Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Do Men Hate Using Coupons?

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-FLO-15287-...VXPWHGPE06GXYY

>There's also the cost of the blocking behind the walls to support the
>weight of somebody using a grab bar to catch themselves. You generally
>want something wider than a 1.5" 2x4 stud for proper support.

Grab bars are not for doing gymnastics, they are to hold onto to
steady oneself to prevent falling, primarily for while entering and
exiting the tub... they do not need to take one's full weight but the
commercial ones definitely can. And the standard 2 X 4 stud (even
though no longer full size) sandwiched between 1/2" sheetrock is
plenty strong enough because even though attached to two studs in
actuallity it's supported by the entire wall... grab bars are not for
300 pounders like you to climb like monkey bars.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >> Quality stainless steel grab bars will cost like $60 but the average
> >> homeowner should be able to install them or they shouldn't be a
> >> homeowner. Don't buy the lightweight cheapos:

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-FLO-15287-...VXPWHGPE06GXYY

> >There's also the cost of the blocking behind the walls to support the
> >weight of somebody using a grab bar to catch themselves. You generally
> >want something wider than a 1.5" 2x4 stud for proper support.

> Grab bars are not for doing gymnastics, they are to hold onto to
> steady oneself to prevent falling, primarily for while entering and
> exiting the tub... they do not need to take one's full weight but the
> commercial ones definitely can. And the standard 2 X 4 stud (even
> though no longer full size) sandwiched between 1/2" sheetrock is
> plenty strong enough because even though attached to two studs in
> actuallity it's supported by the entire wall... grab bars are not for
> 300 pounders like you to climb like monkey bars.

Lol...and wouldn't Steve's grab bar be attached like six inches above the tub floor...so low in fact it might even be anchored into the foundation...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve La Wertz wrote:

> Lol...and wouldn't Steve's grab bar be attached like six inches above the tub floor...so low in fact it might even be anchored into the foundation...

I picture a valuable grab bar about 4' above a tub floor.
Something to hold onto while stepping into the tub and shower.
One high enough for standing in the shower seems more worthwhile
to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Quality stainless steel grab bars will cost like $60 but the average
>>> homeowner should be able to install them or they shouldn't be a
>>> homeowner. Don't buy the lightweight cheapos:

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-FLO-15287-...VXPWHGPE06GXYY

>>There's also the cost of the blocking behind the walls to support the
>>weight of somebody using a grab bar to catch themselves. You generally
>>want something wider than a 1.5" 2x4 stud for proper support.

>Grab bars are not for doing gymnastics, they are to hold onto to
>steady oneself to prevent falling, primarily for while entering and
>exiting the tub... they do not need to take one's full weight but the
>commercial ones definitely can. And the standard 2 X 4 stud (even
>though no longer full size) sandwiched between 1/2" sheetrock is
>plenty strong enough because even though attached to two studs in
>actuallity it's supported by the entire wall... grab bars are not for
>300 pounders like you to climb like monkey bars.

certainly they should be able to take the full weight of a person
applied with force. You're a fool if you think there only purpose is
for balance. They are valuable to catch/support a person who is
slipping. You are such a putz.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Steve La Wertz wrote:

> Lol...and wouldn't Steve's grab bar be attached like six inches above the
> tub floor...so low in fact it might even be anchored into the
> foundation...

I picture a valuable grab bar about 4' above a tub floor.
Something to hold onto while stepping into the tub and shower.
One high enough for standing in the shower seems more worthwhile
to me.

==

I have one on the side of the shower. Not anchored in the way suggested,
but with suction cups. It works fine.

Like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-Tech-Hea...al+suction+cup

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-FLO-15287-...VXPWHGPE06GXYY

>>>There's also the cost of the blocking behind the walls to support the
>>>weight of somebody using a grab bar to catch themselves. You generally
>>>want something wider than a 1.5" 2x4 stud for proper support.

>>Grab bars are not for doing gymnastics, they are to hold onto to
>>steady oneself to prevent falling, primarily for while entering and
>>exiting the tub... they do not need to take one's full weight but the
>>commercial ones definitely can. And the standard 2 X 4 stud (even
>>though no longer full size) sandwiched between 1/2" sheetrock is
>>plenty strong enough because even though attached to two studs in
>>actuallity it's supported by the entire wall... grab bars are not for
>>300 pounders like you to climb like monkey bars.

> certainly they should be able to take the full weight of a person
> applied with force. You're a fool if you think there only purpose is
> for balance. They are valuable to catch/support a person who is
> slipping. You are such a putz.

I agree that they should be able to carry the weight, or the purpose is sort
of lost.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> Steve La Wertz wrote:
>>
>> Lol...and wouldn't Steve's grab bar be attached like six inches above the
>> tub floor...so low in fact it might even be anchored into the
>> foundation...

> I picture a valuable grab bar about 4' above a tub floor.
> Something to hold onto while stepping into the tub and shower.
> One high enough for standing in the shower seems more worthwhile
> to me.
>
> ==
>
> I have one on the side of the shower. Not anchored in the way suggested,
> but with suction cups. It works fine.
>
> Like this:

I have a bar that is attached to the tub, very sturdy and helpful for
stepping in and out of the shower. I did try one of the suction cup handles,
but the tiles are small and there wasn't room for the cup to fit completely
flat, so worthless in my case. I gave it to a friend and told him to use it
as a phone when he wants to "drink and dial" which he had a tendency to do.
LOL

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-FLO-15287-...VXPWHGPE06GXYY

>>>There's also the cost of the blocking behind the walls to support the
>>>weight of somebody using a grab bar to catch themselves. You generally
>>>want something wider than a 1.5" 2x4 stud for proper support.

>>Grab bars are not for doing gymnastics, they are to hold onto to
>>steady oneself to prevent falling, primarily for while entering and
>>exiting the tub... they do not need to take one's full weight but the
>>commercial ones definitely can. And the standard 2 X 4 stud (even
>>though no longer full size) sandwiched between 1/2" sheetrock is
>>plenty strong enough because even though attached to two studs in
>>actuallity it's supported by the entire wall... grab bars are not for
>>300 pounders like you to climb like monkey bars.

>certainly they should be able to take the full weight of a person
>applied with force. You're a fool if you think there only purpose is
>for balance. They are valuable to catch/support a person who is
>slipping. You are such a putz.

Too right, you can tell him, but you can't tell him much A
'decorative' grab bar would be far more dangerous than no bar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 16:38:04 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Gary" wrote in message ...
>
>Steve La Wertz wrote:
>>
>> Lol...and wouldn't Steve's grab bar be attached like six inches above the
>> tub floor...so low in fact it might even be anchored into the
>> foundation...

>I picture a valuable grab bar about 4' above a tub floor.
>Something to hold onto while stepping into the tub and shower.
>One high enough for standing in the shower seems more worthwhile
>to me.
>
>==
>
>I have one on the side of the shower. Not anchored in the way suggested,
>but with suction cups. It works fine.
>
>Like this:
>
>https://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-Tech-Hea...al+suction+cup

Those are not reliable and should be tested often.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> Steve La Wertz wrote:
>>
>> Lol...and wouldn't Steve's grab bar be attached like six inches above the
>> tub floor...so low in fact it might even be anchored into the
>> foundation...

> I picture a valuable grab bar about 4' above a tub floor.
> Something to hold onto while stepping into the tub and shower.
> One high enough for standing in the shower seems more worthwhile
> to me.
>
> ==
>
> I have one on the side of the shower. Not anchored in the way suggested,
> but with suction cups. It works fine.
>
> Like this:

I have a bar that is attached to the tub, very sturdy and helpful for
stepping in and out of the shower. I did try one of the suction cup handles,
but the tiles are small and there wasn't room for the cup to fit completely
flat, so worthless in my case. I gave it to a friend and told him to use it
as a phone when he wants to "drink and dial" which he had a tendency to do.
LOL

Cheri

==

lol Mine is attached to the side of the shower which has ... I suppose
plastic or something walls

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote in message ...

> ==
>
> I have one on the side of the shower. Not anchored in the way suggested,
> but with suction cups. It works fine.
>
> Like this:

I have a bar that is attached to the tub, very sturdy and helpful for
stepping in and out of the shower. I did try one of the suction cup handles,
but the tiles are small and there wasn't room for the cup to fit completely
flat, so worthless in my case. I gave it to a friend and told him to use it
as a phone when he wants to "drink and dial" which he had a tendency to do.
LOL

Cheri

==

lol Mine is attached to the side of the shower which has ... I suppose
plastic or something walls

====

Just to add, I had this at the last house. It is easy to take off and now I
use it here

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 07:57:28 -0800 (PST), Steve La Wertz

wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-FLO-15287-...VXPWHGPE06GXYY

>> >There's also the cost of the blocking behind the walls to support the
>> >weight of somebody using a grab bar to catch themselves. You generally
>> >want something wider than a 1.5" 2x4 stud for proper support.

>> Grab bars are not for doing gymnastics, they are to hold onto to
>> steady oneself to prevent falling, primarily for while entering and
>> exiting the tub... they do not need to take one's full weight but the
>> commercial ones definitely can. And the standard 2 X 4 stud (even
>> though no longer full size) sandwiched between 1/2" sheetrock is
>> plenty strong enough because even though attached to two studs in
>> actuallity it's supported by the entire wall... grab bars are not for
>> 300 pounders like you to climb like monkey bars.

>Lol...and wouldn't Steve's grab bar be attached like six inches above the
>tub floor...so low in fact it might even be anchored into the foundation...

The dwarf doesn't need grab bars to prevent falling, he needs grab
bars to prevent drowning! LOL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2018 11:19 AM, Gary wrote:
> Steve La Wertz wrote:
>>
>> Lol...and wouldn't Steve's grab bar be attached like six inches above the tub floor...so low in fact it might even be anchored into the foundation...

> I picture a valuable grab bar about 4' above a tub floor.
> Something to hold onto while stepping into the tub and shower.
> One high enough for standing in the shower seems more worthwhile
> to me.

Ours is 32" from the floor in back of the shower. At the entrance is a
vertical bar about 48" or so. There are ADA guidelines for the best
place to mount them

In the old shower with fiberglass sides there was nothing to screw into
so we used the suction cup type. While I don't trust them to hold my
total weight, they work fine to steady yourself stepping in or out of
the shower or tub.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2018 11:44 AM, wrote:

>> I have one on the side of the shower. Not anchored in the way suggested,
>> but with suction cups. It works fine.
>>
>> Like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-Tech-Hea...al+suction+cup

> Those are not reliable and should be tested often.

This is more typical for bathrooms
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Newthinking...words=grab+bar

They are not as good as a properly screwed in bar, but they are far
better than nothing. Most times you just need something to steady
yourself. Even a string on a bent nail would help.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/19/2018 10:51 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> There's also the cost of the blocking

>> Omelet wrote:

>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...

> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
> trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
> deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
> meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2018 3:57 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "casa de los sueños"Â* wrote in message news >
> On 1/19/2018 3:46 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>> On 2018-01-19 12:38 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Someone who doesn't want to share the road with a driver distracted
>>> by eating food in the car, adding cream/sugar to hot coffee,
>>> applying mascara, texting, or any of a thousand other things
>>> people do in their cars that they shouldn't.
>>>

>> Maybe she took such offense because she is homeless and her front seat is
>> her dining room.

> Maybe there is NO hope you will ever admit she was in a car her grandson
> was driving.
>
> --
>
> There are none so blind ...

Indeed!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2018 11:33 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>>> There's also the cost of the blocking behind the walls to support the
>>> weight of somebody using a grab bar to catch themselves. You generally
>>> want something wider than a 1.5" 2x4 stud for proper support.

>> Grab bars are not for doing gymnastics, they are to hold onto to
>> steady oneself to prevent falling, primarily for while entering and
>> exiting the tub... they do not need to take one's full weight but the
>> commercial ones definitely can. And the standard 2 X 4 stud (even
>> though no longer full size) sandwiched between 1/2" sheetrock is
>> plenty strong enough because even though attached to two studs in
>> actuallity it's supported by the entire wall... grab bars are not for
>> 300 pounders like you to climb like monkey bars.

> certainly they should be able to take the full weight of a person
> applied with force. You're a fool if you think there only purpose is
> for balance. They are valuable to catch/support a person who is
> slipping. You are such a putz.

Sure, properly mounted bars are best. But a suction cup bar can steady
you so you don't fall and need to put your weight onto it. One fall can
break bones and put you in the hospital but anything to grab on can
reduce the odds considererably, hundreds of time a year.

Lay an 8' long narrow board on the floor. Now walk across the length of
it. Easy.

Now raise the board 2' off the floor. Same board, but not so easy. But,
with something, anything, to hold on to you have confidence and keep
your balance and walk it. Same idea getting into the shower. Prevent
the slip and you don't need to hang on it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

>>> There's also the cost of the blocking behind the walls to support the
>>> weight of somebody using a grab bar to catch themselves. You generally
>>> want something wider than a 1.5" 2x4 stud for proper support.

>> Grab bars are not for doing gymnastics, they are to hold onto to
>> steady oneself to prevent falling, primarily for while entering and
>> exiting the tub... they do not need to take one's full weight but the
>> commercial ones definitely can. And the standard 2 X 4 stud (even
>> though no longer full size) sandwiched between 1/2" sheetrock is
>> plenty strong enough because even though attached to two studs in
>> actuallity it's supported by the entire wall... grab bars are not for
>> 300 pounders like you to climb like monkey bars.

> certainly they should be able to take the full weight of a person
> applied with force. You're a fool if you think there only purpose is
> for balance. They are valuable to catch/support a person who is
> slipping. You are such a putz.

Sure, properly mounted bars are best. But a suction cup bar can steady
you so you don't fall and need to put your weight onto it. One fall can
break bones and put you in the hospital but anything to grab on can
reduce the odds considererably, hundreds of time a year.

Lay an 8' long narrow board on the floor. Now walk across the length of
it. Easy.

Now raise the board 2' off the floor. Same board, but not so easy. But,
with something, anything, to hold on to you have confidence and keep
your balance and walk it. Same idea getting into the shower. Prevent
the slip and you don't need to hang on it.

--

Ours works fine for us. I had balance problems at the beginning of last
year (fixed when doc changed some meds). It worked for me then and it is

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 12:56:29 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 1/20/2018 11:19 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Steve La Wertz wrote:
>>>
>>> Lol...and wouldn't Steve's grab bar be attached like six inches above the tub floor...so low in fact it might even be anchored into the foundation...

>> I picture a valuable grab bar about 4' above a tub floor.
>> Something to hold onto while stepping into the tub and shower.
>> One high enough for standing in the shower seems more worthwhile
>> to me.
>>

>Ours is 32" from the floor in back of the shower. At the entrance is a
>vertical bar about 48" or so. There are ADA guidelines for the best
>place to mount them
>
>In the old shower with fiberglass sides there was nothing to screw into
>so we used the suction cup type. While I don't trust them to hold my
>total weight, they work fine to steady yourself stepping in or out of
>the shower or tub.

Before I renovated the bathroom I found the 2x4s behind the tiles and
drilled through and put a bar in that way. Wasn't going anywhere.

When I took the bath out and put in a shower, it has a seat built in
and a built in bar to one side of that which is accessible when
standing or sitting. The bathroom is considered the most dangerous
room in the house, for anyone but more so seniors. I always take my
phone into the bathroom with me when I am going to have a shower, so I
can reach it I put it in a low drawer in the vanity that I could reach
if I was unable to stand.

In my time in these condos three people have died in the bathroom
having knocked themselves out - it's concrete construction so you
would have to yell really loudly to make someone hear.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2018 11:31 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> just to balance somebody standing on their legs.
>
> -

>> Omelet wrote:

>> He hates me 'cause I never slept with him...

> He hates himself because he is all he has to sleep with
> I don't know, sometimes he used to seem normal, then he went petty
> trough vindictive and now I just shun contact. I have enough crazies to
> deal with in my world without encouraging those who refuse to take their
> meds.

For the record, I never once even considered sleeping with you. And
you know that. You're the one who somehow got the idea that I was
going to move in with you - and you posted that to RFC just out of the
total blue.

After having met you twice at casual austin.food gatherings 2 or 3
years ago and not giving you any indication that there was any sort of
romantic interest in the least, you somehow twisted that into MY
MOVING IN WITH YOU?

That was just way too Psycho for me. I sat there at stared at the
screen for at least 15 minutes wondering, WTF? That was just way too
spooky. I've met weird, semi-psycho women before but you win, hands
down. Mapi of austin.general still holds the male title, but at least
he announced his psychosis right there lying on the floor of the bar
at B.D. Reilly's rather than romantically obsessing over me for 2
years.

Needless to say, you need to come to terms with what happened and why
your mind works that way and stop making up excuses for your fixation
and disappointment before we become the next Yoli and Michael. I'd
prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

And Jeremy, I was just tired of your decade of bullshit and visions of
grandeur about all these things you're "working on" or have not done
in the past. Even posting a call for meetings with imaginary people
about imaginary projects of yours at "the normal time and place", as
if you are somebody important with a life. I'm pretty sure you're
manic depressive mixed with habitual liar.

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2018-01-20 12:56 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Ours is 32" from the floor in back of the shower.Â* At the entrance is a
> vertical bar about 48" or so.Â* There are ADA guidelines for the best
> place to mount them
>
> In the old shower with fiberglass sides there was nothing to screw into
> so we used the suction cup type.Â* While I don't trust them to hold my
> total weight, they work fine to steady yourself stepping in or out of
> the shower or tub.

You never know what is going to happen in the shower. I fell in ours
once. I thought maybe I had slipped, but it seems I was developing a bit
of a problem and had bouts of dizziness for a few days.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 08:38:30 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-FLO-15287-...VXPWHGPE06GXYY

>>>Grab bars are not for doing gymnastics, they are to hold onto to
>>>steady oneself to prevent falling, primarily for while entering and
>>>exiting the tub... they do not need to take one's full weight but the
>>>commercial ones definitely can. And the standard 2 X 4 stud (even
>>>though no longer full size) sandwiched between 1/2" sheetrock is
>>>plenty strong enough because even though attached to two studs in
>>>actuallity it's supported by the entire wall... grab bars are not for
>>>300 pounders like you to climb like monkey bars.

>> certainly they should be able to take the full weight of a person
>> applied with force. You're a fool if you think there only purpose is
>> for balance. They are valuable to catch/support a person who is
>> slipping. You are such a putz.

>I agree that they should be able to carry the weight, or the purpose is sort
>of lost.
>
>Cheri

Neither of yoose are any kind of engineer... yoose are the kind of
girls who give all females a bad rep for things mechanical.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-FLO-15287-...VXPWHGPE06GXYY

>>>Grab bars are not for doing gymnastics, they are to hold onto to
>>>steady oneself to prevent falling, primarily for while entering and
>>>exiting the tub... they do not need to take one's full weight but the
>>>commercial ones definitely can. And the standard 2 X 4 stud (even
>>>though no longer full size) sandwiched between 1/2" sheetrock is
>>>plenty strong enough because even though attached to two studs in
>>>actuallity it's supported by the entire wall... grab bars are not for
>>>300 pounders like you to climb like monkey bars.

>>certainly they should be able to take the full weight of a person
>>applied with force. You're a fool if you think there only purpose is
>>for balance. They are valuable to catch/support a person who is
>>slipping. You are such a putz.

>Too right, you can tell him, but you can't tell him much A
>'decorative' grab bar would be far more dangerous than no bar.

Another thumbtack heard from.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
news
> On 1/20/2018 11:44 AM, wrote:
>
>>> I have one on the side of the shower. Not anchored in the way
>>> suggested,
>>> but with suction cups. It works fine.
>>>
>>> Like this:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-Tech-Hea...al+suction+cup

>> Those are not reliable and should be tested often.
>>

> This is more typical for bathrooms
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Newthinking...words=grab+bar
>
> They are not as good as a properly screwed in bar, but they are far better
> than nothing. Most times you just need something to steady yourself.
> Even a string on a bent nail would help.

I have this type.

https://www.healthproductsforyou.com...-grab-bar.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>>> Grab bars are not for doing gymnastics, they are to hold onto to
>>> steady oneself to prevent falling, primarily for while entering and
>>> exiting the tub... they do not need to take one's full weight but the
>>> commercial ones definitely can. And the standard 2 X 4 stud (even
>>> though no longer full size) sandwiched between 1/2" sheetrock is
>>> plenty strong enough because even though attached to two studs in
>>> actuallity it's supported by the entire wall... grab bars are not for
>>> 300 pounders like you to climb like monkey bars.

>> certainly they should be able to take the full weight of a person
>> applied with force. You're a fool if you think there only purpose is
>> for balance. They are valuable to catch/support a person who is
>> slipping. You are such a putz.
>>

> Sure, properly mounted bars are best. But a suction cup bar can steady
> you so you don't fall and need to put your weight onto it. One fall can
> break bones and put you in the hospital but anything to grab on can reduce
> the odds considererably, hundreds of time a year.
>
> Lay an 8' long narrow board on the floor. Now walk across the length of
> it. Easy.
>
> Now raise the board 2' off the floor. Same board, but not so easy. But,
> with something, anything, to hold on to you have confidence and keep your
> balance and walk it. Same idea getting into the shower. Prevent the slip
> and you don't need to hang on it.

True, I have a towel bar next to where I get out of the bathtub too and
simply laying a hand on it without much weight at all steadies me.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 08:38:30 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

. ..

wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-FLO-15287-...VXPWHGPE06GXYY

>>> certainly they should be able to take the full weight of a person
>>> applied with force. You're a fool if you think there only purpose is
>>> for balance. They are valuable to catch/support a person who is
>>> slipping. You are such a putz.

>>I agree that they should be able to carry the weight, or the purpose is
>>sort
>>of lost.
>>
>>Cheri

> Neither of yoose are any kind of engineer... yoose are the kind of
> girls who give all females a bad rep for things mechanical.

And yoose...are some species that gives unknown species a bad rap.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 6:38:30 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> I have one on the side of the shower. Not anchored in the way suggested,
> but with suction cups. It works fine.
>
> Like this:
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-Tech-Hea...al+suction+cup

I have used the suction cup ones before. Occasionally it would lose its grip and I'd find it in the bathtub. I replaced that with a standard grab rail.. I've been trying to install one on the bath downstairs but have been having a tough time drilling through the tile.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2018 1:14 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 6:38:30 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> I have one on the side of the shower. Not anchored in the way suggested,
>> but with suction cups. It works fine.
>>
>> Like this:
>>
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-Tech-Hea...al+suction+cup

> I have used the suction cup ones before. Occasionally it would lose its grip and I'd find it in the bathtub. I replaced that with a standard grab rail. I've been trying to install one on the bath downstairs but have been having a tough time drilling through the tile.

Start with a real small carbide tip masonry bit, go super slow at first
and if you can either make a scratch awl tiny x or just use two pieces
of electrical tape and make X with the drill bit centered.

That helps prevent the skipping around silliness, which can make a mess
of the tile you don't want to drill.

The key thing is consistent pressure and maybe have your wife pour some
water over the bit if it heats up.

I used to use cutting fluid but it over-lubricates.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 6:38:30 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> I have one on the side of the shower. Not anchored in the way suggested,
> but with suction cups. It works fine.
>
> Like this:
>
> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-Tech-Hea...al+suction+cup

I have used the suction cup ones before. Occasionally it would lose its grip
and I'd find it in the bathtub. I replaced that with a standard grab rail.
I've been trying to install one on the bath downstairs but have been having
a tough time drilling through the tile.

===

It wouldn't stay gripped on the tile wall, but the other shower wall
(plastic? whatever) it is steady as a rock.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2018 1:25 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1"Â* wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 6:38:30 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> I have one on the side of the shower.Â* Not anchored in the way suggested,
>> but with suction cups.Â* It works fine.
>>
>> Like this:
>>
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-Tech-Hea...al+suction+cup
>>

> I have used the suction cup ones before. Occasionally it would lose its
> grip
> and I'd find it in the bathtub. I replaced that with a standard grab rail.
> I've been trying to install one on the bath downstairs but have been having
> a tough time drilling through the tile.
>
> ===
>
> It wouldn't stay gripped on the tile wall, but the other shower wall
> (plastic? whatever) it is steady as a rock.

Tile has some texture in the finish, even smooth looking tile.

Plastic is more uniform and holds on better.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"esta vieja casa" wrote in message news
On 1/20/2018 1:25 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 6:38:30 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> I have one on the side of the shower. Not anchored in the way suggested,
>> but with suction cups. It works fine.
>>
>> Like this:
>>
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-Tech-Hea...al+suction+cup

> I have used the suction cup ones before. Occasionally it would lose its
> grip
> and I'd find it in the bathtub. I replaced that with a standard grab rail.
> I've been trying to install one on the bath downstairs but have been
> having
> a tough time drilling through the tile.
>
> ===
>
> It wouldn't stay gripped on the tile wall, but the other shower wall
> (plastic? whatever) it is steady as a rock.

Tile has some texture in the finish, even smooth looking tile.

Plastic is more uniform and holds on better.

==

It certainly seems to work that way. It hasn't come off once since it was
put on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 11:57:40 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/EZ-FLO-15287-...VXPWHGPE06GXYY

>>>I agree that they should be able to carry the weight, or the purpose is
>>>sort
>>>of lost.
>>>
>>>Cheri

>> Neither of yoose are any kind of engineer... yoose are the kind of
>> girls who give all females a bad rep for things mechanical.

>And yoose...are some species that gives unknown species a bad rap.
>
>Cheri

I think he gives booze a bad rep too!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 13:15:05 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>>> Grab bars are not for doing gymnastics, they are to hold onto to
>>> steady oneself to prevent falling, primarily for while entering and
>>> exiting the tub... they do not need to take one's full weight but the
>>> commercial ones definitely can. And the standard 2 X 4 stud (even
>>> though no longer full size) sandwiched between 1/2" sheetrock is
>>> plenty strong enough because even though attached to two studs in
>>> actuallity it's supported by the entire wall... grab bars are not for
>>> 300 pounders like you to climb like monkey bars.

>> certainly they should be able to take the full weight of a person
>> applied with force. You're a fool if you think there only purpose is
>> for balance. They are valuable to catch/support a person who is
>> slipping. You are such a putz.
>>

>Sure, properly mounted bars are best. But a suction cup bar can steady
>you so you don't fall and need to put your weight onto it. One fall can
>break bones and put you in the hospital but anything to grab on can
>reduce the odds considererably, hundreds of time a year.
>
>Lay an 8' long narrow board on the floor. Now walk across the length of
>it. Easy.
>
>Now raise the board 2' off the floor. Same board, but not so easy. But,
>with something, anything, to hold on to you have confidence and keep
>your balance and walk it. Same idea getting into the shower. Prevent
>the slip and you don't need to hang on it.

Exactly, that's what handrails on stairs are for... to steady oneself,
not for hanging from... yet still commercial grab bars can easily
support a 500 pounder because even during a slip most of one's weight
is still on the tub floor.. and grab bars do nothing if not grabbed,
then they're just for hanging a towel.
I have commercial SS grab bars in my tub and I'd bet professional
wrestlers tugging with all their might couldn't make them let loose.
There are four 5/16"SS lag bolts 1 1/2" into the stud on each end...
they'd need to be able to pull the entire wall down and that ain't
happening... especially not in this house, every stick of lumber is
from trees that were growing on this property and it's all full size,
2 X 4s are a full 2" X 4".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 10:21:48 AM UTC-10, esta vieja casa wrote:
> On 1/20/2018 1:14 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 6:38:30 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >>
> >> I have one on the side of the shower. Not anchored in the way suggested,
> >> but with suction cups. It works fine.
> >>
> >> Like this:
> >>
> >> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-Tech-Hea...al+suction+cup

> > I have used the suction cup ones before. Occasionally it would lose its grip and I'd find it in the bathtub. I replaced that with a standard grab rail. I've been trying to install one on the bath downstairs but have been having a tough time drilling through the tile.
> >

> Start with a real small carbide tip masonry bit, go super slow at first
> and if you can either make a scratch awl tiny x or just use two pieces
> of electrical tape and make X with the drill bit centered.
>
> That helps prevent the skipping around silliness, which can make a mess
> of the tile you don't want to drill.
>
> The key thing is consistent pressure and maybe have your wife pour some
> water over the bit if it heats up.
>
> I used to use cutting fluid but it over-lubricates.

I've tried that. Upstairs tile was easy to drill through. Downstairs tile is stopid hard. I'm going to try diamond bits next.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 10:26:02 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 6:38:30 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > I have one on the side of the shower. Not anchored in the way suggested,
> > but with suction cups. It works fine.
> >
> > Like this:
> >
> > https://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-Tech-Hea...al+suction+cup

> I have used the suction cup ones before. Occasionally it would lose its grip
> and I'd find it in the bathtub. I replaced that with a standard grab rail.
> I've been trying to install one on the bath downstairs but have been having
> a tough time drilling through the tile.
>
> ===
>
> It wouldn't stay gripped on the tile wall, but the other shower wall
> (plastic? whatever) it is steady as a rock.

You're right about that. I used to give it a hard tug first before using it. That's always a good idea.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Gary" wrote in message ...
>
>Steve La Wertz wrote:
>>
>> Lol...and wouldn't Steve's grab bar be attached like six inches above the
>> tub floor...so low in fact it might even be anchored into the
>> foundation...

>I picture a valuable grab bar about 4' above a tub floor.
>Something to hold onto while stepping into the tub and shower.
>One high enough for standing in the shower seems more worthwhile
>to me.
>
>==
>
>I have one on the side of the shower. Not anchored in the way suggested,
>but with suction cups. It works fine.
>
>Like this:
>
>https://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-Tech-Hea...al+suction+cup

Those Toys R Us suction cup bars let loose exactly when you need
them... it's no big deal to install real grab bars.
My stingy electrician friend who is relatively as well off as Trump
installed a suction cup bar and it let loose when his wife was exiting
the shower, she went down and broke two bones in her neck, lucky to be
alive, and after two years still in a wheel chair with a monsterous
Frankenstein brace. After he told me I added a third grab bar on the
tub wall in front where the shower set is, for steadying when getting
out of the tub. my wife is a lefty so needed it... the bar cost $30
and took me 15 minutes to install. WTF are peeps such cheapo
*******s... those suction cup thingies are as useful as padded bras.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/20/2018 2:45 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, January 20, 2018 at 10:21:48 AM UTC-10, esta vieja casa wrote:

>>> I have used the suction cup ones before. Occasionally it would lose its grip and I'd find it in the bathtub. I replaced that with a standard grab rail. I've been trying to install one on the bath downstairs but have been having a tough time drilling through the tile.
>>>

>> Start with a real small carbide tip masonry bit, go super slow at first
>> and if you can either make a scratch awl tiny x or just use two pieces
>> of electrical tape and make X with the drill bit centered.
>>
>> That helps prevent the skipping around silliness, which can make a mess
>> of the tile you don't want to drill.
>>
>> The key thing is consistent pressure and maybe have your wife pour some
>> water over the bit if it heats up.
>>
>> I used to use cutting fluid but it over-lubricates.

> I've tried that. Upstairs tile was easy to drill through. Downstairs tile is stopid hard. I'm going to try diamond bits next.

Dang, that's some space shuttle grade tile man!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 20 Jan 2018 11:52:32 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
>news

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Am-Tech-Hea...al+suction+cup

>>> Those are not reliable and should be tested often.
>>>

>> This is more typical for bathrooms
>> https://www.amazon.co.uk/Newthinking...words=grab+bar
>>
>> They are not as good as a properly screwed in bar, but they are far better
>> than nothing. Most times you just need something to steady yourself.
>> Even a string on a bent nail would help.

>I have this type.
>
>https://www.healthproductsforyou.com...-grab-bar.html

Garbage!

OT - not going to say I hate summer but I hate bugs Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 29 07-07-2011 08:01 PM
Coupons. Aussie[_4_] General Cooking 30 09-01-2011 04:42 PM
Coupons ImStillMags General Cooking 85 25-03-2010 06:07 PM
coupons Virginia Tadrzynski General Cooking 6 16-11-2007 04:18 AM
coupons [email protected] Vegan 0 14-11-2007 10:01 PM