Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shelf Stable Milk

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> Given a choice of different milks, I like powdered milk (mix with water)
> much
> better tasting than evaporated milk.
>
> N.

I don't care for either to drink.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> Given a choice of different milks, I like powdered milk (mix with water) much
> better tasting than evaporated milk.

To drink or use in cold cereal, I'll buy whole milk and use it
within a few days while it's still very fresh. For cooking, I'll
use older milk or the canned stuff.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-21, jmcquown > wrote:

> My mother bought it when we were kids, trying to save money.....

Been down that road.

Even worse, I hadda drink powdered milk --again!-- when I was in my
late teens. In the USAF, I got stationed in Lybia NA (pre-Gaddafi)
and we hadda drink "reconstituted" (read "powdered") milk. It was so
bad, ya' hadda choose chocolate milk cuz the white stuff was
absolutely horrible.

OTOH, a small carton of USAF recon milk (yes, even came in half-pint
cartons) and a loaf of locally made bread (looked like a Bánh mi
baguette) may have been one of the best tasting food combos I ever
ate. Trouble was, this particular combo --no matter how good it may
have tasted-- would have you dashing fer the latrine within 15 mins.

True tale.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2017 12:56 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Nancy2" > wrote in message
>> Given a choice of different milks, I like powdered milk (mix with
>> water) much
>> better tasting than evaporated milk.
>>
>> N.

> I don't care for either to drink.
>
> Cheri

Same here, though my favorite ice cream is vanilla. I like custard and
many other milk products.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 2017-09-21, cshenk > wrote:
> >
> > Exceptionally good in a chowder! Totally agree. It's also a good
> > choice from crockpot use as it's not going to curdle like regular
> > milk or cream will.

> I did not know that!!
>
> Thnx fer the tip, Carol. BTW, gotta recipe fer a crockpot/evap milk
> chowder? Winter's coming and I'm ina cooking mood!
>
> nb

Several!

Here's a main one. It's a seafood chowder. I tested several and
adjusted to come up with this one.

Later renditions I used worstershire and liked it but the pure simple
without it stands on it's own. A hit with the 'I like it hot' crowd
for this one is Cholula hot sauce at serving time.

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.05

Title: Seafood Chowder, Crockpot
Categories: Crockpot, Seafood, Xxcarol
Yield: 4 Servings

1 1/2 lb White fleshed fish*
3 sl Uncooked bacon or some olive
-oil**
1 md Onion, diced. Consider
-Sweet Vidalia but can use
-regular
1/2 c Diced onion greens (or
-more)
2 Red or white potatoes, cubed
-(unpeeled unless using
-russet potatoes)
1 1/2 c Water
1 1/2 ts Salt,
1/4 ts Black or white pepper
13 oz Can evaporated milk.

Snapper, Lingcod, Sea Bass good choices (mix several types for best
results but avoid using much Cod as it will fall apart) Chop
bitesized.

(More bacon is not going to make it better and will make it too
greasy) Healthy Heart tip: Use Sizzelean Chop small.

Well! Yet another crockpot favorite surfaces. This one holds well
for 2 days but no longer. Suggest removing and freezing 1/2 at the
one day point to re-warm in the microwave later.

Saute onion in bacon until translucent, then add all but the milk to
the crockpot and cook 2.5 hours on high, or 8 hours on low. Add the
milk, and cook one more hour. Ready to serve!

Nutritional information: Relatively low fat for this type of dish,
lowish in sodium depending on type of fish used. Sugar free so
suitable for diabetics/hypoglycemics.

Makes about 12 servings. Serving suggestion: with a green leafy
salad, a mild dressing of olive oil and parmesean cheese, and hot
toasted crusty bread with a sliver of velveeta cheese toasted with
the bread and spread on top. xxcarol

From: xxcarol Date: 05-30-1999 Cooking

MMMMM

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 9/21/2017 10:30, Nancy2 wrote:
> > Given a choice of different milks, I like powdered milk (mix with
> > water) much better tasting than evaporated milk.
> >
> > N.
> >

> Since I like to drink milk as well as cook with it, I have to say I
> can't stand powdered milk. My mother bought it when we were kids,
> trying to save money I guess. She served it with our breakfast
> cereal. Ugh! I do have some on hand for emergencies but since I've
> never actually had a milk emergency I'd rather not.
>
> Jill

Tastes like Tide would I imagine. I use powdered only for baking.
Works in bread recipes well enough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2017 21:14, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 19:16:47 -0500, cshenk wrote:
>
>> (More bacon is not going to make it better and will make it too
>> greasy) Healthy Heart tip: Use Sizzelean Chop small.

> Sizzlean - another one of those products that was discontinued decades
> ago and nobody even noticed.
>
> sw

I vaguely remember hearing about this product. Not sure what it was.

An aside: I've been having computer problems lately. The time and date
won't set correctly. Sometimes it thinks it's yesterday, sometimes
military time, sometimes AM when it's PM and vice versa. It's irritating.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2017 7:14 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> nobody even noticed.
>
> sw

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg

Hide the Ho Ho's!!!!!!!!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri, I don't like either one, either, but I was responding to a situation with no
refrigeration....

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> Cheri, I don't like either one, either, but I was responding to a
> situation with no
> refrigeration....
>
> N.

Yes, I know. I was just offering my opinion on them for drinking.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 8:12:20 AM UTC-5, Gary wrote:
> " wrote:
> >
> > On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 12:32:26 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> > >
> > > I use canned milk for custard pies. I wouldn't think of using fresh milk for that purpose these days. The last flan I made used one can of evaporated milk and one can of condensed milk. The results were most pleasing. In my awesome opinion, custards made with canned milk are better.
> > >

> > That's why I suggested the next time Gary makes bread pudding he should
> > try a can of evaporated milk.

> And I listened to you. I bought some evaporated milk this
> morning. I plan to make one more bread pudding batch soon before
> I tire of it for a year or so.
>
> This evaporated milk thing started with you recommending it for
> the bourbon to pour over the bread pudding. So now you are saying
> to use it also in the pudding mix? I think I'll stick to whole
> milk for the pudding as it's fine. I will try again with that
> "icing" to pour over it. This time I'll use the evaporated milk
> and start small with the bourbon, taste it, then maybe add more
> if necessary.
>
> Thank you Joan for the evap advice - I can see how it would be
> better than plain milk....more concentrated and perhaps more
> cream-like. Way more expensive too though, I might add.

Ok, maybe I'm reading incorrectly but I mentioned nothing about
bourbon, just the evaporated milk. Use it in the pudding portion,
I don't know what you'll use for the sauce.

First time I made it I used whole milk and it was rather bland
even with sugar and vanilla. Next time I made it with a can
of evaporated milk and what a difference! I might add I can
purchase a can of Kroger brand evaporated milk for under a
buck.

I've tried my best to duplicate my mother's bread pudding
which was made out of leftover biscuits. So far, I've
failed each time. Sniff-sniff. I've also made it out of
leftover croissants, now that is a rich pudding!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 9:30:42 AM UTC-5, Nancy2 wrote:

> Given a choice of different milks, I like powdered milk (mix with water) much
> better tasting than evaporated milk.
>
> N.

When I was a kid we drank powdered milk with a can of evaporated milk
added to perk up the flavor. I drank it but I didn't like it but it
didn't put me off of real milk!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Personally, I don't want a "crust" on my ice cream. I like vanilla
> drizzled with butterscotch topping from time to time. I can't imagine
> pouring evaporated milk on ice cream. How about you try it, Gary, and
> report back.

I've got both now but I'm in no hurry to open the can of
evaporated milk over a bowl of ice cream. Sounds worthless and
also redundant to me. I'm willing to bet Sheldon has never
actually done that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2017 12:50 PM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Personally, I don't want a "crust" on my ice cream. I like vanilla
>> drizzled with butterscotch topping from time to time. I can't imagine
>> pouring evaporated milk on ice cream. How about you try it, Gary, and
>> report back.

> I've got both now but I'm in no hurry to open the can of
> evaporated milk over a bowl of ice cream. Sounds worthless and
> also redundant to me. I'm willing to bet Sheldon has never
> actually done that.

I don't see it as a benefit, but a detraction from really good ice
cream. IMO, plain milk would ruin the flavored cream.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 6:49:46 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:

> I've got both now but I'm in no hurry to open the can of
> evaporated milk over a bowl of ice cream. Sounds worthless and
> also redundant to me. I'm willing to bet Sheldon has never
> actually done that.

Condensed milk is a popular topping for shave ice over here and in other tropical countries. We call it a "snow cap." The Filipinos use condensed milk in their famous halo-halo. Of course, it's used in Vietnamese coffee and Thai iced tea. Evaporated milk on ice cream sounds goofy. Don't open that can!

http://ot-foodspotting-production.s3...jpg?1324695301
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The best bread pudding I have ever had was from our University Memorial Union chef,
who used whatever muffins and breads happened to be leftover, in good supply, with raisins added.
It was SO good!

I have also heard that that Jewish holiday egg-rich bread...Challah?...is really good for
bread pudding. I can imagine...... ;-))

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> http://ot-foodspotting-production.s3...jpg?1324695301

ha. The left side of that looks a lot like Saturn. Is that God's
breakfast, ready to munch on our 5th and cold planet from the
sun? heheh
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:

> dsi1 wrote:
> >
> > http://ot-foodspotting-production.s3...jpg?1324695301

> ha. The left side of that looks a lot like Saturn. Is that God's
> breakfast, ready to munch on our 5th and cold planet from the
> sun? heheh

Ah crap. I did mean Jupiter, not Saturn. oh well.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/24/2017 9:29 AM, Gary wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>>
>> dsi1 wrote:
>>>
>>> http://ot-foodspotting-production.s3...jpg?1324695301

>> ha. The left side of that looks a lot like Saturn. Is that God's
>> breakfast, ready to munch on our 5th and cold planet from the
>> sun? heheh

> Ah crap. I did mean Jupiter, not Saturn. oh well.

Good call regardless.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 24, 2017 at 4:52:50 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:

> ha. The left side of that looks a lot like Saturn. Is that God's
> breakfast, ready to munch on our 5th and cold planet from the
> sun? heheh

It could be. Saturn is God's fidget spinner.