Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bread Pudding

I know I don't usually post this late, but I jes made my very first
bread pudding!

Oh, I've eaten it, before, but never made it from almost scratch (I
bought day old bread). Jes popped it outta the oven. Looks pretty
tasty. The entire house smelled great while it baked. I used this
recipe:

<http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/bread_pudding_f/>

......oops! Did I forget salt!?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-21, notbob > wrote:

><http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/bread_pudding_f/>

Ick! Too much sugar!! ....and I have a serious sweet tooth.

Tastes great, but waaaaay too sweet. Shoulda been 1-1/2 cups o' sugar
.....or even 1 C. I think this recipe ywould absolutely kill Jill.
(seriously)

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2017 11:15, notbob wrote:
> On 2017-09-21, notbob > wrote:
>
>> <http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/bread_pudding_f/>

> Ick! Too much sugar!! ....and I have a serious sweet tooth.
>
> Tastes great, but waaaaay too sweet. Shoulda been 1-1/2 cups o' sugar
> ....or even 1 C. I think this recipe ywould absolutely kill Jill.
> (seriously)
>
> nb

LOL nb! That's why I don't make things like bread pudding! I do get
the occasional craving for sweets. I buy cookies - ginger snaps are a
fav. But really, I mostly only buy sugar to make nectar for the
hummingbird feeder. I can't imagine abusing sour dough bread that way. LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2017 11:55, notbob wrote:
> On 2017-09-21, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> LOL nb! That's why I don't make things like bread pudding!

> Yeah, well the rest of it is going in the trash. I like sweets, but
> this was sweet enough to gag-a-maggot! 8|
>
> nb

Obviously that's what Pioneer Woman was going for. The only recipe of
hers I make consistently is this (obviously savory) one:

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/crash-hot-potatoes/

My herb of choice for this is not rosemary, it's dried dill weed.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-21, jmcquown > wrote:

> LOL nb! That's why I don't make things like bread pudding!

Yeah, well the rest of it is going in the trash. I like sweets, but
this was sweet enough to gag-a-maggot! 8|

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21 Sep 2017 15:55:00 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2017-09-21, jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> LOL nb! That's why I don't make things like bread pudding!

>Yeah, well the rest of it is going in the trash. I like sweets, but
>this was sweet enough to gag-a-maggot! 8|
>
>nb

I read her recipe and didn't like it. She has an extreme tolerance
for sweets. When she makes ice cream she tops it with chocolate
sauce, caramel and several kinds of candy. shudder Also, I think a
bread pudding sweet or savory should be soaked, allowed to absorb for
at least several hours so that the bread isn't 'bread' or toast. And,
who needs to carefully place the bread in a pattern. You mix, pour,
soak. IMO
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-21, U.S Janet B > wrote:

> You mix, pour, soak. IMO

Agree. I shoulda let it soak, longer. But, I did add raisins.

After I tasted it, I was glad I didn't waste perfectly good Bourbon on
even more sweetness. 8|

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2017-09-21, jmcquown > wrote:
>
> > LOL nb! That's why I don't make things like bread pudding!

> Yeah, well the rest of it is going in the trash. I like sweets, but
> this was sweet enough to gag-a-maggot! 8|
>
> nb

That's sad. Try again someday and use much less sugar. It's a
good dessert if you get it right.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-21 11:15 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2017-09-21, notbob > wrote:
>
>> <http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/bread_pudding_f/>

> Ick! Too much sugar!! ....and I have a serious sweet tooth.
>
> Tastes great, but waaaaay too sweet. Shoulda been 1-1/2 cups o' sugar
> ....or even 1 C. I think this recipe ywould absolutely kill Jill.
> (seriously)

Yeah, I imagine it would be way too sweet. That recipe calls for about
twice as much sugar as most other bread pudding recipes. Things like
bread pudding that are usually served with a sauce can stand to be a lot
less sweet, and then the sweet tooth can be indulged with extra sauce.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2017-09-21, notbob > wrote:
>
>><http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/bread_pudding_f/>

> Ick! Too much sugar!! ....and I have a serious sweet tooth.
>
> Tastes great, but waaaaay too sweet. Shoulda been 1-1/2 cups o' sugar
> ....or even 1 C. I think this recipe ywould absolutely kill Jill.
> (seriously)
>
> nb

I like a lot of her recipes, but I do tailor many of them to suit my
preference, I do that with a lot of the TV cooks.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:15:14 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"notbob" > wrote in message
>> On 2017-09-21, notbob > wrote:
>>
>>><http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/bread_pudding_f/>

>> Ick! Too much sugar!! ....and I have a serious sweet tooth.
>>
>> Tastes great, but waaaaay too sweet. Shoulda been 1-1/2 cups o' sugar
>> ....or even 1 C. I think this recipe ywould absolutely kill Jill.
>> (seriously)
>>
>> nb

>I like a lot of her recipes, but I do tailor many of them to suit my
>preference, I do that with a lot of the TV cooks.
>
>Cheri

I like her stuff but shy away from her sweets.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 2:43:27 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> I like her stuff but shy away from her sweets.
> Janet US

I've made her dump cake using a yellow cake mix (white would work,
too) and it's terribly sweet. But vanilla ice cream really cuts
through all the sugary taste. I make the cherry, sans pineapple,
version and my nephew is in heaven when he eats it. I've yet to
make a peach or apple version as they keep requesting the cherry
version.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 7:44:33 PM UTC-7, notbob wrote:
> I know I don't usually post this late, but I jes made my very first
> bread pudding!
>
> Oh, I've eaten it, before, but never made it from almost scratch (I
> bought day old bread). Jes popped it outta the oven. Looks pretty
> tasty. The entire house smelled great while it baked. I used this
> recipe:
>
> <http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/bread_pudding_f/>
>
> .....oops! Did I forget salt!?
>
> nb

To me, Commander's Palace is the essential bread pudding. Had it often when I lived there. Sublime.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...y-sauce-104643

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-21 6:09 PM, ImStillMags wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 7:44:33 PM UTC-7, notbob wrote:
>> I know I don't usually post this late, but I jes made my very first
>> bread pudding!
>>
>> Oh, I've eaten it, before, but never made it from almost scratch (I
>> bought day old bread). Jes popped it outta the oven. Looks pretty
>> tasty. The entire house smelled great while it baked. I used this
>> recipe:
>>
>> <http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/bread_pudding_f/>
>>
>> .....oops! Did I forget salt!?
>>
>> nb

> To me, Commander's Palace is the essential bread pudding. Had it often when I lived there. Sublime.
>
> https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/f...y-sauce-104643

That recipe looks like it would be as sweet as notbob's. His recipe had
two cups sugar to two cups milk. This one has only one cup of sugar and
one cup of cream.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2017-09-21, notbob > wrote:
>
> ><http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/bread_pudding_f/>

> Ick! Too much sugar!! ....and I have a serious sweet tooth.
>
> Tastes great, but waaaaay too sweet. Shoulda been 1-1/2 cups o' sugar
> ....or even 1 C. I think this recipe ywould absolutely kill Jill.
> (seriously)
>
> nb

Blech. Sorry, just reading it made me want to sand my eyeballs from
all the sugar.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 9/21/2017 11:15, notbob wrote:
> >On 2017-09-21, notbob > wrote:
> >
> > > <http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/bread_pudding_f/>

> > Ick! Too much sugar!! ....and I have a serious sweet tooth.
> >
> > Tastes great, but waaaaay too sweet. Shoulda been 1-1/2 cups o'
> > sugar ....or even 1 C. I think this recipe ywould absolutely kill
> > Jill. (seriously)
> >
> > nb
> >

> LOL nb! That's why I don't make things like bread pudding! I do get
> the occasional craving for sweets. I buy cookies - ginger snaps are
> a fav. But really, I mostly only buy sugar to make nectar for the
> hummingbird feeder. I can't imagine abusing sour dough bread that
> way. LOL
>
> Jill

I do make the occasional bread pudding but they are savory types, no
sugar added or if it is, it's more like a vanilla/Lavender or honey
sort where the measure to their dish would be 3 TB max.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 11:15:14 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

>>> Ick! Too much sugar!! ....and I have a serious sweet tooth.
>>>
>>> Tastes great, but waaaaay too sweet. Shoulda been 1-1/2 cups o' sugar
>>> ....or even 1 C. I think this recipe ywould absolutely kill Jill.
>>> (seriously)
>>>
>>> nb

>>I like a lot of her recipes, but I do tailor many of them to suit my
>>preference, I do that with a lot of the TV cooks.
>>
>>Cheri

> I like her stuff but shy away from her sweets.
> Janet US

Honestly, I eat very few sweets ever, maybe a bite of two of this or that,
except on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and my birthday.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 4:44:33 PM UTC-10, notbob wrote:
> I know I don't usually post this late, but I jes made my very first
> bread pudding!
>
> Oh, I've eaten it, before, but never made it from almost scratch (I
> bought day old bread). Jes popped it outta the oven. Looks pretty
> tasty. The entire house smelled great while it baked. I used this
> recipe:
>
> <http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/bread_pudding_f/>
>
> .....oops! Did I forget salt!?
>
> nb

I made some bread pudding a couple of weeks ago. It was okay. There was some King's Hawaiian Rolls laying around the house that was getting kinda stale so it was made into pudding. I don't have any comments on Ms. Drummond's recipe except that I agree with her ideas on vanilla usage. I recommend that cooks be liberal when using vanilla. All the old recipes are based on the fact that vanilla was expensive back in the day. In these days of warehouse club vanilla that's no longer the case. I have a couple of pints of the stuff. It cost me about 6 bucks a pint. Prices have gone up since I purchased the bottles but it's still pretty cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...6ORoIUT7wIrLZa
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" wrote in message

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 4:44:33 PM UTC-10, notbob wrote:
> I know I don't usually post this late, but I jes made my very first
> bread pudding!
>
> Oh, I've eaten it, before, but never made it from almost scratch (I
> bought day old bread). Jes popped it outta the oven. Looks pretty
> tasty. The entire house smelled great while it baked. I used this
> recipe:
>
> <http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/bread_pudding_f/>
>
> .....oops! Did I forget salt!?
>
> nb

I made some bread pudding a couple of weeks ago. It was okay. There was some
King's Hawaiian Rolls laying around the house that was getting kinda stale
so it was made into pudding. I don't have any comments on Ms. Drummond's
recipe except that I agree with her ideas on vanilla usage. I recommend that
cooks be liberal when using vanilla. All the old recipes are based on the
fact that vanilla was expensive back in the day. In these days of warehouse
club vanilla that's no longer the case. I have a couple of pints of the
stuff. It cost me about 6 bucks a pint. Prices have gone up since I
purchased the bottles but it's still pretty cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...6ORoIUT7wIrLZa

==

That looks wonderful. Yummie

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-21, ImStillMags > wrote:

> To me, Commander's Palace is the essential bread pudding. Had it
> often when I lived there. Sublime.

<https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/bread-pudding-souffle-with-whiskey-sauce-104643>

I try and use Epicurious recipes, but I only had milk on hand, not
20 oz's o' heavy cream.

I love Cajun/Creole food. Usta have a little hard-cover cookbook that
had all the famous recipes from Naw'lins. No doubt it had some
Commander's Palace recipes in it. Brennan's Bananas Foster came out
perfect, but I never got around to doing a full-on Café Brűlot:

<https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cafe-Brulot-350239>

I've tried many recipes from this webpage, too. All excellent!:

<http://www.gumbopages.com/food/>

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2017-09-21, U.S Janet B > wrote:
>
> > You mix, pour, soak. IMO

> Agree. I shoulda let it soak, longer. But, I did add raisins.
>
> After I tasted it, I was glad I didn't waste perfectly good Bourbon on
> even more sweetness. 8|

You don't want to put bourbon IN bread pudding. It's the white
sauce topping that someone suggested that contains the bourbon. I
tried Martha Stewarts recipe for the white sauce. Too much
bourbon. My bread pudding without a sauce topping was very good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-23 12:52 PM, Gary wrote:
> notbob wrote:

> You don't want to put bourbon IN bread pudding. It's the white
> sauce topping that someone suggested that contains the bourbon. I
> tried Martha Stewarts recipe for the white sauce. Too much
> bourbon. My bread pudding without a sauce topping was very good.

I wonder how Emeril would handle it. He used to have the idea that is
some was good more was better and always seemed to add way too much booze.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 12:35:26 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:

> I wonder how Emeril would handle it. He used to have the idea that is
> some was good more was better and always seemed to add way too much booze.

Some people at work had the same attitude about rum balls. They usually
just ended up tasting like gasoline to me.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 10:43:01 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 12:35:26 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> I wonder how Emeril would handle it. He used to have the idea that is
>> some was good more was better and always seemed to add way too much booze.
>>

>Some people at work had the same attitude about rum balls. They usually
>just ended up tasting like gasoline to me.

In my experience it depends upon the rum balls recipe. I like rum
balls but I want a certain texture and a certain taste. I haven't
made or tasted any in years and years.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> In my experience it depends upon the rum balls recipe. I like rum
>> balls but I want a certain texture and a certain taste. I haven't
>> made or tasted any in years and years.
>> Janet US
>>

> When I uaed to make them I always used Meyer's Plantation Rum, a very
> rummy flavor.

I bet the spiced rums that are out now would be great too!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" wrote:

> On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 12:35:26 PM UTC-5, Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > I wonder how Emeril would handle it. He used to have the idea that is
> > some was good more was better and always seemed to add way too much booze.
> >

> Some people at work had the same attitude about rum balls. They usually
> just ended up tasting like gasoline to me.

LMAO! Funny. I don't drink bourbon but I do like a hint of it
in bbq sauce which made me buy a pint almost 2 years ago. I
finally got a good honey-bourbon bbq sauce but only after several
tries and each one, I reduced the amount of bourbon.

Same deal with the Martha Stewart icing for bread pudding recipe.
I trusted her and made it as stated but it was way too strong. I
ended up tossing it. If I try it again, I'll start with 1/4 the
amount that she said.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-23 2:17 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

>> Some people at work had the same attitude about rum balls. They usually
>> just ended up tasting like gasoline to me.

> In my experience it depends upon the rum balls recipe. I like rum
> balls but I want a certain texture and a certain taste. I haven't
> made or tasted any in years and years.

To some degree... like the amount of rum in the recipe. I like rum balls
and I like rum, but there should be a little more than a hint, not an
overpowering amount of rum.

The last time we were in Paris my wife had ordered "Savarin Cake Imbibed
in Rum". It was more like drowning in rum.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-23 2:31 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sat 23 Sep 2017 10:36:18a, Dave Smith told us...
>>
>> I wonder how Emeril would handle it. He used to have the idea that
>> is some was good more was better and always seemed to add way too
>> much booze.
>>

> He added way too much booze to his belly, too!

Perhaps, but he could not hold a candle to Graham Kerr's alcohol
intake... the old fun Graham Kerr.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 1:17:37 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 10:43:01 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
> >>

> >Some people at work had the same attitude about rum balls. They usually
> >just ended up tasting like gasoline to me.

> In my experience it depends upon the rum balls recipe. I like rum
> balls but I want a certain texture and a certain taste. I haven't
> made or tasted any in years and years.
> Janet US

These were so strong I was afraid to light a cigarette after consuming
one. Since I quit smoking 17 years ago, it's been awhile since I've
had any rum balls. The person making these admitted he had doubled the
amount of rum called for.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 1:32:21 PM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> > On Sat, 23 Sep 2017 10:43:01 -0700 (PDT),
> > " > wrote:
> >
> >>Some people at work had the same attitude about rum balls. They
> >>usually just ended up tasting like gasoline to me.

> When I used to make them I always used Meyer's Plantation Rum, a very
> rummy flavor.

But I'm guessing you didn't double or triple the amount of called for.