Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Entemann's

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 15:33:37 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 9/20/2017 1:39 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 7:22:41 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> It goes as follows: you buy a real bread and you eat it before it goes
>>> stale. I'm told that in the old days, you could even buy half a loaf.
>>> How advanced is that?

>> I understand the principle. People would walk down to their local bakery after work or during their daily errands to pick up a loaf of bread. How so very quaint. What has that got to do with the way Americans live? Nuttin.
>>

>Ah, some of us still do that. I can't buy a half loaf though, but you
>can in parts of Europe. When I buy raisin bread I usually give half to
>a friend.
>
>In the big cities there are still bakeries where you can do that. When
>I lived in Philly I could walk to three different bakeries for bread.
>Maybe you don't have that in the middle of the Pacific ocean, but we
>still do in many parts of our America.

Maybe it's all prefab on his rock. Note to self: Don't live on a rock.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 1:22:41 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 10:20:12 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
> >On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 4:03:15 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> >>
> >> Why are they necessary? For a couple of centuries cakes were made
> >> without them. I made a cake on Sunday. Flour, sugar, milk, eggs,
> >> butter, vanilla, baking powder, salt. No other chemicals and tastes
> >> better than anything from a package.
> >>
> >> Necessary usually translates to cheaper, longer lasting, more profitable.
> >>
> >> Same with ice cream. Gums are cheaper than mild and fruit. The best
> >> ice cream does not have them.

> >For a fun science experiment, you can buy a doughnut at your local bakery, wrap it up, then try eating it after a week or two. What these stabilizers and preservatives are able to do to certain foods is simply amazing. People say they don't like preservatives in their foods but just try living in a world without them.

> It goes as follows: you buy a real bread and you eat it before it goes
> stale. I'm told that in the old days, you could even buy half a loaf.
> How advanced is that?

I can buy half a loaf at my local bakery. Usually, though, I buy a whole
loaf and freeze it. Not as good as fresh bread, but it keeps the bread
from going stale (or moldy), and I can go to the bakery (and resist its
other temptations) once a week rather than more often.

Ingredients: flour, water, salt, yeast.

Grocery store bread is dismal.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 13:01:18 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 1:22:41 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 10:20:12 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>> >For a fun science experiment, you can buy a doughnut at your local bakery, wrap it up, then try eating it after a week or two. What these stabilizers and preservatives are able to do to certain foods is simply amazing. People say they don't like preservatives in their foods but just try living in a world without them.

>> It goes as follows: you buy a real bread and you eat it before it goes
>> stale. I'm told that in the old days, you could even buy half a loaf.
>> How advanced is that?

>I can buy half a loaf at my local bakery. Usually, though, I buy a whole
>loaf and freeze it. Not as good as fresh bread, but it keeps the bread
>from going stale (or moldy), and I can go to the bakery (and resist its
>other temptations) once a week rather than more often.
>
>Ingredients: flour, water, salt, yeast.

That's it.

>Grocery store bread is dismal.

Yes, even frozen real bread beats it hands down.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 9:58:03 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> Maybe it's all prefab on his rock. Note to self: Don't live on a rock.

You got it backwards buckaroo. That kind of stuff is more prevalent in small, isolated, communities. Picking up your daily bread at small bakeries is a rather provincial thing to do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 13:38:16 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 9:58:03 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Maybe it's all prefab on his rock. Note to self: Don't live on a rock.

>You got it backwards buckaroo. That kind of stuff is more prevalent in small, isolated, communities. Picking up your daily bread at small bakeries is a rather provincial thing to do.

I'm sure you can do it in big cities too. You'll even have more
choice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 4:38:22 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 9:58:03 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
> >
> > Maybe it's all prefab on his rock. Note to self: Don't live on a rock.

> You got it backwards buckaroo. That kind of stuff is more prevalent in small, isolated, communities. Picking up your daily bread at small bakeries is a rather provincial thing to do.

New York City. Very provincial.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2017 1:58 PM, Bruce wrote:
> Note to self: Don't live on a rock.

Stick with the fatal shore and its many killer insects and reptiles.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 1:22:41 PM UTC-4, Bruce wrote:
> > On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 10:20:12 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> > wrote:

> > made >> without them. I made a cake on Sunday. Flour, sugar,
> > milk, eggs, >> butter, vanilla, baking powder, salt. No other
> > chemicals and tastes >> better than anything from a package.

> > profitable. >>

> > best >> ice cream does not have them.
> > >
> > > For a fun science experiment, you can buy a doughnut at your
> > > local bakery, wrap it up, then try eating it after a week or two.
> > > What these stabilizers and preservatives are able to do to
> > > certain foods is simply amazing. People say they don't like
> > > preservatives in their foods but just try living in a world
> > > without them.

> > It goes as follows: you buy a real bread and you eat it before it
> > goes stale. I'm told that in the old days, you could even buy half
> > a loaf. How advanced is that?

> I can buy half a loaf at my local bakery. Usually, though, I buy a
> whole loaf and freeze it. Not as good as fresh bread, but it keeps
> the bread from going stale (or moldy), and I can go to the bakery
> (and resist its other temptations) once a week rather than more often.
>
> Ingredients: flour, water, salt, yeast.
>
> Grocery store bread is dismal.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

But real fresh is best!

Since I have so much rye, I made an experiment Sunday.

1 1/3C water plus 1 TB (thinking +2 would be better)
3 TB butter (I was a little short, maybe that's why I think a little
more water?)
2 2/3 cup bread flour
1 1/3 cup rye flour
3 TB vanilla lavender sugar (original was brown sugar)
2 ts Bakers Brew coffee spice (original was caraway)
1 ts salt
2 ts yeast

Dough mode then shape, let rise in a slow oven (just the light on) for
1 hour then remove, preheat to 400F and bake 17 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>> > I've been getting their products for at least 40 years, AND my taste
>> > buds are JUST as good as THEY used to be, and no matter WHO owns them,
>> > they're using the same recipe and ingredients, and the products are
>> > JUST FINE.
>> >
>> > If YOU feel differnetly, YOU changed, NOT them.
>> >

>> If I changed, t was for the better so I'm good with that. I'd like to
>> compare the ingredient lists from 30 or 40 years ago.

>You cannot compare taste from 30-40 years memory to what you
>taste today. I never expected YOU to go there. The only
>reasonable way to compare 2 products is to taste both side by
>side. I ate Entenmenn's back in the 80's occasionally. I still
>like them today.
>
>Stupid to compare what you ate this morning to what you remember
>eating 40 years ago. Get real.

Ed wanted to see the LIST of ingredients from 40 years ago... would
have been a much shorter list. In the '50s commercial icecream was
much different from today's, it was as natural as the best homemade,
was far better than today's premium ice creams. My favorites were
Louis Sherry and Dolly Madison... back then Good Humor was an
excellent natural ice cream, I liked their coconut and toasted
coconut. One summer I drove a Bungalow Bar truck, was a low end ice
cream but much better than today's premiums.
Today's best commercial ice creams are in the same catagory as today's
mystery meat fast food burgers compared to home ground burgers. Ben &
Jerrys is overly sugared crap, it's more a cheap confection than a
quality ice cream. The best ice cream by far is sold at Spumoni
Gardens in Brooklyn NY... spumoni to die for, one taste and any
spumoni sold in Italy is garbage.
http://www.spumonigardens.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2017 9:30 PM, wrote:

>>> If I changed, t was for the better so I'm good with that. I'd like to
>>> compare the ingredient lists from 30 or 40 years ago.

>> You cannot compare taste from 30-40 years memory to what you
>> taste today. I never expected YOU to go there. The only
>> reasonable way to compare 2 products is to taste both side by
>> side. I ate Entenmenn's back in the 80's occasionally. I still
>> like them today.
>>
>> Stupid to compare what you ate this morning to what you remember
>> eating 40 years ago. Get real.

> Ed wanted to see the LIST of ingredients from 40 years ago... would
> have been a much shorter list. In the '50s commercial icecream was
> much different from today's, it was as natural as the best homemade,
> was far better than today's premium ice creams. My favorites were
> Louis Sherry and Dolly Madison... back then Good Humor was an
> excellent natural ice cream, I liked their coconut and toasted
> coconut. One summer I drove a Bungalow Bar truck, was a low end ice
> cream but much better than today's premiums.
> Today's best commercial ice creams are in the same catagory as today's
> mystery meat fast food burgers compared to home ground burgers. Ben &
> Jerrys is overly sugared crap, it's more a cheap confection than a
> quality ice cream. The best ice cream by far is sold at Spumoni
> Gardens in Brooklyn NY... spumoni to die for, one taste and any
> spumoni sold in Italy is garbage.

http://www.spumonigardens.com/

Perfect example is Breyers vanilla ice cream. Milk, cream, sugar,
vanilla extract. It was my favorite and I ate it for years. Suddenly it
had gums, fillers, other crap in it and it was terrible. So bad, they
have discontinued it finally. They now have a natural vanilla but it
still has Tara gum.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-21, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> They now have a natural vanilla but it still has Tara gum.

I know. Hard to find a decent ice cream.

I jes want something with a lotta nuts (no comments from the peanut
gallery!). Any flavor will do.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
9.45...
> On Mon 18 Sep 2017 11:37:13p, Julie Bove told us...
>
>> Does anyone know what happened to this brand? I used to buy the
>> coffee cakes years ago. I never liked them but everyone else
>> seemed to. People were known to eat a whole box all by themselves.
>> But now? I rarely see the brand. Once in a while I see donuts.
>> They seem expensive. About $4 for 6. No way. They're not even
>> fresh!!
>>

> A full range of Entemann products is carried by almost every
> supermarket in the Phoenix area, including the donuts. I like all
> their products except for the donuts. Having said that, I have never
> liked pre-packaged/boxed donuts. The chocolate coating on their donuts
> taste like wax and they're always dry. If I want donuts I buy them
> fresh at a donut shop. Fresh donuts from a donut shop will cost you
> more than $4 for 6 of them.
>
> Just as an aside, Julie, it seems from your many posts that you have
> trouble finding many food prodicts where you live. When we lived
> further out in the desert we had to drive anywhere from 30 to 40 miles
> to go to a supermarket. Now that we live in the city there's
> practically nothing I have trouble finding.

I checked and we only have the donuts here. I didn't even really want to buy
the other products. Just wondered where they went.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 01:10:50 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
>
>>On Mon 18 Sep 2017 11:37:13p, Julie Bove told us...
>>
>>> Does anyone know what happened to this brand? I used to buy the
>>> coffee cakes years ago. I never liked them but everyone else
>>> seemed to. People were known to eat a whole box all by themselves.
>>> But now? I rarely see the brand. Once in a while I see donuts.
>>> They seem expensive. About $4 for 6. No way. They're not even
>>> fresh!!
>>>

>>A full range of Entemann products is carried by almost every
>>supermarket in the Phoenix area, including the donuts. I like all
>>their products except for the donuts. Having said that, I have never
>>liked pre-packaged/boxed donuts. The chocolate coating on their donuts
>>taste like wax and they're always dry.

> I think I know why you don't like their donuts. Here are the
> ingredients for Entenmann Rich Frosted Donuts:
>
> "Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Shortening (Soybean, Cottonseed),
> Sugar, Unbleached Enriched Wheat Flour (Flour, Malted Barley Flour,
> Reduced Iron, Niacin, Thiamin Mononitrate (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Folic
> Acid), Water, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Nonfat Milk, Soy Flour,
> Egg Yolks, Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium
> Aluminum Phosphate), Natural & Artificial Flavors, High Fructose Corn
> Syrup, Dextrose, Pregelatinized Wheat Starch, Corn Syrup, Salt, Soy
> Lecithin, Sorbitan Monostearate, Polysorbate 60, Mono- And
> Diglycerides, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Cellulose Gum, Guar
> Gum, Tapioca Dextrin, Xanthan Gum, Karaya Gum, Beta Carotene (Color),
> Caramel Color."
>
> Yo mama!

I don't really like any donuts. Perhaps vegan ones. I did make some yummy
lemon and coconut ones but they were a PITA to make and you
know...diabetes...so...can't really eat more than one tiny one.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 11:21:18 +1000, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 01:10:50 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>>
>>>On Mon 18 Sep 2017 11:37:13p, Julie Bove told us...

>>>A full range of Entemann products is carried by almost every
>>>supermarket in the Phoenix area, including the donuts. I like all
>>>their products except for the donuts. Having said that, I have never
>>>liked pre-packaged/boxed donuts. The chocolate coating on their donuts
>>>taste like wax and they're always dry.

>>I think I know why you don't like their donuts. Here are the
>>ingredients for Entenmann Rich Frosted Donuts:
>>
>>"Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Shortening (Soybean, Cottonseed),
>>Sugar, Unbleached Enriched Wheat Flour (Flour, Malted Barley Flour,
>>Reduced Iron, Niacin, Thiamin Mononitrate (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Folic
>>Acid), Water, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Nonfat Milk, Soy Flour,
>>Egg Yolks, Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium
>>Aluminum Phosphate), Natural & Artificial Flavors, High Fructose Corn
>>Syrup, Dextrose, Pregelatinized Wheat Starch, Corn Syrup, Salt, Soy
>>Lecithin, Sorbitan Monostearate, Polysorbate 60, Mono- And
>>Diglycerides, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Cellulose Gum, Guar
>>Gum, Tapioca Dextrin, Xanthan Gum, Karaya Gum, Beta Carotene (Color),
>>Caramel Color."
>>
>>Yo mama!

> Today most packaged baked goods use similar ingredients... difficult
> to find an honest loaf of packaged bread.

Not here. Plenty of local bakeries. I buy these occasionally. Some might
have issues with the soy and palm but they are tasty and I only have them
once in an while.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/19/2017 10:53 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
>> On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 14:44:46 GMT, l not -l wrote:
>>
>>> If I were the one with this dilemma, I'd visit the Entemann's
>>> website, https://www.entenmanns.com/en, especially their store
>>> locator page, which asks what product you want and your zipcode.
>>> https://www.entenmanns.com/en/store-locator

>> I checked a few zip codes across the country and you either have a
>> mostly full selection, just the donuts, or nothing at all. I'm in the
>> later category. I would buy on of their coffee cakes/streudels if
>> they had them here (but they don't, so I won't).
>>
>> -sw
>>

> You've not missed much.
>
> Many years ago Entemanns was decent but I'd no longer bother with the
> soggy strudels.

That's exactly how I thought of them. Soggy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/20/2017 9:41 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Bruce wrote:

>>> The fact that we don't know much yet, is even more reason not to eat
>>> crazy science projects.

>> If you were actually educated and degreed as a chemist and
>> specialized in food prep, you might realize the necessity for
>> certain chemicals in food. Don't be so paranoid. Eat what you
>> like, just not a whole lot of it.
>>

> Why are they necessary? For a couple of centuries cakes were made without
> them. I made a cake on Sunday. Flour, sugar, milk, eggs, butter,
> vanilla, baking powder, salt. No other chemicals and tastes better than
> anything from a package.
>
> Necessary usually translates to cheaper, longer lasting, more profitable.
>
> Same with ice cream. Gums are cheaper than mild and fruit. The best ice
> cream does not have them.

People have gotten used to eating crap. Give them real food and they think
it tastes weird.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 10:20:12 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 4:03:15 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>>
>>> Why are they necessary? For a couple of centuries cakes were made
>>> without them. I made a cake on Sunday. Flour, sugar, milk, eggs,
>>> butter, vanilla, baking powder, salt. No other chemicals and tastes
>>> better than anything from a package.
>>>
>>> Necessary usually translates to cheaper, longer lasting, more
>>> profitable.
>>>
>>> Same with ice cream. Gums are cheaper than mild and fruit. The best
>>> ice cream does not have them.

>>For a fun science experiment, you can buy a doughnut at your local bakery,
>>wrap it up, then try eating it after a week or two. What these stabilizers
>>and preservatives are able to do to certain foods is simply amazing.
>>People say they don't like preservatives in their foods but just try
>>living in a world without them.

> It goes as follows: you buy a real bread and you eat it before it goes
> stale. I'm told that in the old days, you could even buy half a loaf.
> How advanced is that?

I wish we could buy a half loaf today. Used to be a bakery near where I
lived that sold very small loaves. Not so good for sandwiches, unless
perhaps you sliced them lengthwise, but good for soup or salad.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 7:22:41 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> It goes as follows: you buy a real bread and you eat it before it goes
>> stale. I'm told that in the old days, you could even buy half a loaf.
>> How advanced is that?

> I understand the principle. People would walk down to their local bakery
> after work or during their daily errands to pick up a loaf of bread. How
> so very quaint. What has that got to do with the way Americans live?
> Nuttin.

Unless perhaps you live in a big city where you can still do that.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 20:11:33 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 7:22:41 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> It goes as follows: you buy a real bread and you eat it before it goes
>>> stale. I'm told that in the old days, you could even buy half a loaf.
>>> How advanced is that?

>> I understand the principle. People would walk down to their local bakery
>> after work or during their daily errands to pick up a loaf of bread. How
>> so very quaint. What has that got to do with the way Americans live?
>> Nuttin.

>Unless perhaps you live in a big city where you can still do that.

He probably thinks his rock represents the entire US. It doesn't.
That's why it's called "this rock".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 20:08:54 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

>>> If you were actually educated and degreed as a chemist and
>>> specialized in food prep, you might realize the necessity for
>>> certain chemicals in food. Don't be so paranoid. Eat what you
>>> like, just not a whole lot of it.
>>>

>> Why are they necessary? For a couple of centuries cakes were made without
>> them. I made a cake on Sunday. Flour, sugar, milk, eggs, butter,
>> vanilla, baking powder, salt. No other chemicals and tastes better than
>> anything from a package.
>>
>> Necessary usually translates to cheaper, longer lasting, more profitable.
>>
>> Same with ice cream. Gums are cheaper than mild and fruit. The best ice
>> cream does not have them.

>People have gotten used to eating crap. Give them real food and they think
>it tastes weird.

Yes, someone in this newsgroup prefers the fake stuff, because "the
industry knows how to make it taste good". I'm not naming any names,
but he loves ferrets.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 10:43:26 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> I'm sure you can do it in big cities too. You'll even have more
> choice.

I can't imagine a person that has such a skewed view of Americans life. American don't buy bread from small bakeries every day. I suppose that some might but they're obviously living in some kind of French movie fantasy. You might want to do some research on life in America before dreaming up your fantasies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 20:58:17 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 10:43:26 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> I'm sure you can do it in big cities too. You'll even have more
>> choice.

>I can't imagine a person that has such a skewed view of Americans life. American don't buy bread from small bakeries every day. I suppose that some might but they're obviously living in some kind of French movie fantasy. You might want to do some research on life in America before dreaming up your fantasies.

All I'm saying is thet you have a choice. You can buy real bread from
a bakery or crap bread from a supermarket. If the sheeple buy the
supermarket bread, that's up to them, but they have the choice. Didn't
you know the US was the land of opportunities?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 6:01:45 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> All I'm saying is thet you have a choice. You can buy real bread from
> a bakery or crap bread from a supermarket. If the sheeple buy the
> supermarket bread, that's up to them, but they have the choice. Didn't
> you know the US was the land of opportunities?

Wow - big newsflash. People can buy bread in different locations. I'm stunned!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Heh. I tried the stuff. Yucky.

> Hey wait...didn't you just tell us you couldn't even find
> Entenmann's?
> LOL! Julie, you've reverted back to the old classic "julie mode,"
> you don't like any food or suggestions. And you are cooking for
> someone else (and the dog) ?

Can't find them *now* except for the donuts. I bought the coffee cakes years
ago. Husband loved them. So did coworkers. I just wondered if they still
made the stuff. Now I know. They do. Just not available here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
> On 9/20/2017 9:38 AM, Gary wrote:
>> Julie Bove wrote:
>>>
>>> Heh. I tried the stuff. Yucky.

>> Hey wait...didn't you just tell us you couldn't even find
>> Entenmann's?
>> LOL! Julie, you've reverted back to the old classic "julie mode,"
>> you don't like any food or suggestions. And you are cooking for
>> someone else (and the dog) ?
>>

> She used to live in the east where they are in many stores.

They used to be widely available here. We sold them at the K Mart where I
worked. Someone in our office bought the stuff almost daily.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2017-09-20, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>> She used to live in the east where they are in many stores.

> They've been in stores, out West, fer decades. I cannot ever recall a
> time when I did NOT see Entemann's snails, bear claws, etc, on the
> sprmkt shelf. Got 'em here in CO, too. Even at 10K ft elev.
>
> nb

Only the donuts here.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Gary wrote:
>> > I might be mistaken but didn't the old frosting only consist of
>> > crisco and powdered sugar?

>> Before Crisco there was (drumroll, please): Butter!
>>
>> Not as stable as Crisco, but much, much tastier.

> I would agree. Even using just Crisco and sugar, some butter
> added could only make it better.

Margarine or coconut oil would be better than Crisco.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> You live in such an odd place. In my community the bakers
>>> deliver direct to the restaurants first thing in the a.m. The
>>> stuff is still warm. Does everyone rip everyone else off where
>>> you are? i have no desire to visit New York. It sounds horrible.
>>> Janet US

>> It is.
>>

> When you refer to how horrible New York is, are you referring to NYC
> or any of the 5 boroughs, or to the any beautiful and wnderful parts
> of New York State?

I lived on Staten Island. Horrible. Upstate is nice.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 5:11:39 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

> Unless perhaps you live in a big city where you can still do that.

I don't live in the big city but I sure can buy a baguette every single day. I don't do that because that thought has never occurred to me and I'm just not that into bread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"notbob" > wrote in message
> On 2017-09-20, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:
>
>> I love NYC. Lived there for a few years many years ago. During the
>> years I lived in Cleveland I made trips to NYC at least 3-4 times
>> every year.....

> If I lived in Cleveland, I'd love NYC, also.
>
> nb

Heh!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 10:45:22 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> snip
>>
>>When you refer to how horrible New York is, are you referring to NYC
>>or any of the 5 boroughs, or to the any beautiful and wnderful parts
>>of New York State?

> The parts that Sheldon talks about. He is not a good testament for the
> places, people and things. Everything is about someone cheating or
> taking advantage. Who wants that?
> You must also remember that I was responding to Sheldon speak.
> Janet US

It is true though. Bogus goods being sold. Spoiled food being sold. So many
palms being greased. That's NYC. People who can't see this aren't looking
very hard.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message
news
> On 9/20/2017 2:09 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 10:55:39 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>>> Indeed it is. The people have spoken, or rather, their actions have
>>> spoken. What people want and what they say they want are two different
>>> things. I suggest that you live the way you say you want other people to
>>> live but that would be two different things, wouldn't it?

>> I know that people tend to eat crap. But in rfc, where most people are
>> better cooks than me, I wouldn't expect it so much.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQEKGh0ifqc
>>

> We buy real food. Yes, we do buy canned beans. We may buy sausage. We
> don't buy breaded chicken, we don't buy containers of mashed potatoes,
> frozen dinners, one of other thing like that. Never bought a pre-made
> birthday cake. A lot of people are satisfied with mediocrity and crap. We
> eat better, healthier.

I buy some crap. Mostly when I can get it for really cheap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 15:44:22 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:
>
>>On 9/20/2017 2:09 PM, Bruce wrote:

>>> I know that people tend to eat crap. But in rfc, where most people are
>>> better cooks than me, I wouldn't expect it so much.
>>>
>>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQEKGh0ifqc
>>>

>>We buy real food. Yes, we do buy canned beans. We may buy sausage. We
>>don't buy breaded chicken, we don't buy containers of mashed potatoes,
>>frozen dinners, one of other thing like that. Never bought a pre-made
>>birthday cake. A lot of people are satisfied with mediocrity and crap.
>>We eat better, healthier.

> Definitely. Everybody has that choice. And it's not even more
> expensive.

Actually, it can be. In this country, you can get some crap for super cheap.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 7:21:45 PM UTC-10, Julie Bove wrote:

> Margarine or coconut oil would be better than Crisco.

I'm not so sure that the results would be better for pie crust with butter or coconut oil. My guess is that suet or lard would work great for a shortcrust but the idea kinda grosses me out.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 22:29:24 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>We buy real food. Yes, we do buy canned beans. We may buy sausage. We
>>>don't buy breaded chicken, we don't buy containers of mashed potatoes,
>>>frozen dinners, one of other thing like that. Never bought a pre-made
>>>birthday cake. A lot of people are satisfied with mediocrity and crap.
>>>We eat better, healthier.

>> Definitely. Everybody has that choice. And it's not even more
>> expensive.

>Actually, it can be. In this country, you can get some crap for super cheap.

I believe that, but I bet the real ingredients are cheap too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 21:16:13 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 6:01:45 PM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> All I'm saying is thet you have a choice. You can buy real bread from
>> a bakery or crap bread from a supermarket. If the sheeple buy the
>> supermarket bread, that's up to them, but they have the choice. Didn't
>> you know the US was the land of opportunities?

>Wow - big newsflash. People can buy bread in different locations. I'm stunned!

So you actually learn new things in rfc. I didn't know you had that
ability. Good for you!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 14:01:43 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 20:58:17 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 10:43:26 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm sure you can do it in big cities too. You'll even have more
>>> choice.

>>I can't imagine a person that has such a skewed view of Americans life. American don't buy bread from small bakeries every day. I suppose that some might but they're obviously living in some kind of French movie fantasy. You might want to do some research on life in America before dreaming up your fantasies.

>All I'm saying is thet you have a choice. You can buy real bread from
>a bakery or crap bread from a supermarket. If the sheeple buy the
>supermarket bread,

OR.. you can have a TOTALLY STUPID view of what others do, and
denigrate them for it.