Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 40% of food....guess what?

On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 12:23:56 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:

> I believe you. Everyone gets a little angst now and then. Maybe try not
> mentioning the "mainland" for a while?
>
> You are nowhere near as mean-spirited and disgusting as penfart. Please
> don't head in that direction.

That's a goal everybody can aspire to. Well, at least, that's my target of choice.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-16 5:43 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 12:22:00 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>>
>> That's rich. Shortly after a number of people spoke up about your
>> obviously racist character you decided they are bullies for seeing
>> you for what you are.

> The reality is yoose guys are hyper-sensitive to this racial labels
> only when it involves you. I'm used to people calling me names
> because that's the experience of non-whites everywhere. I'll take it
> all in stride.

Nope. It is not a matter of hyper-sensitivity when it is pointed out
that something done by a non-white is as racist as the same sort of
thing said by a white person about a non white. People are funny when it
comes to prejudice. We all know that all Germans are prejudiced. We all
know that all cops and military are prejudiced. A lot of people have no
problem assuming that people of particular races, cultures or
occupations are all racist.

> Racial slurs are one of the various breads and butters of this group.
> Nobody bats an eye since it's always about the other guy. I my
> country, "haole" is not considered a slur so as far as I can see,
> that's your problem, not mine. Man up yoose guys!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 12:38:53 PM UTC-10, Casa de Haoles wrote:

> Seriously?
>
> :-(

No insult intended. That's just what we locals call 1st generation Americans or foreigners. In this case, they're first generation California Latinos. I'm always open to suggestion if you got something better. I'd be happy to honor your request. First generation Japanese are called "issei."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 12:52:35 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> Nope. It is not a matter of hyper-sensitivity when it is pointed out
> that something done by a non-white is as racist as the same sort of
> thing said by a white person about a non white. People are funny when it
> comes to prejudice. We all know that all Germans are prejudiced. We all
> know that all cops and military are prejudiced. A lot of people have no
> problem assuming that people of particular races, cultures or
> occupations are all racist.

If yoose guys would rather not talk about race that's fine with me. I shall not be the one to break this peace that we have made here today.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2018 3:43 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 12:22:00 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> That's rich. Shortly after a number of people spoke up about your
>> obviously racist character you decided they are bullies for seeing you
>> for what you are.

> The reality is yoose guys are hyper-sensitive to this racial labels only when it involves you.

Well of course that's it, mean hey the rest of the time they're all
posting about "slopes" and "zipperheads" and "gooks".... right????

> I'm used to people calling me names because that's the experience of non-whites everywhere.

Is it really?

What an astoundingly crass and over-eager generalization to make.

But racism can /only/ come from "whites", everyone knows that basic truth...

> I'll take it all in stride.

And revel in turning up the racial heat level hjere in general?

Why?

If someone calls you a racial slur you should kick their ass for it, period.

> Racial slurs are one of the various breads and butters of this group.

So now you're channeling Sheldon's childhood stickball tales.

Problem there is that this isn't Noo Yawk circa 1950...

It's a food and cooking group and as such it necessarily embraces
cuisines from a wide variety of ethnicities and cultures.

Now how well can that work with people tossing racist labels around freely?

> Nobody bats an eye since it's always about the other guy.

Somebody(s) just have.

> I my country, "haole" is not considered a slur so as far as I can see, that's your problem, not mine.

The fact that it is used sometimes humorously and other times hatefully
doesn't erase the fact that it IS a racial slur.

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-h...cial-prejudice

And they're not the only ones:

https://www.yelp.com/topic/honolulu-racism-in-hawaii

Carolyn T.
Riverside, IL
I'm visiting Honolulu in a few weeks with my boyfriend who is from the
Waikiki area. He warned me that I should prepare myself for some
unfriendliness because I'm "a white girl from the continental U.S." He
implied that many residents dislike tourists and that many of them are
racist against white people, as well. Is there any credence to this?

(I'm so, so excited to visit Hawaii, regardless! )
Report as inappropriate
4/15/2013

This Yelper's account has been closed.

I Crush Your Head C.
Honolulu, HI

Probably haoles think we're racist out here cause they're used to having
their asses kissed and being a dominant majority everywhere they go. No
so much here.

Cracks me up that most people can't stand haoles. It has nothing to do
with race, it's because they don't know how to act right in a society.
Only one way to get someone off their high horse - dirty lickins!
Report as inappropriate
4/16/2013

> Man up yoose guys!

Or lose our spot by the highway?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPKH_94jix4

mauiportal
Published on Feb 22, 2009
This video concerns a member of the Hawaiian sovereignty movement, a
person known by some as the" pineapple Nazi". The pineapple Nazi got
his name because he would threatened other vendors, mostly white or"
Haole " who dared try to sell fruits or produce along the road in
Makana. He has been selling pineapples along the road for about eight
years, he started out placing stone markers to save his parking spot
claiming he were a Hawaiian sovereign. Then he started adding red
parking cones to save parking places for all the customers he imagined
would come to buy his pineapples. Because no one would challenge him
for this, because they thought he were crazy,this emboldened him until
he eventually extended his parking cones to include almost 50 yards of
the area. Mostly people would ignore him and tried to enjoy their day,
but on this particular day, it was very crowded and there was no parking
available anywhere. I thought to myself that this had gone too far, so
I parked right next to the parking cones and moved them to the other
side of my car. The crazy Hawaiian storms up to me in protest, how dare
a Haole touch his parking cones he said. He knew me from over the years
of previous encounters, and when I told them he had no right to block
off the parking spots for himself, he spat in my face and called me a
Haole. I called the Kihei Police Department to report an assault. Then
the Kihei Police Department set one of their new police officers, they
had all new police officers because the entire police department had
been fired for corruption which is a problem in Hawaii. When I told the
police officer that I did not want the Hawaiian arrested for assault,
but wanted the parking cones removed, he told me" if you want me to
enforce parking, then I'll start giving all these Haole tourist parking
tickets, is that what you want?" And he started to give some innocent
tourist a parking ticket instead of doing his job, because he
sympathizes with the sovereignty movement, and also because the
sovereignty movement is a kind of Mafia in Hawaii which a lot of police
officers are a part of. This video is in no way meant to disrespect
Hawaiian people or locals, any more than pointing out the activities of
the Ku Klux Klan is meant to slander all white people. Maui is a
wonderful place, and it has wonderful people, but the good old boy
network in Hawaii needs to come to an end.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 16:08:24 -0700, Casa de Haoles >
wrote:

>On 1/16/2018 3:43 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 12:22:00 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>>>
>>> That's rich. Shortly after a number of people spoke up about your
>>> obviously racist character you decided they are bullies for seeing you
>>> for what you are.

>> The reality is yoose guys are hyper-sensitive to this racial labels only when it involves you.

>Well of course that's it, mean hey the rest of the time they're all
>posting about "slopes" and "zipperheads" and "gooks".... right????
>
>> I'm used to people calling me names because that's the experience of non-whites everywhere.

>Is it really?
>
>What an astoundingly crass and over-eager generalization to make.
>
>But racism can /only/ come from "whites", everyone knows that basic truth...
>
>> I'll take it all in stride.

>And revel in turning up the racial heat level hjere in general?
>
>Why?
>
>If someone calls you a racial slur you should kick their ass for it, period.

Why are you so worried about racial slur when you call people
everything under the sun and wish terrible diseases on them? Talk
about hypocrisy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2018 3:44 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 15:38:47 -0700, Casa de Haoles >
> wrote:

>>> I believe you. Everyone gets a little angst now and then. Maybe try not
>>> mentioning the "mainland" for a while?
>>>
>>> You are nowhere near as mean-spirited and disgusting as penfart. Please
>>> don't head in that direction.
>>>

>> You don't find the term "FOB latino" mean-spirited?
>>
>> Seriously?
>>
>> :-(

> FOB's not so bad. It just means Fresh Off the Boat. It's how I
> described myself for a year or so after I moved to Australia.

"There's a FOB latino woman and her husband living in those condos and
yesterday, they called me "sir." That makes me cringe. That's what you'd
call a tourist if you were working at one of the hotels. One of these
days, I hope that learn that this ain't California and they no longer
have to call us that."

He didn't expound on what his personal meaning for that term is, but
it's no stretch to imagine that the slander is to those Latinos who have
arrived in Hawaii from elsewhere (as in California).

Apparently it is a very closed off culture that pretends to be welcoming
- just primarily to tourist dollars, not recent emigres..

Kind of bizarre anyone would take offense at being called "sir", but so
careless about labeling others as "haoles" or "FOB latino".

"That's what happens when one grows up in a place where they have to be
on guard all the time and ain't allowed to breath. Around here, we're
all equal and we all look out for each other. "

....so watch out if you're not from "around here" because it appears you
will not be treated as an "equal"...

I'm sure my "FOB latino" neighbors will be thrilled to know what to look
out for on their next vacation to that rock...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2018 3:47 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 12:23:56 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:
>>
>> I believe you. Everyone gets a little angst now and then. Maybe try not
>> mentioning the "mainland" for a while?
>>
>> You are nowhere near as mean-spirited and disgusting as penfart. Please
>> don't head in that direction.

> That's a goal everybody can aspire to. Well, at least, that's my target of choice.

I do not appreciate "FOB latino" one tiny bit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2018 3:55 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 12:38:53 PM UTC-10, Casa de Haoles wrote:
>>
>> Seriously?
>>
>> :-(

> No insult intended.

The context of your narrative speaks otherwise.

I wasn't there to read the tone of the interaction, but it's my
experience that the word "sir" is pretty rarely used to demean.

But maybe it was, hard to know.

> That's just what we locals call 1st generation Americans or foreigners.

Ok so whites get labeled as "Haoles".

Non-Hawaii-native Americans and foreigners get labeled as "FOB" with a
designation for their ethnicity attached.

Is there some special term for "FOB" African Americans we should know as
well?

> In this case, they're first generation California Latinos.

Not so much neighbors as an ethnicty then, yes?

> I'm always open to suggestion if you got something better.

Stop labeling period, call them your neighbors. I mean they are, right?

> I'd be happy to honor your request. First generation Japanese are called "issei."

Yes I am well read on the Issei and their Nissei and Sansei.

When I go to dog park I see all kinds of breeds.

They get along too.

If I park 2 identical sports cars side by side will the paint color make
one faster than the other?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2018 3:58 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 12:52:35 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Nope. It is not a matter of hyper-sensitivity when it is pointed out
>> that something done by a non-white is as racist as the same sort of
>> thing said by a white person about a non white. People are funny when it
>> comes to prejudice. We all know that all Germans are prejudiced. We all
>> know that all cops and military are prejudiced. A lot of people have no
>> problem assuming that people of particular races, cultures or
>> occupations are all racist.
>>

> If yoose guys would rather not talk about race that's fine with me. I shall not be the one to break this peace that we have made here today.

If you can instruct us as to what cumulative value talking about race
adds to a food and cooking group I will yield to your acumen in the matter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2018 4:19 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 16:08:24 -0700, Casa de Haoles >
> wrote:

>>> The reality is yoose guys are hyper-sensitive to this racial labels only when it involves you.

>> Well of course that's it, mean hey the rest of the time they're all
>> posting about "slopes" and "zipperheads" and "gooks".... right????
>>
>>> I'm used to people calling me names because that's the experience of non-whites everywhere.

>> Is it really?
>>
>> What an astoundingly crass and over-eager generalization to make.
>>
>> But racism can /only/ come from "whites", everyone knows that basic truth...
>>
>>> I'll take it all in stride.

>> And revel in turning up the racial heat level hjere in general?
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> If someone calls you a racial slur you should kick their ass for it, period.

> Why are you so worried about racial slur when you call people
> everything under the sun and wish terrible diseases on them? Talk
> about hypocrisy.

Nah, that's smack talk with trolls and haters.

A fine distinction, but one any gamer knows well.

And as chief troll here your crocodile tears about anything regarding
re-trolling are....re-jected!

See how that works?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 1:33:07 PM UTC-10, Casa de Haoles wrote:

> If you can instruct us as to what cumulative value talking about race
> adds to a food and cooking group I will yield to your acumen in the matter.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 17:04:00 -0700, Casa de Haoles >
wrote:

>On 1/16/2018 4:47 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>> And FOB does not mean "freight on board."

>The encyclopedia says otherwise.
>
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOB_(shipping)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresh_off_the_boat
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2018 7:04 PM, Casa de Haoles wrote:
> On 1/16/2018 4:47 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>> And FOB does not mean "freight on board."

> The encyclopedia says otherwise.
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOB_(shipping)
>
> FOB, "Free On Board", is a term in international commercial law
> specifying at what point respective obligations, costs, and risk
> involved in the delivery of goods shift from the seller to the buyer
> under the Incoterms 2010 standard published

Are you serious? Do you think that is what he referred to?
Perhaps some here never heard the therm "fresh off boat" but it has been
around for decades.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 12:22:00 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > That's rich. Shortly after a number of people spoke up about your
> > obviously racist character you decided they are bullies for seeing
> > you for what you are.

> The reality is yoose guys are hyper-sensitive to this racial labels
> only when it involves you. I'm used to people calling me names
> because that's the experience of non-whites everywhere. I'll take it
> all in stride.
>
> Racial slurs are one of the various breads and butters of this group.
> Nobody bats an eye since it's always about the other guy. I my
> country, "haole" is not considered a slur so as far as I can see,
> that's your problem, not mine. Man up yoose guys!

In the 3 years I lived in Hawaii, I was aware of the term Haole but it
didnt seem to be used as an abusive term, more one to describe someone
new to the area who may not know all the ways things are done there.

I supposed it could be used in a disparaging way but my only personal
experince was more a 'benevolent tolerance' if you seemed thick headed,
or a factual simple way to say you may not know what a money tree is at
a wedding.

I encountered it in some Hari Kojima shows and pretty sure one of the
recipe books from him. I also had a book that was a Haole guide to
Hawaiian fish names. Like if you want Mullet, you need to know to look
for Ama'Ama and that Hapu'upu'u is sea bass. Red snapper is Onaga.

BTW, I do recall having a friend take me 'Little Haole-friend, let me
show you a money tree'. She showed it to me and I thought it so much a
more discrete way to help a new family get a start in life. If you had
only a dollar, you could add that, if you had a 20$ it was the same.

If there was offense intended, I missed it. It was only an
aknowledgement that I probably didnt know what it was (and hadn't).

Sometimes, offense has to be intended for it to be real. While you may
have been a bit disparaging of mainlanders lately, others have also a
tendancy to take fast offense here where none was meant. One can easily
egg the other on to escallation.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2018 6:40 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 1/16/2018 7:04 PM, Casa de Haoles wrote:
>> On 1/16/2018 4:47 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> And FOB does not mean "freight on board."

>> The encyclopedia says otherwise.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOB_(shipping)
>>
>> FOB, "Free On Board", is a term in international commercial law
>> specifying at what point respective obligations, costs, and risk
>> involved in the delivery of goods shift from the seller to the buyer
>> under the Incoterms 2010 standard published
>>

> Are you serious?

Quite.

> Do you think that is what he referred to?

It certainly gave me pause having worked in trucking.

> Perhaps some here never heard the therm "fresh off boat" but it has been
> around for decades.

Not in these parts.

No oceans, few boats, and Ellis Island is a Noo Yawk feature.

Which is precisely why labels with alternate meanings are ill-advised
when classifying people.

I'm sure you can see my point.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 20:40:10 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 1/16/2018 7:04 PM, Casa de Haoles wrote:
>> On 1/16/2018 4:47 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> And FOB does not mean "freight on board."

>> The encyclopedia says otherwise.
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOB_(shipping)
>>
>> FOB, "Free On Board", is a term in international commercial law
>> specifying at what point respective obligations, costs, and risk
>> involved in the delivery of goods shift from the seller to the buyer
>> under the Incoterms 2010 standard published
>>

>Are you serious? Do you think that is what he referred to?
>Perhaps some here never heard the therm "fresh off boat" but it has been
>around for decades.

Thank you.

--
Bruce (12 years Fresh Off Boat)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 19:55:08 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>dsi1 wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 12:22:00 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>> >
>> > That's rich. Shortly after a number of people spoke up about your
>> > obviously racist character you decided they are bullies for seeing
>> > you for what you are.

>> The reality is yoose guys are hyper-sensitive to this racial labels
>> only when it involves you. I'm used to people calling me names
>> because that's the experience of non-whites everywhere. I'll take it
>> all in stride.
>>
>> Racial slurs are one of the various breads and butters of this group.
>> Nobody bats an eye since it's always about the other guy. I my
>> country, "haole" is not considered a slur so as far as I can see,
>> that's your problem, not mine. Man up yoose guys!

>In the 3 years I lived in Hawaii, I was aware of the term Haole but it
>didnt seem to be used as an abusive term, more one to describe someone
>new to the area who may not know all the ways things are done there.
>
>I supposed it could be used in a disparaging way but my only personal
>experince was more a 'benevolent tolerance' if you seemed thick headed,
>or a factual simple way to say you may not know what a money tree is at
>a wedding.

What's a money tree at a wedding?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 3:55:16 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>
> > On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 12:22:00 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> > >
> > > That's rich. Shortly after a number of people spoke up about your
> > > obviously racist character you decided they are bullies for seeing
> > > you for what you are.

> > The reality is yoose guys are hyper-sensitive to this racial labels
> > only when it involves you. I'm used to people calling me names
> > because that's the experience of non-whites everywhere. I'll take it
> > all in stride.
> >
> > Racial slurs are one of the various breads and butters of this group.
> > Nobody bats an eye since it's always about the other guy. I my
> > country, "haole" is not considered a slur so as far as I can see,
> > that's your problem, not mine. Man up yoose guys!

> In the 3 years I lived in Hawaii, I was aware of the term Haole but it
> didnt seem to be used as an abusive term, more one to describe someone
> new to the area who may not know all the ways things are done there.
>
> I supposed it could be used in a disparaging way but my only personal
> experince was more a 'benevolent tolerance' if you seemed thick headed,
> or a factual simple way to say you may not know what a money tree is at
> a wedding.
>
> I encountered it in some Hari Kojima shows and pretty sure one of the
> recipe books from him. I also had a book that was a Haole guide to
> Hawaiian fish names. Like if you want Mullet, you need to know to look
> for Ama'Ama and that Hapu'upu'u is sea bass. Red snapper is Onaga.
>
> BTW, I do recall having a friend take me 'Little Haole-friend, let me
> show you a money tree'. She showed it to me and I thought it so much a
> more discrete way to help a new family get a start in life. If you had
> only a dollar, you could add that, if you had a 20$ it was the same.
>
> If there was offense intended, I missed it. It was only an
> aknowledgement that I probably didnt know what it was (and hadn't).
>
> Sometimes, offense has to be intended for it to be real. While you may
> have been a bit disparaging of mainlanders lately, others have also a
> tendancy to take fast offense here where none was meant. One can easily
> egg the other on to escallation.

Let's face it, the mainland will never be able understand how people get along on this tiny rock. They are too brittle and uptight when it comes to you-know-what.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwxcviCe5CM
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2018 9:34 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 3:55:16 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> The reality is yoose guys are hyper-sensitive to this racial labels
>>> only when it involves you. I'm used to people calling me names
>>> because that's the experience of non-whites everywhere. I'll take it
>>> all in stride.
>>>
>>> Racial slurs are one of the various breads and butters of this group.
>>> Nobody bats an eye since it's always about the other guy. I my
>>> country, "haole" is not considered a slur so as far as I can see,
>>> that's your problem, not mine. Man up yoose guys!

>> In the 3 years I lived in Hawaii, I was aware of the term Haole but it
>> didnt seem to be used as an abusive term, more one to describe someone
>> new to the area who may not know all the ways things are done there.
>>
>> I supposed it could be used in a disparaging way but my only personal
>> experince was more a 'benevolent tolerance' if you seemed thick headed,
>> or a factual simple way to say you may not know what a money tree is at
>> a wedding.
>>
>> I encountered it in some Hari Kojima shows and pretty sure one of the
>> recipe books from him. I also had a book that was a Haole guide to
>> Hawaiian fish names. Like if you want Mullet, you need to know to look
>> for Ama'Ama and that Hapu'upu'u is sea bass. Red snapper is Onaga.
>>
>> BTW, I do recall having a friend take me 'Little Haole-friend, let me
>> show you a money tree'. She showed it to me and I thought it so much a
>> more discrete way to help a new family get a start in life. If you had
>> only a dollar, you could add that, if you had a 20$ it was the same.
>>
>> If there was offense intended, I missed it. It was only an
>> aknowledgement that I probably didnt know what it was (and hadn't).
>>
>> Sometimes, offense has to be intended for it to be real. While you may
>> have been a bit disparaging of mainlanders lately, others have also a
>> tendancy to take fast offense here where none was meant. One can easily
>> egg the other on to escallation.

> Let's face it, the mainland will never be able understand how people get along on this tiny rock. They are too brittle and uptight when it comes to you-know-what.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwxcviCe5CM

Tell it to the SPLC.

I can live without that kind of "getting along".

As for your last entreaty:

"I'm sorry, I will no longer be talking about race or culture on this
newsgroup any longer. I swear on my mother's grave and my grandchildren
that I will not be the one to break the peace that we have made this
day. Thank you very much."

Looks like a white man's treaty...

Aho.

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-h...cial-prejudice

Classroom Warfare
Tina Mohr has lived in Hawaii for 25 years. She has Native Hawaiian
friends. But in the 2003-04 school year, her twin blond-haired
daughters, aged 11 at the time, began getting harassed by Native
Hawaiian kids at their school on the Big Island. "Our daughters would
come home with bruises and cuts," she tells the Intelligence Report.

One of her girls was assaulted twice in the same day. In one scuffle,
she had her head slammed into a wall, and her attacker continued to
threaten her. Her daughter suffered a dislocated jaw and had headaches
for five weeks, Mohr says.

The torment continued in the summer between 5th and 6th grades. Native
Hawaiian girls stalked and threatened her daughters and yelled "****ing
haole" at them. Midway through the 6th grade, Mohr began to home-school
her daughters.

She filed a complaint with the civil rights division of the U.S.
Department of Education in 2004. It was only recently, on Dec. 31, 2008,
that the division finally released its report. The report concluded
there was "substantial evidence that students experienced racially and
sexually derogatory name-calling on nearly a daily basis on school
buses, at school bus stops, in school hallways and other areas of the
school" that Mohr's children attended.

The epithets included names such as "f*****g haole," "haole c**t" and
"haole whore," according to the report. Students were told "go home" and
"you don't belong here." Most of the slurs were directed by "local" or
non-white students at Caucasians, especially those who were younger,
smaller, light-skinned and blond.

The report also concluded that school officials responded inadequately
or not at all when students complained of racial harassment. Students
who did complain were retaliated against by their antagonists. "They
learned not to report this stuff," Mohr says of her own daughters.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Casa de Haoles" > wrote in message
news

>>> That's not a bad pic at all, you remind me of Jeffrey, Ina Garten's
>>> husband.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Yes, Popeye is not nearly as bad as I imagined. I reckon that's why all
>> the women try to rape him and beg him for sex constantly.
>>

> He's got good skin for an old coot, that's for sure.

And nice hair, the neck is a little flabby under the chin, but so is mine.
LOL

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 22:59:48 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Casa de Haoles" > wrote in message
>news

>>> Yes, Popeye is not nearly as bad as I imagined. I reckon that's why all
>>> the women try to rape him and beg him for sex constantly.
>>>

>> He's got good skin for an old coot, that's for sure.

>And nice hair, the neck is a little flabby under the chin, but so is mine.
>LOL
>
>Cheri

Lol, as long as it's chin singular, you're good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 6:47:15 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 1:33:07 PM UTC-10, Casa de Haoles wrote:
> >
> > If you can instruct us as to what cumulative value talking about race
> > adds to a food and cooking group I will yield to your acumen in the matter.

> None whatsoever. From now on I will refer to all foods as "food." Country and culture have no place when talking about food.
>
> And FOB does not mean "freight on board." The actual term is well known to most immigrants. We use it frequently - sometimes when talking about our relatives. Please don't try to school me on the immigrant experience. It insults my intelligence - and yours.

So, when something is shipped FOB Wichita, it means that the stuff
is "fresh off the boat"?

Context is everything.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> There's a FOB latino woman and her husband living in those condos and yesterday, they called me "sir." That makes me cringe. That's what you'd call a tourist if you were working at one of the hotels.

In my part of the world "sir" is a title of respect. Usually said
by a polite younger person to an older person. When my daughter
was a teenager, some of her friends would call me sir at first. I
hated it as it made me feel old. I always told them to just call
me Gary.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 17:04:00 -0700, Casa de Haoles >
> wrote:
>
>>On 1/16/2018 4:47 PM, dsi1 wrote:

>>> And FOB does not mean "freight on board."

>>The encyclopedia says otherwise.
>>
>>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOB_(shipping)

> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fresh_off_the_boat

Or free on board.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/16/2018 11:59 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Casa de Haoles" > wrote in message
> news

>>> Yes, Popeye is not nearly as bad as I imagined. I reckon that's why
>>> all the women try to rape him and beg him for sex constantly.
>>>

>> He's got good skin for an old coot, that's for sure.

> And nice hair, the neck is a little flabby under the chin, but so is
> mine. LOL
>
> Cheri

Plus he had the guts to post those pics knowing the froggers here will
mock him endlessly.

Points for courage too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv.soaps.cbs

In article >, says...

> On 1/16/2018 11:59 PM, Cheri wrote:
> > "Casa de Haoles" > wrote in message
> > news

https://postimg.org/image/jqiybuyat/

> >> He's got good skin for an old coot, that's for sure.

> > And nice hair, the neck is a little flabby under the chin, but so is
> > mine. LOL
> >
> > Cheri

> Plus he had the guts to post those pics knowing the froggers here will
> mock him endlessly.
>
> Points for courage too.

https://imgur.com/a/vbGGR
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2018 4:17 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 6:47:15 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 1:33:07 PM UTC-10, Casa de Haoles wrote:
>>>
>>> If you can instruct us as to what cumulative value talking about race
>>> adds to a food and cooking group I will yield to your acumen in the matter.

>> None whatsoever. From now on I will refer to all foods as "food." Country and culture have no place when talking about food.
>>
>> And FOB does not mean "freight on board." The actual term is well known to most immigrants. We use it frequently - sometimes when talking about our relatives. Please don't try to school me on the immigrant experience. It insults my intelligence - and yours.

> So, when something is shipped FOB Wichita, it means that the stuff
> is "fresh off the boat"?
>
> Context is everything.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Thank you, it's always going to be "freight on board" to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"casa de los sueños" > wrote in message
news
> On 1/16/2018 11:59 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Casa de Haoles" > wrote in message
>> news

>>> He's got good skin for an old coot, that's for sure.

>> And nice hair, the neck is a little flabby under the chin, but so is
>> mine. LOL
>>
>> Cheri

> Plus he had the guts to post those pics knowing the froggers here will
> mock him endlessly.
>
> Points for courage too.

True.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-17 6:17 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 6:47:15 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Tuesday, January 16, 2018 at 1:33:07 PM UTC-10, Casa de Haoles wrote:
>>>
>>> If you can instruct us as to what cumulative value talking about race
>>> adds to a food and cooking group I will yield to your acumen in the matter.

>> None whatsoever. From now on I will refer to all foods as "food." Country and culture have no place when talking about food.
>>
>> And FOB does not mean "freight on board." The actual term is well known to most immigrants. We use it frequently - sometimes when talking about our relatives. Please don't try to school me on the immigrant experience. It insults my intelligence - and yours.

> So, when something is shipped FOB Wichita, it means that the stuff
> is "fresh off the boat"?
>
> Context is everything.

FOB Freight on Board is a term often used in the North American
trucking business.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2018 6:46 AM, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> There's a FOB latino woman and her husband living in those condos and yesterday, they called me "sir." That makes me cringe. That's what you'd call a tourist if you were working at one of the hotels.

> In my part of the world "sir" is a title of respect. Usually said
> by a polite younger person to an older person. When my daughter
> was a teenager, some of her friends would call me sir at first. I
> hated it as it made me feel old. I always told them to just call
> me Gary.

Interesting. I always referred to my friends parents as Mr. or Mrs.
whatever. For example, when I'd call on the phone I'd say "Hi, Mrs.
Drum, is Bridget there?"

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2018 8:54 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 1/17/2018 6:46 AM, Gary wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> There's a FOB latino woman and her husband living in those condos and
>>> yesterday, they called me "sir." That makes me cringe. That's what
>>> you'd call a tourist if you were working at one of the hotels.

>> In my part of the world "sir" is a title of respect. Usually said
>> by a polite younger person to an older person. When my daughter
>> was a teenager, some of her friends would call me sir at first. I
>> hated it as it made me feel old. I always told them to just call
>> me Gary.
>>

> Interesting.Â* I always referred to my friends parents as Mr. or Mrs.
> whatever.Â* For example, when I'd call on the phone I'd say "Hi, Mrs.
> Drum, is Bridget there?"
>
> Jill

I've never gone to meet a date's father that I would call anything but
"Sir" until plainly instructed by him otherwise.

And it was always Mam for the mother up front too.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,rec.arts.tv.soaps.cbs

On 1/17/2018 9:40 AM, Cheri wrote:
> In article >, says...

>> Plus he had the guts to post those pics knowing the froggers here will
>> mock him endlessly.
>>
>> Points for courage too.

https://imgur.com/a/vbGGR

Pop rocks!

That's funny, I don't care who you are!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/17/2018 6:46 AM, Gary wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> There's a FOB latino woman and her husband living in those condos and
>>> yesterday, they called me "sir." That makes me cringe. That's what you'd
>>> call a tourist if you were working at one of the hotels.

>> In my part of the world "sir" is a title of respect. Usually said
>> by a polite younger person to an older person. When my daughter
>> was a teenager, some of her friends would call me sir at first. I
>> hated it as it made me feel old. I always told them to just call
>> me Gary.
>>

> Interesting. I always referred to my friends parents as Mr. or Mrs.
> whatever. For example, when I'd call on the phone I'd say "Hi, Mrs. Drum,
> is Bridget there?"
>
> Jill

Yes, we wouldn't have dared to call them by their first names, it was always
Mr. or Mrs.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2018 10:10 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "jmcquown" > wrote in message

>>> In my part of the world "sir" is a title of respect. Usually said
>>> by a polite younger person to an older person. When my daughter
>>> was a teenager, some of her friends would call me sir at first. I
>>> hated it as it made me feel old. I always told them to just call
>>> me Gary.
>>>

>> Interesting.* I always referred to my friends parents as Mr. or Mrs.
>> whatever.* For example, when I'd call on the phone I'd say "Hi, Mrs.
>> Drum, is Bridget there?"
>>
>> Jill

> Yes, we wouldn't have dared to call them by their first names, it was
> always Mr. or Mrs.
>
> Cheri

100%!

Respect is a social adhesive, lose it and things start to fall apart.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 1:46:46 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> In my part of the world "sir" is a title of respect. Usually said
> by a polite younger person to an older person. When my daughter
> was a teenager, some of her friends would call me sir at first. I
> hated it as it made me feel old. I always told them to just call
> me Gary.

That's the rules in your part of the world. In this part we use the Chinese tradition of calling persons older than oneself "uncle" or "auntie." I don't want someone calling me "sir" because it's an exclusionary term and puts them at a subservient level. It's okay if the guy parking my car at a hotel calls me "sir" but it's just plain weird when a neighbor does that.

Calling people not related to you "uncle" or "auntie" probably wouldn't work in your part of the world. I certainly wouldn't try it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 5:21:13 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> FOB Freight on Board is a term often used in the North American
> trucking business.

Mostly, Fresh Off the Boat is a term used by Asian Americans and a hit TV series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KhRKkLS_4I
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> On 1/17/2018 6:46 AM, Gary wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> There's a FOB latino woman and her husband living in those condos and
>>> yesterday, they called me "sir." That makes me cringe. That's what you'd
>>> call a tourist if you were working at one of the hotels.

>> In my part of the world "sir" is a title of respect. Usually said
>> by a polite younger person to an older person. When my daughter
>> was a teenager, some of her friends would call me sir at first. I
>> hated it as it made me feel old. I always told them to just call
>> me Gary.
>>

> Interesting. I always referred to my friends parents as Mr. or Mrs.
> whatever. For example, when I'd call on the phone I'd say "Hi, Mrs. Drum,
> is Bridget there?"
>
> Jill

Yes, we wouldn't have dared to call them by their first names, it was always
Mr. or Mrs.

Cheri

==

Gosh yes! Same here!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2018 10:52 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 1:46:46 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
>> In my part of the world "sir" is a title of respect. Usually said
>> by a polite younger person to an older person. When my daughter
>> was a teenager, some of her friends would call me sir at first. I
>> hated it as it made me feel old. I always told them to just call
>> me Gary.

> That's the rules in your part of the world. In this part we use the Chinese tradition of calling persons older than oneself "uncle" or "auntie." I don't want someone calling me "sir" because it's an exclusionary term and puts them at a subservient level. It's okay if the guy parking my car at a hotel calls me "sir" but it's just plain weird when a neighbor does that.
>
> Calling people not related to you "uncle" or "auntie" probably wouldn't work in your part of the world. I certainly wouldn't try it.

You ain't a kidding!

And calling an elder "Nana" might not work in your world.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/17/2018 10:57 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, January 17, 2018 at 5:21:13 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>> FOB Freight on Board is a term often used in the North American
>> trucking business.

> Mostly, Fresh Off the Boat is a term used by Asian Americans and a hit TV series.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KhRKkLS_4I

That's a pretty recent revision but a show I was not aware of.