Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Amish Beef Roast (in foil)

On Friday, November 10, 2017 at 9:09:12 AM UTC-6, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 10:00:39 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
> snip
> >
> >I have noticed that Usians have a lot of dipping pots on the table. It's
> >not something I do
> >

> I don't understand this comment.
> Janet US

I'm not sure about the 'dipping pots' either so I'm going to assume
OhFeelMe is referring to different dips and chips on a table.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, November 10, 2017 at 1:27:33 PM UTC-5, Ophelia wrote:
> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 10:00:39 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
> snip
> >
> >I have noticed that Usians have a lot of dipping pots on the table. It's
> >not something I do
> >

> I don't understand this comment.
> Janet US
> ==
>
> Sorry. You have 'dips'. You have something in a small pot and you dip
> things in it to eat.

Not so much at dinner. More common at a stand-up party, or
something casual like having people over to watch sports on
television. Dips and things to dip in them are much easier
than individual canapes.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
> news >
> Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > "Cheri" wrote in message news > >
> >
> >> What kind of dip? Not just dried onion soup I am sure ;-)

> > Just mix a package with sour cream, very simple and a recipe from
> > the 50's I think, but my kids love it and it's something that's
> > always here for holidays. If you make your own, I think you could
> > just add to taste with the sour cream. Here it is in two envelopes
> > per package, and I use one envelope for the dip.
> >
> > Cheri
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Ahh so the onion soup mix is mixed in with sour cream! Thanks)
> >
> > Mine isn't in envelopes, so I guess I would just do as you say, add
> > to taste
> >
> > What do you dip into it?

> Anything. Chips, veggies, chicken wings even. When we do a group meal
> (neighbors in as guests), we have it on a center spot with a spoon and
> you dip out what you want to a personal dipping bowl at your end and
> use as you like.
>
> Carol
>
> ==
>
> I have noticed that Usians have a lot of dipping pots on the table.
> It's not something I do

I think it's a 'melting pot nation' effect. So many traditions from so
many places, you'll see just about all of them in one area or another.
It's probably also related to what is called 'family style eating'
(also called Farm style) where the plates are loaded at the table from
central larger bowls and plates.

If you've seen the movie 'Twister' then the team of Twister chasers
stop with a family friend and she feeds the team in classic family
style. They don't have any actual dipping pots at that one, but I bet
if she served hot wings as an option, you'd have seen a dipping pot of
blue cheese dressing or something else like a sour cream buttermilk one
with spices.

If you fix a 'Mexican' type of meal, almost sure to have at least one
type of chip dip (Tomato salsa and often a sourcream and buttermilk
alternative with green chiles at least here).

Japanese meal? Individual dipping bowls for Soy sauce (and similar
items) to 'fill as you like'. (It's rude there to pour soy sauce on a
dish unless it's fast food and the sauce was in a packet, instead you
dip your chopsick of food into the individual bowl).

There's some others too that are native American and involve more of a
'dipping spice' where you add your own from a central bowl to your
dish. I think there are other cultures that do that too. It's more
elaborate than a salt cellar ;-). I seem to recall India does
something like that? Little dishes of bird peppers and such where you
add your desired amount to your food from a central dish.

Anyways, hope that helps! Not all here will have seen all those
variations but there's close to 100% chance all have seen at least one
of them.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 10:00:39 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
> snip
> >
> > I have noticed that Usians have a lot of dipping pots on the table.
> > It's not something I do
> >

> I don't understand this comment.
> Janet US

It's ok Janet, it's a UK translation to call it a dipping pot. (I've
seen it before called that by UK folks in other social media). We
don't do it (USA folks or me) with all meals but it can be very
ethnically determined.

As far as I know, we'd mostly call them bowls and it's really common
where I have lived, to have individual ones where you dipped some out
to your own small one or if thick enough to not run, to your plate.

Here's one query, I wonder if the UK uses the term 'bread plate'?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 18:16:47 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
.. .

>On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 10:00:39 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>snip
>>
>>I have noticed that Usians have a lot of dipping pots on the table. It's
>>not something I do
>>

>I don't understand this comment.
>Janet US
>==
>
>Sorry. You have 'dips'. You have something in a small pot and you dip
>things in it to eat.

The only time that would happen here would be if we had people over
for drinks and nibbles or if a bunch of people had gathered to watch a
game. There would be one bowl of dip or one bowl of salsa.
Pre-holiday dinner there is more likely a dish of crudites and maybe
some bits of cheese. I suppose there are people who do more than that
but I don't know any. Do you not put out snacks when you have people
over to your house for those kinds of events?
Janet US

===

Yes of course) I put out a lot of snacks. but not dips)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

> [...]

alternative with green chiles at least here).

Japanese meal? Individual dipping bowls for Soy sauce (and similar
items) to 'fill as you like'. (It's rude there to pour soy sauce on a
dish unless it's fast food and the sauce was in a packet, instead you
dip your chopsick of food into the individual bowl).

There's some others too that are native American and involve more of a
'dipping spice' where you add your own from a central bowl to your
dish. I think there are other cultures that do that too. It's more
elaborate than a salt cellar ;-). I seem to recall India does
something like that? Little dishes of bird peppers and such where you
add your desired amount to your food from a central dish.

Anyways, hope that helps! Not all here will have seen all those
variations but there's close to 100% chance all have seen at least one

Yes, in India they all serve themselves from dishes, but it is the dips I
was thinking of. Thanks anyway

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 10:00:39 -0000, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
> snip
> >
> > I have noticed that Usians have a lot of dipping pots on the table.
> > It's not something I do
> >

> I don't understand this comment.
> Janet US

It's ok Janet, it's a UK translation to call it a dipping pot. (I've
seen it before called that by UK folks in other social media). We
don't do it (USA folks or me) with all meals but it can be very
ethnically determined.

As far as I know, we'd mostly call them bowls and it's really common
where I have lived, to have individual ones where you dipped some out
to your own small one or if thick enough to not run, to your plate.

Here's one query, I wonder if the UK uses the term 'bread plate'?

==

Um maybe. It isn't a term I use but who knows

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.45...

On Fri 10 Nov 2017 11:18:39a, Ophelia told us...

> "Gary" wrote in message ...
>
> Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> I have noticed that Usians have a lot of dipping pots on the
>> table. It's not something I do

> Not really so much with USAian people. Try eating at an authentic
> asian restaurant for many dipping bowls on a table. And it's a
> good thing too, imo....
>
> I would love to be able to cook that way but such a pain in the
> ass to prep so many things. Not something you want to do when you
> live alone or with one other. Have a large family? Yes.
>
> ==
>
> Ok

If you go to a really good Indian restaurant in the US and order a
curry, there are often anywhere from 7 to 12 "condiments" in small
bowls of items to be added to your plate of curry. Hence, the term
"12 boy curry". Long ago in India each condiment was offered to each
diner by a separate serving boy.

Wayne Boatwright

===

Well, not when I was there, but I guess it was too long ago.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 14:09:45 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 10:00:39 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>> snip
>> >
>> > I have noticed that Usians have a lot of dipping pots on the table.
>> > It's not something I do
>> >

>> I don't understand this comment.
>> Janet US

>It's ok Janet, it's a UK translation to call it a dipping pot. (I've
>seen it before called that by UK folks in other social media). We
>don't do it (USA folks or me) with all meals but it can be very
>ethnically determined.
>
>As far as I know, we'd mostly call them bowls and it's really common
>where I have lived, to have individual ones where you dipped some out
>to your own small one or if thick enough to not run, to your plate.
>
>Here's one query, I wonder if the UK uses the term 'bread plate'?

My vocabulary is fine and I understand the term and concept. I was
questioning the comment not the words.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 14:09:45 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

> >Here's one query, I wonder if the UK uses the term 'bread plate'?

We say side plate.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> [...]

> dish unless it's fast food and the sauce was in a packet, instead you
> dip your chopsick of food into the individual bowl).
>
> There's some others too that are native American and involve more of a
> 'dipping spice' where you add your own from a central bowl to your
> dish. I think there are other cultures that do that too. It's more
> elaborate than a salt cellar ;-). I seem to recall India does
> something like that? Little dishes of bird peppers and such where you
> add your desired amount to your food from a central dish.
>
> Anyways, hope that helps! Not all here will have seen all those
> variations but there's close to 100% chance all have seen at least one
> of them.
>
> Carol
>
> ==
>
> Yes, in India they all serve themselves from dishes, but it is the

No probelm and i may have misunderstood you too. Our various dips
(that we would call dips) tend to be party stuff before dinner. Then
there are others with dinner.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 10:00:39 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:
> > snip
> > >
> >> I have noticed that Usians have a lot of dipping pots on the table.
> >> It's not something I do
> > >

> > I don't understand this comment.
> > Janet US

> It's ok Janet, it's a UK translation to call it a dipping pot. (I've
> seen it before called that by UK folks in other social media). We
> don't do it (USA folks or me) with all meals but it can be very
> ethnically determined.
>
> As far as I know, we'd mostly call them bowls and it's really common
> where I have lived, to have individual ones where you dipped some out
> to your own small one or if thick enough to not run, to your plate.
>
> Here's one query, I wonder if the UK uses the term 'bread plate'?
>
> ==
>
> Um maybe. It isn't a term I use but who knows

Ok, not sure how universal this one is in the USA but it's a little
plate for your own bread portion. The bread may be in a bowl at the
center of the table and you take your piece back to your own bread
plate (separate from your larger dinner plate).

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Janet wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 14:09:45 -0600, "cshenk" >
> > wrote:

> > > Here's one query, I wonder if the UK uses the term 'bread plate'?
> > >

> We say side plate.
>
> Janet UK

Ah! Works well! Same thing afterall!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Lil' Wayne Bloatwright wrote:

> If you go to a really good Indian restaurant in the US and order a
> curry, there are often anywhere from 7 to 12 "condiments" in small
> bowls of items to be added to your plate of curry. Hence, the term
> "12 boy curry". Long ago in India each condiment was offered to each
> diner by a separate serving boy.

Soooo...you are on the sex offender list in India, too, Lil' Wayne...???

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 14:09:45 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 10:00:39 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>> wrote:
>> snip
>> >
>> > I have noticed that Usians have a lot of dipping pots on the table.
>> > It's not something I do
>> >

>> I don't understand this comment.
>> Janet US

>It's ok Janet, it's a UK translation to call it a dipping pot. (I've
>seen it before called that by UK folks in other social media). We
>don't do it (USA folks or me) with all meals but it can be very
>ethnically determined.
>
>As far as I know, we'd mostly call them bowls and it's really common
>where I have lived, to have individual ones where you dipped some out
>to your own small one or if thick enough to not run, to your plate.
>
>Here's one query, I wonder if the UK uses the term 'bread plate'?

My vocabulary is fine and I understand the term and concept. I was
questioning the comment not the words.

==

I used 'pot' because that is what came to mind when I was describing it but
I can't say it is common usage.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 10:00:39 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > > wrote:
> > snip
> > >
> >> I have noticed that Usians have a lot of dipping pots on the table.
> >> It's not something I do
> > >

> > I don't understand this comment.
> > Janet US

> It's ok Janet, it's a UK translation to call it a dipping pot. (I've
> seen it before called that by UK folks in other social media). We
> don't do it (USA folks or me) with all meals but it can be very
> ethnically determined.
>
> As far as I know, we'd mostly call them bowls and it's really common
> where I have lived, to have individual ones where you dipped some out
> to your own small one or if thick enough to not run, to your plate.
>
> Here's one query, I wonder if the UK uses the term 'bread plate'?
>
> ==
>
> Um maybe. It isn't a term I use but who knows

Ok, not sure how universal this one is in the USA but it's a little
plate for your own bread portion. The bread may be in a bowl at the
center of the table and you take your piece back to your own bread
plate (separate from your larger dinner plate).

==

Oh you mean 'side plate'.

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> I used 'pot' because that is what came to mind when I was describing it
> but I can't say it is common usage.

I think either one works, dipping pot or bowl.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote in message news
"Ophelia" > wrote in message

> I used 'pot' because that is what came to mind when I was describing it
> but I can't say it is common usage.

I think either one works, dipping pot or bowl.

Cheri

==

Works for me)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 11:41:34 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
.. .

>On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 14:09:45 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>>U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 10:00:39 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>>> wrote:
>>> snip

>>> I don't understand this comment.
>>> Janet US

>>It's ok Janet, it's a UK translation to call it a dipping pot. (I've
>>seen it before called that by UK folks in other social media). We
>>don't do it (USA folks or me) with all meals but it can be very
>>ethnically determined.
>>
>>As far as I know, we'd mostly call them bowls and it's really common
>>where I have lived, to have individual ones where you dipped some out
>>to your own small one or if thick enough to not run, to your plate.
>>
>>Here's one query, I wonder if the UK uses the term 'bread plate'?

>My vocabulary is fine and I understand the term and concept. I was
>questioning the comment not the words.
>
>==
>
>I used 'pot' because that is what came to mind when I was describing it but
>I can't say it is common usage.

what I was questioning was where did you get the idea that folks in
the US have "a lot of dipping pots on the table' ? I never have one
dipping pot on the table Well, I take that back. If I am serving
something vaguely Asian, I might provide little sauce (1/2 cup or
less) dish on each plate for the individual to dip whatever the food
is. Anything else is dressed in the kitchen for service. I didn't
want to sound confrontational. I just wondered what you were
envisioning.
Please Carol, do not get involved. I was asking Ophelia what she
meant.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
.. .

>On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 14:09:45 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>>U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 10:00:39 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>>> wrote:
>>> snip

>>> I don't understand this comment.
>>> Janet US

>>It's ok Janet, it's a UK translation to call it a dipping pot. (I've
>>seen it before called that by UK folks in other social media). We
>>don't do it (USA folks or me) with all meals but it can be very
>>ethnically determined.
>>
>>As far as I know, we'd mostly call them bowls and it's really common
>>where I have lived, to have individual ones where you dipped some out
>>to your own small one or if thick enough to not run, to your plate.
>>
>>Here's one query, I wonder if the UK uses the term 'bread plate'?

>My vocabulary is fine and I understand the term and concept. I was
>questioning the comment not the words.
>
>==
>
>I used 'pot' because that is what came to mind when I was describing it but
>I can't say it is common usage.

what I was questioning was where did you get the idea that folks in
the US have "a lot of dipping pots on the table' ? I never have one
dipping pot on the table Well, I take that back. If I am serving
something vaguely Asian, I might provide little sauce (1/2 cup or
less) dish on each plate for the individual to dip whatever the food
is. Anything else is dressed in the kitchen for service. I didn't
want to sound confrontational. I just wondered what you were
envisioning.
Please Carol, do not get involved. I was asking Ophelia what she
meant.
Janet US

==

Ahh ... I have seen a lot of people here mention the 'pots/bowls' and
'dipping' and I supposed they were the norm.

Apologies if I got that wrong.

Always difficult to define things like that in a chat group

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 15:47:35 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
.. .

>On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 11:41:34 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
. ..

>>>It's ok Janet, it's a UK translation to call it a dipping pot. (I've
>>>seen it before called that by UK folks in other social media). We
>>>don't do it (USA folks or me) with all meals but it can be very
>>>ethnically determined.
>>>
>>>As far as I know, we'd mostly call them bowls and it's really common
>>>where I have lived, to have individual ones where you dipped some out
>>>to your own small one or if thick enough to not run, to your plate.
>>>
>>>Here's one query, I wonder if the UK uses the term 'bread plate'?

>>My vocabulary is fine and I understand the term and concept. I was
>>questioning the comment not the words.
>>
>>==
>>
>>I used 'pot' because that is what came to mind when I was describing it but
>>I can't say it is common usage.

>what I was questioning was where did you get the idea that folks in
>the US have "a lot of dipping pots on the table' ? I never have one
>dipping pot on the table Well, I take that back. If I am serving
>something vaguely Asian, I might provide little sauce (1/2 cup or
>less) dish on each plate for the individual to dip whatever the food
>is. Anything else is dressed in the kitchen for service. I didn't
>want to sound confrontational. I just wondered what you were
>envisioning.
>Please Carol, do not get involved. I was asking Ophelia what she
>meant.
>Janet US
>
>==
>
>Ahh ... I have seen a lot of people here mention the 'pots/bowls' and
>'dipping' and I supposed they were the norm.
>
>Apologies if I got that wrong.
>
>Always difficult to define things like that in a chat group

again, it wasn't the term pots that had me wondering. It was the 'lot
of on the table.' That had me visualizing a half dozen or more little
pots always on the dinner table? Did we say something that led to
that impression?
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

news
wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
.. .

>On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 11:41:34 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
. ..

>>>It's ok Janet, it's a UK translation to call it a dipping pot. (I've
>>>seen it before called that by UK folks in other social media). We
>>>don't do it (USA folks or me) with all meals but it can be very
>>>ethnically determined.
>>>
>>>As far as I know, we'd mostly call them bowls and it's really common
>>>where I have lived, to have individual ones where you dipped some out
>>>to your own small one or if thick enough to not run, to your plate.
>>>
>>>Here's one query, I wonder if the UK uses the term 'bread plate'?

>>My vocabulary is fine and I understand the term and concept. I was
>>questioning the comment not the words.
>>
>>==
>>
>>I used 'pot' because that is what came to mind when I was describing it
>>but
>>I can't say it is common usage.

>what I was questioning was where did you get the idea that folks in
>the US have "a lot of dipping pots on the table' ? I never have one
>dipping pot on the table Well, I take that back. If I am serving
>something vaguely Asian, I might provide little sauce (1/2 cup or
>less) dish on each plate for the individual to dip whatever the food
>is. Anything else is dressed in the kitchen for service. I didn't
>want to sound confrontational. I just wondered what you were
>envisioning.
>Please Carol, do not get involved. I was asking Ophelia what she
>meant.
>Janet US
>
>==
>
>Ahh ... I have seen a lot of people here mention the 'pots/bowls' and
>'dipping' and I supposed they were the norm.
>
>Apologies if I got that wrong.
>
>Always difficult to define things like that in a chat group

again, it wasn't the term pots that had me wondering. It was the 'lot
of on the table.' That had me visualizing a half dozen or more little
pots always on the dinner table? Did we say something that led to
that impression?
Janet US

==

Someone must have That is what I thought was the norm, although not
necessarily on the dinner table.

Perhaps it was several people discussing it

Anyway. The earth is still going round ))

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 17:59:06 -0000, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>news >
>On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 15:47:35 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
. ..

>>On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 11:41:34 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:

>>>My vocabulary is fine and I understand the term and concept. I was
>>>questioning the comment not the words.
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>I used 'pot' because that is what came to mind when I was describing it
>>>but
>>>I can't say it is common usage.

>>what I was questioning was where did you get the idea that folks in
>>the US have "a lot of dipping pots on the table' ? I never have one
>>dipping pot on the table Well, I take that back. If I am serving
>>something vaguely Asian, I might provide little sauce (1/2 cup or
>>less) dish on each plate for the individual to dip whatever the food
>>is. Anything else is dressed in the kitchen for service. I didn't
>>want to sound confrontational. I just wondered what you were
>>envisioning.
>>Please Carol, do not get involved. I was asking Ophelia what she
>>meant.
>>Janet US
>>
>>==
>>
>>Ahh ... I have seen a lot of people here mention the 'pots/bowls' and
>>'dipping' and I supposed they were the norm.
>>
>>Apologies if I got that wrong.
>>
>>Always difficult to define things like that in a chat group
>>

>again, it wasn't the term pots that had me wondering. It was the 'lot
>of on the table.' That had me visualizing a half dozen or more little
>pots always on the dinner table? Did we say something that led to
>that impression?
>Janet US
>
>==
>
>Someone must have That is what I thought was the norm, although not
>necessarily on the dinner table.
>
>Perhaps it was several people discussing it
>
>Anyway. The earth is still going round ))

o.k. got it. Thank you for sticiking with me.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>news >
>On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 15:47:35 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
. ..

>>On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 11:41:34 -0000, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:

>>>My vocabulary is fine and I understand the term and concept. I was
>>>questioning the comment not the words.
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>I used 'pot' because that is what came to mind when I was describing it
>>>but
>>>I can't say it is common usage.

>>what I was questioning was where did you get the idea that folks in
>>the US have "a lot of dipping pots on the table' ? I never have one
>>dipping pot on the table Well, I take that back. If I am serving
>>something vaguely Asian, I might provide little sauce (1/2 cup or
>>less) dish on each plate for the individual to dip whatever the food
>>is. Anything else is dressed in the kitchen for service. I didn't
>>want to sound confrontational. I just wondered what you were
>>envisioning.
>>Please Carol, do not get involved. I was asking Ophelia what she
>>meant.
>>Janet US
>>
>>==
>>
>>Ahh ... I have seen a lot of people here mention the 'pots/bowls' and
>>'dipping' and I supposed they were the norm.
>>
>>Apologies if I got that wrong.
>>
>>Always difficult to define things like that in a chat group
>>

>again, it wasn't the term pots that had me wondering. It was the 'lot
>of on the table.' That had me visualizing a half dozen or more little
>pots always on the dinner table? Did we say something that led to
>that impression?
>Janet US
>
>==
>
>Someone must have That is what I thought was the norm, although not
>necessarily on the dinner table.
>
>Perhaps it was several people discussing it
>
>Anyway. The earth is still going round ))

o.k. got it. Thank you for sticiking with me.
Janet US

==

np. )

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> >> On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 10:00:39 -0000, "Ophelia"
> >> snip

> table. >>> It's not something I do
> >> >

> >> I don't understand this comment.
> >> Janet US

> > It's ok Janet, it's a UK translation to call it a dipping pot.
> > (I've seen it before called that by UK folks in other social
> > media). We don't do it (USA folks or me) with all meals but it can
> > be very ethnically determined.
> >
> > As far as I know, we'd mostly call them bowls and it's really common
> > where I have lived, to have individual ones where you dipped some
> > out to your own small one or if thick enough to not run, to your
> > plate.
> >
> > Here's one query, I wonder if the UK uses the term 'bread plate'?
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Um maybe. It isn't a term I use but who knows

> Ok, not sure how universal this one is in the USA but it's a little
> plate for your own bread portion. The bread may be in a bowl at the
> center of the table and you take your piece back to your own bread
> plate (separate from your larger dinner plate).
>
> ==
>
> Oh you mean 'side plate'.

Could be same meaning! It's used so various gravys and other things
don't touch the bread unless later, you want to sop those up with the
bread.

I've been told sopping up the juices on the main plate with bread seems
a little disgusting in some cultures but here it's fairly common.

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 19:27:56 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> Oh you mean 'side plate'.

>Could be same meaning! It's used so various gravys and other things
>don't touch the bread unless later, you want to sop those up with the
>bread.
>
>I've been told sopping up the juices on the main plate with bread seems
>a little disgusting in some cultures but here it's fairly common.

Define "here".
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message
>
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 14:09:45 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> > > On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 10:00:39 -0000, "Ophelia"
> > > snip

> table. >>> It's not something I do
> > > >

> > > I don't understand this comment.
> > > Janet US

> > It's ok Janet, it's a UK translation to call it a dipping pot.
> > (I've seen it before called that by UK folks in other social
> > media). We don't do it (USA folks or me) with all meals but it can
> > be very ethnically determined.
> >
> > As far as I know, we'd mostly call them bowls and it's really common
> > where I have lived, to have individual ones where you dipped some
> > out to your own small one or if thick enough to not run, to your
> > plate.
> >
> > Here's one query, I wonder if the UK uses the term 'bread plate'?

> My vocabulary is fine and I understand the term and concept. I was
> questioning the comment not the words.
>
> ==
>
> I used 'pot' because that is what came to mind when I was describing
> it but I can't say it is common usage.

Don't worry Ophelia, I spend a lot of time on Fidonet and while that is
a vanishing social network, it's still alive. I heard that term there
many times over the last 30 years as a sort of translation so you are
not even remotely the first one to use it.

Outside of a party dip dish, we may not use them at all in parts of the
USA. Other spots, it's so common they don't even think of it as
anything special.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 11 Nov 2017 19:43:05 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> "U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

>> table. >>> It's not something I do

>> > It's ok Janet, it's a UK translation to call it a dipping pot.
>> > (I've seen it before called that by UK folks in other social
>> > media). We don't do it (USA folks or me) with all meals but it can
>> > be very ethnically determined.
>> >
>> > As far as I know, we'd mostly call them bowls and it's really common
>> > where I have lived, to have individual ones where you dipped some
>> > out to your own small one or if thick enough to not run, to your
>> > plate.
>> >
>> > Here's one query, I wonder if the UK uses the term 'bread plate'?

>> My vocabulary is fine and I understand the term and concept. I was
>> questioning the comment not the words.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> I used 'pot' because that is what came to mind when I was describing
>> it but I can't say it is common usage.

>Don't worry Ophelia, I spend a lot of time on Fidonet and while that is
>a vanishing social network, it's still alive. I heard that term there
>many times over the last 30 years as a sort of translation so you are
>not even remotely the first one to use it.

Lol, somebody give this woman an ice cream.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cshenk" wrote in message

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > U.S. Janet B. wrote in rec.food.cooking:
> >
> >> On Fri, 10 Nov 2017 10:00:39 -0000, "Ophelia"
> >> snip

> table. >>> It's not something I do
> >> >

> >> I don't understand this comment.
> >> Janet US

> > It's ok Janet, it's a UK translation to call it a dipping pot.
> > (I've seen it before called that by UK folks in other social
> > media). We don't do it (USA folks or me) with all meals but it can
> > be very ethnically determined.
> >
> > As far as I know, we'd mostly call them bowls and it's really common
> > where I have lived, to have individual ones where you dipped some
> > out to your own small one or if thick enough to not run, to your
> > plate.
> >
> > Here's one query, I wonder if the UK uses the term 'bread plate'?
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Um maybe. It isn't a term I use but who knows

> Ok, not sure how universal this one is in the USA but it's a little
> plate for your own bread portion. The bread may be in a bowl at the
> center of the table and you take your piece back to your own bread
> plate (separate from your larger dinner plate).
>
> ==
>
> Oh you mean 'side plate'.

Could be same meaning! It's used so various gravys and other things
don't touch the bread unless later, you want to sop those up with the
bread.

I've been told sopping up the juices on the main plate with bread seems
a little disgusting in some cultures but here it's fairly common.

Carol

==

Who on earth told you that?

http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2017 3:36 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> "cshenk"Â* wrote in message
>> Ok, not sure how universal this one is in the USA but it's a little
>> plate for your own bread portion.Â* The bread may be in a bowl at the
>> center of the table and you take your piece back to your own bread
>> plate (separate from your larger dinner plate).
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Oh you mean 'side plate'.

> Could be same meaning! It's used so various gravys and other things
> don't touch the bread unless later, you want to sop those up with the
> bread.
>
> I've been told sopping up the juices on the main plate with bread seems
> a little disgusting in some cultures but here it's fairly common.
>
> Â*Carol
>
> ==
>
> Who on earth told you that?

Yes, who told her that? The side plate for bread is so you can
gracefully take a piece of bread or a roll and have a place to put it.
That's more a formal setting, I suppose. It has nothing to do with not
letting things on the plate touch.

Eventually the bread will wind up on the plate. How about garlic bread
sopping up red gravy with spaghetti? How about eggs and soldiers
(toast) for breakfast? I've had Ethopian lamb stew served with
injera bread for sopping up gravy. Different cultures.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "cshenk" wrote in message
>
> Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > "cshenk" wrote in message
> >
> > Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >table. >>> It's not something I do

> >> It's ok Janet, it's a UK translation to call it a dipping pot.
> >> (I've seen it before called that by UK folks in other social
> >> media). We don't do it (USA folks or me) with all meals but it can
> >> be very ethnically determined.
> > >
> >> As far as I know, we'd mostly call them bowls and it's really

> common >> where I have lived, to have individual ones where you
> dipped some >> out to your own small one or if thick enough to not
> run, to your >> plate.
> > >
> >> Here's one query, I wonder if the UK uses the term 'bread plate'?
> > >
> >> ==
> > >
> >> Um maybe. It isn't a term I use but who knows

> > Ok, not sure how universal this one is in the USA but it's a little
> > plate for your own bread portion. The bread may be in a bowl at the
> > center of the table and you take your piece back to your own bread
> > plate (separate from your larger dinner plate).
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Oh you mean 'side plate'.

> Could be same meaning! It's used so various gravys and other things
> don't touch the bread unless later, you want to sop those up with the
> bread.
>
> I've been told sopping up the juices on the main plate with bread
> seems a little disgusting in some cultures but here it's fairly
> common.
>
> Carol
>
> ==
>
> Who on earth told you that?

Humm, not anyone from where you are if that helps. Western cultures
generally like the idea.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 11/12/2017 3:36 AM, Ophelia wrote:
> > "cshenk"Â* wrote in message
> > > Ok, not sure how universal this one is in the USA but it's a
> > > little plate for your own bread portion.Â* The bread may be in a
> > > bowl at the center of the table and you take your piece back to
> > > your own bread plate (separate from your larger dinner plate).
> > >
> > > ==
> > >
> > > Oh you mean 'side plate'.

> > Could be same meaning! It's used so various gravys and other things
> > don't touch the bread unless later, you want to sop those up with
> > the bread.
> >
> > I've been told sopping up the juices on the main plate with bread
> > seems a little disgusting in some cultures but here it's fairly
> > common.
> >
> > Â*Carol
> >
> > ==
> >
> > Who on earth told you that?
> >

> Yes, who told her that? The side plate for bread is so you can
> gracefully take a piece of bread or a roll and have a place to put
> it. That's more a formal setting, I suppose. It has nothing to do
> with not letting things on the plate touch.
>
> Eventually the bread will wind up on the plate. How about garlic
> bread sopping up red gravy with spaghetti? How about eggs and
> soldiers (toast) for breakfast? I've had Ethopian lamb stew
> served with injera bread for sopping up gravy. Different cultures.
>
> Jill

It would be very interesting if you visited outside western european/
North America. Thats not going to happen so those other parts of the
world 'do not exist' in your lexicon. Yes, In Africa, they use sopping
bread.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 17:33:33 -0600, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>

>> > Oh you mean 'side plate'.

>> Could be same meaning! It's used so various gravys and other things
>> don't touch the bread unless later, you want to sop those up with the
>> bread.
>>
>> I've been told sopping up the juices on the main plate with bread
>> seems a little disgusting in some cultures but here it's fairly
>> common.
>>
>> Carol
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Who on earth told you that?

>Humm, not anyone from where you are if that helps. Western cultures
>generally like the idea.

The world according to cshenkie is a magical place.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-11-12 6:37 PM, cshenk wrote:

>> Eventually the bread will wind up on the plate. How about garlic
>> bread sopping up red gravy with spaghetti? How about eggs and
>> soldiers (toast) for breakfast? I've had Ethopian lamb stew
>> served with injera bread for sopping up gravy. Different cultures.
>>
>> Jill

> It would be very interesting if you visited outside western european/
> North America. Thats not going to happen so those other parts of the
> world 'do not exist' in your lexicon. Yes, In Africa, they use sopping
> bread.

I know that you posted that you do not read every post in this group,
but Jill has posted about having lived in other countries. As I recall,
she spent a fair amount of her childhood in Thailand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-11-12 6:42 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> Could be same meaning! It's used so various gravys and other things
>>> don't touch the bread unless later, you want to sop those up with the
>>> bread.
>>>
>>> I've been told sopping up the juices on the main plate with bread
>>> seems a little disgusting in some cultures but here it's fairly
>>> common.
>>>
>>> Carol
>>>
>>> ==
>>>
>>> Who on earth told you that?

>> Humm, not anyone from where you are if that helps. Western cultures
>> generally like the idea.

> The world according to cshenkie is a magical place.

Ever notice how magical places seem to be enshrouded by fog?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 12 Nov 2017 19:44:43 -0500, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-11-12 6:42 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> Humm, not anyone from where you are if that helps. Western cultures
>>> generally like the idea.

>> The world according to cshenkie is a magical place.
>>

>Ever notice how magical places seem to be enshrouded by fog?

Brain fog?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2017-11-12 6:37 PM, cshenk wrote:
>
> > > Eventually the bread will wind up on the plate. How about garlic
> > > bread sopping up red gravy with spaghetti? How about eggs and
> > > soldiers (toast) for breakfast? I've had Ethopian lamb stew
> > > served with injera bread for sopping up gravy. Different
> > > cultures.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > It would be very interesting if you visited outside western
> > european/ North America. Thats not going to happen so those other
> > parts of the world 'do not exist' in your lexicon. Yes, In Africa,
> > they use sopping bread.

> I know that you posted that you do not read every post in this
> group, but Jill has posted about having lived in other countries. As
> I recall, she spent a fair amount of her childhood in Thailand.

Thailand, land of Roti a basic flat bread you fill with other things
and eat out of hand.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2017 7:43 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-11-12 6:37 PM, cshenk wrote:
>
>>> Eventually the bread will wind up on the plate.Â* How about garlic
>>> bread sopping up red gravy with spaghetti?Â* How about eggs and
>>> soldiers (toast) for breakfast? Â* I've had Ethopian lamb stew
>>> served with injera bread for sopping up gravy.Â* Different cultures.
>>>
>>> Jill

>> It would be very interesting if you visited outside western european/
>> North America. Thats not going to happen so those other parts of the
>> world 'do not exist' in your lexicon.Â* Yes, In Africa, they use sopping
>> bread.

> I know that you posted thatÂ* you do not read every post in this group,
> but Jill has posted about having lived in other countries. As I recall,
> she spent a fair amount of her childhood in Thailand.

Two years, but then bread doesn't figure heavily in Thai cooking.
Bread is not unheard of, of course. Great Britain had a lot of
influence in Thailand (Siam) back in the day. I doubt the Thais care
one way or another if bread is on a side plate or on the main plate. If
they think using bread to sop up gravy is uncouth they'd never tell you.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/12/2017 10:20 PM, cshenk wrote:
> Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> It would be very interesting if you visited outside western
>>> european/ North America. Thats not going to happen so those other
>>> parts of the world 'do not exist' in your lexicon. Yes, In Africa,
>>> they use sopping bread.

>> I know that you posted that you do not read every post in this
>> group, but Jill has posted about having lived in other countries. As
>> I recall, she spent a fair amount of her childhood in Thailand.

> Thailand, land of Roti a basic flat bread you fill with other things
> and eat out of hand.

Roti is about as Thai as it is Japanese. LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, cshenk1
@cox.net says...

> Dave Smith wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > It would be very interesting if you visited outside western
> > > european/ North America. Thats not going to happen so those other
> > > parts of the world 'do not exist' in your lexicon. Yes, In Africa,
> > > they use sopping bread.

> > I know that you posted that you do not read every post in this
> > group, but Jill has posted about having lived in other countries. As
> > I recall, she spent a fair amount of her childhood in Thailand.

> Thailand, land of Roti a basic flat bread you fill with other things
> and eat out of hand.

Roti originated in India.

Janet UK