You want
>>>me to pay you to be able to shop at your store? Yeah right. Bite
>>>me and good luck.
>>>
>>>This scenario is just as stupid as people buying bottled water at
>>>such a silly higher price.

>>why are you so defensive? You can shop where you want.

>Paying for the right to buy somewhere IS strange, even if in the end,
>you save money.

Paying for a membership at a store is no different from paying for
membership at at a golf course... allows you to play without the
riffraff. Even the YMCA has a Membersdhip fee, keeps the schtinkin
riff raff out. We pay for Amazon Prime that more than affords us
having products shipped for free... Amazon offers the best prices on
the planet.

we pqy for Amaqzon p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/16/2018 12:02 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/16/2018 11:55 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> But we've already been siphoned through checkout lines, compared
>> to most other stores.Â* Nothing to steal past there.

> With a cohort, I could have a full cart to steal by the time I hit the
> door.Â* If they have self checkout I can get two carts full to steal. You
> don't think like a thief.Â* Thieves do.

Perhaps at most stores, the way Costco is laid out that's not going
to be so easy. I also have no doubt the section between the checkouts
and the door (where there is nothing to be stolen) is the most closely
surveilled part of the store. The 'bagger' and the cashier would have
to be in on it, at the least, and that's exactly why I said perhaps
the guy at the door is making sure employees aren't in cahoots with some
customer.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/16/2018 11:32 AM, wrote:
> Sam's Club is named for Sam Walmart.

Yer a pretty fart smeller.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.44...

On Fri 16 Mar 2018 10:17:08a, Ophelia told us...

> "Nancy Young" wrote in message
>
> On 3/16/2018 10:20 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>> On 3/15/2018 11:19 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>

>>> Imagine if all stores did that? Thing is I'm a member, they
>>> know who I am and I am "checked" as I go through the checkout
>>> lane. Nothing to steal past that except maybe a churro. So
>>> that's why I thought perhaps it's a method of preventing
>>> employee fraud.
>>>
>>> I have experienced going through checkout at hardware stores and
>>> they checked in the toolbox I bought, or the garbage can. I was
>>> not insulted.

>> Its a long walk from the checkout to the exit. Plenty of time
>> for a partner to slip stuff into your cart. You just don't think
>> devious enough. Others do and yes, members steal as much as
>> non-members.

> But we've already been siphoned through checkout lines, compared
> to most other stores. Nothing to steal past there.
>
> nancy
>
> ==
>
> We have a system at some of our supermarkets where you set up your
> bags in the trolley, take a hand machine and click on items before
> you bag them. There is a special checkout for when you have
> finished and staff can check what you have in the bags and that is
> where you pay. I have never seen them check more then couple of
> things though. I would have thought that was ripe for theft but
> what do I know?
>
> I tried it once, but I prefer to go through the usual checkout
> where the staff are very friendly.
>
> Ahhh here it is:
>
> https://www.tesco.com/scan-as-you-shop/

Most of our supermarkets here in Phoenix have self-check aisles. I
have never seen an attendant ever check any of our bags, regardless
of how many. Occasionally, at the exit, a clerk might glance at the
receipt, but only superficially.

Wayne Boatwright

==

Yes, we used a regular checkout this morning (not the scan as you shop one)
and no one checked us. I can't remember when, if ever, we have ever been
checked.

Maybe we just have honest faces ;p although tbh I don't think I've ever seen
that happen to anyone

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 13:36:55 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> They are considerably cheaper than the 4 pack at the drug store. I
>> just looked at one of the batteries from a 48 pack and it is good to
>> 2026 but will be used up soon. I also counted about 16 batteries in use
>> around the house. TV remotes, thermostat, clocks,. soap dispensers,
>> flashlights, computer mouse.

>Right there, I use way less so yes, it's all relative.
>
>Question though: battery operated soap dispensers? lol
>
>Really, Ed?

Battery operated soap dispensers are a sign that a civilisation has
reached its end. They were also popular just before the fall of Rome.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 12:35 PM, Gary wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Ha. Reminds me of an old joke about the guy who used to leave the
>> factory every night with an wheelbarrow full of sawdust. Every night the
>> security guard would look through the sawdust and then let him go. Years
>> later, after both had retired the security guard met the guy on the
>> streets and had a chat. The guard told him that he had always thought he
>> was up to something but could never figure out what it was he was
>> stealing. The retired worker said " Wheelbarrows".

> Good one, Dave. I don't remember ever hearing that one but I like
> it.

The older version is of a peasant crossing a frontier every day and
going through customs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/17/2018 2:36 PM, Gary wrote:
> Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Question though: battery operated soap dispensers? lol
>
> Really, Ed?

Three of them. Each bathroom and the kitchen. Just put your hand
under it.

https://www.simplehuman.com/sensor-pumps/standard

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> Ha. Reminds me of an old joke about the guy who used to leave the
> factory every night with an wheelbarrow full of sawdust. Every night the
> security guard would look through the sawdust and then let him go. Years
> later, after both had retired the security guard met the guy on the
> streets and had a chat. The guard told him that he had always thought he
> was up to something but could never figure out what it was he was
> stealing. The retired worker said " Wheelbarrows".

Good one, Dave. I don't remember ever hearing that one but I like
it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> They are considerably cheaper than the 4 pack at the drug store. I
> just looked at one of the batteries from a 48 pack and it is good to
> 2026 but will be used up soon. I also counted about 16 batteries in use
> around the house. TV remotes, thermostat, clocks,. soap dispensers,
> flashlights, computer mouse.

Right there, I use way less so yes, it's all relative.

Question though: battery operated soap dispensers? lol

Really, Ed?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-17 12:35 PM, Gary wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Ha. Reminds me of an old joke about the guy who used to leave the
>> factory every night with an wheelbarrow full of sawdust. Every night the
>> security guard would look through the sawdust and then let him go. Years
>> later, after both had retired the security guard met the guy on the
>> streets and had a chat. The guard told him that he had always thought he
>> was up to something but could never figure out what it was he was
>> stealing. The retired worker said " Wheelbarrows".

> Good one, Dave. I don't remember ever hearing that one but I like
> it.

The older version is of a peasant crossing a frontier every day and
going through customs.

==

Go on then ...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/18/2018 1:45 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-03-18 1:29 PM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 3/16/2018 7:38 PM, wrote:
>>>
>>> There hasn't been any meaningful US manufacturing for 30 years... only
>>> thing responsible is young folks are deathly ascared of dirty hands,
>>> calluses, and persperation.Â* There are no apprenticeship programs
>>> because American youngsters can't handle hard manual labor.Â* With more
>>> than 50 years as master tool and die maker I know what I'm talking
>>> about. (snippage)
>>>

>> That song is old Sheldon.Â* It is not the fault of "young folks" that
>> manufacturers moved their manufacturing operations offshore, likely
>> before they were born.Â* There aren't apprenticeship programs for that
>> very reason.

> Apprenticeship programs are expensive to run so openings are generally
> allotted according to demand in order for it to meet industry demands.
> They don't spend a lot of money to train people for jobs that don't
> exist.Â* There is not much point in offering an apprenticeship program if
> there is nowhere for the students to put in the apprenticeship time.
> There are more electricians, plumbers and pipe fitters working in
> industrial, construction and manufacturing than there are doing
> household repairs. When manufacturing moves off shore there is no work
> for those guys here.

The "industry" that Sheldon seems to hark back to mostly doesn't exist
in North America anymore. It depends on where you live. But it's still
not the fault of "young folks" who are afraid to get their hands dirty.

Where I live, on a good note, there are lots of small companies who
don't mind doing household repairs. But yes, they also get contracts
for much larger projects in the area. I had a problem with the bathroom
sinks earlier this month. The plumber who came to my house was also
working on a new resort on Hilton Head. He took the time to fit me into
his schedule since he'd be "in the area" anyway. It's not exactly in
the area. I'm about 50 miles away from Hilton Head. But he came over,
fixed the problem. No worries about it being a small residential job.
What was my point? Oh yeah... he brought an "apprentice plumber" with
him.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 14:04:34 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 3/18/2018 1:45 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> That song is old Sheldon.* It is not the fault of "young folks" that
>>> manufacturers moved their manufacturing operations offshore, likely
>>> before they were born.* There aren't apprenticeship programs for that
>>> very reason.

>> Apprenticeship programs are expensive to run so openings are generally
>> allotted according to demand in order for it to meet industry demands.
>> They don't spend a lot of money to train people for jobs that don't
>> exist.* There is not much point in offering an apprenticeship program if
>> there is nowhere for the students to put in the apprenticeship time.
>> There are more electricians, plumbers and pipe fitters working in
>> industrial, construction and manufacturing than there are doing
>> household repairs. When manufacturing moves off shore there is no work
>> for those guys here.

>The "industry" that Sheldon seems to hark back to mostly doesn't exist
>in North America anymore. It depends on where you live. But it's still
>not the fault of "young folks" who are afraid to get their hands dirty.
>
>Where I live, on a good note, there are lots of small companies who
>don't mind doing household repairs. But yes, they also get contracts
>for much larger projects in the area. I had a problem with the bathroom
>sinks earlier this month. The plumber who came to my house was also
>working on a new resort on Hilton Head. He took the time to fit me into
>his schedule since he'd be "in the area" anyway. It's not exactly in
>the area. I'm about 50 miles away from Hilton Head. But he came over,
>fixed the problem. No worries about it being a small residential job.
>What was my point? Oh yeah... he brought an "apprentice plumber" with
>him.
>
>Jill

You and Dave are both MORONS.
Neither of you has a job.
You live off your dead parents money.
Dave has no marketable skills so obviously lives off his wife's income
and whatever he can beg from his kids and his fat niece who helps to
to support him.

Anyone who posts 24/7 has NO job. I can post 24/7 because I'm
retired with a substantial pension from a real job, but you and Dave
have never had a real job and still dont.

Like you Dave has worked here and there but neither have real
marketable skills... if you didn't inherit your parent's assets you'd
be homeless, if Dave didn't have a fool for a wife he'd be homeless as
well. I've had more than enough email/phone conversations with you to
know you are a phony... you should learn to STFU while you're ahead.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 4:20:06 PM UTC-5, Sheldon wrote:

> You and Dave are both MORONS.
> Neither of you has a job.
> You live off your dead parents money.
> Dave has no marketable skills so obviously lives off his wife's income
> and whatever he can beg from his kids and his fat niece who helps to
> to support him.
>
> Anyone who posts 24/7 has NO job. I can post 24/7 because I'm
> retired with a substantial pension from a real job, but you and Dave
> have never had a real job and still dont.
>
> Like you Dave has worked here and there but neither have real
> marketable skills... if you didn't inherit your parent's assets you'd
> be homeless, if Dave didn't have a fool for a wife he'd be homeless as
> well. I've had more than enough email/phone conversations with you to
> know you are a phony... you should learn to STFU while you're ahead.

Dang Sheldon, that's coming off sounding like bitter jealousy. If they
got money from their parents or spouse, more power to them. But for all
you know they might also be living off wise investments they made years
ago. Just because they don't share all their personal financial inform-
ation with us gives you no right to say the things you do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I have a fool for a wife? Coming from a guy who is on wife number
> three??? Really?

I thought Penfart had 3 wives *before* this one, making her fool #4 ?
It's easy to see why they all pitched him.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 6:02:19 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:

> I thought Penfart had 3 wives *before* this one, making her fool #4 ?
> It's easy to see why they all pitched him.

That is my understanding as well; present wife is #4.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 18 Mar 2018 19:20:38 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Sunday, March 18, 2018 at 6:02:19 PM UTC-5, Hank Rogers wrote:
>>
>> I thought Penfart had 3 wives *before* this one, making her fool #4 ?
>> It's easy to see why they all pitched him.
>>

>That is my understanding as well; present wife is #4.

That means 4 women said "Yes" when he asked them to marry him. He must
be irresistible.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Apprenticeship programs are expensive to run so openings are generally
>>> allotted according to demand in order for it to meet industry demands.
>>> They don't spend a lot of money to train people for jobs that don't
>>> exist.Â* There is not much point in offering an apprenticeship program if
>>> there is nowhere for the students to put in the apprenticeship time.
>>> There are more electricians, plumbers and pipe fitters working in
>>> industrial, construction and manufacturing than there are doing
>>> household repairs. When manufacturing moves off shore there is no work
>>> for those guys here.

>> The "industry" that Sheldon seems to hark back to mostly doesn't exist
>> in North America anymore. It depends on where you live. But it's still
>> not the fault of "young folks" who are afraid to get their hands dirty.
>>
>> Where I live, on a good note, there are lots of small companies who
>> don't mind doing household repairs. But yes, they also get contracts
>> for much larger projects in the area. I had a problem with the bathroom
>> sinks earlier this month. The plumber who came to my house was also
>> working on a new resort on Hilton Head. He took the time to fit me into
>> his schedule since he'd be "in the area" anyway. It's not exactly in
>> the area. I'm about 50 miles away from Hilton Head. But he came over,
>> fixed the problem. No worries about it being a small residential job.
>> What was my point? Oh yeah... he brought an "apprentice plumber" with
>> him.
>>
>> Jill

> You and Dave are both MORONS.
> Neither of you has a job.

Your opinion has absolutely nothing to do with your sweeping claims that
"young folks" are afraid to get their hands dirty. If there isn't any
manufacturing in the US where are they supposed to get this
apprenticeship/training? And for what jobs? You're just trying to deflect.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Some of yoose must use a ton of TP... we don't use so much that price
>>> matters, only Scott is good enough to wipe our nether regions. heheh

>> They have gone around the bend closer to sandpaper.

> We haven't found that to be the case, however they have made the rolls
> a 1/2" narrower. They really should have supplied a mail-in to
> receive a TP holder spindle to better fit the new narrower rolls.
> We have tried but don't like those poofier brands.
>
> I recently read that it's advised to close the toilet lid prior to
> flushing as some toilet spray can spread tiny droplets up to 6' away
> and if it falls on your TP can give a nasty infection.

I always close the lid prior to flushing. Can't think of a reason not
to since I'm going to be closing it anyway.

What I can't stand (but *understand*) are toilets that flush
automatically, like in airports and other large venues with public
restrooms. I get the point because some people have disgusting habits,
but you barely have time to get off the seat before whooosh! it's
flushing and sometimes spraying. Ugh.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/16/2018 6:54 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/16/2018 2:10 PM, Gary wrote:
>

>> IMO, these pay-for membership stores are a joke. They only
>> survive now because dummies pay them for a membership.Â* You want
>> me to pay you to be able to shop at your store? Yeah right. Bite
>> me and good luck.

> I used to feel that way too, but then I checked them out.Â* As I already
> stated, just on one OTC medication we save enough to more than pay for
> the membership.Â* Cheaper than Wal Mart or any of the chain drug stores.
>
> Do you want to pay $4.49 for pork loin at the supermarket of #1.99 at
> the club store?Â* Your choice.Â* Not everything is a bargain, but many
> are.Â* Propane?Â* I fill a half dozen tanks a year and save at least $30
> right there.

If it works for you (it obviously works for a lot of people), why not?
I'd have to drive to Savannah so it wouldn't work for me. I can't see
driving 70 miles one way just to shop at Costco. I'm sure lots of
people in this area do, though.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-19 11:21 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 3/16/2018 10:56 AM, wrote:

>> I recently read that it's advised to close the toilet lid prior to
>> flushing as some toilet spray canÂ* spread tiny droplets up to 6' away
>> and if it falls on your TP can give a nasty infection.
>>

> I always close the lid prior to flushing.Â* Can't think of a reason not
> to since I'm going to be closing it anyway.

Close the lid? I thought the only reason for the lid was for someone to
sit on while they talk to someone having a bath.

I confess to leaving the seat up. Then no one would have any reason to
wonder why it is wet. ;-)

My new dog is intrigued by my use of the toilet. Whenever I flush the
toilet he likes to rush over and check it out. Maybe he wants to make
sure everything went down.

> What I can't stand (but *understand*) are toilets that flush
> automatically, like in airports and other large venues with public
> restrooms.Â* I get the point because some people have disgusting habits,
> but you barely have time to get off the seat before whooosh! it's
> flushing and sometimes spraying.Â* Ugh.

It is disgusting to go into a public toilet and see that the previous
user did not flush. I have used enough public facilities over the years
that I should be happy that they managed to aim. There are few things
grosser than being desperate to go and seeing that someone has crapped
on the seat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 10:34:00 AM UTC-5, Jill McQuown wrote:

> On 3/16/2018 7:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>
> I also counted about 16 batteries in use
> > around the house.Â* TV remotes, thermostat, clocks,. soap dispensers,
> > flashlights, computer mouse.

> Your thermostat requires batteries? Hmmmm.
>
> Jill

My two thermostats require batteries for the backlit screen. Not
for the actual operation of them to control temperatures.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 12:24:29 PM UTC-5, Gary wrote:

> Yeah...not mine either and no wireless mice here.

If you get a chance to find one on sale, try a wireless mouse.
No cords hanging off the table/desk and no tangling either.
But I do admit I have a corded mouse hidden away when after
several years the wireless ones do seem to go berserk and new
batteries don't help.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-19 11:33 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 3/16/2018 7:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> Still...why in the HEll would anyone buy so many damn batteries?
>>> Baffles me. Unless you are a battery every damn thing person,
>>> most of those would grow old before you need to use that many.
>>>

>> They are considerably cheaper than the 4 pack at the drug store.Â*Â* I
>> just looked at one of the batteries from a 48 pack and it is good to
>> 2026 but will be used up soon.Â* I also counted about 16 batteries in
>> use around the house.Â* TV remotes, thermostat, clocks,. soap
>> dispensers, flashlights, computer mouse.

> Your thermostat requires batteries? Hmmmm.

Most programmable thermostats have batteries. I am in the same position
as Ed. I have a lot of gadgets that use AAA batteries... computer mouse
and keyboard, wall clocks, kitchen timers, TV, BluRay and satellite
remotes, GPS, minimag flashlights, LED flashlights and more. Modern
alkaline batteries have a long shelf life and the cost per battery in a
pack of 20 or more is a small fraction of the cost of buying them 2 or 4
at a time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 19 Mar 2018 09:41:10 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 11:34:00 AM UTC-4, Jill McQuown wrote:

>> > They are considerably cheaper than the 4 pack at the drug store.** I
>> > just looked at one of the batteries from a 48 pack and it is good to
>> > 2026 but will be used up soon.* I also counted about 16 batteries in use
>> > around the house.* TV remotes, thermostat, clocks,. soap dispensers,
>> > flashlights, computer mouse.

>> Your thermostat requires batteries? Hmmmm.
>>
>> Jill

>Programmable thermostat. I've got mine programmed to adjust the
>temperature when I go to work: downward in the winter and
>upward in the summer.
>
>Mine takes a 9-volt battery that I change once a year. It probably
>doesn't need to be changed even that frequently.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

We have three programable thermostats, two heating zones and one for
the A/C... each takes two AAs. We have three smoke detectors and one
monoxide detector, together they use three 9Vs, and 8 AAs... the smoke
detectors have an emergency light which is why the 9Vs. We each have
our own desktop pc, each mouse takes 2 AAs and those are changed like
every 3/4 months.. We have four TVs, each remote takes 2 AAs... those
last about 1 1/2 yrs... in fact each TV has two remotes, one from the
TV manufacturer and one from the cable company.... right there are 16
AAs. We have 3 atomic clocks, each take two AAs. My remote weather
station takes 6 AAs. The water softener takes one AA. I'm not even
counting flash lights two in the house and one in each car.
and two battery lanterns, each takes 3 D cells. Two cameras, each
uses 4 AA cells, but those are rechageables. My wife uses a tablet
that takes batterys but I don't know which type, and she has knitting
stitch counters that take batterys too. I'm sure I'm forgetting some
batterys... we go through a lot of batterys and we don't even have
kids with battery operated toys. There exist battery operated cat
toys but so far I've resisted.
Next time I will buy Amazon brand batterys, they are half the price of
Duracell Copper Tops.
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...d=3FVR15K1CHXG
Oh, I forgot the two wireless keyboards, that's four more AAs, and
those don't last as long as the wireless mouses

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-19 11:48 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Most programmable thermostats have batteries. I am in the same position
> as Ed. I have a lot of gadgets that use AAA batteries... computer mouse
> and keyboard, wall clocks, kitchen timers, TV, BluRay and satellite
> remotes, GPS, minimag flashlights, LED flashlights and more.Â* Modern
> alkaline batteries have a long shelf life and the cost per battery in a
> pack of 20 or more is a small fraction of the cost of buying them 2 or 4
> at a time.

The most annoying thing I've found is that many devices such as LED
flashlights, require 3 AAAs but they are sold in pairs. Therefore, I buy
those in bulk as well as AAs.
I've found that supermarket brands in bulk are cheaper than small packs
of Duracell etc.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 3/16/2018 7:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > They are considerably cheaper than the 4 pack at the drug store.  I
> > just looked at one of the batteries from a 48 pack and it is good to
> > 2026 but will be used up soon. I also counted about 16 batteries in use
> > around the house. TV remotes, thermostat, clocks,. soap dispensers,
> > flashlights, computer mouse.

> Your thermostat requires batteries? Hmmmm.

Yeah...not mine either and no wireless mice here. The soap
dispensers cracked me up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Programmable thermostat. I've got mine programmed to adjust the
> temperature when I go to work: downward in the winter and
> upward in the summer.
>
> Mine takes a 9-volt battery that I change once a year. It probably
> doesn't need to be changed even that frequently.

I turn mine off at night, and also when I goto work. Once at
home, I adjust it as necessary. Takes about 10 minutes to fix a
temp problem here. No battery automatic nonsense.

You are not capable of doing that yourself, Cindy?