Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Plating Food (WAS: What do you eat with salmon?)

wrote:

>>> Golly, gee, Sheldon, we aren't talking about "garnish." Garnish is
>>> frowned upon even by chefs. What you put on the plate must and should
>>> be able to be eaten.
>>> Janet US

>> Hence - orchids!

> A proper garnish is edible.. aint'cha ever ate the olive from yer 2ni?

I am a maraschino cherry guy, thank you very much!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Hence - orchids!

>> A proper garnish is edible.. aint'cha ever ate the olive from yer 2ni?
>>

>I am a maraschino cherry guy, thank you very much!

You've never tasted a Manhattan, and for certain you've never been to
Manhattan.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What do you eat with salmon?

On 2017-11-18, graham > wrote:

> I saw an H F-W program where he took his pupils to an abattoir to see a
> couple of his sheep being slaughtered. You saw the whole process. I
> doubt that would happen on N.Am TV.

I saw some TV program in the 80s --'N.Am TV'-- that showed two solid
hours of a trip through a cattle slaughter house. Don't know if it was
PBS, or what, but it was definitely graphic and it was definitely
shown on my home TV.

Hey, we had nothing else.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 11/17/2017 9:21 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Do you know what I got at Fred Meyers? A few cans of P$$$t green beans
>> labeled assorted cuts. Those things were anything but organized, let me
>> tell ya. They should have formed a union years ago. Seriously. Long ones,
>> short cuts but thankfully no French. They were darned hard to eat. I took
>> my kitchen shears to the last can, trying to make them all small and
>> added them to soup. At least they were cheap!

> Will there ever come a time when you don't complain about something?
> "Darned hard to eat". That gets old.

Oh sure Jill. Snip the part I replied to. And *you* are complaining about
what I posted. Whiner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 11/18/2017 1:24 PM, wrote:
>> On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 10:44:46 -0500, jmcquown >
>> wrote:

>>> I've got time but I don't spend most of it taking pics of what I've
>>> cooked.

>> Takes UNDER FIVE SECONDS to snap a pic. The difficult part is to
>> remember before you finish eating... I often forget too...
>> occasionally I've posted a pic of the left overs the next day and just
>> don't say.
>>
>>> I'd really rather just cook and eat it. But if I *am* going to
>>> take a pic, I do tend to try to make it look good. Therefore,
>>> "presentation".
>>>
>>> I don't do that sort of thing when I'm not going to take a picture. I
>>> don't run out and buy fresh herbs or a lemon to show sliced next to
>>> whatever. I'm cooking for myself.
>>> No need to garnish the plate.

>> True... just place your wine glass in the pic. lol
>> I don't usually garnish for rfc pics, only time I garnish is for
>> company, and not always. However it's not all that difficult to
>> arrange food attractively rather than toss it on a plate haphazardly.

> Agreed about that. Still, I don't "arrange" it.
>
>> Jill, don't you have a box of those oriental paper umbrellas, you
>> must... that's garnish aplenty... and they're reusable unless it's an
>> outdoor event and it rains.
>>

> Oriental paper umbrellas?! Why on earth would I have those?

Why wouldn't you? I have some. Also little frilly toothpicks and plastic
swords.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 12:13:25 -0700, casa chevrolet >
> wrote:

>>> Golly, gee, Sheldon, we aren't talking about "garnish." Garnish is
>>> frowned upon even by chefs. What you put on the plate must and should
>>> be able to be eaten.
>>> Janet US

>>Hence - orchids!

> A proper garnish is edible.. aint'cha ever ate the olive from yer 2ni?

I am not sure I want to know where that olive was!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-11-19, Janet > wrote:

> If I had my way, everyone like me who eats meat, eggs, dairy should
> know and care exactly where and how their food was produced, bred,
> raised, housed, fed and slaughtered; and shop and eat accordingly.

Agree!

OTOH, I'd like to address the original subject, What do you eat with
salmon?

My fave accompaniment to salmon is asparagus. It's practically a
fated deal! Salmon/asparagus quiche, en papillote, salmon w/
asparagus sauce:

<https://greatchefs.com/recipes/salmon-with-asparagus-sauce/>

Worth every second of prep! Bring yer own heart doctor.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> news
> > On 11/18/2017 1:24 PM, wrote:

> >> Takes UNDER FIVE SECONDS to snap a pic. The difficult part is to
> >> remember before you finish eating... I often forget too...
> >> occasionally I've posted a pic of the left overs the next day and just
> >> don't say.

> >> True... just place your wine glass in the pic. lol
> >> I don't usually garnish for rfc pics, only time I garnish is for
> >> company, and not always. However it's not all that difficult to
> >> arrange food attractively rather than toss it on a plate haphazardly.

> > Agreed about that. Still, I don't "arrange" it.
> >
> >> Jill, don't you have a box of those oriental paper umbrellas, you
> >> must... that's garnish aplenty... and they're reusable unless it's an
> >> outdoor event and it rains.
> >>

> > Oriental paper umbrellas?! Why on earth would I have those?

> Why wouldn't you? I have some. Also little frilly toothpicks and plastic
> swords.

OK dammit. IMO...if your meal needs some little gimmicks and
fancy presentation to make it worthwhile, perhaps you need to
learn to cook better and let the food stand (and be judged) on
it's own.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> A proper garnish is edible.. aint'cha ever ate the olive from yer 2ni?
>>>

>> I am a maraschino cherry guy, thank you very much!

> You've never tasted a Manhattan, and for certain you've never been to
> Manhattan.

Golly, wrong on BOTH counts!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg

> Hide the Ho Ho's!!!!!!!!!!
>
> - sw
> Do not let "Oscar" near your food. He was obliviously digging
> boogers out of his nose with his thumb at the end of the check-stand
> while bagging groceries. Fortunately he was bagging the customer
> next to me, not mine. Otherwise I would have made a stink about it
> right then, and with no mercy.
>
> Note - it has been one month since I visited Sprouts and wrote this

review (Grand Opening weekend, IIRC) as well as writing to corporate
about my experience (Oscar + overcharges). Sprouts has never responded
or offered a refund. They'll probably complain about this review, though.

> They get 1 star for nose-picking while touching customer food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > Agreed about that. Still, I don't "arrange" it.

>> > Oriental paper umbrellas?! Why on earth would I have those?

>> Why wouldn't you? I have some. Also little frilly toothpicks and plastic
>> swords.

> OK dammit. IMO...if your meal needs some little gimmicks and
> fancy presentation to make it worthwhile, perhaps you need to
> learn to cook better and let the food stand (and be judged) on
> it's own.

It doesn't. But sometimes I have something like a really tall sandwich or
burger and if you don't stick something through it, it will come apart while
trying to carry the plate. Other times I use these things to annoy people.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" wrote in message news

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> news

>> > Agreed about that. Still, I don't "arrange" it.

>> > Oriental paper umbrellas?! Why on earth would I have those?

>> Why wouldn't you? I have some. Also little frilly toothpicks and plastic
>> swords.

> OK dammit. IMO...if your meal needs some little gimmicks and
> fancy presentation to make it worthwhile, perhaps you need to
> learn to cook better and let the food stand (and be judged) on
> it's own.

It doesn't. But sometimes I have something like a really tall sandwich or
burger and if you don't stick something through it, it will come apart while
trying to carry the plate. Other times I use these things to annoy people.
==

lol

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/19/2017 4:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>> Why wouldn't you? I have some. Also little frilly toothpicks and plastic
>>> swords.

Gary, she was asking why *I* don't use them, after Sheldon mad some
snarky remark.

>> OK dammit. IMO...if your meal needs some little gimmicks and
>> fancy presentation to make it worthwhile, perhaps you need to
>> learn to cook better and let the food stand (and be judged) on
>> it's own.

> It doesn't.

Hmmm. It doesn't. "But sometimes I have something like a really tall
sandwich or burger and if you don't stick something through it, it will
come apart while trying to carry the plate. Other times I use these
things to annoy people."

My impression has always been she doesn't like hamburgers. I can't
quite believe she'd cook burgers that were fancy and thick enough to
require a fancy tooth pick through the top. Seems like that's the last
thing she'd cook.

She is right about one thing. Those huge stacked sandwiches are hard to
handle. I don't prepare or eat anything like them. Never anything that
requires decorative tooth picks to hold it together, either.

She (and Sheldon) wondered why I don't have little paper umbrellas and
frilly tooth picks. What?! Why would I, indeed.

Jill
Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/21/2017 1:00 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> She (and Sheldon) wondered why I don't have little paper umbrellas and
> frilly tooth picks.Â* What?!Â* Why would I, indeed.
>
> Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/21/2017 2:33 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On 11/21/2017 12:29 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> Oriental paper umbrellas?!Â* Why on earth would I have those?
>>>
>>> Jill

>> Later replies from Julie icluded "Why wouldn't you?Â* I have some. Also
>> little frilly toothpicks and plastic swords".Â* Oh good for you.
>>
>> Sure sounds like you and Sheldon are stuck in the 1980's with those
>> paper umbrellas and fancy frilly tooth picks.Â* I'm not decorating
>> using plastic crap I bought at the dollar store.Â* It has nothing to do
>> with plating food attractively.
>>
>> Jill

> Plate this!
>

> Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* .-'''''-.
> Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |'-----'|
> Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* /`-.....-`\
> Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* | <_}Â*Â*Â*Â* |
> Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* |Â* .-\-.Â* |
> Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* _,._Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* | /# SW \ |
> Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* __.-`Â*Â*Â* `"""-.Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* | \Â*Â*Â*Â* / |
> Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* ..--'Â*Â* `"-.Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* `)_,._Â*Â* \Â* '-'-'Â* /
> Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* (`Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* )--.-"```Â*Â*Â*Â* `"-.`'-----'`
> Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* '-----------'Â* (Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* )
> Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* `-------------`

Eat these.
_
/\) _
_ / / (/\
/\) ( Y) \ \
/ / "" (Y )
( Y) _ ""
"" (/\ _
\ \ /\)
(Y ) / /
"" ( Y)
""
--

My mental health professional has directed me to apologize to this
group at large and to Marty and Steven in specific for acting out
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 11/19/2017 4:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Gary, she was asking why *I* don't use them, after Sheldon mad some snarky
> remark.
>
>>> OK dammit. IMO...if your meal needs some little gimmicks and
>>> fancy presentation to make it worthwhile, perhaps you need to
>>> learn to cook better and let the food stand (and be judged) on
>>> it's own.

>> It doesn't.

> Hmmm. It doesn't. "But sometimes I have something like a really tall
> sandwich or burger and if you don't stick something through it, it will
> come apart while trying to carry the plate. Other times I use these things
> to annoy people."
>
> My impression has always been she doesn't like hamburgers. I can't quite
> believe she'd cook burgers that were fancy and thick enough to require a
> fancy tooth pick through the top. Seems like that's the last thing she'd
> cook.

I don't have to like something to cook it! I've been told that my burgers
are really good. I use grass fed, oraganic beef and thick, large patties.
Add cheese, onion, tomato and lettuce and it's pretty tall.