Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sous vide users

Please join in. It would be interesting to hear how others' use it

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/16/2017 9:19 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> Please join in.Â* It would be interesting to hear how others' use it

Brisket so tender it defies even the depredations of what would have
been a long smoke with lots of apple juice moisture can changes.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/f...q-brisket.html

Is it better to apply that smoke before or after cooking sous vide?
Well, according to folks like Meathead Goldwyn, author of the eponymous
book on the science of barbecue, the flavorful compounds in smoke will
adhere to and penetrate raw meat much better than they will with cooked
meat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 8:19:42 AM UTC-8, Ophelia wrote:
> Please join in. It would be interesting to hear how others' use it
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Recently I did one of my "rounds" where I go to several different stores and check out the "used meat bin" on one day. Bring home my haul, which is usually pretty wonderful, portion out the different cuts and vacuum seal them and then do a marathon sous vide for a few days.

This gives me a selection of sous vide completed cuts of meat in the freezer and all I have to do is thaw one out, sear it and ta da....dinner.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"casa chevrolet" wrote in message news
On 11/16/2017 9:19 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> Please join in. It would be interesting to hear how others' use it

Brisket so tender it defies even the depredations of what would have
been a long smoke with lots of apple juice moisture can changes.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/f...q-brisket.html

Is it better to apply that smoke before or after cooking sous vide?
Well, according to folks like Meathead Goldwyn, author of the eponymous
book on the science of barbecue, the flavorful compounds in smoke will
adhere to and penetrate raw meat much better than they will with cooked
meat.

==

I never smoke meat so you will need to ask a US sous vide user

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" wrote in message

On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 8:19:42 AM UTC-8, Ophelia wrote:
> Please join in. It would be interesting to hear how others' use it
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Recently I did one of my "rounds" where I go to several different stores and
check out the "used meat bin" on one day. Bring home my haul, which is
usually pretty wonderful, portion out the different cuts and vacuum seal
them and then do a marathon sous vide for a few days.

This gives me a selection of sous vide completed cuts of meat in the freezer
and all I have to do is thaw one out, sear it and ta da....dinner.

===

Yayyyyyy I hoped you would pop up) You still enjoying it, yes? )

Can you answer Casa's query about smoking and sous vide?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 11:19:42 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> Please join in. It would be interesting to hear how others' use it

I'm hoping to become a sous vide user after Santa visits my
house. Thanks for starting this thread.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/16/2017 12:16 PM, casa chevrolet wrote:
> On 11/16/2017 9:19 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> Please join in.Â* It would be interesting to hear how others' use it
>>

> Brisket so tender it defies even the depredations of what would have
> been a long smoke with lots of apple juice moisture can changes.
>

> http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/f...q-brisket.html
>

> Is it better to apply that smoke before or after cooking sous vide?
> Well, according to folks like Meathead Goldwyn, author of the eponymous
> book on the science of barbecue, the flavorful compounds in smoke will
> adhere to and penetrate raw meat much better than they will with cooked
> meat.

There was a lot of experimenting done a dozen or so years back with a
lot of us on the old barbecue email list. Raw meat will accept the
smoke penetration to about 140 degrees. Cooler is better.

I don't profess to know about souos vide, but I'd smoke it first, even
cold smoking would work.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/16/2017 10:40 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "casa chevrolet"Â* wrote in message news >
> On 11/16/2017 9:19 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>> Please join in.Â* It would be interesting to hear how others' use it
>>

> Brisket so tender it defies even the depredations of what would have
> been a long smoke with lots of apple juice moisture can changes.
>

> http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/f...q-brisket.html
>

> Is it better to apply that smoke before or after cooking sous vide?
> Well, according to folks like Meathead Goldwyn, author of the eponymous
> book on the science of barbecue, the flavorful compounds in smoke will
> adhere to and penetrate raw meat much better than they will with cooked
> meat.
>
> ==
>
> I never smoke meat so you will need to ask a US sous vide user

Which is me and I like to do about a 90 minute smoke then off to cool
and vacuum pack - followed by 6-8 hrs. sous vide.

You just can not beat the retained moisture and tenderness.

Magic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/16/2017 11:52 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 11/16/2017 12:16 PM, casa chevrolet wrote:
>> On 11/16/2017 9:19 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> Please join in.Â* It would be interesting to hear how others' use it
>>>

>> Brisket so tender it defies even the depredations of what would have
>> been a long smoke with lots of apple juice moisture can changes.
>>

>> http://www.seriouseats.com/2016/08/f...q-brisket.html
>>

>> Is it better to apply that smoke before or after cooking sous vide?
>> Well, according to folks like Meathead Goldwyn, author of the
>> eponymous book on the science of barbecue, the flavorful compounds in
>> smoke will adhere to and penetrate raw meat much better than they will
>> with cooked meat.
>>

> There was a lot of experimenting done a dozen or so years back with a
> lot of us on the old barbecue email list.Â* Raw meat will accept the
> smoke penetration to about 140 degrees.Â* Cooler is better.
>
> I don't profess to know about souos vide, but I'd smoke it first, even
> cold smoking would work.

You nailed it Ed.

90 minutes of smoke, then vacu-seal pack, off to sous vide for 8 hrs.

I need to see if just liquid smoke will be a decent substitute.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message

On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 11:19:42 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> Please join in. It would be interesting to hear how others' use it

I'm hoping to become a sous vide user after Santa visits my
house. Thanks for starting this thread.

Cindy Hamilton

====

Fingers crossed )) I will love it when we can all discuss together
I've had mine for years and it was rare to see anyone talk about it. Mags
got one and has popped up now so I am very pleased I am sure there were
some others. Hurry up and get yours <g>

Anyone else out there??

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 9:42:18 AM UTC-8, Ophelia wrote:
> "ImStillMags" wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 8:19:42 AM UTC-8, Ophelia wrote:
> > Please join in. It would be interesting to hear how others' use it
> >
> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> Recently I did one of my "rounds" where I go to several different stores and
> check out the "used meat bin" on one day. Bring home my haul, which is
> usually pretty wonderful, portion out the different cuts and vacuum seal
> them and then do a marathon sous vide for a few days.
>
> This gives me a selection of sous vide completed cuts of meat in the freezer
> and all I have to do is thaw one out, sear it and ta da....dinner.
>
> ===
>
> Yayyyyyy I hoped you would pop up) You still enjoying it, yes? )
>
> Can you answer Casa's query about smoking and sous vide?
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

nope. don't have a smoker. I have used liquid smoke on a brisket and it worked out just fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 10:57:52 AM UTC-8, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 11:19:42 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> > Please join in. It would be interesting to hear how others' use it

> I'm hoping to become a sous vide user after Santa visits my
> house. Thanks for starting this thread.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ====
>
> Fingers crossed )) I will love it when we can all discuss together
> I've had mine for years and it was rare to see anyone talk about it. Mags
> got one and has popped up now so I am very pleased I am sure there were
> some others. Hurry up and get yours <g>
>
> Anyone else out there??
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

if you go back and search you will find out that I did not purchase a sous vide appliance. I did a "white trash" version with a crock pot and a temperature regulator. That's what I still use. Works just fine and why should I spend a lot of money on another appliance when I only spent $35 for a termocouple for the crock pot and it works perfectly.

Of course to each his own. I'll use my DIY for now.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 9:57:57 AM UTC-8, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 11:19:42 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> > Please join in. It would be interesting to hear how others' use it

> I'm hoping to become a sous vide user after Santa visits my
> house. Thanks for starting this thread.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Cindy, if you use Facebook, there are sous vide groups. I belong to the #annovafoodnerd group, lots of information, ideas and recipes there.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/16/2017 12:13 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 9:42:18 AM UTC-8, Ophelia wrote:
>> "ImStillMags" wrote in message
>>
>> On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 8:19:42 AM UTC-8, Ophelia wrote:
>>> Please join in. It would be interesting to hear how others' use it
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

>> Recently I did one of my "rounds" where I go to several different stores and
>> check out the "used meat bin" on one day. Bring home my haul, which is
>> usually pretty wonderful, portion out the different cuts and vacuum seal
>> them and then do a marathon sous vide for a few days.
>>
>> This gives me a selection of sous vide completed cuts of meat in the freezer
>> and all I have to do is thaw one out, sear it and ta da....dinner.
>>
>> ===
>>
>> Yayyyyyy I hoped you would pop up) You still enjoying it, yes? )
>>
>> Can you answer Casa's query about smoking and sous vide?
>>

>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> nope. don't have a smoker. I have used liquid smoke on a brisket and it worked out just fine.

I'll give it a go, tnx for the report.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/16/2017 12:16 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 10:57:52 AM UTC-8, Ophelia wrote:
>> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>>
>> On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 11:19:42 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>>> Please join in. It would be interesting to hear how others' use it

>> I'm hoping to become a sous vide user after Santa visits my
>> house. Thanks for starting this thread.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>
>> ====
>>
>> Fingers crossed )) I will love it when we can all discuss together
>> I've had mine for years and it was rare to see anyone talk about it. Mags
>> got one and has popped up now so I am very pleased I am sure there were
>> some others. Hurry up and get yours <g>
>>
>> Anyone else out there??
>>
>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> if you go back and search you will find out that I did not purchase a sous vide appliance. I did a "white trash" version with a crock pot and a temperature regulator. That's what I still use. Works just fine and why should I spend a lot of money on another appliance when I only spent $35 for a termocouple for the crock pot and it works perfectly.
>
> Of course to each his own. I'll use my DIY for now.

Same results, but home brew electronics - i like it!

You were a step ahead of the "one pot" fad appliance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> Please join in. It would be interesting to hear how others' use it

One of the unexpected benefits I found was I can also use it to
pasteurize eggs. 130F for 3 hours. Much cheaper than buying the
pre-pasteurized eggs. Great for mayonnaise or just eggs over easy with a
runny yolk, as they're meant to be eaten.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/16/2017 12:20 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 9:57:57 AM UTC-8, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 11:19:42 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
>>> Please join in. It would be interesting to hear how others' use it

>> I'm hoping to become a sous vide user after Santa visits my
>> house. Thanks for starting this thread.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> Cindy, if you use Facebook, there are sous vide groups. I belong to the #annovafoodnerd group, lots of information, ideas and recipes there.

They do have great recipes online too:

http://recipes.anovaculinary.com/

Also:

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/reci...e-recipes.html

And:

http://douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

(I think that last link may be one Ms. O shared, can't recall now...)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" wrote in message

On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 10:57:52 AM UTC-8, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 11:19:42 AM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> > Please join in. It would be interesting to hear how others' use it

> I'm hoping to become a sous vide user after Santa visits my
> house. Thanks for starting this thread.
>
> Cindy Hamilton
>
> ====
>
> Fingers crossed )) I will love it when we can all discuss together
> I've had mine for years and it was rare to see anyone talk about it. Mags
> got one and has popped up now so I am very pleased I am sure there were
> some others. Hurry up and get yours <g>
>
> Anyone else out there??
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

if you go back and search you will find out that I did not purchase a sous
vide appliance. I did a "white trash" version with a crock pot and a
temperature regulator. That's what I still use. Works just fine and why
should I spend a lot of money on another appliance when I only spent $35 for
a termocouple for the crock pot and it works perfectly.

Of course to each his own. I'll use my DIY for now.

==

Yes I know, you told me! You are doing sous vide are you not???? So what
is the problem???

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Storkamp" wrote in message

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> Please join in. It would be interesting to hear how others' use it

One of the unexpected benefits I found was I can also use it to
pasteurize eggs. 130F for 3 hours. Much cheaper than buying the
pre-pasteurized eggs. Great for mayonnaise or just eggs over easy with a
runny yolk, as they're meant to be eaten.

=====

Thanks very much) Good to see you here)

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg

> Hide the Ho Ho's!!!!!!!!!!
>
> - sw
> Do not let "Oscar" near your food. He was obliviously digging
> boogers out of his nose with his thumb at the end of the check-stand
> while bagging groceries. Fortunately he was bagging the customer
> next to me, not mine. Otherwise I would have made a stink about it
> right then, and with no mercy.
>
> Note - it has been one month since I visited Sprouts and wrote this review (Grand Opening weekend, IIRC) as well as writing to corporate about my experience (Oscar + overcharges). Sprouts has never responded or offered a refund. They'll probably complain about this review, though.
>
> They get 1 star for nose-picking while touching customer food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

HMU

CALL OR TEXT or watsapp ....+17546663823
Wickr id............miken
Email

hello we are leading suppliers of pharmaceutical product meds online we operate on daily and retails basis and very reliable and our product are 100% top quality am ready to supply on large and smaller orders and i am looking in building a strong business relationship with potential client around the world i do world wide delivery and delivery is guarantee.
see price list offer and pm me or you can get me on whatsapp

FOR ZOLPICLONE 7.5MG SMALLER ORDER
250 tabs..........................‎£90
500 tabs...........................‎£150
1000 tabs.........................‎£250
2500 tabs.........................£350
5000 tabs.........................£500
7500 tabs.........................£700
10000 tabs........................£850
15000 tabs........................£1200
25000 tabs........................£1500

FOR DIAZEPAM SHALINA BRAND
diazepam 10mg 500pills £100
diazepam 10mg 300pills £70
diazepam 10mg 1000pills £150
diazepam 10mg 5000pills £350
diazepam 5mg 1000pills £120
diazepam 5mg 5000pills £300
diazepam 5mg 10000pills £500
diazepam 10mg 10000pills £700

FOR ROCHE DIAZEPAMS 10MG SMALLER ORDER
250 tabs..........................‎£90
500 tabs...........................‎£150
1000 tabs.........................‎£250
2500 tabs.........................£350
5000 tabs.........................£500
7500 tabs.........................£700
10000 tabs........................£850
15000 tabs........................£1200
25000 tabs........................£1500

TEVA 10MG DIAZEPAMS SMALLER ORDER
250 tabs...........................‎£90
500 tabs...........................‎£150
1000 tabs.........................‎£250
2500 tabs.........................£350
5000 tabs.........................£500
7500 tabs.........................£700
10000 tabs.......................£850
15000 tabs.......................£1200
25000 tabs.......................£1500
ketamine £20 each vial/1g
ketamine powder each gram £25

FOR TRAMADOL APPLE FLAVOUR
tramadol 50mg 250pills £80
tramadol 100mg 300pills £90
tramadol 225mg 300pills £120
tramadol 50mg 500pills £130
tramadol 100mg 500pills £140
tramadol 250mg 500pills £150
tramadol 50mg 1000pills £200
tramadol 100mg 1000pills £220
tramadol 250mg 1000pills £250

FOR TRAMADOL BULK ORDER
tramadol 50mg 5000pills £450
tramadol 100mg 5000pills £550
tramadol 250mg 5000pills £700

i also have my delivery records all around the worlds and i providedated pictures with buyers name and my name CALL US OR TEXT ....+17546663823 email for detailsi supply more than the quantity listed,i give additional discount to more larger ordersi look forward in doing great business with reliable buyersthanks email for details kushpharma35

CALL OR TEXT or watsapp ....+17546663823
Wickr id............miken
Email :
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/16/2017 3:17 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I've never pasteurized eggs so I don't know what the whites
> look like

> ost
> >
> 3/18/2011 3:49 PM
> Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
> readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
> fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com
>

> Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.
>
> -sw

> I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
> There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg

> Hide the Ho Ho's!!!!!!!!!!
>
> - sw
> Do not let "Oscar" near your food. He was obliviously digging
> boogers out of his nose with his thumb at the end of the check-stand
> while bagging groceries. Fortunately he was bagging the customer
> next to me, not mine. Otherwise I would have made a stink about it
> right then, and with no mercy.
>
> Note - it has been one month since I visited Sprouts and wrote this

review (Grand Opening weekend, IIRC) as well as writing to corporate
about my experience (Oscar + overcharges). Sprouts has never responded
or offered a refund. They'll probably complain about this review, though.

> They get 1 star for nose-picking while touching customer food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 13:27:06 -0600, Mark Storkamp wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > "Ophelia" > wrote:
> >
> >> Please join in. It would be interesting to hear how others' use it

> I didn't want to get involved in such an request, but...
>
> > One of the unexpected benefits I found was I can also use it to
> > pasteurize eggs. 130F for 3 hours. Much cheaper than buying the
> > pre-pasteurized eggs. Great for mayonnaise or just eggs over easy with a
> > runny yolk, as they're meant to be eaten.

> All the references I'd seen for pasteurizing eggs said 135F for 75
> minutes. So I was curious what the bare minimum was. According to
> the shell egg pasteurization patent it is 130F (sustained throughout
> for 2.5 minutes). So isn't 130F cutting it a little too close? The
> patent holders use 134.6-139F or higher, in addition to the shells
> being treated for contamination beforehand and afterwards
> reoccurrence.
>
> Does an extra 3F or 4F for half as long make a difference in the
> results? I've never pasteurized eggs so I don't know what the whites
> look like at 130F and 135F.
>
> -sw

I first got the recipe off the internet. Then I downloaded a chart from
the FDA that lists minimum time and temperature for safety. At 130F they
list a 2h minimum. Someone also posted a series of photos of eggs cooked
at various times and temperatures, and mine seem to come out looking
closer to the ones he did at 135F than to the ones he did at 130F, and
much like the ones I've purchased pre-pasteurized. And considering I've
used unpasteurized eggs the majority of my life and never knowingly got
sick, I'm comfortable with using these. YMMV.

As to what the whites look like, there are areas that are just beginning
to have a slightly clouded appearance. They do still whip up, but not as
well as fresh eggs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz > wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 13:27:06 -0600, Mark Storkamp wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > "Ophelia" > wrote:
> >
> >> Please join in. It would be interesting to hear how others' use it

> I didn't want to get involved in such an request, but...
>
> > One of the unexpected benefits I found was I can also use it to
> > pasteurize eggs. 130F for 3 hours. Much cheaper than buying the
> > pre-pasteurized eggs. Great for mayonnaise or just eggs over easy with a
> > runny yolk, as they're meant to be eaten.

> All the references I'd seen for pasteurizing eggs said 135F for 75
> minutes. So I was curious what the bare minimum was. According to
> the shell egg pasteurization patent it is 130F (sustained throughout
> for 2.5 minutes). So isn't 130F cutting it a little too close? The
> patent holders use 134.6-139F or higher, in addition to the shells
> being treated for contamination beforehand and afterwards
> reoccurrence.
>
> Does an extra 3F or 4F for half as long make a difference in the
> results? I've never pasteurized eggs so I don't know what the whites
> look like at 130F and 135F.
>
> -sw

I first got the recipe off the internet. Then I downloaded a chart from
the FDA that lists minimum time and temperature for safety. At 130F they
list a 2h minimum. Someone also posted a series of photos of eggs cooked
at various times and temperatures, and mine seem to come out looking
closer to the ones he did at 135F than to the ones he did at 130F, and
much like the ones I've purchased pre-pasteurized. And considering I've
used unpasteurized eggs the majority of my life and never knowingly got
sick, I'm comfortable with using these. YMMV.

As to what the whites look like, there are areas that are just beginning
to have a slightly clouded appearance. They do still whip up, but not as
well as fresh eggs.

==

Mark, sorry for interrupting, but what else do you sous vide? I am used to
doing meat, fish etc. But we have some new users coming in and some new
ideas might be welcome

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Storkamp wrote:

> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 13:27:06 -0600, Mark Storkamp wrote:

> > I didn't want to get involved in such an request, but...
> >
> > > One of the unexpected benefits I found was I can also use it to
> > > pasteurize eggs. 130F for 3 hours. Much cheaper than buying the
> > > pre-pasteurized eggs. Great for mayonnaise or just eggs over easy with a
> > > runny yolk, as they're meant to be eaten.

> > All the references I'd seen for pasteurizing eggs said 135F for 75
> > minutes. So I was curious what the bare minimum was. According to
> > the shell egg pasteurization patent it is 130F (sustained throughout
> > for 2.5 minutes). So isn't 130F cutting it a little too close? The
> > patent holders use 134.6-139F or higher, in addition to the shells
> > being treated for contamination beforehand and afterwards
> > reoccurrence.
> >
> > Does an extra 3F or 4F for half as long make a difference in the
> > results? I've never pasteurized eggs so I don't know what the whites
> > look like at 130F and 135F.
> >
> > -sw

> I first got the recipe off the internet. Then I downloaded a chart from
> the FDA that lists minimum time and temperature for safety. At 130F they
> list a 2h minimum. Someone also posted a series of photos of eggs cooked
> at various times and temperatures, and mine seem to come out looking
> closer to the ones he did at 135F than to the ones he did at 130F, and
> much like the ones I've purchased pre-pasteurized. And considering I've
> used unpasteurized eggs the majority of my life and never knowingly got
> sick, I'm comfortable with using these. YMMV.
>
> As to what the whites look like, there are areas that are just beginning
> to have a slightly clouded appearance. They do still whip up, but not as
> well as fresh eggs.

IMO, when someone starts cooking eggs ala sous vide, that's the
end of
the world as we know it. I feel fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Ophelia" > wrote:

> Mark, sorry for interrupting, but what else do you sous vide? I am used to
> doing meat, fish etc. But we have some new users coming in and some new
> ideas might be welcome

Meat and fish. I buy chicken breasts at Sam's Club that are vacuum
packed two per pouch and I do those in the package they come in. I've
also done bacon in the pouch straight from the store. I don't have the
times and temps handy for those right now. Other cuts of meat like
steak, I use a Seal-a-Meal to vacuum pack, cook to medium rare, then
sear off quickly in a pan or with the ceramic sear burner on my grill.

At one time someone here posted about doing a roast over an extended
period of time. I tried that once and was not at all happy with the
results. Too chewy. For that I just cook all day in a crock pot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2017 12:06 PM, Gary wrote:
> Mark Storkamp wrote:
>>
>> In article >,
>> Sqwertz > wrote:

>>> I didn't want to get involved in such an request, but...

>>> All the references I'd seen for pasteurizing eggs said 135F for 75
>>> minutes. So I was curious what the bare minimum was. According to
>>> the shell egg pasteurization patent it is 130F (sustained throughout
>>> for 2.5 minutes). So isn't 130F cutting it a little too close? The
>>> patent holders use 134.6-139F or higher, in addition to the shells
>>> being treated for contamination beforehand and afterwards
>>> reoccurrence.
>>>
>>> Does an extra 3F or 4F for half as long make a difference in the
>>> results? I've never pasteurized eggs so I don't know what the whites
>>> look like at 130F and 135F.
>>>
>>> -sw

>> I first got the recipe off the internet. Then I downloaded a chart from
>> the FDA that lists minimum time and temperature for safety. At 130F they
>> list a 2h minimum. Someone also posted a series of photos of eggs cooked
>> at various times and temperatures, and mine seem to come out looking
>> closer to the ones he did at 135F than to the ones he did at 130F, and
>> much like the ones I've purchased pre-pasteurized. And considering I've
>> used unpasteurized eggs the majority of my life and never knowingly got
>> sick, I'm comfortable with using these. YMMV.
>>
>> As to what the whites look like, there are areas that are just beginning
>> to have a slightly clouded appearance. They do still whip up, but not as
>> well as fresh eggs.

> IMO, when someone starts cooking eggs ala sous vide, that's the
> end of
> the world as we know it. I feel fine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hKSYgOGtos

Mott the Hoople and the Game of Life
(Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah)
Andy Kaufman in the wrestling match
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Gary > wrote:

> IMO, when someone starts cooking eggs ala sous vide, that's the
> end of
> the world as we know it. I feel fine.

Do you eat soft boiled eggs? As a rule I don't, and I haven't tried them
sous vide, but I understand you can get a very consistent result that
way. Perfect white and yolk every time. Especially handy if you're
serving a number of people. (I've been told we're in the end times
anyway, so what have you got to lose?)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2017 1:11 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I've gotten doctor-confirmed salmonella

> ost
> >
> 3/18/2011 3:49 PM
> Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
> readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
> fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com
>

> Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.
>
> -sw

> I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
> There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg

> Hide the Ho Ho's!!!!!!!!!!
>
> - sw
> Do not let "Oscar" near your food. He was obliviously digging
> boogers out of his nose with his thumb at the end of the check-stand
> while bagging groceries. Fortunately he was bagging the customer
> next to me, not mine. Otherwise I would have made a stink about it
> right then, and with no mercy.
>
> Note - it has been one month since I visited Sprouts and wrote this

review (Grand Opening weekend, IIRC) as well as writing to corporate
about my experience (Oscar + overcharges). Sprouts has never responded
or offered a refund. They'll probably complain about this review, though.

> They get 1 star for nose-picking while touching customer food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2017 1:56 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Want to buy one or both, Gary? Special price for you

> ost
> >
> 3/18/2011 3:49 PM
> Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
> readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
> fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com
>

> Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.
>
> -sw

> I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
> There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg

> Hide the Ho Ho's!!!!!!!!!!
>
> - sw
> Do not let "Oscar" near your food. He was obliviously digging
> boogers out of his nose with his thumb at the end of the check-stand
> while bagging groceries. Fortunately he was bagging the customer
> next to me, not mine. Otherwise I would have made a stink about it
> right then, and with no mercy.
>
> Note - it has been one month since I visited Sprouts and wrote this

review (Grand Opening weekend, IIRC) as well as writing to corporate
about my experience (Oscar + overcharges). Sprouts has never responded
or offered a refund. They'll probably complain about this review, though.

> They get 1 star for nose-picking while touching customer food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/17/2017 2:04 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> If you got
> chewy then you just need to cook longer.

> ost
> >
> 3/18/2011 3:49 PM
> Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
> readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
> fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com
>

> Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.
>
> -sw

> I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
> There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg

> Hide the Ho Ho's!!!!!!!!!!
>
> - sw
> Do not let "Oscar" near your food. He was obliviously digging
> boogers out of his nose with his thumb at the end of the check-stand
> while bagging groceries. Fortunately he was bagging the customer
> next to me, not mine. Otherwise I would have made a stink about it
> right then, and with no mercy.
>
> Note - it has been one month since I visited Sprouts and wrote this

review (Grand Opening weekend, IIRC) as well as writing to corporate
about my experience (Oscar + overcharges). Sprouts has never responded
or offered a refund. They'll probably complain about this review, though.

> They get 1 star for nose-picking while touching customer food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote:

> Mark, sorry for interrupting, but what else do you sous vide? I am used
> doing meat, fish etc. But we have some new users coming in and some new
> ideas might be welcome

Meat and fish. I buy chicken breasts at Sam's Club that are vacuum
packed two per pouch and I do those in the package they come in. I've
also done bacon in the pouch straight from the store. I don't have the
times and temps handy for those right now. Other cuts of meat like
steak, I use a Seal-a-Meal to vacuum pack, cook to medium rare, then
sear off quickly in a pan or with the ceramic sear burner on my grill.

That is pretty much how I do mine. (I call mine a 'food saver'.

At one time someone here posted about doing a roast over an extended
period of time. I tried that once and was not at all happy with the
results. Too chewy. For that I just cook all day in a crock pot.

By roast you mean a joint of meat? I do mine sous vide too. I've
never had a problem. The last joint of beef I did came out beautifully. I
made beef gravy and sliced up the joint. It is a favourite here

BTW I do use my slow cooker for many things though, depending what is
it)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Gary > wrote:

> IMO, when someone starts cooking eggs ala sous vide, that's the
> end of
> the world as we know it. I feel fine.

Do you eat soft boiled eggs? As a rule I don't, and I haven't tried them
sous vide, but I understand you can get a very consistent result that
way. Perfect white and yolk every time. Especially handy if you're
serving a number of people. (I've been told we're in the end times
anyway, so what have you got to lose?)

==

I have never tried that For soft boiled eggs, I put them in a pan of
water that is coming to the boil. Boil for 5 minutes. Straight into cold
water.

I've never had a problem with that ... even if we are in the end times <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 6:19:42 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> Please join in. It would be interesting to hear how others' use it
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

I was thinking about putting frozen meat directly into the hot water bath and adding a half hour to the cooking time. Have you tried this?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 6:19:42 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> Please join in. It would be interesting to hear how others' use it
>
> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

I was thinking about putting frozen meat directly into the hot water bath
and adding a half hour to the cooking time. Have you tried this?

==

No I haven't. I read that can be dangerous. It take the meat so long to
get up to temp, bacteria can grow to a dangerous level.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote:
> I was thinking about putting frozen meat directly into the hot water bath
> and adding a half hour to the cooking time. Have you tried this?
>
> ==
>
> No I haven't. I read that can be dangerous. It take the meat so long to
> get up to temp, bacteria can grow to a dangerous level.

For this same reason, anytime I cook something with meat in my
crockpot, I always turn it on high to get to that simmer, then
turn it to low to cook for the day. 24 hour cooking when making
chicken stock.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2017 3:38 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1"Â* wrote in message
>
> On Thursday, November 16, 2017 at 6:19:42 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>> Please join in.Â* It would be interesting to hear how others' use it
>>
>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> I was thinking about putting frozen meat directly into the hot water
> bath and adding a half hour to the cooking time. Have you tried this?
>
> ==
>
> No I haven't.Â* I read that can be dangerous.Â* It take the meat so long
> to get up to temp, bacteria can grow to a dangerous level.

I'll ditto that from the websites I read.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" wrote in message ...

Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" wrote:
> I was thinking about putting frozen meat directly into the hot water bath
> and adding a half hour to the cooking time. Have you tried this?
>
> ==
>
> No I haven't. I read that can be dangerous. It take the meat so long to
> get up to temp, bacteria can grow to a dangerous level.

For this same reason, anytime I cook something with meat in my
crockpot, I always turn it on high to get to that simmer, then
turn it to low to cook for the day. 24 hour cooking when making
chicken stock.

==

I don't do that if they meat is not whole. It doesn't take too long to heat
through.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 08:44:53 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "dsi1" wrote:
>> I was thinking about putting frozen meat directly into the hot water bath
>> and adding a half hour to the cooking time. Have you tried this?
>>
>> ==
>>
>> No I haven't. I read that can be dangerous. It take the meat so long to
>> get up to temp, bacteria can grow to a dangerous level.

>For this same reason, anytime I cook something with meat in my
>crockpot, I always turn it on high to get to that simmer, then
>turn it to low to cook for the day. 24 hour cooking when making
>chicken stock.

Why can't you slow cook on your stove top? And if your smallest
burner won't go low enough either adjust it (gas burners can be
adjusted) or use a flame tamer, they're made for gas or electric.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 7:52:06 AM UTC-10, Sheldon wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 08:44:53 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Ophelia wrote:
> >>
> >> "dsi1" wrote:
> >> I was thinking about putting frozen meat directly into the hot water bath
> >> and adding a half hour to the cooking time. Have you tried this?
> >>
> >> ==
> >>
> >> No I haven't. I read that can be dangerous. It take the meat so long to
> >> get up to temp, bacteria can grow to a dangerous level.

> >For this same reason, anytime I cook something with meat in my
> >crockpot, I always turn it on high to get to that simmer, then
> >turn it to low to cook for the day. 24 hour cooking when making
> >chicken stock.

> Why can't you slow cook on your stove top? And if your smallest
> burner won't go low enough either adjust it (gas burners can be
> adjusted) or use a flame tamer, they're made for gas or electric.

You can - I do. I wouldn't try it with a gas range though.