Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Photo Mashed Potato Croquettes

These croquettes have been browned on two sides. The third side has
yet to be turned over to brown. This is how my mother taught me to
make them and the way her mother taught her to make them
http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...6yvx6.jpg.html
or
http://tinyurl.com/y77rfthy
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet B. wrote:

> These croquettes have been browned on two sides. The third side has
> yet to be turned over to brown. This is how my mother taught me to
> make them and the way her mother taught her to make them
> http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...6yvx6.jpg.html
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/y77rfthy

I like it...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 15:20:42 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>These croquettes have been browned on two sides. The third side has
>yet to be turned over to brown. This is how my mother taught me to
>make them and the way her mother taught her to make them
>http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...6yvx6.jpg.html
>or
>http://tinyurl.com/y77rfthy
>Janet US

I'd never have called those things croquettes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2018 3:20 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> These croquettes have been browned on two sides. The third side has
> yet to be turned over to brown. This is how my mother taught me to
> make them and the way her mother taught her to make them
> http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...6yvx6.jpg.html
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/y77rfthy
> Janet US

Drop dead beauties!

And a very attractive skillet too.

Calphalon?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 1/12/2018 5:20 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> These croquettes have been browned on two sides. The third side has
> yet to be turned over to brown. This is how my mother taught me to
> make them and the way her mother taught her to make them
> http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...6yvx6.jpg.html
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/y77rfthy
> Janet US

Those look quite tasty! Thanks for sharing.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
news

> These croquettes have been browned on two sides. The third side has
> yet to be turned over to brown. This is how my mother taught me to
> make them and the way her mother taught her to make them
> http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...6yvx6.jpg.html
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/y77rfthy
> Janet US

Looks good.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 17:41:51 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
>news
>>
>> These croquettes have been browned on two sides. The third side has
>> yet to be turned over to brown. This is how my mother taught me to
>> make them and the way her mother taught her to make them
>> http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...6yvx6.jpg.html
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/y77rfthy
>> Janet US

>Looks good.

But what would you call it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 17:41:51 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
>>news
>>>
>>> These croquettes have been browned on two sides. The third side has
>>> yet to be turned over to brown. This is how my mother taught me to
>>> make them and the way her mother taught her to make them
>>> http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...6yvx6.jpg.html
>>> or
>>> http://tinyurl.com/y77rfthy
>>> Janet US

>>Looks good.

> But what would you call it?

Something that looks good and also looks like mashed potato croquettes to
me.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 19:19:59 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 17:41:51 -0800, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
>>>news >>>>
>>>

>>>Looks good.

>> But what would you call it?

>Something that looks good and also looks like mashed potato croquettes to
>me.

Terminology varies then. This is what I'd call a (prefab) potato
croquette:
<https://www.diepvriesman.nl/images/eshop/products/orig/5321_mini-aardappelkroket.jpg>

And this type of "15% meat" croquette is very popular in the snackbars
that I remember:
<https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/91/Febo5.JPG/450px-Febo5.JPG>

>Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 19:19:59 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> But what would you call it?

>>Something that looks good and also looks like mashed potato croquettes to
>>me.

> Terminology varies then. This is what I'd call a (prefab) potato
> croquette:
> <https://www.diepvriesman.nl/images/eshop/products/orig/5321_mini-aardappelkroket.jpg>
>
> And this type of "15% meat" croquette is very popular in the snackbars
> that I remember:
> <https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/91/Febo5.JPG/450px-Febo5.JPG>

I suppose, but this is what I call a mashed potato croquette.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/ma...ato-croquettes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 22:15:06 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 19:19:59 -0800, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>Something that looks good and also looks like mashed potato croquettes to
>>>me.

>> Terminology varies then. This is what I'd call a (prefab) potato
>> croquette:
>> <https://www.diepvriesman.nl/images/eshop/products/orig/5321_mini-aardappelkroket.jpg>
>>
>> And this type of "15% meat" croquette is very popular in the snackbars
>> that I remember:
>> <https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/91/Febo5.JPG/450px-Febo5.JPG>

>I suppose, but this is what I call a mashed potato croquette.
>
>https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/ma...ato-croquettes

The shape's different but the idea's the same: it's closed all around.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 1:51:15 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 22:15:06 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
> >"Bruce" > wrote in message
> .. .

> >> Terminology varies then. This is what I'd call a (prefab) potato
> >> croquette:
> >> <https://www.diepvriesman.nl/images/eshop/products/orig/5321_mini-aardappelkroket.jpg>
> >>
> >> And this type of "15% meat" croquette is very popular in the snackbars
> >> that I remember:
> >> <https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/91/Febo5.JPG/450px-Febo5.JPG>

> >I suppose, but this is what I call a mashed potato croquette.
> >
> >https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/ma...ato-croquettes

> The shape's different but the idea's the same: it's closed all around.

The main difference appears to be that the ones you linked to are deep-fried
and hers were pan-fried. Is deep frying a requirement for croquettes?
Wikipedia seems to think so.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
>news
>>
>> These croquettes have been browned on two sides. The third side has
>> yet to be turned over to brown. This is how my mother taught me to
>> make them and the way her mother taught her to make them
>> http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...6yvx6.jpg.html
>> or
>> http://tinyurl.com/y77rfthy
>> Janet US

>Looks good.
>
>Cheri

They sure do - I definitely have a second
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>These croquettes have been browned on two sides. The third side has
>yet to be turned over to brown. This is how my mother taught me to
>make them and the way her mother taught her to make them
>http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...6yvx6.jpg.html
>or
>http://tinyurl.com/y77rfthy
>Janet US

size, shape, ingredients and country of origin seem to abound
https://www.canstockphoto.com/images...croquette.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 04:25:31 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 1:51:15 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 22:15:06 -0800, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >"Bruce" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> >I suppose, but this is what I call a mashed potato croquette.
>> >
>> >https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/ma...ato-croquettes

>> The shape's different but the idea's the same: it's closed all around.

>The main difference appears to be that the ones you linked to are deep-fried
>and hers were pan-fried. Is deep frying a requirement for croquettes?
>Wikipedia seems to think so.

I know croquettes as ranging from French and fancy to a popular
snackbar product. When I was a kid, there was no better treat than
fries with mayo and a croquette. But in all cases they were deepfried.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 13 Jan 2018 11:22:57 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Jan 2018 15:20:42 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
>wrote:
>

>>These croquettes have been browned on two sides. The third side has
>>yet to be turned over to brown. This is how my mother taught me to
>>make them and the way her mother taught her to make them
>>http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...6yvx6.jpg.html
>>or
>>http://tinyurl.com/y77rfthy
>>Janet US

>size, shape, ingredients and country of origin seem to abound
>https://www.canstockphoto.com/images...croquette.html

What a coincidence that one of those pictures is of Jill eating a
croquette:
<https://comps.canstockphoto.com/elderly-lady-eating-stock-photo_csp3437012.jpg>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

They look very tasty, but I thought croquettes of any kind should be deep fried, so would
be crispy all around, and would be shaped like a short, very thick around, cone or oval
shape.

But potatoes are potatoes, and I eat them in any shape. Thanks for sharing! ;-))

N.