Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default What is "plain flour"?

This is a question fer you Limey's. What IS "plain flour"?

I'm looking at a hot water crust recipe from Paul Hollywood, one of
the "masters" of the Great Brit Baking Show. It says "450g plain
flour" plus "100g bread flour". I get "bread flour" and thought
"plain flour" might be what we call all-purpose flour (APF). So, I go
to the link provided and get a BBC page that explains "plain flour" is
soft flour. Sounds like it might be pastry flour (or Wht Lilly or Martha
Wht) flour. Yes? No?

I looked at the link fer "white bread" flour and it comes up sounding like
APF. Yes? No?

So I guess the question is: what is "plain" flour and what is "white
bread" flour?

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 12:38:29 PM UTC-5, notbob wrote:
> This is a question fer you Limey's. What IS "plain flour"?
>
> I'm looking at a hot water crust recipe from Paul Hollywood, one of
> the "masters" of the Great Brit Baking Show. It says "450g plain
> flour" plus "100g bread flour". I get "bread flour" and thought
> "plain flour" might be what we call all-purpose flour (APF). So, I go
> to the link provided and get a BBC page that explains "plain flour" is
> soft flour. Sounds like it might be pastry flour (or Wht Lilly or Martha
> Wht) flour. Yes? No?
>
> I looked at the link fer "white bread" flour and it comes up sounding like
> APF. Yes? No?
>
> So I guess the question is: what is "plain" flour and what is "white
> bread" flour?
>
> nb

No expert by anyone's imagination but I believe bread flour has more
gluten? If I'm wrong it won't be the first or last time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Sep 2017 17:38:21 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>This is a question fer you Limey's. What IS "plain flour"?
>
>I'm looking at a hot water crust recipe from Paul Hollywood, one of
>the "masters" of the Great Brit Baking Show. It says "450g plain
>flour" plus "100g bread flour". I get "bread flour" and thought
>"plain flour" might be what we call all-purpose flour (APF). So, I go
>to the link provided and get a BBC page that explains "plain flour" is
>soft flour. Sounds like it might be pastry flour (or Wht Lilly or Martha
>Wht) flour. Yes? No?
>
>I looked at the link fer "white bread" flour and it comes up sounding like
>APF. Yes? No?
>
>So I guess the question is: what is "plain" flour and what is "white
>bread" flour?
>
>nb

All-Purpose Flour. I believe the Brits indicate high gluten flour as
"strong' flour
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I think it means not self rising flour.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

It is just bone flour. The regular stuff. I like it, i buy it, i love it but it is not available where i shop.
I could make it but i will not.
Good luck.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-22, U.S Janet B > wrote:

> On 22 Sep 2017 17:38:21 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>>
>>So I guess the question is: what is "plain" flour and what is "white
>>bread" flour?

> All-Purpose Flour. I believe the Brits indicate high gluten flour as
> "strong' flour

Dang! ....forgot the link:

<http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/raised_game_pie_90104>

I think of "high gluten" as bread flour. Despite this recipe calling
for "100g strong white bread" flour, the link (in green text) sounds
more like all purpose flour (APF) instead of high gluten bread flour.
The "plain" flour link definitely sounds like pastry flour. I jes
wanna clarify.

I plan on making a pork pie, like the one in the 1946 film, Great
Expectations, starring John Mills. Paul Hollywood offers a trick
round pork pie mold fer about $25, on Ebay. Those fancy molds, like
the one's used on that Brit Baking show, are too damn pricey. Even
the cheap one's costs well over £100. 8|

<http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paul-Hollywood-Bakeware-Beechwood-Hand-Raised-Boiled-Pastry-Pork-Pie-Dolly-Mould-/361869712659?epid=1280871490&hash=item54411d9d13:g :-bIAAOSwv9FXgS3O>

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Sep 2017 18:45:55 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2017-09-22, U.S Janet B > wrote:
>
>> On 22 Sep 2017 17:38:21 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>>>
>>>So I guess the question is: what is "plain" flour and what is "white
>>>bread" flour?

>> All-Purpose Flour. I believe the Brits indicate high gluten flour as
>> "strong' flour

>Dang! ....forgot the link:
>
><http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/raised_game_pie_90104>
>
>I think of "high gluten" as bread flour. Despite this recipe calling
>for "100g strong white bread" flour, the link (in green text) sounds
>more like all purpose flour (APF) instead of high gluten bread flour.
>The "plain" flour link definitely sounds like pastry flour. I jes
>wanna clarify.
>
>I plan on making a pork pie, like the one in the 1946 film, Great
>Expectations, starring John Mills. Paul Hollywood offers a trick
>round pork pie mold fer about $25, on Ebay. Those fancy molds, like
>the one's used on that Brit Baking show, are too damn pricey. Even
>the cheap one's costs well over £100. 8|
>
><http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paul-Hollywood-Bakeware-Beechwood-Hand-Raised-Boiled-Pastry-Pork-Pie-Dolly-Mould-/361869712659?epid=1280871490&hash=item54411d9d13:g :-bIAAOSwv9FXgS3O>
>
>nb

I, me personally, would still use all purpose flour in combo with the
strong flour. Housewives used AP for years because it suited for
everything. Anyway, Ping Ophelia or Janet UK for the real scoop.
I'll be interested too.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-22, U.S Janet B > wrote:

> I, me personally, would still use all purpose flour in combo with the
> strong flour. Housewives used AP for years because it suited for
> everything. Anyway, Ping Ophelia or Janet UK for the real scoop.
> I'll be interested too.

Thanks fer the reply, JanetB. I'm sure JanetUK will respond, in due
time. I've got Ophy KF'd, but I'll read what she has to say.
Baron(?)/Boron(?), might even reply. No hurry. I'll not buy that
wood mold fer another week.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

On 22 Sep 2017 18:45:55 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2017-09-22, U.S Janet B > wrote:
>
>> On 22 Sep 2017 17:38:21 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>>>
>>>So I guess the question is: what is "plain" flour and what is "white
>>>bread" flour?

>> All-Purpose Flour. I believe the Brits indicate high gluten flour as
>> "strong' flour

>Dang! ....forgot the link:
>
><http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/raised_game_pie_90104>
>
>I think of "high gluten" as bread flour. Despite this recipe calling
>for "100g strong white bread" flour, the link (in green text) sounds
>more like all purpose flour (APF) instead of high gluten bread flour.
>The "plain" flour link definitely sounds like pastry flour. I jes
>wanna clarify.
>
>I plan on making a pork pie, like the one in the 1946 film, Great
>Expectations, starring John Mills. Paul Hollywood offers a trick
>round pork pie mold fer about $25, on Ebay. Those fancy molds, like
>the one's used on that Brit Baking show, are too damn pricey. Even
>the cheap one's costs well over £100. 8|
>
><http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paul-Hollywood-Bakeware-Beechwood-Hand-Raised-Boiled-Pastry-Pork-Pie-Dolly-Mould-/361869712659?epid=1280871490&hash=item54411d9d13:g :-bIAAOSwv9FXgS3O>
>
>nb

I, me personally, would still use all purpose flour in combo with the
strong flour. Housewives used AP for years because it suited for
everything. Anyway, Ping Ophelia or Janet UK for the real scoop.
I'll be interested too.
Janet US

==

Self raising flour is plain flour with added raising agent

When I us US recipes, I use plain flour when all purpose flour is required.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" wrote in message
9.45...

On Fri 22 Sep 2017 11:09:22a, U.S. Janet B. told us...

> On 22 Sep 2017 17:38:21 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
>>This is a question fer you Limey's. What IS "plain flour"?
>>
>>I'm looking at a hot water crust recipe from Paul Hollywood, one
>>of the "masters" of the Great Brit Baking Show. It says "450g
>>plain flour" plus "100g bread flour". I get "bread flour" and
>>thought "plain flour" might be what we call all-purpose flour
>>(APF). So, I go to the link provided and get a BBC page that
>>explains "plain flour" is soft flour. Sounds like it might be
>>pastry flour (or Wht Lilly or Martha Wht) flour. Yes? No?
>>
>>I looked at the link fer "white bread" flour and it comes up
>>sounding like APF. Yes? No?
>>
>>So I guess the question is: what is "plain" flour and what is
>>"white bread" flour?
>>
>>nb
>>

> All-Purpose Flour. I believe the Brits indicate high gluten flour
> as "strong' flour
> Janet US

You're right on both points.

Wayne Boatwright

==

Yes.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-22, Ophelia > wrote:

> Self raising flour is plain flour with added raising agent

I noticed the comment about "raising agents".

> When I us US recipes, I use plain flour when all purpose flour is required.

OK. Thnx, Ophelia. I can buy White Lily self-rising flour.

I don't have you killfiled (KF'd) cuz yer objectionable, but cuz you
never trim and only add a few words. I should leave you to my other
KF parameter, which is too many lines. I KF everything over 50 lines.
I also KF everything from GG to G2 to non-existent wrapping, so don't
take it personal.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" wrote in message ...

"U.S. Janet B." wrote in message

On 22 Sep 2017 18:45:55 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2017-09-22, U.S Janet B > wrote:
>
>> On 22 Sep 2017 17:38:21 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>>>
>>>So I guess the question is: what is "plain" flour and what is "white
>>>bread" flour?

>> All-Purpose Flour. I believe the Brits indicate high gluten flour as
>> "strong' flour

>Dang! ....forgot the link:
>
><http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/raised_game_pie_90104>
>
>I think of "high gluten" as bread flour. Despite this recipe calling
>for "100g strong white bread" flour, the link (in green text) sounds
>more like all purpose flour (APF) instead of high gluten bread flour.
>The "plain" flour link definitely sounds like pastry flour. I jes
>wanna clarify.
>
>I plan on making a pork pie, like the one in the 1946 film, Great
>Expectations, starring John Mills. Paul Hollywood offers a trick
>round pork pie mold fer about $25, on Ebay. Those fancy molds, like
>the one's used on that Brit Baking show, are too damn pricey. Even
>the cheap one's costs well over £100. 8|
>
><http://www.ebay.com/itm/Paul-Hollywood-Bakeware-Beechwood-Hand-Raised-Boiled-Pastry-Pork-Pie-Dolly-Mould-/361869712659?epid=1280871490&hash=item54411d9d13:g :-bIAAOSwv9FXgS3O>
>
>nb

I, me personally, would still use all purpose flour in combo with the
strong flour. Housewives used AP for years because it suited for
everything. Anyway, Ping Ophelia or Janet UK for the real scoop.
I'll be interested too.
Janet US

==

Self raising flour is plain flour with added raising agent

When I us US recipes, I use plain flour when all purpose flour is required.

==

Not sure how this will print out but ...

United States Canada UK
bread flour bread flour strong flour
all-purpose flour all-purpose flour plain flour
self-rising flour self-rising flour self-raising flour
cornstarch corn flour

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 22 Sep 2017 20:26:27 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2017-09-22, Ophelia > wrote:
>
>> Self raising flour is plain flour with added raising agent

>I noticed the comment about "raising agents".
>
>> When I us US recipes, I use plain flour when all purpose flour is required.

>OK. Thnx, Ophelia. I can buy White Lily self-rising flour.
>
>I don't have you killfiled (KF'd) cuz yer objectionable, but cuz you
>never trim and only add a few words. I should leave you to my other
>KF parameter, which is too many lines. I KF everything over 50 lines.
>I also KF everything from GG to G2 to non-existent wrapping, so don't
>take it personal.
>
>nb

Whoops! Read again. Self-rising flour is not plain flour.
Self-rising is self-rising pretty much everywhere.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> This is a question fer you Limey's. What IS "plain flour"?
>
> I'm looking at a hot water crust recipe from Paul Hollywood, one of
> the "masters" of the Great Brit Baking Show. It says "450g plain
> flour" plus "100g bread flour". I get "bread flour" and thought
> "plain flour" might be what we call all-purpose flour (APF). So, I go
> to the link provided and get a BBC page that explains "plain flour" is
> soft flour. Sounds like it might be pastry flour (or Wht Lilly or
> Martha Wht) flour. Yes? No?
>
> I looked at the link fer "white bread" flour and it comes up sounding
> like APF. Yes? No?
>
> So I guess the question is: what is "plain" flour and what is "white
> bread" flour?
>
> nb

Hi NB, the key is to know that 2 countries do not use the same terms
and even when they 'seem to' they may not mean the exact same thing.
This is as true of flour as other items. Use the version their contry
defines as the best answer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-23, Janet > wrote:

>> soft flour. Sounds like it might be pastry flour (or Wht Lilly or Martha
>> Wht) flour. Yes? No?

I don't know where I got the "self-rising" from. Perhaps it's cuz I
can buy self-rising White Lily at my local sprmkt. I gotta buy 10
lbs (plus shipping) of White Lily from Smuckers to get non-rising flour.

The link from Paul Hollywood says:

"Plain flour is usually a soft flour and is best for cakes and
pastries as it has less gluten, and therefore makes a softer dough."

This is pastry flour or White Lily or Martha White flour. Both the
last two are soft wheat flours, which are lower in gluten than yer
typical AP flour. I now jes buy organic pastry flour from my health
food store (HFS).

BTW, I now see where I got the idea of "self-rising". Paul Hollywood
links to what a "strong white bread flour" includes this quote:

"Typical ingredients include wheat flour, water, salt and yeast."

That "yeast" ingredient is a "self-rising" addition.

So, it sounds like PH's link fer "strong white bread flour" is to an
all-purpose flour (APF) that may --or may not-- be "self-rising".

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2017-09-23, Janet > wrote:
>
> >> soft flour. Sounds like it might be pastry flour (or Wht Lilly or

> Martha >> Wht) flour. Yes? No?
>
> I don't know where I got the "self-rising" from. Perhaps it's cuz I
> can buy self-rising White Lily at my local sprmkt. I gotta buy 10
> lbs (plus shipping) of White Lily from Smuckers to get non-rising
> flour.
>
> The link from Paul Hollywood says:
>
> "Plain flour is usually a soft flour and is best for cakes and
> pastries as it has less gluten, and therefore makes a softer dough."
>
> This is pastry flour or White Lily or Martha White flour. Both the
> last two are soft wheat flours, which are lower in gluten than yer
> typical AP flour. I now jes buy organic pastry flour from my health
> food store (HFS).
>
> BTW, I now see where I got the idea of "self-rising". Paul Hollywood
> links to what a "strong white bread flour" includes this quote:
>
> "Typical ingredients include wheat flour, water, salt and yeast."
>
> That "yeast" ingredient is a "self-rising" addition.
>
> So, it sounds like PH's link fer "strong white bread flour" is to an
> all-purpose flour (APF) that may --or may not-- be "self-rising".
>
> nb

Thats interesting! Could be regional as well. All the 'self rising'
flours I know of add baking powder/soda to make it 'self rising' and
shelf stable.

My husband gets it in small 1lb bags to bread things.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 19:30:17 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Thats interesting! Could be regional as well. All the 'self rising'
>flours I know of add baking powder/soda to make it 'self rising' and
>shelf stable.

Baking powder/soda makes flour shelf stable? That's the great thing
about this newsgroup. You always learn something new.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Mon, 25 Sep 2017 19:30:17 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Thats interesting! Could be regional as well. All the 'self
> > rising' flours I know of add baking powder/soda to make it 'self
> > rising' and shelf stable.

> Baking powder/soda makes flour shelf stable? That's the great thing
> about this newsgroup. You always learn something new.

I think it's based on long ago when yeast pretty much had to be
proofed. Thats not the same for the baking soda/powder items.

It's not more shelf stable than regular AP flour (as far as I know) but
yeast was not added as that didnt really work too well over longer
terms. Might be new versions do since at least one person sees that?