Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dubliner cheese?

On 3/15/2018 4:39 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 9:16:08 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> Pay them a fair wage for a start.

> That might be true. I don't believe it's the foremost thing. There's things more important than money.

Of course, but if you start the day knowing you are getting slave wages,
it goes downhill.

Good management attitude, respect, proper scheduling of work times all
come into play. A lot of intangibles make the job a good one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 13:39:10 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 9:16:08 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> Pay them a fair wage for a start.

>That might be true. I don't believe it's the foremost thing. There's things more important than money.

What's a fair wage for a teen stocking shelves with groceries and
retrieving carts from the parking lot?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 10:44:54 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Of course, but if you start the day knowing you are getting slave wages,
> it goes downhill.
>
> Good management attitude, respect, proper scheduling of work times all
> come into play. A lot of intangibles make the job a good one.

I've never worked at a job where money was the primary concern. My favorite job was one where I was getting awful pay while working for a temp agency. In the end, the company I was temping for hired me for a decent wage but I had to quit to get back to Hawaii.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 12:10:43 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> What's a fair wage for a teen stocking shelves with groceries and
> retrieving carts from the parking lot?

I don't know. 2 bucks?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2018 1:58 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-03-15 10:56 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> You gotta love Costco for their cheeses, if nothing else. I never
>>> used to be a fan of Costco but recently renewed my long expired
>>> membership. My wife had a real thing against them and refused to go
>>> and get her card.

>> How funny, you don't often hear bad feelings towards Costco.Â* Maybe it's
>> not for everyone but they don't seem to incite ill will.
>>

> They have a very good reputation regarding the way they treat their
> staff, unlike Walmart.
> My needs are small so I only shop there when I have guests who are members.

Agreed, we find plenty of stuff to buy there but the more people you're
shopping for, the better.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Thu 15 Mar 2018 10:58:14a, graham told us...
>
>> On 2018-03-15 10:56 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>>> How funny, you don't often hear bad feelings towards Costco.Â
>>> Maybe it's not for everyone but they don't seem to incite ill
>>> will.
>>>

>> They have a very good reputation regarding the way they treat
>> their staff, unlike Walmart.
>> My needs are small so I only shop there when I have guests who are
>> members.
>>

> We like shopping at Costco, but I have to say that we pass up or
> ignore the vast majority of products they sell.
>
> For two people the quantities are two large, or the products are of
> no interest.

It's just two of us, too, but we find plenty of things to buy on a
regular basis. Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that you should
also, if it doesn't work for you, that's how it is. Like Dave, I have
a foodsaver so a package of 10 porkk chops gets split up and we're good.
I have storage for big packs of TP and boxes of chicken stock. I love
buying a box of garbage bags that lasts for a long time and I don't have
to keep an eye on the supply.

There's something you can't bottle, I just plain like shopping there.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 7:58:19 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:

> They have a very good reputation regarding the way they treat their
> staff, unlike Walmart.
> My needs are small so I only shop there when I have guests who are members.

Costco used to sell vanilla extract for under $7 a pint. These days it's about $24/pint. Oh no!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 15:28:26 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 12:10:43 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> What's a fair wage for a teen stocking shelves with groceries and
>> retrieving carts from the parking lot?

>I don't know. 2 bucks?

I'm sure they are paid more for those jobs today but I worked for mom
n' pop groceries for minimum wage (75¢/hr in those days), and they
worked me hard.... I delivered groceries with a heavy truck bike and
when the truck arrived with stock I sweat my ass off in the basement
putting heavy cartons on shelves. Doing that kind of entry level work
was an excellent learning experience, taught me to learn how to do a
job that paid a lot more. Stocking grocery shelves is hardly worth
today's minimum wage.... fast food burger flipper isn't worth 1950's
minimum wage.... very easy to replace with robots.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 8:26:10 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:

> My sympathies for the ruined beast.
>
> Here's a review from the Cooks Country or test kitchen show
> about the best spiral sliced hams...they compared a few of them
> and the winner was....
>
> Johnson County (or country) Spiral Sliced Ham. From the state of
> NC. They were rated the best. I plan to look out for one just to
> give it a try.

Don't worry about that. I will pray for this cow that gave up it's life so that the world may live. We shall partake of it's flesh and drink of his blood on the day of the Irish saint. In this way shall we remember the saint and beast. No ale shall we partake of. Who the heck wants to remember plant parts and seeds anyway?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 19:03:29 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>On 3/15/2018 1:58 PM, graham wrote:

>>> How funny, you don't often hear bad feelings towards Costco.* Maybe it's
>>> not for everyone but they don't seem to incite ill will.
>>>

>> They have a very good reputation regarding the way they treat their
>> staff, unlike Walmart.
>> My needs are small so I only shop there when I have guests who are members.

>Agreed, we find plenty of stuff to buy there but the more people you're
>shopping for, the better.
>
>nancy

My friend and I were able to share a membership because her condo was
next to mine and the clerk didn't notice the unit numbers were not the
same. I never said a word while we signed up as sisters because she
is broad Newfie and it would have been clear we couldn't possibly be
sisters At half price it is worth both our whiles to shop there,
although I get a knee jerk reaction to both paying to shop and then
that employee who checks your cart as you leave 'to make sure you have
everything you paid for' arrggh

I have always heard they are generous with their employees and I
applaud them for that and once when one of my greatgrandchildren threw
up in Costco, my granddaughter said everyone rushed to assist and
helped her in an extremely kind, friendly manner.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 19:19:54 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>On 3/15/2018 2:47 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> They have a very good reputation regarding the way they treat
>>> their staff, unlike Walmart.
>>> My needs are small so I only shop there when I have guests who are
>>> members.
>>>

>> We like shopping at Costco, but I have to say that we pass up or
>> ignore the vast majority of products they sell.
>>
>> For two people the quantities are two large, or the products are of
>> no interest.

>It's just two of us, too, but we find plenty of things to buy on a
>regular basis. Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that you should
>also, if it doesn't work for you, that's how it is. Like Dave, I have
>a foodsaver so a package of 10 porkk chops gets split up and we're good.
>I have storage for big packs of TP and boxes of chicken stock. I love
>buying a box of garbage bags that lasts for a long time and I don't have
>to keep an eye on the supply.
>
>There's something you can't bottle, I just plain like shopping there.
>
>nancy

Up here the Kirkland TP is the best seller. I also buy that, it's
irresistible for the price.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 1:41:48 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> I'm sure they are paid more for those jobs today but I worked for mom
> n' pop groceries for minimum wage (75¢/hr in those days), and they
> worked me hard.... I delivered groceries with a heavy truck bike and
> when the truck arrived with stock I sweat my ass off in the basement
> putting heavy cartons on shelves. Doing that kind of entry level work
> was an excellent learning experience, taught me to learn how to do a
> job that paid a lot more. Stocking grocery shelves is hardly worth
> today's minimum wage.... fast food burger flipper isn't worth 1950's
> minimum wage.... very easy to replace with robots.

I worked for an electronics manufacturer through a temp agency and learned about the whole process from prepping components to final burn-in. Those guys moved me all over the factory. The managers were visibly disturbed when I told them I was getting paid $6/hour. One of them gasped. I didn't care. It was a heck of an experience.

Being forced to work for money would be the most depressing situation to be in. I won't do it. These days, I'm more interested in helping people rather than making bucks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>On 3/15/2018 2:47 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> They have a very good reputation regarding the way they treat
>>> their staff, unlike Walmart.
>>> My needs are small so I only shop there when I have guests who are
>>> members.
>>>

>> We like shopping at Costco, but I have to say that we pass up or
>> ignore the vast majority of products they sell.
>>
>> For two people the quantities are two large, or the products are of
>> no interest.

>It's just two of us, too, but we find plenty of things to buy on a
>regular basis. Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing that you should
>also, if it doesn't work for you, that's how it is. Like Dave, I have
>a foodsaver so a package of 10 porkk chops gets split up and we're good.
>I have storage for big packs of TP and boxes of chicken stock. I love
>buying a box of garbage bags that lasts for a long time and I don't have
>to keep an eye on the supply.
>
>There's something you can't bottle, I just plain like shopping there.
>
>nancy

There's no Costco nearby but we have BJs, pretty much the same. And
since we have lots of storage space there is good savings in buying
items in large sizes and/or by the case.
I buy bulk sizes at Amazon too... Amazon has great prices on their own
brand batteries now, about half the price of copper tops and I'm sure
it's the same battery. Anything I can buy on line I do, why bother
driving store to store when with a couple mouse clicks
it's delivered right to my door.
I like licorice cough drops, this is a great buy for five packs, and
they are hard to find at stores:
https://www.amazon.com/Ludens-Throat...n%27s+licorice

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-15 5:36 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 7:58:19 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
>>
>> They have a very good reputation regarding the way they treat their
>> staff, unlike Walmart.
>> My needs are small so I only shop there when I have guests who are members.

> Costco used to sell vanilla extract for under $7 a pint. These days it's about $24/pint. Oh no!

It's the same everywhere. The hurricane that hit Madagascar destroyed
much of the vanilla orchid crop. The price increase was inevitable.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 16:36:28 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 7:58:19 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
>>
>> They have a very good reputation regarding the way they treat their
>> staff, unlike Walmart.

I have no problem shopping at Walmart's super stores, employees are
extremely helpful and very courtious

>Costco used to sell vanilla extract for under $7 a pint. These days it's about $24/pint. Oh no!

Vanilla should be free in Aloha Land... doesn't it grow wild there?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2018 7:50 PM, wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 19:03:29 -0400, Nancy Young >
> wrote:

>> Agreed, we find plenty of stuff to buy there but the more people you're
>> shopping for, the better.

> My friend and I were able to share a membership because her condo was
> next to mine and the clerk didn't notice the unit numbers were not the
> same. I never said a word while we signed up as sisters because she
> is broad Newfie and it would have been clear we couldn't possibly be
> sisters

I really think it's in their best interest to let people in your
situation or similar go in together on a membership because otherwise
neither of you might shop there.

> At half price it is worth both our whiles to shop there,
> although I get a knee jerk reaction to both paying to shop and then
> that employee who checks your cart as you leave 'to make sure you have
> everything you paid for' arrggh

Really, I can't say I get that and it's kind of insulting. Perhaps it's
employee theft they're guarding against, clerks being in cahoots with
something and not ringing up all the items.

> I have always heard they are generous with their employees and I
> applaud them for that and once when one of my greatgrandchildren threw
> up in Costco, my granddaughter said everyone rushed to assist and
> helped her in an extremely kind, friendly manner.

I can't say I've ever run into an employee who wasn't at the very
least polite. And they're always on top of checking out your stuff,
not stopping to chit chat with each other, if they are talking they're
still working, I appreciate that.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 2:46:32 PM UTC-10, graham wrote:
> It's the same everywhere. The hurricane that hit Madagascar destroyed
> much of the vanilla orchid crop. The price increase was inevitable.
> Graham

I was unaware of the situation in Madagascar. Thanks for the info.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 2:52:03 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> Vanilla should be free in Aloha Land... doesn't it grow wild there?

People love orchids on this rock. It's grown commercially and as a hobby. I've never seen a single vanilla bean grown on this rock. That may change.

https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/conte...ucational-stop

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2018 8:54 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 3/15/2018 7:50 PM, wrote:
>> On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 19:03:29 -0400, Nancy Young >
>> wrote:

>>> Agreed, we find plenty of stuff to buy there but the more people you're
>>> shopping for, the better.

>> My friend and I were able to share a membership because her condo was
>> next to mine and the clerk didn't notice the unit numbers were not the
>> same.Â* I never said a word while we signed up as sisters because she
>> is broad Newfie and it would have been clear we couldn't possibly be
>> sisters

> I really think it's in their best interest to let people in your
> situation or similar go in together on a membership because otherwise
> neither of you might shop there.
>
>> At half price it is worth both our whiles to shop there,
>> although I get a knee jerk reaction to both paying to shop and then
>> that employee who checks your cart as you leave 'to make sure you have
>> everything you paid for'Â* arrggh

> Really, I can't say I get that and it's kind of insulting.Â* Perhaps it's
> employee theft they're guarding against, clerks being in cahoots with
> something and not ringing up all the items.

It is amazing what people will do to cheat and steal. Put packages
inside of larger ones, switch price tags, etc. While you may be
insulted that they check, they are helping to keep prices low for
everyone.

Found this:
Cost of Shoplifting
Theft from stores, including employee and vendor theft, cost retailers
many billions of dollars per year. Independent retail studies* have
estimated theft from retail stores costs the American public 33.21
billion dollars per year. Depending on the type of retail store, retail
inventory loss ranges from .7%-2.2% of gross sales with the average
falling around 1.70%. Whole retail store chains have gone out of
business due to their inability to control retail theft losses. And
worse yet, the cost of these losses are passed on to us...the consumer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 15 Mar 2018 18:04:37 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 2:52:03 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
>>
>> Vanilla should be free in Aloha Land... doesn't it grow wild there?

>People love orchids on this rock. It's grown commercially and as a hobby. I've never seen a single vanilla bean grown on this rock. That may change.
>
>https://www.hawaiimagazine.com/conte...ucational-stop

Nothing stopping you from growing your own. One of my long time
friends is the President of the NYC Orchid Growers Association, he
tells me vanilla beans are easy to grow in NYC.... so easy to grow
that orchard growers much rather grow the rarer varieties.

Truth be known that with modern chemistry vanilla flavoring can't be
told from real vanilla, even trained sniffer dogs can't tell.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-15 7:36 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 7:58:19 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
>>
>> They have a very good reputation regarding the way they treat their
>> staff, unlike Walmart.
>> My needs are small so I only shop there when I have guests who are members.

> Costco used to sell vanilla extract for under $7 a pint. These days it's about $24/pint. Oh no!

I just got some at Costco last week..... $38.95.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-15 8:46 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2018-03-15 5:36 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 7:58:19 AM UTC-10, graham wrote:
>>>
>>> They have a very good reputation regarding the way they treat their
>>> staff, unlike Walmart.
>>> My needs are small so I only shop there when I have guests who are
>>> members.

>> Costco used to sell vanilla extract for under $7 a pint. These days
>> it's about $24/pint. Oh no!
>>

> It's the same everywhere. The hurricane that hit Madagascar destroyed
> much of the vanilla orchid crop. The price increase was inevitable.

The Globe and Mail ran a story about vanilla a few days ago.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life...ticle38268619/

I had a bottle of Watkins vanilla that i got from a restaurant supply
store last year $22. It was running low and I went there a few weeks ago
to get a new one but they are not carrying it because they would have to
charge $30 for it. I said I would pay that much so she said she would
try to get some. Last week I was heading to Costco and vanilla was on
my list. Since I had told the woman I would pay the price I went to the
restaurant supply store first. She said the price had gone up again so
she was not carrying it. I ended up paying $38.95 at Costco.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2018 9:16 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/15/2018 8:54 PM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Really, I can't say I get that and it's kind of insulting.Â* Perhaps it's
>> employee theft they're guarding against, clerks being in cahoots with
>> something and not ringing up all the items.
>>

> It is amazing what people will do to cheat and steal.Â* Put packages
> inside of larger ones, switchÂ* price tags, etc.Â* While you may be
> insulted that they check, they are helping to keep prices low for everyone.

Imagine if all stores did that? Thing is I'm a member, they know who I
am and I am "checked" as I go through the checkout lane. Nothing to
steal past that except maybe a churro. So that's why I thought perhaps
it's a method of preventing employee fraud.

I have experienced going through checkout at hardware stores and they
checked in the toolbox I bought, or the garbage can. I was not
insulted.

> Found this:
> Cost of Shoplifting
> Theft from stores, including employee and vendor theft, cost retailers
> many billions of dollars per year. Independent retail studies* have
> estimated theft from retail stores costs the American public 33.21
> billion dollars per year. Depending on the type of retail store, retail
> inventory loss ranges from .7%-2.2% of gross sales with the average
> falling around 1.70%. Whole retail store chains have gone out of
> business due to their inability to control retail theft losses. And
> worse yet, the cost of these losses are passed on to us...the consumer.

I've seen the numbers and it's staggering. Really amazing.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 3/15/2018 11:00 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2018-03-15 7:36 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>> Costco used to sell vanilla extract for under $7 a pint. These days
>> it's about $24/pint. Oh no!
>>

> I just got some at Costco last week..... $38.95.

I bought a bottle around Christmas to get one while I could as it had
gone up from 24 to 28 in weeks. Yikes.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-15 9:16 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 3/15/2018 8:54 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
>

>> Really, I can't say I get that and it's kind of insulting.Â* Perhaps it's
>> employee theft they're guarding against, clerks being in cahoots with
>> something and not ringing up all the items.
>>

> It is amazing what people will do to cheat and steal.Â* Put packages
> inside of larger ones, switchÂ* price tags, etc.Â* While you may be
> insulted that they check, they are helping to keep prices low for everyone.

I saw a woman pulling a fast one in a grocery store. It was the only
time I ever saw asparagus being sold by the bundle instead of buy the
pound. This little Asian woman was pretty good. She would grab two
bundles and then very quickly and discretely slip about 1/3 of one
bundle and slip it into the other one and then put back the now smaller
one.

> Found this:
> Cost of Shoplifting
> Theft from stores, including employee and vendor theft, cost retailers
> many billions of dollars per year. Independent retail studies* have
> estimated theft from retail stores costs the American public 33.21
> billion dollars per year. Depending on the type of retail store, retail
> inventory loss ranges from .7%-2.2% of gross sales with the average
> falling around 1.70%. Whole retail store chains have gone out of
> business due to their inability to control retail theft losses. And
> worse yet, the cost of these losses are passed on to us...the consumer.

I worked in a department store when I was in school. The security staff
kept a close watch on kids because they were the only shoplifters they
were able to catch. However, they did catch a major thief.... the assist
manager.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-03-15 11:19 PM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 3/15/2018 9:16 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Imagine if all stores did that?Â* Thing is I'm a member, they know who I
> am and I am "checked" as I go through the checkout lane.Â* Nothing to
> steal past that except maybe a churro.Â* So that's why I thought perhaps
> it's a method of preventing employee fraud.
>
> I have experienced going through checkout at hardware stores and they
> checked in the toolbox I bought, or the garbage can.Â* I was not insulted.

There was an interesting case here a few months ago when some native guy
filmed a Canadian Tire employee dealing with him and claimed that is was
a racist incident. The guy was buying a chain saw that came with a
carrying case. The employee was refusing to sell him the saw and kicking
him out of the store. Seems he had opened up the case and stuck a can of
oil in the case.

w>
>> Found this:
>> Cost of Shoplifting
>> Theft from stores, including employee and vendor theft, cost retailers
>> many billions of dollars per year. Independent retail studies* have
>> estimated theft from retail stores costs the American public 33.21
>> billion dollars per year. Depending on the type of retail store,
>> retail inventory loss ranges from .7%-2.2% of gross sales with the
>> average falling around 1.70%. Whole retail store chains have gone out
>> of business due to their inability to control retail theft losses. And
>> worse yet, the cost of these losses are passed on to us...the consumer.

> I've seen the numbers and it's staggering.Â* Really amazing.

It is one of many problems leading to shrinkage. When I worked in the
toy and sporting goods department of a store one of our biggest problems
was people opening up packages to look at the contents. Happy with what
they found, they would grab an unopened box.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 3:26:06 PM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:

> Nothing stopping you from growing your own. One of my long time
> friends is the President of the NYC Orchid Growers Association, he
> tells me vanilla beans are easy to grow in NYC.... so easy to grow
> that orchard growers much rather grow the rarer varieties.
>
> Truth be known that with modern chemistry vanilla flavoring can't be
> told from real vanilla, even trained sniffer dogs can't tell.

You're wrong about that. Everything is stopping me from growing my own. I've never grown anything in my life. I don't got no stinkin' time to grow no stinkin' plants.

You're wrong about fake vanilla. I've bought fake vanilla - lots of it. I can easily tell the difference. The fake stuff has a very shallow kind of smell to it. My guess is that your sense of smell is totally shot to hell.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, March 15, 2018 at 5:00:58 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> I just got some at Costco last week..... $38.95.

I have a pint and a half left. Hopefully, that will last until the prices ease up. Or will it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

There is no Costco in WV and I doubt there ever will be one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 16 Mar 2018 04:47:54 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>There is no Costco in WV and I doubt there ever will be one.

I thought sometimes in the USA it's called Sams Club?