Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default OT Walmart online shopping

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 7:27:34 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> They didn't give them a great welcome home on the mainland either in
>> those
>> days.
>>
>> Cheri

> Good point. I wasn't around on the mainland during this time so I wasn't
> going to comment on that.

It was disgraceful really.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 22:38:58 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"dsi1" > wrote in message
>> On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 7:27:34 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
>>>
>>> They didn't give them a great welcome home on the mainland either in
>>> those
>>> days.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Good point. I wasn't around on the mainland during this time so I wasn't
>> going to comment on that.

>It was disgraceful really.

It wasn't the soldiers' fault that they were fighting an insane war on
the other side of the world. Politicians were to blame for that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 22:38:58 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:

>>> Good point. I wasn't around on the mainland during this time so I wasn't
>>> going to comment on that.

>>It was disgraceful really.

> It wasn't the soldiers' fault that they were fighting an insane war on
> the other side of the world. Politicians were to blame for that.

Exactly, and a whole lot of them were drafted.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/20/2017 10:53 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 5:42:44 PM UTC-10, Casa de Masa wrote:
>>

>> She defended America as a career at sea, no more need be said, troll.

> If she landed on this rock during the late 60's, early 70's, I'm afraid that the locals did not give her a very friendly reception. Things were pretty tense between the locals and the military.

How sad, after all the WW2 history too.

>It's a lot better these days. For one thing, the Vietnam was is over and the military brass has encouraged its forces to live within the community. I still feel a little guilty about how it all went down. Odd, ain't it?

No, you demonstrate perspective and compassion - wait...maybe that part
IS odd!

;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2017 19:26, cshenk wrote:
> jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>> (snipped)

>>> And the individual should decide what is "within reason" with food
>>> choices, not some chicken little warnings of the "the sky is
>>> falling."
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Of course, within reason. I ate a steak and a baked potato with
>> butter last week. Darn, I guess that's going to kill me.
>>
>> I eat a lot of fresh vegetables. I have no idea why some people
>> insist if I don't eat them raw I'll die sooner rather than later.
>>
>> Jill

> LOL, I had a steak last week too. On veggies, I'd say I'm more prone
> to steaming them than anything else. Doesnt mean I don't bake, simmer
> or ther things with them but the steamer is so handy!

The steamer is handy. If I'm not making something like acorn squash or
baked potatoes I definitely steam most vegetables.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2017 12:59, Cheri wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks, Carol!* It's pretty funny he should call *me* a troll.* I've
>>> been posting about food and cooking (including the occasional pic!) on
>>> RFC for two decades.* Check out my signature dishes on the RFC web site
>>> and also in the RFC Cookbook.* Bruce sits in his chair on the other side
>>> of world and contributes... what? LOL

(snipped)
>> Nothing more annoying than a reformed something that now likes to
>> preach to others.
>>
>> And sadly for him....he will die just as soon as the rest of us.
>> I prefer to go out with a bang and enjoy every damn meal I have
>> no matter what ingredients they list.* Hey...once you get old,
>> it's all down hill from there. Enjoy your last years as you want,
>> don't suffer for anything just to last a few more miserable
>> years.
>>
>> Note: And I don't mean ignore everything. Just do it within
>> reason.

> And the individual should decide what is "within reason" with food
> choices, not some chicken little warnings of the "the sky is falling."
>
> Cheri

Of course, within reason. I ate a steak and a baked potato with butter
last week. Darn, I guess that's going to kill me.

I eat a lot of fresh vegetables. I have no idea why some people insist
if I don't eat them *raw* I'll die sooner rather than later.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Tuesday, September 19, 2017 at 7:35:51 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
> > " wrote:
> > >
> > > When you try the Panda Express report back to us if you liked
> > > or disliked it.

> > I will. I had planned to swing by there this morning on the
> > way home from the dentist but....major traffic in that area
> > plus windy and heavy rain from the hurricane on the way home.
> >
> > I'll check it out soon though and I will report back.

> My son likes that place. I think it's okay. If you like veggies, you'd probably like it. What you might not care for is some of the meat dishes. Some of them are overly sweet. The beef broccoli is a pretty safe dish. The teriyaki chicken is probably safe. I'll order the kung pao chicken because it's probably their most spicy dish. It's Americanized Chinese style food taken to it's highest form. That's not a bad thing.

I'll probably like as I'm not near as picky as some here. Damn
old ppl don't like any commercial food so it seems. Horrible
taste, long ingredient lists, gasp gasp.

It's a chain restaurant and as you know, the individual
franchises can be very different.

I will try it soon and I'll probably love it. :-D

Here's what I will buy on first visit. This combo is how I judge
a new
chinese restaurant.

- pint or quart of hot and sour soup (comes with bag of chip
things)
- 2 spring rolls - the small things, not egg rolls
- General Tso's chicken (or kung pao) served over fried rice (I
like heat)
- Sweet and Sour Pork served over fried rice

That's my 'new restaurant' test. If things are good, I'll go
back.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Thanks, Carol! It's pretty funny he should call *me* a troll. I've
> been posting about food and cooking (including the occasional pic!) on
> RFC for two decades. Check out my signature dishes on the RFC web site
> and also in the RFC Cookbook. Bruce sits in his chair on the other side
> of world and contributes... what? LOL

I like the Brucie-poo for some reason. That said, I really can't
remember any one single time where he has told us about a meal
that he had. No recipes or pics either. He likes to send
ingredient lists though and diss ppl that like the food in
question.

Nothing more annoying than a reformed something that now likes to
preach to others.

And sadly for him....he will die just as soon as the rest of us.
I prefer to go out with a bang and enjoy every damn meal I have
no matter what ingredients they list. Hey...once you get old,
it's all down hill from there. Enjoy your last years as you want,
don't suffer for anything just to last a few more miserable
years.

Note: And I don't mean ignore everything. Just do it within
reason.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 11:55:44 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

> > > I will. I had planned to swing by there this morning on the
> > > way home from the dentist but....major traffic in that area
> > > plus windy and heavy rain from the hurricane on the way home.
> > >
> > > I'll check it out soon though and I will report back.

> > My son likes that place. I think it's okay. If you like veggies, you'd probably like it. What you might not care for is some of the meat dishes. Some of them are overly sweet. The beef broccoli is a pretty safe dish. The teriyaki chicken is probably safe. I'll order the kung pao chicken because it's probably their most spicy dish. It's Americanized Chinese style food taken to it's highest form. That's not a bad thing.

> I'll probably like as I'm not near as picky as some here. Damn
> old ppl don't like any commercial food so it seems. Horrible
> taste, long ingredient lists, gasp gasp.
>
> It's a chain restaurant and as you know, the individual
> franchises can be very different.
>
> I will try it soon and I'll probably love it. :-D
>
> Here's what I will buy on first visit. This combo is how I judge
> a new
> chinese restaurant.
>
> - pint or quart of hot and sour soup (comes with bag of chip
> things)
> - 2 spring rolls - the small things, not egg rolls
> - General Tso's chicken (or kung pao) served over fried rice (I
> like heat)
> - Sweet and Sour Pork served over fried rice
>
> That's my 'new restaurant' test. If things are good, I'll go
> back.

Nice test. My test is:

Hot and sour soup
Dry-fried string beans (aka Szechuan green beans)

If the string beans come out in a gloppy sauce, it's a fail.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> Thanks, Carol! It's pretty funny he should call *me* a troll. I've
>> been posting about food and cooking (including the occasional pic!) on
>> RFC for two decades. Check out my signature dishes on the RFC web site
>> and also in the RFC Cookbook. Bruce sits in his chair on the other side
>> of world and contributes... what? LOL

> I like the Brucie-poo for some reason. That said, I really can't
> remember any one single time where he has told us about a meal
> that he had. No recipes or pics either. He likes to send
> ingredient lists though and diss ppl that like the food in
> question.
>
> Nothing more annoying than a reformed something that now likes to
> preach to others.
>
> And sadly for him....he will die just as soon as the rest of us.
> I prefer to go out with a bang and enjoy every damn meal I have
> no matter what ingredients they list. Hey...once you get old,
> it's all down hill from there. Enjoy your last years as you want,
> don't suffer for anything just to last a few more miserable
> years.
>
> Note: And I don't mean ignore everything. Just do it within
> reason.

And the individual should decide what is "within reason" with food choices,
not some chicken little warnings of the "the sky is falling."

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2017 9:56 AM, Gary wrote:
> dsi1 wrote:

>>> I will. I had planned to swing by there this morning on the
>>> way home from the dentist but....major traffic in that area
>>> plus windy and heavy rain from the hurricane on the way home.
>>>
>>> I'll check it out soon though and I will report back.

>> My son likes that place. I think it's okay. If you like veggies, you'd probably like it. What you might not care for is some of the meat dishes. Some of them are overly sweet. The beef broccoli is a pretty safe dish. The teriyaki chicken is probably safe. I'll order the kung pao chicken because it's probably their most spicy dish. It's Americanized Chinese style food taken to it's highest form. That's not a bad thing.

> I'll probably like as I'm not near as picky as some here. Damn
> old ppl don't like any commercial food so it seems. Horrible
> taste, long ingredient lists, gasp gasp.
>
> It's a chain restaurant and as you know, the individual
> franchises can be very different.
>
> I will try it soon and I'll probably love it. :-D
>
> Here's what I will buy on first visit. This combo is how I judge
> a new
> chinese restaurant.
>
> - pint or quart of hot and sour soup (comes with bag of chip
> things)
> - 2 spring rolls - the small things, not egg rolls
> - General Tso's chicken (or kung pao) served over fried rice (I
> like heat)

They like to use zucchini in their Kung Pao - so be advised.

https://www.pandaexpress.com/menu/en...ng-pao-chicken

Not my favorite Chinese veggie for stir fry, but it beats eggplant...

&-(

No General Tso's, but their black pepper chicken is pretty darned tasty:

https://www.pandaexpress.com/menu/en...pepper-chicken

Or you could go for:

https://www.pandaexpress.com/menu/en...orange-chicken

Which is deep friend and sauced like General Tso's.

> - Sweet and Sour Pork served over fried rice
>
> That's my 'new restaurant' test. If things are good, I'll go
> back.

Highly recommended too:

https://www.pandaexpress.com/menu/en...ai-angus-steak

Angus steak wok-seared with fresh string beans or asparagus*, onions and
mushrooms in a savory sauce. *Based on regional and seasonal availability.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2017 10:56 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 11:55:44 AM UTC-4, Gary wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:

>>> My son likes that place. I think it's okay. If you like veggies, you'd probably like it. What you might not care for is some of the meat dishes. Some of them are overly sweet. The beef broccoli is a pretty safe dish. The teriyaki chicken is probably safe. I'll order the kung pao chicken because it's probably their most spicy dish. It's Americanized Chinese style food taken to it's highest form. That's not a bad thing.

>> I'll probably like as I'm not near as picky as some here. Damn
>> old ppl don't like any commercial food so it seems. Horrible
>> taste, long ingredient lists, gasp gasp.
>>
>> It's a chain restaurant and as you know, the individual
>> franchises can be very different.
>>
>> I will try it soon and I'll probably love it. :-D
>>
>> Here's what I will buy on first visit. This combo is how I judge
>> a new
>> chinese restaurant.
>>
>> - pint or quart of hot and sour soup (comes with bag of chip
>> things)
>> - 2 spring rolls - the small things, not egg rolls
>> - General Tso's chicken (or kung pao) served over fried rice (I
>> like heat)
>> - Sweet and Sour Pork served over fried rice
>>
>> That's my 'new restaurant' test. If things are good, I'll go
>> back.

> Nice test. My test is:
>
> Hot and sour soup
> Dry-fried string beans (aka Szechuan green beans)
>
> If the string beans come out in a gloppy sauce, it's a fail.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Theirs are pretty OK, if freshly made:

Chicken breast, string beans and onions wok-tossed in a mild ginger soy
sauce.

https://www.pandaexpress.com/menu/en...chicken-breast
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 7:39:36 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> "dsi1" <dsi1yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 7:27:34 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:
> >>
> >> They didn't give them a great welcome home on the mainland either in
> >> those
> >> days.
> >>
> >> Cheri

> > Good point. I wasn't around on the mainland during this time so I wasn't
> > going to comment on that.

> It was disgraceful really.
>
> Cheri

You're right about that.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 5:55:44 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:

> I'll probably like as I'm not near as picky as some here. Damn
> old ppl don't like any commercial food so it seems. Horrible
> taste, long ingredient lists, gasp gasp.
>
> It's a chain restaurant and as you know, the individual
> franchises can be very different.
>
> I will try it soon and I'll probably love it. :-D
>
> Here's what I will buy on first visit. This combo is how I judge
> a new
> chinese restaurant.
>
> - pint or quart of hot and sour soup (comes with bag of chip
> things)
> - 2 spring rolls - the small things, not egg rolls
> - General Tso's chicken (or kung pao) served over fried rice (I
> like heat)
> - Sweet and Sour Pork served over fried rice
>
> That's my 'new restaurant' test. If things are good, I'll go
> back.

I used to always get that soup from Pandas in the past. Unfortunately, the Pandas restaurants here no longer sells hot & sour soup. Beats the heck out of me why they stopped. I like the kung pao chicken at Pandas. It has some heat, although I don't know if it's the same heat where you're at. I don't think the restaurants here sell sweet and sour pork.

The thing about Pandas is that they cook up the entrees in small batches as needed so it doesn't sit on the steam table for very long. That's the reason for the success of Pandas. Well that's my guess anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 1:02:17 PM UTC-4, Casa de Masa wrote:
> On 9/21/2017 10:56 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> > Nice test. My test is:
> >
> > Hot and sour soup
> > Dry-fried string beans (aka Szechuan green beans)
> >
> > If the string beans come out in a gloppy sauce, it's a fail.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> Theirs are pretty OK, if freshly made:
>
> Chicken breast, string beans and onions wok-tossed in a mild ginger soy
> sauce.
>
> https://www.pandaexpress.com/menu/en...chicken-breast

Nope, that's not it. This is what it should look like:

<http://www.shandongportland.com/menu/vegetables/dry-sauteed-green-beans/>

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 10:46:49 -0400, jmcquown >
wrote:

>On 9/18/2017 21:09, cshenk wrote:
>> Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

>>> I thought you knew better than to enable Jill when she's trolling. You
>>> being all Internet savvy and all.

>> Brucie, I don't give a rats ass on who YOU want to talk to but I will
>> talk to Jill as often as I like, regardless of your rude behaviour.
>>
>> I am getting convinced you are trolling.
>>

>Thanks, Carol! It's pretty funny he should call *me* a troll. I've
>been posting about food and cooking (including the occasional pic!) on
>RFC for two decades. Check out my signature dishes on the RFC web site
>and also in the RFC Cookbook. Bruce sits in his chair on the other side
>of world and contributes... what? LOL

Stick to cooking and it's all good. Where it goes wrong is when you
first killfile me and then start taking bitching about me. That's
cowardly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2017 12:12 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 5:55:44 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:
>>
>> I'll probably like as I'm not near as picky as some here. Damn
>> old ppl don't like any commercial food so it seems. Horrible
>> taste, long ingredient lists, gasp gasp.
>>
>> It's a chain restaurant and as you know, the individual
>> franchises can be very different.
>>
>> I will try it soon and I'll probably love it. :-D
>>
>> Here's what I will buy on first visit. This combo is how I judge
>> a new
>> chinese restaurant.
>>
>> - pint or quart of hot and sour soup (comes with bag of chip
>> things)
>> - 2 spring rolls - the small things, not egg rolls
>> - General Tso's chicken (or kung pao) served over fried rice (I
>> like heat)
>> - Sweet and Sour Pork served over fried rice
>>
>> That's my 'new restaurant' test. If things are good, I'll go
>> back.

> I used to always get that soup from Pandas in the past. Unfortunately, the Pandas restaurants here no longer sells hot & sour soup. Beats the heck out of me why they stopped. I like the kung pao chicken at Pandas. It has some heat, although I don't know if it's the same heat where you're at. I don't think the restaurants here sell sweet and sour pork.
>
> The thing about Pandas is that they cook up the entrees in small batches as needed so it doesn't sit on the steam table for very long. That's the reason for the success of Pandas. Well that's my guess anyway.

Do you like the zucchini in the Kung Pao?

I find that sort of slimy/rubbery.

Why they can;t just go with water chestnuts I do not know, even baby
corn from a can would be better than zuccs!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2017 1:09 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 1:02:17 PM UTC-4, Casa de Masa wrote:
>> On 9/21/2017 10:56 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

>>> Nice test. My test is:
>>>
>>> Hot and sour soup
>>> Dry-fried string beans (aka Szechuan green beans)
>>>
>>> If the string beans come out in a gloppy sauce, it's a fail.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> Theirs are pretty OK, if freshly made:
>>
>> Chicken breast, string beans and onions wok-tossed in a mild ginger soy
>> sauce.
>>
>> https://www.pandaexpress.com/menu/en...chicken-breast

> Nope, that's not it. This is what it should look like:
>
> <http://www.shandongportland.com/menu/vegetables/dry-sauteed-green-beans/>
>
> Cindy Hamilton

The skin's a bit more blistered, otherwise???

I'd eat either one.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2017 1:49 PM, Bruce wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 10:46:49 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:

>>> Brucie, I don't give a rats ass on who YOU want to talk to but I will
>>> talk to Jill as often as I like, regardless of your rude behaviour.
>>>
>>> I am getting convinced you are trolling.
>>>

>> Thanks, Carol! It's pretty funny he should call *me* a troll. I've
>> been posting about food and cooking (including the occasional pic!) on
>> RFC for two decades. Check out my signature dishes on the RFC web site
>> and also in the RFC Cookbook. Bruce sits in his chair on the other side
>> of world and contributes... what? LOL

> Stick to cooking and it's all good.

When have you _ever_ done that, troll?

> Where it goes wrong is when you
> first killfile me and then start taking bitching about me. That's
> cowardly.

Oh wah!

So she's not allowed to dump you and voice an opinion as to why?

Yer as thin skinned as an old bulb of garlic, and twice as rotten inside!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 11:33:24 AM UTC-10, Casa de Masa wrote:

> Do you like the zucchini in the Kung Pao?
>
> I find that sort of slimy/rubbery.
>
> Why they can;t just go with water chestnuts I do not know, even baby
> corn from a can would be better than zuccs!

It's sort of like filler material in this case. I'm not wild about zucchini but I'll eat it in this dish. That's saying something.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 15:13:33 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 >
wrote:

>On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 11:33:24 AM UTC-10, Casa de Masa wrote:
>>

>> Do you like the zucchini in the Kung Pao?
>>
>> I find that sort of slimy/rubbery.
>>
>> Why they can;t just go with water chestnuts I do not know, even baby
>> corn from a can would be better than zuccs!

>It's sort of like filler material in this case. I'm not wild about zucchini but I'll eat it in this dish. That's saying something.

Not really, because you'll eat anything, regardless of ingredients, by
your own admission. Would be funny if you wolfed down science
projects, but balked at anything with zucchini in it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2017 4:16 PM, Bruce wrote:
> you'll eat anything, regardless of ingredients

Can you just **** off out of here?

You add _nothing_ at all!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 9/18/2017 21:09, cshenk wrote:
> > Bruce wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > I thought you knew better than to enable Jill when she's
> > > trolling. You being all Internet savvy and all.

> > Brucie, I don't give a rats ass on who YOU want to talk to but I
> > will talk to Jill as often as I like, regardless of your rude
> > behaviour.
> >
> > I am getting convinced you are trolling.
> >

> Thanks, Carol! It's pretty funny he should call me a troll. I've
> been posting about food and cooking (including the occasional pic!)
> on RFC for two decades. Check out my signature dishes on the RFC web
> site and also in the RFC Cookbook. Bruce sits in his chair on the
> other side of world and contributes... what? LOL
>
> Jill

Yup! I *think* I've been her off and on for maybe 15 years but may be
a bit less. Emails changed and i don't remember the older ones. The
RFC cookbook was before my time but heard of it. I have a few
signature recipes on the RFC page though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> jmcquown wrote:
> >
> > Thanks, Carol! It's pretty funny he should call me a troll. I've
> > been posting about food and cooking (including the occasional pic!)
> > on RFC for two decades. Check out my signature dishes on the RFC
> > web site and also in the RFC Cookbook. Bruce sits in his chair on
> > the other side of world and contributes... what? LOL

> I like the Brucie-poo for some reason. That said, I really can't
> remember any one single time where he has told us about a meal
> that he had. No recipes or pics either. He likes to send
> ingredient lists though and diss ppl that like the food in
> question.
>
> Nothing more annoying than a reformed something that now likes to
> preach to others.
>
> And sadly for him....he will die just as soon as the rest of us.
> I prefer to go out with a bang and enjoy every damn meal I have
> no matter what ingredients they list. Hey...once you get old,
> it's all down hill from there. Enjoy your last years as you want,
> don't suffer for anything just to last a few more miserable
> years.
>
> Note: And I don't mean ignore everything. Just do it within
> reason.

Agreed, enjoy and be reasonable.

Also agree, I do not recall him ever posting a recipe. Certainly he
can't freeform one on request like I do often enough.

We have many levels of cooks here. Thats ok. It's a bit dull though
when someone asks for a recipe to get a URL to something written by
someone else that they've not tried. (That said, I can see I have a
real answer from DS1 ahead in my que!)
Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 9/21/2017 12:59, Cheri wrote:

> (snipped)
> > > Nothing more annoying than a reformed something that now likes to
> > > preach to others.
> > >
> > > And sadly for him....he will die just as soon as the rest of us.
> > > I prefer to go out with a bang and enjoy every damn meal I have
> > > no matter what ingredients they list.* Hey...once you get old,
> > > it's all down hill from there. Enjoy your last years as you want,
> > > don't suffer for anything just to last a few more miserable
> > > years.
> > >
> > > Note: And I don't mean ignore everything. Just do it within
> > > reason.

> > And the individual should decide what is "within reason" with food
> > choices, not some chicken little warnings of the "the sky is
> > falling."
> >
> > Cheri

> Of course, within reason. I ate a steak and a baked potato with
> butter last week. Darn, I guess that's going to kill me.
>
> I eat a lot of fresh vegetables. I have no idea why some people
> insist if I don't eat them raw I'll die sooner rather than later.
>
> Jill

LOL, I had a steak last week too. On veggies, I'd say I'm more prone
to steaming them than anything else. Doesnt mean I don't bake, simmer
or ther things with them but the steamer is so handy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Sep 2017 18:24:16 -0500, "cshenk" > wrote:

>Gary wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> I like the Brucie-poo for some reason. That said, I really can't
>> remember any one single time where he has told us about a meal
>> that he had. No recipes or pics either. He likes to send
>> ingredient lists though and diss ppl that like the food in
>> question.
>>
>> Nothing more annoying than a reformed something that now likes to
>> preach to others.
>>
>> And sadly for him....he will die just as soon as the rest of us.
>> I prefer to go out with a bang and enjoy every damn meal I have
>> no matter what ingredients they list. Hey...once you get old,
>> it's all down hill from there. Enjoy your last years as you want,
>> don't suffer for anything just to last a few more miserable
>> years.
>>
>> Note: And I don't mean ignore everything. Just do it within
>> reason.

>Agreed, enjoy and be reasonable.
>
>Also agree, I do not recall him ever posting a recipe. Certainly he
>can't freeform one on request like I do often enough.

I don't know if you're still going on about me, but just in case I'm
becoming for you what Julie is for Dave Smith: I don't use recipes. I
let the ingredients dictate how I'll cook them. Generally, that means
stir-frying.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 2:55:06 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > I'll go out on a limb and say that as one gets older, their taste
> > > for meat diminishes. Probably because it's tough on your
> > > digestive system.
> > >
> > > For breakfast, I'm going to try to have rice, miso soup, and fried
> > > ahi bones. I think I can handle that.

> > I think that isn't that much of a limb. Seafood tends to be easier
> > on the digestion so tends (if available) to scamper up the diet
> > levels.
> >
> > What's your recipe for Ahi bones? My husband is off fishing and I
> > may ask he have a few commercially seled and frozen for us if he
> > doesnt catch much. Hurricane Nora been chasing him. 8 day trip
> > off Cabo... Carol
> >
> > --

> The bones were seasoned with salt and pepper and dredged in flour and
> fried. It was not very good because the bones were a little old and
> it wasn't a very good cut. I did make some salmon bones with seasoned
> flour with cornmeal mixed in that was pretty good. With smaller fish,
> you're supposed to eat the crispy fried bones. In this case, you're
> supposed to eat the meat off the bone.
>
> https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/...dkRbUFresrvmZw
> ZmGcamsPj

That works! I have a Hari Kojima recipe for fried Aku bones that I've
had and enjoyed very much. I don't have any pictures as it's hard to
get the right things for it here so haven't made it in years. I used
smaller Aku ribs and a sort of egg wash wih flour like he described and
with lots of black pepper and salted them at the table.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 5:42:44 PM UTC-10, Casa de Masa
> wrote:
> >

> > She defended America as a career at sea, no more need be said,
> > troll.

> If she landed on this rock during the late 60's, early 70's, I'm
> afraid that the locals did not give her a very friendly reception.
> Things were pretty tense between the locals and the military. It's a
> lot better these days. For one thing, the Vietnam was is over and the
> military brass has encouraged its forces to live within the
> community. I still feel a little guilty about how it all went down.
> Odd, ain't it?

I lived in Hawaii 1985-1989. No problem. Kuilea street.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 1:43:06 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On Wednesday, September 20, 2017 at 5:42:44 PM UTC-10, Casa de Masa
> > wrote:
> > >

> > > She defended America as a career at sea, no more need be said,
> > > troll.

> > If she landed on this rock during the late 60's, early 70's, I'm
> > afraid that the locals did not give her a very friendly reception.
> > Things were pretty tense between the locals and the military. It's a
> > lot better these days. For one thing, the Vietnam was is over and the
> > military brass has encouraged its forces to live within the
> > community. I still feel a little guilty about how it all went down.
> > Odd, ain't it?

> I lived in Hawaii 1985-1989. No problem. Kuilea street.
>
> --

I enjoyed living in that area back in the 80's. That old building on the corner of King and University was demolished recently and in it's place is new student housing. That was a ratty old building but we did spend some time in the pool hall.

https://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/...razed-for.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 1:41:07 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:

> That works! I have a Hari Kojima recipe for fried Aku bones that I've
> had and enjoyed very much. I don't have any pictures as it's hard to
> get the right things for it here so haven't made it in years. I used
> smaller Aku ribs and a sort of egg wash wih flour like he described and
> with lots of black pepper and salted them at the table.
>
> --

He was a good guy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/21/2017 5:39 PM, Bruce wrote:
> I don't know if you're still going on about me, but just in case I'm
> becoming for you what Julie is for Dave Smith: I don't use recipes. I

You troll - period.

BIG time attention whore too...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On 9/21/2017 19:26, cshenk wrote:
> > jmcquown wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > (snipped)

> > > Of course, within reason. I ate a steak and a baked potato with
> > > butter last week. Darn, I guess that's going to kill me.
> > >
> > > I eat a lot of fresh vegetables. I have no idea why some people
> > > insist if I don't eat them raw I'll die sooner rather than later.
> > >
> > > Jill

> > LOL, I had a steak last week too. On veggies, I'd say I'm more
> > prone to steaming them than anything else. Doesnt mean I don't
> > bake, simmer or ther things with them but the steamer is so handy!
> >

> The steamer is handy. If I'm not making something like acorn squash
> or baked potatoes I definitely steam most vegetables.
>
> Jill

I got out of practice with thinking of the oven when in Japan.
Electricity to run it for an hour was about 4$. It got so I had to
dust it out before use (I kid you not!).

Meantime, circumstances changed and I am looking at the smashed potato
idea. Ive not actually tried them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hari Kojima

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 1:41:07 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> >
> > That works! I have a Hari Kojima recipe for fried Aku bones that
> > I've had and enjoyed very much. I don't have any pictures as it's
> > hard to get the right things for it here so haven't made it in
> > years. I used smaller Aku ribs and a sort of egg wash wih flour
> > like he described and with lots of black pepper and salted them at
> > the table.
> >
> > --

> He was a good guy!

I wish I had met him when I was there and also that I had gotten more
of his cookbooks. I have only 2 of his books.

Memories fill my mind of learning to use the different things there. I
was on the beginning of culinary exploration then and his simple
approach appealed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 5:35:17 PM UTC-4, Casa de Masa wrote:
> On 9/21/2017 1:09 PM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> Theirs are pretty OK, if freshly made:
> >>
> >> Chicken breast, string beans and onions wok-tossed in a mild ginger soy
> >> sauce.
> >>
> >> https://www.pandaexpress.com/menu/en...chicken-breast

> > Nope, that's not it. This is what it should look like:
> >
> > <http://www.shandongportland.com/menu/vegetables/dry-sauteed-green-beans/>
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton
> >

> The skin's a bit more blistered, otherwise???

Where's the little chunks of garlic and ginger? Chicken is out
of place. Ground pork is acceptable. The green beans look like
they were added as an afterthought. The entire dish is about
the green beans.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/22/2017 4:33 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 5:35:17 PM UTC-4, Casa de Masa wrote:

>>> Nope, that's not it. This is what it should look like:
>>>
>>> <http://www.shandongportland.com/menu/vegetables/dry-sauteed-green-beans/>
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton
>>>

>> The skin's a bit more blistered, otherwise???

> Where's the little chunks of garlic and ginger?

Dunno.

> Chicken is out
> of place.

Not really.

> Ground pork is acceptable.

It would be with me, yes.

> The green beans look like
> they were added as an afterthought. The entire dish is about
> the green beans.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Sheesh, it's a hybrid stir fry - not bad for fast food.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 5:01:34 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> > On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 1:41:07 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > >
> > > That works! I have a Hari Kojima recipe for fried Aku bones that
> > > I've had and enjoyed very much. I don't have any pictures as it's
> > > hard to get the right things for it here so haven't made it in
> > > years. I used smaller Aku ribs and a sort of egg wash wih flour
> > > like he described and with lots of black pepper and salted them at
> > > the table.
> > >
> > > --

> > He was a good guy!

> I wish I had met him when I was there and also that I had gotten more
> of his cookbooks. I have only 2 of his books.
>
> Memories fill my mind of learning to use the different things there. I
> was on the beginning of culinary exploration then and his simple
> approach appealed.
>

> --

Harry Kojima was the host for a fishing show back in the day. Fishing culture was important in Hawaii in the old days. Those days are fading fast. Later on, he'd host a cooking show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poUSGxQVJ7w
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> On Thursday, September 21, 2017 at 5:01:34 PM UTC-10, cshenk wrote:
> > dsi1 wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> > > He was a good guy!

> > I wish I had met him when I was there and also that I had gotten
> > more of his cookbooks. I have only 2 of his books.
> >
> > Memories fill my mind of learning to use the different things
> > there. I was on the beginning of culinary exploration then and his
> > simple approach appealed.
> >

> > --

> Harry Kojima was the host for a fishing show back in the day. Fishing
> culture was important in Hawaii in the old days. Those days are
> fading fast. Later on, he'd host a cooking show.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poUSGxQVJ7w

Yup! Don and I watched both when we where there.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 10:23:53 AM UTC-4, Casa de Masa wrote:
> On 9/22/2017 4:33 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> >> The skin's a bit more blistered, otherwise???

> > Where's the little chunks of garlic and ginger?

> Dunno.
>
> > Chicken is out
> > of place.

> Not really.
>
> > Ground pork is acceptable.

> It would be with me, yes.
>
> > The green beans look like
> > they were added as an afterthought. The entire dish is about
> > the green beans.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Sheesh, it's a hybrid stir fry - not bad for fast food.

Still doesn't make it Szechuan dry-fried string beans.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 23, 2017 at 6:57:12 AM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:

> That chicken on the Wilde Orchard site looks great. That's my kind of dish -
> thanks!
>
> http://www.wildeorchard.co.uk/kung-pao-chicken/

It does look good. The little rings of fresh hot pepper are particularly
appealing.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/23/2017 4:08 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Friday, September 22, 2017 at 10:23:53 AM UTC-4, Casa de Masa wrote:

>>> Where's the little chunks of garlic and ginger?

>> Dunno.
>>
>>> Chicken is out
>>> of place.

>> Not really.
>>
>>> Ground pork is acceptable.

>> It would be with me, yes.
>>
>>> The green beans look like
>>> they were added as an afterthought. The entire dish is about
>>> the green beans.
>>>
>>> Cindy Hamilton

>> Sheesh, it's a hybrid stir fry - not bad for fast food.

> Still doesn't make it Szechuan dry-fried string beans.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

I never said it did.

But it is a string bean stir fry, and it is pretty good.

I mean really, where else are you gonna find this in fast food land?