Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dinner tonight

dsi1 wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> >
> > I make a beef stew in the crockpot after searing the meat. Sounds
> > like pretty much the same thing except for maybe cutting the beef
> > into chunks first and searing all sides (which I do).

> My pot roast looks like stew because I'll cut up the roast into chunks after it's done. I add potatoes and carrots while the roast gets cut up. The sauce gets thickened and the meat is added back to the pot. The family will call it stew. The dish is a family favorite. It doesn't matter to me what they want to call it.

No kidding. Using slow cooker blends all flavors very well. It's
a good appliance that creates some very tasty meals.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote:

> Ours was a chuck roast (seasoned with S&P , garlic and dried chopped
> onions) in the slow cooker with taters and carrots , gravy was made from
> the drippings .

Sounds good! (Boy, I should have stopped right there the first
time) :-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > Terry Coombs wrote:
> > >
> > > Ours was a chuck roast (seasoned with S&P , garlic and dried chopped
> > > onions) in the slow cooker with taters and carrots , gravy was made from
> > > the drippings . The wife made us a smallish green salad to go with .

> > Sounds delish! Kind of a beef stew thing?

> It's pot roast.

Whew! Now that the RFC wolf pack has had their feeding frenzy
over details, can we start fresh here for a minute?

I complimented Terry's meal. My only comment was that it's the
same ingredients as a beef stew which I love. And again....all
the same except I cut my beef first (and probably add a bit more
water)

Then all the anti-crockpot people showed up just assuming that
the meat was not seared and browned in a pan first before putting
it into the crockpot. Terry seared his roast first and I always
sear mine first too. Then all the anti-crockpot people claiming
that it's not real cooking and only results in unrecognizable
mush.

Good Grief! Welcome to RFC! <sigh> ;-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Dec 2017 07:09:40 -0600, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 12/2/2017 6:51 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 18:36:38 -0600, Terry Coombs >
>> wrote:

>>> * That's bullshit Janet ! If you can't tell the difference between my
>>> slow cooker (I hate that term "crock pot") pot roast with taters and
>>> carrots and my slow cooker pork loin roast Marsala with mushrooms that's
>>> your taste buds , not my slow cooker . FWIW , just about every slow
>>> cooker recipe I use has the sequential addition of ingredients .
>>>
>>> * Snag

>> check out Gary's comments above. He can't tell the difference between
>> them except one is chopped smaller than the other.
>> I wasn't aware that I was supposed to make comment on your crock
>> potting.
>> Janet US

> "Even the person doing the crock pot cooking isn't sure
>which dish is which."
> Those were your words , not Gary's - and you did agree with his opinion .
> --
> Snag

You may have the last word
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 3:33:53 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 6:12:45 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> >
> > I make a beef stew in the crockpot after searing the meat. Sounds
> > like pretty much the same thing except for maybe cutting the beef
> > into chunks first and searing all sides (which I do). I don't
> > make a gravy from dripping, I add in some thickener towards the
> > end.

> My pot roast looks like stew because I'll cut up the roast into chunks after
> it's done. I add potatoes and carrots while the roast gets cut up. The sauce
> gets thickened and the meat is added back to the pot. The family will call
> it stew. The dish is a family favorite. It doesn't matter to me what they
> want to call it.
>
> ==
>
> Do you cook those veg in the crock pot? I always need to precook them
> before I add them .. although thinking about it, I always cook on 'low'. Do
> you cook on 'high'
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

I don't typically cook potatoes and carrots or stews in a crock pot although I probably did in the past. I guess I should try one of these days. I like to cook pork butts and laulaus in those things. Today looks like it might be a good day for laulaus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbjS2QARuuI

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2017-12-02 1:28 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> > On 12/2/2017 12:20 PM, Gary wrote:

> > > No argument but sounds like the only difference between a pot
> > > roast and beef stew is whether you use the knife before or after
> > > cooking the beef.
> > >

> > Pretty much, depending on your method.Â* When we make pot roast, it
> > is a piece of meat cooked in some liquid that becomes gravy.Â*
> > Others add carrots and potatoes and that, IMO, is a stew with just
> > one big chunk of meat.
> >
> > I don't make either in a crockpot.Â* The reason is browning the
> > meat in a Dutch oven makes for better flavor.Â* As for the actual
> > cooking, they both get the job done.

> Some people claim that you can make stews in a crock pot and that you
> don't need to brown the meat first. IMO that is just plain wrong.
> You need that searing process to get good flavour out of a braised
> dish. That is the difference between an edible stew and a really good
> stew.

Hi Dave,

I think it depends on the type of meat used. I wouldnt bother with
chicken for example.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sat, 2 Dec 2017 15:06:11 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

> >> Pretty much, depending on your method.* When we make pot roast, it

> is a >> piece of meat cooked in some liquid that becomes gravy.*
> Others add >> carrots and potatoes and that, IMO, is a stew with just
> one big chunk of >> meat.
> >>
> >> I don't make either in a crockpot.* The reason is browning the

> meat in a >> Dutch oven makes for better flavor.* As for the actual
> cooking, they >> both get the job done.
> >
> > Some people claim that you can make stews in a crock pot and that
> > you don't need to brown the meat first. IMO that is just plain
> > wrong. You need that searing process to get good flavour out of a
> > braised dish. That is the difference between an edible stew and a
> > really good stew.

> Even browning the meat first a decent stew still can't be made in a
> slow cooker... it's very important to add ingredients sequentially
> according to how long they need to cook and a stew needs to be
> reseasoned several times throughout its cooking. I've tried
> following a crockpot recipe several times and at best it produced
> Dinty Moore slop but mostly it produced inedible garbage.
>
> I much prefer to cook stews/potroasts on the stove top as I'm into
> that pot countless times throughout the process... even the so-called
> 200 year old Dutch oven method in the oven produces practically
> inedible crap. There's no way to cook anything from scratch properly
> by the hit start and walk away method... hit start and walk away
> produces a **** poor example of tv dinners. A Swanson Pot Pie is a
> much better stew than any stew from a crockpot. Of couse I expect the
> TIADers (most of yoose) to disagree... post pics of your stews if you
> dare.

The fact that you never learned how to use a crockpot is well known.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> dsi1 wrote:
> > These days browning the meat before braising is optional - for me.
> > No doubt that it makes for a great smell in the house while
> > browning but it doesn't make much difference in the final dish.

> Both you and Julie have said that. I do disagree. Many years ago
> I felt the same and always put in raw meat...until I tried
> searing and browning meat first. It does make a nice difference,
> imo. Maybe you'd have to try one of each side by side.
>
> Anyway, I do brown beef before putting it in a slow cooker. And
> whatever comes out of a slow cooker is not mush and garbage food
> like some here like to say. It's very tasty stuff.
>
> Basically, the only time I use mine is to make a beef stew but
> that's rare even though I do love it. I used to like "Dinty Moore
> Beef Stew" until I made my own with seared beef chunks.
>
> That's the rare use. My main use is for making chicken
> stock/broth (using both meat and bones). It's perfect for that.
> Put in the chicken and vegetables and slow cook on low for 24
> hours. 24 hours is much better than less hours...it's gets all
> the good flavors into the liquid.

Yup!

Meantime, mine is finishing a simple carrot soup.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 12/2/2017 12:47 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> > > No argument but sounds like the only difference between a pot
> > > roast and beef stew is whether you use the knife before or after
> > > cooking the beef.

> > And there you have my opinion of crock pot cooking. Dump it and
> > forget it. Even the person doing the crock pot cooking isn't sure
> > which dish is which.
> >
> > Janet US

> Â* That's bullshit Janet ! If you can't tell the difference between
> my slow cooker (I hate that term "crock pot") pot roast with taters
> and carrots and my slow cooker pork loin roast Marsala with mushrooms
> that's your taste buds , not my slow cooker . FWIW , just about every
> slow cooker recipe I use has the sequential addition of ingredients .
>
> Â* --
>
> Â* Snag

Yup, Garlic is critical to readd as the initial fresh chopped set will
melt to butter (mild) so you add more (I use dried granulated for the
second seasoning).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 11:49:24 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> >Some people claim that you can make stews in a crock pot and that you
> >don't need to brown the meat first. IMO that is just plain wrong. You
> >need that searing process to get good flavour out of a braised dish.
> >That is the difference between an edible stew and a really good stew.

> Even browning the meat first a decent stew still can't be made in a
> slow cooker... it's very important to add ingredients sequentially
> according to how long they need to cook and a stew needs to be
> reseasoned several times throughout its cooking. I've tried
> following a crockpot recipe several times and at best it produced
> Dinty Moore slop but mostly it produced inedible garbage.
>
> I much prefer to cook stews/potroasts on the stove top as I'm into
> that pot countless times throughout the process... even the so-called
> 200 year old Dutch oven method in the oven produces practically
> inedible crap. There's no way to cook anything from scratch properly
> by the hit start and walk away method... hit start and walk away
> produces a **** poor example of tv dinners. A Swanson Pot Pie is a
> much better stew than any stew from a crockpot. Of couse I expect the
> TIADers (most of yoose) to disagree... post pics of your stews if you
> dare.

I can make stew in a crock pot and it's gonna be great. I don't even have to brown the meat. I'll post it just for you in the near future. You better have your picture ready freddy!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...WNo9aXPp44oXgM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" wrote in message news >
>
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> "Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

>>> No argument but sounds like the only difference between a pot
>>> roast and beef stew is whether you use the knife before or after
>>> cooking the beef.
>>>

>> Pretty much, depending on your method. When we make pot roast, it is a
>> piece of meat cooked in some liquid that becomes gravy. Others add
>> carrots and potatoes and that, IMO, is a stew with just one big chunk of
>> meat.
>>
>> I don't make either in a crockpot. The reason is browning the meat in a
>> Dutch oven makes for better flavor. As for the actual cooking, they both
>> get the job done.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Always brown meat before I cook it in a crockpot.

> I used to but no longer as I couldn't tell the difference. I actually
> rarely
> use the Crockpot at all now.
>
> ==
>
> We are on the farm. Shot some rabbits yesterday and they are in the slow
> cooker. Easy peasy.

You shot them?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 3:33:53 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> > "dsi1" wrote in message
> >
> > On Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 6:12:45 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> > >
> > > I make a beef stew in the crockpot after searing the meat. Sounds
> > > like pretty much the same thing except for maybe cutting the beef
> > > into chunks first and searing all sides (which I do). I don't
> > > make a gravy from dripping, I add in some thickener towards the
> > > end.

> > My pot roast looks like stew because I'll cut up the roast into
> > chunks after it's done. I add potatoes and carrots while the roast
> > gets cut up. The sauce gets thickened and the meat is added back to
> > the pot. The family will call it stew. The dish is a family
> > favorite. It doesn't matter to me what they want to call it.
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Do you cook those veg in the crock pot? I always need to precook
> > them before I add them .. although thinking about it, I always cook
> > on 'low'. Do you cook on 'high'
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> I don't typically cook potatoes and carrots or stews in a crock pot
> although I probably did in the past. I guess I should try one of
> these days. I like to cook pork butts and laulaus in those things.
> Today looks like it might be a good day for laulaus.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbjS2QARuuI

THanks! I really liked seeing the LauLaus!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 10:14:52 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbjS2QARuuI

> THanks! I really liked seeing the LauLaus!
>
> --

My wife bought laulaus from a co-worker. She charges 6 for $20. Boy, they were good. I wonder if folks on the mainland would dig laulaus. The kids might - they're into strange, exotic, foods.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Terry Coombs" > wrote in message
> news
> > On 12/1/2017 10:19 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > > Some kind of little smoked sausages from PCC, butternut ravioli
> > > and a mixed tossed salad with Craisins, black olives, pecans and
> > > Muenster cheese. Should have used a sharper cheese. Seems a bit
> > > lame considering the other ingredients. Also garlic toast. And
> > > no, I'm not eating it all. Mostly the salad with only a few
> > > Craisins and some ravioli.

> > Ours was a chuck roast (seasoned with S&P , garlic and dried
> > chopped onions) in the slow cooker with taters and carrots , gravy
> > was made from the drippings . The wife made us a smallish green
> > salad to go with .

> Sounds good!

I liked this one too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS0IUK3DOnE

It's very close to my southern BBQ pork butt.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 10:14:52 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbjS2QARuuI

> > THanks! I really liked seeing the LauLaus!
> >
> > --

> My wife bought laulaus from a co-worker. She charges 6 for $20. Boy,
> they were good. I wonder if folks on the mainland would dig laulaus.
> The kids might - they're into strange, exotic, foods.

My kid would for sure! Now where to get tea leaves here in Virginia
Beach...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 3:33:53 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 6:12:45 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> >
> > I make a beef stew in the crockpot after searing the meat. Sounds
> > like pretty much the same thing except for maybe cutting the beef
> > into chunks first and searing all sides (which I do). I don't
> > make a gravy from dripping, I add in some thickener towards the
> > end.

> My pot roast looks like stew because I'll cut up the roast into chunks
> after
> it's done. I add potatoes and carrots while the roast gets cut up. The
> sauce
> gets thickened and the meat is added back to the pot. The family will call
> it stew. The dish is a family favorite. It doesn't matter to me what they
> want to call it.
>
> ==
>
> Do you cook those veg in the crock pot? I always need to precook them
> before I add them .. although thinking about it, I always cook on 'low'.
> Do
> you cook on 'high'
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

I don't typically cook potatoes and carrots or stews in a crock pot although
I probably did in the past. I guess I should try one of these days. I like
to cook pork butts and laulaus in those things. Today looks like it might be
a good day for laulaus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbjS2QARuuI

First find your ti leaves ... )

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
news

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> "Julie Bove" wrote in message news >>
>>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> Pretty much, depending on your method. When we make pot roast, it is a
>>> piece of meat cooked in some liquid that becomes gravy. Others add
>>> carrots and potatoes and that, IMO, is a stew with just one big chunk of
>>> meat.
>>>
>>> I don't make either in a crockpot. The reason is browning the meat in a
>>> Dutch oven makes for better flavor. As for the actual cooking, they
>>> both
>>> get the job done.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Always brown meat before I cook it in a crockpot.

>> I used to but no longer as I couldn't tell the difference. I actually
>> rarely
>> use the Crockpot at all now.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> We are on the farm. Shot some rabbits yesterday and they are in the slow
>> cooker. Easy peasy.

> You shot them?

Did you think they took pictures of them? ;-)

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/3/2017 1:59 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Terry Coombs wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> And there you have my opinion of crock pot cooking. Dump it and
>>> forget it. Even the person doing the crock pot cooking isn't sure
>>> which dish is which.
>>>
>>> Janet US

>> Â* That's bullshit Janet ! If you can't tell the difference between
>> my slow cooker (I hate that term "crock pot") pot roast with taters
>> and carrots and my slow cooker pork loin roast Marsala with mushrooms
>> that's your taste buds , not my slow cooker . FWIW , just about every
>> slow cooker recipe I use has the sequential addition of ingredients .
>>
>> Â* --
>>
>> Â* Snag

> Yup, Garlic is critical to readd as the initial fresh chopped set will
> melt to butter (mild) so you add more (I use dried granulated for the
> second seasoning).

Â* I use the dried to season meats , in seasoning mixes , and for garlic
bread . Everything else I try to use fresh - but hey , when the cooking
timer has gone off and the flavor ain't there , sure I'll toss in a
little powdered . We eat quite a bit , the turnover lets me buy it by
the pound ... when I don't have home grown . And it's time to plant some
more .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 2:36:42 PM UTC-6, cshenk wrote:

> I liked this one too!
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS0IUK3DOnE
>
> It's very close to my southern BBQ pork butt.

Did I miss something on this video?? She barely sprinkled
salt on it, then said that was a couple of tablespoons.
Then she used two capfuls of liquid smoke and said that was
a tablespoon, which was barely a teaspoon if that. Then she
cooked it overnight. It looked to be very bland to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 3 Dec 2017 12:29:36 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 10:14:52 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbjS2QARuuI

>> THanks! I really liked seeing the LauLaus!
>>
>> --

>My wife bought laulaus from a co-worker. She charges 6 for $20. Boy, they were good. I wonder if folks on the mainland would dig laulaus. The kids might - they're into strange, exotic, foods.

When you say 'kids', you mean 40 year olds, right?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 03 Dec 2017 08:34:47 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Gary wrote:

>> > Sounds delish! Kind of a beef stew thing?

>> It's pot roast.

>Whew! Now that the RFC wolf pack has had their feeding frenzy
>over details, can we start fresh here for a minute?

The only difference between the wolf pack and you is that you always
say that you were only joking after you've finished bitching.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/3/2017 7:34 AM, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> Gary wrote:
>>> Sounds delish! Kind of a beef stew thing?

>> It's pot roast.

> Whew! Now that the RFC wolf pack has had their feeding frenzy
> over details, can we start fresh here for a minute?
>
> I complimented Terry's meal. My only comment was that it's the
> same ingredients as a beef stew which I love. And again....all
> the same except I cut my beef first (and probably add a bit more
> water)
>
> Then all the anti-crockpot people showed up just assuming that
> the meat was not seared and browned in a pan first before putting
> it into the crockpot. Terry seared his roast first and I always
> sear mine first too. Then all the anti-crockpot people claiming
> that it's not real cooking and only results in unrecognizable
> mush.
>
> Good Grief! Welcome to RFC! <sigh> ;-D

Â* When I first dipped my toes into the cesspool that is usenet , a wise
soul advised me to "grow a carapace" . So I did . Actually I find the
frenzy somewhat amusing . And I'm not about to change my cooking style ,
*WE* like what I cook , and that's all that matters .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/3/2017 7:45 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Sun, 03 Dec 2017 08:34:47 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>> It's pot roast.

>> Whew! Now that the RFC wolf pack has had their feeding frenzy
>> over details, can we start fresh here for a minute?

> The only difference between the wolf pack and you is that you always
> say that you were only joking after you've finished bitching.

Â* Wolf pack ? Sounded more like a pack of coyotes to me ...

Â* --

Â* SnagÂ* <bseg>

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Terry Coombs wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 12/3/2017 1:59 PM, cshenk wrote:
> > Terry Coombs wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >> Â* That's bullshit Janet ! If you can't tell the difference between
> > > my slow cooker (I hate that term "crock pot") pot roast with
> > > taters and carrots and my slow cooker pork loin roast Marsala
> > > with mushrooms that's your taste buds , not my slow cooker . FWIW
> > > , just about every slow cooker recipe I use has the sequential
> > > addition of ingredients .
> > >
> >> Â* --
> > >
> >> Â* Snag

> > Yup, Garlic is critical to readd as the initial fresh chopped set
> > will melt to butter (mild) so you add more (I use dried granulated
> > for the second seasoning).
> >

> Â* I use the dried to season meats , in seasoning mixes , and for
> garlic bread . Everything else I try to use fresh - but hey , when
> the cooking timer has gone off and the flavor ain't there , sure I'll
> toss in a little powdered . We eat quite a bit , the turnover lets me
> buy it by the pound ... when I don't have home grown . And it's time
> to plant some more .
>
> Â* --
>
> Â* Snag

My friend Susan uses a lot more garlic than I do. Then again, she's
generally feeding 9-13 folks at a shot. She gets it by the lb but we do
a split pretty often.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 2:36:42 PM UTC-6, cshenk wrote:
> >
> > I liked this one too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS0IUK3DOnE

> > It's very close to my southern BBQ pork butt.
> >

> Did I miss something on this video?? She barely sprinkled
> salt on it, then said that was a couple of tablespoons.
> Then she used two capfuls of liquid smoke and said that was
> a tablespoon, which was barely a teaspoon if that. Then she
> cooked it overnight. It looked to be very bland to me.

I noticed that too. Anyway, the end looked much like a pulled pork I
do.

Mine uses a bit of vinegar (cane sweet or spiced), bit of soy sauce and
worstershire at the start but not much.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 8:18:20 PM UTC-6, cshenk wrote:
> wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 2:36:42 PM UTC-6, cshenk wrote:
> > >
> > > I liked this one too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS0IUK3DOnE

> > > It's very close to my southern BBQ pork butt.
> > >

> > Did I miss something on this video?? She barely sprinkled
> > salt on it, then said that was a couple of tablespoons.
> > Then she used two capfuls of liquid smoke and said that was
> > a tablespoon, which was barely a teaspoon if that. Then she
> > cooked it overnight. It looked to be very bland to me.

> I noticed that too. Anyway, the end looked much like a pulled pork I
> do.
>
> Mine uses a bit of vinegar (cane sweet or spiced), bit of soy sauce and
> worstershire at the start but not much.

A few weeks ago on ATK or it could have Cooks Country Bridget and Julia
did a couple of slabs of ribs in the crockpot. They used a regular
rub like you would if you were to traditionally smoke them. They
were placed standing up, lining the inside of the vessel and NO water
added. After 8 or 10 hours they took them out to dry out a bit then
in something like a 450° oven for a few minute for a slight crust.
They used the defatted liquid the ribs had given off to make their
homemade barbecue sauce which they painted on the ribs. Back in the
oven for a few minutes until there was an ever so slight char on them.

I want to try this with some country style spare ribs to see how well
they turn out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Coombs" > wrote in message
news
> Â When I first dipped my toes into the cesspool that is usenet , a wise
> soul advised me to "grow a carapace" . So I did . Actually I find the
> frenzy somewhat amusing . And I'm not about to change my cooking style ,
> *WE* like what I cook , and that's all that matters .

For sure that's all that matters!

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 11:30:44 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> My kid would for sure! Now where to get tea leaves here in Virginia
> Beach...
>
> --

Hopefully you can get tea leaves on the mainland. Ti leaves might be a problem. Taro leaves would be a big problem too. Beats me why that would be the case. Taro should be able to grow on the mainland. OTOH, I don't know nuttin about plantin' and growin'.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 02:47:51 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 11:30:44 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>>
>> My kid would for sure! Now where to get tea leaves here in Virginia
>> Beach...
>>
>> --

>Hopefully you can get tea leaves on the mainland. Ti leaves might be a problem. Taro leaves would be a big problem too.

Man, I can get taro leaves in Whoop-Whoop, Australia.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 6:18:18 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 02:47:51 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
> >On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 11:30:44 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> >>
> >> My kid would for sure! Now where to get tea leaves here in Virginia
> >> Beach...
> >>
> >> --

> >Hopefully you can get tea leaves on the mainland. Ti leaves might be a problem. Taro leaves would be a big problem too.

> Man, I can get taro leaves in Whoop-Whoop, Australia.

Not much demand for it here. I probably could find some banana leaves,
though, in the Latin American market.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 03:22:37 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 6:18:18 AM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 02:47:51 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>> >Hopefully you can get tea leaves on the mainland. Ti leaves might be a problem. Taro leaves would be a big problem too.

>> Man, I can get taro leaves in Whoop-Whoop, Australia.

>Not much demand for it here.

Same here, but they were frozen, so they could wait for that one
customer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/3/2017 5:48 PM, wrote:
> On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 2:36:42 PM UTC-6, cshenk wrote:
>> I liked this one too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS0IUK3DOnE

>> It's very close to my southern BBQ pork butt.
>>

> Did I miss something on this video?? She barely sprinkled
> salt on it, then said that was a couple of tablespoons.
> Then she used two capfuls of liquid smoke and said that was
> a tablespoon, which was barely a teaspoon if that. Then she
> cooked it overnight. It looked to be very bland to me.

Â* I couldn't watch . Pork butts should never be subjected to the
humiliation of being "barbecued"Â* in a slow cooker - it's fine to cook
one in a slow cooker , but that ain't barbecue . Pork butts should
always be coated with a spiced dry rub and smoked low and slow until the
bone comes out easily when tugged on . Cherry , mesquite , or apple wood
added to the charcoal is a bonus . Mine usually go 18-20 hours @ 180° to
195° .

Â* --

Â* Snag

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Saturday, December 2, 2017 at 11:49:24 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> >Some people claim that you can make stews in a crock pot and that you
> >don't need to brown the meat first. IMO that is just plain wrong. You
> >need that searing process to get good flavour out of a braised dish.
> >That is the difference between an edible stew and a really good stew.

> Even browning the meat first a decent stew still can't be made in a
> slow cooker... it's very important to add ingredients sequentially
> according to how long they need to cook and a stew needs to be
> reseasoned several times throughout its cooking. I've tried
> following a crockpot recipe several times and at best it produced
> Dinty Moore slop but mostly it produced inedible garbage.
>
> I much prefer to cook stews/potroasts on the stove top as I'm into
> that pot countless times throughout the process... even the so-called
> 200 year old Dutch oven method in the oven produces practically
> inedible crap. There's no way to cook anything from scratch properly
> by the hit start and walk away method... hit start and walk away
> produces a **** poor example of tv dinners. A Swanson Pot Pie is a
> much better stew than any stew from a crockpot. Of couse I expect the
> TIADers (most of yoose) to disagree... post pics of your stews if you
> dare.

I can make stew in a crock pot and it's gonna be great. I don't even have to
brown the meat. I'll post it just for you in the near future. You better
have your picture ready freddy!

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...WNo9aXPp44oXgM

==

Looks jolly good to me)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" wrote in message news >
>
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> "Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message ...

>>> No argument but sounds like the only difference between a pot
>>> roast and beef stew is whether you use the knife before or after
>>> cooking the beef.
>>>

>> Pretty much, depending on your method. When we make pot roast, it is a
>> piece of meat cooked in some liquid that becomes gravy. Others add
>> carrots and potatoes and that, IMO, is a stew with just one big chunk of
>> meat.
>>
>> I don't make either in a crockpot. The reason is browning the meat in a
>> Dutch oven makes for better flavor. As for the actual cooking, they both
>> get the job done.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Always brown meat before I cook it in a crockpot.

> I used to but no longer as I couldn't tell the difference. I actually
> rarely
> use the Crockpot at all now.
>
> ==
>
> We are on the farm. Shot some rabbits yesterday and they are in the slow
> cooker. Easy peasy.

You shot them?

==

Errr nooo I teased them with a bit of lettuce and they jumped into the pot
<g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
news

> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> "Julie Bove" wrote in message news >>
>>
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message

>>> Pretty much, depending on your method. When we make pot roast, it is a
>>> piece of meat cooked in some liquid that becomes gravy. Others add
>>> carrots and potatoes and that, IMO, is a stew with just one big chunk of
>>> meat.
>>>
>>> I don't make either in a crockpot. The reason is browning the meat in a
>>> Dutch oven makes for better flavor. As for the actual cooking, they
>>> both
>>> get the job done.
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Always brown meat before I cook it in a crockpot.

>> I used to but no longer as I couldn't tell the difference. I actually
>> rarely
>> use the Crockpot at all now.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> We are on the farm. Shot some rabbits yesterday and they are in the slow
>> cooker. Easy peasy.

> You shot them?

Did you think they took pictures of them? ;-)

Cheri

==

The farm we stay on has a lot of rabbits and they destroy crops. We like to
help when we are down. Not too many this time because someone had been on
there lamping.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 10:14:52 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbjS2QARuuI

> THanks! I really liked seeing the LauLaus!
>
> --

My wife bought laulaus from a co-worker. She charges 6 for $20. Boy, they
were good. I wonder if folks on the mainland would dig laulaus. The kids
might - they're into strange, exotic, foods.

==

i haven't had a chance to see the whole vid yet. We have been travelling
back up. Just having a rest atm)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, December 4, 2017 at 8:06:08 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
> On 12/3/2017 5:48 PM, wrote:
> > On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 2:36:42 PM UTC-6, cshenk wrote:
> >> I liked this one too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS0IUK3DOnE

> >> It's very close to my southern BBQ pork butt.
> >>

> > Did I miss something on this video?? She barely sprinkled
> > salt on it, then said that was a couple of tablespoons.
> > Then she used two capfuls of liquid smoke and said that was
> > a tablespoon, which was barely a teaspoon if that. Then she
> > cooked it overnight. It looked to be very bland to me.
> >

> Â* I couldn't watch . Pork butts should never be subjected to the
> humiliation of being "barbecued"Â* in a slow cooker - it's fine to cook
> one in a slow cooker , but that ain't barbecue . Pork butts should
> always be coated with a spiced dry rub and smoked low and slow until the
> bone comes out easily when tugged on . Cherry , mesquite , or apple wood
> added to the charcoal is a bonus . Mine usually go 18-20 hours @ 180° to
> 195° .

I have no intrinsic objection to cooking pork butt in an oven or slow
cooker. Pork pot roast is a fine thing.

But don't call it barbecue.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Terry Coombs" > wrote in message
news
> Â When I first dipped my toes into the cesspool that is usenet , a wise
> soul advised me to "grow a carapace" . So I did . Actually I find the
> frenzy somewhat amusing . And I'm not about to change my cooking style ,
> *WE* like what I cook , and that's all that matters .

For sure that's all that matters!

Cheri

==

Yep, same here)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 14:09:05 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Julie Bove" wrote in message news >
>
>"Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> "Julie Bove" wrote in message news >>

snip

>> We are on the farm. Shot some rabbits yesterday and they are in the slow
>> cooker. Easy peasy.

>You shot them?
>
>==
>
>Errr nooo I teased them with a bit of lettuce and they jumped into the pot
><g>

That has always been my preferred method :-)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 4 Dec 2017 07:07:02 -0600, Terry Coombs >
wrote:

>On 12/3/2017 5:48 PM, wrote:
>> On Sunday, December 3, 2017 at 2:36:42 PM UTC-6, cshenk wrote:
>>> I liked this one too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS0IUK3DOnE

>>> It's very close to my southern BBQ pork butt.
>>>

>> Did I miss something on this video?? She barely sprinkled
>> salt on it, then said that was a couple of tablespoons.
>> Then she used two capfuls of liquid smoke and said that was
>> a tablespoon, which was barely a teaspoon if that. Then she
>> cooked it overnight. It looked to be very bland to me.
>>

> * I couldn't watch . Pork butts should never be subjected to the
>humiliation of being "barbecued"* in a slow cooker - it's fine to cook
>one in a slow cooker , but that ain't barbecue . Pork butts should
>always be coated with a spiced dry rub and smoked low and slow until the
>bone comes out easily when tugged on . Cherry , mesquite , or apple wood
>added to the charcoal is a bonus . Mine usually go 18-20 hours @ 180° to
>195° .
>
> * --
>
> * Snag

Your post made me smile. It seems you have a strong opinion about a
cooking approach to a particular item. I do agree with you but just
got a smile.
Janet US

tonight's dinner Storrmmee General Cooking 10 19-10-2011 02:52 AM
Dinner tonight Ozgirl Diabetic 31 23-09-2011 05:31 AM
Dinner tonight maxine in ri General Cooking 25 18-06-2008 04:25 PM