Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS0IUK3DOnE

>>> From my experience, 'country style spare ribs' are boneless bits
>>> of
>>> pork butt. They won't stand up well. I think maybe you could
>>> use a bamboo spear to make them do that? (snip end of wood spear
>>> off).
>>>
>>> Worth a try and they'd be good if not the same recipe.
>>>

>> ÂÂ* I have some country style ribs in my freezer , and they for
>> sure are
>> not bits of butt . They have pieces of rib in them ...
>>
>> ÂÂ* --
>>
>> ÂÂ* Snag
>>

> Country style pork ribs should haee bone unless their labeled as
> boneless.

I wonder if he meant St. Louis cut, or if this was more a pork steak cut
done thick.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote:

>Some of the boneless country style ribs are boneless and some are not.
>I don't know if it's the butchers choice or what but yes, I think if
>it's not exactly what I thought it should be they'd still be good.

I find the country style spare ribs with bones are much better than
the boneless ones... a lot has to do with price.... usually the ones
with bones are inexpensive so I prefer to buy those.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-12-04 8:29 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2017-12-04, Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>
>> But don't call it barbecue.

> Why!? I gotta recipe fer "Barbecued Pot Roast" in my pressure cooker
> supplied cookbook.
>
> This entire concept of BBQ has been highjacked by the Carolina's and
> Texas brisket "purists". "Low and slow" is the mantra, and it's
> totally absurd and "unrecognized" by the rest of this planet.

Low and slow can be achieved by searing a roast and then roasting it for
many hours a a very low temperature. The result being a rare but very
tender meat.

The idea of long and slow Texas style doesn't appeal to me as a regular
part of a diet due to all the carcinogens from the smoke. And smoking is
a more serious health hazard (plenty of epidemiological studies in
support) than the quick searing on a grill.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-12-04 10:31 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 4:12:57 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> i haven't had a chance to see the whole vid yet. We have been travelling
>> back up. Just having a rest atm)
>>

>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> My understanding is that people in the UK have found out about pulled pork i.e., fatty pork that's overcooked and pulled apart instead of sliced. Can kalua pork be far behind?

The French have a similar dish called "rillettes".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-12-04 4:45 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 04 Dec 2017 02:11:43p, Ophelia told us...
>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
>> 9.44...
>>
>> On Mon 04 Dec 2017 07:09:05a, Ophelia told us...

>>> You shot them?
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Errr nooo I teased them with a bit of lettuce and they jumped
>>> into the pot <g>
>>>

>> LOL That's right... Killed them with kindness. :-)
>>
>> I've only had wild rabbit once and it was delicious. Otherwise, I
>> can only by farm rasied rabbit frozen.
>>

>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> ==
>>
>> It's too strong for me, but D loves it and what he doesn't eat
>> Poppy will
>>
>> No waste and it helps the farmer)
>>

> My cousin went hunting and shot several rabbits. His wife dressed
> them and prepared the parts as one would make southern fried chicken.
> I don't know if I would have liked it prepared any other way.
>
> Howebver, the farma raised rabbits I have used to make hassenpfeffer
> and it was mild and delicious.

My Mother made rabbit stew every August during the harvest. The combines
or binders would disturb the rabbits hidden in the wheat fields and they
would fall prey to people with rabbiting sticks or with terriers.
Mum and Dad would always put the kidney to one side if they found one in
their portion just for me. I considered them to be a great delicacy -
even at 4 or 5 years old!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS0IUK3DOnE

> > > A few weeks ago on ATK or it could have Cooks Country Bridget and
> > > Julia did a couple of slabs of ribs in the crockpot. They used a
> > > regular rub like you would if you were to traditionally smoke
> > > them. They were placed standing up, lining the inside of the
> > > vessel and NO water added. After 8 or 10 hours they took them
> > > out to dry out a bit then in something like a 450° oven for a
> > > few minute for a slight crust. They used the defatted liquid the
> > > ribs had given off to make their homemade barbecue sauce which
> > > they painted on the ribs. Back in the oven for a few minutes
> > > until there was an ever so slight char on them.
> > >
> > > I want to try this with some country style spare ribs to see how
> > > well they turn out.

> > From my experience, 'country style spare ribs' are boneless bits of
> > pork butt. They won't stand up well. I think maybe you could use a
> > bamboo spear to make them do that? (snip end of wood spear off).
> >
> > Worth a try and they'd be good if not the same recipe.
> >

> Â* I have some country style ribs in my freezer , and they for sure
> are not bits of butt . They have pieces of rib in them ...
>
> Â* --
>
> Â* Snag

Probably area differences in naming. I think some use pork loin for
them too?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS0IUK3DOnE

>>> From my experience, 'country style spare ribs' are boneless bits of
>>> pork butt. They won't stand up well. I think maybe you could use a
>>> bamboo spear to make them do that? (snip end of wood spear off).
>>>
>>> Worth a try and they'd be good if not the same recipe.
>>>

>> Â* I have some country style ribs in my freezer , and they for sure
>> are not bits of butt . They have pieces of rib in them ...
>>
>> Â* --
>>
>> Â* Snag

> Probably area differences in naming. I think some use pork loin for
> them too?

Â*Â* I don't know , I buy loins to cut up for steaks and roasts . OK ,
looked around a little , article in wiki sez they come from the front
end of the loin , and looks to me like they have ribs in them - the
article says they have shoulder blade bone in them .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS0IUK3DOnE

>>> A few weeks ago on ATK or it could have Cooks Country Bridget and
>>> Julia did a couple of slabs of ribs in the crockpot. They used a
>>> regular rub like you would if you were to traditionally smoke them.
>>> They were placed standing up, lining the inside of the vessel and NO
>>> water added. After 8 or 10 hours they took them out to dry out a bit
>>> then in something like a 450° oven for a few minute for a slight
>>> crust. They used the defatted liquid the ribs had given off to make
>>> their homemade barbecue sauce which they painted on the ribs. Back
>>> in the oven for a few minutes until there was an ever so slight char
>>> on them.
>>>
>>> I want to try this with some country style spare ribs to see how well
>>> they turn out.

>> From my experience, 'country style spare ribs' are boneless bits of
>> pork butt. They won't stand up well. I think maybe you could use a
>> bamboo spear to make them do that? (snip end of wood spear off).
>>
>> Worth a try and they'd be good if not the same recipe.
>>

> * I have some country style ribs in my freezer , and they for sure are
>not bits of butt . They have pieces of rib in them ...
>
> * --
>
> * Snag

correct, not pork butt. I use them all the time. Bone in. See
https://www.porkbeinspired.com/cuts/country-style-ribs/
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS0IUK3DOnE

>> > From my experience, 'country style spare ribs' are boneless bits of
>> > pork butt. They won't stand up well. I think maybe you could use a
>> > bamboo spear to make them do that? (snip end of wood spear off).
>> >
>> > Worth a try and they'd be good if not the same recipe.
>> >

>> * I have some country style ribs in my freezer , and they for sure
>> are not bits of butt . They have pieces of rib in them ...
>>
>> * --
>>
>> * Snag

>Probably area differences in naming. I think some use pork loin for
>them too?

The Pork Board says from the loin, period. If your butcher is giving
you pork butt he's cheating you.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 7:50:59 PM UTC-6, graham wrote:

> The idea of long and slow Texas style doesn't appeal to me as a regular
> part of a diet due to all the carcinogens from the smoke. And smoking is
> a more serious health hazard (plenty of epidemiological studies in
> support) than the quick searing on a grill.

I think you mentioned this a few weeks ago. There are no carcinogens UNLESS
the flames are licking your meat. When meats are smoked the flame never
comes near the meat as the flame is no where near it. Carcinogens are
produced when meats are smoked over a high flame (that is produced by
people who don't have a clue what they are doing).

Many people have what are called coffin smokers aka offset smoker. The
fire box is on one side of this smoker while the meat is in another area completely away from the flame. Vents are opened to allow the smoke to
be drawn over your choice of animal on the grates. I don't have a smoker
per se but I do use my Weber grill to make it into a smoker with meat on
one side and hot coals on the other side. Upper and lower vents are opened less than halfway to draw and maintain a lower, steady temperature.

Here's a picture of an offset smoker with lids up to show you the firebox
and the vents that can be adjusted. Your prepared animal goes into the
larger box to become a succulent thing of beauty in several hours.

https://postimg.org/image/mbxdmi1qp/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 11:20:31 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> Pulled pork may have been found here, but it has passed me by!
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Us yanks have given you hip hop music and pulled pork. Consider us
even-Steven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tQfv5ujvZ4

==

Cool. What is the payback for?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.44...

On Mon 04 Dec 2017 02:11:43p, Ophelia told us...

> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
> 9.44...
>
> On Mon 04 Dec 2017 07:09:05a, Ophelia told us...
>
>> "Julie Bove" wrote in message news >>
>>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>> "Julie Bove" wrote in message
>>> news >>>

>>> I used to but no longer as I couldn't tell the difference. I
>>> actually rarely use the Crockpot at all now.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> We are on the farm. Shot some rabbits yesterday and they are in
>>> the slow cooker. Easy peasy.

>> You shot them?
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Errr nooo I teased them with a bit of lettuce and they jumped
>> into the pot <g>
>>

> LOL That's right... Killed them with kindness. :-)
>
> I've only had wild rabbit once and it was delicious. Otherwise, I
> can only by farm rasied rabbit frozen.
>

> Wayne Boatwright
>
> ==
>
> It's too strong for me, but D loves it and what he doesn't eat
> Poppy will
>
> No waste and it helps the farmer)

My cousin went hunting and shot several rabbits. His wife dressed
them and prepared the parts as one would make southern fried chicken.
I don't know if I would have liked it prepared any other way.

Howebver, the farma raised rabbits I have used to make hassenpfeffer
and it was mild and delicious.

Wayne Boatwright
==

I think the farm raised have a milder flavour, no?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-12-04 4:45 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Mon 04 Dec 2017 02:11:43p, Ophelia told us...
>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
>> 9.44...
>>
>> On Mon 04 Dec 2017 07:09:05a, Ophelia told us...

>>> You shot them?
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Errr nooo I teased them with a bit of lettuce and they jumped
>>> into the pot <g>
>>>

>> LOL That's right... Killed them with kindness. :-)
>>
>> I've only had wild rabbit once and it was delicious. Otherwise, I
>> can only by farm rasied rabbit frozen.
>>

>> Wayne Boatwright
>>
>> ==
>>
>> It's too strong for me, but D loves it and what he doesn't eat
>> Poppy will
>>
>> No waste and it helps the farmer)
>>

> My cousin went hunting and shot several rabbits. His wife dressed
> them and prepared the parts as one would make southern fried chicken.
> I don't know if I would have liked it prepared any other way.
>
> Howebver, the farma raised rabbits I have used to make hassenpfeffer
> and it was mild and delicious.

My Mother made rabbit stew every August during the harvest. The combines
or binders would disturb the rabbits hidden in the wheat fields and they
would fall prey to people with rabbiting sticks or with terriers.
Mum and Dad would always put the kidney to one side if they found one in
their portion just for me. I considered them to be a great delicacy -
even at 4 or 5 years old!

==

Spoilt lad <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-12-04 8:29 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2017-12-04, Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>
>> But don't call it barbecue.

> Why!? I gotta recipe fer "Barbecued Pot Roast" in my pressure cooker
> supplied cookbook.
>
> This entire concept of BBQ has been highjacked by the Carolina's and
> Texas brisket "purists". "Low and slow" is the mantra, and it's
> totally absurd and "unrecognized" by the rest of this planet.

Low and slow can be achieved by searing a roast and then roasting it for
many hours a a very low temperature. The result being a rare but very
tender meat.

The idea of long and slow Texas style doesn't appeal to me as a regular
part of a diet due to all the carcinogens from the smoke. And smoking is
a more serious health hazard (plenty of epidemiological studies in
support) than the quick searing on a grill.

===

I agree and I won't eat smoked foods. Dangerous.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 18:50:57 -0700, graham > wrote:

snip

>The idea of long and slow Texas style doesn't appeal to me as a regular
>part of a diet due to all the carcinogens from the smoke. And smoking is
>a more serious health hazard (plenty of epidemiological studies in
>support) than the quick searing on a grill.

Have fun reading up on carcinogens and BBQ. First of all, researchers
freely use the term BBQ when what they mean is grilling or any kind of
approach to outdoor cooking. But, what I have learned from reading
this a.m. is that high heat exposure to meat and eggs will produce the
carcinogens. (i.e., frying in a pan at high temps or cooking in an
oven or grilling will all produce the carcinogens if done at HIGH
heat) Anyone here sear meat at high temp to brown it to get flavor?
Recommendation from several sources is to pre-cook the meat for a
period of time in the microwave before grilling. Lovely. If you
read further among the many articles, the researcher will say
something to the effect that there is no strong evidence that these
particular carcinogens cause cancer among humans (results from test
feeding large amounts to lab rats are different of course)
Yes, meat drippings will cause smoke (kitchen or outdoors) and that
will also produce a carcinogen.

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/5/2017 1:09 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> Country style pork ribs should haee bone unless their labeled as
>>> boneless.
>>>

>> I wonder if he meant St. Louis cut, or if this was more a pork
>> steak cut done thick.
>>

> I've no idea what he means. However, every place I buy ribs, St.
> Louis cut is simply a well trimmed slab of spareribs with the flap
> removed. Country style ribs generally have a slender bone to the
> side and a good bit of meat. They are cut and sold individually.

The county rib here can be bone or boneless. The bone is often in the
center as they are cut from the butt. I prefer with the bone. They
take 4 to 5 hours in the smoker.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/4/2017 6:50 PM, graham wrote:
> On 2017-12-04 8:29 AM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2017-12-04, Cindy Hamilton > wrote:
>>
>>> But don't call it barbecue.

>> Why!?Â* I gotta recipe fer "Barbecued Pot Roast" in my pressure cooker
>> supplied cookbook.
>>
>> This entire concept of BBQ has been highjacked by the Carolina's and
>> Texas brisket "purists".Â* "Low and slow" is the mantra, and it's
>> totally absurd and "unrecognized" by the rest of this planet.
>>

> Low and slow can be achieved by searing a roast and then roasting it for
> many hours a a very low temperature. The result being a rare but very
> tender meat.
>
> The idea of long and slow Texas style doesn't appeal to me as a regular
> part of a diet due to all the carcinogens from the smoke. And smoking is
> a more serious health hazard (plenty of epidemiological studies in
> support) than the quick searing on a grill.

All true, but no one says you have to eat Q every week.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS0IUK3DOnE

>>> Country style pork ribs should haee bone unless their labeled as
>>> boneless.
>>>

>> I wonder if he meant St. Louis cut, or if this was more a pork
>> steak cut done thick.
>>

> I've no idea what he means. However, every place I buy ribs, St.
> Louis cut is simply a well trimmed slab of spareribs with the flap
> removed. Country style ribs generally have a slender bone to the
> side and a good bit of meat. They are cut and sold individually.

Fair enough!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>graham wrote:
>>
>>The idea of long and slow Texas style doesn't appeal to me as a regular
>>part of a diet due to all the carcinogens from the smoke. And smoking is
>>a more serious health hazard (plenty of epidemiological studies in
>>support) than the quick searing on a grill.

>Have fun reading up on carcinogens and BBQ. First of all, researchers
>freely use the term BBQ when what they mean is grilling or any kind of
>approach to outdoor cooking. But, what I have learned from reading
>this a.m. is that high heat exposure to meat and eggs will produce the
>carcinogens. (i.e., frying in a pan at high temps or cooking in an
>oven or grilling will all produce the carcinogens if done at HIGH
>heat) Anyone here sear meat at high temp to brown it to get flavor?
>Recommendation from several sources is to pre-cook the meat for a
>period of time in the microwave before grilling. Lovely. If you
>read further among the many articles, the researcher will say
>something to the effect that there is no strong evidence that these
>particular carcinogens cause cancer among humans (results from test
>feeding large amounts to lab rats are different of course)
>Yes, meat drippings will cause smoke (kitchen or outdoors) and that
>will also produce a carcinogen.
>
>Janet US

Except for the nuking all true. Restaurants cook on high heat simply
because *Time Is Money*... and TV celebrity cooks do likewise on
cooking shows simply because of time constraints, they need to get it
all done for a half hour show. When I was still working my last boss
always wanted every job completed yesterday, my response was always
"Do you want it fast or do you want it good?".

I cook everythying with the lowest heat that gets the job done, I
don't get an hourly wage so how long it takes is of no consequence to
me. Yesterday I cooked a potroast with a medley of veggies in a rich
sauce... I started at 7 AM and it was ready to serve at 6 PM and I
worked on it all day. I used a 4 pound Top Round... browned on the
lowest heat that doesn't cause it to stew in its on juices... the
little trick I use to brown meat is to brown it while still about 75%
frozen. That method takes a lot longer but it browns well without
burning. I used a can of brewski as a braising liquid, never goes
past a LOW simmer. I added the veggies towards the end so they don't
get mushy. The only veggie I added early were three whole onions, for
me. At the end I added a 6 oz can of tomato paste, at the end so it
doesn't caramelize... brown tomato sauce looks disgusting and tastes
worse. This time I used Wondra to thicken... there's plenty for
tonight's dinner too... peasant food fit for royalty:
https://postimg.org/image/ocy80q011/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/5/2017 9:04 AM, wrote:
> This time I used Wondra to thicken... there's plenty for
> tonight's dinner too... peasant food fit for royalty:

https://postimg.org/image/ocy80q011/

I think it needs...some...PARSNIPS!

:-)

Pretty dish for sure.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 8:54:27 AM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> Have fun reading up on carcinogens and BBQ. First of all, researchers
> freely use the term BBQ when what they mean is grilling or any kind of
> approach to outdoor cooking. But, what I have learned from reading
> this a.m. is that high heat exposure to meat and eggs will produce the
> carcinogens. (i.e., frying in a pan at high temps or cooking in an
> oven or grilling will all produce the carcinogens if done at HIGH
> heat) Anyone here sear meat at high temp to brown it to get flavor?
> Recommendation from several sources is to pre-cook the meat for a
> period of time in the microwave before grilling. Lovely. If you
> read further among the many articles, the researcher will say
> something to the effect that there is no strong evidence that these
> particular carcinogens cause cancer among humans (results from test
> feeding large amounts to lab rats are different of course)
> Yes, meat drippings will cause smoke (kitchen or outdoors) and that
> will also produce a carcinogen.
>
> Janet US

Good luck. I think you'll have about as much chance of convincing Graham
that low and slow does NOT produce carcinogens as you will of convincing
Julie of anything other than what she has in her head. Throw OhFeelMe
into that pot, too, she's pretty thick as well. The evidence is out there
for him to read but he refuses to accept any explanation other than what
he's convinced himself some site told him.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 9:06:01 AM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> The county rib here can be bone or boneless. The bone is often in the
> center as they are cut from the butt. I prefer with the bone. They
> take 4 to 5 hours in the smoker.

I've been to a neighborhood market in the past looking for country style
ribs and the butcher has told me to wait a minute and he'll cut me some.
He grabbed a pork butt out of the meat case and took it and sliced it
into portions. Same stuff that's in the meat case that was already
portioned and sliced.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 5 Dec 2017 09:31:02 -0800 (PST), "
> wrote:

>On Tuesday, December 5, 2017 at 9:06:01 AM UTC-6, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> The county rib here can be bone or boneless. The bone is often in the
>> center as they are cut from the butt. I prefer with the bone. They
>> take 4 to 5 hours in the smoker.
>>

>I've been to a neighborhood market in the past looking for country style
>ribs and the butcher has told me to wait a minute and he'll cut me some.
>He grabbed a pork butt out of the meat case and took it and sliced it
>into portions. Same stuff that's in the meat case that was already
>portioned and sliced.

I've had that kind recently and I thought it was junk. I just grabbed
a package labeled country style ribs and when I got it home I
discovered it was odd shaped pieces of fatty butt. That isn't what I
used to be accustomed to getting for country style ribs. They had a
bone and were meaty.

Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/2/2017 9:57 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 9:24:14 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
>> Terry Coombs wrote:
>>>
>>> Ours was a chuck roast (seasoned with S&P , garlic and dried chopped
>>> onions) in the slow cooker with taters and carrots , gravy was made from
>>> the drippings . The wife made us a smallish green salad to go with .

>> Sounds delish! Kind of a beef stew thing?

> It's pot roast.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

LOL yes, it is. And Gary "hates" pot roast.

I hope Terry browned the chuck roast first. It creates a nice fond when
finished in a crock pot. With vegetables.

Jill

tonight's dinner Storrmmee General Cooking 10 19-10-2011 02:52 AM
Dinner tonight Ozgirl Diabetic 31 23-09-2011 05:31 AM
Dinner tonight maxine in ri General Cooking 25 18-06-2008 04:25 PM