Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Amish Beef Roast (in foil)

Thanks for the nostalgia, Wayne. ;-)). I and my young-wife friends made this quite
often when we were new to homemaking fifty years ago. None of us ever failed to
have onion soup mix in the cupboard.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

>Thanks for the nostalgia, Wayne. ;-)). I and my young-wife friends made this quite
>often when we were new to homemaking fifty years ago. None of us ever failed to
>have onion soup mix in the cupboard.

I seriously doubt any Amish cooks ever used DISGUSTING onion soup mix
for anything.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Nancy2 wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the nostalgia, Wayne. ;-)). I and my young-wife friends made
>>this quite
>>often when we were new to homemaking fifty years ago. None of us ever
>>failed to
>>have onion soup mix in the cupboard.

> I seriously doubt any Amish cooks ever used DISGUSTING onion soup mix
> for anything.

It's great for cooking and dips, same with Cream of Mushroom soup and Cream
of Chicken soup. I doubt that anyone uses them daily, but they are great
once in awhile.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
> wrote in message
> Nancy2 wrote:
>
>>Thanks for the nostalgia, Wayne. ;-)). I and my young-wife friends made
>>this quite
>>often when we were new to homemaking fifty years ago. None of us ever
>>failed to
>>have onion soup mix in the cupboard.

> I seriously doubt any Amish cooks ever used DISGUSTING onion soup mix
> for anything.

It's great for cooking and dips, same with Cream of Mushroom soup and Cream
of Chicken soup. I doubt that anyone uses them daily, but they are great
once in awhile.

Cheri

==

I have never seen any to buy, but I did copy a recipe for it and I have some
sitting in a jar in my cupboard. I haven't actually used any yet because I
don't know what the use it in Ideas please?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> > wrote in message
>> Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks for the nostalgia, Wayne. ;-)). I and my young-wife friends made
>>>this quite
>>>often when we were new to homemaking fifty years ago. None of us ever
>>>failed to
>>>have onion soup mix in the cupboard.

>> I seriously doubt any Amish cooks ever used DISGUSTING onion soup mix
>> for anything.

> It's great for cooking and dips, same with Cream of Mushroom soup and
> Cream
> of Chicken soup. I doubt that anyone uses them daily, but they are great
> once in awhile.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> I have never seen any to buy, but I did copy a recipe for it and I have
> some
> sitting in a jar in my cupboard. I haven't actually used any yet because
> don't know what the use it in Ideas please?

I use it for some things like dip at Thanksgiving and Christmas, the kids
love it. I am using a packet right now for a luncheon that I'm going to in a
few minutes. I put a blade in pork roast in the oven at 6:00 A.M. this
morning at 275, exactly like Wayne said for the Amish Roast, except a
shorter cooking time, I just took it out a few minutes ago, wonderfully
tender and moist and falling apart. I also made a Saltine tart that I saw
Martha Stewart make. I have never used saltines for a crust, but it turned
out pretty. I will taste it at the luncheon to see if I like the crust.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/8/2017 1:00 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> "Cheri"* wrote in message news >>
>> > wrote in message

>>> I seriously doubt any Amish cooks ever used DISGUSTING onion soup mix
>>> for anything.

>> It's great for cooking and dips, same with Cream of Mushroom soup and
>> Cream
>> of Chicken soup. I doubt that anyone uses them daily, but they are great
>> once in awhile.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I have never seen any to buy, but I did copy a recipe for it and I
>> have some
>> sitting in a jar in my cupboard.* I haven't actually used any yet
>> because I
>> don't know what the use it in* Ideas please?

> I use it for some things like dip at Thanksgiving and Christmas, the
> kids love it. I am using a packet right now for a luncheon that I'm
> going to in a few minutes. I put a blade in pork roast in the oven at
> 6:00 A.M. this morning at 275, exactly like Wayne said for the Amish
> Roast, except a shorter cooking time, I just took it out a few minutes
> ago, wonderfully tender and moist and falling apart. I also made a
> Saltine tart that I saw Martha Stewart make. I have never used saltines
> for a crust, but it turned out pretty. I will taste it at the luncheon
> to see if I like the crust.
>
> Cheri

This tart?

https://www.marthastewart.com/115711...tic-beach-tart

A saltine cracker-crust and lemon-condensed milk filling strike the
perfect balance between salty and sweet. Martha made this recipe on
episode 613 of Martha Bakes.
Makes one 9-inch tart

Looks pretty tasty for sure...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 13:04:28 -0700, Casa de los peregrinos
> wrote:

>On 11/8/2017 1:00 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>>> "Cheri"* wrote in message news >>>
>>> It's great for cooking and dips, same with Cream of Mushroom soup and
>>> Cream
>>> of Chicken soup. I doubt that anyone uses them daily, but they are great
>>> once in awhile.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> I have never seen any to buy, but I did copy a recipe for it and I
>>> have some
>>> sitting in a jar in my cupboard.* I haven't actually used any yet
>>> because I
>>> don't know what the use it in* Ideas please?

>> I use it for some things like dip at Thanksgiving and Christmas, the
>> kids love it. I am using a packet right now for a luncheon that I'm
>> going to in a few minutes. I put a blade in pork roast in the oven at
>> 6:00 A.M. this morning at 275, exactly like Wayne said for the Amish
>> Roast, except a shorter cooking time, I just took it out a few minutes
>> ago, wonderfully tender and moist and falling apart. I also made a
>> Saltine tart that I saw Martha Stewart make. I have never used saltines
>> for a crust, but it turned out pretty. I will taste it at the luncheon
>> to see if I like the crust.
>>
>> Cheri

>This tart?

No, that's Cheri for you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/8/2017 1:30 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> This tart?

> No, that's Cheri for you.

Your snippage begs a larger trim:

http://static.thanhniennews.com/Uplo....jpg?width=840
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> > wrote in message
>> Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks for the nostalgia, Wayne. ;-)). I and my young-wife friends made
>>>this quite
>>>often when we were new to homemaking fifty years ago. None of us ever
>>>failed to
>>>have onion soup mix in the cupboard.

>> I seriously doubt any Amish cooks ever used DISGUSTING onion soup mix
>> for anything.

> It's great for cooking and dips, same with Cream of Mushroom soup and
> Cream
> of Chicken soup. I doubt that anyone uses them daily, but they are great
> once in awhile.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> I have never seen any to buy, but I did copy a recipe for it and I have
> some
> sitting in a jar in my cupboard. I haven't actually used any yet because
> don't know what the use it in Ideas please?

I use it for some things like dip at Thanksgiving and Christmas, the kids
love it. I am using a packet right now for a luncheon that I'm going to in a
few minutes. I put a blade in pork roast in the oven at 6:00 A.M. this
morning at 275, exactly like Wayne said for the Amish Roast, except a
shorter cooking time, I just took it out a few minutes ago, wonderfully
tender and moist and falling apart. I also made a Saltine tart that I saw
Martha Stewart make. I have never used saltines for a crust, but it turned
out pretty. I will taste it at the luncheon to see if I like the crust.

Cheri
==

What kind of dip? Not just dried onion soup I am sure ;-)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> > wrote in message
>> Nancy2 wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks for the nostalgia, Wayne. ;-)). I and my young-wife friends made
>>>this quite
>>>often when we were new to homemaking fifty years ago. None of us ever
>>>failed to
>>>have onion soup mix in the cupboard.

>> I seriously doubt any Amish cooks ever used DISGUSTING onion soup mix
>> for anything.

> It's great for cooking and dips, same with Cream of Mushroom soup and
> Cream
> of Chicken soup. I doubt that anyone uses them daily, but they are great
> once in awhile.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> I have never seen any to buy, but I did copy a recipe for it and I have
> some
> sitting in a jar in my cupboard. I haven't actually used any yet because
> don't know what the use it in Ideas please?

I use it for some things like dip at Thanksgiving and Christmas, the kids
love it. I am using a packet right now for a luncheon that I'm going to in a
few minutes. I put a blade in pork roast in the oven at 6:00 A.M. this
morning at 275, exactly like Wayne said for the Amish Roast, except a
shorter cooking time, I just took it out a few minutes ago, wonderfully
tender and moist and falling apart. I also made a Saltine tart that I saw
Martha Stewart make. I have never used saltines for a crust, but it turned
out pretty. I will taste it at the luncheon to see if I like the crust.

Cheri

==

What does 'blade in pork roast' mean?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 11:50:01 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> What does 'blade in pork roast' mean?
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

It's a pork shoulder with a large and strangely shaped bone in the middle of it. The hunk of meat is called a "Boston butt" stateside. Obviously that's not what the Brits call it. I bought one of these last week. After cutting out that big-ass bone, I made some chili and some pork adobo. I still have about a pound and a half left over which is in the freezer. It's cheap food.

https://www.chowstatic.com/uploads/3...5233_butt1.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 11:50:01 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:

> What does 'blade in pork roast' mean?
>

> --
> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

It's a pork shoulder with a large and strangely shaped bone in the middle of
it. The hunk of meat is called a "Boston butt" stateside. Obviously that's
not what the Brits call it. I bought one of these last week. After cutting
out that big-ass bone, I made some chili and some pork adobo. I still have
about a pound and a half left over which is in the freezer. It's cheap food.

https://www.chowstatic.com/uploads/3...5233_butt1.jpg

===

Ahh thank you. I understand now I was thinking it meant a metal blade ie
knife

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 11:50:01 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> What does 'blade in pork roast' mean?
>>

>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> It's a pork shoulder with a large and strangely shaped bone in the middle of it. The hunk of meat is called a "Boston butt" stateside. Obviously that's not what the Brits call it. I bought one of these last week. After cutting out that big-ass bone, I made some chili and some pork adobo. I still have about a pound and a half left over which is in the freezer. It's cheap food.
>
> https://www.chowstatic.com/uploads/3...5233_butt1.jpg

What do they call it there on your rock?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/8/2017 3:13 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 11:50:01 AM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> What does 'blade in pork roast' mean?
>>

>> --
>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

> It's a pork shoulder with a large and strangely shaped bone in the middle of it. The hunk of meat is called a "Boston butt" stateside. Obviously that's not what the Brits call it. I bought one of these last week. After cutting out that big-ass bone, I made some chili and some pork adobo. I still have about a pound and a half left over which is in the freezer. It's cheap food.
>
> https://www.chowstatic.com/uploads/3...5233_butt1.jpg

It's carnitas waiting to happen!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 08 Nov 2017 02:41:30p, Ophelia told us...
>
>> "Cheri" wrote in message news >>

>>> It's great for cooking and dips, same with Cream of Mushroom soup
>>> and Cream
>>> of Chicken soup. I doubt that anyone uses them daily, but they
>>> are great once in awhile.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> I have never seen any to buy, but I did copy a recipe for it and
>>> I have some sitting in a jar in my cupboard. I haven't actually
>>> used any yet because I
>>> don't know what the use it in Ideas please?

>> I use it for some things like dip at Thanksgiving and Christmas,
>> the kids love it. I am using a packet right now for a luncheon
>> that I'm going to in a few minutes. I put a blade in pork roast in
>> the oven at 6:00 A.M. this morning at 275, exactly like Wayne said
>> for the Amish Roast, except a shorter cooking time, I just took it
>> out a few minutes ago, wonderfully tender and moist and falling
>> apart. I also made a Saltine tart that I saw Martha Stewart make.
>> I have never used saltines for a crust, but it turned out pretty.
>> I will taste it at the luncheon to see if I like the crust.
>>
>> Cheri
>> ==
>>
>> What kind of dip? Not just dried onion soup I am sure ;-)
>>

> Yes, an envelope of Onion Sop Mix. Dried onions with a seasoned
> powdered beeef base.

It's only disgusting to old army/navy cooks, and they are
probably just jealous they weren't issued any.

Read the old beetle bailey and sad sack comic books to get
an idea of these guys

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 9:44:21 AM UTC-6, Sheldon wrote:

> I seriously doubt any Amish cooks ever used DISGUSTING onion soup mix
> for anything.

Honestly, I'd like to know what makes this 'Amish'?

The aluminum foil or is it the onion soup mix?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> > "Cheri" wrote in message news > >
> > wrote in message

> > > I seriously doubt any Amish cooks ever used DISGUSTING onion soup
> > > mix for anything.

> > It's great for cooking and dips, same with Cream of Mushroom soup
> > and Cream of Chicken soup. I doubt that anyone uses them daily,
> > but they are great once in awhile.
> >
> > Cheri
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I have never seen any to buy, but I did copy a recipe for it and I
> > have some sitting in a jar in my cupboard. I haven't actually
> > used any yet because I don't know what the use it in Ideas
> > please?

> I use it for some things like dip at Thanksgiving and Christmas, the
> kids love it. I am using a packet right now for a luncheon that I'm
> going to in a few minutes. I put a blade in pork roast in the oven at
> 6:00 A.M. this morning at 275, exactly like Wayne said for the Amish
> Roast, except a shorter cooking time, I just took it out a few
> minutes ago, wonderfully tender and moist and falling apart. I also
> made a Saltine tart that I saw Martha Stewart make. I have never used
> saltines for a crust, but it turned out pretty. I will taste it at
> the luncheon to see if I like the crust.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> What does 'blade in pork roast' mean?

It's a bone in pork type, blade shaped bone. Looks a bit like a
scapula but doesnt seem to be the right size to be that?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Casa de los peregrinos" > wrote in message
news
> On 11/8/2017 1:00 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> It's great for cooking and dips, same with Cream of Mushroom soup and
>>> Cream
>>> of Chicken soup. I doubt that anyone uses them daily, but they are great
>>> once in awhile.
>>>
>>> Cheri
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> I have never seen any to buy, but I did copy a recipe for it and I have
>>> some
>>> sitting in a jar in my cupboard. I haven't actually used any yet because
>>> don't know what the use it in Ideas please?

>> I use it for some things like dip at Thanksgiving and Christmas, the kids
>> love it. I am using a packet right now for a luncheon that I'm going to
>> in a few minutes. I put a blade in pork roast in the oven at 6:00 A.M.
>> this morning at 275, exactly like Wayne said for the Amish Roast, except
>> a shorter cooking time, I just took it out a few minutes ago, wonderfully
>> tender and moist and falling apart. I also made a Saltine tart that I saw
>> Martha Stewart make. I have never used saltines for a crust, but it
>> turned out pretty. I will taste it at the luncheon to see if I like the
>> crust.
>>
>> Cheri

> This tart?
>
> https://www.marthastewart.com/115711...tic-beach-tart
>
> A saltine cracker-crust and lemon-condensed milk filling strike the
> perfect balance between salty and sweet. Martha made this recipe on
> episode 613 of Martha Bakes.
> Makes one 9-inch tart
>

> Looks pretty tasty for sure...

Yes, it was that tart, and it was very good! I was surprised that the
saltine cracker crust was that good, I could have eaten a lot more than I
did, and none to take home so it worked out.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> "Cheri" wrote in message news >>
>> > wrote in message

>>> I seriously doubt any Amish cooks ever used DISGUSTING onion soup mix
>>> for anything.

>> It's great for cooking and dips, same with Cream of Mushroom soup and
>> Cream
>> of Chicken soup. I doubt that anyone uses them daily, but they are great
>> once in awhile.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I have never seen any to buy, but I did copy a recipe for it and I have
>> some
>> sitting in a jar in my cupboard. I haven't actually used any yet because
>> don't know what the use it in Ideas please?

> I use it for some things like dip at Thanksgiving and Christmas, the kids
> love it. I am using a packet right now for a luncheon that I'm going to in
> few minutes. I put a blade in pork roast in the oven at 6:00 A.M. this
> morning at 275, exactly like Wayne said for the Amish Roast, except a
> shorter cooking time, I just took it out a few minutes ago, wonderfully
> tender and moist and falling apart. I also made a Saltine tart that I saw
> Martha Stewart make. I have never used saltines for a crust, but it turned
> out pretty. I will taste it at the luncheon to see if I like the crust.
>
> Cheri
> ==
>
> What kind of dip? Not just dried onion soup I am sure ;-)

Just mix a package with sour cream, very simple and a recipe from the 50's I
think, but my kids love it and it's something that's always here for
holidays. If you make your own, I think you could just add to taste with the
sour cream. Here it is in two envelopes per package, and I use one envelope
for the dip.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> "Cheri" wrote in message news >>
>> > wrote in message

>>> I seriously doubt any Amish cooks ever used DISGUSTING onion soup mix
>>> for anything.

>> It's great for cooking and dips, same with Cream of Mushroom soup and
>> Cream
>> of Chicken soup. I doubt that anyone uses them daily, but they are great
>> once in awhile.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I have never seen any to buy, but I did copy a recipe for it and I have
>> some
>> sitting in a jar in my cupboard. I haven't actually used any yet because
>> don't know what the use it in Ideas please?

> I use it for some things like dip at Thanksgiving and Christmas, the kids
> love it. I am using a packet right now for a luncheon that I'm going to in
> few minutes. I put a blade in pork roast in the oven at 6:00 A.M. this
> morning at 275, exactly like Wayne said for the Amish Roast, except a
> shorter cooking time, I just took it out a few minutes ago, wonderfully
> tender and moist and falling apart. I also made a Saltine tart that I saw
> Martha Stewart make. I have never used saltines for a crust, but it turned
> out pretty. I will taste it at the luncheon to see if I like the crust.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> What does 'blade in pork roast' mean?

Bone in.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 12:37:53 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:

> What do they call it there on your rock?

We call it pork butt. It's not the most original name but the word "butt" just makes the Hawaiians giggle.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 1:09:01 PM UTC-10, Casa de los peregrinos wrote:

> It's carnitas waiting to happen!

It's a great piece of meat that poor and humble folks turn into unimaginably delicious grub. Roast pork with gravy was my favorite plate lunch for years at the lunch wagon across from the street where I worked. I would frequently grill the cook about how he made his roast pork. He gave me plenty of details but I never got it right. That's the breaks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 12:00:34 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:
snip

I put a blade in pork roast in the oven at 6:00 A.M. this
>morning at 275, exactly like Wayne said for the Amish Roast, except a
>shorter cooking time, I just took it out a few minutes ago, wonderfully
>tender and moist and falling apart.

snip
>Cheri

I did a pork butt in the oven, uncovered, with Lipton onion soup mix
last year.
http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...0yg7o.jpg.html
It turned out very tasty and moist
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.45...

On Wed 08 Nov 2017 02:41:30p, Ophelia told us...

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> "Cheri" wrote in message news >>
>> > wrote in message

>>> I seriously doubt any Amish cooks ever used DISGUSTING onion
>>> soup mix for anything.

>> It's great for cooking and dips, same with Cream of Mushroom soup
>> and Cream
>> of Chicken soup. I doubt that anyone uses them daily, but they
>> are great once in awhile.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I have never seen any to buy, but I did copy a recipe for it and
>> I have some sitting in a jar in my cupboard. I haven't actually
>> used any yet because I
>> don't know what the use it in Ideas please?

> I use it for some things like dip at Thanksgiving and Christmas,
> the kids love it. I am using a packet right now for a luncheon
> that I'm going to in a few minutes. I put a blade in pork roast in
> the oven at 6:00 A.M. this morning at 275, exactly like Wayne said
> for the Amish Roast, except a shorter cooking time, I just took it
> out a few minutes ago, wonderfully tender and moist and falling
> apart. I also made a Saltine tart that I saw Martha Stewart make.
> I have never used saltines for a crust, but it turned out pretty.
> I will taste it at the luncheon to see if I like the crust.
>
> Cheri
> ==
>
> What kind of dip? Not just dried onion soup I am sure ;-)

Yes, an envelope of Onion Sop Mix. Dried onions with a seasoned
powdered beeef base.

Wayne Boatwright
==

So, you dip (whatever) into a bowl of dried onions ...??

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 12:37:53 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:

> What do they call it there on your rock?

We call it pork butt. It's not the most original name but the word "butt"
just makes the Hawaiians giggle.

==

We call it pork shoulder.

To us, butt in our behind

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
> > "Cheri" wrote in message news > >
> > wrote in message

> > > I seriously doubt any Amish cooks ever used DISGUSTING onion soup
> > > mix for anything.

> > It's great for cooking and dips, same with Cream of Mushroom soup
> > and Cream of Chicken soup. I doubt that anyone uses them daily,
> > but they are great once in awhile.
> >
> > Cheri
> >
> > ==
> >
> > I have never seen any to buy, but I did copy a recipe for it and I
> > have some sitting in a jar in my cupboard. I haven't actually
> > used any yet because I don't know what the use it in Ideas
> > please?

> I use it for some things like dip at Thanksgiving and Christmas, the
> kids love it. I am using a packet right now for a luncheon that I'm
> going to in a few minutes. I put a blade in pork roast in the oven at
> 6:00 A.M. this morning at 275, exactly like Wayne said for the Amish
> Roast, except a shorter cooking time, I just took it out a few
> minutes ago, wonderfully tender and moist and falling apart. I also
> made a Saltine tart that I saw Martha Stewart make. I have never used
> saltines for a crust, but it turned out pretty. I will taste it at
> the luncheon to see if I like the crust.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> What does 'blade in pork roast' mean?

It's a bone in pork type, blade shaped bone. Looks a bit like a
scapula but doesnt seem to be the right size to be that?

==

Yes, I got it now Thanks.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news

> What kind of dip? Not just dried onion soup I am sure ;-)

Just mix a package with sour cream, very simple and a recipe from the 50's I
think, but my kids love it and it's something that's always here for
holidays. If you make your own, I think you could just add to taste with the
sour cream. Here it is in two envelopes per package, and I use one envelope
for the dip.

Cheri

==

Ahh so the onion soup mix is mixed in with sour cream! Thanks)

Mine isn't in envelopes, so I guess I would just do as you say, add to
taste

What do you dip into it?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
> "Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> "Cheri" wrote in message news >>
>> > wrote in message

>>> I seriously doubt any Amish cooks ever used DISGUSTING onion soup mix
>>> for anything.

>> It's great for cooking and dips, same with Cream of Mushroom soup and
>> Cream
>> of Chicken soup. I doubt that anyone uses them daily, but they are great
>> once in awhile.
>>
>> Cheri
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I have never seen any to buy, but I did copy a recipe for it and I have
>> some
>> sitting in a jar in my cupboard. I haven't actually used any yet because
>> don't know what the use it in Ideas please?

> I use it for some things like dip at Thanksgiving and Christmas, the kids
> love it. I am using a packet right now for a luncheon that I'm going to in
> few minutes. I put a blade in pork roast in the oven at 6:00 A.M. this
> morning at 275, exactly like Wayne said for the Amish Roast, except a
> shorter cooking time, I just took it out a few minutes ago, wonderfully
> tender and moist and falling apart. I also made a Saltine tart that I saw
> Martha Stewart make. I have never used saltines for a crust, but it turned
> out pretty. I will taste it at the luncheon to see if I like the crust.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> What does 'blade in pork roast' mean?

Bone in.

Cheri

==

Aye, thanks)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 12:00:34 -0800, "Cheri" >
wrote:
snip

I put a blade in pork roast in the oven at 6:00 A.M. this
>morning at 275, exactly like Wayne said for the Amish Roast, except a
>shorter cooking time, I just took it out a few minutes ago, wonderfully
>tender and moist and falling apart.

snip
>Cheri

I did a pork butt in the oven, uncovered, with Lipton onion soup mix
last year.
http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...0yg7o.jpg.html
It turned out very tasty and moist
Janet US

==

It won't open for me, but it sounds good

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, 9 November 2017 04:15:10 UTC-6, Ophelia wrote:
> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
>
> > What kind of dip? Not just dried onion soup I am sure ;-)

> Just mix a package with sour cream, very simple and a recipe from the 50's I
> think, but my kids love it and it's something that's always here for
> holidays. If you make your own, I think you could just add to taste with the
> sour cream. Here it is in two envelopes per package, and I use one envelope
> for the dip.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> Ahh so the onion soup mix is mixed in with sour cream! Thanks)
>
> Mine isn't in envelopes, so I guess I would just do as you say, add to
> taste
>
> What do you dip into it?

Ridged crisps...

Actually, "California Dip" is a 50's thing, Ms. O:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/French_onion_dip

"French onion dip or California dip is an American dip typically made with a base of sour cream and flavored with minced onion, and usually served with potato chips as chips and dip.

French onion dip made of sour cream and instant onion soup was created by a French man in Los Angeles in 1954 by an unknown cook. The recipe spread quickly and was printed in a local newspaper. The Lipton company promoted this mixture on the television show Arthur Godfrey's Talent Scouts in 1955, and early on, it was known as "Lipton California Dip", but soon simply as "California Dip" A Lipton advertising campaign promoted it on television and in supermarkets. The recipe was added to the Lipton instant onion soup package in 1958. The name "French onion dip" began to be used in the 1960s, and became more popular than "California dip" in the 1990s.

Preparation:

The original recipe consisted of sour cream and dehydrated onion soup mix.
There are now many mass-produced, pre-mixed versions, such as Ruffles French Onion Dip and Frito-Lay French Onion Dip. Commercially prepared products include additional ingredients to thicken, stabilize, and preserve the mixture.

Home-made versions may use caramelized onions.

Serving:

French onion dip is often served at parties and as a "classic holiday party offering". It has also been described as "an American classic".
It may also be used on other foods, such as hamburgers, sandwiches and tacos.

Variants:

Alternative bases include mayonnaise and cream cheese. Common flavorings are onion salt, salt, pepper,onion powder, garlic, garlic powder, parsley, chives, Worcestershire sauce and others.

Worldwide:

It is now also popular in New Zealand, where it is made with reduced cream and called "Kiwi Dip"..."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 12:00:34 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
> snip
>
> I put a blade in pork roast in the oven at 6:00 A.M. this
>>morning at 275, exactly like Wayne said for the Amish Roast, except a
>>shorter cooking time, I just took it out a few minutes ago, wonderfully
>>tender and moist and falling apart.

> snip
>>Cheri

> I did a pork butt in the oven, uncovered, with Lipton onion soup mix
> last year.
> http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...0yg7o.jpg.html
> It turned out very tasty and moist
> Janet US

Very tasty.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>
> On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 12:37:53 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:
>>
>> What do they call it there on your rock?

> We call it pork butt. It's not the most original name but the word "butt"
> just makes the Hawaiians giggle.
>
> ==
>
> We call it pork shoulder.
>
> To us, butt in our behind

We call it blade in pork roast.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Cheri" wrote in message news >
>
>> What kind of dip? Not just dried onion soup I am sure ;-)

> Just mix a package with sour cream, very simple and a recipe from the 50's
> think, but my kids love it and it's something that's always here for
> holidays. If you make your own, I think you could just add to taste with
> the
> sour cream. Here it is in two envelopes per package, and I use one
> envelope
> for the dip.
>
> Cheri
>
> ==
>
> Ahh so the onion soup mix is mixed in with sour cream! Thanks)
>
> Mine isn't in envelopes, so I guess I would just do as you say, add to
> taste
>
> What do you dip into it?

Anything you want to, chips, veggies, etc. :0

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/8/2017 9:08 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Casa de los peregrinos" > wrote in message
> news

>>> I use it for some things like dip at Thanksgiving and Christmas, the
>>> kids love it. I am using a packet right now for a luncheon that I'm
>>> going to in a few minutes. I put a blade in pork roast in the oven at
>>> 6:00 A.M. this morning at 275, exactly like Wayne said for the Amish
>>> Roast, except a shorter cooking time, I just took it out a few
>>> minutes ago, wonderfully tender and moist and falling apart. I also
>>> made a Saltine tart that I saw Martha Stewart make. I have never used
>>> saltines for a crust, but it turned out pretty. I will taste it at
>>> the luncheon to see if I like the crust.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> This tart?
>>
>> https://www.marthastewart.com/115711...tic-beach-tart
>>
>> A saltine cracker-crust and lemon-condensed milk filling strike the
>> perfect balance between salty and sweet. Martha made this recipe on
>> episode 613 of Martha Bakes.
>> Makes one 9-inch tart
>>

>> Looks pretty tasty for sure...

> Yes, it was that tart, and it was very good! I was surprised that the
> saltine cracker crust was that good, I could have eaten a lot more than
> I did, and none to take home so it worked out.
>
> Cheri

I saw that segment some years back and thought it was a pretty dish,
glad to hear it met the taste test!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/8/2017 11:05 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 12:37:53 PM UTC-10, Hank Rogers wrote:
>>
>> What do they call it there on your rock?

> We call it pork butt. It's not the most original name but the word "butt" just makes the Hawaiians giggle.

That's the former mainstay name, before the PC crowd took on meat cutters...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/8/2017 11:16 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, November 8, 2017 at 1:09:01 PM UTC-10, Casa de los peregrinos wrote:
>>
>> It's carnitas waiting to happen!

> It's a great piece of meat that poor and humble folks turn into unimaginably delicious grub. Roast pork with gravy was my favorite plate lunch for years at the lunch wagon across from the street where I worked. I would frequently grill the cook about how he made his roast pork. He gave me plenty of details but I never got it right. That's the breaks.

I've had fantastic luck with a Filipino style marinade that relies on 7UP:

http://www.filipino-food-lovers.com/filipino-pork-bbq/

Ingredients:
2 Lbs. of Pork butt or belly (if using pork belly remove the skin)
1 Cup of soy sauce
1 Whole garlic peeled & smashed
1 Small onion minced
2 Lemons
½ Cup of 7UP
1 Tsp. Ground black pepper
5 Tbs. Dark brown sugar
1 Cup of Banana sauce (ketchup)
1 Tsp. MSG (optional)

Greta for skewers or a pork butt roast too!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/9/2017 12:13 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 12:00:34 -0800, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
> snip
>
> I put a blade in pork roast in the oven at 6:00 A.M. this
>> morning at 275, exactly like Wayne said for the Amish Roast, except a
>> shorter cooking time, I just took it out a few minutes ago, wonderfully
>> tender and moist and falling apart.

> snip
>> Cheri

> I did a pork butt in the oven, uncovered, with Lipton onion soup mix
> last year.
> http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...0yg7o.jpg.html
> It turned out very tasty and moist
> Janet US

Darn it, could not get that page to load!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 10:05:45 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
79.45...

>On Wed 08 Nov 2017 02:41:30p, Ophelia told us...
>
>> "Cheri" wrote in message news

snip

>> I use it for some things like dip at Thanksgiving and Christmas,
>> the kids love it. I am using a packet right now for a luncheon
>> that I'm going to in a few minutes. I put a blade in pork roast in
>> the oven at 6:00 A.M. this morning at 275, exactly like Wayne said
>> for the Amish Roast, except a shorter cooking time, I just took it
>> out a few minutes ago, wonderfully tender and moist and falling
>> apart. I also made a Saltine tart that I saw Martha Stewart make.
>> I have never used saltines for a crust, but it turned out pretty.
>> I will taste it at the luncheon to see if I like the crust.
>>
>> Cheri
>> ==
>>
>> What kind of dip? Not just dried onion soup I am sure ;-)
>>

>Yes, an envelope of Onion Sop Mix. Dried onions with a seasoned
>powdered beeef base.
>

> Wayne Boatwright
>==
>
>So, you dip (whatever) into a bowl of dried onions ...??

Recipe for California Dip: One pint of sour cream, one package of
Lipton Onion soup mix. Stir the soup mix into the sour cream and let
sit for 30-60 minutes to hydrate and meld. Stir. Add milk if needed
to thin to your preferred consistency. Use it as a dip for chips and
crudites.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 9 Nov 2017 10:14:55 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
.. .

>On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 12:00:34 -0800, "Cheri" >
>wrote:
>snip
>
>I put a blade in pork roast in the oven at 6:00 A.M. this
>>morning at 275, exactly like Wayne said for the Amish Roast, except a
>>shorter cooking time, I just took it out a few minutes ago, wonderfully
>>tender and moist and falling apart.

>snip
>>Cheri

>I did a pork butt in the oven, uncovered, with Lipton onion soup mix
>last year.
>http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...0yg7o.jpg.html
>It turned out very tasty and moist
>Janet US
>
>==
>
>It won't open for me, but it sounds good

try this and let me know if I have troubles
http://s1171.photobucket.com/user/ge...ax47m.jpg.html
Janet US