Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default American Cookes (peanut, chocolate etc)

On 9/16/2017 1:23 PM, Gary wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>>
>> On 9/16/2017 8:26 AM, Nancy2 wrote:
>>> dsl1, re the old folks and oatmeal....the older they get, the more they need the extra fiber
>>> from oatmeal. ;-))
>>>
>>> N.
>>>

>> Nancy2, some people just like oatmeal.
>>
>> Jill

> I do. I eat it occasionally because I like it. Any health
> benefits are just a bonus.

Truly! I eat it a couple of times a year. I grew up with it. I didn't
think about the "fiber". Neither did my mom. It was a hot breakfast
cereal she made when it was snowing outside and we wanted to go out and
build a snow fort or have a snowball fight.

Jill
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message

> I've always loved oatmeal, usually the old-fashioned Quaaker rolled
> oats. Back in the day it was pretty much the norm for mothers to
> feed their kids oatmeal a couple of times a week, especially during
> the winter. Where I lived you might not be considered a very good
> mother if you didn't feed your kids a hot breakfast. It might be
> oatmeal, an egg breakfast, pancakes, etc.

When my kids were small they sometimes asked for oatmeal for dinner.

Cheri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> When my kids were small they sometimes asked for oatmeal for dinner.

I still do that on cold winter nights, very satisfying...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 2:26:58 AM UTC-10, Nancy2 wrote:
> dsl1, re the old folks and oatmeal....the older they get, the more they need the extra fiber
> from oatmeal. ;-))
>
> N.

My observation was that people somehow instinctively gravitate towards certain foods as they get older. That's unusual but it may be a universal trait. Over here, they start to favor one fruit. It's not apples or bananas - it's papaya. How odd.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-16 1:39 PM, jmcquown wrote:
> On 9/16/2017 1:17 PM, Dave Smith wrote:

>>> Nancy2, some people just like oatmeal.
>>>

>> I do. I love it. If it wasn't for the number it does on my guts I
>> would eat it every day. It has to be the real deal, not the instant or
>> quick cooking stuff.
>>

> Quick cooking oats are good for making cookies.

True. Many cookie, pancake and muffin recipes call for quick cooking. I
can't be bothering keeping both on hand do I sub with large flake. If
their is soaking involved I soak it longer, or else I blitz it in the
food processor.

> I grew up eating oatmeal.Â* I don't know what kind Mom bought but it
> wasn't "instant".Â* I certainly didn't have digestive issues as a child.
> It was simply something my mother cooked for my brothers and me for
> breakfast during the winter (snow!) before school.Â* Or before we went
> out in our snow-suits to have snowball fights or go sledding.

My mother used to make it for breakfast several times a week. She got up
and cooked it first thing in the morning for my father and then kept it
warm in a double boiler and my brothers and I had ours. My pet rabbit
got whatever was left over.

> Hot cereals were not uncommon where it's cold.Â* Maypo, Cream of Wheat.
> Not something dsi1 need be concerned about.Â* You get my point to Nancy2.
> Â*Enjoying oatmeal is not age related.

Perhaps some old people rediscover it, and when they are retired they
have time to cook it and enjoy it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 4:11:09 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 2:26:58 AM UTC-10, Nancy2 wrote:
> > dsl1, re the old folks and oatmeal....the older they get, the more they need the extra fiber
> > from oatmeal. ;-))
> >
> > N.

> My observation was that people somehow instinctively gravitate towards certain foods as they get older. That's unusual but it may be a universal trait. Over here, they start to favor one fruit. It's not apples or bananas - it's papaya. How odd.

How much do papayas cost, compared to apples or bananas? If I remember, I'll
check to see if I can even get papaya here, and how much it costs.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 1:34:40 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> How much do papayas cost, compared to apples or bananas? If I remember, I'll
> check to see if I can even get papaya here, and how much it costs.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

My guess is that papaya might be about the same per pound as bananas. It was my job to go to the market every couple of days to buy some papaya for my 80lb mother-in-law. It was also my job to cook up oatmeal for her in the morning. Extra sugar was my secret. These two things were the only foods that she could reliably eat. There's something about them that makes it suitable for the guts of the aged. I won't speculate on what that is.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 12:37:52 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> Perhaps some old people rediscover it, and when they are retired they
> have time to cook it and enjoy it.

Most people don't eat oatmeal. Mostly, it's kids and old folks. When they're kids, their mommies make it for them. When they're old, their kids make it for them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 12:37:52 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps some old people rediscover it, and when they are retired they
>> have time to cook it and enjoy it.

> Most people don't eat oatmeal. Mostly, it's kids and old folks. When
> they're kids, their mommies make it for them. When they're old, their kids
> make it for them.

==

My DH has had oatmeal most mornings since I've been married to him, 53+
years, he does make his own so that's a plus.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 3:04:23 PM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:

> ==
>
> My DH has had oatmeal most mornings since I've been married to him, 53+
> years, he does make his own so that's a plus.
>
> Cheri

He's getting a head start. It's probably a better breakfast than what most people have.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> On 2017-09-16 1:39 PM, jmcquown wrote:

>>> I do. I love it. If it wasn't for the number it does on my guts I
>>> would eat it every day. It has to be the real deal, not the instant or
>>> quick cooking stuff.
>>>

>> Quick cooking oats are good for making cookies.

> True. Many cookie, pancake and muffin recipes call for quick cooking. I
> can't be bothering keeping both on hand do I sub with large flake. If
> their is soaking involved I soak it longer, or else I blitz it in the
> food processor.
>>
>> I grew up eating oatmeal.* I don't know what kind Mom bought but it
>> wasn't "instant".* I certainly didn't have digestive issues as a child.
>> It was simply something my mother cooked for my brothers and me for
>> breakfast during the winter (snow!) before school.* Or before we went
>> out in our snow-suits to have snowball fights or go sledding.

> My mother used to make it for breakfast several times a week. She got up
> and cooked it first thing in the morning for my father and then kept it
> warm in a double boiler and my brothers and I had ours. My pet rabbit
> got whatever was left over.
>

>> Hot cereals were not uncommon where it's cold.* Maypo, Cream of Wheat.
>> Not something dsi1 need be concerned about.* You get my point to Nancy2.
>> *Enjoying oatmeal is not age related.

> Perhaps some old people rediscover it, and when they are retired they
> have time to cook it and enjoy it.

I sure do, at least once a week!

Angie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 5:32:01 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 1:34:40 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > How much do papayas cost, compared to apples or bananas? If I remember, I'll
> > check to see if I can even get papaya here, and how much it costs.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> My guess is that papaya might be about the same per pound as bananas. It was my job to go to the market every couple of days to buy some papaya for my 80lb mother-in-law. It was also my job to cook up oatmeal for her in the morning. Extra sugar was my secret. These two things were the only foods that she could reliably eat. There's something about them that makes it suitable for the guts of the aged. I won't speculate on what that is.

My guess is that it would be much more per pound than bananas, because of
low demand for it. I'll try my regular grocery store, which has a lot
of odd produce because they want to attract Asians. I'll put it on my
shopping list so I think to look at it. It'll be Thursday before I get
there, though.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sunday, September 17, 2017 at 8:58:07 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 12:37:52 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps some old people rediscover it, and when they are retired they
> > have time to cook it and enjoy it.

> Most people don't eat oatmeal. Mostly, it's kids and old folks. When they're kids, their mommies make it for them. When they're old, their kids make it for them.

How old is "old". My mother very rarely made breakfast for me, so I had a
lot of cold cereal. Over the years, I've occasionally had oatmeal, but for
the last 5 years I've had it every morning for breakfast. I'm 60 now, so
I started when I was 55.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 12:37:52 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> > Perhaps some old people rediscover it, and when they are retired they
> > have time to cook it and enjoy it.

> Most people don't eat oatmeal. Mostly, it's kids and old folks. When they're kids, their mommies make it for them. When they're old, their kids make it for them.

LOL! Sounds like "paybacks!" You made me eat this crap when I
was a kid, mommie. Now that I'm taking care of you, guess what
breakfast will be from now on? LOL ;-)

Of course, I'm just kidding. I do like oatmeal occasionally. As
said before, I like it with butter and some brown sugar.
Sometimes add rehydrated raisins too. It's a nice late night
snack for me whenever I care to bother making it. It's a
quick-to-fix meal too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> dsi1 wrote:
> > My guess is that papaya might be about the same per pound as bananas

Maybe in tropical areas like you. Definitely not on the mainland.
Exotic fruit here and cost way more than bananas and apples.
Maybe 1-2 dollars each? It varies.

I needed celery today. $2.29 per pound.
Total ripoff but I needed it so I let them screw me this morning.

Oh and Cindy, I was jumping off your post. I meant to look at
cost of papaya's this morning but I forgot. Way more than bananas
though.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Gary" > wrote in message ...

> I needed celery today. $2.29 per pound.
> Total ripoff but I needed it so I let them screw me this morning.

Wow, that's a high price for celery, too bad you needed it but that happens
sometimes. One store here charges $1.99 per pound for cauliflower instead of
a set price per head, I don't believe they sell much.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2017-09-17 8:58 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On Saturday, September 16, 2017 at 12:37:52 PM UTC-10, Dave Smith
> wrote:
>>
>> Perhaps some old people rediscover it, and when they are retired
>> they have time to cook it and enjoy it.

> Most people don't eat oatmeal. Mostly, it's kids and old folks. When
> they're kids, their mommies make it for them. When they're old, their
> kids make it for them.

Maybe it is a regional thing. I can tell you that I have eaten oatmeal
all my life and I know lots of others who do. When we go to family camp
there is always a long line to the large pot of oatmeal and people of
all ages get it.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> I can tell you that I have eaten oatmeal
> all my life and I know lots of others who do. When we go to family camp
> there is always a long line to the large pot of oatmeal and people of
> all ages get it.

WTH is "family camp?"
And long lines to get a scoop of oatmeal from a large pot?
Do you actually volunteer to go to this camp?

lol Just messing with you but
what you said does sound a bit odd.

Sounds more like some concentration camp deal.
sounds kinda like this situation about life in hell:
http://i39.tinypic.com/2elau0z.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheri wrote:

> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
>
> > I needed celery today. $2.29 per pound.
> > Total ripoff but I needed it so I let them screw me this morning.

> Wow, that's a high price for celery, too bad you needed it but that happens
> sometimes. One store here charges $1.99 per pound for cauliflower instead of
> a set price per head, I don't believe they sell much.

Actually (sorry) I meant per bunch, not per pound. Regardless,
all I needed for this soup recipe is maybe 2-3 stalks of celery
and I had to buy the entire thing. Often, in these situations,
the rest sits in produce drawer, goes soft then bad and gets
thrown out eventually. I'll try to use all this extra this time
before it goes bad.

Maybe even a thing from my childhood - celery stalk with peanut
butter filled into the "valley." We did that with cheese too back
when we usually had the soft velveeta cheese handy.

I bought "goat cheese" last week and still haven't opened it.
Will try on crackers? Or maybe I can try that to fill in a celery
stalk tonight? No idea. I've never tasted goat cheese.
hmmmmmm...stay tuned..
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 12:06:07 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> My guess is that it would be much more per pound than bananas, because of
> low demand for it. I'll try my regular grocery store, which has a lot
> of odd produce because they want to attract Asians. I'll put it on my
> shopping list so I think to look at it. It'll be Thursday before I get
> there, though.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Beats me what they cost where you're at. Papaya is grown on this side of the island. My step-mom's sister's family had a papaya farm. We used to get giant mutant papayas that were unsaleable.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 12:07:52 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:

> How old is "old". My mother very rarely made breakfast for me, so I had a
> lot of cold cereal. Over the years, I've occasionally had oatmeal, but for
> the last 5 years I've had it every morning for breakfast. I'm 60 now, so
> I started when I was 55.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Beat me how old is old. My guess is that you'll know it when you grow into it. As far as I know, oatmeal is not trending with the younger generation. I'll let you know if I see any movement in that area.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 3:30:27 AM UTC-10, Gary wrote:

> LOL! Sounds like "paybacks!" You made me eat this crap when I
> was a kid, mommie. Now that I'm taking care of you, guess what
> breakfast will be from now on? LOL ;-)
>
> Of course, I'm just kidding. I do like oatmeal occasionally. As
> said before, I like it with butter and some brown sugar.
> Sometimes add rehydrated raisins too. It's a nice late night
> snack for me whenever I care to bother making it. It's a
> quick-to-fix meal too.

Yes, revenge is awesome! I made that for my mother-in-law because that's what she could stomach. For a while she took THC pills. That worked great at increasing her appetite but it made her loopy. A bowl of oatmeal doesn't sound like a bad idea right now... uh oh, that's probably not a good sign.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 4:05:51 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:

> Maybe it is a regional thing. I can tell you that I have eaten oatmeal
> all my life and I know lots of others who do. When we go to family camp
> there is always a long line to the large pot of oatmeal and people of
> all ages get it.

I'll agree that it's probably a regional thing - at least it's not a big deal out here in the tropics.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"dsi1" > wrote in message
> On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 12:06:07 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>>
>> My guess is that it would be much more per pound than bananas, because of
>> low demand for it. I'll try my regular grocery store, which has a lot
>> of odd produce because they want to attract Asians. I'll put it on my
>> shopping list so I think to look at it. It'll be Thursday before I get
>> there, though.
>>
>> Cindy Hamilton

> Beats me what they cost where you're at. Papaya is grown on this side of
> the island. My step-mom's sister's family had a papaya farm. We used to
> get giant mutant papayas that were unsaleable.

=====

It seems they're having outbreaks of salmonella with the papaya from Mexico,
I'll pass for now.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 12:45:31 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 4:05:51 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> >
> > Maybe it is a regional thing. I can tell you that I have eaten oatmeal
> > all my life and I know lots of others who do. When we go to family camp
> > there is always a long line to the large pot of oatmeal and people of
> > all ages get it.

> I'll agree that it's probably a regional thing - at least it's not a big deal out here in the tropics.

Well, it wouldn't be, would it? Hot oatmeal is a pretty good base for
shoveling two feet of snow off of the driveway in a driving north wind.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 8:25:07 AM UTC-10, Cheri wrote:

> It seems they're having outbreaks of salmonella with the papaya from Mexico,
> I'll pass for now.
>
> Cheri

Hep A is trending at the moment too. If you ask me, I think it's going to catch on big time.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 8:39:30 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 12:45:31 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> > On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 4:05:51 AM UTC-10, Dave Smith wrote:
> > >
> > > Maybe it is a regional thing. I can tell you that I have eaten oatmeal
> > > all my life and I know lots of others who do. When we go to family camp
> > > there is always a long line to the large pot of oatmeal and people of
> > > all ages get it.

> > I'll agree that it's probably a regional thing - at least it's not a big deal out here in the tropics.

> Well, it wouldn't be, would it? Hot oatmeal is a pretty good base for
> shoveling two feet of snow off of the driveway in a driving north wind.
>
> Cindy Hamilton

Yeah, that was my point.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gary wrote:
>Cindy Hamilton wrote:
>> dsi1 wrote:
>>
>> > My guess is that papaya might be about the same per pound as bananas

Depends where purchased... at the Hispanic markets in NYC bananas and
papayas cost about the same per pound... and they can be selling
several types of papayas and several types of bananas... down the road
a short distance at a lily white market a papaya can cost three times
the price of a pound of bananas.

>Maybe in tropical areas like you. Definitely not on the mainland.
>Exotic fruit here and cost way more than bananas and apples.
>Maybe 1-2 dollars each? It varies.
>
>I needed celery today. $2.29 per pound.
>Total ripoff but I needed it so I let them screw me this morning.

I've never seen celery sold by weight... only by the bunch... this
week large bunches are on sale at 99¢ a bunch, which is less than half
the regular price.... typically celery here costs about $2.69/bunch.

>Oh and Cindy, I was jumping off your post. I meant to look at
>cost of papaya's this morning but I forgot. Way more than bananas
>though.

Fresh papaya is one fruit I don't like to eat, its fibers get stuck
between my teeth.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheri" wrote:
>"Gary" wrote:
>
>> I needed celery today. $2.29 per pound.
>> Total ripoff but I needed it so I let them screw me this morning.

>Wow, that's a high price for celery, too bad you needed it but that happens
>sometimes. One store here charges $1.99 per pound for cauliflower instead of
>a set price per head, I don't believe they sell much.

Celery needs a long hot growing season, I've tried but it won't grow
here... most celery in the US grows in central California. Cauliflower
is a cool/cold weather crop so grows very well here, it grows too well
here so it's typically less than a dollar a large head and sometimes
two heads for a dollar. I've grown cauliflower but at the prices I
can buy it I don't bother growing any.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 18 Sep 2017 10:31:47 -0400, Gary > wrote:

>Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
>>
>> > I needed celery today. $2.29 per pound.
>> > Total ripoff but I needed it so I let them screw me this morning.

>> Wow, that's a high price for celery, too bad you needed it but that happens
>> sometimes. One store here charges $1.99 per pound for cauliflower instead of
>> a set price per head, I don't believe they sell much.

>Actually (sorry) I meant per bunch, not per pound. Regardless,
>all I needed for this soup recipe is maybe 2-3 stalks of celery
>and I had to buy the entire thing. Often, in these situations,
>the rest sits in produce drawer, goes soft then bad and gets
>thrown out eventually. I'll try to use all this extra this time
>before it goes bad.
>
>Maybe even a thing from my childhood - celery stalk with peanut
>butter filled into the "valley." We did that with cheese too back
>when we usually had the soft velveeta cheese handy.

Celery is good stuffed with cream cheese... better when the cream
cheese is mixed with raisins or chopped dates.... celery is also good
stuffed with egg salad, even with tuna salad.
I can use up a lot of celery in a Chinese stir fry.

>I bought "goat cheese" last week and still haven't opened it.
>Will try on crackers? Or maybe I can try that to fill in a celery
>stalk tonight? No idea. I've never tasted goat cheese.
>hmmmmmm...stay tuned..

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message

> Celery needs a long hot growing season, I've tried but it won't grow
> here... most celery in the US grows in central California. Cauliflower
> is a cool/cold weather crop so grows very well here, it grows too well
> here so it's typically less than a dollar a large head and sometimes
> two heads for a dollar. I've grown cauliflower but at the prices I
> can buy it I don't bother growing any.

I usually get some really nice big heads of Cauliflower at the .99 cent
store. Otherwise it is fairly expensive right now at supermarkets.

Cheri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 12:28:39 PM UTC-4, dsi1 wrote:
> On Monday, September 18, 2017 at 12:06:07 AM UTC-10, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
> >
> > My guess is that it would be much more per pound than bananas, because of
> > low demand for it. I'll try my regular grocery store, which has a lot
> > of odd produce because they want to attract Asians. I'll put it on my
> > shopping list so I think to look at it. It'll be Thursday before I get
> > there, though.
> >
> > Cindy Hamilton

> Beats me what they cost where you're at. Papaya is grown on this side of the island. My step-mom's sister's family had a papaya farm. We used to get giant mutant papayas that were unsaleable.

Ok, so I finally got to the grocery store. The had two kinds of papayas.
Big ones that weighed about 3 pounds and cost $3.49 each, and smaller ones
that weighed about 3/4 pound and were $2.50 each. Bananas were $0.49 per
pound. The papayas were either $1.16 or $3.33 per pound.

I have to say, the big papayas didn't look all that ripe (not that I'd
know what to look for, but they seemed quite firm). The small ones were
soft and kind of beat-up looking.

Cindy Hamilton