Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 55 Vintage Recipes From the '50s Worth Trying Today

Ingredients
1 dill pickle spear plus 1 teaspoon juice
3 sweet pickles plus 1 teaspoon juice
6 pitted ripe olives plus 1 teaspoon juice
6 pimiento-stuffed olives plus 1 teaspoon juice
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup Miracle Whip
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
6 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces

http://tinyurl.com/y8k55r24

I've got to say that I have never heard of many of these recipes. I
did get one tip from the potato salad recipe "•To prevent potatoes
from mushing out and losing their shape, add a small amount of vinegar
to their cooking water: 1/2 teaspoon is plenty." There were other
foods in this article that I had no idea were out of style. Split pea
soup, chocolate cake, cole slaw, deviled eggs -- stuff like that.
Anyway, I thought you might find this amusing.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 4:49:06 PM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> There were other
> foods in this article that I had no idea were out of style. Split pea
> soup, chocolate cake, cole slaw, deviled eggs -- stuff like that.
> Anyway, I thought you might find this amusing.
> Janet US

I zipped through the list very quickly and when did ham become 'vintage'
as well as deviled eggs and cold slaw, etc.??

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message

> Ingredients
> 1 dill pickle spear plus 1 teaspoon juice
> 3 sweet pickles plus 1 teaspoon juice
> 6 pitted ripe olives plus 1 teaspoon juice
> 6 pimiento-stuffed olives plus 1 teaspoon juice
> 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
> 1/3 cup Miracle Whip
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
> 6 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
>

> http://tinyurl.com/y8k55r24
>
> I've got to say that I have never heard of many of these recipes. I
> did get one tip from the potato salad recipe ".To prevent potatoes
> from mushing out and losing their shape, add a small amount of vinegar
> to their cooking water: 1/2 teaspoon is plenty." There were other
> foods in this article that I had no idea were out of style. Split pea
> soup, chocolate cake, cole slaw, deviled eggs -- stuff like that.
> Anyway, I thought you might find this amusing.
> Janet US

I love stuffed celery but I'll pass on that!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 20:12:15 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
.. .

>> Ingredients
>> 1 dill pickle spear plus 1 teaspoon juice
>> 3 sweet pickles plus 1 teaspoon juice
>> 6 pitted ripe olives plus 1 teaspoon juice
>> 6 pimiento-stuffed olives plus 1 teaspoon juice
>> 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
>> 1/3 cup Miracle Whip
>> 1/4 teaspoon salt
>> 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
>> 6 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
>>

>> http://tinyurl.com/y8k55r24
>>
>> I've got to say that I have never heard of many of these recipes. I
>> did get one tip from the potato salad recipe ".To prevent potatoes
>> from mushing out and losing their shape, add a small amount of vinegar
>> to their cooking water: 1/2 teaspoon is plenty." There were other
>> foods in this article that I had no idea were out of style. Split pea
>> soup, chocolate cake, cole slaw, deviled eggs -- stuff like that.
>> Anyway, I thought you might find this amusing.
>> Janet US

>I love stuffed celery but I'll pass on that!

I thought that one sounded fine. Overall it is common enough
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

[...]

==

I shall love going through those Thanks for posting

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 20:12:15 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
. ..

>>> Ingredients
>>> 1 dill pickle spear plus 1 teaspoon juice
>>> 3 sweet pickles plus 1 teaspoon juice
>>> 6 pitted ripe olives plus 1 teaspoon juice
>>> 6 pimiento-stuffed olives plus 1 teaspoon juice
>>> 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
>>> 1/3 cup Miracle Whip
>>> 1/4 teaspoon salt
>>> 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
>>> 6 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
>>>

>>> http://tinyurl.com/y8k55r24
>>>
>>> I've got to say that I have never heard of many of these recipes. I
>>> did get one tip from the potato salad recipe ".To prevent potatoes
>>> from mushing out and losing their shape, add a small amount of vinegar
>>> to their cooking water: 1/2 teaspoon is plenty." There were other
>>> foods in this article that I had no idea were out of style. Split pea
>>> soup, chocolate cake, cole slaw, deviled eggs -- stuff like that.
>>> Anyway, I thought you might find this amusing.
>>> Janet US

>>I love stuffed celery but I'll pass on that!

> I thought that one sounded fine. Overall it is common enough
> Janet US

Yikes! I just do peanut butter or jarred cheese.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 5:49:06 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> Ingredients
> 1 dill pickle spear plus 1 teaspoon juice
> 3 sweet pickles plus 1 teaspoon juice
> 6 pitted ripe olives plus 1 teaspoon juice
> 6 pimiento-stuffed olives plus 1 teaspoon juice
> 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
> 1/3 cup Miracle Whip
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
> 6 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces

Our family "recipe" for stuffed celery is
Cream cheese
Sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
Chopped walnuts
Celery

Sorry, haven't got a clue as to the quantities. It came out pretty
lumpy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 08 Nov 2017 15:48:58 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

>Ingredients
>1 dill pickle spear plus 1 teaspoon juice
>3 sweet pickles plus 1 teaspoon juice
>6 pitted ripe olives plus 1 teaspoon juice
>6 pimiento-stuffed olives plus 1 teaspoon juice
>1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
>1/3 cup Miracle Whip

Here comes Miracle Whip:

Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Vinegar, Modified Food Starch, Sugar,
Soybean Oil (Trivial Source of Fat and Cholesterol), Contains Less
than 2% of Salt, Cellulose Gel, Egg Yolks (Trivial Source of Fat and
Cholesterol), Citric Acid, Artificial Color, Lactic Acid, Xanthan Gum,
Mustard Flour, Cellulose Gum, Spice, Paprika, L-Cysteine, Dried
Garlic, Yellow 6, Natural Flavor, Beta Carotene (Color), Artificial
Flavor, Blue 1, with Potassium Sorbate and Calcium Disodium EDTA as
Preservatives

That's a miracle alright! "Worth Trying Today"? Make up your own mind!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> Here comes Miracle Whip:
>
> Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Vinegar, Modified Food Starch, Sugar,
> Soybean Oil (Trivial Source of Fat and Cholesterol), Contains Less
> than 2% of Salt, Cellulose Gel, Egg Yolks (Trivial Source of Fat and
> Cholesterol), Citric Acid, Artificial Color, Lactic Acid, Xanthan Gum,
> Mustard Flour, Cellulose Gum, Spice, Paprika, L-Cysteine, Dried
> Garlic, Yellow 6, Natural Flavor, Beta Carotene (Color), Artificial
> Flavor, Blue 1, with Potassium Sorbate and Calcium Disodium EDTA as
> Preservatives

Hi Bruce. Since you like posting ingredient lists, do me a favor.
Quote the above Miracle Whip ingredients and right below
post the Kraft Mayonaisse ingredients. I'd like to compare.

I have Kraft Mayo here now and I like it. It's every bit as good
Hellman's so I go with whatever is on sale at the time. I did
notice that my mayo doesn't have "High Fructose Corn Syrup." The
Miracle Whip has a tangier taste and I always thought it was the
addition of vinegar but I notice even my mayo has vinegar.
Probable just less vinegar.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 02:33:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 20:12:15 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>I love stuffed celery but I'll pass on that!

>> I thought that one sounded fine. Overall it is common enough
>> Janet US

>Yikes! I just do peanut butter or jarred cheese.

well, it isn't fair to compare the above recipe to peanut butter, now
is it.? And really, I'd go without before I used jarred cheese. The
above recipe is a simple enough concept. Take some cream cheese and
add what you want. Jarred cheese is awful tasting and lazy. Oh, and
so expensive for the amount of crap that you get.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 03:30:11 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 5:49:06 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>> Ingredients
>> 1 dill pickle spear plus 1 teaspoon juice
>> 3 sweet pickles plus 1 teaspoon juice
>> 6 pitted ripe olives plus 1 teaspoon juice
>> 6 pimiento-stuffed olives plus 1 teaspoon juice
>> 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
>> 1/3 cup Miracle Whip
>> 1/4 teaspoon salt
>> 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
>> 6 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces

>Our family "recipe" for stuffed celery is
>Cream cheese
>Sliced pimiento-stuffed olives
>Chopped walnuts
>Celery
>
>Sorry, haven't got a clue as to the quantities. It came out pretty
>lumpy.

I do basically the same every Christmas. I make a huge batch, put in
containers and gift to neighbors who ask for it ;-)
cream cheese
a little garlic powder
pimento stuffed olives
pitted kalamata olives
pecans
soften cream cheese in the microwave
Using mini food processor or blender or whatever, toss in the olives
and nuts and chop.
Stir into the cream cheese.
Voila! cheese spread for celery.
Note: alternative -- use shrimp, Krab, jalapeno, pickled peppers,
roasted peppers, artichoke hearts etc, etc.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/9/2017 10:38 AM, Bruce wrote:
> What is "in lieu"?

Auztard dolt.

http://www.dictionary.com/browse/lieu

noun
1.
place; stead.
Idioms
2.
in lieu of, in place of; instead of:
He gave us an IOU in lieu of cash.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 09:20:27 -0500, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Here comes Miracle Whip:
>>
>> Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Vinegar, Modified Food Starch, Sugar,
>> Soybean Oil (Trivial Source of Fat and Cholesterol), Contains Less
>> than 2% of Salt, Cellulose Gel, Egg Yolks (Trivial Source of Fat and
>> Cholesterol), Citric Acid, Artificial Color, Lactic Acid, Xanthan Gum,
>> Mustard Flour, Cellulose Gum, Spice, Paprika, L-Cysteine, Dried
>> Garlic, Yellow 6, Natural Flavor, Beta Carotene (Color), Artificial
>> Flavor, Blue 1, with Potassium Sorbate and Calcium Disodium EDTA as
>> Preservatives

>Hi Bruce. Since you like posting ingredient lists, do me a favor.
>Quote the above Miracle Whip ingredients and right below
>post the Kraft Mayonaisse ingredients. I'd like to compare.
>
>I have Kraft Mayo here now and I like it. It's every bit as good
>Hellman's so I go with whatever is on sale at the time. I did
>notice that my mayo doesn't have "High Fructose Corn Syrup." The
>Miracle Whip has a tangier taste and I always thought it was the
>addition of vinegar but I notice even my mayo has vinegar.
>Probable just less vinegar.

Miracle Whip:
Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Vinegar, Modified Food Starch, Sugar,
Soybean Oil (Trivial Source of Fat and Cholesterol), Contains Less
than 2% of Salt, Cellulose Gel, Egg Yolks (Trivial Source of Fat and
Cholesterol), Citric Acid, Artificial Color, Lactic Acid, Xanthan Gum,
Mustard Flour, Cellulose Gum, Spice, Paprika, L-Cysteine, Dried
Garlic, Yellow 6, Natural Flavor, Beta Carotene (Color), Artificial
Flavor, Blue 1, with Potassium Sorbate and Calcium Disodium EDTA as
Preservatives

Kraft Mayonnaise, Real Mayo:
Soybean Oil, Water, Eggs, Egg Yolks, Vinegar, Contains Less than 2% of
Sugar, Salt, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Calcium Disodium EDTA as a
Preservative, Dried Garlic, Dried Onions, Spice, Natural Flavor

Hellmann's Mayonnaise, Real:
Soybean Oil, Water, Whole Eggs and Egg Yolks, Vinegar, Salt, Sugar,
Lemon Juice, Calcium Disodium EDTA (Used to Protect Quality), Natural
Flavors

I'd have expected worse, although "Natural Flavors" is a dubious one.
If they use genetic engineering to make a cow poop avocados and they
add those avocados to the mayo, they can call that a "natural flavor",
because it's avocado. And why do they both add sugar to their mayo?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 12:46:28 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 09 Nov 2017 09:20:27 -0500, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Bruce wrote:
> >>
> >> Here comes Miracle Whip:
> >>
> >> Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Vinegar, Modified Food Starch, Sugar,
> >> Soybean Oil (Trivial Source of Fat and Cholesterol), Contains Less
> >> than 2% of Salt, Cellulose Gel, Egg Yolks (Trivial Source of Fat and
> >> Cholesterol), Citric Acid, Artificial Color, Lactic Acid, Xanthan Gum,
> >> Mustard Flour, Cellulose Gum, Spice, Paprika, L-Cysteine, Dried
> >> Garlic, Yellow 6, Natural Flavor, Beta Carotene (Color), Artificial
> >> Flavor, Blue 1, with Potassium Sorbate and Calcium Disodium EDTA as
> >> Preservatives

> >Hi Bruce. Since you like posting ingredient lists, do me a favor.
> >Quote the above Miracle Whip ingredients and right below
> >post the Kraft Mayonaisse ingredients. I'd like to compare.
> >
> >I have Kraft Mayo here now and I like it. It's every bit as good
> >Hellman's so I go with whatever is on sale at the time. I did
> >notice that my mayo doesn't have "High Fructose Corn Syrup." The
> >Miracle Whip has a tangier taste and I always thought it was the
> >addition of vinegar but I notice even my mayo has vinegar.
> >Probable just less vinegar.

> Miracle Whip:
> Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Vinegar, Modified Food Starch, Sugar,
> Soybean Oil (Trivial Source of Fat and Cholesterol), Contains Less
> than 2% of Salt, Cellulose Gel, Egg Yolks (Trivial Source of Fat and
> Cholesterol), Citric Acid, Artificial Color, Lactic Acid, Xanthan Gum,
> Mustard Flour, Cellulose Gum, Spice, Paprika, L-Cysteine, Dried
> Garlic, Yellow 6, Natural Flavor, Beta Carotene (Color), Artificial
> Flavor, Blue 1, with Potassium Sorbate and Calcium Disodium EDTA as
> Preservatives
>
> Kraft Mayonnaise, Real Mayo:
> Soybean Oil, Water, Eggs, Egg Yolks, Vinegar, Contains Less than 2% of
> Sugar, Salt, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Calcium Disodium EDTA as a
> Preservative, Dried Garlic, Dried Onions, Spice, Natural Flavor
>
> Hellmann's Mayonnaise, Real:
> Soybean Oil, Water, Whole Eggs and Egg Yolks, Vinegar, Salt, Sugar,
> Lemon Juice, Calcium Disodium EDTA (Used to Protect Quality), Natural
> Flavors
>
> I'd have expected worse, although "Natural Flavors" is a dubious one.
> If they use genetic engineering to make a cow poop avocados and they
> add those avocados to the mayo, they can call that a "natural flavor",
> because it's avocado. And why do they both add sugar to their mayo?

Presumably, so it will sell better. They cater to their
customers' taste.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 10:11:47 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 12:46:28 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Miracle Whip:
>> Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Vinegar, Modified Food Starch, Sugar,
>> Soybean Oil (Trivial Source of Fat and Cholesterol), Contains Less
>> than 2% of Salt, Cellulose Gel, Egg Yolks (Trivial Source of Fat and
>> Cholesterol), Citric Acid, Artificial Color, Lactic Acid, Xanthan Gum,
>> Mustard Flour, Cellulose Gum, Spice, Paprika, L-Cysteine, Dried
>> Garlic, Yellow 6, Natural Flavor, Beta Carotene (Color), Artificial
>> Flavor, Blue 1, with Potassium Sorbate and Calcium Disodium EDTA as
>> Preservatives
>>
>> Kraft Mayonnaise, Real Mayo:
>> Soybean Oil, Water, Eggs, Egg Yolks, Vinegar, Contains Less than 2% of
>> Sugar, Salt, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Calcium Disodium EDTA as a
>> Preservative, Dried Garlic, Dried Onions, Spice, Natural Flavor
>>
>> Hellmann's Mayonnaise, Real:
>> Soybean Oil, Water, Whole Eggs and Egg Yolks, Vinegar, Salt, Sugar,
>> Lemon Juice, Calcium Disodium EDTA (Used to Protect Quality), Natural
>> Flavors
>>
>> I'd have expected worse, although "Natural Flavors" is a dubious one.
>> If they use genetic engineering to make a cow poop avocados and they
>> add those avocados to the mayo, they can call that a "natural flavor",
>> because it's avocado. And why do they both add sugar to their mayo?

>Presumably, so it will sell better. They cater to their
>customers' taste.

Yes, probably. I wonder what those customers would think of a real,
home-made mayo (meaning without added sugar).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 02:33:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 20:12:15 -0800, "Julie Bove"

m...

>>> I thought that one sounded fine. Overall it is common enough
>>> Janet US

>>Yikes! I just do peanut butter or jarred cheese.

> well, it isn't fair to compare the above recipe to peanut butter, now
> is it.? And really, I'd go without before I used jarred cheese. The
> above recipe is a simple enough concept. Take some cream cheese and
> add what you want. Jarred cheese is awful tasting and lazy. Oh, and
> so expensive for the amount of crap that you get.
> Janet US

I think lazy is fine, but it's got to taste good.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/9/2017 12:46 PM, Bruce wrote:

> Miracle Whip:
> Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Vinegar, Modified Food Starch, Sugar,
> Soybean Oil (Trivial Source of Fat and Cholesterol), Contains Less
> than 2% of Salt, Cellulose Gel, Egg Yolks
>
> Kraft Mayonnaise, Real Mayo:
> Soybean Oil, Water, Eggs, Egg Yolks,
>
> Hellmann's Mayonnaise, Real:
> Soybean Oil, Water, Whole Eggs and Egg Yolks,
>
> I'd have expected worse, although "Natural Flavors" is a dubious one.

Never cared for Miracle Whip and looking at the ingredients, I'd never
use it. May as well just put sugar on the sandwich along with some
cellulose gel. .
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 14:00:04 -0500, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 11/9/2017 12:46 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Miracle Whip:
>> Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Vinegar, Modified Food Starch, Sugar,
>> Soybean Oil (Trivial Source of Fat and Cholesterol), Contains Less
>> than 2% of Salt, Cellulose Gel, Egg Yolks
>>
>> Kraft Mayonnaise, Real Mayo:
>> Soybean Oil, Water, Eggs, Egg Yolks,
>>
>> Hellmann's Mayonnaise, Real:
>> Soybean Oil, Water, Whole Eggs and Egg Yolks,
>>
>> I'd have expected worse, although "Natural Flavors" is a dubious one.

>Never cared for Miracle Whip and looking at the ingredients, I'd never
>use it. May as well just put sugar on the sandwich along with some
>cellulose gel. .

Yes. I wonder how much all this hidden sugar contributes to the
diabetes epidemic.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 1:34:28 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 10:11:47 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> > wrote:
>
> >On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 12:46:28 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
> >>
> >> Miracle Whip:
> >> Water, High Fructose Corn Syrup, Vinegar, Modified Food Starch, Sugar,
> >> Soybean Oil (Trivial Source of Fat and Cholesterol), Contains Less
> >> than 2% of Salt, Cellulose Gel, Egg Yolks (Trivial Source of Fat and
> >> Cholesterol), Citric Acid, Artificial Color, Lactic Acid, Xanthan Gum,
> >> Mustard Flour, Cellulose Gum, Spice, Paprika, L-Cysteine, Dried
> >> Garlic, Yellow 6, Natural Flavor, Beta Carotene (Color), Artificial
> >> Flavor, Blue 1, with Potassium Sorbate and Calcium Disodium EDTA as
> >> Preservatives
> >>
> >> Kraft Mayonnaise, Real Mayo:
> >> Soybean Oil, Water, Eggs, Egg Yolks, Vinegar, Contains Less than 2% of
> >> Sugar, Salt, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Calcium Disodium EDTA as a
> >> Preservative, Dried Garlic, Dried Onions, Spice, Natural Flavor
> >>
> >> Hellmann's Mayonnaise, Real:
> >> Soybean Oil, Water, Whole Eggs and Egg Yolks, Vinegar, Salt, Sugar,
> >> Lemon Juice, Calcium Disodium EDTA (Used to Protect Quality), Natural
> >> Flavors
> >>
> >> I'd have expected worse, although "Natural Flavors" is a dubious one.
> >> If they use genetic engineering to make a cow poop avocados and they
> >> add those avocados to the mayo, they can call that a "natural flavor",
> >> because it's avocado. And why do they both add sugar to their mayo?

> >Presumably, so it will sell better. They cater to their
> >customers' taste.

> Yes, probably. I wonder what those customers would think of a real,
> home-made mayo (meaning without added sugar).

They'd probably think it was too bland, since Kraft also gooses
up the vinegar.

I grew up on Miracle Whip, and switched to Hellman's mayonnaise
in my 20s. I'm pretty sure its ingredients list was shorter
then. I've made my own a few times, but I don't eat enough
to make that a viable option. I recently bought a jarred
mayonnaise without any of the weird stuff in it, but my husband
didn't like it. I'm back to Hellman's; none of that stuff
will kill me.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 18:53:56 GMT, "l not -l" > wrote:

>On 9-Nov-2017, U.S. Janet B. > wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 02:33:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>

>> >"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> >Yikes! I just do peanut butter or jarred cheese.

>> well, it isn't fair to compare the above recipe to peanut
>> butter, now
>> is it.? And really, I'd go without before I used jarred cheese.
>> The
>> above recipe is a simple enough concept. Take some cream
>> cheese and
>> add what you want. Jarred cheese is awful tasting and lazy.
>> Oh, and
>> so expensive for the amount of crap that you get.

>Oh, how I disagree; not about price but about the crap. IMO, it
>may not be "real" cheese; but, Kraft Old English or Pimento
>cheese in the little jars makes a tasty addition to crackers,
>celery or a number of other things that cry out a flavor boost.
>Heck, even the Pineapple variety is pretty darn good once every
>two or three years with the right delivery vehicle. It's a step
>up from Cheeze Whiz which is a step up from Velveeta. Each has a
>use, just not very often, in my kitchen.

You are allowed to disagree. :-)
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 11:23:14 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>They'd probably think it was too bland, since Kraft also gooses
>up the vinegar.
>
>I grew up on Miracle Whip, and switched to Hellman's mayonnaise
>in my 20s. I'm pretty sure its ingredients list was shorter
>then. I've made my own a few times, but I don't eat enough
>to make that a viable option. I recently bought a jarred
>mayonnaise without any of the weird stuff in it, but my husband
>didn't like it. I'm back to Hellman's; none of that stuff
>will kill me.

People's taste buds have been corrupted by the food industry. There's
no better mayo than home-made mayo. But people now think that mayo
should taste like the science projects that the food industry comes up
with.

Just like children prefer super pink industry ham to the greyer real
thing.

Sheeple brains at work.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
> On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 1:34:28 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 10:11:47 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton
>> > wrote:

>> >Presumably, so it will sell better. They cater to their
>> >customers' taste.

>> Yes, probably. I wonder what those customers would think of a real,
>> home-made mayo (meaning without added sugar).

> They'd probably think it was too bland, since Kraft also gooses
> up the vinegar.
>
> I grew up on Miracle Whip, and switched to Hellman's mayonnaise
> in my 20s. I'm pretty sure its ingredients list was shorter
> then. I've made my own a few times, but I don't eat enough
> to make that a viable option. I recently bought a jarred
> mayonnaise without any of the weird stuff in it, but my husband
> didn't like it. I'm back to Hellman's; none of that stuff
> will kill me.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Exactly. I like Miracle Whip, but don't use it often at all. I like
Hellman's mayo too, here it's called Best Foods, and none has hurt me thus
far.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 11:50:03 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Cindy Hamilton" > wrote in message
>> On Thursday, November 9, 2017 at 1:34:28 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 10:11:47 -0800 (PST), Cindy Hamilton

>>> Yes, probably. I wonder what those customers would think of a real,
>>> home-made mayo (meaning without added sugar).

>> They'd probably think it was too bland, since Kraft also gooses
>> up the vinegar.
>>
>> I grew up on Miracle Whip, and switched to Hellman's mayonnaise
>> in my 20s. I'm pretty sure its ingredients list was shorter
>> then. I've made my own a few times, but I don't eat enough
>> to make that a viable option. I recently bought a jarred
>> mayonnaise without any of the weird stuff in it, but my husband
>> didn't like it. I'm back to Hellman's; none of that stuff
>> will kill me.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

>Exactly. I like Miracle Whip, but don't use it often at all. I like
>Hellman's mayo too, here it's called Best Foods, and none has hurt me thus
>far.

Yeah, let's all eat food that hasn't hurt us thus far. Even better,
let's stock up our trailer with it!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/9/2017 12:28 PM, Bruce wrote:
> There's
> no better mayo than home-made mayo.

+1

(the rest is just more griping)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/9/2017 12:58 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> Exactly. I like Miracle Whip, but don't use it often at all. I like
>> Hellman's mayo too, here it's called Best Foods, and none has hurt me thus
>> far.

> Yeah, let's all eat food that hasn't hurt us thus far. Even better,
> let's stock up our trailer with it!

Oh wotta surpise, the auztarded troll has an elitist gripe with trailers
too...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 13:49:08 -0700, Casa de los peregrinos
> wrote:

>On 11/9/2017 12:58 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>> Exactly. I like Miracle Whip, but don't use it often at all. I like
>>> Hellman's mayo too, here it's called Best Foods, and none has hurt me thus
>>> far.

>> Yeah, let's all eat food that hasn't hurt us thus far. Even better,
>> let's stock up our trailer with it!

>Oh wotta surpise, the highly respected gentleman from a beautiful country has an elitist gripe with trailers
>too...

You've got to admit that "this food hasn't hurt me thus far" is a bit
of a low standard, especially for a cooking group.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/9/2017 1:52 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 13:49:08 -0700, Casa de los peregrinos
> > wrote:

>>> Yeah, let's all eat food that hasn't hurt us thus far. Even better,
>>> let's stock up our trailer with it!

>> Oh wotta surpise, the highly respected gentleman from auztardia has an elitist gripe with trailers
>> too...

> You've got to admit that "this food hasn't hurt me thus far" is a bit
> of a low standard, especially for a cooking group.

You are now seen as an elitist fop who can't tolerate trailers.

Or I suppose "caravans" as you lot are wont to call them.

http://www.flexihome.com.au/

http://www.parkwoodhomes.com.au/

http://www.themovechannel.com/proper...mes/australia/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Casa de los peregrinos" > wrote in message
news
> On 11/9/2017 12:28 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> There's
>> no better mayo than home-made mayo.

> +1
>
> (the rest is just more griping)

I make my own occasionally, but I do like Best Foods better.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/9/2017 2:43 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Casa de los peregrinos" > wrote in message
> news
>> On 11/9/2017 12:28 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>> There's
>>> no better mayo than home-made mayo.

>> +1
>>
>> (the rest is just more griping)

> I make my own occasionally, but I do like Best Foods better.
>
> Cheri

I think that's what I end up with for tuna salad, no Miracle whip -
seems fakey to me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 14:24:16 -0700, Casa de los peregrinos
> wrote:

>On 11/9/2017 1:52 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 13:49:08 -0700, Casa de los peregrinos
>> > wrote:

>>> Oh wotta surpise, the highly respected gentleman from auztardia has an elitist gripe with trailers
>>> too...

>> You've got to admit that "this food hasn't hurt me thus far" is a bit
>> of a low standard, especially for a cooking group.

>You are now seen as an elitist fop who can't tolerate trailers.
>
>Or I suppose "caravans" as you lot are wont to call them.

Every time I have to mow 6 acres again, I long for a nice little
trailer.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/9/2017 3:18 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 14:24:16 -0700, Casa de los peregrinos
> > wrote:
>
>> On 11/9/2017 1:52 PM, Bruce wrote:
>>> On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 13:49:08 -0700, Casa de los peregrinos

>>> You've got to admit that "this food hasn't hurt me thus far" is a bit
>>> of a low standard, especially for a cooking group.

>> You are now seen as an elitist fop who can't tolerate trailers.
>>
>> Or I suppose "caravans" as you lot are wont to call them.

> Every time I have to mow 6 acres again, I long for a nice little
> trailer.

There's a good hypocrite then!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

l not -l wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 9-Nov-2017, U.S. Janet B. > wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 02:33:14 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> > > Yikes! I just do peanut butter or jarred cheese.

> > well, it isn't fair to compare the above recipe to peanut
> > butter, now
> > is it.? And really, I'd go without before I used jarred cheese.
> > The
> > above recipe is a simple enough concept. Take some cream
> > cheese and
> > add what you want. Jarred cheese is awful tasting and lazy.
> > Oh, and
> > so expensive for the amount of crap that you get.

> Oh, how I disagree; not about price but about the crap. IMO, it
> may not be "real" cheese; but, Kraft Old English or Pimento
> cheese in the little jars makes a tasty addition to crackers,
> celery or a number of other things that cry out a flavor boost.
> Heck, even the Pineapple variety is pretty darn good once every
> two or three years with the right delivery vehicle. It's a step
> up from Cheeze Whiz which is a step up from Velveeta. Each has a
> use, just not very often, in my kitchen.

I agree, they all have uses in the right place. I use only nacho dip
cheese here when it comes to canned/jarred but it's a fast snack with
chips and perfect for that. I'd say my daughter and I share one of
those every 6 weeks or so.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/8/2017 5:48 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> Ingredients
> 1 dill pickle spear plus 1 teaspoon juice
> 3 sweet pickles plus 1 teaspoon juice
> 6 pitted ripe olives plus 1 teaspoon juice
> 6 pimiento-stuffed olives plus 1 teaspoon juice
> 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
> 1/3 cup Miracle Whip
> 1/4 teaspoon salt
> 1/4 cup finely chopped pecans, toasted
> 6 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
>

> http://tinyurl.com/y8k55r24
>
> I've got to say that I have never heard of many of these recipes. I
> did get one tip from the potato salad recipe "€¢To prevent potatoes
> from mushing out and losing their shape, add a small amount of vinegar
> to their cooking water: 1/2 teaspoon is plenty." There were other
> foods in this article that I had no idea were out of style. Split pea
> soup, chocolate cake, cole slaw, deviled eggs -- stuff like that.
> Anyway, I thought you might find this amusing.
> Janet US

That was a fun list. I haven't seen Baked Alaska except in old movies.
I'm not sure how many people actually want to go to all that trouble for
a dessert these days.

I do think cheese balls are rather passe. Seems to me cheese balls came
back briefly in the 70's and 80's, then went back out of style again.

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/...lls?trkid=ZMSN

I've never had honey baked apples. Like you, I can't figure out why
cole slaw and deviled eggs is allegedly out of style. Lasagna? Really?
Who does come up with these lists?

Jill