Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bone Broth

I know, I know. I *could* make my own but I won't. This stuff was super hot
for awhile. Has it fallen out of favor? I ran out. Tried to buy some at Fred
Meyer but the only kind they had was in the health food section and they
wanted over $7 for a tiny carton. I did order some online from Walmart, the
Sam's Choice brand. It tastes good. And it's cheap!

Has something else replaced bone broth now? I think it has more protein than
the regular broth.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ok, what is bone broth?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2017 2:44 PM, Thomas wrote:
> Ok, what is bone broth?

Headhunter staple.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 5:41:21 PM UTC-4, Casa de Masa wrote:
> On 9/21/2017 2:44 PM, Thomas wrote:
> > Ok, what is bone broth?
> >

> Headhunter staple.

Reminds me of an episode from Gilligan's island. Like that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thomas wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Ok, what is bone broth?

Bone broth is made mostly with bones and little meat. It will jell to
consomme and have a deep flavor. It is generally high in calcium and
joint health items, similar to Osteo-Biflex pills.

Long low heat cooking required to get it right, crockpots excel in this
area. Can be stove topped but will cost 3-4x as much in energy and
isnt faster. Pressure cooker not suitable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 6:53:25 PM UTC-4, cshenk wrote:
> Thomas wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > Ok, what is bone broth?

> Bone broth is made mostly with bones and little meat. It will jell to
> consomme and have a deep flavor. It is generally high in calcium and
> joint health items, similar to Osteo-Biflex pills.
>
> Long low heat cooking required to get it right, crockpots excel in this
> area. Can be stove topped but will cost 3-4x as much in energy and
> isnt faster. Pressure cooker not suitable.
>
> --

Marrow? Hollow? Scoop the scum off the top? Good? Easeir to take a oneaday?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Thomas" > wrote in message
> Ok, what is bone broth?

Since I've never made it, I can't say for sure.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 4:44:44 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
> Ok, what is bone broth?

Magical fluid that will cure all of your ills. If you google for it,
you'll find a ton of junk-science nutrition sites.

Still, if I make stock and it doesn't gel in the refrigerator, I
consider it a pretty poor effort.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2017 6:39 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 4:44:44 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
>> Ok, what is bone broth?

> Magical fluid that will cure all of your ills. If you google for it,
> you'll find a ton of junk-science nutrition sites.
>
> Still, if I make stock and it doesn't gel in the refrigerator, I
> consider it a pretty poor effort.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I found this:

Instructions

Place bones in your stock pot.
Add onion, carrots, celery, salt and peppercorns.
Pour enough water in the pot to cover everything.
Add vinegar and let stand for 30-40 minutes.
Bring to a boil and then reduce to a low simmer for the recommended
amount of time:

Chicken bones: 8-24 hours.
Beef bones: 8-72 hours.

Personally I'd rather have a little meat on those bones when making
stock or broth. I'm not sure I could find bones that didn't have meat
on them. And of course good stock or broth needs to gel.

I still get a kick out of this memory. kilikini called me one day and
told me she had made some chicken stock for soup. She'd put it in the
refrigerator over night, scooped off the fat and found the broth/stock
was gelatinous. (She was worried she had done something wrong.) Nope,
you nailed it! If it gelled that means you did it right! Don't worry,
it will melt right back in when you reheat it to make your soup.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 4:44:44 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
> > Ok, what is bone broth?

> Magical fluid that will cure all of your ills. If you google for it,
> you'll find a ton of junk-science nutrition sites.
>
> Still, if I make stock and it doesn't gel in the refrigerator, I
> consider it a pretty poor effort.

And if it doesn't gel well: as I'm sure you know, it just wasn't
concentrated enough.

Bone Broth is just the new trending name for stock. Made with
bones. Same exact thing. It's just a marketing ploy to make
people buy something they think might be new and improved.

I looked this morning at the grocery store. Side by side chicken
(or beef) stock and chicken (or beef) bone broth. Probably came
from the same cooked batch but they charge twice the price for
the nifty new bone broth.

Roast a chicken, eat all the meat at dinner. Put the carcass in a
pot with water and whatever you want to add for aromatics. Simmer
for hours, strain and you end up with chicken stock or bone
broth. Call it what you choose.

I always have homemade stock/broth on hand. Use to make large
batches on stovetop ala Sheldon. The last year though, I've
switched to making smaller batches in my crockpot. I do that more
often but the results are actually better. I put all into a
crockpot, turn the heat setting to high only for about an hour
just to speed up the initial heating. Then I turn it on low and I
let it go a full 24 hours with no maintenence.

Strain out all the bits the next morning and get a very rich
broth/stock. It freezes well for months but now making smaller
batches, I don't go very long. Once I use up my last, I make
another batch.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2017 7:42 AM, Gary wrote:
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 4:44:44 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
>>> Ok, what is bone broth?

>> Magical fluid that will cure all of your ills. If you google for it,
>> you'll find a ton of junk-science nutrition sites.
>>
>> Still, if I make stock and it doesn't gel in the refrigerator, I
>> consider it a pretty poor effort.

> And if it doesn't gel well: as I'm sure you know, it just wasn't
> concentrated enough.
>
> Bone Broth is just the new trending name for stock. Made with
> bones. Same exact thing. It's just a marketing ploy to make
> people buy something they think might be new and improved.
>
> I looked this morning at the grocery store. Side by side chicken
> (or beef) stock and chicken (or beef) bone broth. Probably came
> from the same cooked batch but they charge twice the price for
> the nifty new bone broth.
>
> Roast a chicken, eat all the meat at dinner. Put the carcass in a
> pot with water and whatever you want to add for aromatics. Simmer
> for hours, strain and you end up with chicken stock or bone
> broth. Call it what you choose.
>
> I always have homemade stock/broth on hand. Use to make large
> batches on stovetop ala Sheldon. The last year though, I've
> switched to making smaller batches in my crockpot. I do that more
> often but the results are actually better. I put all into a
> crockpot, turn the heat setting to high only for about an hour
> just to speed up the initial heating. Then I turn it on low and I
> let it go a full 24 hours with no maintenence.
>
> Strain out all the bits the next morning and get a very rich
> broth/stock. It freezes well for months but now making smaller
> batches, I don't go very long. Once I use up my last, I make
> another batch.

Or you could make your own.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 4:05:21 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Thomas" > wrote in message
> > Ok, what is bone broth?

> Since I've never made it, I can't say for sure.

I can stare at this response all day.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Thomas" > wrote in message
> > Ok, what is bone broth?

> Since I've never made it, I can't say for sure.

Just the nifty new word for stock.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> On 9/22/2017 7:42 AM, Gary wrote:
> > Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> Magical fluid that will cure all of your ills. If you google for it,
> >> you'll find a ton of junk-science nutrition sites.
> >>
> >> Still, if I make stock and it doesn't gel in the refrigerator, I
> >> consider it a pretty poor effort.

> > And if it doesn't gel well: as I'm sure you know, it just wasn't
> > concentrated enough.
> >
> > Bone Broth is just the new trending name for stock. Made with
> > bones. Same exact thing. It's just a marketing ploy to make
> > people buy something they think might be new and improved.
> >
> > I looked this morning at the grocery store. Side by side chicken
> > (or beef) stock and chicken (or beef) bone broth. Probably came
> > from the same cooked batch but they charge twice the price for
> > the nifty new bone broth.
> >
> > Roast a chicken, eat all the meat at dinner. Put the carcass in a
> > pot with water and whatever you want to add for aromatics. Simmer
> > for hours, strain and you end up with chicken stock or bone
> > broth. Call it what you choose.
> >
> > I always have homemade stock/broth on hand. Use to make large
> > batches on stovetop ala Sheldon. The last year though, I've
> > switched to making smaller batches in my crockpot. I do that more
> > often but the results are actually better. I put all into a
> > crockpot, turn the heat setting to high only for about an hour
> > just to speed up the initial heating. Then I turn it on low and I
> > let it go a full 24 hours with no maintenence.
> >
> > Strain out all the bits the next morning and get a very rich
> > broth/stock. It freezes well for months but now making smaller
> > batches, I don't go very long. Once I use up my last, I make
> > another batch.
> >

> Or you could make your own.

Ummmmm....were you not just paying attention?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Thomas wrote:

> On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 4:05:21 AM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> > "Thomas" > wrote in message
> > > Ok, what is bone broth?

> > Since I've never made it, I can't say for sure.

> I can stare at this response all day.

Probably very true in Julie's case. She hates bones. She's
mentioned that many times so she probably has never made stock.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 07:02:05 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 9/22/2017 6:39 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 4:44:44 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
>>> Ok, what is bone broth?

>> Magical fluid that will cure all of your ills. If you google for it,
>> you'll find a ton of junk-science nutrition sites.
>>
>> Still, if I make stock and it doesn't gel in the refrigerator, I
>> consider it a pretty poor effort.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton
>>

>I found this:
>
>Instructions
>
>Place bones in your stock pot.
>Add onion, carrots, celery, salt and peppercorns.
>Pour enough water in the pot to cover everything.
>Add vinegar and let stand for 30-40 minutes.
>Bring to a boil and then reduce to a low simmer for the recommended
>amount of time:
>
>Chicken bones: 8-24 hours.
>Beef bones: 8-72 hours.
>
>Personally I'd rather have a little meat on those bones when making
>stock or broth. I'm not sure I could find bones that didn't have meat
>on them. And of course good stock or broth needs to gel.

snip

>Jill

Commercially packed cut bare beef bones available by the large bag in
the frozen meats section at my Winco supermarket. Just exactly like
what we used to be able to get in the meat department for free. Don't
know about yours. I've never priced them because I don't do much with
beef broth but it is clear what is in the bag. Bag is about the size
of plastic shopping bag from the supermarket.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 07:42:38 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 4:44:44 PM UTC-4, Thomas wrote:
>> > Ok, what is bone broth?

>> Magical fluid that will cure all of your ills. If you google for it,
>> you'll find a ton of junk-science nutrition sites.
>>
>> Still, if I make stock and it doesn't gel in the refrigerator, I
>> consider it a pretty poor effort.

>And if it doesn't gel well: as I'm sure you know, it just wasn't
>concentrated enough.
>
>Bone Broth is just the new trending name for stock. Made with
>bones. Same exact thing. It's just a marketing ploy to make
>people buy something they think might be new and improved.
>
>I looked this morning at the grocery store. Side by side chicken
>(or beef) stock and chicken (or beef) bone broth. Probably came
>from the same cooked batch but they charge twice the price for
>the nifty new bone broth.

snip
my stores don't sell the bone broth for twice as much. There's either
just a couple cents difference or they just carry the bone broth at
the regular price.
Way back when I was a new bride I had read that if you have any lemon
in your kitchen, to add it to your pot when making broth as it would
help pull the minerals from the bone. I continue that today. The cut
halves of lemon along with celery, carrot, onion, mushroom and bell
pepper are all in that bag of stuff that I keep in my freezer for
making broth. There's another bag full of chicken parts/trimmings and
another for beef. So when we are having a cold dreary day I am all
set to make some comfort by making broth.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-22, jmcquown > wrote:

> Personally I'd rather have a little meat on those bones when making
> stock or broth.

(sigh)

Broth/stock comes from the meat, not jes bones. I took a class on
making veal stock, given by Gary Danko, former head chef at SF's
Ritz-Carlton. He used $200 worth of veal ribs (with ALL the meat
still on!) to make his stock.

Worse, them only-bones now cost $$!!. I don't know where they get 'em
from --all their meat being pre-vac packed-- but our local sprmkt
sells large soup bones fer several dollars. This is now common, as
the mkts know ppl buy 'em for their dogs. So, what usta be free, they
now charge. 8|

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Thomas wrote:

>> > Since I've never made it, I can't say for sure.

>> I can stare at this response all day.

> Probably very true in Julie's case. She hates bones. She's
> mentioned that many times so she probably has never made stock.

Yep.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-22, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> There aren't many things for free these days. I used to get soup bones
> (with some meat on them) as well as beef fat, both for free.

Yes, I know. That's how I learned dogs can be truly dangerous. We
usta live above an old Italian owned bodega. The brothers who owned
it still butchered full sides of beef and would give us the hip
bones/sockets fer free.

One tenant had a young long-haired shepard dog. The brothers would give
us free hip bones with a round joint/socket the size of a softball. My
buddy's dog could devour this joint in about 30 secs. I'm thinking,
"Holy crap! This dog's jaws could do some serious damage!" I began
giving large dogs a wide berth, after that.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Thomas" > wrote in message
>> > Ok, what is bone broth?

>> Since I've never made it, I can't say for sure.

> Just the nifty new word for stock.

I don't think so.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cshenk > wrote:

> Pressure cooker not suitable.

Heston Blumenthal disagrees:

<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.food.cooking/I7N52F_zt24/Z9oCO8ktE5wJ>

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-22 3:48 PM, notbob wrote:
> On 2017-09-22, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> Yes, I know. That's how I learned dogs can be truly dangerous. We
> usta live above an old Italian owned bodega. The brothers who owned
> it still butchered full sides of beef and would give us the hip
> bones/sockets fer free.
>
> One tenant had a young long-haired shepard dog. The brothers would give
> us free hip bones with a round joint/socket the size of a softball. My
> buddy's dog could devour this joint in about 30 secs. I'm thinking,
> "Holy crap! This dog's jaws could do some serious damage!" I began
> giving large dogs a wide berth, after that.

Many years ago we had a Bouvier des Flandres, a breed reputed to have
the most powerful bite. We lived next door to an Italian grocery
store/butcher. One day I asked for a dog bone. The butcher brought out
an entire cow femur and, standing in front of the band saw, asked me how
big the dog was. I told him it was the dog next door. He gave me the
whole bone.

I took the bone home and gave it to the dog, who was only about 10
months old at the time. She gnawed on it for a couple minutes and then
bit it and split it in half lengthwise.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 18:32:57 -0400, Dave Smith
> wrote:

>On 2017-09-22 3:48 PM, notbob wrote:
>> On 2017-09-22, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

>> Yes, I know. That's how I learned dogs can be truly dangerous. We
>> usta live above an old Italian owned bodega. The brothers who owned
>> it still butchered full sides of beef and would give us the hip
>> bones/sockets fer free.
>>
>> One tenant had a young long-haired shepard dog. The brothers would give
>> us free hip bones with a round joint/socket the size of a softball. My
>> buddy's dog could devour this joint in about 30 secs. I'm thinking,
>> "Holy crap! This dog's jaws could do some serious damage!" I began
>> giving large dogs a wide berth, after that.

>Many years ago we had a Bouvier des Flandres, a breed reputed to have
>the most powerful bite. We lived next door to an Italian grocery
>store/butcher. One day I asked for a dog bone. The butcher brought out
>an entire cow femur and, standing in front of the band saw, asked me how
>big the dog was. I told him it was the dog next door. He gave me the
>whole bone.
>
>I took the bone home and gave it to the dog, who was only about 10
>months old at the time. She gnawed on it for a couple minutes and then
>bit it and split it in half lengthwise.

I love a Bouvier. I remember the first one that I met. I bent over
and gave it a hug -- arms around the dog behind the front legs. I was
stunned to realize that the body wasn't all poofy fur but a really,
really solid body. Nice dogs.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 4:45:31 PM UTC-4, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> > Julie Bove wrote:

> >> Since I've never made it, I can't say for sure.

> > Just the nifty new word for stock.

> I don't think so.

Then what do you think of a fav item? I have a lot of thinks.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> cshenk > wrote:
>
> > Pressure cooker not suitable.

> Heston Blumenthal disagrees:
>
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec...._zt24/Z9oCO8kt
> E5wJ>
>
> Victor

Sorry Victor, disagree.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> Julie Bove wrote:
> >
> > "Thomas" > wrote in message
> > > Ok, what is bone broth?

> > Since I've never made it, I can't say for sure.

> Just the nifty new word for stock.

Actually no. Stock is made with many things and a meat stock is made
with meat. Bone broth is made with bones with (most of the time) as
much meat picked off first as possible.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2017-09-22, jmcquown > wrote:
>
> > Personally I'd rather have a little meat on those bones when making
> > stock or broth.

> (sigh)
>
> Broth/stock comes from the meat, not jes bones. I took a class on
> making veal stock, given by Gary Danko, former head chef at SF's
> Ritz-Carlton. He used $200 worth of veal ribs (with ALL the meat
> still on!) to make his stock.
>
> Worse, them only-bones now cost $$!!. I don't know where they get 'em
> from --all their meat being pre-vac packed-- but our local sprmkt
> sells large soup bones fer several dollars. This is now common, as
> the mkts know ppl buy 'em for their dogs. So, what usta be free, they
> now charge. 8|
>
> nb

Simple. Bake a chicken (or other meat), put the bones to the side in
the freezer and break up. Make bone broth when you have enough bones.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 18:34:42 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Victor Sack wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> cshenk > wrote:
>>
>> > Pressure cooker not suitable.

>> Heston Blumenthal disagrees:
>>
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec...._zt24/Z9oCO8kt
>> E5wJ>
>>
>> Victor

>Sorry Victor, disagree.

cshenk is phobic of being wrong. If the subject will be pursued,
she'll start complicated tribal dances to create such think smoke
screens that nobody realizes how wrong she was anymore. Or so she
thinks, but we all know better

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 18:34:42 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
> > Victor Sack wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> >> Heston Blumenthal disagrees:
> >>

> <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec...._zt24/Z9oCO8kt
> >> E5wJ> >>
> >> Victor

> > Sorry Victor, disagree.

> cshenk is phobic of being wrong. If the subject will be pursued,
> she'll start complicated tribal dances to create such think smoke
> screens that nobody realizes how wrong she was anymore. Or so she
> thinks, but we all know better

There is a difference in disagreeing that a pressure cooker used by a
chef on a time budget leads to the same product as a long slow cooking,
and whatever you think.

You have yet to ever post a recipe. Even Julie has posted some. Some
of them were even decent if plain by my standards.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 20:39:54 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec...._zt24/Z9oCO8kt
>> >
>> > Sorry Victor, disagree.

>> cshenk is phobic of being wrong. If the subject will be pursued,
>> she'll start complicated tribal dances to create such think smoke
>> screens that nobody realizes how wrong she was anymore. Or so she
>> thinks, but we all know better

>There is a difference in disagreeing that a pressure cooker used by a
>chef on a time budget leads to the same product as a long slow cooking,
>and whatever you think.
>
>You have yet to ever post a recipe. Even Julie has posted some. Some
>of them were even decent if plain by my standards.

And there's that smoke screen!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 07:42:38 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
> >Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> Magical fluid that will cure all of your ills. If you google for it,
> >> you'll find a ton of junk-science nutrition sites.
> >>
> >> Still, if I make stock and it doesn't gel in the refrigerator, I
> >> consider it a pretty poor effort.

> >And if it doesn't gel well: as I'm sure you know, it just wasn't
> >concentrated enough.
> >
> >Bone Broth is just the new trending name for stock. Made with
> >bones. Same exact thing. It's just a marketing ploy to make
> >people buy something they think might be new and improved.
> >
> >I looked this morning at the grocery store. Side by side chicken
> >(or beef) stock and chicken (or beef) bone broth. Probably came
> >from the same cooked batch but they charge twice the price for
> >the nifty new bone broth.

> snip
> my stores don't sell the bone broth for twice as much. There's either
> just a couple cents difference or they just carry the bone broth at
> the regular price.
> Way back when I was a new bride I had read that if you have any lemon
> in your kitchen, to add it to your pot when making broth as it would
> help pull the minerals from the bone.

Thanks for tip. There's always something new to be learned from rfc.

I continue that today. The cut
> halves of lemon along with celery, carrot, onion, mushroom and bell
> pepper are all in that bag of stuff that I keep in my freezer for
> making broth. There's another bag full of chicken parts/trimmings and
> another for beef. So when we are having a cold dreary day I am all
> set to make some comfort by making broth.
> Janet US

I make stock with the carcases of roast chicken; it might have been
you who once suggested saving them in the freezer to cook up together,
another useful tip. I also save the heels of celery heads and the hard
rinds from parmesan, to go in the stockpot.

Janet UK

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2017 6:12 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Sep 2017 18:34:42 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:
>
>> Victor Sack wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> Heston Blumenthal disagrees:
>>>
>>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec...._zt24/Z9oCO8kt
>>> E5wJ>
>>>
>>> Victor

>> Sorry Victor, disagree.

> cshenk is phobic of being wrong. If the subject will be pursued,
> she'll start complicated tribal dances to create such think smoke
> screens that nobody realizes how wrong she was anymore. Or so she
> thinks, but we all know better

You are a subhuman excuse for a troll, truly.