Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default dried veggies

I've been munching on dried parsnips, courtesy of Trader Joe's;
tasty, healthy, sugarless, can't beat that!

But they recently discontinued that product, so I'd like
to take a stab at home made. Anybody have any experience
on this type of thing?

--
Rich
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"RichD" wrote in message

I've been munching on dried parsnips, courtesy of Trader Joe's;
tasty, healthy, sugarless, can't beat that!

But they recently discontinued that product, so I'd like
to take a stab at home made. Anybody have any experience
on this type of thing?

Rich

==

I have a dehydrator but I know you can dry stuff in an oven.

Ok I just looked this up for you, but I don't know how good it is:

https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/h...rator-0161531/

Perhaps if you are very fond of dried veg etc, you could splash out on a
dehydrator yourself

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 08:56:19 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"RichD" wrote in message
>
>I've been munching on dried parsnips, courtesy of Trader Joe's;
>tasty, healthy, sugarless, can't beat that!
>
>But they recently discontinued that product, so I'd like
>to take a stab at home made. Anybody have any experience
>on this type of thing?
>
>Rich
>
>==
>
>I have a dehydrator but I know you can dry stuff in an oven.
>
>Ok I just looked this up for you, but I don't know how good it is:
>
>https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/h...rator-0161531/
>
>Perhaps if you are very fond of dried veg etc, you could splash out on a
>dehydrator yourself

I dehydrated home grown "bishop's crown" chillie peppers recently. 9
trays of them, halved. They came out great. I crumble them over
everything, from breakfast to dinner.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"RichD" wrote in message
>
>I've been munching on dried parsnips, courtesy of Trader Joe's;
>tasty, healthy, sugarless, can't beat that!
>
>But they recently discontinued that product, so I'd like
>to take a stab at home made. Anybody have any experience
>on this type of thing?
>
>Rich
>
>==
>
>I have a dehydrator but I know you can dry stuff in an oven.
>
>Ok I just looked this up for you, but I don't know how good it is:
>
>https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/h...rator-0161531/
>
>Perhaps if you are very fond of dried veg etc, you could splash out on a
>dehydrator yourself

I dehydrated home grown "bishop's crown" chillie peppers recently. 9
trays of them, halved. They came out great. I crumble them over
everything, from breakfast to dinner.

==

Did you use a dehydrator or an oven?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 09:12:57 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 08:56:19 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"RichD" wrote in message
>>
>>I've been munching on dried parsnips, courtesy of Trader Joe's;
>>tasty, healthy, sugarless, can't beat that!
>>
>>But they recently discontinued that product, so I'd like
>>to take a stab at home made. Anybody have any experience
>>on this type of thing?
>>
>>Rich
>>
>>==
>>
>>I have a dehydrator but I know you can dry stuff in an oven.
>>
>>Ok I just looked this up for you, but I don't know how good it is:
>>
>>https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/h...rator-0161531/
>>
>>Perhaps if you are very fond of dried veg etc, you could splash out on a
>>dehydrator yourself

>I dehydrated home grown "bishop's crown" chillie peppers recently. 9
>trays of them, halved. They came out great. I crumble them over
>everything, from breakfast to dinner.
>
>==
>
>Did you use a dehydrator or an oven?

A dehydrator.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 08:56:19 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"RichD" wrote in message
>>
>>I've been munching on dried parsnips, courtesy of Trader Joe's;
>>tasty, healthy, sugarless, can't beat that!
>>
>>But they recently discontinued that product, so I'd like
>>to take a stab at home made. Anybody have any experience
>>on this type of thing?
>>
>>Rich
>>
>>==
>>
>>I have a dehydrator but I know you can dry stuff in an oven.
>>
>>Ok I just looked this up for you, but I don't know how good it is:
>>
>>https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/h...rator-0161531/
>>
>>Perhaps if you are very fond of dried veg etc, you could splash out on a
>>dehydrator yourself

>I dehydrated home grown "bishop's crown" chillie peppers recently. 9
>trays of them, halved. They came out great. I crumble them over
>everything, from breakfast to dinner.
>
>==
>
>Did you use a dehydrator or an oven?

A dehydrator.

==

Ok I just wondered if you could advise him using an oven)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 09:33:31 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 09:12:57 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 08:56:19 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>"RichD" wrote in message
>>>
>>>I've been munching on dried parsnips, courtesy of Trader Joe's;
>>>tasty, healthy, sugarless, can't beat that!
>>>
>>>But they recently discontinued that product, so I'd like
>>>to take a stab at home made. Anybody have any experience
>>>on this type of thing?
>>>
>>>Rich
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>I have a dehydrator but I know you can dry stuff in an oven.
>>>
>>>Ok I just looked this up for you, but I don't know how good it is:
>>>
>>>https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/h...rator-0161531/
>>>
>>>Perhaps if you are very fond of dried veg etc, you could splash out on a
>>>dehydrator yourself

>>I dehydrated home grown "bishop's crown" chillie peppers recently. 9
>>trays of them, halved. They came out great. I crumble them over
>>everything, from breakfast to dinner.
>>
>>==
>>
>>Did you use a dehydrator or an oven?

>A dehydrator.
>
>==
>
>Ok I just wondered if you could advise him using an oven)

I can: I'd advise him to buy a dehydrator.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> ... I'd advise him to buy a dehydrator.

For a first time try at dehydrating, I would advise him to do it
with his oven. It's very easy to do. If he likes the results and
decides to do it often then I would go for a dehydrator. I
occasionally dehydrate some vegetables but not often enough to
warrant paying for a separate appliance.

This reminds me of the debate about buying a rice cooker. I
rarely cook rice and stovetop method is so easy and has never
failed me. If I had a large family that ate rice often, I would
probably pay for a cooker.

Same for me here about a meat grinder. Would be nice to have but
I never use enough ground beast to warrant paying a couple of
hundred $$$ for one. Not only that, the rare times I have it, I
can always buy the meat and have the grocery store grind it for
me (they do this on request for free).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 07:40:29 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>For a first time try at dehydrating, I would advise him to do it
>with his oven. It's very easy to do. If he likes the results and
>decides to do it often then I would go for a dehydrator. I
>occasionally dehydrate some vegetables but not often enough to
>warrant paying for a separate appliance.

There are cheap dehydrators available, but I don't know how good they
are and how long you have to let them run.

>This reminds me of the debate about buying a rice cooker. I
>rarely cook rice and stovetop method is so easy and has never
>failed me. If I had a large family that ate rice often, I would
>probably pay for a cooker.
>
>Same for me here about a meat grinder. Would be nice to have but
>I never use enough ground beast to warrant paying a couple of
>hundred $$$ for one. Not only that, the rare times I have it, I
>can always buy the meat and have the grocery store grind it for
>me (they do this on request for free).

We bought an expensive Excalibur dehydrator because I thought I could
also make tempeh with it, which it can do but not very well because it
doesn't have a thermostat. So now I'd like to find good other uses for
it to make the purchase worthwhile. It makes great dehydrated chillies
for starters. I don't know if they'd come out of the oven as good.

I agree that you need to have a lot of use for it to make it
worthwhile.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 09:12:57 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 08:56:19 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>"RichD" wrote in message
>>>
>>>I've been munching on dried parsnips, courtesy of Trader Joe's;
>>>tasty, healthy, sugarless, can't beat that!
>>>
>>>But they recently discontinued that product, so I'd like
>>>to take a stab at home made. Anybody have any experience
>>>on this type of thing?
>>>
>>>Rich
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>I have a dehydrator but I know you can dry stuff in an oven.
>>>
>>>Ok I just looked this up for you, but I don't know how good it is:
>>>
>>>https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/h...rator-0161531/
>>>
>>>Perhaps if you are very fond of dried veg etc, you could splash out on a
>>>dehydrator yourself

>>I dehydrated home grown "bishop's crown" chillie peppers recently. 9
>>trays of them, halved. They came out great. I crumble them over
>>everything, from breakfast to dinner.
>>
>>==
>>
>>Did you use a dehydrator or an oven?

>A dehydrator.
>
>==
>
>Ok I just wondered if you could advise him using an oven)

I can: I'd advise him to buy a dehydrator.

==

I know that now ... <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 07:40:29 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>For a first time try at dehydrating, I would advise him to do it
>with his oven. It's very easy to do. If he likes the results and
>decides to do it often then I would go for a dehydrator. I
>occasionally dehydrate some vegetables but not often enough to
>warrant paying for a separate appliance.

There are cheap dehydrators available, but I don't know how good they
are and how long you have to let them run.

>This reminds me of the debate about buying a rice cooker. I
>rarely cook rice and stovetop method is so easy and has never
>failed me. If I had a large family that ate rice often, I would
>probably pay for a cooker.
>
>Same for me here about a meat grinder. Would be nice to have but
>I never use enough ground beast to warrant paying a couple of
>hundred $$$ for one. Not only that, the rare times I have it, I
>can always buy the meat and have the grocery store grind it for
>me (they do this on request for free).

We bought an expensive Excalibur dehydrator because I thought I could
also make tempeh with it, which it can do but not very well because it
doesn't have a thermostat. So now I'd like to find good other uses for
it to make the purchase worthwhile. It makes great dehydrated chillies
for starters. I don't know if they'd come out of the oven as good.

I agree that you need to have a lot of use for it to make it
worthwhile.

==

Hey, I have an Excalibur too)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 14:39:54 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 07:40:29 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>For a first time try at dehydrating, I would advise him to do it
>>with his oven. It's very easy to do. If he likes the results and
>>decides to do it often then I would go for a dehydrator. I
>>occasionally dehydrate some vegetables but not often enough to
>>warrant paying for a separate appliance.

>There are cheap dehydrators available, but I don't know how good they
>are and how long you have to let them run.
>
>>This reminds me of the debate about buying a rice cooker. I
>>rarely cook rice and stovetop method is so easy and has never
>>failed me. If I had a large family that ate rice often, I would
>>probably pay for a cooker.
>>
>>Same for me here about a meat grinder. Would be nice to have but
>>I never use enough ground beast to warrant paying a couple of
>>hundred $$$ for one. Not only that, the rare times I have it, I
>>can always buy the meat and have the grocery store grind it for
>>me (they do this on request for free).

>We bought an expensive Excalibur dehydrator because I thought I could
>also make tempeh with it, which it can do but not very well because it
>doesn't have a thermostat. So now I'd like to find good other uses for
>it to make the purchase worthwhile. It makes great dehydrated chillies
>for starters. I don't know if they'd come out of the oven as good.
>
>I agree that you need to have a lot of use for it to make it
>worthwhile.
>
>==
>
>Hey, I have an Excalibur too)

Yes, it was after talking to you that I decided to finally try ours. I
also dried a few apples and bananas but i don't know what to think of
that. They get a lot more shelf life that way, but other than that...
The chillies are great, though.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 07:40:29 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>For a first time try at dehydrating, I would advise him to do it
>>with his oven. It's very easy to do. If he likes the results and
>>decides to do it often then I would go for a dehydrator. I
>>occasionally dehydrate some vegetables but not often enough to
>>warrant paying for a separate appliance.

>There are cheap dehydrators available, but I don't know how good they
>are and how long you have to let them run.
>
>>This reminds me of the debate about buying a rice cooker. I
>>rarely cook rice and stovetop method is so easy and has never
>>failed me. If I had a large family that ate rice often, I would
>>probably pay for a cooker.
>>
>>Same for me here about a meat grinder. Would be nice to have but
>>I never use enough ground beast to warrant paying a couple of
>>hundred $$$ for one. Not only that, the rare times I have it, I
>>can always buy the meat and have the grocery store grind it for
>>me (they do this on request for free).

>We bought an expensive Excalibur dehydrator because I thought I could
>also make tempeh with it, which it can do but not very well because it
>doesn't have a thermostat. So now I'd like to find good other uses for
>it to make the purchase worthwhile. It makes great dehydrated chillies
>for starters. I don't know if they'd come out of the oven as good.
>
>I agree that you need to have a lot of use for it to make it
>worthwhile.
>
>==
>
>Hey, I have an Excalibur too)

Yes, it was after talking to you that I decided to finally try ours. I
also dried a few apples and bananas but i don't know what to think of
that. They get a lot more shelf life that way, but other than that...
The chillies are great, though.

==

I hope you manage to dry enough chillies to make it worthwhile ...

I mainly use mine when I have a crop that is more then I can use and freeze.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 16:04:03 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 14:39:54 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 07:40:29 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>>
>>>For a first time try at dehydrating, I would advise him to do it
>>>with his oven. It's very easy to do. If he likes the results and
>>>decides to do it often then I would go for a dehydrator. I
>>>occasionally dehydrate some vegetables but not often enough to
>>>warrant paying for a separate appliance.

>>There are cheap dehydrators available, but I don't know how good they
>>are and how long you have to let them run.
>>
>>>This reminds me of the debate about buying a rice cooker. I
>>>rarely cook rice and stovetop method is so easy and has never
>>>failed me. If I had a large family that ate rice often, I would
>>>probably pay for a cooker.
>>>
>>>Same for me here about a meat grinder. Would be nice to have but
>>>I never use enough ground beast to warrant paying a couple of
>>>hundred $$$ for one. Not only that, the rare times I have it, I
>>>can always buy the meat and have the grocery store grind it for
>>>me (they do this on request for free).

>>We bought an expensive Excalibur dehydrator because I thought I could
>>also make tempeh with it, which it can do but not very well because it
>>doesn't have a thermostat. So now I'd like to find good other uses for
>>it to make the purchase worthwhile. It makes great dehydrated chillies
>>for starters. I don't know if they'd come out of the oven as good.
>>
>>I agree that you need to have a lot of use for it to make it
>>worthwhile.
>>
>>==
>>
>>Hey, I have an Excalibur too)

>Yes, it was after talking to you that I decided to finally try ours. I
>also dried a few apples and bananas but i don't know what to think of
>that. They get a lot more shelf life that way, but other than that...
>The chillies are great, though.
>
>==
>
>I hope you manage to dry enough chillies to make it worthwhile ...
>
>I mainly use mine when I have a crop that is more then I can use and freeze.

I have/had many kilos of chillies that are taking up freezer space.
This is a great way of using them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 14:39:54 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 07:40:29 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>>
>>>For a first time try at dehydrating, I would advise him to do it
>>>with his oven. It's very easy to do. If he likes the results and
>>>decides to do it often then I would go for a dehydrator. I
>>>occasionally dehydrate some vegetables but not often enough to
>>>warrant paying for a separate appliance.

>>There are cheap dehydrators available, but I don't know how good they
>>are and how long you have to let them run.
>>
>>>This reminds me of the debate about buying a rice cooker. I
>>>rarely cook rice and stovetop method is so easy and has never
>>>failed me. If I had a large family that ate rice often, I would
>>>probably pay for a cooker.
>>>
>>>Same for me here about a meat grinder. Would be nice to have but
>>>I never use enough ground beast to warrant paying a couple of
>>>hundred $$$ for one. Not only that, the rare times I have it, I
>>>can always buy the meat and have the grocery store grind it for
>>>me (they do this on request for free).

>>We bought an expensive Excalibur dehydrator because I thought I could
>>also make tempeh with it, which it can do but not very well because it
>>doesn't have a thermostat. So now I'd like to find good other uses for
>>it to make the purchase worthwhile. It makes great dehydrated chillies
>>for starters. I don't know if they'd come out of the oven as good.
>>
>>I agree that you need to have a lot of use for it to make it
>>worthwhile.
>>
>>==
>>
>>Hey, I have an Excalibur too)

>Yes, it was after talking to you that I decided to finally try ours. I
>also dried a few apples and bananas but i don't know what to think of
>that. They get a lot more shelf life that way, but other than that...
>The chillies are great, though.
>
>==
>
>I hope you manage to dry enough chillies to make it worthwhile ...
>
>I mainly use mine when I have a crop that is more then I can use and
>freeze.

I have/had many kilos of chillies that are taking up freezer space.
This is a great way of using them.

==

Yayyyyyyy at last you will appreciate that old Excalibur that has been
gathering dust <g>

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 17:18:52 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 16:04:03 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>I hope you manage to dry enough chillies to make it worthwhile ...
>>
>>I mainly use mine when I have a crop that is more then I can use and
>>freeze.

>I have/had many kilos of chillies that are taking up freezer space.
>This is a great way of using them.
>
>==
>
>Yayyyyyyy at last you will appreciate that old Excalibur that has been
>gathering dust <g>

Yes
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 16:04:03 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>I hope you manage to dry enough chillies to make it worthwhile ...
>>
>>I mainly use mine when I have a crop that is more then I can use and
>>freeze.

>I have/had many kilos of chillies that are taking up freezer space.
>This is a great way of using them.
>
>==
>
>Yayyyyyyy at last you will appreciate that old Excalibur that has been
>gathering dust <g>

Yes

==

I am so pleased I hate to think someone bought something I said I liked
and was useless to them)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 22:00:41 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 17:18:52 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 16:04:03 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I hope you manage to dry enough chillies to make it worthwhile ...
>>>
>>>I mainly use mine when I have a crop that is more then I can use and
>>>freeze.

>>I have/had many kilos of chillies that are taking up freezer space.
>>This is a great way of using them.
>>
>>==
>>
>>Yayyyyyyy at last you will appreciate that old Excalibur that has been
>>gathering dust <g>

>Yes
>
>==
>
>I am so pleased I hate to think someone bought something I said I liked
>and was useless to them)

I bought it for the wrong reason. I only had myself to blame. But it's
too nice a machine to let it gather dust, so I'm glad I have a good
use for it now.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 17:18:52 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 16:04:03 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>I hope you manage to dry enough chillies to make it worthwhile ...
>>>
>>>I mainly use mine when I have a crop that is more then I can use and
>>>freeze.

>>I have/had many kilos of chillies that are taking up freezer space.
>>This is a great way of using them.
>>
>>==
>>
>>Yayyyyyyy at last you will appreciate that old Excalibur that has been
>>gathering dust <g>

>Yes
>
>==
>
>I am so pleased I hate to think someone bought something I said I liked
>and was useless to them)

I bought it for the wrong reason. I only had myself to blame. But it's
too nice a machine to let it gather dust, so I'm glad I have a good
use for it now.
==

What did you think you were buying?

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"RichD" > wrote in message
> I've been munching on dried parsnips, courtesy of Trader Joe's;
> tasty, healthy, sugarless, can't beat that!
>
> But they recently discontinued that product, so I'd like
> to take a stab at home made. Anybody have any experience
> on this type of thing?

I have not specifically dried parsnips as I don't care for them but I have
dried plenty of other things. Basically, if you just cut something up or
slice it and dehydrate as is, the end result will be somewhat puffed full of
air and light. If this is not the result that you want, then you need to
blanch it first.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 09:33:31 +0100, "Ophelia" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 09:12:57 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>"Bruce" wrote in message

>>>I dehydrated home grown "bishop's crown" chillie peppers recently. 9
>>>trays of them, halved. They came out great. I crumble them over
>>>everything, from breakfast to dinner.
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>Did you use a dehydrator or an oven?

>>A dehydrator.
>>
>>==
>>
>>Ok I just wondered if you could advise him using an oven)

> I can: I'd advise him to buy a dehydrator.

Hehehe.

I did make fruit leather in an oven some years ago. Seems to work best if
you have a gas oven as you can get a really low temp. Alton Brown leaves the
door open and uses a fan. I didn't use the fan. I just flipped them over
frequently as they began to firm up.

But really, if you are not on a raw vegan diet and need a really low temp.,
or don't need to do a ton of stuff at once, one of the round ones such as
the Nesco can be had for cheap. You will likely need to purchase at least a
couple of extra racks but those are cheap enough.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 07:31:46 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 22:00:41 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 17:18:52 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>"Bruce" wrote in message

>>>I have/had many kilos of chillies that are taking up freezer space.
>>>This is a great way of using them.
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>Yayyyyyyy at last you will appreciate that old Excalibur that has been
>>>gathering dust <g>

>>Yes
>>
>>==
>>
>>I am so pleased I hate to think someone bought something I said I liked
>>and was useless to them)

>I bought it for the wrong reason. I only had myself to blame. But it's
>too nice a machine to let it gather dust, so I'm glad I have a good
>use for it now.
>==
>
>What did you think you were buying?

I thought it would be able to maintain a particular temperature, 32 C
for instance. It has a temperature dial, but at night, when it gets
colder in the house, it doesn't work harder to keep the temperature at
32. It just lets it go down to 24, for instance. I need a constant
30-34 to make tempeh.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 07:40:29 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>For a first time try at dehydrating, I would advise him to do it
>>with his oven. It's very easy to do. If he likes the results and
>>decides to do it often then I would go for a dehydrator. I
>>occasionally dehydrate some vegetables but not often enough to
>>warrant paying for a separate appliance.

> There are cheap dehydrators available, but I don't know how good they
> are and how long you have to let them run.

I had the Nesco. It was fine except that it was small and if you were doing
a lot of stuff, you needed a lot of extra trays. The Excalibur is the one
everyone really wants because it is so very huge! But... You do have to have
a lot of room in your kitchen or wherever you use it. It is best for someone
with a large garden, who makes a lot of jerky or needs a lot of stuff for
camping. For one snack food, the small one is fine, perhaps plus a couple of
extra trays. Should come with a booklet of suggested time and temps to use.
But it's more a matter of trial and error. Pretty easy to tell when
something is fully dehydrated and it's not like cooking. Can't really
overdehydrate something unless perhaps you are doing a raw recipe like onion
bread where you might want it soft.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ophelia" > wrote in message
> "Bruce" wrote in message
>
> On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 07:40:29 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>
>>For a first time try at dehydrating, I would advise him to do it
>>with his oven. It's very easy to do. If he likes the results and
>>decides to do it often then I would go for a dehydrator. I
>>occasionally dehydrate some vegetables but not often enough to
>>warrant paying for a separate appliance.

> There are cheap dehydrators available, but I don't know how good they
> are and how long you have to let them run.
>
>>This reminds me of the debate about buying a rice cooker. I
>>rarely cook rice and stovetop method is so easy and has never
>>failed me. If I had a large family that ate rice often, I would
>>probably pay for a cooker.
>>
>>Same for me here about a meat grinder. Would be nice to have but
>>I never use enough ground beast to warrant paying a couple of
>>hundred $$$ for one. Not only that, the rare times I have it, I
>>can always buy the meat and have the grocery store grind it for
>>me (they do this on request for free).

> We bought an expensive Excalibur dehydrator because I thought I could
> also make tempeh with it, which it can do but not very well because it
> doesn't have a thermostat. So now I'd like to find good other uses for
> it to make the purchase worthwhile. It makes great dehydrated chillies
> for starters. I don't know if they'd come out of the oven as good.
>
> I agree that you need to have a lot of use for it to make it
> worthwhile.
>
> ==
>
> Hey, I have an Excalibur too)

Wow! I did not know there was no thermostat! My cheap Nesco had a
thermostat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 00:51:51 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Ophelia" > wrote in message
>> "Bruce" wrote in message
>>
>> On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 07:40:29 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>>
>>>For a first time try at dehydrating, I would advise him to do it
>>>with his oven. It's very easy to do. If he likes the results and
>>>decides to do it often then I would go for a dehydrator. I
>>>occasionally dehydrate some vegetables but not often enough to
>>>warrant paying for a separate appliance.

>> There are cheap dehydrators available, but I don't know how good they
>> are and how long you have to let them run.
>>
>>>This reminds me of the debate about buying a rice cooker. I
>>>rarely cook rice and stovetop method is so easy and has never
>>>failed me. If I had a large family that ate rice often, I would
>>>probably pay for a cooker.
>>>
>>>Same for me here about a meat grinder. Would be nice to have but
>>>I never use enough ground beast to warrant paying a couple of
>>>hundred $$$ for one. Not only that, the rare times I have it, I
>>>can always buy the meat and have the grocery store grind it for
>>>me (they do this on request for free).

>> We bought an expensive Excalibur dehydrator because I thought I could
>> also make tempeh with it, which it can do but not very well because it
>> doesn't have a thermostat. So now I'd like to find good other uses for
>> it to make the purchase worthwhile. It makes great dehydrated chillies
>> for starters. I don't know if they'd come out of the oven as good.
>>
>> I agree that you need to have a lot of use for it to make it
>> worthwhile.
>>
>> ==
>>
>> Hey, I have an Excalibur too)

>Wow! I did not know there was no thermostat! My cheap Nesco had a
>thermostat.

It's got a temperature dial, but that doesn't react to changes in the
outside temperature.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 00:50:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 07:40:29 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>>
>>>For a first time try at dehydrating, I would advise him to do it
>>>with his oven. It's very easy to do. If he likes the results and
>>>decides to do it often then I would go for a dehydrator. I
>>>occasionally dehydrate some vegetables but not often enough to
>>>warrant paying for a separate appliance.

>> There are cheap dehydrators available, but I don't know how good they
>> are and how long you have to let them run.

>I had the Nesco. It was fine except that it was small and if you were doing
>a lot of stuff, you needed a lot of extra trays. The Excalibur is the one
>everyone really wants because it is so very huge! But... You do have to have
>a lot of room in your kitchen or wherever you use it. It is best for someone
>with a large garden, who makes a lot of jerky or needs a lot of stuff for
>camping. For one snack food, the small one is fine, perhaps plus a couple of
>extra trays. Should come with a booklet of suggested time and temps to use.
>But it's more a matter of trial and error. Pretty easy to tell when
>something is fully dehydrated and it's not like cooking. Can't really
>overdehydrate something unless perhaps you are doing a raw recipe like onion
>bread where you might want it soft.

Yes, the 9 tray version is a big box. We don't keep it in the kitchen
for that reason.

I want to find more uses for it. I also dried apple and banana. The
result was interesting, but not really better than a fresh apple or
banana, if you ask me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 22:00:41 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 17:18:52 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>"Bruce" wrote in message

>>>I have/had many kilos of chillies that are taking up freezer space.
>>>This is a great way of using them.
>>>
>>>==
>>>
>>>Yayyyyyyy at last you will appreciate that old Excalibur that has been
>>>gathering dust <g>

>>Yes
>>
>>==
>>
>>I am so pleased I hate to think someone bought something I said I liked
>>and was useless to them)

>I bought it for the wrong reason. I only had myself to blame. But it's
>too nice a machine to let it gather dust, so I'm glad I have a good
>use for it now.
>==
>
>What did you think you were buying?

I thought it would be able to maintain a particular temperature, 32 C
for instance. It has a temperature dial, but at night, when it gets
colder in the house, it doesn't work harder to keep the temperature at
32. It just lets it go down to 24, for instance. I need a constant
30-34 to make tempeh.
==

Ahh I see

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Bruce" wrote in message ...

On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 00:50:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Bruce" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 10 Sep 2017 07:40:29 -0400, Gary > wrote:
>>
>>>For a first time try at dehydrating, I would advise him to do it
>>>with his oven. It's very easy to do. If he likes the results and
>>>decides to do it often then I would go for a dehydrator. I
>>>occasionally dehydrate some vegetables but not often enough to
>>>warrant paying for a separate appliance.

>> There are cheap dehydrators available, but I don't know how good they
>> are and how long you have to let them run.

>I had the Nesco. It was fine except that it was small and if you were doing
>a lot of stuff, you needed a lot of extra trays. The Excalibur is the one
>everyone really wants because it is so very huge! But... You do have to
>have
>a lot of room in your kitchen or wherever you use it. It is best for
>someone
>with a large garden, who makes a lot of jerky or needs a lot of stuff for
>camping. For one snack food, the small one is fine, perhaps plus a couple
>of
>extra trays. Should come with a booklet of suggested time and temps to use.
>But it's more a matter of trial and error. Pretty easy to tell when
>something is fully dehydrated and it's not like cooking. Can't really
>overdehydrate something unless perhaps you are doing a raw recipe like
>onion
>bread where you might want it soft.

Yes, the 9 tray version is a big box. We don't keep it in the kitchen
for that reason.

I want to find more uses for it. I also dried apple and banana. The
result was interesting, but not really better than a fresh apple or
banana, if you ask me.

==

The time to use it is when you have a glut of something ... in your case,
apples.

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 11:37:43 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 00:50:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> There are cheap dehydrators available, but I don't know how good they
>>> are and how long you have to let them run.

>>I had the Nesco. It was fine except that it was small and if you were doing
>>a lot of stuff, you needed a lot of extra trays. The Excalibur is the one
>>everyone really wants because it is so very huge! But... You do have to
>>have
>>a lot of room in your kitchen or wherever you use it. It is best for
>>someone
>>with a large garden, who makes a lot of jerky or needs a lot of stuff for
>>camping. For one snack food, the small one is fine, perhaps plus a couple
>>of
>>extra trays. Should come with a booklet of suggested time and temps to use.
>>But it's more a matter of trial and error. Pretty easy to tell when
>>something is fully dehydrated and it's not like cooking. Can't really
>>overdehydrate something unless perhaps you are doing a raw recipe like
>>onion
>>bread where you might want it soft.

>Yes, the 9 tray version is a big box. We don't keep it in the kitchen
>for that reason.
>
>I want to find more uses for it. I also dried apple and banana. The
>result was interesting, but not really better than a fresh apple or
>banana, if you ask me.
>
>==
>
>The time to use it is when you have a glut of something ... in your case,
>apples.

Yes, that's true. Weeks later, the banana and apple slices were still
good and nice. The banana became super sweet, in a good way.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bruce wrote:

> "Ophelia" wrote:
> >The time to use it is when you have a glut of something ... in your case,
> >apples.

> Yes, that's true. Weeks later, the banana and apple slices were still
> good and nice. The banana became super sweet, in a good way.

Bruce can use dehydrator to make feral dog jerky. :-D

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message
.. .

>On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 00:50:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>

>>"Bruce" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> There are cheap dehydrators available, but I don't know how good they
>>> are and how long you have to let them run.

>>I had the Nesco. It was fine except that it was small and if you were
>>doing
>>a lot of stuff, you needed a lot of extra trays. The Excalibur is the one
>>everyone really wants because it is so very huge! But... You do have to
>>have
>>a lot of room in your kitchen or wherever you use it. It is best for
>>someone
>>with a large garden, who makes a lot of jerky or needs a lot of stuff for
>>camping. For one snack food, the small one is fine, perhaps plus a couple
>>of
>>extra trays. Should come with a booklet of suggested time and temps to
>>use.
>>But it's more a matter of trial and error. Pretty easy to tell when
>>something is fully dehydrated and it's not like cooking. Can't really
>>overdehydrate something unless perhaps you are doing a raw recipe like
>>onion
>>bread where you might want it soft.

>Yes, the 9 tray version is a big box. We don't keep it in the kitchen
>for that reason.
>
>I want to find more uses for it. I also dried apple and banana. The
>result was interesting, but not really better than a fresh apple or
>banana, if you ask me.
>
>==
>
>The time to use it is when you have a glut of something ... in your case,
>apples.

Yes, that's true. Weeks later, the banana and apple slices were still
good and nice. The banana became super sweet, in a good way.

===

Not wasted then, eh? I am pleased you enjoy them)

--
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 15:05:59 +0100, "Ophelia" >
wrote:

>"Bruce" wrote in message ...
>
>On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 11:37:43 +0100, "Ophelia" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Bruce" wrote in message
. ..

>>On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 00:50:53 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>>>I had the Nesco. It was fine except that it was small and if you were
>>>doing
>>>a lot of stuff, you needed a lot of extra trays. The Excalibur is the one
>>>everyone really wants because it is so very huge! But... You do have to
>>>have
>>>a lot of room in your kitchen or wherever you use it. It is best for
>>>someone
>>>with a large garden, who makes a lot of jerky or needs a lot of stuff for
>>>camping. For one snack food, the small one is fine, perhaps plus a couple
>>>of
>>>extra trays. Should come with a booklet of suggested time and temps to
>>>use.
>>>But it's more a matter of trial and error. Pretty easy to tell when
>>>something is fully dehydrated and it's not like cooking. Can't really
>>>overdehydrate something unless perhaps you are doing a raw recipe like
>>>onion
>>>bread where you might want it soft.

>>Yes, the 9 tray version is a big box. We don't keep it in the kitchen
>>for that reason.
>>
>>I want to find more uses for it. I also dried apple and banana. The
>>result was interesting, but not really better than a fresh apple or
>>banana, if you ask me.
>>
>>==
>>
>>The time to use it is when you have a glut of something ... in your case,
>>apples.

>Yes, that's true. Weeks later, the banana and apple slices were still
>good and nice. The banana became super sweet, in a good way.
>
>===
>
>Not wasted then, eh? I am pleased you enjoy them)

No, not wasted at all
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 11 Sep 2017 09:43:35 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Bruce wrote:
>>
>> "Ophelia" wrote:
>> >The time to use it is when you have a glut of something ... in your case,
>> >apples.

>> Yes, that's true. Weeks later, the banana and apple slices were still
>> good and nice. The banana became super sweet, in a good way.

>Bruce can use dehydrator to make feral dog jerky. :-D

I don't know any Koreans I could give it to.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On September 10, Ophelia wrote:
>> I've been munching on dried parsnips,
>> tasty, healthy, sugarless, can't beat that!

>> But they recently discontinued that product, so I'd like
>> to take a stab at home made. Anybody have any experience
>> on this type of thing?

> I have a dehydrator but I know you can dry stuff in an oven.

Never used one.
Something like, slice up the vegetable, toss in the dehydrator,
as easy as that?

> Ok I just looked this up for you, but I don't know how good it is:
>
> https://food-hacks.wonderhowto.com/h...rator-0161531/

The traditional method, so to speak -

That reminds me of a solar energy convention I attended,
some years ago. One exhibitor displayed various metal dishes,
which cooked via reflectors and focusing elements. On a sunny day,
they grew hot enough to boil oil!

Those might be ideal for sun-dried vegetables - I merely
have to remember the company's name, or find their brochure -

--
Rich
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"RichD" wrote in message

On September 10, Ophelia wrote:
>> I've been munching on dried parsnips,
>> tasty, healthy, sugarless, can't beat that!

>> But they recently discontinued that product, so I'd like
>> to take a stab at home made. Anybody have any experience
>> on this type of thing?

> I have a dehydrator but I know you can dry stuff in an oven.

Never used one.
Something like, slice up the vegetable, toss in the dehydrator,
as easy as that?

YES it is.

dried veggies RichD General Cooking 41 11-06-2013 11:56 PM
I-Can't-Believe-I-Like-My-Veggies Dip Travis & Jenn[_2_] Recipes (moderated) 0 27-04-2007 02:35 AM
Have any of you dried freezing cooked dried beans? Marc[_4_] General Cooking 11 20-03-2007 12:48 AM
Dehydrated or Freeze-dried fruits/veggies Wendy M. Gable Vegetarian cooking 1 28-01-2005 06:01 PM