Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default breakfast

Bruce, I also quit smoking (for the second time...first was when I was 23) 12 1/2 years ago, but it was very
easy for me...I had a bad case of the flu, and the very idea of inhaling that caustic smoke
made me more ill than ever. I quit then because I figured it was my best chance ever to
quit without suffering from it. It worked like a dream.

If I found out I had an X-number of months to live, though, I would light up in a minute. ;-))

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 17:42:29 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Bruce, I also quit smoking (for the second time...first was when I was 23) 12 1/2 years ago, but it was very
>easy for me...I had a bad case of the flu, and the very idea of inhaling that caustic smoke
>made me more ill than ever. I quit then because I figured it was my best chance ever to
>quit without suffering from it. It worked like a dream.

Good timing. I would probably have started smoking again after the
flu. Or I wouldn't have stopped during

>If I found out I had an X-number of months to live, though, I would light up in a minute. ;-))

I believe that. I think if I lit up, I'd like it again. I won't put
that theory to the test though. It's so good to be rid of the habit.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>But are you saying you'd rather have died before you were 65?

>>Sometimes that looks better than going too far, too far seems to hit
>>around the 90s as far as I can see. I'm not there yet.

>Well, that's at least 25 good years you risk losing by smoking. I'm
>not preaching. I smoked myself until 12 years ago and it was very hard
>to quit.

Tell me about it! David and I quit about 40 years ago, when the SIN
tax was going up and a carton of cigarettes was going to cost $10 !!
Now a packet of cigarettes costs nearly $20 so it was a good move
financially
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy2 wrote:

> Bruce, I also quit smoking (for the second time...first was when I was 23) 12 1/2 years ago, but it was very
> easy for me...I had a bad case of the flu, and the very idea of inhaling that caustic smoke
> made me more ill than ever. I quit then because I figured it was my best chance ever to
> quit without suffering from it. It worked like a dream.
>
> If I found out I had an X-number of months to live, though, I would light up in a minute. ;-))

Kinda like Bette Davis in "Dark Victory"...

;-)

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 17:42:29 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
>>Bruce, I also quit smoking (for the second time...first was when I was 23)
>>12 1/2 years ago, but it was very
>>easy for me...I had a bad case of the flu, and the very idea of inhaling
>>that caustic smoke
>>made me more ill than ever. I quit then because I figured it was my best
>>chance ever to
>>quit without suffering from it. It worked like a dream.

> Good timing. I would probably have started smoking again after the
> flu. Or I wouldn't have stopped during
>
>>If I found out I had an X-number of months to live, though, I would light
>>up in a minute. ;-))

> I believe that. I think if I lit up, I'd like it again. I won't put
> that theory to the test though. It's so good to be rid of the habit.

Yes, and the expense is out of sight now. I think around 8 dollars a pack
for Marlboro.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 17:30:33 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 7:09:32 PM UTC-5, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "Bruce" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > Well, that's at least 25 good years you risk losing by smoking. I'm
>> > not preaching. I smoked myself until 12 years ago and it was very hard
>> > to quit.

>> Same here, I quit around 8 years ago and it was very hard...but well worth
>> it!
>>
>> Cheri
>>

>I quit 17 years ago and I was a 2+ pack a day smoker. For me,
>it was easy and no cravings, thank you Lord.

I didn't find it easy but the best thing I did was change my habits. I
loved my after dinner cigarette so instead of staying at the table and
missing it, I would get up and take the dog for a walk. David would
then put the dishes in the dishwasher so that too altered his routine
and we both felt it helped.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 17:42:29 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Bruce, I also quit smoking (for the second time...first was when I was 23) 12 1/2 years ago, but it was very
>easy for me...I had a bad case of the flu, and the very idea of inhaling that caustic smoke
>made me more ill than ever. I quit then because I figured it was my best chance ever to
>quit without suffering from it. It worked like a dream.
>
>If I found out I had an X-number of months to live, though, I would light up in a minute. ;-))
>
>N.

Lol I still smoked back in the day, with bronchitis - I wouldn't light
up again though, after I had been quit some 20 years, I moved here.
The move was very traumatic and did not go smoothly. After the movers
left I could have killed for a cigarette. I didn't go and get one
though because I knew what would happen if I bought a pack.

Moving forward to about 30 years quit the painter left his cigarettes
and lighter and I put them on the stool by the door. I noticed my
grandsons girlfriend nudge him and saw they were looking at the pack -
I laughed and realised that finally I was totally cured, it had never
even crossed my mind to smoke one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 17:50:53 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 17:42:29 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Bruce, I also quit smoking (for the second time...first was when I was 23)
>>>12 1/2 years ago, but it was very
>>>easy for me...I had a bad case of the flu, and the very idea of inhaling
>>>that caustic smoke
>>>made me more ill than ever. I quit then because I figured it was my best
>>>chance ever to
>>>quit without suffering from it. It worked like a dream.

>> Good timing. I would probably have started smoking again after the
>> flu. Or I wouldn't have stopped during
>>
>>>If I found out I had an X-number of months to live, though, I would light
>>>up in a minute. ;-))

>> I believe that. I think if I lit up, I'd like it again. I won't put
>> that theory to the test though. It's so good to be rid of the habit.

>Yes, and the expense is out of sight now. I think around 8 dollars a pack
>for Marlboro.

Here it's $21.60 (that's converted to American dollars) for a pack of
Marlboro!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>>>Sometimes that looks better than going too far, too far seems to hit
>>>around the 90s as far as I can see. I'm not there yet.

>>Well, that's at least 25 good years you risk losing by smoking. I'm
>>not preaching. I smoked myself until 12 years ago and it was very hard
>>to quit.

>Tell me about it! David and I quit about 40 years ago, when the SIN
>tax was going up and a carton of cigarettes was going to cost $10 !!
>Now a packet of cigarettes costs nearly $20 so it was a good move
>financially

That's going the way of Australian prices.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "Bruce" > wrote in message
> > On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 17:42:29 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>Bruce, I also quit smoking (for the second time...first was when I was 23)
> >>12 1/2 years ago, but it was very
> >>easy for me...I had a bad case of the flu, and the very idea of inhaling
> >>that caustic smoke
> >>made me more ill than ever. I quit then because I figured it was my best
> >>chance ever to
> >>quit without suffering from it. It worked like a dream.

> > Good timing. I would probably have started smoking again after the
> > flu. Or I wouldn't have stopped during
> >
> >>If I found out I had an X-number of months to live, though, I would light
> >>up in a minute. ;-))

> > I believe that. I think if I lit up, I'd like it again. I won't put
> > that theory to the test though. It's so good to be rid of the habit.

> Yes, and the expense is out of sight now. I think around 8 dollars a pack
> for Marlboro.

Twelve bucks ++ in Chicawgo...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 7:35:50 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 17:30:33 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >I quit 17 years ago and I was a 2+ pack a day smoker. For me,
> >it was easy and no cravings, thank you Lord.

> I committed a few murders in the first couple of months, but after
> that it got easier.

Thankfully I didn't kill anyone and nobody get screamed at nor did
they receive a dog cussing after I gave up cigarettes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 7:50:10 PM UTC-5, Ding - Dong Daddy wrote:

> Nancy2 wrote:
> >
> > If I found out I had an X-number of months to live, though, I would light up in a minute. ;-))
> >

> Kinda like Bette Davis in "Dark Victory"...
>
> ;-)
>
> Best
> Greg

I will admit if I watch an old movie with Bette Davis, Humphrey
Bogart, etc. they're always puffing away. I'll catch myself watch
them light up and take that first draw. I take it right with them
and then exhale and that satisfies my need for a cigarette.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 3:19:50 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> Thankfully I didn't kill anyone and nobody get screamed at nor did
> they receive a dog cussing after I gave up cigarettes.

My wife works in a psych hospital. Her patients have murdered men, women, and children. Probably cats too. I thought it was a dumb idea to put a ban on smokes considering the circumstances. It was one of the few pleasures that the inmates... ahh... patients had. The hospital had a while to prepare and when the day arrived it all went off smoothly. It's amazing. Of course the staff couldn't handle the ban. They'll sneak out of the building to have a fag.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

> On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 7:50:10 PM UTC-5, Ding - Dong Daddy wrote:
> >
> > Nancy2 wrote:
> > >
> > > If I found out I had an X-number of months to live, though, I would light up in a minute. ;-))
> > >

> > Kinda like Bette Davis in "Dark Victory"...
> >
> > ;-)
> >
> > Best
> > Greg
> >

> I will admit if I watch an old movie with Bette Davis, Humphrey
> Bogart, etc. they're always puffing away. I'll catch myself watch
> them light up and take that first draw. I take it right with them
> and then exhale and that satisfies my need for a cigarette.

Yup...exactly. Bette made an art out of smoking...both in the movies and in real life. She was a New England gal, and liked Colonial - type furnishings, including her ashtrays and match holders. Her fave ashtrays were disguised as little pottery hens, and her match holders were silver. She'd ignite her box matches on the sole of her shoe...

Those actors had style...watch Bette smoke in even one of her later films like "Dead Ringer", the monochrome cinematography even in that film makes her a joy to watch as she blows smoke rings around all the characters. Or "The Big Sleep" or so many others...Ida Lupino was another great "movie smoker". Film Noir = Smoker's Paradise...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 8:51:56 PM UTC-5, Ding - Dong Daddy wrote:

She was a New England gal, and liked Colonial - type furnishings, including her ashtrays and match holders. Her fave ashtrays were disguised as little pottery hens, and her match holders were silver. She'd ignite her box matches on the sole of her shoe...

> Best
> Greg

I will admit some of those old ashtrays were a work of art and some
were HUGE.

When I was a child there was a coffee table in our absurdly small
living room. On that space hogging table was a fine porcelain
covered cigarette box and 4 matching stackable ashtrays that
measured about 2x3. They were for looks o-n-l-y. We also had
a smoking stand in the living room and I can remember going
visiting with my parents on Sunday after church all the smokers
we visited also had smoking stands.

Cigarette box & ashtrays:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chase-Japan-...AOSwgmJXzgw 1

Smoking stand:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-META...AOSw9itZpH5 T

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I won't ever pick up a smoke, either (unless like I said, I found out I had a short time to
live) because I know that one cigarette is all it would take for the addiction to take hold
again. I have completely refurbished/remodeled the interior of my home starting a year
after I quit, and I won't subject the interior to the effects and odor of smoking.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 19:24:30 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 8:51:56 PM UTC-5, Ding - Dong Daddy wrote:
>>

>She was a New England gal, and liked Colonial - type furnishings, including her ashtrays and match holders. Her fave ashtrays were disguised as little pottery hens, and her match holders were silver. She'd ignite her box matches on the sole of her shoe...
>>
>> Best
>> Greg
>>

>I will admit some of those old ashtrays were a work of art and some
>were HUGE.
>
>When I was a child there was a coffee table in our absurdly small
>living room. On that space hogging table was a fine porcelain
>covered cigarette box and 4 matching stackable ashtrays that
>measured about 2x3. They were for looks o-n-l-y. We also had
>a smoking stand in the living room and I can remember going
>visiting with my parents on Sunday after church all the smokers
>we visited also had smoking stands.
>
>Cigarette box & ashtrays:
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chase-Japan-...AOSwgmJXzgw 1
>
>Smoking stand:
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-META...AOSw9itZpH5 T

What about this then:

<https://www.woonhome.nl/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/2014-02-08_0660.jpg>

You'd press the white thing in the middle to make all proof disappear.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> On 9/16/2017 10:24 PM, wrote:
>
> > When I was a child there was a coffee table in our absurdly small
> > living room. On that space hogging table was a fine porcelain
> > covered cigarette box and 4 matching stackable ashtrays that
> > measured about 2x3. They were for looks o-n-l-y. We also had
> > a smoking stand in the living room and I can remember going
> > visiting with my parents on Sunday after church all the smokers
> > we visited also had smoking stands.
> >
> > Cigarette box & ashtrays:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chase-Japan-...AOSwgmJXzgw 1

> > Smoking stand:
> > http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-META...AOSw9itZpH5 T

> In my mother's house yesterday I came across a Wedgwood container of
> some sort and inside was a Wedgwood Ronson lighter. Such an elegant
> way to light your smokes.

I like reading old "New Yorker" magazines, there are numerous ads for snazzy "smoking accessory" - type things, and also drinking stuff, such as those elaborate attache cases that doubled as portable "bars", etc...this was meant for "executives". Places like Abercrombie & Fitch specialized in these adult goodies.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 9:52:14 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 19:24:30 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >Smoking stand:
> >http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-META...AOSw9itZpH5 T

> What about this then:
>
> <https://www.woonhome.nl/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/2014-02-08_0660.jpg>
>
> You'd press the white thing in the middle to make all proof disappear.

That looks like the ones I would see in barbershops as they took up
less space than the one I posted. And if I'm not mistaken I think
my mother got the one my dad and older brothers used with stamps.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 10:31:15 PM UTC-5, Nancy Young wrote:

> In my mother's house yesterday I came across a Wedgwood container of
> some sort and inside was a Wedgwood Ronson lighter. Such an elegant
> way to light your smokes.
>
> nancy

That could be worth a little cash to the right collector.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 21:01:30 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 9:52:14 PM UTC-5, Bruce wrote:
>>
>> On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 19:24:30 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Smoking stand:
>> >http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-META...AOSw9itZpH5 T

>> What about this then:
>>
>> <https://www.woonhome.nl/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/2014-02-08_0660.jpg>
>>
>> You'd press the white thing in the middle to make all proof disappear.
>>

>That looks like the ones I would see in barbershops as they took up
>less space than the one I posted. And if I'm not mistaken I think
>my mother got the one my dad and older brothers used with stamps.

I think I mainly remember them from barbershops too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 19:24:30 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 8:51:56 PM UTC-5, Ding - Dong Daddy wrote:
>>

>She was a New England gal, and liked Colonial - type furnishings, including her ashtrays and match holders. Her fave ashtrays were disguised as little pottery hens, and her match holders were silver. She'd ignite her box matches on the sole of her shoe...
>>
>> Best
>> Greg
>>

>I will admit some of those old ashtrays were a work of art and some
>were HUGE.
>
>When I was a child there was a coffee table in our absurdly small
>living room. On that space hogging table was a fine porcelain
>covered cigarette box and 4 matching stackable ashtrays that
>measured about 2x3. They were for looks o-n-l-y. We also had
>a smoking stand in the living room and I can remember going
>visiting with my parents on Sunday after church all the smokers
>we visited also had smoking stands.
>
>Cigarette box & ashtrays:
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chase-Japan-...AOSwgmJXzgw 1
>
>Smoking stand:
>http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-META...AOSw9itZpH5 T

We had a wooden smoke stand with 4 carved spindle legs. It was a box
on legs basically. There was a door with a pull. The inside was
lined with copper. You kept the ash trays, cigarettes, pipes and
tobacco in there. The inside of the door had a hanging copper sheet ?
that was punched sort of like the rough grating side of your box
grater -- that was used to strike the wooden matches. It was a piece
of furniture.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 19:40:39 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>I won't ever pick up a smoke, either (unless like I said, I found out I had a short time to
>live) because I know that one cigarette is all it would take for the addiction to take hold
>again. I have completely refurbished/remodeled the interior of my home starting a year
>after I quit, and I won't subject the interior to the effects and odor of smoking.
>
>N.

we stopped smoking indoors years before I quit. I quit September
2009, I just stopped. My husband still hasn't quit. Since he
doesn't smoke in the house nor inside our vehicle, it doesn't bother
me. Except, he stinks. He always smells of it.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 11:06:56 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> We had a wooden smoke stand with 4 carved spindle legs. It was a box
> on legs basically. There was a door with a pull. The inside was
> lined with copper. You kept the ash trays, cigarettes, pipes and
> tobacco in there. The inside of the door had a hanging copper sheet ?
> that was punched sort of like the rough grating side of your box
> grater -- that was used to strike the wooden matches. It was a piece
> of furniture.
> Janet US

Wow, that sounds interesting! Was it bought in a store or was this
a woodworking shop project?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 11:10:30 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> we stopped smoking indoors years before I quit. I quit September
> 2009, I just stopped. My husband still hasn't quit. Since he
> doesn't smoke in the house nor inside our vehicle, it doesn't bother
> me. Except, he stinks. He always smells of it.
> Janet US

Yes, when you don't smoke you can smell it on a person or in a room
very strongly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 17:42:29 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
>>Bruce, I also quit smoking (for the second time...first was when I was 23)
>>12 1/2 years ago, but it was very
>>easy for me...I had a bad case of the flu, and the very idea of inhaling
>>that caustic smoke
>>made me more ill than ever. I quit then because I figured it was my best
>>chance ever to
>>quit without suffering from it. It worked like a dream.
>>
>>If I found out I had an X-number of months to live, though, I would light
>>up in a minute. ;-))
>>
>>N.

> Lol I still smoked back in the day, with bronchitis - I wouldn't light
> up again though, after I had been quit some 20 years, I moved here.
> The move was very traumatic and did not go smoothly. After the movers
> left I could have killed for a cigarette. I didn't go and get one
> though because I knew what would happen if I bought a pack.
>
> Moving forward to about 30 years quit the painter left his cigarettes
> and lighter and I put them on the stool by the door. I noticed my
> grandsons girlfriend nudge him and saw they were looking at the pack -
> I laughed and realised that finally I was totally cured, it had never
> even crossed my mind to smoke one.

Yes, I still have an unopened pack of Marlboros in my kitchen drawer, though
I did get hooked on the nicotine tablets for awhile and had to kick them
too.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 17:50:53 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 17:42:29 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2

>>> Good timing. I would probably have started smoking again after the
>>> flu. Or I wouldn't have stopped during

>>> I believe that. I think if I lit up, I'd like it again. I won't put
>>> that theory to the test though. It's so good to be rid of the habit.

>>Yes, and the expense is out of sight now. I think around 8 dollars a pack
>>for Marlboro.

> Here it's $21.60 (that's converted to American dollars) for a pack of
> Marlboro!

Wow, I think they approach that in New York, but here there are several
places that will sell them individually, 3 for a dollar. I know this because
of my BIL who tries to quit every other week, and I've driven him to one of
them. They act like spy versus spy there, a person meets him outside and
determines that he's a regular customer, then that person goes into the
place and buys them and brings them out. LOL

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 19:40:39 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> > wrote:
>
>>I won't ever pick up a smoke, either (unless like I said, I found out I
>>had a short time to
>>live) because I know that one cigarette is all it would take for the
>>addiction to take hold
>>again. I have completely refurbished/remodeled the interior of my home
>>starting a year
>>after I quit, and I won't subject the interior to the effects and odor of
>>smoking.
>>
>>N.

> we stopped smoking indoors years before I quit. I quit September
> 2009, I just stopped. My husband still hasn't quit. Since he
> doesn't smoke in the house nor inside our vehicle, it doesn't bother
> me. Except, he stinks. He always smells of it.
> Janet US

I still love the smell of cigarettes in passing someone who has been
smoking, many people don't, but I do.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 21:18:57 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 11:06:56 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
>>
>> We had a wooden smoke stand with 4 carved spindle legs. It was a box
>> on legs basically. There was a door with a pull. The inside was
>> lined with copper. You kept the ash trays, cigarettes, pipes and
>> tobacco in there. The inside of the door had a hanging copper sheet ?
>> that was punched sort of like the rough grating side of your box
>> grater -- that was used to strike the wooden matches. It was a piece
>> of furniture.
>> Janet US
>>

>Wow, that sounds interesting! Was it bought in a store or was this
>a woodworking shop project?

It was a store-bought piece of finished furniture with inlay on the
top, and door. It was dark wood, varnished. Like this:
http://tinyurl.com/yczoy4vl
I searched for 1920s smoking stand
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 22:33:12 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 19:40:39 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I won't ever pick up a smoke, either (unless like I said, I found out I
>>>had a short time to
>>>live) because I know that one cigarette is all it would take for the
>>>addiction to take hold
>>>again. I have completely refurbished/remodeled the interior of my home
>>>starting a year
>>>after I quit, and I won't subject the interior to the effects and odor of
>>>smoking.
>>>
>>>N.

>> we stopped smoking indoors years before I quit. I quit September
>> 2009, I just stopped. My husband still hasn't quit. Since he
>> doesn't smoke in the house nor inside our vehicle, it doesn't bother
>> me. Except, he stinks. He always smells of it.
>> Janet US

>I still love the smell of cigarettes in passing someone who has been
>smoking, many people don't, but I do.
>
>Cheri

I've told you here that I have lost my sense of taste and smell -- I
can't smell roses or lilacs and have a hard time seasoning food
without my taste or smell. But, when he walks through a room and has
just come in from smoking, I can smell when he exhales.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 22:27:38 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 17:50:53 -0700, "Cheri" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Yes, and the expense is out of sight now. I think around 8 dollars a pack
>>>for Marlboro.

>> Here it's $21.60 (that's converted to American dollars) for a pack of
>> Marlboro!

>Wow, I think they approach that in New York, but here there are several
>places that will sell them individually, 3 for a dollar. I know this because
>of my BIL who tries to quit every other week, and I've driven him to one of
>them. They act like spy versus spy there, a person meets him outside and
>determines that he's a regular customer, then that person goes into the
>place and buys them and brings them out. LOL

What if he wasn't a regular? Could he only buy a whole pack then?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"U.S. Janet B." > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 19:40:39 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I won't ever pick up a smoke, either (unless like I said, I found out I
>>>had a short time to
>>>live) because I know that one cigarette is all it would take for the
>>>addiction to take hold
>>>again. I have completely refurbished/remodeled the interior of my home
>>>starting a year
>>>after I quit, and I won't subject the interior to the effects and odor of
>>>smoking.
>>>
>>>N.

>> we stopped smoking indoors years before I quit. I quit September
>> 2009, I just stopped. My husband still hasn't quit. Since he
>> doesn't smoke in the house nor inside our vehicle, it doesn't bother
>> me. Except, he stinks. He always smells of it.
>> Janet US

>I still love the smell of cigarettes in passing someone who has been
>smoking, many people don't, but I do.

Me too. I could follow them around for a bit, but I control myself

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 12:52:03 AM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 21:18:57 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
> >On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 11:06:56 PM UTC-5, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> >>
> >> We had a wooden smoke stand with 4 carved spindle legs. It was a box
> >> on legs basically. There was a door with a pull. The inside was
> >> lined with copper. You kept the ash trays, cigarettes, pipes and
> >> tobacco in there. The inside of the door had a hanging copper sheet ?
> >> that was punched sort of like the rough grating side of your box
> >> grater -- that was used to strike the wooden matches. It was a piece
> >> of furniture.
> >> Janet US
> >>

> >Wow, that sounds interesting! Was it bought in a store or was this
> >a woodworking shop project?

> It was a store-bought piece of finished furniture with inlay on the
> top, and door. It was dark wood, varnished. Like this:
> http://tinyurl.com/yczoy4vl
> I searched for 1920s smoking stand
> Janet US

That's right pretty!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 17:42:29 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:

>Bruce, I also quit smoking (for the second time...first was when I was 23)
>12 1/2 years ago, but it was very
>easy for me...I had a bad case of the flu, and the very idea of inhaling
>that caustic smoke
>made me more ill than ever. I quit then because I figured it was my best
>chance ever to
>quit without suffering from it. It worked like a dream.

Good timing. I would probably have started smoking again after the
flu. Or I wouldn't have stopped during

>If I found out I had an X-number of months to live, though, I would light
>up in a minute. ;-))

I believe that. I think if I lit up, I'd like it again. I won't put
that theory to the test though. It's so good to be rid of the habit.

==

I stopped years ago when I was pregnant. I loathe the stink of it now and
could never restart.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 09:25:56 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 17:42:29 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:
>
>>Bruce, I also quit smoking (for the second time...first was when I was 23)
>>12 1/2 years ago, but it was very
>>easy for me...I had a bad case of the flu, and the very idea of inhaling
>>that caustic smoke
>>made me more ill than ever. I quit then because I figured it was my best
>>chance ever to
>>quit without suffering from it. It worked like a dream.

>Good timing. I would probably have started smoking again after the
>flu. Or I wouldn't have stopped during
>
>>If I found out I had an X-number of months to live, though, I would light
>>up in a minute. ;-))

>I believe that. I think if I lit up, I'd like it again. I won't put
>that theory to the test though. It's so good to be rid of the habit.
>
>==
>
>I stopped years ago when I was pregnant. I loathe the stink of it now and
>could never restart.

Good on you. I hate the smell of old smoke or of old cigarette smoke
on a person, but I love the smell of fresh smoke. It's also nostalgic

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 17:42:29 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:
>
>>Bruce, I also quit smoking (for the second time...first was when I was 23)
>>12 1/2 years ago, but it was very
>>easy for me...I had a bad case of the flu, and the very idea of inhaling
>>that caustic smoke
>>made me more ill than ever. I quit then because I figured it was my best
>>chance ever to
>>quit without suffering from it. It worked like a dream.

>Good timing. I would probably have started smoking again after the
>flu. Or I wouldn't have stopped during
>
>>If I found out I had an X-number of months to live, though, I would light
>>up in a minute. ;-))

>I believe that. I think if I lit up, I'd like it again. I won't put
>that theory to the test though. It's so good to be rid of the habit.
>
>==
>
>I stopped years ago when I was pregnant. I loathe the stink of it now and
>could never restart.

Good on you. I hate the smell of old smoke or of old cigarette smoke
on a person, but I love the smell of fresh smoke. It's also nostalgic

==

I don't even like fresh smoke Oddly enough I have no nostalgia for it
whatever.

Probably too many years ago.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Sep 2017 11:08:11 +1000, Bruce >
wrote:

>On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 21:59:09 -0300, wrote:
>
>>On Sat, 16 Sep 2017 17:42:29 -0700 (PDT), Nancy2
> wrote:
>>
>>>Bruce, I also quit smoking (for the second time...first was when I was 23) 12 1/2 years ago, but it was very
>>>easy for me...I had a bad case of the flu, and the very idea of inhaling that caustic smoke
>>>made me more ill than ever. I quit then because I figured it was my best chance ever to
>>>quit without suffering from it. It worked like a dream.
>>>
>>>If I found out I had an X-number of months to live, though, I would light up in a minute. ;-))
>>>
>>>N.

>>Lol I still smoked back in the day, with bronchitis - I wouldn't light
>>up again though, after I had been quit some 20 years, I moved here.
>>The move was very traumatic and did not go smoothly. After the movers
>>left I could have killed for a cigarette. I didn't go and get one
>>though because I knew what would happen if I bought a pack.
>>
>>Moving forward to about 30 years quit the painter left his cigarettes
>>and lighter and I put them on the stool by the door. I noticed my
>>grandsons girlfriend nudge him and saw they were looking at the pack -
>>I laughed and realised that finally I was totally cured, it had never
>>even crossed my mind to smoke one.

>Just for fun you should have a bong laying around next time they
>visit.

They wouldn't necessarily find it funny, I grew pot for David as it
eased his pain, because by then we didn't smoke I made brownies with
it.