Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Envelope tuna

I found a foil pkg of tuna, eat-by dated Mar of 2014.

I recall from my youth working in a cannery, a can is supposed to keep
food good fer at least 5 yrs. What's the deal on those foil
envelopes?

Should I toss it or eat it?

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> I found a foil pkg of tuna, eat-by dated Mar of 2014.
>
> I recall from my youth working in a cannery, a can is supposed to keep
> food good fer at least 5 yrs. What's the deal on those foil
> envelopes?
>
> Should I toss it or eat it?

That foil pouch tunny sucks in any case, so I vote "toss"...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/6/2017 4:14 PM, notbob wrote:
> I found a foil pkg of tuna, eat-by dated Mar of 2014.
>
> I recall from my youth working in a cannery, a can is supposed to keep
> food good fer at least 5 yrs. What's the deal on those foil
> envelopes?
>
> Should I toss it or eat it?
>
> nb

Smell it. I'm pretty sure bad tuna won't smell very good.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> I found a foil pkg of tuna, eat-by dated Mar of 2014.
>
> I recall from my youth working in a cannery, a can is supposed to keep
> food good fer at least 5 yrs. What's the deal on those foil
> envelopes?
>
> Should I toss it or eat it?
>
> nb

For me, I won't get them.

THere is a classic article where a young teen is being nasty to an
older person abut how her generation has to pay for the older person's
not being green but the facts were, the older folks didn't live in a
disposable economy and most things were reused.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-06, cshenk > wrote:
> notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>> I found a foil pkg of tuna, eat-by dated Mar of 2014.
>>
>> I recall from my youth working in a cannery, a can is supposed to keep
>> food good fer at least 5 yrs. What's the deal on those foil
>> envelopes?
>>
>> Should I toss it or eat it?
>>
>> nb

> For me, I won't get them.
>
> THere is a classic article where a young teen is being nasty to an
> older person abut how her generation has to pay for the older person's
> not being green but the facts were, the older folks didn't live in a
> disposable economy and most things were reused.

Agree.

I've recently begun saving glass jars/bottles/etc jes so I don't hafta
store crap in the plastic containers they might come in. I try and
avoid plastic, wherever possible. 8|

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6 Sep 2017 23:11:43 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2017-09-06, cshenk > wrote:
>> notbob wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>>
>>> I found a foil pkg of tuna, eat-by dated Mar of 2014.
>>>
>>> I recall from my youth working in a cannery, a can is supposed to keep
>>> food good fer at least 5 yrs. What's the deal on those foil
>>> envelopes?
>>>
>>> Should I toss it or eat it?
>>>
>>> nb

>> For me, I won't get them.
>>
>> THere is a classic article where a young teen is being nasty to an
>> older person abut how her generation has to pay for the older person's
>> not being green but the facts were, the older folks didn't live in a
>> disposable economy and most things were reused.

>Agree.
>
>I've recently begun saving glass jars/bottles/etc jes so I don't hafta
>store crap in the plastic containers they might come in. I try and
>avoid plastic, wherever possible. 8|
>
>nb

I used to think my father was whaco for saving all sorts of glass
containers... nowadays hardly anything is in glass containers, I'm
glad I started saving glass containers... my favorites are wide mouth
one quart glass mayo jars... I even have some with metal lids.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:

> On 6 Sep 2017 23:11:43 GMT, notbob > wrote:

> >> For me, I won't get them.
> >>
> >> THere is a classic article where a young teen is being nasty to an
> >> older person abut how her generation has to pay for the older person's
> >> not being green but the facts were, the older folks didn't live in a
> >> disposable economy and most things were reused.

> >Agree.
> >
> >I've recently begun saving glass jars/bottles/etc jes so I don't hafta
> >store crap in the plastic containers they might come in. I try and
> >avoid plastic, wherever possible. 8|
> >
> >nb

> I used to think my father was whaco for saving all sorts of glass
> containers... nowadays hardly anything is in glass containers, I'm
> glad I started saving glass containers... my favorites are wide mouth
> one quart glass mayo jars... I even have some with metal lids.

I just bought a dozen wide mouth quart canning jars for storage, used to use mayo jars, they are no longer extant...

--
Best
Greg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 7:33:07 PM UTC-5, Ding - Dong Daddy wrote:

> I just bought a dozen wide mouth quart canning jars for storage, used to use mayo jars, they are no longer extant...
>
> Best
> Greg

About the only things that I can think of that come in glass jars
now are pickles, olives, relishes, jams and jellies. Probably
others but I can't recall them at the moment.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Sep 2017 17:49:22 -0700 (PDT), "
> wrote:

>On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 7:33:07 PM UTC-5, Ding - Dong Daddy wrote:
>>
>> I just bought a dozen wide mouth quart canning jars for storage, used to use mayo jars, they are no longer extant...
>>
>> Best
>> Greg
>>

>About the only things that I can think of that come in glass jars
>now are pickles, olives, relishes, jams and jellies. Probably
>others but I can't recall them at the moment.

Heinz pickle relish now is in a plastic squeeze bottle... I don't like
it, the hole is rather large so too much comes out at once... the
cheaper store brands are still in wide mouth glass jars, much better,
I prefer to scoop out how much I want with a spoon. Also that Heinz
plastic squeeze bottle probably costs more than what's in it, and the
empty plastic bottle has no other use... a total waste of resources.

Which is the better buy:
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Heinz-Swe...relish&veh=sem
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Heinz-Swe...ttle/942863106
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/6/2017 8:58 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> Heinz relish is still only in jars here.

hoke to death on it, you fat *******.

And lay off the gays, you insensitive jerkwad.

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

https://www.heb.com/search/?q=heinz+relish

>During the Memorial day - 4th - Labor day holidays they will sometimes
>have special combo packs of the squeezers: relish, ketchup, and
>mustard.
>
>I imagine you buy squeeze bottles every chance you get. You probably
>drink your Crystal Palace & diet soda out of squeeze bottles with
>nipples on top.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

" > Wrote in
message:
> On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 7:33:07 PM UTC-5, Ding - Dong Daddy wrote:
>>
>> I just bought a dozen wide mouth quart canning jars for storage, used to use mayo jars, they are no longer extant...
>>
>> Best
>> Greg
>>

> About the only things that I can think of that come in glass jars
> now are pickles, olives, relishes, jams and jellies. Probably
> others but I can't recall them at the moment.

In my fridge the only things in glass jars are capers (kind of
too smallto save and reuse but I might reconsider), and thinking
... that's about it. I get what you guys are saying because I
probably wouldn't wash and reuse the plastic ones.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Sep 2017, Cheryl wrote:

>In my fridge the only things in glass jars are capers (kind of
> too smallto save and reuse but I might reconsider), and thinking
> ... that's about it. I get what you guys are saying because I
> probably wouldn't wash and reuse the plastic ones.

A lot of food products are still in glass, sauces, condiments of all
kinds, even maraschino cherrys. Soy/hot sauce is in glass but they
are already changing over to plastic. I buy Kikkoman soy sauce in
bulk size to refill my small glass bottle but now the bulk size (qt)
is plastic, an omen that soon the small sizes will be in plastic.
Vinegars are now in plastic, I've saved the smaller glass ones to
refill.

I wash the small jars, they take little storage space and come in
handy for all sorts of storage including spices but not only food
items; they are good for small nails, nuts & bolts, paper clips,
thumbtacks, safety pins, etc., even buttons, whenever a garment
becomes a schmatah I snip off the buttons/findings (hooks n' eyes,
snaps, etc.) and save them, buying buttons and millinery items can be
expensive and older styles can be difficult/impossible to find. Buying
small glass jars can also be expensive so I don't throw them away.
Over the years I've received gift packs that contained tiny jars of
jams/jellies, they were awful so I tossed them but kept the nice
little jars. I received teh latest Lee Valley catalog yesterday and
saw this, nice small jars but check those prices, and they are
plastic:
http://www.leevalley.com/us/wood/pag...92&cat=1,43326
I save tall narrow olive jars instead.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/6/2017 10:21 PM, wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Sep 2017 17:49:22 -0700 (PDT), "
> > wrote:
>
>> On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 7:33:07 PM UTC-5, Ding - Dong Daddy wrote:
>>>
>>> I just bought a dozen wide mouth quart canning jars for storage, used to use mayo jars, they are no longer extant...
>>>
>>> Best
>>> Greg
>>>

>> About the only things that I can think of that come in glass jars
>> now are pickles, olives, relishes, jams and jellies. Probably
>> others but I can't recall them at the moment.

> Heinz pickle relish now is in a plastic squeeze bottle... I don't like
> it, the hole is rather large so too much comes out at once... the
> cheaper store brands are still in wide mouth glass jars, much better,
> I prefer to scoop out how much I want with a spoon. Also that Heinz
> plastic squeeze bottle probably costs more than what's in it, and the
> empty plastic bottle has no other use... a total waste of resources.
>
> Which is the better buy:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Heinz-Swe...relish&veh=sem
> https://www.walmart.com/ip/Heinz-Swe...ttle/942863106

You pay 65 cents extra for the squeeze bottle. No thanks, I'd rather
have the jar.

I have paid the extra for the squeeze bottle for Daisy sour cream. You
get 14 oz for the same price as 16 oz in the tub. The advantage is, the
squeeze bottle gets no air and lasts longer so if it is not used quickly
you don't toss anything.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 04:02:05 -0400 (EDT), Cheryl
> wrote:

" > Wrote in
> message:
>> On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 7:33:07 PM UTC-5, Ding - Dong Daddy wrote:
>>>
>>> I just bought a dozen wide mouth quart canning jars for storage, used to use mayo jars, they are no longer extant...
>>>
>>> Best
>>> Greg
>>>

>> About the only things that I can think of that come in glass jars
>> now are pickles, olives, relishes, jams and jellies. Probably
>> others but I can't recall them at the moment.
>>

>In my fridge the only things in glass jars are capers (kind of
> too smallto save and reuse but I might reconsider), and thinking
> ... that's about it. I get what you guys are saying because I
> probably wouldn't wash and reuse the plastic ones.

I even keep those caper glass jars, they are fabulous when you want to
shake up a small quantity of olive oil with vinegar and spices for
salad.

Our city has been big on recycling for years but I am reading now that
glass is not so great as it once was. It is cheaper for them to make
new glass bottles than to recycle. So plastic which can go into
things such as boards for the sun deck, or tshirts, carpets etc. are
now better
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 06 Sep 2017 20:29:00 -0400, wrote:

>On 6 Sep 2017 23:11:43 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>>> For me, I won't get them.
>>>
>>> THere is a classic article where a young teen is being nasty to an
>>> older person abut how her generation has to pay for the older person's
>>> not being green but the facts were, the older folks didn't live in a
>>> disposable economy and most things were reused.

>>Agree.
>>
>>I've recently begun saving glass jars/bottles/etc jes so I don't hafta
>>store crap in the plastic containers they might come in. I try and
>>avoid plastic, wherever possible. 8|
>>
>>nb

>I used to think my father was whaco for saving all sorts of glass
>containers... nowadays hardly anything is in glass containers, I'm
>glad I started saving glass containers... my favorites are wide mouth
>one quart glass mayo jars... I even have some with metal lids.

My favorites are the straight sided jars that come with horseradish.
They are perfect for storing bulk spices. Unfortunately I now have
far too many. I'll probably sell some at a yard sale.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 07 Sep 2017 09:12:41 -0600, U.S. Janet B. >
wrote:

> [...]

The most unlikely things were recycled when I was a kid. There was no
tape for parcels then and if you received one it was tied up with
string, carefully, tightly knotted. My grandmother used to sit one of
us down to unpick all the knots (sacrilege to even think of cutting
the string) until it would open. If I saw the postman had a parcel
with him, I made myself scarce so one of the others would have to do
it!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-07, U.S Janet B > wrote:

> My favorites are the straight sided jars that come with horseradish.

Likewise.

Also, Grey Poupon, Santa Barbara Olives, Better'n Boullion, most
Chinese spices/sauces, Pace Picante, etc.....

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 7 Sep 2017 15:29:16 GMT, notbob > wrote:

>On 2017-09-07, U.S Janet B > wrote:
>
>> My favorites are the straight sided jars that come with horseradish.

>Likewise.
>
>Also, Grey Poupon, Santa Barbara Olives, Better'n Boullion, most
>Chinese spices/sauces, Pace Picante, etc.....
>
>nb

I also save those large round cans that come with Palm corned beef.
I've made myself a bunch of muffin rings from those (rings you put
around muffin dough to bake them and hold their shape) Just remove
the top and bottom and you got rings. Also, a ring like this makes
perfect hamburger patties. Drop in the ground beef, pat down and
push the patty out the other side -- nice, even rounds.
Janet US

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default nip off teh end and can brush my teeth like six more times with what the brush can scoop out.

On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 10:06:28 -0400, Ed Pawlowski > wrote:

>On 9/6/2017 10:21 PM, wrote:
>> On Wed, 6 Sep 2017 17:49:22 -0700 (PDT), "
>> > wrote:

>>> About the only things that I can think of that come in glass jars
>>> now are pickles, olives, relishes, jams and jellies. Probably
>>> others but I can't recall them at the moment.

>> Heinz pickle relish now is in a plastic squeeze bottle... I don't like
>> it, the hole is rather large so too much comes out at once... the
>> cheaper store brands are still in wide mouth glass jars, much better,
>> I prefer to scoop out how much I want with a spoon. Also that Heinz
>> plastic squeeze bottle probably costs more than what's in it, and the
>> empty plastic bottle has no other use... a total waste of resources.
>>
>> Which is the better buy:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Heinz-Swe...relish&veh=sem
>> https://www.walmart.com/ip/Heinz-Swe...ttle/942863106
>>

>You pay 65 cents extra for the squeeze bottle. No thanks, I'd rather
>have the jar.

Also the squeeze bottles meant to be stood on their head contain a
thinner watered down product... the relish in glass jars is much less
watery... the Heinz relish in the squeeze bottle is too watery to
stay atop a hotdog, it flows down into the bottom of the roll, and if
you put mustard on first it washes the mustard down to the bottom of
the roll too. Heinz red is no longer the slowest in town... remember
how you used to have to pound your hand on the bottom of bottle, no
more, now it runs out like a waterfall. also it's so watery it
separates, if you don't shake that plastic bottle the first squeeze is
liquid.

>I have paid the extra for the squeeze bottle for Daisy sour cream. You
>get 14 oz for the same price as 16 oz in the tub. The advantage is, the
>squeeze bottle gets no air and lasts longer so if it is not used quickly
>you don't toss anything.

We very rarely buy sour cream but when we do it wouldn't last but a
few days.

Guldens mustard is now in a plastic squeeze bottle meant to stand on
its head but it's too thick to all run down, even with banging it on
the counter a lot coats the inside, and a lot staying inside that
convoluted cap. I slice that bottle in half with a sharp knife and
with a rubber spatula I get 2-3 more uses. I miss that iconic glass
Guldens jar.

Toothpaste tubes now being plastic it's not possible to squeeze it all
out, so I snip off the end and can get 6 more uses scooping with the
toothbrush.... even rolling that plastic tube and clamping with a
binder clip a lot of toothpaste remains... with the old metal tubes
with rolling you could squeeze out nearly every drop. There are still
some products packaged in the old style metal tubes, my Alberto VO5
Hairdressing is still in a metal tube... when I get it rolled to the
end I can still get 2-3 more dabs by squeezing with pliers... why
waste any, that VO5 ain't cheap.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 1:14:34 PM UTC-7, notbob wrote:
> I found a foil pkg of tuna, eat-by dated Mar of 2014.
>
> I recall from my youth working in a cannery, a can is supposed to keep
> food good fer at least 5 yrs. What's the deal on those foil
> envelopes?
>
> Should I toss it or eat it?
>
> nb

I had some I forgot in the pantry, it was also dated 2014. I opened it and it was just fine. I made salmon cakes out of it and it tasted good.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 9/7/2017 12:46 PM, Sqwertz wrote:
> The Daisy squeeze bottle costs $.20 more at HEB

Steve Wertz - unrepentant woman stalker and total head case begging poor
Omelet to shoot him with a sniper rifle in austin.food:

ost

3/18/2011 3:49 PM
Microsoft Internet News 4.70.1162
readnews.com - News for Geeks and ISPs
fa35d278.newsreader.readnews.com

Sorry I don't fit either of your Ideal Psycho Pal Profiles.

-sw

I'd prefer you use a sniper rifle on me from a few hundred yards away.
There you go - a reason for you to buy yet another gun and ammo.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-07, ImStillMags > wrote:

> On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 1:14:34 PM UTC-7, notbob wrote:

>> I found a foil pkg of tuna, eat-by dated Mar of 2014.

>> Should I toss it or eat it?

> I had some I forgot in the pantry, it was also dated 2014. I opened
> it and it was just fine. I made salmon cakes out of it and it
> tasted good.

Thank you for yer response.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tomato sauces, pizza and spaghetti sauces come in glass.

N.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 7, 2017 at 11:05:01 AM UTC-10, Nancy2 wrote:
> Tomato sauces, pizza and spaghetti sauces come in glass.
>
> N.

I like to buy spaghetti sauce in a can. They are fairly cheap. I have bought sauce in a bag but I'm afraid to open it.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/f7a...d57ad15.jp eg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thursday, September 7, 2017 at 6:09:13 AM UTC-10, U.S. Janet B. wrote:
> On 7 Sep 2017 15:29:16 GMT, notbob > wrote:
>
> >On 2017-09-07, U.S Janet B > wrote:
> >
> >> My favorites are the straight sided jars that come with horseradish.

> >Likewise.
> >
> >Also, Grey Poupon, Santa Barbara Olives, Better'n Boullion, most
> >Chinese spices/sauces, Pace Picante, etc.....
> >
> >nb

> I also save those large round cans that come with Palm corned beef.
> I've made myself a bunch of muffin rings from those (rings you put
> around muffin dough to bake them and hold their shape) Just remove
> the top and bottom and you got rings. Also, a ring like this makes
> perfect hamburger patties. Drop in the ground beef, pat down and
> push the patty out the other side -- nice, even rounds.
> Janet US

That's a pretty good idea - thanks!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 7 Sep 2017 13:50:26 +0100, Janet > wrote:

>In article >,
says...

>> On Wednesday, September 6, 2017 at 7:33:07 PM UTC-5, Ding - Dong Daddy wrote:
>> >
>> > I just bought a dozen wide mouth quart canning jars for storage, used to use mayo jars, they are no longer extant...
>> >
>> > Best
>> > Greg
>> >

>> About the only things that I can think of that come in glass jars
>> now are pickles, olives, relishes, jams and jellies. Probably
>> others but I can't recall them at the moment.

> Polish goods in UK supermarkets, often come in really useful glass
>containers. I confess to having chosen East European olives and pickles
>because their glass jar was so attractive or such a good size for future
>storage use.
>
> I store most pantry goods in glass and decant dried goods from their
>plastic bag into glass. Easy to find on the shelves.

I have a can of white spray paint that I use to paint over the lids on
nice glass jars. Makes them look quite nice.

Doris
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 06 Sep 2017 22:21:11 -0400, wrote:
>
>> Heinz pickle relish now is in a plastic squeeze bottle... I don't like
>> it, the hole is rather large so too much comes out at once...

> Heinz relish is still only in jars here.

https://www.heb.com/search/?q=heinz+relish

> During the Memorial day - 4th - Labor day holidays they will sometimes
> have special combo packs of the squeezers: relish, ketchup, and
> mustard.
>
> I imagine you buy squeeze bottles every chance you get. You probably
> drink your Crystal Palace & diet soda out of squeeze bottles with
> nipples on top.

Oh Lordy. I got a visual. Now I need the eye bleach.