Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Regarding Turkey Soup or . . .

I couldn't sleep last night so was watching Chopped at 3 a.m. This
was a competition among the network top chefs. They were dealing with
turkey leftovers. The one that caught my eye was a turkey soup that I
think I could live with. The chef added spicy sausage to the usual
soup fixings. Doesn't that sound like that would overcome that heavy
turkey essence that dominates turkey soup? Use whatever spicy sausage
that you like best. It would add a little bite and interest. I might
even be tempted to get one of those ultra cheap turkeys at Costco the
day after Thanksgiving to try it out.
What do you think. Some andouille, maybe, chorizo might be too heavy
because of the fat unless you used the Spanish version.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> I couldn't sleep last night so was watching Chopped at 3 a.m. This
> was a competition among the network top chefs. They were dealing with
> turkey leftovers. The one that caught my eye was a turkey soup that I
> think I could live with. The chef added spicy sausage to the usual
> soup fixings. Doesn't that sound like that would overcome that heavy
> turkey essence that dominates turkey soup?

I would trust and try it. Turkey broth and meat is much stronger
tasting than chicken. The sausage might be a decent "equal" in
taste.

I'm debating whether to buy a turkey next week. $0.48 per pound
if I buy another $25 worth of groceries which is so easy to do.
I do like the carcass for turkey broth. I even like the meal but
I'll be alone and don't want to cook all of "the works." I do
love stuffing cooked in the bird though. Anyway, I do freeze all
the leftovers for many good meals down the road....I don't just
sit here and eat turkey sandwiches for the next week. (I do like
a few of them though).

I plan to post a very good leftover turkey meal recipe this
weekend. It's good eats.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2017 12:09 PM, Gary wrote:
> "U.S. Janet B." wrote:
>>
>> I couldn't sleep last night so was watching Chopped at 3 a.m. This
>> was a competition among the network top chefs. They were dealing with
>> turkey leftovers. The one that caught my eye was a turkey soup that I
>> think I could live with. The chef added spicy sausage to the usual
>> soup fixings. Doesn't that sound like that would overcome that heavy
>> turkey essence that dominates turkey soup?

> I would trust and try it. Turkey broth and meat is much stronger
> tasting than chicken. The sausage might be a decent "equal" in
> taste.
>
> I'm debating whether to buy a turkey next week. $0.48 per pound
> if I buy another $25 worth of groceries which is so easy to do.
> I do like the carcass for turkey broth. I even like the meal but
> I'll be alone and don't want to cook all of "the works." I do
> love stuffing cooked in the bird though. Anyway, I do freeze all
> the leftovers for many good meals down the road....I don't just
> sit here and eat turkey sandwiches for the next week. (I do like
> a few of them though).
>
> I plan to post a very good leftover turkey meal recipe this
> weekend. It's good eats.

Recommendation - 1 turkey breast.

Debone it.

Butterfly out.

Apply a very moist stuffing like a paste.

Roll up, tie with twine.

Presto!

Turkey 'porchetta'.

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ab-recipe.html

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/po...-turkey-breast
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 17 Nov 2017 14:09:04 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote:
>>
>> I couldn't sleep last night so was watching Chopped at 3 a.m. This
>> was a competition among the network top chefs. They were dealing with
>> turkey leftovers. The one that caught my eye was a turkey soup that I
>> think I could live with. The chef added spicy sausage to the usual
>> soup fixings. Doesn't that sound like that would overcome that heavy
>> turkey essence that dominates turkey soup?

>I would trust and try it. Turkey broth and meat is much stronger
>tasting than chicken. The sausage might be a decent "equal" in
>taste.
>
>I'm debating whether to buy a turkey next week. $0.48 per pound
>if I buy another $25 worth of groceries which is so easy to do.
>I do like the carcass for turkey broth. I even like the meal but
>I'll be alone and don't want to cook all of "the works." I do
>love stuffing cooked in the bird though. Anyway, I do freeze all
>the leftovers for many good meals down the road....I don't just
>sit here and eat turkey sandwiches for the next week. (I do like
>a few of them though).
>
>I plan to post a very good leftover turkey meal recipe this
>weekend. It's good eats.

Why are you all alone when you can have a couple of feretts
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message

> I couldn't sleep last night so was watching Chopped at 3 a.m. This
> was a competition among the network top chefs. They were dealing with
> turkey leftovers. The one that caught my eye was a turkey soup that I
> think I could live with. The chef added spicy sausage to the usual
> soup fixings. Doesn't that sound like that would overcome that heavy
> turkey essence that dominates turkey soup? Use whatever spicy sausage
> that you like best. It would add a little bite and interest. I might
> even be tempted to get one of those ultra cheap turkeys at Costco the
> day after Thanksgiving to try it out.
> What do you think. Some andouille, maybe, chorizo might be too heavy
> because of the fat unless you used the Spanish version.
> Janet US

I had turkey enchiladas at a potluck. Of course I would have preferred
cheese or beef but they were okay.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2017 1:57 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
>>
>> I couldn't sleep last night so was watching Chopped at 3 a.m.Â* This
>> was a competition among the network top chefs.Â* They were dealing with
>> turkey leftovers.Â* The one that caught my eye was a turkey soup that I
>> think I could live with.Â* The chef added spicy sausage to the usual
>> soup fixings.Â* Doesn't that sound like that would overcome that heavy
>> turkey essence that dominates turkey soup?Â* Use whatever spicy sausage
>> that you like best.Â* It would add a little bite and interest.Â* I might
>> even be tempted to get one of those ultra cheap turkeys at Costco the
>> day after Thanksgiving to try it out.
>> What do you think.Â* Some andouille, maybe, chorizo might be too heavy
>> because of the fat unless you used the Spanish version.
>> Janet US

> I had turkey enchiladas at a potluck. Of course I would have preferred
> cheese or beef but they were okay.

If they're smoked with Pecan wood the entire party changes.