Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Christmas Baking

I had to move up my Christmas baking schedule because I have to make a
quick trip to the west coast. Today's baking was light fruitcake. I am
well aware that a lot of people don't like Christmas fruit cakes, but
some of us do, and some our friends count on a gift of it. I went out a
couple days ago and bought enough butter, eggs, raisins, glazed
pineapple and green and red cherries. I also got some pitted prunes
because they are good in it even if the recipe does not call them.

I spent the morning making one batch and the afternoon on the second
batch. It takes about hour to mix the stuff up, line the pans and spoon
in the batter, and then two hours cooking time. The are all on the
cooling rack now. After they are cooled I will give them a liberal dose
of brandy and wrap them up.

No time to bake tomorrow. I have to get packed and prepare a eulogy,
find old pictures. I have an early morning flight and get back here
around 5 am Monday.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Good luck with your fruitcake! I absolutely love fruitcake.

That makes *you* a Cannibal!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/15/2017 3:23 PM, casa chevrolet wrote:
> On 11/15/2017 4:12 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> Good luck with your fruitcake!Â* I absolutely love fruitcake.
> >

> That makes *you* a Cannibal!

forged.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 15:15:55 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>I had to move up my Christmas baking schedule because I have to make a
>quick trip to the west coast. Today's baking was light fruitcake. I am
>well aware that a lot of people don't like Christmas fruit cakes, but
>some of us do, and some our friends count on a gift of it. I went out a
>couple days ago and bought enough butter, eggs, raisins, glazed
>pineapple and green and red cherries. I also got some pitted prunes
>because they are good in it even if the recipe does not call them.
>
>I spent the morning making one batch and the afternoon on the second
>batch. It takes about hour to mix the stuff up, line the pans and spoon
>in the batter, and then two hours cooking time. The are all on the
>cooling rack now. After they are cooled I will give them a liberal dose
>of brandy and wrap them up.
>
>No time to bake tomorrow. I have to get packed and prepare a eulogy,
>find old pictures. I have an early morning flight and get back here
>around 5 am Monday.

Sorry to hear you have a funeral to go to. I'm thinking it was someone
close to you, as you are doing the eulogy.

Anyway, have a nice time on the west coast. I'm guessing you'll be
catching up with lots of old friends and relatives.

When you get back, I'll have to bug you about your light fruitcake
recipe. I think if I left out the raisins I'd like it quite a bit. (I
hate raisins.)

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message ]

> I always make a cark fruitcake from a hand-written recipe of my great
> grandmother's. Except for the batter, none of the other ingredients
> indicate quantity. :-) In addition to the ingrediens you mentined, I
> add candied orange and lemon peel, candied citron, diced dates,
> sliced dark mission or golden figs, as well as three kinds of nuts.
>
> Unfortunately, I'm not baking a fruitcake this year. Instead I'm
> making a Figgy Pudding (with figs) and other goodies. I will have it
> done this week and steamed, then store and steamed again for
> Christmas serving.

I always make my late MIL's fruit cake, it's light and has no citron so I
love it. No, I do not know where the recipe came from and neither did she.

2 pounds butter at room temperature
4 cups sugar
12 eggs separated (save whites for later in recipe)
2 oz pure lemon extract
8 cups flour
2 pounds golden raisins
1 pound candied cherries (a combination of green and red looks pretty)
1 pound candied pineapple
2 lbs of walnuts or combination of nuts of choice

In large bowl cream butter and sugar until light, add beaten egg yolks a
little at a time.

Add flour one cup at a time until blended, then add lemon extract. Rough
chop fruit and nuts, lightly dust them with flour, and stir into mixture.
Don't use a mixer for this step or your mixture will turn color from the
cherries.

Beat egg whites until medium soft peak stage and carefully fold into
mixture.

Line loaf pans with double sheets of cut up brown grocery bag paper and
grease paper, this keeps the loaves from developing a crust and keeps them
light.

Bake at 275 for 1 to 1 1/2 hours depending on loaf size, or until a
toothpick comes out fairly clean when inserted in the middle.

Makes 6 loaves and recipe can easily be halved for smaller amount.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-11-15 10:40 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 15:15:55 -0500, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>> No time to bake tomorrow. I have to get packed and prepare a eulogy,
>> find old pictures. I have an early morning flight and get back here
>> around 5 am Monday.

> Sorry to hear you have a funeral to go to. I'm thinking it was someone
> close to you, as you are doing the eulogy.

He was my oldest and dearest friend. We go back 57 years. His family was
my second family. His sister is like a sister to me. We met when we were
ten, moved to different towns and different directions, but always kept
in touch and visited each other.

> Anyway, have a nice time on the west coast. I'm guessing you'll be
> catching up with lots of old friends and relatives.

Not too many to catch up with will be the sister, but there will me one
friend of his from high school who I knew well from visits. The sister
has arranged for me to me picked up at the airport and I can stay with
them and get a ride to the ceremony with them. It is on Saltspring
Island and if I had had to go by public transportation or rent a car and
deal with the ferry I doubt I would manage. It will be a quick trip. I
catch a plane from Hamilton at 7 tomorrow morning and will be back 5 am
Monday morning. Cripes last minute air fare is expensive.

> When you get back, I'll have to bug you about your light fruitcake
> recipe. I think if I left out the raisins I'd like it quite a bit. (I
> hate raisins.)

That could work. I omit the nuts and the pitted dates but I add chopped
pitted prunes.

Moms Fruit Cake

3 cups Seedless white raisins
2 cups red glazed cherries
2 cups green glazed cherries
2 cups candied pineapple
2 cups pitted dates (optional)
1 cup coarsely ground pecans (optional)
5 ½ cups All purpose flour
½ tsp Baking Soda
¾ tsp. Salt
¼ tsp. mace
2 cups soft butter
2 cups granulated sugar
8 eggs
½ pint sour cream
2 tsp. Vanilla
2 tsp. Grated lemon rind
3 Tbsp. Lemon juice

- Blend butter and sugar and add eggs one at a time. Add sour cream,
vanilla, lemon juice and granted rind.

- Place the fruits in a large bowl, sift dry ingredients over the fruit
and stir together. Add liquid mixture to the dry and stir to mix thoroughly.

- Line loaf pans with paper and pour batter into pans to a little more
than half way. NB. Recipe makes enough for 6-7 loaf pans.

- Bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours.

Allow loaves to cool. Sprinkle a little brandy, rum or sherry over each
loaf, wrap them individually in aluminium foil and let them sit for at
least a few days before eating. If not using them within two weeks
they should be frozen.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 22:40:43 -0500, Doris Night
> wrote:

>On Wed, 15 Nov 2017 15:15:55 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>
>>I had to move up my Christmas baking schedule because I have to make a
>>quick trip to the west coast. Today's baking was light fruitcake. I am
>>well aware that a lot of people don't like Christmas fruit cakes, but
>>some of us do, and some our friends count on a gift of it. I went out a
>>couple days ago and bought enough butter, eggs, raisins, glazed
>>pineapple and green and red cherries. I also got some pitted prunes
>>because they are good in it even if the recipe does not call them.
>>
>>I spent the morning making one batch and the afternoon on the second
>>batch. It takes about hour to mix the stuff up, line the pans and spoon
>>in the batter, and then two hours cooking time. The are all on the
>>cooling rack now. After they are cooled I will give them a liberal dose
>>of brandy and wrap them up.
>>
>>No time to bake tomorrow. I have to get packed and prepare a eulogy,
>>find old pictures. I have an early morning flight and get back here
>>around 5 am Monday.

>Sorry to hear you have a funeral to go to. I'm thinking it was someone
>close to you, as you are doing the eulogy.
>
>Anyway, have a nice time on the west coast. I'm guessing you'll be
>catching up with lots of old friends and relatives.
>
>When you get back, I'll have to bug you about your light fruitcake
>recipe. I think if I left out the raisins I'd like it quite a bit. (I
>hate raisins.)
>
>Doris

Use currants instead, you may like them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 11:13:21 -0500, Dave Smith
> [...]

>2 cups granulated sugar
>8 eggs
>½ pint sour cream
>2 tsp. Vanilla
>2 tsp. Grated lemon rind
>3 Tbsp. Lemon juice
>
>- Blend butter and sugar and add eggs one at a time. Add sour cream,
>vanilla, lemon juice and granted rind.
>
>- Place the fruits in a large bowl, sift dry ingredients over the fruit
>and stir together. Add liquid mixture to the dry and stir to mix thoroughly.
>
>- Line loaf pans with paper and pour batter into pans to a little more
>than half way. NB. Recipe makes enough for 6-7 loaf pans.
>
>- Bake at 300 degrees for 2 hours.
>
>Allow loaves to cool. Sprinkle a little brandy, rum or sherry over each
>loaf, wrap them individually in aluminium foil and let them sit for at
>least a few days before eating. If not using them within two weeks

Thanks Dave. Safe travels.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I still say port is a good thing to pour on fruitcakes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 17:03:35 -0800 (PST), wrote:

>I still say port is a good thing to pour on fruitcakes.

Only if it turns them hetero.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote in message

I still say port is a good thing to pour on fruitcakes.

==

Rum!!!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 16 Nov 2017 17:03:35 -0800 (PST), wrote:

>I still say port is a good thing to pour on fruitcakes.

Also good as an alternative to sherry in a trifle.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> So that means you support Australian homosexuals?
>>>

>> Kiwi's need sumpin' to shag aside from sheep...
>>
>> ==
>>
>> New Zealanders as well???

> I don't think he knows the difference

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...an-Aussie.html

"New Zealanders will quickly become nettled if they are confused with
Australians when overseas. There is no surer way to upset us," Mr Cryer
told The Sunday Telegraph.
"People may think that the dialects are similar, but Australia was five
days' sailing away for the early settlers and there is a great deal that
they do not have in common.
"The Australians had influences from their native language, and these
Aboriginal words had no currency in New Zealand."
There are often occasions when the two countries have different words
for the same things, he said. One example is the local term for flip-flops.
"The Australians call them 'thongs', a word which in New Zealand refers
to an item of ladies' underwear," said Mr Cryer.
In Newzild, he explained, flip-flops are known as "jandals".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> Kiwi's need sumpin' to shag aside from sheep...
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> New Zealanders as well???

>> I don't think he knows the difference

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...an-Aussie.html

>"New Zealanders will quickly become nettled if they are confused with
>Australians when overseas. There is no surer way to upset us," Mr Cryer
>told The Sunday Telegraph.
>"People may think that the dialects are similar, but Australia was five
>days' sailing away for the early settlers and there is a great deal that
>they do not have in common.
>"The Australians had influences from their native language, and these
>Aboriginal words had no currency in New Zealand."
>There are often occasions when the two countries have different words
>for the same things, he said. One example is the local term for flip-flops.
>"The Australians call them 'thongs', a word which in New Zealand refers
>to an item of ladies' underwear," said Mr Cryer.

I think of those thongs as dental floss.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> I don't think he knows the difference

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...an-Aussie.html

>> "New Zealanders will quickly become nettled if they are confused with
>> Australians when overseas. There is no surer way to upset us," Mr Cryer
>> told The Sunday Telegraph.
>> "People may think that the dialects are similar, but Australia was five
>> days' sailing away for the early settlers and there is a great deal that
>> they do not have in common.
>> "The Australians had influences from their native language, and these
>> Aboriginal words had no currency in New Zealand."
>> There are often occasions when the two countries have different words
>> for the same things, he said. One example is the local term for flip-flops.
>> "The Australians call them 'thongs', a word which in New Zealand refers
>> to an item of ladies' underwear," said Mr Cryer.

> I think of those thongs as dental floss.

Wide tooth gaps?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 5:43:21 AM UTC-10, casa chevrolet wrote:
> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...an-Aussie.html
>
> "New Zealanders will quickly become nettled if they are confused with
> Australians when overseas. There is no surer way to upset us," Mr Cryer
> told The Sunday Telegraph.
> "People may think that the dialects are similar, but Australia was five
> days' sailing away for the early settlers and there is a great deal that
> they do not have in common.
> "The Australians had influences from their native language, and these
> Aboriginal words had no currency in New Zealand."
> There are often occasions when the two countries have different words
> for the same things, he said. One example is the local term for flip-flops.
> "The Australians call them 'thongs', a word which in New Zealand refers
> to an item of ladies' underwear," said Mr Cryer.
> In Newzild, he explained, flip-flops are known as "jandals".

We call 'em "slippahs" over here or more properly, "rubbah slippahs." Calling them flip-flops wouldn't be cool, but I kinda like "jandals."
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2017 1:19 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 5:43:21 AM UTC-10, casa chevrolet wrote:
>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...an-Aussie.html
>>
>> "New Zealanders will quickly become nettled if they are confused with
>> Australians when overseas. There is no surer way to upset us," Mr Cryer
>> told The Sunday Telegraph.
>> "People may think that the dialects are similar, but Australia was five
>> days' sailing away for the early settlers and there is a great deal that
>> they do not have in common.
>> "The Australians had influences from their native language, and these
>> Aboriginal words had no currency in New Zealand."
>> There are often occasions when the two countries have different words
>> for the same things, he said. One example is the local term for flip-flops.
>> "The Australians call them 'thongs', a word which in New Zealand refers
>> to an item of ladies' underwear," said Mr Cryer.
>> In Newzild, he explained, flip-flops are known as "jandals".

> We call 'em "slippahs" over here or more properly, "rubbah slippahs." Calling them flip-flops wouldn't be cool, but I kinda like "jandals."

This may be resoundingly odd, but have you ever heard the term "zories"
applied to them?

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Zorries

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/mea...tion-of/zories

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/zori
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 12:19:42 -0800 (PST), dsi1 >
wrote:

>We call 'em "slippahs" over here or more properly, "rubbah slippahs." Calling them flip-flops wouldn't be cool, but I kinda like "jandals."

Here it's thongs, flip-flops or pluggers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ann0gOhrjs

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 10:26:49 AM UTC-10, casa chevrolet wrote:

> This may be resoundingly odd, but have you ever heard the term "zories"
> applied to them?
>
> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Zorries
>
> http://onlineslangdictionary.com/mea...tion-of/zories
>
> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/zori

That's not odd at all. Zories are traditional Japanese sandals made from straw and/or wood. The slippahs are just zori made from rubber. My dad would call rubbah slippahs "zori" but most people wouldn't. It might be that when my dad was a kid, rubbah slippahs didn't exist. You can still buy zories though. It might become fashionable one of these days.

http://www.thesamuraiworkshop.com/pr...s-y-type-1.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 10:26:49 AM UTC-10, casa chevrolet
> wrote:
> >
> > This may be resoundingly odd, but have you ever heard the term
> > "zories" applied to them?
> >
> > http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Zorries
> >
> > http://onlineslangdictionary.com/mea...tion-of/zories
> >
> > https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/zori

> That's not odd at all. Zories are traditional Japanese sandals made
> from straw and/or wood. The slippahs are just zori made from rubber.
> My dad would call rubbah slippahs "zori" but most people wouldn't. It
> might be that when my dad was a kid, rubbah slippahs didn't exist.
> You can still buy zories though. It might become fashionable one of
> these days.
>
> http://www.thesamuraiworkshop.com/pr...ining-equipmen
> t-other-zori-sandals-y-type-1.jpg

I knew these as 'tatami shoes'.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 3:16:03 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> I knew these as 'tatami shoes'.
>
> --

I think they're charming, rustic, and funky. Well, they would be if you wear them on the mainland.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 13:26:40 -0700, casa chevrolet wrote:

>On 11/18/2017 1:19 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 5:43:21 AM UTC-10, casa chevrolet wrote:
>>> http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...an-Aussie.html
>>>
>>> "New Zealanders will quickly become nettled if they are confused with
>>> Australians when overseas. There is no surer way to upset us," Mr Cryer
>>> told The Sunday Telegraph.
>>> "People may think that the dialects are similar, but Australia was five
>>> days' sailing away for the early settlers and there is a great deal that
>>> they do not have in common.
>>> "The Australians had influences from their native language, and these
>>> Aboriginal words had no currency in New Zealand."
>>> There are often occasions when the two countries have different words
>>> for the same things, he said. One example is the local term for flip-flops.
>>> "The Australians call them 'thongs', a word which in New Zealand refers
>>> to an item of ladies' underwear," said Mr Cryer.
>>> In Newzild, he explained, flip-flops are known as "jandals".

>> We call 'em "slippahs" over here or more properly, "rubbah slippahs." Calling them flip-flops wouldn't be cool, but I kinda like "jandals."
>>

>This may be resoundingly odd, but have you ever heard the term "zories"
>applied to them?
>
>http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Zorries
>
>http://onlineslangdictionary.com/mea...tion-of/zories
>
>https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/zori

I was just about to mention them.

--
Do not spray into eyes
I have sprayed you into my eyes

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2017 4:52 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 10:26:49 AM UTC-10, casa chevrolet wrote:
>>
>> This may be resoundingly odd, but have you ever heard the term "zories"
>> applied to them?
>>
>> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Zorries
>>
>> http://onlineslangdictionary.com/mea...tion-of/zories
>>
>> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/zori

> That's not odd at all. Zories are traditional Japanese sandals made from straw and/or wood. The slippahs are just zori made from rubber. My dad would call rubbah slippahs "zori" but most people wouldn't. It might be that when my dad was a kid, rubbah slippahs didn't exist. You can still buy zories though. It might become fashionable one of these days.
>
> http://www.thesamuraiworkshop.com/pr...s-y-type-1.jpg

You are literally the only person I know who is aware of that term.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/18/2017 10:41 PM, Lesmond wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 13:26:40 -0700, casa chevrolet wrote:

>>> We call 'em "slippahs" over here or more properly, "rubbah slippahs." Calling them flip-flops wouldn't be cool, but I kinda like "jandals."
>>>

>> This may be resoundingly odd, but have you ever heard the term "zories"
>> applied to them?
>>
>> http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Zorries
>>
>> http://onlineslangdictionary.com/mea...tion-of/zories
>>
>> https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/zori

> I was just about to mention them.

Kewl, you're the 2nd person I've run into who knows the term.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Saturday, November 18, 2017 at 3:16:03 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> >
> > I knew these as 'tatami shoes'.
> >
> > --

> I think they're charming, rustic, and funky. Well, they would be if
> you wear them on the mainland.

Yup, and really common to my mind in Sasebo. I don't recall seeing them
worn outside the house there. I think they were thought of as 'house
slippahs' (translation to Hawaii).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 11:46:13 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> Yup, and really common to my mind in Sasebo. I don't recall seeing them
> worn outside the house there. I think they were thought of as 'house
> slippahs' (translation to Hawaii).
>
> --

There's some strange things happening in Japan, including footwear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViJXxAyrFGs
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/20/2017 11:43 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 11:46:13 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
>>
>> Yup, and really common to my mind in Sasebo. I don't recall seeing them
>> worn outside the house there. I think they were thought of as 'house
>> slippahs' (translation to Hawaii).
>>
>> --

> There's some strange things happening in Japan, including footwear.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViJXxAyrFGs

Dang, now those are some platforms!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, November 19, 2017 at 11:46:13 AM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> Yup, and really common to my mind in Sasebo. I don't recall seeing them
> worn outside the house there. I think they were thought of as 'house
> slippahs' (translation to Hawaii).
>
> --

There's some strange things happening in Japan, including footwear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViJXxAyrFGs

==

Good grief.

--