Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Entemann's

On 9/20/2017 6:45 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Wed 20 Sep 2017 01:58:15a, Julie Bove told us...
>

>> "U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message

>>> You live in such an odd place. In my community the bakers
>>> deliver direct to the restaurants first thing in the a.m. The
>>> stuff is still warm. Does everyone rip everyone else off where
>>> you are? i have no desire to visit New York. It sounds horrible.
>>> Janet US

>> It is.
>>

> When you refer to how horrible New York is, are you referring to NYC
> or any of the 5 boroughs, or to the any beautiful and wnderful parts
> of New York State?

The state has some really nice places. NYC is a different world and has
some both good and bad points depending on your POV. Foods you cannot
get anywhere else, theater, and a fast paced life. Expensive too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/19/2017 8:07 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I used to live in Pittsburgh.

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

https://www.centraltexasfoodbank.org...ntation-057jpg

Hide the Ho Ho's!!!!!!!!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2017 9:38 AM, Gary wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> Heh. I tried the stuff. Yucky.

> Hey wait...didn't you just tell us you couldn't even find
> Entenmann's?
> LOL! Julie, you've reverted back to the old classic "julie mode,"
> you don't like any food or suggestions. And you are cooking for
> someone else (and the dog) ?

She used to live in the east where they are in many stores.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2017 10:11, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/20/2017 6:45 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>>> It is.
>>>

>> When you refer to how horrible New York is, are you referring to NYC
>> or any of the 5 boroughs, or to the any beautiful and wnderful parts
>> of New York State?
>>

> The state has some really nice places.Â* NYC is a different world and has
> some both good and bad points depending on your POV.Â* Foods you cannot
> get anywhere else, theater, and a fast paced life. Expensive too.

At the moment, my SO is in Rochester, NY visiting a friend he's known
since he was a kid. The guy and his wife own property on Lake Ontario.
Lots of land and the wife raises horses. He's going to get his friend
to email me some photos... he says it's absolutely beautiful up there
this time of year.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-20, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> She used to live in the east where they are in many stores.

They've been in stores, out West, fer decades. I cannot ever recall a
time when I did NOT see Entemann's snails, bear claws, etc, on the
sprmkt shelf. Got 'em here in CO, too. Even at 10K ft elev.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-20, Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> I love NYC. Lived there for a few years many years ago. During the
> years I lived in Cleveland I made trips to NYC at least 3-4 times
> every year.....

If I lived in Cleveland, I'd love NYC, also.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 10:45:22 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
snip

>When you refer to how horrible New York is, are you referring to NYC
>or any of the 5 boroughs, or to the any beautiful and wnderful parts
>of New York State?

The parts that Sheldon talks about. He is not a good testament for the
places, people and things. Everything is about someone cheating or
taking advantage. Who wants that?
You must also remember that I was responding to Sheldon speak.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Sep 2017 21:18:32 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 9/19/2017 3:39 PM, wrote:
>> On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 23:37:13 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know what happened to this brand? I used to buy the coffee cakes
>>> years ago. I never liked them but everyone else seemed to. People were known
>>> to eat a whole box all by themselves. But now? I rarely see the brand. Once
>>> in a while I see donuts. They seem expensive. About $4 for 6. No way.
>>> They're not even fresh!!

>> Easily available here, and JUST as good as they always were.

>No. they are not. Evidently there are no good bakeries near you.

Perhaps some think Entenmann's donuts aren't fresh because they sell
baked donuts, not fried.... I happen to prefer baked donuts. Before
Entenmann's was sold to new owners a few years ago I loved their
chocolate crumb coated devils food donuts... I didn't buy them often
as once I started I'd eat the entire boxful in one sitting. When I
lived on Lung Guyland I was less than a half mile from their factory
in Bayshore. Seems they no longer feature chocolate crumb coated
devils food donuts
https://www.entenmanns.com/en
Seems Entenmanns has changed ownership several times in the past few
years.... used to be very good but the last time we tried their coffee
cake it was awful... I'll never buy Entenmann's again.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entenmann%27s

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 11:21:18 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 01:10:50 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>
>>On Mon 18 Sep 2017 11:37:13p, Julie Bove told us...
>>
>>> Does anyone know what happened to this brand? I used to buy the
>>> coffee cakes years ago. I never liked them but everyone else
>>> seemed to. People were known to eat a whole box all by themselves.
>>> But now? I rarely see the brand. Once in a while I see donuts.
>>> They seem expensive. About $4 for 6. No way. They're not even
>>> fresh!!
>>>

>>A full range of Entemann products is carried by almost every
>>supermarket in the Phoenix area, including the donuts. I like all
>>their products except for the donuts. Having said that, I have never
>>liked pre-packaged/boxed donuts. The chocolate coating on their donuts
>>taste like wax and they're always dry.

>I think I know why you don't like their donuts. Here are the
>ingredients for Entenmann Rich Frosted Donuts:
>
>"Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Shortening (Soybean, Cottonseed),
>Sugar, Unbleached Enriched Wheat Flour (Flour, Malted Barley Flour,
>Reduced Iron, Niacin, Thiamin Mononitrate (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Folic
>Acid), Water, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Nonfat Milk, Soy Flour,
>Egg Yolks, Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium
>Aluminum Phosphate), Natural & Artificial Flavors, High Fructose Corn
>Syrup, Dextrose, Pregelatinized Wheat Starch, Corn Syrup, Salt, Soy
>Lecithin, Sorbitan Monostearate, Polysorbate 60, Mono- And
>Diglycerides, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Cellulose Gum, Guar
>Gum, Tapioca Dextrin, Xanthan Gum, Karaya Gum, Beta Carotene (Color),
>Caramel Color."
>
>Yo mama!

Today most packaged baked goods use similar ingredients... difficult
to find an honest loaf of packaged bread.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Gary wrote:
> > I might be mistaken but didn't the old frosting only consist of
> > crisco and powdered sugar?

> Before Crisco there was (drumroll, please): Butter!
>
> Not as stable as Crisco, but much, much tastier.

I would agree. Even using just Crisco and sugar, some butter
added could only make it better.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> >> No. they are not. Evidently there are no good bakeries near you.

> > I've been getting their products for at least 40 years, AND my taste
> > buds are JUST as good as THEY used to be, and no matter WHO owns them,
> > they're using the same recipe and ingredients, and the products are
> > JUST FINE.
> >
> > If YOU feel differnetly, YOU changed, NOT them.
> >

> If I changed, t was for the better so I'm good with that. I'd like to
> compare the ingredient lists from 30 or 40 years ago.

You cannot compare taste from 30-40 years memory to what you
taste today. I never expected YOU to go there. The only
reasonable way to compare 2 products is to taste both side by
side. I ate Entenmenn's back in the 80's occasionally. I still
like them today.

Stupid to compare what you ate this morning to what you remember
eating 40 years ago. Get real.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 12:18:15 -0400, wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 11:21:18 +1000, Bruce >
>wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 01:10:50 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:
>>
>>>A full range of Entemann products is carried by almost every
>>>supermarket in the Phoenix area, including the donuts. I like all
>>>their products except for the donuts. Having said that, I have never
>>>liked pre-packaged/boxed donuts. The chocolate coating on their donuts
>>>taste like wax and they're always dry.

>>I think I know why you don't like their donuts. Here are the
>>ingredients for Entenmann Rich Frosted Donuts:
>>
>>"Partially Hydrogenated Vegetable Shortening (Soybean, Cottonseed),
>>Sugar, Unbleached Enriched Wheat Flour (Flour, Malted Barley Flour,
>>Reduced Iron, Niacin, Thiamin Mononitrate (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Folic
>>Acid), Water, Cocoa (Processed With Alkali), Nonfat Milk, Soy Flour,
>>Egg Yolks, Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium
>>Aluminum Phosphate), Natural & Artificial Flavors, High Fructose Corn
>>Syrup, Dextrose, Pregelatinized Wheat Starch, Corn Syrup, Salt, Soy
>>Lecithin, Sorbitan Monostearate, Polysorbate 60, Mono- And
>>Diglycerides, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Cellulose Gum, Guar
>>Gum, Tapioca Dextrin, Xanthan Gum, Karaya Gum, Beta Carotene (Color),
>>Caramel Color."
>>
>>Yo mama!

>Today most packaged baked goods use similar ingredients... difficult
>to find an honest loaf of packaged bread.

Here too, I'm sure, but this product seems extreme.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 09:41:39 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> dsi1 wrote:
>> >As far as chemical factories goes, the human body is producing thousands of complex compounds every second. > >We don't know the effect most of these compounds have on our bodies, and perhaps we never will.

>> The fact that we don't know much yet, is even more reason not to eat
>> crazy science projects.

>If you were actually educated and degreed as a chemist and
>specialized in food prep, you might realize the necessity for
>certain chemicals in food. Don't be so paranoid. Eat what you
>like, just not a whole lot of it.

Most of those chems are for preservation and texture... most baked
goods on market shelves contain the same. It's safer to bake your
own. We don't eat much bread anymore so I rarely bake bread, not
since I discovered this product, all natural, no chems... best
packaged bread I've ever met:
http://heidelbergbread.com/bread/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

.. .

wrote:

>>>Restaurants 'swarm' for it too, they are the first ones there evey AM.

>> You live in such an odd place. In my community the bakers deliver
>> direct to the restaurants first thing in the a.m. The stuff is still
>> warm. Does everyone rip everyone else off where you are?
>> i have no desire to visit New York. It sounds horrible.
>> Janet US

You're missing many of the best bakeries on the planet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 4:03:15 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> Why are they necessary? For a couple of centuries cakes were made
> without them. I made a cake on Sunday. Flour, sugar, milk, eggs,
> butter, vanilla, baking powder, salt. No other chemicals and tastes
> better than anything from a package.
>
> Necessary usually translates to cheaper, longer lasting, more profitable.
>
> Same with ice cream. Gums are cheaper than mild and fruit. The best
> ice cream does not have them.

For a fun science experiment, you can buy a doughnut at your local bakery, wrap it up, then try eating it after a week or two. What these stabilizers and preservatives are able to do to certain foods is simply amazing. People say they don't like preservatives in their foods but just try living in a world without them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 10:20:12 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 4:03:15 AM UTC-10, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
>>
>> Why are they necessary? For a couple of centuries cakes were made
>> without them. I made a cake on Sunday. Flour, sugar, milk, eggs,
>> butter, vanilla, baking powder, salt. No other chemicals and tastes
>> better than anything from a package.
>>
>> Necessary usually translates to cheaper, longer lasting, more profitable.
>>
>> Same with ice cream. Gums are cheaper than mild and fruit. The best
>> ice cream does not have them.

>For a fun science experiment, you can buy a doughnut at your local bakery, wrap it up, then try eating it after a week or two. What these stabilizers and preservatives are able to do to certain foods is simply amazing. People say they don't like preservatives in their foods but just try living in a world without them.

It goes as follows: you buy a real bread and you eat it before it goes
stale. I'm told that in the old days, you could even buy half a loaf.
How advanced is that?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>> No. they are not. Evidently there are no good bakeries near you.

>>"Just as good as they always were" might be true, since 0 = 0.
>>
>>That said, I used to love Entenmann's until we got a superlative
>>bakery.
>>
>>Cindy Hamilton

>Most any neighborhood bakery is/was better than Entenmann's...
>Entenmann's is/was a fast food bakery, everything prebaked/pre
>packaged. Entenmann's used to be pretty good for a less costly baked
>product (cheapskates would bring Entenmann's when they visited
>someone), but over the past few years they've changed owners several
>times and their product became garbage... today any box cake is far
>superior.

I'm glad you said that. I have been given Entenmann's several times
by a former New Yorker as a Christmas present. I tried one or two
bites because she was so enthusiastic about the stuff. And then I
threw it all away. My husband wouldn't eat it and that is saying a
lot. He likes his sweets.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 7:22:41 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> It goes as follows: you buy a real bread and you eat it before it goes
> stale. I'm told that in the old days, you could even buy half a loaf.
> How advanced is that?

I understand the principle. People would walk down to their local bakery after work or during their daily errands to pick up a loaf of bread. How so very quaint. What has that got to do with the way Americans live? Nuttin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 10:39:40 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 7:22:41 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> It goes as follows: you buy a real bread and you eat it before it goes
>> stale. I'm told that in the old days, you could even buy half a loaf.
>> How advanced is that?

>I understand the principle. People would walk down to their local bakery after work or during their daily errands to pick up a loaf of bread. How so very quaint. What has that got to do with the way Americans live? Nuttin.

Isn't that up to you people? You don't have to be sheeple victims of a
perverted food industry. I'm sure you could buy real food if you
wanted.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 7:48:22 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> Isn't that up to you people? You don't have to be sheeple victims of a
> perverted food industry. I'm sure you could buy real food if you
> wanted.

Indeed it is. The people have spoken, or rather, their actions have spoken. What people want and what they say they want are two different things. I suggest that you live the way you say you want other people to live but that would be two different things, wouldn't it?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 10:55:39 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 7:48:22 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> Isn't that up to you people? You don't have to be sheeple victims of a
>> perverted food industry. I'm sure you could buy real food if you
>> wanted.

>Indeed it is. The people have spoken, or rather, their actions have spoken. What people want and what they say they want are two different things. I suggest that you live the way you say you want other people to live but that would be two different things, wouldn't it?

I know that people tend to eat crap. But in rfc, where most people are
better cooks than me, I wouldn't expect it so much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQEKGh0ifqc
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 8:09:35 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:

> I know that people tend to eat crap. But in rfc, where most people are
> better cooks than me, I wouldn't expect it so much.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQEKGh0ifqc

Mostly this is a group that likes to gossip. The main topic of discussion is other people. This joint should be called r.p.g.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-20 10:15 AM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:

>> The state has some really nice places. NYC is a different world
>> and has some both good and bad points depending on your POV.
>> Foods you cannot get anywhere else, theater, and a fast paced
>> life. Expensive too.
>>

> I love NYC. Lived there for a few years many years ago. During the
> years I lived in Cleveland I made trips to NYC at least 3-4 times
> every year for theatre, restaurants, and shopping. I had already
> "done" all the museums long ago.

I have been to a number of places in NY state and it's pretty good. My
son goes down to NYC a couple times a year. He loves it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> tahe docnuts were always dry and stale.

The doc's nuts?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2017 12:34 PM, wrote:

> Most of those chems are for preservation and texture... most baked
> goods on market shelves contain the same. It's safer to bake your
> own. We don't eat much bread anymore so I rarely bake bread, not
> since I discovered this product, all natural, no chems... best
> packaged bread I've ever met:

http://heidelbergbread.com/bread/

Looks like real bread, the way it should be. We have a bakery the next
town over that has good bread and pastries. I'm in there a couple of
times a week.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2017 12:52 PM, Casa de Masa wrote:
> On 9/19/2017 11:20 PM, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> tahe docnuts were always dry and stale.
>>

> The doc's nuts?

forged
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2017 10:14 AM, wrote:
> Most any neighborhood bakery is/was better than Entenmann's...
> Entenmann's is/was a fast food bakery, everything prebaked/pre
> packaged. Entenmann's used to be pretty good for a less costly baked
> product (cheapskates would bring Entenmann's when they visited
> someone), but over the past few years they've changed owners several
> times and their product became garbage...

https://www.influenster.com/reviews/entenmanns-bakery

Entenmann's Bakery

4.76 / 5 based on 640 Reviews

"They're definitely a very sweet product and nothing like homemade, but
they hit the spot when you're craving a delicious baked good." in 28 reviews
"I can't resist a good piece of Entenmenn's Coffee Cake on Saturday
mornings Lots of yummy bakery goods and regulary on sale at my local
Grocery Store!" in 25 reviews
"I love the Entenmann's brand, I've been purchasing this brand for
years, always so fresh and delicious, especially the chocolate chip
cookies!" in 25 reviews
"I really like this brand of pastry it isn't too sweet and I like plain
things so the plain donuts and the assorted box of donuts are good and
the cheese danish " in 23 reviews
"I especially love the individually wrap slices of pound cake, the taste
is delicious and it will completely melt in my mouth each time." in 23
reviews

https://www.influenster.com/reviews/...nns-crumb-cake

Entenmann's Crumb Cake

4.30 / 5 based on 20 Reviews

Eva H.
Eva H.
Gainesville, FL
49 reviews
April 13, 2017, 5:13 p.m.
Definitely my second favorite snack cake/food from them. Love these with
a nice cup of hot or iced coffee! I love the single packs but also love
their whole cake. My mom is the one who introduced these in my life!
Thanks mom!

Summer Y.
Greendale, IN
86 reviews
Sept. 8, 2015, 5:30 p.m.
I have loved these cakes since I was a little girl! They are so moist
and delicious! When we buy them I have to hide them throughout the
kitchen to insure that I will get to eat more than one!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2017 1:39 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 7:22:41 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> It goes as follows: you buy a real bread and you eat it before it goes
>> stale. I'm told that in the old days, you could even buy half a loaf.
>> How advanced is that?

> I understand the principle. People would walk down to their local bakery after work or during their daily errands to pick up a loaf of bread. How so very quaint. What has that got to do with the way Americans live? Nuttin.

Ah, some of us still do that. I can't buy a half loaf though, but you
can in parts of Europe. When I buy raisin bread I usually give half to
a friend.

In the big cities there are still bakeries where you can do that. When
I lived in Philly I could walk to three different bakeries for bread.
Maybe you don't have that in the middle of the Pacific ocean, but we
still do in many parts of our America.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2017 11:48 AM, Bruce wrote:
> You don't have to be sheeple victims of a
> perverted food industry.

Give it up troll, go eat one of those nasty Auzzie meat pies.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2017 12:26 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 8:09:35 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> I know that people tend to eat crap. But in rfc, where most people are
>> better cooks than me, I wouldn't expect it so much.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQEKGh0ifqc

> Mostly this is a group that likes to gossip. The main topic of discussion is other people. This joint should be called r.p.g.

ROTFLMFAO!!!!!

+ 100000000!!!!!!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2017 2:09 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 10:55:39 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
> wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 7:48:22 AM UTC-10, Bruce wrote:
>>>
>>> Isn't that up to you people? You don't have to be sheeple victims of a
>>> perverted food industry. I'm sure you could buy real food if you
>>> wanted.

>> Indeed it is. The people have spoken, or rather, their actions have spoken. What people want and what they say they want are two different things. I suggest that you live the way you say you want other people to live but that would be two different things, wouldn't it?

> I know that people tend to eat crap. But in rfc, where most people are
> better cooks than me, I wouldn't expect it so much.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQEKGh0ifqc

We buy real food. Yes, we do buy canned beans. We may buy sausage. We
don't buy breaded chicken, we don't buy containers of mashed potatoes,
frozen dinners, one of other thing like that. Never bought a pre-made
birthday cake. A lot of people are satisfied with mediocrity and crap.
We eat better, healthier.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 15:44:22 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 9/20/2017 2:09 PM, Bruce wrote:
>> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 10:55:39 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
>> wrote:

>>> Indeed it is. The people have spoken, or rather, their actions have spoken. What people want and what they say they want are two different things. I suggest that you live the way you say you want other people to live but that would be two different things, wouldn't it?

>> I know that people tend to eat crap. But in rfc, where most people are
>> better cooks than me, I wouldn't expect it so much.
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQEKGh0ifqc
>>

>We buy real food. Yes, we do buy canned beans. We may buy sausage. We
>don't buy breaded chicken, we don't buy containers of mashed potatoes,
>frozen dinners, one of other thing like that. Never bought a pre-made
>birthday cake. A lot of people are satisfied with mediocrity and crap.
>We eat better, healthier.

Definitely. Everybody has that choice. And it's not even more
expensive.