Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner tonight (1/15/2018) Salmon Patties

On 1/17/2018 2:07 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1"Â* wrote in message
>
> On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 1:32:10 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:
>
>> Nah, that's Dago stuff Popeye! Yoose knows dat everybody with any sense
>> drinks only Crystal Palace.

> Racial slurs aren't used much on this rock so I never knew that "dago"
> was a derogatory term.Â* We had a friend named Dago in high school. I
> think his real name was "Robert." In our HS yearbook, he's listed as
> Dago. Nobody said a thing about it.
>
> It was only years later when we found out about this. I met him years
> later. He was carrying a guitar and said he was the pastor of his own
> church. I hesitated to call him Dago. The next time I see him, I'm going
> to ask him "what was up with that name?"
>
> ==
>
> I am surprised nobody is calling 'racist' (((

Thankfully that particular name has lost a lot of traction here in the
mainland since the days of Italian immigration.

Cue Ed to say - not where I live!

If so he may be right, the least coast has its own unique culture.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2018 2:08 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Casa de Haoles"Â* wrote in message news >
> On 1/16/2018 5:15 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 1:32:10 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:
>>
>>> Nah, that's Dago stuff Popeye! Yoose knows dat everybody with any sense
>>> drinks only Crystal Palace.

>> Racial slurs aren't used much on this rock so I never knew that "dago"
>> was a derogatory term.

> Is that why the SPLC has a page on your rock?
>
> Is Haole not a racist slur?
>
> Are you going to backfill this trench indefinitely?
>
> I think I authoritatively showed that racism on your rock is a big thing.
> ==
>
> Please don't.

I've made my point and will move on, thank you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mushroom risotto

On 1/17/2018 2:22 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk"Â* wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

>> D likes it and for later in the week he has asked for mushroom
>> risotto.Â* What a labour of love that is ... 20 mins stirring LOL
>>
>> I keep several types of rice in for him, but especially Arborio for
>> his risotto

> Love to see your recipe for that!Â* Yes, unlike Congee, it's a stir type
> from what I have seen.
>
> ==
>
> Mushroom Risotto Recipe
>
> 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
> 2 pints chicken stock
> 1/2 cup white wine
> 1 medium shallot, chopped (about ½ cup)
> 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
> 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
> 1 tablespoonÂ* vegetable oil
> 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
> 1 tablespoonÂ* chopped Italian parsley
> Salt, to taste
>
> Heat the stock to a simmer then lower the heat so that the stock just
> stays hot.
>
> Melt 1 Tbsp of the butter in a saute pan and saute the sliced mushrooms
> until they're soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
>
> Heat the oil and 1 Tbsp of the butter. When the butter has melted, add
> the chopped shallotÂ* Saute for 2-3 minutes or until it is slightly
> translucent.
>
> Add the rice to the pot and stir it briskly with a wooden spoon so that
> the grains are coated with the oil and melted butter. Saute for another
> minute or so, until there is a slightly nutty aroma. But don't let the
> rice turn brown.
>
> Add the wine and cook while stirring, until the liquid is fully absorbed.
>
> Add a ladle of hot stock to the rice and stir until the liquid is fully
> absorbed. When the rice appears almost dry, add another ladle of stock
> and repeat the process.
>
> It's important to stir constantly, especially while the hot stock gets
> absorbed, to prevent scorching, and add the next ladle as soon as the
> rice is almost dry.
>
> Continue adding ladles of hot stock and stirring the rice while the
> liquid is absorbed. As it cooks, you'll see that the rice will take on a
> creamy consistency as it begins to release its natural starches.
>
> Continue adding stock, a ladle at a time, for 20-30 minutes or until the
> grains are tender but still firm to the bite, without being crunchy.
>
> When you're down to your last few ladles of stock, add the cooked
> mushrooms. If you run out of stock and the risotto still isn't done, you
> can finish the cooking using hot water. Just add the water as you did
> with the stock, a ladle at a time, stirring while it's absorbed.
>
> Stir in the remaining 2 Tbsp butter, the parmesan cheese, and the
> parsley, and season to taste with salt.
>
> (Risotto turns glutinous if held for too long, so you should serve it
> right away. A properly cooked risotto should form a soft, creamy mound
> on a dinner plate. It shouldn't run across the plate, nor should it be
> [...]

Brilliant recipe and advice - it is one of those dishes to be finished
up, not great leftover material.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"casa de los sueños" wrote in message news
On 1/17/2018 2:08 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Casa de Haoles" wrote in message news >
> On 1/16/2018 5:15 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 1:32:10 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:
>>
>>> Nah, that's Dago stuff Popeye! Yoose knows dat everybody with any sense
>>> drinks only Crystal Palace.

>> Racial slurs aren't used much on this rock so I never knew that "dago"
>> was a derogatory term.

> Is that why the SPLC has a page on your rock?
>
> Is Haole not a racist slur?
>
> Are you going to backfill this trench indefinitely?
>
> I think I authoritatively showed that racism on your rock is a big thing.
> ==
>
> Please don't.

I've made my point and will move on, thank you.

==

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> [...]

> Continue adding stock, a ladle at a time, for 20-30 minutes or until the
> grains are tender but still firm to the bite, without being crunchy.
>
> When you're down to your last few ladles of stock, add the cooked
> mushrooms. If you run out of stock and the risotto still isn't done, you
> can finish the cooking using hot water. Just add the water as you did with
> the stock, a ladle at a time, stirring while it's absorbed.
>
> Stir in the remaining 2 Tbsp butter, the parmesan cheese, and the parsley,
> and season to taste with salt.
>
> (Risotto turns glutinous if held for too long, so you should serve it
> right away. A properly cooked risotto should form a soft, creamy mound on
> a dinner plate. It shouldn't run across the plate, nor should it be stiff
> or gluey.)

Brilliant recipe and advice - it is one of those dishes to be finished

Trust me, my husband never leaves a grain <g>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2018 9:11 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Looks good but I'd want more! Add rice at the side and happy.

>> I'd be happy with more squash. Clearly, Jill was happy with what
>> she plated.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> Agreed! I'm just more greedy for veggies! Or a starch. Humm, happy
> with the portions she had. It's possible she had a small salad with it
> (not in the picture).

Not I! I despise salad greens (the exception is a wilted spinach
salad). I made and ate more squash than was on the plate.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 09:06:18 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Hank Rogers" wrote in message news >
>jmcquown wrote:

>>> Probably 6 months for us.

>> Maybe because I ate a lot of rice as a child I'm just not a big fan of
>> rice. It's definitely not something I stock up on, although it does
>> store well. Just checked the pantry, I have a half a pound of rice from
>> when I made the red beans & rice. I think I brought it with me 10 years
>> ago. That's one thing rice is good for, long term storage.
>>
>> Jill

>I like rice, but no more than 2 times a week. I never had rice much when
>growing up, and I never had to eat it in prison camps. One uncle was a
>prisoner in Korea, and he wanted nothing to do with rice or fish. I bet
>they gave him poor watery rice with fish heads for flavoring.
>
>I use a brand of jasmine rice from Thailand, (imperial dragon I think).
>It's the best I have been able to find at walmart, as there are not many
>other stores here, just a couple of mom and pop outfits.
>
>I get it in the 5 Lb size, about once or twice a year. Rice is indeed
>very good for long storage, better than corn, wheat, etc. But I would be
>suspect of ten year old product. Rice has such a mild taste, you might
>not notice when it has gone "off" a tad.
>==
>
>Rice goes off??? Ahh I take it you don't mean dried rice??

With time rice almost always develops an insect population. And brown
rice goes rancid due to the oil content of its bran.
I buy ten pound sacks of Canilla rice (the Goya brand). We eat rice
about twice a month, usually rice and black beans, Belize style, only
I use pork in lieu of gibnut... or fly lice, my wife says mine is
better than from any Chinese restaurant, that's because I prepare it
the way Chinese restaurants did more then fifty years ago, with time
what they began to serve is Puerto Rican style rice, not really fried.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2018 9:38 AM, wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 09:06:18 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>

>> "Hank Rogers" wrote in message news >>
>> jmcquown wrote:

>>> Maybe because I ate a lot of rice as a child I'm just not a big fan of
>>> rice. It's definitely not something I stock up on, although it does
>>> store well. Just checked the pantry, I have a half a pound of rice from
>>> when I made the red beans & rice. I think I brought it with me 10 years
>>> ago. That's one thing rice is good for, long term storage.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> I like rice, but no more than 2 times a week. I never had rice much when
>> growing up, and I never had to eat it in prison camps. One uncle was a
>> prisoner in Korea, and he wanted nothing to do with rice or fish. I bet
>> they gave him poor watery rice with fish heads for flavoring.
>>
>> I use a brand of jasmine rice from Thailand, (imperial dragon I think).
>> It's the best I have been able to find at walmart, as there are not many
>> other stores here, just a couple of mom and pop outfits.
>>
>> I get it in the 5 Lb size, about once or twice a year. Rice is indeed
>> very good for long storage, better than corn, wheat, etc. But I would be
>> suspect of ten year old product. Rice has such a mild taste, you might
>> not notice when it has gone "off" a tad.
>> ==
>>
>> Rice goes off??? Ahh I take it you don't mean dried rice??

> With time rice almost always develops an insect population.

Not out here it doesn't, too dry.

Also if you use a vacuum seal lidded container that stuff will not happen.

I like:

https://www.oxo.com/products/storage-organization/food

https://www.oxo.com/products/storage...iner-set-white

> And brown
> rice goes rancid due to the oil content of its bran.

It can.

> I buy ten pound sacks of Canilla rice (the Goya brand).

For larger storage these work well:

https://beprepared.com/food-storage/...ontainers.html

> We eat rice
> about twice a month, usually rice and black beans, Belize style, only
> I use pork in lieu of gibnut... or fly lice, my wife says mine is
> better than from any Chinese restaurant, that's because I prepare it
> the way Chinese restaurants did more then fifty years ago, with time
> what they began to serve is Puerto Rican style rice, not really fried.

Like this?

http://www.kitchengidget.com/2014/01...to-rican-rice/

Puerto Rican Rice

Save Print
Prep time
20 mins
Cook time
40 mins
Total time
1 hour

Arroz con gandules - Puerto Rican Rice with Pigeon Peas. Seriously the
best rice you've ever had!
Author: Rebekah | Kitchen Gidget
Serves: 8
Ingredients

3 cups medium or long grain white rice, rinsed
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 heaping tablespoons sofrito
4 ounces tomato sauce
1 can (15 ounces) gandules (pigeon peas), partially drained
2 heaping tablespoons alcaparrado
1 packet Sazón with Achiote (I use Goya brand)
1/2 packet ham flavoring (I use Goya brand Jamón)
1 teaspoon adobo
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground oregano
Salt and pepper to taste (start off with 2 teaspoons of salt)
4-6 cups hot water
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 09:07:51 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"dsi1" wrote in message
>
>On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 1:32:10 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:
>
>> Nah, that's Dago stuff Popeye! Yoose knows dat everybody with any sense
>> drinks only Crystal Palace.

That's true because so many to show off are into paying big bucks for
exactly the same booze in fancy schmancy bottles with artsy fartsy
labels. And if you're paying big bucks for flavored vodka then you're
an ignoranus putz who doesn't realize those flavors are how a lousy
batch is covered up.

>Racial slurs aren't used much on this rock so I never knew that "dago" was a
>derogatory term. We had a friend named Dago in high school. I think his
>real name was "Robert." In our HS yearbook, he's listed as Dago. Nobody said
>a thing about it.
>
>It was only years later when we found out about this. I met him years later.
>He was carrying a guitar and said he was the pastor of his own church. I
>hesitated to call him Dago. The next time I see him, I'm going to ask him
>"what was up with that name?"
>==
>
>I am surprised nobody is calling 'racist' (((

Many years ago in NYC Dago was considered a term of endearment, to
recognize/celebrate a friend's Italian heritage. In recent times the
term became derogatory, and that's because nowadays so many are into
degrading every ethnicity. Mick used to be a term of endearment
too.... I'm surprised that McDonalds hasn't changed it's name to Sir
Donald or some such... and especially now that The Donald is Prez.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 07:47:07 -0700, casa de los sueños >
wrote:

>On 1/17/2018 2:07 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>

>> "dsi1"* wrote in message
>>
>> On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 1:32:10 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:
>>
>>> Nah, that's Dago stuff Popeye! Yoose knows dat everybody with any sense
>>> drinks only Crystal Palace.

>> Racial slurs aren't used much on this rock so I never knew that "dago"
>> was a derogatory term.* We had a friend named Dago in high school. I
>> think his real name was "Robert." In our HS yearbook, he's listed as
>> Dago. Nobody said a thing about it.
>>
>> It was only years later when we found out about this. I met him years
>> later. He was carrying a guitar and said he was the pastor of his own
>> church. I hesitated to call him Dago. The next time I see him, I'm going
>> to ask him "what was up with that name?"
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I am surprised nobody is calling 'racist' (((

>Thankfully that particular name has lost a lot of traction here in the
>mainland since the days of Italian immigration.
>
>Cue Ed to say - not where I live!
>
>If so he may be right, the least coast has its own unique culture.

With the "Casa" invasion I consider all of them as Shithouses... I
make no attempt to differenciate because they all stink the same...
none have a real name, and none know a whit about food/cooking.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2018 10:02 AM, wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Jan 2018 07:47:07 -0700, casa de los sueños >
> wrote:
>
>> On 1/17/2018 2:07 AM, Ophelia wrote:

>>> Racial slurs aren't used much on this rock so I never knew that "dago"
>>> was a derogatory term.Â* We had a friend named Dago in high school. I
>>> think his real name was "Robert." In our HS yearbook, he's listed as
>>> Dago. Nobody said a thing about it.
>>>
>>> It was only years later when we found out about this. I met him years
>>> later. He was carrying a guitar and said he was the pastor of his own
>>> church. I hesitated to call him Dago. The next time I see him, I'm going
>>> to ask him "what was up with that name?"
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> I am surprised nobody is calling 'racist' (((

>> Thankfully that particular name has lost a lot of traction here in the
>> mainland since the days of Italian immigration.
>>
>> Cue Ed to say - not where I live!
>>
>> If so he may be right, the least coast has its own unique culture.

> With the "Casa" invasion I consider all of them as Shithouses... I
> make no attempt to differenciate because they all stink the same...
> none have a real name, and none know a whit about food/cooking.

The whole angry old man act is getting played out Shelly...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 11:22:35 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> I am surprised nobody is calling 'racist' (((

I would never use that word these days because now I know that's a derogatory term. The American-Italians on the mainland will probably use those terms among themselves. I can't because I'm an outsider to that community. The same thing applies to the Asian community on the mainland. I'd be an outsider to that community. To become an insider, one has to live amongst them and learn the rules of their society.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2018 10:37 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 11:22:35 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> I am surprised nobody is calling 'racist' (((

> I would never use that word these days because now I know that's a derogatory term. The American-Italians on the mainland will probably use those terms among themselves. I can't because I'm an outsider to that community. The same thing applies to the Asian community on the mainland. I'd be an outsider to that community. To become an insider, one has to live amongst them and learn the rules of their society.

Ding!

Eggzactly.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Hank Rogers" wrote in message news >
>jmcquown wrote:

>>> Probably 6 months for us.

>> Maybe because I ate a lot of rice as a child I'm just not a big fan of
>> rice. It's definitely not something I stock up on, although it does
>> store well. Just checked the pantry, I have a half a pound of rice from
>> when I made the red beans & rice. I think I brought it with me 10 years
>> ago. That's one thing rice is good for, long term storage.
>>
>> Jill

>I like rice, but no more than 2 times a week. I never had rice much when
>growing up, and I never had to eat it in prison camps. One uncle was a
>prisoner in Korea, and he wanted nothing to do with rice or fish. I bet
>they gave him poor watery rice with fish heads for flavoring.
>
>I use a brand of jasmine rice from Thailand, (imperial dragon I think).
>It's the best I have been able to find at walmart, as there are not many
>other stores here, just a couple of mom and pop outfits.
>
>I get it in the 5 Lb size, about once or twice a year. Rice is indeed
>very good for long storage, better than corn, wheat, etc. But I would be
>suspect of ten year old product. Rice has such a mild taste, you might
>not notice when it has gone "off" a tad.
>==
>
>Rice goes off??? Ahh I take it you don't mean dried rice??

With time rice almost always develops an insect population. And brown
rice goes rancid due to the oil content of its bran.
I buy ten pound sacks of Canilla rice (the Goya brand). We eat rice
about twice a month, usually rice and black beans, Belize style, only
I use pork in lieu of gibnut... or fly lice, my wife says mine is
better than from any Chinese restaurant, that's because I prepare it
the way Chinese restaurants did more then fifty years ago, with time
what they began to serve is Puerto Rican style rice, not really fried.

==

Thanks I don't keep a lot of rice in, but a variety of fairly smallish
amounts that I know he will eat. I am not too keen although I will eat it
if served it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"dsi1" wrote in message
>
>On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 1:32:10 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:
>
>> Nah, that's Dago stuff Popeye! Yoose knows dat everybody with any sense
>> drinks only Crystal Palace.

That's true because so many to show off are into paying big bucks for
exactly the same booze in fancy schmancy bottles with artsy fartsy
labels. And if you're paying big bucks for flavored vodka then you're
an ignoranus putz who doesn't realize those flavors are how a lousy
batch is covered up.

>Racial slurs aren't used much on this rock so I never knew that "dago" was
>derogatory term. We had a friend named Dago in high school. I think his
>real name was "Robert." In our HS yearbook, he's listed as Dago. Nobody
>said
>a thing about it.
>
>It was only years later when we found out about this. I met him years
>later.
>He was carrying a guitar and said he was the pastor of his own church. I
>hesitated to call him Dago. The next time I see him, I'm going to ask him
>"what was up with that name?"
>==
>
>I am surprised nobody is calling 'racist' (((

Many years ago in NYC Dago was considered a term of endearment, to
recognize/celebrate a friend's Italian heritage. In recent times the
term became derogatory, and that's because nowadays so many are into
degrading every ethnicity. Mick used to be a term of endearment
too.... I'm surprised that McDonalds hasn't changed it's name to Sir
Donald or some such... and especially now that The Donald is Prez.

==

Aye, I know what you mean

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 11:22:35 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> I am surprised nobody is calling 'racist' (((

I would never use that word these days because now I know that's a
derogatory term. The American-Italians on the mainland will probably use
those terms among themselves. I can't because I'm an outsider to that
community. The same thing applies to the Asian community on the mainland.
I'd be an outsider to that community. To become an insider, one has to live
amongst them and learn the rules of their society.

==

I think so.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 1/16/2018 9:11 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > > I'd be happy with more squash. Clearly, Jill was happy with what
> > > she plated.
> > >
> > > Cindy Hamilton

> > Agreed! I'm just more greedy for veggies! Or a starch. Humm,
> > happy with the portions she had. It's possible she had a small
> > salad with it (not in the picture).
> >

> Not I! I despise salad greens (the exception is a wilted spinach
> salad). I made and ate more squash than was on the plate.
>
> Jill

No problem!

Charlotte made lunch today while I was working at home (short version,
car in the shop, starter issue). One thing we noted when she was 12
was us 2 cooks (Don and I) needed to give her freedom to cook. She's
developing into a fine one and if she makes the occasional drift, go
with the flow!

This will sound bad but was good!

She took a pasta packet (the ones where you add butter and water, we
keep a few for fast fixes) and added more milk to make a sort of pasta
soupy dish. She added more chives (her favorite addition and it's a
good one for what she cooks). Nice! I think she added some spices
from the shelves also, but since I was working, I didnt think to ask
then. She served it with a brie, onion and black pepper bread we
stirred up last night.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>

> > D likes it and for later in the week he has asked for mushroom
> > risotto. What a labour of love that is ... 20 mins stirring LOL
> >
> > I keep several types of rice in for him, but especially Arborio for
> > his risotto

> Love to see your recipe for that! Yes, unlike Congee, it's a stir
> type from what I have seen.
>
> ==
>
> Mushroom Risotto Recipe
>
> 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
> 2 pints chicken stock
> 1/2 cup white wine
> 1 medium shallot, chopped (about ½ cup)
> 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
> 4 tablespoon unsalted butter
> 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
> 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
> 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
> Salt, to taste
>
> Heat the stock to a simmer then lower the heat so that the stock just
> stays hot.
>
> Melt 1 Tbsp of the butter in a saute pan and saute the sliced
> mushrooms until they're soft. Remove from heat and set aside.
>
> Heat the oil and 1 Tbsp of the butter. When the butter has melted,
> add the chopped shallot Saute for 2-3 minutes or until it is
> slightly translucent.
>
> Add the rice to the pot and stir it briskly with a wooden spoon so
> that the grains are coated with the oil and melted butter. Saute for
> another minute or so, until there is a slightly nutty aroma. But
> don't let the rice turn brown.
>
> Add the wine and cook while stirring, until the liquid is fully
> absorbed.
>
> Add a ladle of hot stock to the rice and stir until the liquid is
> fully absorbed. When the rice appears almost dry, add another ladle
> of stock and repeat the process.
>
> It's important to stir constantly, especially while the hot stock
> gets absorbed, to prevent scorching, and add the next ladle as soon
> as the rice is almost dry.
>
> Continue adding ladles of hot stock and stirring the rice while the
> liquid is absorbed. As it cooks, you'll see that the rice will take
> on a creamy consistency as it begins to release its natural starches.
>
> Continue adding stock, a ladle at a time, for 20-30 minutes or until
> the grains are tender but still firm to the bite, without being
> crunchy.
>
> When you're down to your last few ladles of stock, add the cooked
> mushrooms. If you run out of stock and the risotto still isn't done,
> you can finish the cooking using hot water. Just add the water as you
> did with the stock, a ladle at a time, stirring while it's absorbed.
>
> Stir in the remaining 2 Tbsp butter, the parmesan cheese, and the
> parsley, and season to taste with salt.
>
> (Risotto turns glutinous if held for too long, so you should serve it
> right away. A properly cooked risotto should form a soft, creamy
> mound on a dinner plate. It shouldn't run across the plate, nor
> should it be stiff or gluey.)

So interesting! That is so close yet varied in finish to what I know
well. Late tonight but will get back with you on someting that isnt a
rissoto, but had a root feel to it in cooking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk wrote:

> [...]

> > crunchy.
> >
> > When you're down to your last few ladles of stock, add the cooked
> > mushrooms. If you run out of stock and the risotto still isn't done,
> > you can finish the cooking using hot water. Just add the water as
> > you did with the stock, a ladle at a time, stirring while it's
> > absorbed.
> >
> > Stir in the remaining 2 Tbsp butter, the parmesan cheese, and the
> > parsley, and season to taste with salt.
> >
> > (Risotto turns glutinous if held for too long, so you should serve
> > it right away. A properly cooked risotto should form a soft, creamy
> > mound on a dinner plate. It shouldn't run across the plate, nor
> > should it be stiff or gluey.)

> So interesting! That is so close yet varied in finish to what I know
> well. Late tonight but will get back with you on someting that isnt a
> rissoto, but had a root feel to it in cooking.

Ok, got a few minutes now!

Variation on a theme but hopefully all will relaize this is not, nor
was intended to be Risotto. It is a varient rice dish with as many
variations as there are cooks. It is simply at best of the same
general family of rice dishes but very different in spicing/additions
and much soupier. Served in a bowl, it would never work on a plate.

Base for Juk/Congee/Rice Porridge
1.5c dry ice, short or medium grain (short preferred)
4.5c (up to 6) stock, generally dashi type but chicken common

Using your measures in general, it would be 1.5c dry medium or small
grain rice and 4.5c stock (or more!). In some recipes the dry rice is
lightly toasted in a hot pan kept swirling over the heat so it only
lightly browns. Oil or fat not added.

Now almost no one serves it that simply. Things are added. A lovely
version I had in Thailand added sesame seeds whole to the rice as it
was browned so they toasted along side. This was then added to the
broth and then dome broth was dipped out as it came to simmer and
mushrooms were added along with a spinach type that looks more like
grass (Kangkoon, kangkong, spelling varies with area). KIng Oyster or
Shiitake were popular types and dried are used as often as fresh, or
mixed with fresh to add a little chewy factor. Adding steamed small
cut vegetables is common as is adding bits of chopped up seafoods.
Generally for every 1 cup serving, there will be 1/4 cup at least
'other than rice and broth' in there.

The simpler Juk uses little past the base recipe from my experience.
Congee a bit more, then Rice porridge goes all out and has probably at
least 10 ingredients but can be up to 20 (small amounts all about).

Risotto is a much more refined, non-freehand style thing and meant to
be thick enough to plate it. These others are intended to be served in
a bowl and can be almost a thick soup (or even a quite thick soup).

It's always creamy and in many cases, the rice is no longer distinct in
there at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm sure you intended the "r" to be there on the rice in your ingredients.
Seriously, it sounds good.

Cheri

"cshenk" > wrote in message news:Evudnf9_kMeDVv_HnZ2dnUU7->
Ok, got a few minutes now!

> Base for Juk/Congee/Rice Porridge
> 1.5c dry ice, short or medium grain (short preferred)
> 4.5c (up to 6) stock, generally dashi type but chicken common
>
> Using your measures in general, it would be 1.5c dry medium or small
> grain rice and 4.5c stock (or more!). In some recipes the dry rice is
> lightly toasted in a hot pan kept swirling over the heat so it only
> lightly browns. Oil or fat not added.
>
> Now almost no one serves it that simply. Things are added. A lovely
> version I had in Thailand added sesame seeds whole to the rice as it
> was browned so they toasted along side. This was then added to the
> broth and then dome broth was dipped out as it came to simmer and
> mushrooms were added along with a spinach type that looks more like
> grass (Kangkoon, kangkong, spelling varies with area). KIng Oyster or
> Shiitake were popular types and dried are used as often as fresh, or
> mixed with fresh to add a little chewy factor. Adding steamed small
> cut vegetables is common as is adding bits of chopped up seafoods.
> Generally for every 1 cup serving, there will be 1/4 cup at least
> 'other than rice and broth' in there.
>
> The simpler Juk uses little past the base recipe from my experience.
> Congee a bit more, then Rice porridge goes all out and has probably at
> least 10 ingredients but can be up to 20 (small amounts all about).
>
> Risotto is a much more refined, non-freehand style thing and meant to
> be thick enough to plate it. These others are intended to be served in
> a bowl and can be almost a thick soup (or even a quite thick soup).
>
> It's always creamy and in many cases, the rice is no longer distinct in
> there at all.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> I'm sure you intended the "r" to be there on the rice in your
> ingredients. Seriously, it sounds good.
>
> Cheri
>
> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> news:Evudnf9_kMeDVv_HnZ2dnUU7-> Ok, got a few minutes now!
>
> > Base for Juk/Congee/Rice Porridge
> > 1.5c dry ice, short or medium grain (short preferred)
> > 4.5c (up to 6) stock, generally dashi type but chicken common
> >
> > Using your measures in general, it would be 1.5c dry medium or small
> > grain rice and 4.5c stock (or more!). In some recipes the dry rice
> > is lightly toasted in a hot pan kept swirling over the heat so it
> > only lightly browns. Oil or fat not added.
> >
> > Now almost no one serves it that simply. Things are added. A
> > lovely version I had in Thailand added sesame seeds whole to the
> > rice as it was browned so they toasted along side. This was then
> > added to the broth and then some broth was dipped out as it came to
> > simmer and mushrooms were added along with a spinach type that
> > looks more like grass (Kangkoon, kangkong, spelling varies with
> > area). KIng Oyster or Shiitake were popular types and dried are
> > used as often as fresh, or mixed with fresh to add a little chewy
> > factor. Adding steamed small cut vegetables is common as is adding
> > bits of chopped up seafoods. Generally for every 1 cup serving,
> > there will be 1/4 cup at least 'other than rice and broth' in there.
> >
> > The simpler Juk uses little past the base recipe from my experience.
> > Congee a bit more, then Rice porridge goes all out and has probably
> > at least 10 ingredients but can be up to 20 (small amounts all
> > about).
> >
> > Risotto is a much more refined, non-freehand style thing and meant
> > to be thick enough to plate it. These others are intended to be
> > served in a bowl and can be almost a thick soup (or even a quite
> > thick soup).
> >
> > It's always creamy and in many cases, the rice is no longer
> > distinct in there at all.

Yes and thank you. Mere typo.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:
>

>> I'm sure you intended the "r" to be there on the rice in your
>> ingredients. Seriously, it sounds good.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> "cshenk" > wrote in message
>> news:Evudnf9_kMeDVv_HnZ2dnUU7-> Ok, got a few minutes now!
>>
>> > Base for Juk/Congee/Rice Porridge
>> > 1.5c dry ice, short or medium grain (short preferred)
>> > 4.5c (up to 6) stock, generally dashi type but chicken common
>> >
>> > Using your measures in general, it would be 1.5c dry medium or small
>> > grain rice and 4.5c stock (or more!). In some recipes the dry rice
>> > is lightly toasted in a hot pan kept swirling over the heat so it
>> > only lightly browns. Oil or fat not added.
>> >
>> > Now almost no one serves it that simply. Things are added. A
>> > lovely version I had in Thailand added sesame seeds whole to the
>> > rice as it was browned so they toasted along side. This was then
>> > added to the broth and then some broth was dipped out as it came to
>> > simmer and mushrooms were added along with a spinach type that
>> > looks more like grass (Kangkoon, kangkong, spelling varies with
>> > area). KIng Oyster or Shiitake were popular types and dried are
>> > used as often as fresh, or mixed with fresh to add a little chewy
>> > factor. Adding steamed small cut vegetables is common as is adding
>> > bits of chopped up seafoods. Generally for every 1 cup serving,
>> > there will be 1/4 cup at least 'other than rice and broth' in there.
>> >
>> > The simpler Juk uses little past the base recipe from my experience.
>> > Congee a bit more, then Rice porridge goes all out and has probably
>> > at least 10 ingredients but can be up to 20 (small amounts all
>> > about).
>> >
>> > Risotto is a much more refined, non-freehand style thing and meant
>> > to be thick enough to plate it. These others are intended to be
>> > served in a bowl and can be almost a thick soup (or even a quite
>> > thick soup).
>> >
>> > It's always creamy and in many cases, the rice is no longer
>> > distinct in there at all.
>> >

> Yes and thank you. Mere typo.

I knew that and I'm sure everyone else did too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "cshenk" > wrote in message
> > Cheri wrote:
> >

> > > I'm sure you intended the "r" to be there on the rice in your
> > > ingredients. Seriously, it sounds good.
> > >
> > > Cheri
> > >
> >>"cshenk" > wrote in message
> >>news:Evudnf9_kMeDVv_HnZ2dnUU7-> Ok, got a few minutes now!

> small >>> grain rice and 4.5c stock (or more!). In some recipes the
> dry rice >>> is lightly toasted in a hot pan kept swirling over the
> heat so it >>> only lightly browns. Oil or fat not added.

> to >>> simmer and mushrooms were added along with a spinach type that

> adding >>> bits of chopped up seafoods. Generally for every 1 cup
> serving, >>> there will be 1/4 cup at least 'other than rice and
> broth' in there.

> experience. >>> Congee a bit more, then Rice porridge goes all out
> and has probably >>> at least 10 ingredients but can be up to 20
> (small amounts all >>> about).

> > Yes and thank you. Mere typo.

> I knew that and I'm sure everyone else did too.

Yup, anyways, I may try the posted risotto tomorrow after I check in
and sign my letter that we are on government shutdown. I don't expect
this to last long, but I'll have time off for a day or so I guess.