Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cooked or raw pasta?

On 9/21/2017 11:56, Gary wrote:
> This questionable thing came up a few years ago.
>
> I'm thinking about trying a recipe and it
> calls for: "one pound cooked pasta"
>
> http://www.hostpic.org/images/1709212101570095.jpg
>
> I've posted the recipe here above so you can see what is
> added to the pasta.
>
> Do you think this would be one pound of dry pasta, then cooked.
> Or maybe cook just enough pasta so the cooked version would equal
> one pound.
>
> It's just a twist on a tuna noodle casserole but it caught my
> interest. I might give it a try.

It's a poorly written recipe. I would think, from reading it, the
author means 1 lb. of dry pasta, cooked.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:56:11 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>This questionable thing came up a few years ago.
>
>I'm thinking about trying a recipe and it
>calls for: "one pound cooked pasta"
>
>http://www.hostpic.org/images/1709212101570095.jpg
>
>I've posted the recipe here above so you can see what is
>added to the pasta.
>
>Do you think this would be one pound of dry pasta, then cooked.
>Or maybe cook just enough pasta so the cooked version would equal
>one pound.
>
>It's just a twist on a tuna noodle casserole but it caught my
>interest. I might give it a try.

It is a one-pound package of pasta, cooked, then added to the
casserole.
The recipe is trying to keep you from making a mistake by telling you
to cook the pasta. Generally, casseroles don't contain enough liquid
that would allow for cooking in the casserole itself.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 11:54:59 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> This questionable thing came up a few years ago.
>
> I'm thinking about trying a recipe and it
> calls for: "one pound cooked pasta"
>
> http://www.hostpic.org/images/1709212101570095.jpg
>
> I've posted the recipe here above so you can see what is
> added to the pasta.
>
> Do you think this would be one pound of dry pasta, then cooked.
> Or maybe cook just enough pasta so the cooked version would equal
> one pound.
>
> It's just a twist on a tuna noodle casserole but it caught my
> interest. I might give it a try.

Based on the number of servings, I'd say it was a pound of pasta, cooked.
A pound of pasta is 8 "servings", so the indicated 6 servings is in the
ballpark for the number of portions that you might get out of it.

<https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/educational/wecan/eat-right/distortion.htm>

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2017 11:11 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I'll take a pass.

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg

Hide the Ho Ho's!!!!!!!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I don't like uncooked pasta.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2017 11:05 AM, wrote:
> I don't like uncooked pasta.

Me neither, but my neighbor's beagle dog does.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> This questionable thing came up a few years ago.
>
> I'm thinking about trying a recipe and it
> calls for: "one pound cooked pasta"
>
> http://www.hostpic.org/images/1709212101570095.jpg
>
> I've posted the recipe here above so you can see what is
> added to the pasta.
>
> Do you think this would be one pound of dry pasta, then cooked.
> Or maybe cook just enough pasta so the cooked version would equal
> one pound.
>
> It's just a twist on a tuna noodle casserole but it caught my
> interest. I might give it a try.

The way it reads, you would cook pasta and weigh out one pound.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:56:11 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >This questionable thing came up a few years ago.
> >
> >I'm thinking about trying a recipe and it
> >calls for: "one pound cooked pasta"
> >
> >http://www.hostpic.org/images/1709212101570095.jpg
> >
> >I've posted the recipe here above so you can see what is
> >added to the pasta.
> >
> >Do you think this would be one pound of dry pasta, then cooked.
> >Or maybe cook just enough pasta so the cooked version would equal
> >one pound.
> >
> >It's just a twist on a tuna noodle casserole but it caught my
> >interest. I might give it a try.

> It is a one-pound package of pasta, cooked, then added to the
> casserole.
> The recipe is trying to keep you from making a mistake by telling you
> to cook the pasta. Generally, casseroles don't contain enough liquid
> that would allow for cooking in the casserole itself.

Thanks Janet US. I would *never* put dry pasta in some dish to
cook. I always cook first. I've seen lasagne recipes for doing
that but I would never take a chance to try it. Lasagne noodles
cooked first works well for me and no need to risk a failure with
a large dish of valuable lasagne.

I've got all ingredients to make that dish but I've put it on
hold for a few days. Hurricane Maria is now predicted to much
closer to our coast than previously predicted. Next few days will
tell but I don't want to cook a large batch of something now if I
might lose electricity for several days.

Not only that, I bought and planned to use a 16oz package of dry
linguini. After the fact, I realized that a 16oz bag of medium
egg noodles might work better with this dish. I might even end up
making my own egg noodles. Bit more work but the taste difference
is always worth it.

Seriously, no dry pasta tastes near as good as homemade.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:56:11 -0400, Gary wrote:
>
> > This questionable thing came up a few years ago.
> >
> > I'm thinking about trying a recipe and it
> > calls for: "one pound cooked pasta"
> >
> > http://www.hostpic.org/images/1709212101570095.jpg

> Tomatoes, tuna, and a lot of oregano. I'll take a pass.

I will make this within the week. I'll report back.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-23 12:51 PM, Gary wrote:

>> It is a one-pound package of pasta, cooked, then added to the
>> casserole.
>> The recipe is trying to keep you from making a mistake by telling you
>> to cook the pasta. Generally, casseroles don't contain enough liquid
>> that would allow for cooking in the casserole itself.

> Thanks Janet US. I would *never* put dry pasta in some dish to
> cook. I always cook first. I've seen lasagne recipes for doing
> that but I would never take a chance to try it. Lasagne noodles
> cooked first works well for me and no need to risk a failure with
> a large dish of valuable lasagne.

I have used uncooked pasta a number of times and it worked out great.
When I didn't know how to pipe the filling into cannelloni and manicotti
I found it much easier to spoon the filling into the hard raw pasta
tubes than into the soft cooked ones. I have also done it with lasagna.
I thinned the sauce a bit and gave it about 10 minutes extra in the oven.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 12:51:37 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:56:11 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>>
>> >This questionable thing came up a few years ago.
>> >
>> >I'm thinking about trying a recipe and it
>> >calls for: "one pound cooked pasta"
>> >
>> >http://www.hostpic.org/images/1709212101570095.jpg
>> >
>> >I've posted the recipe here above so you can see what is
>> >added to the pasta.
>> >
>> >Do you think this would be one pound of dry pasta, then cooked.
>> >Or maybe cook just enough pasta so the cooked version would equal
>> >one pound.
>> >
>> >It's just a twist on a tuna noodle casserole but it caught my
>> >interest. I might give it a try.

>> It is a one-pound package of pasta, cooked, then added to the
>> casserole.
>> The recipe is trying to keep you from making a mistake by telling you
>> to cook the pasta. Generally, casseroles don't contain enough liquid
>> that would allow for cooking in the casserole itself.

>Thanks Janet US. I would *never* put dry pasta in some dish to
>cook. I always cook first. I've seen lasagne recipes for doing
>that but I would never take a chance to try it. Lasagne noodles
>cooked first works well for me and no need to risk a failure with
>a large dish of valuable lasagne.
>
>I've got all ingredients to make that dish but I've put it on
>hold for a few days. Hurricane Maria is now predicted to much
>closer to our coast than previously predicted. Next few days will
>tell but I don't want to cook a large batch of something now if I
>might lose electricity for several days.
>
>Not only that, I bought and planned to use a 16oz package of dry
>linguini. After the fact, I realized that a 16oz bag of medium
>egg noodles might work better with this dish. I might even end up
>making my own egg noodles. Bit more work but the taste difference
>is always worth it.
>
>Seriously, no dry pasta tastes near as good as homemade.

the linguini. I have a recipe for a stove-top 'hot dish' that
originally called for uncooked spaghetti to be stirred into a mix of
tomatoes, peppers, onions, the usual suspects. Let me tell you,
uncooked spaghetti, even broken into 1/3 or 1/4 doesn't want to be
pushed under a sauce to be cooked. There's always a bunch of pieces
sticking up and not getting tender. I've since fiddled with that
original recipe, made it my own and use cooked spaghetti. I really
haven't been able to see a taste difference.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 13:34:31 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-09-23 12:51 PM, Gary wrote:
>
>>> It is a one-pound package of pasta, cooked, then added to the
>>> casserole.
>>> The recipe is trying to keep you from making a mistake by telling you
>>> to cook the pasta. Generally, casseroles don't contain enough liquid
>>> that would allow for cooking in the casserole itself.

>> Thanks Janet US. I would *never* put dry pasta in some dish to
>> cook. I always cook first. I've seen lasagne recipes for doing
>> that but I would never take a chance to try it. Lasagne noodles
>> cooked first works well for me and no need to risk a failure with
>> a large dish of valuable lasagne.

>I have used uncooked pasta a number of times and it worked out great.
>When I didn't know how to pipe the filling into cannelloni and manicotti
>I found it much easier to spoon the filling into the hard raw pasta
>tubes than into the soft cooked ones. I have also done it with lasagna.
>I thinned the sauce a bit and gave it about 10 minutes extra in the oven.

that sounds do-able for manicotti. Do you ramp up the amount of sauce
that you use or make the filling juicier? I just don't make lasagna
often enough to remember to try that.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-23 2:41 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 13:34:31 -0400, Dave Smith
> > wrote:

>> I have used uncooked pasta a number of times and it worked out great.
>> When I didn't know how to pipe the filling into cannelloni and manicotti
>> I found it much easier to spoon the filling into the hard raw pasta
>> tubes than into the soft cooked ones. I have also done it with lasagna.
>> I thinned the sauce a bit and gave it about 10 minutes extra in the oven.
>>

> that sounds do-able for manicotti. Do you ramp up the amount of sauce
> that you use or make the filling juicier? I just don't make lasagna
> often enough to remember to try that.

Thinning it a bit and a little longer cooking seemed to do the trick.