Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default 55 Vintage Recipes From the '50s Worth Trying Today

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 10:15:59 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"dsi1" wrote in message
>
>On Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 11:20:10 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> We love fruit pies and crumbles ... but only home made. I guess it is how
>> you make them.
>>
>> Overcooked apples yucky? Heh, don't overcook them)
>>

>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

>I made a mushroom and cheese pizza tonight. I made a second one with
>lingonberry jam, blueberries, and marshmallows. It's probably too sweet for
>the Brits but just about right for the Hawaiians. I haven't made very many
>fruit pies but this is sorta like a fruit pie.

This isn't just to sweet for the Brits. This is too sweet for mankind
as we know it. And you didn't even check the ingredients of the
marshmallows.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 12:16:10 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 11:20:10 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > We love fruit pies and crumbles ... but only home made. I guess it is how
> > you make them.
> >
> > Overcooked apples yucky? Heh, don't overcook them)
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> I made a mushroom and cheese pizza tonight. I made a second one with
> lingonberry jam, blueberries, and marshmallows. It's probably too sweet for
> the Brits but just about right for the Hawaiians. I haven't made very many
> fruit pies but this is sorta like a fruit pie.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...GotOuy7LkWxvF1
>
> ==
>
> It is certainly too sweet for me, but it looks delicious
>
> The only pizza I make is ham and pineapple. I do like other types but that
> is what D loves, so I don't bother making any of the others
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

I would like to make a fruit pie but I don't really care for fruit pies. My favorite pies would be custard and pecan. A fruit tart, however, would be just lovely. Yes indeedy.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

call/text or watsapp +17546663823
Wickr.....................budsman35

We are real and reliable suppliers of ,weed,hash,hash
oil,ketamine,pharmaceutical product(meds) other meds online. i operate
on whole sale basis and retail basis at very moderate and affordable
prices. Delivery & quality Guaranteed..i do offer sample...
100% with Tracking numbers .sample order to build trust also available

SHALINA 10MG DIAZEPAM SMALLER ORDER

diazepam 10mg 300pills £60
diazepam 10mg 500pills £80
diazepam 10mg 1000pills £130
diazepam 10mg 5000pills £300
diazepam 10mg 10000pills £550

ROCHE DIAZEPAMS 10MG SMALLER ORDER
250 tabs........................£90
500 tabs.......................£150
1000 tabs.....................£250
2500 tabs....................£350
5000 tabs....................£500
7500 tabs...................£700
10000 tabs.................£850
15000 tabs.................£1200
25000 tabs.................£1500

TEVA 10MG DIAZEPAMS SMALLER ORDER

250 tabs....£90
500 tabs....£150
1000 tabs....£250
2500 tabs......£350
5000 tabs......£500
7500 tabs.........£700
10000 tabs.........£850
15000 tabs..........£1200
25000 tabs............£1500
BULK DIAZEPAMS 10MG ORDER

diazepam 10mg 1000pills £150
diazepam 10mg 5000pills £350
diazepam 5mg 1250pills £ 180
diazepam 5mg 6000pills £400
diazepam 5mg 12000pills £700

KETAMINE HCL AND CRYSTAL POWDER SMALL ORDER

10 vails injectable. each 10ml.............£250
15 vails.........................................£30 0
20.vails.......................................£. 400
30 vails.........................................£50 0

KETAMINE HCL AND CRYSTAL POWDER BULK ORDER

50 injectable. each 10mls.............£800
70 vails.........................................£10 00
100 vails.........................................£17 00
200 vails.........................................£20 00

SHIPPING INFO.
Shipping and delivery is discrete safe and guaranteed to all address.
We also have available other research chemicals which you can get at
very affordable prices which are listed below. Cocaine,

you get videos of product with name date and time always for real mate cheers

call/text or watsapp +17546663823
Wickr.....................budsman35
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"dsi1" wrote in message
>
>On Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 11:20:10 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> We love fruit pies and crumbles ... but only home made. I guess it is
>> how
>> you make them.
>>
>> Overcooked apples yucky? Heh, don't overcook them)
>>

>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

>I made a mushroom and cheese pizza tonight. I made a second one with
>lingonberry jam, blueberries, and marshmallows. It's probably too sweet for
>the Brits but just about right for the Hawaiians. I haven't made very many
>fruit pies but this is sorta like a fruit pie.

This isn't just to sweet for the Brits. This is too sweet for mankind
as we know it. And you didn't even check the ingredients of the
marshmallows.
====

Ahh but Hawaiians are not mankind! They are Hawaiian kind with an
incredibly sweet tooth)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 12:16:10 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 11:20:10 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> >
> > We love fruit pies and crumbles ... but only home made. I guess it is
> > how
> > you make them.
> >
> > Overcooked apples yucky? Heh, don't overcook them)
> >

> > --
> > http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> I made a mushroom and cheese pizza tonight. I made a second one with
> lingonberry jam, blueberries, and marshmallows. It's probably too sweet
> for
> the Brits but just about right for the Hawaiians. I haven't made very many
> fruit pies but this is sorta like a fruit pie.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...GotOuy7LkWxvF1
>
> ==
>
> It is certainly too sweet for me, but it looks delicious
>
> The only pizza I make is ham and pineapple. I do like other types but
> that
> is what D loves, so I don't bother making any of the others
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

I would like to make a fruit pie but I don't really care for fruit pies. My
favorite pies would be custard and pecan. A fruit tart, however, would be
just lovely. Yes indeedy.

==

What is the difference (to you) of a pie and a tart? Is it the top 'lid'?
I sometimes make my pies with just a latticed top but otherwise, I make
both. Just depends on how I am feeling on the day)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote:

> juliebove says (about commercial pies):
> > I tried a bite of the pie. Tasted no different than what I make.

> IOW your pies are just as bad as a shop pies.
>
> You probably "make pie" by unrolling a packet of factory made ready
> rolled pastry and pouring in some ready-made canned filling. Serve with
> spray-on miracle whip substitute.

You beat me to that one, Janet UK.
I've NEVER had a homemade pie (from anyone) that tasted
like an inferior store bought pie.

For one thing, nothing beats a homemade crust from scratch.
Not even store-bought crusts. I never buy those.

Then the filling...never had a good canned store filling either.
I use real produce and spices and a nip of flour.

As I've said, I have been crust challenged but it's not because
of the taste or texture. I make good and flaky crusts. I just
can't seem to roll one out in one large piece. I end up piecing
it together like a puzzle. Tastes fine, just not good
presentation
for guests.

Usually just me here now and I don't care WTH it looks like
as long as the taste is right. Only guests these days are the
occasional family members and they feel the same way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2017 3:08 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 11:20:10 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> We love fruit pies and crumbles ... but only home made. I guess it is how
>> you make them.
>>
>> Overcooked apples yucky? Heh, don't overcook them)
>>

>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> I made a mushroom and cheese pizza tonight. I made a second one with lingonberry jam, blueberries, and marshmallows. It's probably too sweet for the Brits but just about right for the Hawaiians. I haven't made very many fruit pies but this is sorta like a fruit pie.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...GotOuy7LkWxvF1

Lovely, a tart by any other name....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2017 3:29 AM, Bruce wrote:
> This is too sweet for mankind
> as we know it.

**** off asshole, if he and his people like it that's ALL that matters.

Would it personally hurt you /not/ to be Triumph the Insult Dog?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2017 4:08 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "Bruce"* wrote in message
>
> On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 10:15:59 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>> "dsi1"* wrote in message
>>
>> On Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 11:20:10 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> We love fruit pies and crumbles ... but only home made.* I guess it
>>> is how
>>> you make them.
>>>
>>> Overcooked apples yucky?* Heh, don't overcook them)
>>>

>>> --
>>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

>> I made a mushroom and cheese pizza tonight. I made a second one with
>> lingonberry jam, blueberries, and marshmallows. It's probably too
>> sweet for
>> the Brits but just about right for the Hawaiians. I haven't made very
>> many
>> fruit pies but this is sorta like a fruit pie.

> This isn't just to sweet for the Brits. This is too sweet for mankind
> as we know it. And you didn't even check the ingredients of the
> marshmallows.
> ====
>
> Ahh but Hawaiians are not mankind!* They are Hawaiian kind with an
> incredibly sweet tooth)

Well there you go again, treating him civilly when he just needlessly
trashed someone you like.

This is why he remains here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 11:08:07 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 10:15:59 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>>On Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 11:20:10 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> We love fruit pies and crumbles ... but only home made. I guess it is
>>> how
>>> you make them.
>>>
>>> Overcooked apples yucky? Heh, don't overcook them)
>>>

>>> --
>>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

>>I made a mushroom and cheese pizza tonight. I made a second one with
>>lingonberry jam, blueberries, and marshmallows. It's probably too sweet for
>>the Brits but just about right for the Hawaiians. I haven't made very many
>>fruit pies but this is sorta like a fruit pie.

>This isn't just to sweet for the Brits. This is too sweet for mankind
>as we know it. And you didn't even check the ingredients of the
>marshmallows.
>====
>
>Ahh but Hawaiians are not mankind! They are Hawaiian kind with an
>incredibly sweet tooth)

All those sweets can't be good for their teeth:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/41451...s/illo_461.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 1:12:40 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> What is the difference (to you) of a pie and a tart? Is it the top 'lid'?
> I sometimes make my pies with just a latticed top but otherwise, I make
> both. Just depends on how I am feeling on the day)
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

That's a good question. Tarts are pastry with the fruit laid out in a single layer or a small fruit or non-fruit pie. Other people's definition may vary - in this group, you can pretty much count on that being the case.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 6:52:52 AM UTC-10, casa chevrolet wrote:

> Lovely, a tart by any other name....

I put melted butter under the crust so the pizza was sorta fried. My wife came home from work this morning and had a slice. She said it was delicious. That was a little surprising but maybe it's not overly sweet. The next time I'll sprinkle large grain sugar on it for crunch and top it with miniature marshmallows. Hoo boy!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2017 11:08 AM, Bruce wrote:
> All those sweets can't be good for their teeth:

All your hatred will do THIS to your cardio system:

http://dailytimes.com.pk/static/uplo...e3b06132ba.JPG
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2017 11:36 AM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 6:52:52 AM UTC-10, casa chevrolet wrote:
>>
>> Lovely, a tart by any other name....

> I put melted butter under the crust so the pizza was sorta fried.

Great idea!

My wife came home from work this morning and had a slice. She said it
was delicious. That was a little surprising but maybe it's not overly
sweet. The next time I'll sprinkle large grain sugar on it for crunch
and top it with miniature marshmallows. Hoo boy!

And finish all off with:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...Y300_QL70_.jpg

Come to think of it, have you ever considered a creme brulee pizza?

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ie-recipe.html

Ingredients
One half recipe Easy Pie Dough, shaped and chilled in a pie plate
1 egg
7 egg yolks
5 ounces (About 3/4 cup) granulated sugar, plus 1/2 ounce for sprinkling
1 vanilla bean, cut in half with the seeds scraped from the inside
5 ounces heavy cream
5 ounces milk
Pinch of salt

Looks a LOT like yours, doesn't it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 8:47:41 AM UTC-10, casa chevrolet wrote:

> And finish all off with:
>
> http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...Y300_QL70_.jpg
>
> Come to think of it, have you ever considered a creme brulee pizza?
>
> http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ie-recipe.html
>
> Ingredients
> One half recipe Easy Pie Dough, shaped and chilled in a pie plate
> 1 egg
> 7 egg yolks
> 5 ounces (About 3/4 cup) granulated sugar, plus 1/2 ounce for sprinkling
> 1 vanilla bean, cut in half with the seeds scraped from the inside
> 5 ounces heavy cream
> 5 ounces milk
> Pinch of salt
>

> Looks a LOT like yours, doesn't it?

A most interesting idea. I left that pizza under the broiler for about 30 seconds too long. Not as pretty but probably more tasty.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2017 12:10 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 8:47:41 AM UTC-10, casa chevrolet wrote:
>>
>> And finish all off with:
>>
>> http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...Y300_QL70_.jpg
>>
>> Come to think of it, have you ever considered a creme brulee pizza?
>>
>> http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2...ie-recipe.html
>>
>> Ingredients
>> One half recipe Easy Pie Dough, shaped and chilled in a pie plate
>> 1 egg
>> 7 egg yolks
>> 5 ounces (About 3/4 cup) granulated sugar, plus 1/2 ounce for sprinkling
>> 1 vanilla bean, cut in half with the seeds scraped from the inside
>> 5 ounces heavy cream
>> 5 ounces milk
>> Pinch of salt
>>

>> Looks a LOT like yours, doesn't it?

> A most interesting idea. I left that pizza under the broiler for about 30 seconds too long. Not as pretty but probably more tasty.

Indeed!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 10:15:59 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"dsi1" wrote in message
>>
>>On Saturday, November 11, 2017 at 11:20:10 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>>
>>> We love fruit pies and crumbles ... but only home made. I guess it is
>>> how
>>> you make them.
>>>
>>> Overcooked apples yucky? Heh, don't overcook them)
>>>

>>> --
>>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

>>I made a mushroom and cheese pizza tonight. I made a second one with
>>lingonberry jam, blueberries, and marshmallows. It's probably too sweet
>>for
>>the Brits but just about right for the Hawaiians. I haven't made very many
>>fruit pies but this is sorta like a fruit pie.

>This isn't just to sweet for the Brits. This is too sweet for mankind
>as we know it. And you didn't even check the ingredients of the
>marshmallows.
>====
>
>Ahh but Hawaiians are not mankind! They are Hawaiian kind with an
>incredibly sweet tooth)

All those sweets can't be good for their teeth:
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/41451...s/illo_461.jpg

===

Their choice! They seem such a happy lot. Why spoil that?

Incidentally, your pic didn't open!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 1:12:40 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> What is the difference (to you) of a pie and a tart? Is it the top 'lid'?
> I sometimes make my pies with just a latticed top but otherwise, I make
> both. Just depends on how I am feeling on the day)
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

That's a good question. Tarts are pastry with the fruit laid out in a single
layer or a small fruit or non-fruit pie. Other people's definition may
vary - in this group, you can pretty much count on that being the case.

==

Okay, works for me too)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Sunday, November 12, 2017 at 6:52:52 AM UTC-10, casa chevrolet wrote:

> Lovely, a tart by any other name....

I put melted butter under the crust so the pizza was sorta fried. My wife
came home from work this morning and had a slice. She said it was delicious.
That was a little surprising but maybe it's not overly sweet. The next time
I'll sprinkle large grain sugar on it for crunch and top it with miniature
marshmallows. Hoo boy!

==

lol

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 20:33:25 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 11:08:07 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 10:15:59 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:

>>>I made a mushroom and cheese pizza tonight. I made a second one with
>>>lingonberry jam, blueberries, and marshmallows. It's probably too sweet
>>>for
>>>the Brits but just about right for the Hawaiians. I haven't made very many
>>>fruit pies but this is sorta like a fruit pie.

>>This isn't just to sweet for the Brits. This is too sweet for mankind
>>as we know it. And you didn't even check the ingredients of the
>>marshmallows.
>>====
>>
>>Ahh but Hawaiians are not mankind! They are Hawaiian kind with an
>>incredibly sweet tooth)

>All those sweets can't be good for their teeth:
>http://www.gutenberg.org/files/41451...s/illo_461.jpg
>
>===
>
>Their choice! They seem such a happy lot. Why spoil that?

Yes, to each their own.

>Incidentally, your pic didn't open!

I'll have a word with it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 11:08:07 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 10:15:59 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:

>>>I made a mushroom and cheese pizza tonight. I made a second one with
>>>lingonberry jam, blueberries, and marshmallows. It's probably too sweet
>>>for
>>>the Brits but just about right for the Hawaiians. I haven't made very
>>>many
>>>fruit pies but this is sorta like a fruit pie.

>>This isn't just to sweet for the Brits. This is too sweet for mankind
>>as we know it. And you didn't even check the ingredients of the
>>marshmallows.
>>====
>>
>>Ahh but Hawaiians are not mankind! They are Hawaiian kind with an
>>incredibly sweet tooth)

>All those sweets can't be good for their teeth:
>http://www.gutenberg.org/files/41451...s/illo_461.jpg
>
>===
>
>Their choice! They seem such a happy lot. Why spoil that?

Yes, to each their own.

>Incidentally, your pic didn't open!

I'll have a word with it.

==

You mean you haven't already? Pah!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 21:40:03 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message news >
>On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 20:33:25 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 11:08:07 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Ahh but Hawaiians are not mankind! They are Hawaiian kind with an
>>>incredibly sweet tooth)

>>All those sweets can't be good for their teeth:
>>http://www.gutenberg.org/files/41451...s/illo_461.jpg
>>
>>===
>>
>>Their choice! They seem such a happy lot. Why spoil that?

>Yes, to each their own.
>
>>Incidentally, your pic didn't open!

>I'll have a word with it.
>
>==
>
>You mean you haven't already? Pah!

I didn't know it was going to be like that It opens normally here.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
>news >
>On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 20:33:25 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 11:08:07 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Ahh but Hawaiians are not mankind! They are Hawaiian kind with an
>>>incredibly sweet tooth)

>>All those sweets can't be good for their teeth:
>>http://www.gutenberg.org/files/41451...s/illo_461.jpg
>>
>>===
>>
>>Their choice! They seem such a happy lot. Why spoil that?

>Yes, to each their own.
>
>>Incidentally, your pic didn't open!

>I'll have a word with it.
>
>==
>
>You mean you haven't already? Pah!

I didn't know it was going to be like that It opens normally here.

==

You are just too flash!

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 21:54:55 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 21:40:03 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" wrote in message
>>news >>
>>On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 20:33:25 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>"Bruce" wrote in message

>>>All those sweets can't be good for their teeth:
>>>http://www.gutenberg.org/files/41451...s/illo_461.jpg
>>>
>>>===
>>>
>>>Their choice! They seem such a happy lot. Why spoil that?

>>Yes, to each their own.
>>
>>>Incidentally, your pic didn't open!

>>I'll have a word with it.
>>
>>==
>>
>>You mean you haven't already? Pah!

>I didn't know it was going to be like that It opens normally here.
>
>==
>
>You are just too flash!

Now I suddenly get an error message. It's a temperamental picture!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet" > wrote in message
.. .
> In article >, says...

>> > Nearly impossible to buy a good pie these days. Supermarket pies are
>> > nasty, even some bakeries are not very good. We had a place open up
>> > near
>> > us that made excellent pies,but she did not last six months as other
>> > things were not well thought out.
>> >
>> > Homemade apple or peach pie is wonderful

>> I tried a bite of the pie. Tasted no different than what I make.

> IOW your pies are just as bad as a shop pies.
>
> You probably "make pie" by unrolling a packet of factory made ready
> rolled pastry and pouring in some ready-made canned filling. Serve with
> spray-on miracle whip substitute.

Spray on Miracle Whip substitute? Do you mean whipped cream? Who puts that
on apple pie? Cheese or ice cream maybe. I've just never been a pie lover.
Or a sweets lover in general. I really got burned out on pies as a kid. We
lived a few blocks from The House of Pies. They did have a full menu and the
food was good but we rarely ate dinner there. We did have pie there quite
often. I would always try not to get any pie. Finally the waitress convinced
me to try the apple with cheese on top. It was better that way but seriously
I would have preferred just the cheese.

> Splat, another tasty Bove creation lands in the trashbin.

You are forgetting. Food can't go in the trash. I rarely buy pie or any
dessert.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> [...]
>>>but
>>>I'm pretty sure the only times I heard of either one was when people were
>>>insulting it - usually in print. (One humor book described it as a 1970s
>>>dish best forgotten - or something like that.)
>>>
>>>I have to say that I've only seen 20 of the dishes, whether on a
>>>restaurant
>>>menu or at anyone's party.
>>>
>>>And it reminds me of a scene from Chapter 6 in the book "Cheaper by the
>>>Dozen," when Dad, an engineer, says this - in the year 1922:
>>>
>>>I want to teach all of you how to multiply two-digit numbers in your
>>>head,
>>>Dad announced at dinner.
>>>
>>>Not of general interest, said Anne...
>>>
>>>...Those who do not think it is of general interest may leave the table
>>>and
>>>go to their rooms, Dad said coldly, and I understand there is apple pie
>>>for
>>>dessert.
>>>
>>>Nobody left.
>>>
>>>Since everyone now appears to be interested, said Dad, I will explain
>>>how
>>>it's done.
>>>
>>>It was a complicated thing for children to understand and it involved
>>>memorizing the squares of all numbers up to twenty-five. But Dad took it
>>>slowly, and within a couple of months the older children had learned all
>>>the
>>>tricks involved...
>>>

>>>(Something pretty funny and unexpected happens after that!)
>>>

>>>But my point was, that threat about the pie wouldn't work on most kids
>>>nowadays; they'd likely think: "Huh? Why would I want to eat something as
>>>hokey as APPLE PIE?"
>>>
>>>Maybe for breakfast. Not for dessert, when today, almost anyone can get
>>>ice
>>>cream a couple of blocks away. Maybe even a hot fudge sundae.
>>>

>>>Lenona.
>>>
>>>---
>>>
>>>I made the mistake of buying an apple pie. Apparently teens these days
>>>don't
>>>like.

>> ??????
>>
>> I make apple pie all the time for my teenage grandchildren, nieces &
>> nephews, etc. It all gets scarfed down.
>>
>> Perhaps they didn't like it because you *bought* it? Store-bought pies
>> generally suck.
>>
>> Doris
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I make it too, but I would never buy one.

> I was told that cooked apples are yucky. I rarely ever make pie. None of
> us
> are pie lovers. Actually I rarely make or buy any desserts but we were
> having a lot of people over and I was trying to make sure there was
> something for everyone to eat.
>
> ==
>
> We love fruit pies and crumbles ... but only home made. I guess it is how
> you make them.
>
> Overcooked apples yucky? Heh, don't overcook them)

They didn't seem overcooked. None of them would even try the pie. Just said
they didn't like it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 21:40:03 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" wrote in message
>>news >>
>>On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 20:33:25 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>"Bruce" wrote in message

>>>All those sweets can't be good for their teeth:
>>>http://www.gutenberg.org/files/41451...s/illo_461.jpg
>>>
>>>===
>>>
>>>Their choice! They seem such a happy lot. Why spoil that?

>>Yes, to each their own.
>>
>>>Incidentally, your pic didn't open!

>>I'll have a word with it.
>>
>>==
>>
>>You mean you haven't already? Pah!

>I didn't know it was going to be like that It opens normally here.
>
>==
>
>You are just too flash!

Now I suddenly get an error message. It's a temperamental picture!

==

<g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/10/2017 11:53 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 19:24:58 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> And it reminds me of a scene from Chapter 6 in the book "Cheaper by the
>> Dozen," when Dad, an engineer, says this - in the year 1922:
>>
>> I want to teach all of you how to multiply two-digit numbers in your head,
>> Dad announced at dinner.
>>
>> Not of general interest, said Anne...
>>
>> ...Those who do not think it is of general interest may leave the table and
>> go to their rooms, Dad said coldly, and I understand there is apple pie
>> for
>> dessert.
>>
>> Nobody left.
>>
>> Since everyone now appears to be interested, said Dad, I will explain how
>> it's done.
>>
>> It was a complicated thing for children to understand and it involved
>> memorizing the squares of all numbers up to twenty-five. But Dad took it
>> slowly, and within a couple of months the older children had learned all the
>> tricks involved...
>>

>> (Something pretty funny and unexpected happens after that!)
>>

>> But my point was, that threat about the pie wouldn't work on most kids
>> nowadays; they'd likely think: "Huh? Why would I want to eat something as
>> hokey as APPLE PIE?"
>>
>> Maybe for breakfast. Not for dessert, when today, almost anyone can get ice
>> cream a couple of blocks away. Maybe even a hot fudge sundae.
>>

>> Lenona.
>>
>> ---
>>
>> I made the mistake of buying an apple pie. Apparently teens these days don't
>> like.

> ??????
>
> I make apple pie all the time for my teenage grandchildren, nieces &
> nephews, etc. It all gets scarfed down.
>
> Perhaps they didn't like it because you *bought* it? Store-bought pies
> generally suck.
>
> Doris

Having had many a store-bought pie (at work pot lucks and as a guest in
people's homes) I agree with you, Doris. When I've had homemade apple
pie, it was delicious! Cherry pie, too. I'm just not big on desserts
so I don't make or eat them very often.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/11/2017 3:47 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> As to Tuna Noodle Casserole, I can recall my mother making as early
> as the mid-1950s, perhaps earlier.

That's something my mother never made. I don't know why. She was a
newlywed in 1953. It was certainly the era for it! You'd have thought
something like this would have carried through to the 1960's when I was
a kid. Nope, she never made tuna casserole.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message news
On 11/10/2017 11:53 PM, Doris Night wrote:
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 19:24:58 -0800, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>

>> And it reminds me of a scene from Chapter 6 in the book "Cheaper by the
>> Dozen," when Dad, an engineer, says this - in the year 1922:
>>
>> I want to teach all of you how to multiply two-digit numbers in your
>> head,
>> Dad announced at dinner.
>>
>> Not of general interest, said Anne...
>>
>> ...Those who do not think it is of general interest may leave the table
>> and
>> go to their rooms, Dad said coldly, and I understand there is apple pie
>> for
>> dessert.
>>
>> Nobody left.
>>
>> Since everyone now appears to be interested, said Dad, I will explain
>> how
>> it's done.
>>
>> It was a complicated thing for children to understand and it involved
>> memorizing the squares of all numbers up to twenty-five. But Dad took it
>> slowly, and within a couple of months the older children had learned all
>> the
>> tricks involved...
>>

>> (Something pretty funny and unexpected happens after that!)
>>

>> But my point was, that threat about the pie wouldn't work on most kids
>> nowadays; they'd likely think: "Huh? Why would I want to eat something as
>> hokey as APPLE PIE?"
>>
>> Maybe for breakfast. Not for dessert, when today, almost anyone can get
>> ice
>> cream a couple of blocks away. Maybe even a hot fudge sundae.
>>

>> Lenona.
>>
>> ---
>>
>> I made the mistake of buying an apple pie. Apparently teens these days
>> don't
>> like.

> ??????
>
> I make apple pie all the time for my teenage grandchildren, nieces &
> nephews, etc. It all gets scarfed down.
>
> Perhaps they didn't like it because you *bought* it? Store-bought pies
> generally suck.
>
> Doris

Having had many a store-bought pie (at work pot lucks and as a guest in
people's homes) I agree with you, Doris. When I've had homemade apple
pie, it was delicious! Cherry pie, too. I'm just not big on desserts
so I don't make or eat them very often.

Jill

==

I rarely make a pudding/desert for us, but when the kids or the grands
visit, they would NOT be happy if I didn't make them)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 13, 2017 at 8:52:04 AM UTC-6, Jill McQuown wrote:

> On 11/11/2017 3:47 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
> > As to Tuna Noodle Casserole, I can recall my mother making as early
> > as the mid-1950s, perhaps earlier.

> That's something my mother never made. I don't know why. She was a
> newlywed in 1953. It was certainly the era for it! You'd have thought
> something like this would have carried through to the 1960's when I was
> a kid. Nope, she never made tuna casserole.
>
> Jill

It was something that was never served at our house either. First
time I ever had it was at my aunt's house in 1966. I remember the
date as I spent the summer at her house and it was on the table
several times while I was there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, November 13, 2017 at 12:14:04 PM UTC-6, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Reddi Whip is still real cream, not to be confused with Cool Whip.
> There are actually two veresion, one made with light cream and the
> other with regular cream.

Yes, it is.