Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default breakfast

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 7:40:59 AM UTC-5, Janet wrote:

> In Britain those were used to keep chamberpots in (the metal lining is
> a giveaway: supposed to prevent the smell leaking out). A chamberpot was
> what you ****ed in at night.
>
> http://www.myantiquefurniturecollect...mber-pots-and-
> chamberpot-furniture-1251.html
>
> https://www.loveantiques.com/antique.../pot-cupboards
>
> Janet UK

We've got those here as well. We call them slop jars and only the
fancy, porcelain ones were called chamber pots. If you can get
your hands on a full set they're quite collectable and can be ex-
pensive.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 7:55:03 AM UTC-5, wrote:

> Some pipe tobacco smoke smells delicious.

Many, many, many years ago there was an older gentleman at work who
smoked a pipe. He used a cherry flavored/scented/whatever tobacco
and it smelled sooooooo good. Everybody commented on how good it
smelled.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2017 1:27 AM, Cheri wrote:
> Wow, I think they approach that in New York, but here there are several
> places that will sell them individually, 3 for a dollar. I know this
> because of my BIL who tries to quit every other week, and I've driven
> him to one of them. They act like spy versus spy there, a person meets
> him outside and determines that he's a regular customer, then that
> person goes into the place and buys them and brings them out. LOL
>
> Cheri

Sounds like a clandestine operation avoiding paying cigarette tax. I'm
just guessing but they're likely not stamped. Otherwise there's no
reason to treat it as if Elliot Ness was about to bust a liquor-serving
speak easy.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2017 11:11 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 9/17/2017 10:54 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>
>> no indoor plumbing either place at the time.Â* Both places were old and
>> had been in the family for a while.Â* As far as I knew everyone just
>> got a flashlight and trekked to the outhouse.

> Word to the wise.Â* If it's a two seater, be careful about where
> you put the flashlight.
>
> Don't ask me how I know this.Â* And how much you don't want to
> see down there all lit up.
>
> nncy

You could have made a commercial for Duracell. See hwo long our
batteries last! Would really be an eerie thing for the next person in
at night.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 9/17/2017 1:27 AM, Cheri wrote:
>> Wow, I think they approach that in New York, but here there are several
>> places that will sell them individually, 3 for a dollar. I know this
>> because of my BIL who tries to quit every other week, and I've driven him
>> to one of them. They act like spy versus spy there, a person meets him
>> outside and determines that he's a regular customer, then that person
>> goes into the place and buys them and brings them out. LOL
>>
>> Cheri

> Sounds like a clandestine operation avoiding paying cigarette tax. I'm
> just guessing but they're likely not stamped. Otherwise there's no reason
> to treat it as if Elliot Ness was about to bust a liquor-serving speak
> easy.
>
> Jill

The ones I know about are regular cigarette shops which are not allowed to
break up packs for sale, but they do. The packs are stamped but not
available for individual cigarette sale. My BIL doesn't want a full pack at
a time because he will smoke the whole thing, so he does occasionally buy
individual cigs for cravings. I was watching an expose on New York where it
is big business, but I imagine it goes on in most places with outrageous
cigarette pack prices.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2017 11:05 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

> Cigarette boxes were very much in vogue for years. My wife has one that
> was passed on to her from her grandparents. My grandfather had a crystal
> cigarette box <?>. I have my fatherÂ* in law's old silver cigarette case.
> Â*I quite smoking years ago, had a short relapse and quit again.

Friend of mine had a heart attack. The ambulance crew asked if he
smoked and he said "no, I quit" Then they asked how long ago. He
replied "when my wife called 911 for you guys"
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2017 12:01 PM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 11:22:47 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>> Nancy Young wrote:

>>> Word to the wise. If it's a two seater, be careful about where
>>> you put the flashlight.
>>>
>>> Don't ask me how I know this. And how much you don't want to
>>> see down there all lit up.

>> LOL. And don't forget a spider and a web in every nook and
>> cranny.

> It's the deep gouges from the bear claws that are more important than
> any silly spider! That's a long walk to the outhouse in the dark of
> night. The girls and women always made it together with the
> flashlight nervously flashing left, right, up and down at every crash
> and rustle in the woods. Outhouses weren't built right next to the
> house you know.
> Janet US

I'm so thankful for indoor plumbing!

I still vaguely remember a story my former fiance told me about going to
the outhouse and thinking a snake had bit him in his nether regions. He
told me he ran out screaming for his father. Snake! Snake! It wasn't
a snake. It was a rooster (or maybe a hen) who had gotten into the
outshouse and was pecking around for worms and insected attracted to
feces. The chicken reached up and pecked him.

I suppose snakes in outhouses were a real concern in some parts of the
country. Chickens, maybe not so much. LOL

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2017 11:06 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 2017-09-17 9:40 AM, jmcquown wrote:
>> On 9/17/2017 1:33 AM, Cheri wrote:
>>>
>>> I still love the smell of cigarettes in passing someone who has been
>>> smoking, many people don't, but I do.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Back around 1989 or so I worked with a woman who had quit smoking
>> years before but hang out in the (outdoor) smoking area just so she
>> could smell it.
>>
>> Did you ever read the Stephen King short story, 'The 10 O'clock
>> People'? Â*Â*It was published in a collection of his stories called
>> 'Nightmares and Dreamscapes'.Â* 10:00 is a typical smoke break time in
>> offices.Â* Only people who smoked could see that some of their
>> co-workers had been replaced with evil bat-like creatures in designer
>> suits. LOL

> People stopped for a smoke break?Â* For many years they just smoked at
> their desks.

Oh, sure! I remember when I worked for Prudential in the 1980's. We
moved offices and that required entirely new decor. Every desk set came
with matching stackable in-out boxes, pen and pencil cups and...
matching ashtrays. That was a long time ago.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-17, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

> You could have made a commercial for Duracell. See hwo long our
> batteries last!

Yes! They last fer crap!!

I've always hated "Copper-Tops". In the 90s, I bought some new ones
and put them in a new Maglight in my Dodge van to see what I'm doing
at "o' dark-thirty" in the morning. Guess what! They didn't work!!
It was 32°F and my brand new Duracells jes did not work! Too cold?

So, I changed 'em out fer Energizers, which worked jes fine,
apparently at any temp! Matter of fact, our local Channel 7 news
(ABC) usta do a battery time-test, every Xmas. They were always
tested the same way, by putting all the test batteries in those
cymbal-crashing Xmas monkey toys, and letting them go until they died.
Energizers always won, by several hours.

BTW, my late uncle hadda outhouse on his farm. I used it when I was
about 4 yrs old (early 50s) and we went visit him on his working farm,
in CO. I jes recall trekking out to that one-hole outhouse at about
3am in the morning. If something bit me on the butt, I was too tired
to care.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2017 12:27 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/17/2017 1:27 AM, Cheri wrote:
>> Wow, I think they approach that in New York, but here there are
>> several places that will sell them individually, 3 for a dollar. I
>> know this because of my BIL who tries to quit every other week, and
>> I've driven him to one of them. They act like spy versus spy there, a
>> person meets him outside and determines that he's a regular customer,
>> then that person goes into the place and buys them and brings them
>> out. LOL
>>
>> Cheri

> Sounds like a clandestine operation avoiding paying cigarette tax.* I'm
> just guessing but they're likely not stamped.* Otherwise there's no
> reason to treat it as if Elliot Ness was about to bust a liquor-serving
> speak easy.
>
> Jill

Federal law prohibits selling individual cigarettes.

Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act
Single cigarettes, sometimes called “loosies,” and small quantities of
smokeless tobacco were inexpensive and in the past, they enticed
children and adolescents to try these products. To comply with the law,
retailers may not sell single cigarettes or break open packages of
cigarettes to sell or distribute unpackaged cigarettes.

There is one exception. In “adult-only” facilities where no one under
the age of 18 is permitted, retailers may have vending machines, if
their state allows, that sell single, packaged cigarettes.
Also, retailers may not sell unpackaged smokeless tobacco or small
packages of smokeless tobacco—those that are smaller than packages
distributed by the manufacturer for individual use.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-17 12:27 PM, jmcquown wrote:

> Sounds like a clandestine operation avoiding paying cigarette tax.Â* I'm
> just guessing but they're likely not stamped.Â* Otherwise there's no
> reason to treat it as if Elliot Ness was about to bust a liquor-serving
> speak easy.

They can offer a pretty good deal on tax free cigarettes and still make
money because there is so much tax on them. Think about that case where
the butt police took down a guy and he died of a heart attack while
resisting arrest. It was something like the 33rd time he had been
arrested for selling illegal cigarettes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-17 12:32 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>> Don't ask me how I know this.Â* And how much you don't want to
>> see down there all lit up.
>>
>> nncy

> You could have made a commercial for Duracell.Â* See hwo long our
> batteries last!Â* Would really be an eerie thing for the next person in
> at night.

That's a crappy way to do research.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I tried to smoke 1 of dads pipes a yr or 2 ago and couldn't keep it lit at all, tried tamping the tobacco down more or less.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 12:36:34 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/17/2017 11:05 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
>

> > Cigarette boxes were very much in vogue for years. My wife has one that
> > was passed on to her from her grandparents. My grandfather had a crystal
> > cigarette box <?>. I have my fatherÂ* in law's old silver cigarette case.
> > Â*I quite smoking years ago, had a short relapse and quit again.
> >

> Friend of mine had a heart attack. The ambulance crew asked if he
> smoked and he said "no, I quit" Then they asked how long ago. He
> replied "when my wife called 911 for you guys"

Like my mother: "Here are your nitroglycerine tablets." That was it
for her.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2017 12:32 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 9/17/2017 11:11 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>> On 9/17/2017 10:54 AM, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>>> no indoor plumbing either place at the time.Â* Both places were old and
>>> had been in the family for a while.Â* As far as I knew everyone just
>>> got a flashlight and trekked to the outhouse.

>> Word to the wise.Â* If it's a two seater, be careful about where
>> you put the flashlight.
>>
>> Don't ask me how I know this.Â* And how much you don't want to
>> see down there all lit up.

> You could have made a commercial for Duracell.Â* See hwo long our
> batteries last!Â* Would really be an eerie thing for the next person in
> at night.

There you go, a long lasting (I hope) nightlight for the outhouse.
I do like a little light, I keep one of those flat glowing types
plugged in. With the flashlight down the outhouse, you get that nice
indirect lighting.

An innovation.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 07:01:20 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 22:27:38 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:

>>>Wow, I think they approach that in New York, but here there are several
>>>places that will sell them individually, 3 for a dollar. I know this
>>>because
>>>of my BIL who tries to quit every other week, and I've driven him to one
>>>of
>>>them. They act like spy versus spy there, a person meets him outside and
>>>determines that he's a regular customer, then that person goes into the
>>>place and buys them and brings them out. LOL

>> What if he wasn't a regular? Could he only buy a whole pack then?

>They probably wouldn't sell them singly, when he first started buying them
>there, he had to say Amanda sent him so they knew he wasn't some kind of
>*narc* or something. She was the person that put him onto them.

Yes, I understand. Not many places officially sell single cigarettes,
probably.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 11:05:54 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> It's too bad that smokers are not aware of how bad they smell to others.

>Some smokers are aware of that. Those are the ones that you don't
>smell.

Just by willpower?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I used to smoke kool milds, a woman I knew said she thought menthol cigs were the worst for you.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
news
> On 9/17/2017 11:06 AM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Back around 1989 or so I worked with a woman who had quit smoking years
>>> before but hang out in the (outdoor) smoking area just so she could
>>> smell it.
>>>
>>> Did you ever read the Stephen King short story, 'The 10 O'clock People'?
>>> Â Â It was published in a collection of his stories called 'Nightmares
>>> and Dreamscapes'. 10:00 is a typical smoke break time in offices. Only
>>> people who smoked could see that some of their co-workers had been
>>> replaced with evil bat-like creatures in designer suits. LOL

>> People stopped for a smoke break? For many years they just smoked at
>> their desks.
>>

> Oh, sure! I remember when I worked for Prudential in the 1980's. We
> moved offices and that required entirely new decor. Every desk set came
> with matching stackable in-out boxes, pen and pencil cups and... matching
> ashtrays. That was a long time ago.
>
> Jill

Smoking up a storm in hospital beds, doctors offices etc. Doesn't seem
possible now, but I get a kick out of Mad Men and all that smoking
everywhere, seems like a distant world.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
>I used to smoke kool milds, a woman I knew said she thought menthol cigs
>were the worst for you.

I smoked Salem for roughly 45 years, and did a short quit, when I started
smoking again I couldn't hack (no pun intended) any type of menthol
cigarette so went to Marlboros.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 10:20:23 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> I used to smoke kool milds, a woman I knew said she thought menthol cigs were the worst for you.

Hopefully, smoking will get popular again. People are living too damn long anyway. As an added bonus, it's kind of cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdFHSCqf3fQ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 3:20:23 PM UTC-5, wrote:

> I used to smoke kool milds, a woman I knew said she thought menthol cigs were the worst for you.

When I smoked I always smoked menthol cigarettes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 16:06:30 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 22:33:12 -0700, "Cheri" >
>wrote:
>
>>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 19:40:39 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2

>>> we stopped smoking indoors years before I quit. I quit September
>>> 2009, I just stopped. My husband still hasn't quit. Since he
>>> doesn't smoke in the house nor inside our vehicle, it doesn't bother
>>> me. Except, he stinks. He always smells of it.
>>> Janet US

>>I still love the smell of cigarettes in passing someone who has been
>>smoking, many people don't, but I do.

>Me too. I could follow them around for a bit, but I control myself

Same here.

When a car passes our house with the windows open and someone inside
is smoking, I can smell it. My husband doesn't smell it, and he thinks
I'm making it up.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 5:49:46 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 10:20:23 AM UTC-10, wrote:
> > I used to smoke kool milds, a woman I knew said she thought menthol cigs were the worst for you.

> Hopefully, smoking will get popular again. People are living too damn long anyway. As an added bonus, it's kind of cool.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdFHSCqf3fQ

Ah, yes. Cancer. What a painless way to go. Of course, you might
just end up with a tracheostomy.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 10:46:08 PM UTC-4, Doris Night wrote:
> On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 16:06:30 +1000, Bruce >
> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 22:33:12 -0700, "Cheri" >
> >wrote:
> >
> >>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> . ..

> >>I still love the smell of cigarettes in passing someone who has been
> >>smoking, many people don't, but I do.

> >Me too. I could follow them around for a bit, but I control myself

> Same here.
>
> When a car passes our house with the windows open and someone inside
> is smoking, I can smell it. My husband doesn't smell it, and he thinks
> I'm making it up.

I was in a meeting with someone. I couldn't smell cigarettes on his
clothing, but every time he spoke, a whoosh of cigarette odor came out
of his lungs.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/17/2017 11:36 AM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/17/2017 10:20 AM, Nancy Young wrote:

>> Quite similar to this one, seems it's called a trinket box.
>>
>> http://tinyurl.com/y7h86q87

> Yep, that's a trinket box.Â* Just a coincidence your mom stashed the
> Wedgewood lighter in the Wedgewood box.Â* Keeping like things together
> makes sense to me.

You would think, right? True to form, there was a little bird
made out of shells in there, too. And paper clips. More paper
clips.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri, Salem was my brand, too, and I still have the last pack I didn't smoke, on the
shelf in my closet, in its fancy leather cigarette case.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Ah, yes. Cancer. What a painless way to go. Of course, you might
> just end up with a tracheostomy.

Not me. I had a friend that agreed to that. He lived about 3 more
years, living in a nightmare world. I went to see him only a week
before he went back into the hospital and died a few days later.

That day, he told me that the extra years were not worth it.
Nightmare everything, couldn't eat much more than soup, etc,
etc. And that creepy hole in his throat for breathing. Doctor
and family were telling him that he was getting better. He knew
different....he could feel the change in his body and knew it
wasn't good.

He was a good friend and I could tell that he really meant it
that
his extra years were so not worth the living in that condition.
One of the last things he told me was that if he could go back
3 years, (hindsight), he would have gotten super drunk and put
a shotgun in his mouth. He so regretted all the crap he
experienced
only to live a few more years.

This won't ever happen to me.
I believe in quality of life over quantity.
No doctor will ever butcher me like that.
I'll just live on until things get bad enough
to end it quickly myself.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy2" > wrote in message
> Cheri, Salem was my brand, too, and I still have the last pack I didn't
> smoke, on the
> shelf in my closet, in its fancy leather cigarette case.
>
> N.

I hear you. I had a really nice crystal type table lighter that sat in it's
own ashtray for years, but passed it on to my daughter who still smokes
occasionally. I wish she wouldn't, but that is something that a person has
to come to on their own and nagging doesn't work too well. She is the only
one of my kids and grandkids that does smoke.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...

> This won't ever happen to me.
> I believe in quality of life over quantity.
> No doctor will ever butcher me like that.
> I'll just live on until things get bad enough
> to end it quickly myself.

A kindred spirit.

Cheri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 07:02:41 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Gary" > wrote in message ...
>
>> This won't ever happen to me.
>> I believe in quality of life over quantity.
>> No doctor will ever butcher me like that.
>> I'll just live on until things get bad enough
>> to end it quickly myself.

>A kindred spirit.
>
>Cheri

I've reinforced that with a legal, medical power of attorney for my
daughters so that if I can't speak, they speak for me. They go in
fear of me coming back to haunt them if they don't do what I have
consistently said

I think of our first neighbour in Canada, she was a nice woman, a
widow. When she had a severe stroke her daughter begged 'do
everything possible' - they did and she became a vegetable in a bed
in a nursing home for TEN whole years. I used to visit her, as did
the neighbour from the other side, as the daughter lived across
country. I found it very difficult, you could only talk to this body
on the bed and I tortured myself thinking she was inside there
pleading to get out. If she was conscious she was also a quite heavy
smoker so she would have craved a cigarette.

There is life and there is life, Helens was not life, it was torture.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 03:15:45 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
> wrote:

>On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 10:46:08 PM UTC-4, Doris Night wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 16:06:30 +1000, Bruce >
>> wrote:

>> . ..

>> >Me too. I could follow them around for a bit, but I control myself

>> Same here.
>>
>> When a car passes our house with the windows open and someone inside
>> is smoking, I can smell it. My husband doesn't smell it, and he thinks
>> I'm making it up.

>I was in a meeting with someone. I couldn't smell cigarettes on his
>clothing, but every time he spoke, a whoosh of cigarette odor came out
>of his lungs.
>
>Cindy Hamilton

exactly
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 12:12:44 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> Ah, yes. Cancer. What a painless way to go. Of course, you might
> just end up with a tracheostomy.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

My wife's friend had lung cancer. She was puffing it up while she was being treated. I thought that was rather odd.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/18/2017 12:11 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 12:12:44 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> Ah, yes. Cancer. What a painless way to go. Of course, you might
>> just end up with a tracheostomy.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> My wife's friend had lung cancer. She was puffing it up while she was being treated. I thought that was rather odd.

My MIL did the same. It was just impossible for her to quit and if she
did, her live would have probably been extended 30 minutes. Many people
on oxygen for COPD and other lung diseases also continue to smoke too.
Very strong addiction.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-18 10:58 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 9/18/2017 10:18 AM, wrote:
>
>> I think of our first neighbour in Canada, she was a nice woman, a
>> widow.Â* When she had a severe stroke her daughter begged 'do
>> everything possible' - they did and sheÂ* became a vegetable in a bed
>> in a nursing home for TEN whole years.

> So the daughter sleeps at night thinking she did the right thing
> but didn't stick around for the consequences.Â* That's rich.

?? She apparently had her put in a nursing home.
There was a case in the news here a few years ago about a family who was
fighting to keep the husband/father on life support in the hospital. I
don't know how relevant it is that they were very recent immigrants, but
the guy got some sort of brain infection and was in a vegetative state.
They went to the Supreme Court to fight the doctors' decision to pull
the plug and let him go. They were expecting some sort of miracle. They
won the case, but after about two more years the hospital said they had
to move him to a private care facility.

> They've developed a lot of ways to keep people alive but that doesn't
> always mean they should, which is why a lot of people feel like they
> have to make sure what happened to your friend doesn't happen to them.

I appreciate that people have trouble dealing with the death of a loved
one, but there comes a time when one has to let go and let the person
slip away. Keeping someone alive to live a little longer in extreme pain
or to be a vegetable is just selfishness.